PDA

View Full Version : DARLING in the FRANKXX

Munsu
Sun, 01-14-2018, 05:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWhTQ_eF8Z4

In the distant future the land is ruined and humanity establishes the mobile fort city Plantation. Pilots produced inside Plantation live in Mistilteinn, also know as the "birdcage." Children live there knowing nothing of the outside world or the freedom of the sky. Their lives consist of battling to carry out missions. Their enemies are mysterious giant lifeforms known as Kyōryū, and the children pilot robots called Franxx to face off against them. For the children, riding the Franxx proves their existence. A boy named Hiro is called Code:016, and he was once known as a prodigy. However, he has fallen behind, and his existence seems unnecessary. Not piloting a Franxx is the same as ceasing to exist. One day, a mysterious girl known as "Zero Two" appears before him. Two horns grow out of her head.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=19850

Just watched first episode of DARLING in the FRANKXX, not sure on it yet, but cautiously optimistic, but it could go either way.

https://nyaa.si/view/996002/torrent

That said, I'm fairly confident that Zero Two will be a contender for fan favorite this season.

https://i.imgur.com/yP4am2t.jpg

David75
Mon, 01-15-2018, 05:22 AM
Nice interaction for the main cast. But honnestly the beast and Frankxx designs are downright awful for my tastes.
In contrast I love the fanservice girl a lot, as you pointed.

Munsu
Mon, 01-15-2018, 06:35 AM
Nice interaction for the main cast. But honnestly the beast and Frankxx designs are downright awful for my tastes.
In contrast I love the fanservice girl a lot, as you pointed.

After your comments on the other thread, I thought this was going to be the case for you.

David75
Mon, 01-15-2018, 06:46 AM
The designs are ok for everything else but the Frankxx and that monster. The other thread you mention is Devilman?

Munsu
Mon, 01-15-2018, 06:57 AM
The designs are ok for everything else but the Frankxx and that monster. The other thread you mention is Devilman?

Yeah, but I misread what you wrote. I thought you were referring to the violence, etc. But that aside, I agree those mecha type designs didn't look good.

David75
Mon, 01-15-2018, 07:07 AM
The violence in that show is not comparable at all. There's some fighting, but it's not as vesceral/gore/psychological (if at all) compared to devilman.
It's totally possible I watch that show for 02 only :D

Munsu
Mon, 01-15-2018, 07:15 AM
The violence in that show is not comparable at all. There's some fighting, but it's not as vesceral/gore/psychological (if at all) compared to devilman.
It's totally possible I watch that show for 02 only :D

I haven't watched Devilman: Crybaby yet, so don't know how violent.

David75
Mon, 01-15-2018, 07:31 AM
It's entirely possible that my tolerance levels are way too low. But I'm more the soothing slice of life/comedy/fanservice anime guy anyway :D

Kraco
Mon, 01-15-2018, 05:18 PM
Yes, the Frankxx design was quite strange, especially the moe face. Who on Earth gives a mecha such a face? You can understand better the typical Gundam and such faces as they look like warriors or monsters (like the RL shark face fighter plane paintings). Another thing that caught my attention was the MC dude's slightly autistic personality. However, it could also turn out good if he puts that trait to use by turning it into a piloting/fighting obsession.

I'm quite optimistic about this series. It could be good. The setting is interesting, the characters aren't bad (especially Zero Two). I imagine fights won't be this easy in the future. I don't mind at all the destiny stuff either.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-15-2018, 08:02 PM
I trust in Studio Trigger.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-18-2018, 03:58 PM
Awww shit, why did it have to transform into something like that... it looked perfectly fine in doggo-form

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Am I the only one okay with the cutesy sexy robot? I might even like it. Looks different. And has boobs.

KrayZ33
Thu, 01-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Probably :D

It became unsightly as soon as it started to have a face.

Why the heck does it have a mouth with teeth and tongue as if it were some kind of mega(wo)man.

Munsu
Thu, 01-18-2018, 05:50 PM
Am I the only one okay with the cutesy sexy robot? I might even like it. Looks different. And has boobs.

I personally don't have much of a problem with it. Had more of a problem with the enemy.

neflight86
Thu, 01-18-2018, 10:11 PM
Liking it so far; which is good considering the tired framework of clichés forming the core of the story. Like the character artwork, but the mechas will take some getting used to, as I'm used to studio trigger flinging ridiculous mecha designs at stories that don't take themselves as seriously.

Kraco
Sat, 01-20-2018, 04:14 PM
Episode 2

- - - -- -- -

I can't say I'm a huge fan of the characters aside from Zero Two. The MC is weirdly bipolar: sometimes he's ok being obsessed with piloting the mecha, which is a good thing, but then the next moment when something doesn't go as expected, he's a totally useless crybaby wuss. It's like he has no guts whatsoever. It doesn't even need to be mentioned the obnoxious brat, Zorome, is beyond annoying. He's the stock shounen character who's always badmouthing others but is also the first to fail due to his own stupidity. Ichigo is not so super bad as a character, but it does annoy me somewhat that she's dishonest with herself and is always looking at the MC despite having a partner of her own. Gorou is the most decent of all the characters, yet he has such a partner. Perhaps Ichigo will now forget the MC and accept working with Gorou.

Somebody should kick the MC in the ass so hard it will make him grow some balls. It's frustrating how he can't take the slightest hardship without feeling so sorry for himself that he can't even walk. Zorome can die for all I care, but I guess we will just have to suffer his presence. It would be good if the plot allowed the MC to pilot with Zero Two again. Maybe that would shut Zorome up. It's kind of weird they won't allow it anyway. The MC has no value whatsoever being without a partner, after failing all the trials with others, so what would it matter even if he died after three runs with Zero Two like all the rest?

KrayZ33
Sat, 01-20-2018, 06:06 PM
This got really interesting.
Still not liking the looks of the mecha, but the fanservice is good though!

Somebody should kick the MC in the ass so hard it will make him grow some balls. It's frustrating how he can't take the slightest hardship without feeling so sorry for himself that he can't even walk.

I don't know, but isn't his behavior normal? His worth is determined by his ability to pilot, if he can't pilot, he's worth nothing.
He's already training alone, but if he's unable to sync with a partner, it's pointless.
It's not something that could realistically change by "growing balls".

Kraco
Sat, 01-20-2018, 06:27 PM
No, one moment he seems like he would be ready to do anything to get another change to pair with Zero Two, but then the next moment he's all ready to walk off a cliff because there's no hope for him and the world would surely be a better place if he was dead. Yet all in all he doesn't seem to do a whole lot actively. He's indecisive and inactive. Why didn't he go to Zero Two's table in the cafeteria if he so much want to pair with her and pilot the mecha with her? I just can't understand him.

KrayZ33
Sat, 01-20-2018, 06:54 PM
But he wasn't indecisive at all.

He wanted to pilot. Wanted to proof that he piloted the mecha and not Zero Two, who is said to be able to pilot mechas without any help.
In the end, he wasn't able to pilot the mecha - again. Proving his hidden fear that he isn't able to pilot and thus worthless.

Why didn't he go to Zero Two's table in the cafeteria if he so much want to pair with her and pilot the mecha with her? I just can't understand him.

but...that's exactly what he did - He asked her to pilot it with him again, after making sure whether he was imagining things or not.

In addition to that, we are basically looking at a brave-new-world-esque society. These children don't even know what kissing is, their existence is probably validated by how they perform in front of "father" - and nothing else.

Kraco
Sun, 01-21-2018, 04:45 AM
He knows he can pilot with Zero Two, he knows he couldn't pilot with someone else, yet he was okay with again trying with someone else to prove... what? Just look at how that one-sided-love Ichigo handled it: With her vocal eagerness she was able to turn things her way. Meanwhile the MC didn't really do anything productive or convincing. That trial then naturally failed, and he was again devastated. Not once has he tried to tell those in charge he's only compatible with Zero Two. I also don't think he has done enough to stick to Zero Two, which is why I call him indecisive, in addition to always giving up immediately whenever something doesn't work as he expected. That's why the brat Zorome calls him a crybaby.

The whole show started with the MC giving up despite others telling him he shouldn't.

David75
Sun, 01-21-2018, 07:20 AM
As I feared that show only works for me thanks to Zero-2.
Everything else is garbage/useless. Fanservice is underaged and gender degrading, I mean that cockpit and female position and object transformation is retarded...

Munsu
Sun, 01-21-2018, 11:55 AM
He knows he can pilot with Zero Two, he knows he couldn't pilot with someone else, yet he was okay with again trying with someone else to prove... what?

Pretty much the whole episode was about how he DIDN'T know. And you're talking about this as if he had a choice in the matter. He didn't. So he failed with previous partner (who was booted out, and he was requested to stay) and suddenly he's supposed to know that he's not compatible with anyone else?

Which at the same time, unless I missed something, it's odd that they seemingly (even Naomi) weren't tested with others... unless their test as partners proved them to be failures regardless of who the partner would be.

That aside, it's all good and well to "know" you can pilot with someone, but what then? What if she's not available? Is it enough to know you're dependent specifically on this 1 person? You want him to grow balls, to get better, yet you seem happy to leave him complacent to being Zero Two's darling and that's it. What is it, should he aspire for more or not? If in the end Zero Two is all he'll have, so be it.

By the same token, if he'd gone all out "I ONLY PILOT WITH ZERO TWO" in that scene, to me he'd been made to look like a bigger loser then.

Yeah, he's been shown to be a crybaby at times, depressed in others, etc., etc.

I get your complains, but I think you're taking it a bit to the extreme.

Kraco
Sun, 01-21-2018, 12:12 PM
What right did Ichigo have to oppose using Zero Two, with the excuse of 02 not being a part of the team, and nominate herself instead, even though she already has a pair? Hiro just went along. Why didn't he say he wants to run the test with Zero Two? He's a dude who was already resigning earlier with the intention of returning to whatever godforsaken place it was where he was brought up, because he had realised he's a total failure and there's no hope for him. Yet now he was suddenly okay with pairing with Ichigo. Zero Two is extraordinary. Ichigo is ordinary. That should have made the dude put 2 and 2 together, but instead he thought that when he managed to pilot with 02 (even though it was abnormal leaving him no memories of it) then surely he can pilot with everyone. Even though he was already resigning himself earlier because that's not the case.

In fact the staff should be able to connect the dots even if the dude himself hasn't got the brains for it. Which is why I said they should just use him even if it costs him his life.

In the first place we know the two pilots need to have a high degree of compatibility to be able to operate the vehicle. If that compatibility drops for whatever reason, it's game over. This means, I reckon, that you can't just be paired with anyone randomly. I just hope Ichigo's feelings for the MC won't affect her cooperation with her existing pair, Gorou.

Munsu
Sun, 01-21-2018, 12:28 PM
What right did Ichigo have to oppose using Zero Two, with the excuse of 02 not being a part of the team, and nominate herself instead, even though she already has a pair? Hiro just went along. Why didn't he say he wants to run the test with Zero Two?

That's not how that scene went about at all. The choice and order came from above their pay-grade. In fact, it was specifically mentioned that the choice had to come from within the team. They then defaulted into Ichigo who was who offered her services. In fact, Zero Two took herself from the running as it was, and in fact later told Ichigo to go for it herself.

He's a dude who was already resigning earlier with the intention of returning to whatever godforsaken place it was where he was brought up, because he had realised he's a total failure and there's no hope for him. Yet now he was suddenly okay with pairing with Ichigo.

And he should have a problem pairing up with Ichigo why? She's the team leader, and from all we have seen, they've had a good relationship.

Zero Two is extraordinary. Ichigo is ordinary. That should have made the dude put 2 and 2 together, but instead he thought that when he managed to pilot with 02 (even though it was abnormal leaving him no memories of it) then surely he can pilot with everyone. Even though he was already resigning himself earlier because that's not the case.

From what I gathered from that scene, compatibility aside, it seemed like he should've been able to pilot with just about anyone qualified if he was a legit pilot. He seems to be an exception to the rule. It was specifically stated that they were testing specifically for Hiro's aptitude, and it seemed in that context the partner was irrelevant. Heck, when the test began, it seemed like Hiro and Ichigo were well in-sync. Then whatever happened, happened.

In this context, man I feel terrible for Naomi... chances are that she would've been fine if she had taken the previous test with anyone but Hiro.

In fact the staff should be able to connect the dots even if the dude himself hasn't got the brains for it. Which is why I said they should just use him even if it costs him his life.

Yet in the Papa Group there were people objecting to having their precious Zero Two pairing with 016 because he would contaminate her.

In the first place we know the two pilots need to have a high degree of compatibility to be able to operate the vehicle. If that compatibility drops for whatever reason, it's game over. This means, I reckon, that you can't just be paired with anyone randomly. I just hope Ichigo's feelings for the MC won't affect her cooperation with her existing pair, Gorou.

Just the same, as mentioned above, in that specific scene it seems that being able to test for Hiro's aptitude who he partners with should be irrelevant, but this is a unique case it seems.

All this to say, I have no real issues with you having problems with this MC and your characterization of him, but you're also attributing a lot of his flaws to things he had no control over and actually immaterial all told.

Kraco
Sun, 01-21-2018, 03:43 PM
That's not how that scene went about at all. The choice and order came from above their pay-grade. In fact, it was specifically mentioned that the choice had to come from within the team. They then defaulted into Ichigo who was who offered her services. In fact, Zero Two took herself from the running as it was, and in fact later told Ichigo to go for it herself.

Zero Two tried to volunteer as well, but was overruled by Ichigo's loud objections and the order from the brass. However, I'd have still liked to see Hiro try to pair with Zero Two, not just anybody available. Sure, he did look at her at first, but then fell silent. I don't need to him be like Zorome, but he should throw his weight around at least a little. Otherwise nobody will ever listen to him, even if he actually had something critical to say.

And he should have a problem pairing up with Ichigo why? She's the team leader, and from all we have seen, they've had a good relationship.

It doesn't matter. He knows himself he's a failure. The only success, if you can call it that with his memory loss, is with Zero Two. He should have had a problem trying with anyone else if he really wanted to make sure he succeeds. Now the chances were he would show a performance similar to the ones with Naomi.

From what I gathered from that scene, compatibility aside, it seemed like he should've been able to pilot with just about anyone qualified if he was a legit pilot. He seems to be an exception to the rule. It was specifically stated that they were testing specifically for Hiro's aptitude, and it seemed in that context the partner was irrelevant. Heck, when the test began, it seemed like Hiro and Ichigo were well in-sync. Then whatever happened, happened.

Yes, should have been. It was already proven he can't, and thus he was about to hit the road in the beginning of the show. Now he, however, knows there are weird sort of people around, like Zero Two who will kill her pairs. Is it a long shot to think he might be another aberration? It seems to me more logical to think that way than to imagine he could now suddenly magically work with anyone like a regular pilot (which he is not).

In this context, man I feel terrible for Naomi... chances are that she would've been fine if she had taken the previous test with anyone but Hiro.

Indeed. Although I don't remember Naomi's number anymore, if it was said, but maybe it was a high one, so the organisation didn't bother to investigate too much, considering Hiro is a low two digit.

Yet in the Papa Group there were people objecting to having their precious Zero Two pairing with 016 because he would contaminate her.

Well, yeah, there will always be people like that. They would rather see a precious tool rot unused than let a person they subjectively deem unworthy use it.

Just the same, as mentioned above, in that specific scene it seems that being able to test for Hiro's aptitude who he partners with should be irrelevant, but this is a unique case it seems.

If they can't accept unique cases despite having Zero Two around, they should retire and let smarter people take over.

All this to say, I have no real issues with you having problems with this MC and your characterization of him, but you're also attributing a lot of his flaws to things he had no control over and actually immaterial all told.

Probably. It's because Zero Two is a jolly character and I desperately want her pair to be able to kick some ass as well, even a little bit.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM
I think you two missed the mention that 016 is special. That's the reason he might contaminate 02. Normal disposable pilots won't. The floating masked elders mentioned that he was a special specimen.

He's gonna super saiyan on us sooner or later.

Kraco
Mon, 01-22-2018, 01:34 AM
He's special just by being so low double digits. He's less than 10 from being a single digit. I didn't think it meant anything else, but maybe you are right and they were talking about something else. Not that I'd know what since it's more than likely those geezers have never even met the dude.

Munsu
Mon, 01-22-2018, 08:45 AM
I think you two missed the mention that 016 is special. That's the reason he might contaminate 02. Normal disposable pilots won't. The floating masked elders mentioned that he was a special specimen.

He's gonna super saiyan on us sooner or later.

I misread that scene. I kept thinking "special specimen" referred to Zero Two herself.

Kraco
Sat, 01-27-2018, 04:27 PM
Episode 3

- - - - - -

This show is really trying to make me hate the MC. I'd have forgiven him a little bit if he had punched Nana right in the womb sparing no strength after Zero Two and Mitsuru left. But of course he wouldn't do anything. If he had found a quiet corner and hanged himself, I'd have also forgiven him. He has a whole lot of work to do to earn my respect in the coming episodes.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-29-2018, 06:49 PM
He made the right call considering the situation though. He wasn't allowed to pilot due to regulations, and punching anyone wouldn't have changed that. He reined in his personal desires in order to save his friends, which is a lot more mature than Ranta v2 acting cocky, Ichigo acting jealous, and Semi-dead egoboy acting like a diva.

If he flat out said he didn't want 02 fighting with another guy, and she only did so because he pleaded with her (albeit with much hesitation and pain), all of his friends would be dead now.

Kraco
Tue, 01-30-2018, 02:42 AM
These guys and gals are basically treated like slaves who aren't even allowed to see the place they are defending (so that they wouldn't know to demand more humane treatment). If they fail at piloting, they are scrapped. They don't even have names, let alone parent figures or anything. Who the heck will defend their rights if they don't do it themselves? People hiding behind holographic screens are enjoying these kids sacrificing themselves to fight the monsters. It'd be about the time somebody told them screw you. It's not Hiro's responsibility they how they fix their mistakes. If they had sent Hiro+Zero Two outside in the beginning, there would have been no problems in the first place.

So, yes, I'd say punching someone would have changed a whole lot because he's being punched psychologically left and right all the time. If he doesn't man up, being punched is just going to continue ad infinitum.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-30-2018, 11:20 AM
He's gotta man up, for sure, but punching someone in that situation is not the way to do it. He'd just be detained, disciplined, or even disposed of. Using 02 to get out of that place, on the other hand...

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-30-2018, 12:01 PM
So, yes, I'd say punching someone would have changed a whole lot because he's being punched psychologically left and right all the time. If he doesn't man up, being punched is just going to continue ad infinitum.

I'm pretty sure you know yourself how silly that is.

As if punching or demanding something would change *anything*
He has absolutely *nothing* he can could use to bargain with.
If there is a person who could do something about his situation, it would be 002.

What could he possibly do? He can't even leave certain areas on it's own. It's not like he can hijack the mech or something will happpen if he's acting tough.

On a side note, the longer it takes for him to get his chance, the more hyped I get and his scene will have a bigger impact.

Kraco
Tue, 01-30-2018, 12:50 PM
Yes, I know, the punching part was just a joke in the beginning, but I stretched it too far.

By manning up he should defend his own stand. Now he is every now and then meekly trying to suggest he would like to pilot with Zero Two, but whenever anyone at all objects, he immediately gives up. This time he didn't even try to remind the brass that sending Mitsuru with Zero Two is very likely going to wound, or even ruin, a pilot that normally can work just fine with his established pair. Because that's an established fact: Zero Two has ruined her pairs before, the latest one very recently as they all saw. Yet somehow it was such a great idea to send him instead of the proven Hiro (who has no other value). Apparently for some mysterious reason they can't pair Zero Two with Hiro, despite that pair working, but they can randomly pair her with anybody else. That seems so unlikely that it's more probable it's all because Hiro doesn't push the issue.

If he had objected but they had still sent Mitsuru, at least Hiro could have said afterwards: "What did I tell you, huh? Huh?" And they couldn't have said anything in return.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-30-2018, 02:51 PM
Hiro's self esteem has taken a severe beating from his inability to pilot, which is their raison d etre. Being suddenly confident would be uncharacteristic of him. I understand your frustration about his meekness, but character development takes time if they wanna do it right.

Hiro was not allowed to pilot due to stupid rules. That was the bigger problem in that scene. They already know all the facts: that Mitsuru would be a disposable gas tank, while Hiro would likely come out fine. What is wrong with that military leader dude? He must be retarded. How is bending the rules a little to save lives worse than knowingly letting a pilot get hurt or die as a sacrifice?

Mitsuru totally deserved to get killed though. I'm kinda pissed he survived...

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-30-2018, 06:14 PM
Other than who we liked and who deserved to die.
Does anyone want to discuss the story of this anime, the symbols and the - right now - relatively hidden meanings?

The reference to different parts of a flower are obvious and also the way the cities are built and such but there are others

I'll start:

https://i.imgur.com/RH4IUA1.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamarckism

Def. "the theory that structural variations, characteristic of species and genera, are produced in animals and plants by the direct influence of physical environments, and especially, in the case of animals, by effort, or by use or disuse of certain organs"[2]

"Lamarck incorporated two ideas into his theory of evolution, in his day considered to be generally true:

Use and disuse – Individuals lose characteristics they do not require (or use) and develop characteristics that are useful.
Inheritance of acquired traits – Individuals inherit the traits of their ancestors."

[https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Lamarckism]

Parasite Numbers -> Also considered as "samples" / specimen -> they get scanned constantly, as seen, for example, in the beginning of episode 3 -> flower parts that are constantly being mentioned are reproduction parts -> they are trying to cultivate the perfect pilots/specimen? -> the top brass is absolutely not concerned with the well being of their specimen -> are they clones?

Clone theory:
Each "specimen/sample" has a number -> a sample with a higher number (666) would suggest that it's a "newer" sample compared to, for example, 002 or 016.
This however doesn't mean they are clones of the same original. If they are trying to cultivate a new "flower" it's not far fetched to consider the possibily that each sample has it's own original - and in a way, it's also worth considering crossing different samples (female + male pilot)

Lets take Lamarckism into account here:
The idea is to have them fight/match with different pilots/samples and in different enviroments - in a way, the theory implies that if a sample struggles with something, it will eventually use/develop something to overcome the obstacle and the offspring will inherit the new development. If we consider the possibility that lower numbers such as 002 and 015 etc. are "older" samples, it could mean that they are already several generations ahead of number "666".

What I'm suggesting is that 015 has already inherited several traits of it's former version -> 015a achieved high sync rate -> 015b achieved leadership traits -> 015c developed superior motor skills on top of that -> 015d is the current sample which has all of that.
While "666" is still in stage "666b"

They were concerned with retrieving the body of Mitsuru after all, but they didn't really care a whole lot about him most likely dying/suffering from piloting together with 002. Since in a way, this is the only way for that sample to develop and if he can't, they'll just make a new one out of him.

This could also explain why the top brass doesn't want 002 to "mix" with 016 at first as it might contaminate one of the oldest and thus most developed samples. It would also explain why 016 is considered the "special specimen" - obviously they know what his "sample" is capable of and that would also explain why he was being favored and allowed to stay if he wanted to.

On top of that, if you look back at episode 1, they mentioned that they never heard of a parasite "going back" - it seems they just disappear -> a failed clone/sample/version?

neflight86
Wed, 01-31-2018, 10:25 PM
You've certainly put more thought into this than I have or probably will.

I like what you have deduced from the naming of the elder council, and those seem like plausible future developments considering the disposable attitude they have toward the parasites.

I do have difficulty seeing past all of the clumsy sexual parody in this show: NSFW Crude content (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kkRRLoNedU&feature=youtu.be&t=12m35s)

KrayZ33
Mon, 02-05-2018, 01:37 PM
Episode 4

--------------------------------------

(spoiler) 02 is cute

(/spoiler)

the sexual innuendoes are getting out of hand

shinta|hikari
Mon, 02-05-2018, 11:25 PM
Not at all. It's good to see anime characters using innuendos like normal people do. They aren't holy virgins or anything.

Finally the MC regained his balls and made Ichigo swoon again. That cocky robot face as he pawned the enemy was great. Ichigo must've spurted all over glasses guy's face then.

KrayZ33
Tue, 02-06-2018, 12:13 PM
Not at all. It's good to see anime characters using innuendos like normal people do. They aren't holy virgins or anything.

Their way of talking is funny on several levels.

Hiro *is* a "holy virgin" - he doesn't even know what "kissing" is.
02 is probably making fun of Hiro by saying "you want to ride me?" because Hiro doesn't really understand what she is saying - while 02 on the other hand most likely does.

In the end, it's for us to guess wether they talk like that because they are innocent - or dirty.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-06-2018, 05:14 PM
You're right when you say Hiro is innocent and 02 is thinking dirty. Both examples are normal in real life too. I don't see it as going out of hand.

KrayZ33
Tue, 02-06-2018, 05:34 PM
as in - the show is constantly using lines and even whole scenes that could be read as and translated to sexual intercourse between pilots - and now the pilots start talking about it in a more direct manner too, both knowlingly (or maybe not), and unknowingly.

Both examples are normal in real life too

I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean?
It's not like I'm denying them a joke... or something? It wasn't even really meant as a negative point... more like a remark about the fact that this show is full of such comments and not even subtle about it (anymore) now.

in a way, if you want to read sense into this, 02's comment is actually rather important and explains, or rather confirms, what piloting a franxx means to her. It's basically sexual intercourse and she knows it.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-06-2018, 08:03 PM
I thought you meant they overdid it and it became ridiculous or unbelievable.

neflight86
Tue, 02-06-2018, 10:49 PM
So, did they (the old council) just not believe he was unscathed last time, or is this some other turn of events that wont have the two deserters being punished? Maybe they still will be? I find it odd that his riding the Franxx with her a second time to be what 'changes things'.

Also, teacher lady seems to especially not like 02.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-06-2018, 11:57 PM
First time was a fluke that was too risky to repeat because 02 was too valuable to "contaminate" (impregnate!). Second time was unintentional but proved first time wasn't a fluke.

Adults hating children... As if 02 didn't remind me of Evangelion (Asuka) enough.

Kraco
Fri, 02-09-2018, 06:26 PM
I think I'm getting used to the Franxx moe faces. Maybe it's because in some ways these vehicles are so out there that they don't even evoke the usual "these designs don't make any sense" feeling in me after repeated exposure. Who knows, maybe that was an intentional point.

It's a good thing the MC dude grew some balls. It would be nice if he really slowly died during this story. Not after just three fights, but after multiple ones, still inevitably. In the last ep he could really die, perfectly satisfied with his life. Zero Two should be there to send him off, not grieving or dissing him, but just telling him how it was all worth it. That might be pretty stylish.

KrayZ33
Sat, 02-10-2018, 04:06 PM
Ep5

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I take it back

not cute at all!

David75
Sun, 02-11-2018, 04:41 AM
Klaxosaur cells are trying to take control of his body.
But it seems his body fights back. Will he be able to survive this and still be able to remain sane/himself ? of course while being able to pilot strelizia with Zero-2?

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 02-11-2018, 07:00 AM
Dude just needs to kiss Zero Two some more to get some immunity from those cells.

Kraco
Sun, 02-11-2018, 09:30 AM
Dude just needs to kiss Zero Two some more to get some immunity from those cells.

That's what I also thought during this ep.

I wonder if all these children are in fact not completely human. Growing into an adult seems to be a big deal, so maybe they can't? They might drop dead. I reckon they at least can't pilot anymore, but it would be a pity if that was due to some adults vs children Peter Pan mumbojumbo reason. However, if they were mass production humans with trace amounts of klasosaurs in them, there could be a solid reason. Zero Two would be one stabile specimen with much more klaxosaur.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what happens to Hiro after the third ride.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 02-11-2018, 10:18 AM
If that's the case then I don't think Hiro is quite normal either. I mean the reaction he got was the polar opposite of Zero Two's 'victims'

KrayZ33
Sun, 02-11-2018, 10:30 AM
That's what I also thought during this ep.

I wonder if all these children are in fact not completely human. Growing into an adult seems to be a big deal, so maybe they can't? They might drop dead. I reckon they at least can't pilot anymore, but it would be a pity if that was due to some adults vs children Peter Pan mumbojumbo reason. However, if they were mass production humans with trace amounts of klasosaurs in them, there could be a solid reason. Zero Two would be one stabile specimen with much more klaxosaur.

Nevertheless, it will be interesting to see what happens to Hiro after the third ride.

The first pilot we saw piloting with 02 was an adult though... or at least very big young adult.
I like the clone theory though, it would explain why 016 is well known even among the other pilots already.

them being clones would explain why they aren't going to grow old - among many other possible reasons.

David75
Sun, 02-11-2018, 10:38 AM
With the reaction to the adulthood question mixed with the flower theory, it's entirely possible these children die very young. I will not go as far as saying they do so shortly after their first sexual intercourse... But who knows what in the head of the author before we get there ?

I like the clone theory too. They globally know what are the attibutes of lines of clones, although they probably are altered every generation.

As for that poor Zero2 pilot we saw, I think I remember them saying pilots grow older insanely fast with Zero2 in Strelizia

Kraco
Sun, 02-11-2018, 11:11 AM
The first pilot we saw piloting with 02 was an adult though...

I had totally forgotten what kind of a pilot it was, so I just assumed he was a young one as well. But if the pilots indeed can grow old, who knows. Maybe the old one was an older generation model with less potential but capable of living longer.

As for that poor Zero2 pilot we saw, I think I remember them saying pilots grow older insanely fast with Zero2 in Strelizia

One more thing I don't remember... I thought they just drop dead due to massive internal injuries. I would like to believe they don't normally have a blue cancerous growth in/on them like Hiro does. That might be Hiro's peculiarity, connected to the medical abnormality they observed, even thought it looked like Zero Two at least half expected it.

KrayZ33
Sun, 02-11-2018, 03:13 PM
The way I understood it - and in hindsight to what the elder said - it's probably the klauxodinosaur-thingy blood that is now inside his body. Since 02 has this kind of blood inside her... maybe connecting with her will somehow result in that.

The APE guys did say that it would contaminate 02's blood if she ends up piloting again with 016.

Not to mention that the opening has a background that reminds me of blood and is using a lot of blue and red, which is then being mixed together.. even in the title of the series "Darling in the FranXX"

Kraco
Sat, 02-17-2018, 01:27 PM
Episode 6

- - - - -

There was certainly enough shounen spirit in this episode. I was getting really annoyed by Hiro's self-satisfaction when he was "dying", but fortunately he collected his wits eventually. Still, that's one super resilient mecha for sure. What does it take to destroy one? They should build the plantations the same way they build those Franxxes, and they would never have to worry about klaxosaur attacks because occasional repainting would be the most they would need to do, even if the klaxosaurs kept pummeling the walls day in and day out.

I suppose there was some small development between Hiro and Zero Two. It was quite an enlightening scene where we saw how Zero Two behaves when yet another partner kicks the bucket, leaving her unable to keep fighting. It must be quite frustrating. If she really starts to care for Hiro like a human, it would be even worse.

If Ichigo finally gave up, it would be another excellent point of progress.

KrayZ33
Sun, 02-18-2018, 04:45 PM
I'm a little annoyed about how he defeated that "cancer" he was suffering from.

Woosh - aaaand it's gone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNLob2E_Q5s)

Kraco
Sun, 02-18-2018, 05:20 PM
I'm a little annoyed about how he defeated that "cancer" he was suffering from.

Yeah, it would have been far better if it hadn't been so purely spiritual. It should have gone NeoCybercoin's way and require kissing. In fact it would have been funny if he had needed to kiss Zero Two every day to keep it in check.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-18-2018, 08:57 PM
It probably had nothing to do with spirit or magic or even his will. It was likely biological.

His body is special and reacts in the completely opposite way when compared to the other partners 02 has had. I think his antibodies merely needed time to adjust to the cancer growth, and once they did, they purged it.

As to why that happened at such an opportune moment? Two words: Dramatic effect.

Kraco
Mon, 02-19-2018, 03:09 AM
He was dying before he realised he doesn't want to leave Zero Two behind to continue her lonesome fight. Then he suddenly healed fully in mere seconds, allowing him to join the fight once again. That seemed pretty spiritual to me.

David75
Mon, 02-19-2018, 03:18 AM
Somehow it's possible to interpret that old Hiro priority was piloting a Franxxx and flying.
His old self died in that ep and his new self priority is to be Zero-2 wings to fly with her.

neflight86
Tue, 02-20-2018, 06:11 PM
I'm all for the power of positive thinking, but it felt like he banished his cancer with friendship from Fairy Tale or something. Without proper explanation (which, I must admit has its work cut out for it) this was trope-y and unsatisfying.

Also, if this entire series is a metaphor for puberty and sex, what does the other uniform, plain unit stand for?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 02-20-2018, 10:13 PM
One word: Placebo.

Kraco
Sat, 02-24-2018, 04:59 PM
Episode 7

- -- - - - -

A somewhat useless episode, unless you were looking forward to standard fanservice. Maybe the childbirth book will play some role later, but I don't think anything else here will have much of an impact. Zero Two even knew beforehand there are abandoned towns here and there, so I guess if they go around piloting Franxxx, they will see them sooner or later. Who knows what else she knows.

David75
Sun, 02-25-2018, 01:42 AM
Feels like it's a light break for darker developments to come. Eventhough it might not be that kind of show since we've not witness death on screen, only suggested.

KrayZ33
Sun, 02-25-2018, 11:39 AM
Pretty sure that the kind hearted long haired girl will go nuts at some point and kill someone or get killed. Probably while being pregnant

David75
Sat, 03-10-2018, 01:28 PM
Monster fights are ridiculous, even when we know their only purpose is character setting. And then even those side stories for side characters are generic and boring.
Only in Zero2 I trust :cool:

Kraco
Wed, 03-14-2018, 04:13 PM
Episode 9

-- - - - - -

It's kind of hard to see how this jellyfish was so dangerous. Wouldn't a few incendiary rounds have destroyed it?

I guess it's good the others are getting development, lest they remain meaningless, but Hiro+Zero Two has been very static of late.

KrayZ33
Wed, 03-14-2018, 05:02 PM
02 has been a super boring character in the last few episodes....

You can't even tell whether she truely likes 016 or not, or whether she's truely happy having him as a partner or merely using him.

For me, she's basically been "absent" for ~2-3 episodes by now. Eveything she did after her meltdown/enrage moment was... for the lack of a better word: borish and looked fake

Kraco
Thu, 03-22-2018, 02:19 PM
Episode 10

- - - -

Lifeless is certainly an appropriate description for that city. I guess the actual citizens are mostly spending their time in the Matrix, while some specially crafted clones like the kids are doing the actual work. Assuming they are clones. They don't specifically need to be. It seems somewhat likely after this episode that they aren't meant to grow old and move into the city, though. I'm not sure why they are called infected, whether it's because they keep visiting the outside world or because they all have some klaxo in their veins, even if not as much as Zero Two. It's rather interesting the random citizens didn't mind meeting Zorome and even take care of him, nevertheless. I assumed the society was far too fascistic for such random acts.

Hiro should do something to cheer Zero Two up. It's dispiriting to see her act with so little spunk.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Guess Zero Two is turning more into...something else than she did before. I mean she's really got long fangs now.

Kraco
Mon, 03-26-2018, 01:35 PM
Episode 11

- - - -

What a weak episode. I never even dreamed about Mitsuru's cold and antisocial behavior to be due such an idiotic reason. A childhood promise that would have been impossible to keep in the first place considering it takes a boy and a girl to drive a Franxx. Yet that uber drama queen still holds it against Hiro and, furthermore, uses it as an example why he can't trust anybody or even care about cooperation enough to save his own life, let alone someone else's. Jesus Christ.

But, as if that wasn't bad enough, the worst part of the episode was how it so blatantly artificially made Kokoro break a promise super conveniently, so that she could tell Mitsuru she can't keep her promises either.

At least we got a scene of Zero Two hugging Hiro and smiling. That's better than nothing.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Shit episode with more useless backstory for uninspired side characters. The lack of 02 and sheer repetitiveness of the episodic monster of the week format is ruining this show.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 03-27-2018, 09:06 AM
The only interesting thing is that essentially all woman can pilot on their own in that little berserker mode.
But from the last preview for this episode I was thinking it would be like something took over and turned it into berserker against their will. Would have made it interesting.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-27-2018, 09:11 AM
Oh wait, did Mitsuru just come out this episode? That'd sorta redeem this.

David75
Tue, 03-27-2018, 09:55 AM
Oh wait, did Mitsuru just come out this episode? That'd sorta redeem this.
He did.
But we do not know if homosexuality is a replacement for your physical genre and can help two males pilot a Franxxx like the female test. They probably have enough test children that they do not need to test male homosexuality and compatibility...

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-27-2018, 10:04 AM
I doubt it'd work, but at least we get why he was so deeply hurt by the broken promise.

David75
Tue, 03-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Yes, that's how I interpreted it too. That also explains why he behaves so coldly with his partner and why she is as cold towards him.

Kraco
Tue, 03-27-2018, 11:59 AM
Hmm... I guess that must be true. In the end these kids weren't exactly volunteers for the job, so maybe it makes sense someone would place an impossible childhood promise above the survival of the whole team and possibly their whole moving city, as honourless as it is. Nonetheless, he's a scumbag, no matter what his excuse is.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-27-2018, 02:04 PM
Isn't that the theme of this show? Endangering the lives of thousands over teenage romantic issues. He's just taking his turn.

Kraco
Tue, 03-27-2018, 02:22 PM
Futoshi took his turn much better. I'd say he was betrayed far worse than Mitsuru, but did that stop him from fighting the klaxos? No, he fought all the more furiously.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-27-2018, 02:39 PM
That fat guy is awesome. He bravely confessed, got brutally betrayed, but still fought for the girl. He is the most likable character in the show right now...

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-07-2018, 01:50 PM
Episode 12 and 13 were really interesting.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really like this setting. I'm somewhat glad that this isn't so much about fighting monsters.

David75
Sat, 04-14-2018, 03:16 PM
That high collar jacket though...
With horns and all. Got a bad guy feeling from mazinger era when I was 5 :o

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 04-14-2018, 03:37 PM
So basically her horns were small because she wanted to be human and now has accepted that she is..in fact a monster so they grew larger.

David75
Sun, 04-15-2018, 01:25 AM
I think she is a monster who wanted to be human for Hiro.
She humanized herself through combats against klaxosaurs. When piloting there are fluids exchanges, so she gets human cells and her body accepted those cells, shapeshifting her apparence into that of a human.
It seems it was only possible with weak stamen her body was able to overpower and extract a lot from.

With Hiro that's not possible anymore. She doesn't want to kill him, she cares for him.
But since she doesn't get enough human cells, she's getting back to her nature and that's hard on her who wants to be human.

Hiro is experiencing the other part of the way, getting zero2 cells and becoming more like natural zero2.
Seems like he doesn't care much about losing his human side. And most important, he has feelings for oni zero2.
It's that side of hers he got attracted to in the first place.
But the story probably won't be as easy as: Hiro tells Zero2 he likes her for who she is.
Because after all the picture book tells us her nature will kill the prince.
Unless the very first episode is the key: both of them walk their part of the way and are able to fly together as a unit.

MFauli
Sun, 04-15-2018, 05:45 AM
I haven't hated a character as much as Ichigo in a long time.

- keeps sabotaging the meetings between Z2 and Hiro
- manages to paint Z2 as a monster
- instantly goes after Hiro herself once Z2 is out of the picture
- dot care one bit about glasses guy who confessed to her. Why would she, only her feelings matter, huh?!

Fuck this bitch. Wow. I'm hoping for lots of rape doujins featuring her right now.

Hopes for upcoming episodes:

- Hiro turns her down
- glasses guy quits and everybody finds out how cruel Bitchigo was to him
-Hiro gets together with Z2
- Bitchigo is taken away by the guards and is turned into a breeding machine for the colonies

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-15-2018, 06:18 AM
@ MFauli

I guess 02 was doing so much better when she completely ignored Hiro's feelings and tried to use him as fodder, ready to kill him, huh?

I'm not sure what to think about that.
Z2 has been a bitch that endagered everyones life several times by now, she couldn't even say sorry and expressed that she does simply not care about them.
Punishment indeed, at least she got that right.

MFauli
Sun, 04-15-2018, 06:21 AM
@ MFauli

I guess 02 was doing so much better when she completely ignored Hiro's feelings and tried to use him as fodder, ready to kill him, huh?

Which happened before both found out they met before.

KrayZ33
Sun, 04-15-2018, 06:36 AM
Which happened before both found out they met before.

Yes - which doesn't make it any better, lol.

and not that it matters, because Ichigo is technically not wrong about what she is saying - Ichigo doesn't know about that... so using your logic, she is redeemed or something?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-15-2018, 08:49 AM
Both Iota and Ichigo are terrible people.

Fortunately for Iota, she has the best excuse. She isn't a person...

David75
Sun, 04-15-2018, 12:19 PM
Ichigo is a woman in love using her oponent weaknesses... eventhough she knows she can't win Hiro's love.

MFauli
Sun, 04-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Bitchigo

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-15-2018, 02:14 PM
Nice one.

She is also a hoe for confessing to Hiro just to stop him from doing what he wants.

Ichihoe

Kraco
Mon, 04-16-2018, 03:12 PM
Isn't Hiro now useless and just waiting to be sent to the scrapyard? As I understood from the beginning of the show, they don't keep around pilots who can't pilot. Furthermore, they learned the children sent away never got back to the garden, or whatever it was called, like they thought. Ichigo, however, can't put 2 and 2 together. It would be quite funny if the next day she witnessed the armed guards escorting Hiro away. She thinks she's so full of power, restricting the movements of the teammates on their free time. In fact she has no power and even less understanding.

I guess the show won't actually have Hiro, the MC, eliminated right here in the middle, so I guess we will be forced to watch Hiro falling into depression and Ichigo not helping at all, instead probably enjoying fawning over him. I hope not... Well, I guess the story needs its setbacks and obstacles, otherwise this would be slice of life.

MFauli
Mon, 04-16-2018, 05:32 PM
I like your logic. It'd be hilarious if Hiro indeed got executed because of Bitchigo.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-16-2018, 11:14 PM
We all know something wrong is gonna happen with the next operation with the disposable males and Hiro is gonna be necessary again.

Or didn't you..?

Kraco
Tue, 04-17-2018, 02:46 AM
We all know something wrong is gonna happen with the next operation with the disposable males and Hiro is gonna be necessary again.

Or didn't you..?

It certainly would be nice if things progressed so fast.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 04-17-2018, 05:29 AM
I am just hoping that Hiro Klaxaurification or w/e its called happens when Ichigo convinces him to ride with her. So that he would in fact drain her like Zero Two did to the other guys. So he too would slowly became like Zero Two. That'd be cool.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-17-2018, 09:09 AM
If Hiro keeps riding with 02 and somehow survives, will he also become a red demon? It seems Klaxaurification for humans is permanent, but humanification for 02 is temporary, so if they just keep on going, I assume Hiro will become just like her.

Will Ichihoe still like him if he becomes the enemy?

Kraco
Tue, 04-17-2018, 10:06 AM
I am just hoping that Hiro Klaxaurification or w/e its called happens when Ichigo convinces him to ride with her. So that he would in fact drain her like Zero Two did to the other guys. So he too would slowly became like Zero Two. That'd be cool.

It has been shown a few times he can't really ride with anyone else. Furthermore, the adult staff knows more or less what's going on with Hiro, so logically they shouldn't allow Hiro to ride with Ichigo, at least not as long as Ichigo can still fight. If Ichigo became useless, then they might allow it, just to see what could happen. However, I do hope Hiro would simply refuse. He's supposed to fly only with Zero Two.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-17-2018, 12:02 PM
I hope in the next episode that Hiro just flatly rejects Ichihoe. That'd be a nice trope subversion, avoiding the boring and cringe-worthy teen angst looming in the horizon.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 04-22-2018, 09:34 AM
Next Ep is out.

Was kind of hoping it would last longer but hey glad it happened.

MFauli
Sun, 04-22-2018, 03:02 PM
In your face, Bitchigo :]

Kraco
Sun, 04-22-2018, 03:11 PM
Was kind of hoping it would last longer but hey glad it happened.

I, on the contrary, was happy we didn't have more than half an episode of Hiro's depression. It's good he reunited with Zero Two this quickly.

Kraco
Sun, 05-06-2018, 04:32 PM
Episode 16

- --- -

The kids are starting to run out of longevity if I interpreted this episode correctly. It feels like Zero Two knows what's going on, but doesn't say anything. Is Hiro an exception, and if he is, does Zero Two already know it? Despite how she's acting now, I doubt the deaths of the others would matter that much to her as long as Hiro remains. Although even if Hiro isn't an exception, it could be possible for Zero Two not to care too much if she's inhuman enough. Even if they want to keep living, not nearly as many organisms contemplate death as much as humans do and consider it something so frightful.

It still remain more or less a mystery what the heck Papa and the other geezers are really after. Is it a way to return humans to a more normal way or life or something totally different?

MFauli
Sun, 05-06-2018, 06:25 PM
Kokoro is a shallow bitch and even caused fat boy to attain an eating disorder. Yay.

#bitchigo #notalone

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Wait, wasn't the eating disorder caused by riding Franxx?

I totally agree that Kokoro is a bitch, though. I'm just glad she fell in love with a gay boy.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 05-08-2018, 08:23 AM
So do all of the kids have Werner Syndrome or just the one? I mean she suddenly got a few gray hairs. Would explain why only kids are parasites. Not like they will live long anyway.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 06-10-2018, 08:45 AM
New Ep.

Well now, things are definitely speeding up now.

David75
Sun, 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM
Yup.
That show has great moments mixed with some strange choices. Feels like we're going to have an exponential pace from now on. I guess that slow curve at first, going to the stars towards the end is needed so that you can have some background on characters and their world, get involved and then fully experience the last few eps. At least many anime follow that kind of pace.

MFauli
Mon, 06-18-2018, 04:50 PM
It's audio-visually nice. But I can't get rid of the impression that this is a worse, cheaper version of EVA. Even the plot is now the same, the whole 'freeing your soul from your body' stuff.

This anime would have done well with less fan-service and a more original story.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-04-2018, 12:53 PM
I don't feel like a giant space battle was necessary, but this show wants to do it.

It's weird that they say infertile humans can't pilot Franxx, but then have Kluxo Sapiens say they've become infertile. What?

If Kluxosaurs were such intelligent beings, why the fuck did they just single rush Plantation sites in the first place?

Advocates who wanted the entire universe to merge together are so bossy. Just let the other dudes destroy themselves if they wish. Enjoy your eternal bliss by yourself.

Binging this show has been pretty good. I was going to skip this because of Trigger. I got tired of their shows being weird, over the top wackjobs. At least this one wasn't over the top.

Chibi Red Zero Two is the best thing in this show.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-07-2018, 11:44 AM
Episode 24

--------------------

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

The midseason was way better. The final Earth vs Aliens was generic as fuck. The who should have remained Kluxosaurs or something.

VIRM turned out pretty pointless.