PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Anime: Spring Season 2018

Munsu
Sat, 03-31-2018, 12:19 PM
Been a while since one of these was started, so let's get this back on track.

Sources:
http://anichart.net/Spring-2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2018/spring

On a quick look this ones either caught my eye:

Full Metal Panic! Invisible Victory - Pissed that it's only 12 episodes, but I'm hoping for more after. Regardless, FMP is always a must watch.

FLCL Progressive - I admit, I'm not sure how this will be turned out. FLCL was so iconic with the mix of cool action, music, and wackiness that I'm a bit fearful that it'll manage to get that formula going again.

Boku no Hero Academia 3

Shokugeki no Souma: San no Sara - Tootsuki Ressha-hen

Captain Tsubasa (2018) - I've always wanted to get into the Captain Tsubasa series, but it seemed like a daunting task. Maybe with a remake I can give it a shot.

Legend of Galactic Heroes TV - TV adaptation of the long OVA series. The OVA is awesome (even though I never quite finished it, but always intend to). I do fear that the TV series will not give the original justice, but might be worth a look.

Major 2nd - Big fan of the original Major sequence, not sure how I'll enjoy this particularly with Goro mostly out of the picture, but I'm sure it'll scratch some itch for me.

Tokyo Ghoul:re - Well, I still need to watch Tokyo Ghoul Root A, which I recall many of you being disappointed in, but I want to catch up regardless.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online - Well, we'll see how this goes with another MC I guess.

Just an honorable mention for Steins;Gate 0 which I know plenty here were fans of. I began watching it a while back, didn't get far. I need to try again. Were there fans of Amanchu! as well? What about Cutie Honey?

Looks like this season has a lot of nostalgia and continuations. I'm hoping there's something original that ends up being good.

On that regard, these ones will get at least a look from me:

Golden Kamui
Devil's Line
Mahou Shoujo Site
Caligula
Hinamatsuri
Megalo Box
Dorei-ku The Animation
Juushinki Pandora
Gurazeni

This seems like a packed season for me overall, but it'll depend a lot on how those sequels/remakes go. To say nothing that there's quite a few continuations for shows I'm following as it is.

David75
Sat, 03-31-2018, 12:52 PM
Captain Tsubasa was great as a boy. Will see if they evolved the demographic target...

I watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes. Left some kind of nostalgic feeling. Will see how it turns out.

Amanchu ! was an easy watch to spend some time instead of being bored. But nothing greater than that, at least for me.

For the rest, well I'll binge watch all first eps and will see what sticks.

Munsu
Sat, 03-31-2018, 12:54 PM
Captain Tsubasa was great as a boy. Will see if they evolved the demographic target...

I watched all of Legend of Galactic Heroes. Left some kind of nostalgic feeling. Will see how it turns out.

Amanchu ! was an easy watch to spend some time instead of being bored. But nothing greater than that, at least for me.

For the rest, well I'll binge watch all first eps and will see what sticks.

You've never watched Full Metal Panic, or just not a fan of it?

David75
Sat, 03-31-2018, 01:59 PM
FMP was nice, but I can't remember much of it, so I guess it didn't leave an impression on me. I'll watch the sequel for sure.

Kraco
Sat, 03-31-2018, 02:48 PM
FMP is one of my favourite series. I've watched it half a dozen times.

LoGH is good in a sense, but it's also one of the archetypes of the genius made wrong tropes. That's also why I never finished it, though I got pretty close to the end. I do have at least a slim hope the new version would try to fix that to a degree due to having CGI at their disposal, but who knows. It's not like space battles would have been the only place where the flaw shows.

There are a bunch of titles I'm familiar with this time, and I guess I'll try to check them out, like Golden Kamui and Hinamatsuri. I'm not sure I'll bother to watch what I've read already, though, even though they are quite decent stories.

Munsu
Sat, 03-31-2018, 02:53 PM
FMP is one of my favourite series. I've watched it half a dozen times.

LoGH is good in a sense, but it's also one of the archetypes of the genius made wrong tropes. That's also why I never finished it, though I got pretty close to the end. I do have at least a slim hope the new version would try to fix that to a degree due to having CGI at their disposal, but who knows. It's not like space battles would have been the only place where the flaw shows.

There are a bunch of titles I'm familiar with this time, and I guess I'll try to check them out, like Golden Kamui and Hinamatsuri. I'm not sure I'll bother to watch what I've read already, though, even though they are quite decent stories.

Which ones have you read that are quite decent stories?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-31-2018, 04:42 PM
You all MUST watch Hinamatsuri. It will change your lives.

Kraco
Sat, 03-31-2018, 05:21 PM
Which ones have you read that are quite decent stories?

Golden Kamui and Hinamatsuri. I haven't read all of what's out, but quite a lot. They are both quality series.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 04-01-2018, 12:26 PM
HeroAca3. FLCL.

David75
Sun, 04-01-2018, 02:26 PM
There's a LoGH raw out, a little too compressed for my tastes, but at least we have modern 3D rendering and updated character designs.
That first ep remains true to the show in every bit I can remember. Since it's an alternate story, I wonder what they want to change.

Munsu
Sun, 04-01-2018, 03:00 PM
Some other shows worth mentioning that came out in Netflix recently:

B: The Beginning - Already watched, overall OK for my tastes, but was pleased that they attempted something of quality.

A.I.C.O. Incarnation - Watched the first episode and seemed messy and couldn't get into it enough to take it seriously, not sure if I'll continue.

SWORDGAI: The Animation - Watched it, honestly thought it sucked. Had a couple of cool scenes here and there, but it was crap in all.

There's an upcoming Lost Song which I have no clue on.

MFauli
Mon, 04-02-2018, 10:02 AM
Most hyped for:

- Ginga Eiyuu (original is a masterpiece, very skeptical of this remake, but it's such a great setting)
- Tsubasa (the original is still great, enjoyable even to my 32 year old self. Curious to see how this goes)
- Megalo Box (very promising teaser)
- Steins;Gate 0 (honestly, stop watching anime if you don't like this)

Trying some other shows, too, but nothing high profile. Watched episode 1 of Gegege no Kitaro. Enjoyable, but need to see more.

Munsu
Sun, 04-15-2018, 01:23 PM
So, small update of the new series I've tried:

Major 2nd - Began better than I expected.

Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online - Haven't watched, but did a quick browse of the first episode, and it honestly looked like crap. Someone will have to convince me if this is worth watching.

Golden Kamui - Not as good as a first episode as I was hoping, so on the fence on it so far. At least it promises to have good action, so we'll see.

Devil's Line - After 1 episode, this screamed crappy Paranormal Romance to me. Will probably drop.

Mahou Shoujo Site - This one is a senseless fucked up series. Will keep watching just because of that, but it puts the main character in some really unbelievable circumstances. I can say that, but then you see the news and see how some very fucked up shit happens, so... whatever.

Caligula - Yeah, first episode was a complete mess.

Hinamatsuri - Two episodes in, and it's incredibly fun. Must watch for me.

Megalo Box - Two episode in and really enjoying it.

Gurazeni - Won't say it's good or anything, but honestly something laid back and refreshing for me to watch. So, I'll continue watching without much expectations.

David75
Thu, 04-19-2018, 09:12 AM
Steins;gate 0 first ep was boring.
but next one sure brought me back to the Steins;gate setting I liked.
I was surprised I didn't find a thread for that anime, getting old maybe ;)

Munsu
Thu, 04-19-2018, 02:07 PM
I guess you can always use the old thread if no one bothers to create a new thread for the new series. I'm not watching it.

https://forums.gotwoot.org/showthread.php/19818-Steins-Gate/

David75
Thu, 04-19-2018, 02:55 PM
Thanks, I did not find that thread with the search function.

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-22-2018, 03:05 PM
The new sword art online is actually pretty funny, especially when that military dude explained to a middleschool girl how to kill someone with a knife.

That did totally remind me of Colonel from battlefriends.