PDA

View Full Version : Violet Evergarden

David75
Thu, 02-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Please watch at least the first ep before even reading the summary/synopsis as it will spoil your experience.
I like that anime as it is, nothing is perfect, but I like it as it is.
I'm trying not to spoil a possible surprise. I will participate in discussion later.
Please enjoy.

Summary from Anime Expo:

There are words Violet heard on the battlefield, which she cannot forget. These words were given to her by someone she holds dear, more than anyone else. She does not yet know their meaning.A certain point in time, in the continent of Telesis. The great war which divided the continent into North and South has ended after four years, and the people are welcoming a new generation.
Violet Evergarden, a young girl formerly known as “the weapon”, has left the battlefield to start a new life at CH Postal Service. There, she is deeply moved by the work of “Auto Memories Dolls”, who carry people’s thoughts and convert them into words.
Violet begins her journey as an Auto Memories Doll, and comes face to face with various people’s emotions and differing shapes of love. All the while searching for the meaning of those words.

neflight86
Thu, 02-15-2018, 11:07 PM
It's KyoAni, so I'm always in. Nice premise that's essentially 'soldier reintegrating into society'. Unfortunately, the "I don't understand emotion" trope has worn thin for me since before FMP made it popular. Still, I like the characters, the detailed animation, and the simuldub isn't half bad. Recommended.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-26-2018, 07:43 AM
Kyoani nailed the character design, visuals and feels in their usual excellence. Everything up to episode 07 has been very enjoyable.

David75
Mon, 02-26-2018, 11:07 AM
Right ?
The show I'm waiting for each week this season.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-02-2018, 06:07 AM
Episode 08

---------------------------------

Meanwhile though, Violet's own story with the Major doesn't seem to touching. I think it's because it's too expected/cliche.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 03-02-2018, 09:15 AM
She basically just imprinted on him.

David75
Fri, 03-02-2018, 12:23 PM
Yup, that's a part I could do without.
But I also understand that her background also adds to the show's atmosphere. So although I hated that ep for what it depicts, I understand it's a necessary evil.

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-03-2018, 05:30 AM
Started watching this, and the music is amazing, so minimalistic and calm.

edit:

speaking of which... wasn't there a dedicated site for Anime OSTs or something. I really need to keep an eye out for this one when it comes out... mostly because of the song that is being played when she - for example - delivers the letter to her classmate's drunken brother in ep2 or 3.

Can someone help?

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-08-2018, 10:48 AM
Really loved this episode but I have a feeling she's going to go back into fighting in the final episodes with this Anti-Peace faction growing.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-09-2018, 12:51 AM
I was cringing for a moment, thinking that perhaps the Major survived, lost his memory, and was fighting as an Anti-Peace person. It could still happen.

edit: @Kray: nipponsei, anime sharing live, and Gendou were big back in the day. Places are hard to find now. http://soundflac.com/ seems active, and Nyaa does an okay job of collecting anime music from various sources.

Personally I just google-search this and usually find lossless downloads of what I want on some Chinese upload site.

This place uses a binary client and I have no idea if it's good or active. http://animeost.info/

neflight86
Fri, 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM
Ep 10

That's dirty pool, mister... They used all of the tricks to get manly eye sweat out of me, and they worked. I was actually surprised to see Violet resent someone, justified or not. I suppose that speaks to her character growth or the development of a personality.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-16-2018, 10:29 AM
My wife and I cried the entire episode.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Wait, where in this episode did Violet resent someone?

David75
Fri, 03-16-2018, 01:28 PM
That's what I want in my weekly Violet Evergarden episode.
My Maiden heart approves :o

neflight86
Fri, 03-16-2018, 02:09 PM
Wait, where in this episode did Violet resent someone?

At the very end of the ep, after the letters were explained, when Violet was finally breaking into tears at the office, in the dub, she called the mother a b**** for making her (Violet) hold tears back the entire time.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-16-2018, 06:47 PM
At the very end of the ep, after the letters were explained, when Violet was finally breaking into tears at the office, in the dub, she called the mother a b**** for making her (Violet) hold tears back the entire time.

Lol wtf. The subs mentioned nothing of the sort. She was a saying that she had to hold back her tears.

neflight86
Fri, 03-16-2018, 07:33 PM
Whoops. I'd say I should switch to subs, but I'm already 10 eps in. Chalk one up for literary lisence, I suppose.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-17-2018, 05:05 AM
Now I almost want to watch it. "Bitch wouldn't even let me cry" would be hilarious.

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-17-2018, 07:17 AM
I'm not crying - you are crying!

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-07-2018, 06:19 AM
Episode 13

---------------------------------------------

that tease at the very end...
Not sure if the show needed it, at least not in the way it was presented. Though admittedly, I hoped for something similar - that play-writer episodes a few weeks ago got to me when he said "I wish she hadn't died, I wanted her to live on and grow up - How I wish it were so!" It's simply too hard to accept something like that.

The ending before the little outro scene however was excellent. I guess we get to choose where we wanted it to stop.