PDA

View Full Version : Grancrest Senki

Kraco
Fri, 01-05-2018, 07:03 PM
https://i.imgur.com/jAWsWgL.jpg

"In a continent threatened by demons from another dimension called Chaos, the nobility fought back using Crests, which gave them superhuman powers. However, rather than join forces to end Chaos, the nobles instead fought each other to gain more Crest powers and lands. The story focuses on Siluca Meletes, a young mage who scorns the feuding lords for abandoning their people and Theo Cornaro, wandering knight and Crest holder who is trying to liberate his hometown from its tyrant lord. Joining forces, Siluca, Theo and their allies fight together to end the wars between the nobility and end Chaos." -Wikipedia

Genre: Action, Fantasy
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=12496) | Official (http://grancrest-anime.jp/)

- - - - - - -

Based on the first episode, this didn't seem half bad. It reminded me a little bit of Vanadis, which I hope wasn't a false impression. It'll depend on if there's any lording business, I reckon, or if it was merely a title and this will turn into adventure. All in all this did show promise. The male MC wasn't OP at all, but he did have the attitude right, so it's perfectly okay. Although it was quite amusing how his first fight made me think of how anyone's first fight in a fantasy RPG would look like. The female MC is a pretty manipulator. Seeing how C.C. is one of my favourite anime characters, I can't dislike that as long as it otherwise works. It did so far. I especially liked how she nonchalantly summoned the monster for the dude to defeat and get stronger, or die trying. Of course I appreciate the dude isn't brainlessly following her but is at least delivering witty comebacks if nothing else.

The production values could be a bit higher as it was obvious the studio really had to plan where to invest their yens in this episode. But I guess money is tight everywhere but in North Korea's nuclear weapons program. There were a couple of weird plot elements, or at least the story didn't deliver them perfectly, like the demon lord appearing in the church without anybody doing anything about it. After that it was unexplained why the two countries went back to war when both of their leaders were killed. If only one was, it would have made more sense. You'd think this would have rather urged them to fricking do something about the demons.

It's interesting I didn't really recognize the VAs of either main character. Not bad to give chances to actors who haven't had major roles by the dozens.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-06-2018, 08:09 AM
I definitely recognized the blond as the female lead of Classroom of the Elite, almost instantly.

Munsu
Sat, 01-06-2018, 09:24 AM
I definitely recognized the blond as the female lead of Classroom of the Elite, almost instantly.

Not sure how you did. Other than a split instance here and there, to me the portrayal of this anime's character and Horikita are quite different to the point that the voice doesn't resemble each other to me.

But if you did do it, cool.

The dude's VA I could've sworn I heard him before, but seeing his roles I don't think there was any in particular that would've resonated with me enough to make it familiar. His role in Tsuredure Children is the only big maybe, but given the nature of that show, I just don't think that's it. Probably was confusing him with another.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-06-2018, 11:43 AM
I typically recognize people by voice and not face.

Her VA has a particular "soft gentle whining" and "tearing" to her voice when she elevates in pitch.

But once she starts doing narration after the grand hall disaster or whatever it is called, there's absolutely zero doubt. It's softer and not as biting as Horikita, but it is unmistakable. The direction is different, but the key identifiers in her voice are unchanged from her other roles that I've seen.

Munsu
Sat, 01-06-2018, 12:10 PM
I typically recognize people by voice and not face.

Her VA has a particular "soft gentle whining" and "tearing" to her voice when she elevates in pitch.

But once she starts doing narration after the grand hall disaster or whatever it is called, there's absolutely zero doubt. It's softer and not as biting as Horikita, but it is unmistakable. The direction is different, but the key identifiers in her voice are unchanged from her other roles that I've seen.

You're correct, in that narration portion it's quite easy to tell.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 01-07-2018, 01:20 PM
My reply was deleted? All I said was I enjoyed the first episode. :/

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-07-2018, 01:39 PM
This show could be decent-good.

The setup was really rushed though but I don't mind.
They need to up the quality now though.

It's actually pretty funny how he got his land/castle in an blink of an eye so fast.

It really reminds me of Vanadis too.

If only one was, it would have made more sense. You'd think this would have rather urged them to fricking do something about the demons.

It looked like the princess was disappointed in the weak prince who fainted and allowed their fathers to be killed by the demon. I'm pretty sure that's the reason they are at war again. Maybe their family crests are rather strong and she/they believe the demon can't be stopped with a weakling wielding it. So the princess wants to own both.

Kraco
Sun, 01-07-2018, 01:57 PM

I don't see any deleted messages. Might have been some random glitch.

It looked like the princess was disappointed in the weak prince who fainted and allowed their fathers to be killed by the demon. I'm pretty sure that's the reason they are at war again. Maybe their family crests are rather strong and she/they believe the demon can't be stopped with a weakling wielding it. So the princess wants to own both.

I didn't consider that. It might be possible. Now that you mentioned it, that prince didn't exactly act like a macho man. Nevertheless, I still think it's pretty strange to start to hate the prince more than the demons who murdered their fathers. It's like the nobles in that world have accepted that the chaos element causes disasters left and right and don't even try to do anything about it. Kind of like the USA had decided to do nothing after the 9/11.

Munsu
Sun, 01-07-2018, 02:18 PM

I don't see any deletions either.

The one things I didn't care all that much, or at least wish the elaborate or explain better was how the new knight came about with the monster summoned. I mean, it feels like a very cheap way to get strong to me.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 01-07-2018, 02:53 PM
@ Kraco and Munso

Ohh ok. Must be a glitch.

Hopefully they don't lose this pacing. I never noticed she is the voice of Horikita. I should enjoy this more now. :)

Kraco
Sun, 01-07-2018, 05:13 PM
The one things I didn't care all that much, or at least wish the elaborate or explain better was how the new knight came about with the monster summoned. I mean, it feels like a very cheap way to get strong to me.

I guess it depends on how much the crest matters. His crest didn't grow too much, though. The kings, or whatever they were, had huge crests but they were worth nothing against that randomly spawning demon king. So, it could be a cheap way (if you are willing to bet your life fighting chaos monsters), but we don't know if the powerup is cheap as well.

Munsu
Sun, 01-07-2018, 07:04 PM
I guess it depends on how much the crest matters. His crest didn't grow too much, though. The kings, or whatever they were, had huge crests but they were worth nothing against that randomly spawning demon king. So, it could be a cheap way (if you are willing to bet your life fighting chaos monsters), but we don't know if the powerup is cheap as well.

Just seems like all you have to do is get a mage to spawn monsters for you and you'll instantly get stronger and stronger by absorbing the core.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-07-2018, 10:55 PM
But like RPGs, you probably need to fight way bigger things to get stronger at higher levels. Maybe mages can't randomly summon dragons and demons.

Kraco
Mon, 01-08-2018, 03:44 AM
Could she even control the thing summoned this time? If she could summon something truly powerful, but the dude couldn't defeat it, would the monster them wander off wherever, possibly laying waste to some village? On the other hand, if she could control even the likes of dragons, she would be too OP for the story.

All in all, I'd like to think there's a limit to what she can summon. It would be a pretty doomed world if any fledgling mage could summon humongous monsters.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 01-08-2018, 09:13 AM
I don't think she could control it. Only dragging it out of the chaos.

Ryllharu
Mon, 01-08-2018, 05:03 PM
There's a quick part of the scene where it starts to look like he's way out of his depth and gets his ass tossed. She pulls her wand thing up and drops her smirk. 14:16.

I believe that implies she had the means to put it down if he wasn't living up to her expectations as a useful pawn. She wasn't about to let him die if he was a failure.

Kraco
Tue, 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM
Maybe she would have put him down, to save him from the fate of getting eaten alive by the monster. That would be merciful.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 01-09-2018, 12:56 PM
There's a quick part of the scene where it starts to look like he's way out of his depth and gets his ass tossed. She pulls her wand thing up and drops her smirk. 14:16.

I believe that implies she had the means to put it down if he wasn't living up to her expectations as a useful pawn. She wasn't about to let him die if he was a failure.

I'd say he was out of his depth. He's kind of lucky that his sword struck a killing blow. Who's to say that a two headed dog didn't have two hearts.

Munsu
Sat, 01-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Episode 2:

https://nyaa.si/view/995947/torrent

Kraco
Sat, 01-13-2018, 11:32 AM
I'm not sure what to think of the MC telling Siluca he will simply follow her instructions. He has his own ideals and ambitions, so shouldn't he be chasing those? At least he should ride out and check the three villages to see they aren't pestered by monsters or other troubles. Considering he met Siluca by sticking his nose into other people's business due to his sense of justice, it doesn't make much sense he would now turn completely passive.

Munsu
Sat, 01-13-2018, 12:36 PM
I'm not sure what to think of the MC telling Siluca he will simply follow her instructions. He has his own ideals and ambitions, so shouldn't he be chasing those? At least he should ride out and check the three villages to see they aren't pestered by monsters or other troubles. Considering he met Siluca by sticking his nose into other people's business due to his sense of justice, it doesn't make much sense he would now turn completely passive.

Agreed. Just the same towards the end of the episode he regained some of his former self when he got involved in the battle even though he was told otherwise.

KrayZ33
Sat, 01-13-2018, 12:47 PM
I'm in love with the idea of this show, but much like Vanadis, it focuses too little on the interesting aspects as governing and feudal disputes.

The fact that he has a vassal now is pretty cool, however it was too easy and too quick.
That Lord looked like he had much more pride in him.

It's such an insult to his men who died on the battlefield. I hate it that japanese anime don't care about such things. No one would go to war for a dude like that. Morale would be low, soldiers would flee in an instant because it's clearly not worth dying for someone as unrealible as him.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-13-2018, 03:59 PM
He didn't sacrifice his mage. He seems easy going or uncaring but isn't. Kuudere.

Becoming a vassal is quite common after defeat in noble warfare. Either that or being ransomed back. I like how practical he was about it.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-13-2018, 04:31 PM
This show is like...incredibly generic, but I gotta admit that I'm enjoying it.

I don't mind that they're skipping over the political posturing bullshit and just getting down to fighting. That's the crap that bogged down Vanadis. There are shows that do that sort of thing well, and shows like this where if they pretended to do it, it would just be poorly done and ruin the pacing. Leave that to Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and Spice and Wolf and the space operas.

Ruthless Administrator-Mage Siluca is covering all that stuff in the background. We don't need to see her get into the details when we get a few examples of the results of her actions. It's more than enough.

Loved the poleaxe woman relentlessly pursuing the cautious footman who was vexing her.

I'm also down with the weird classes they have. Mage, crest-bearers, "artists" and spies.

KrayZ33
Sat, 01-13-2018, 05:16 PM
I don't mind that they're skipping over the political posturing bullshit and just getting down to fighting. That's the crap that bogged down Vanadis. There are shows that do that sort of thing well, and shows like this where if they pretended to do it, it would just be poorly done and ruin the pacing. Leave that to Maoyuu Maou Yuusha and Spice and Wolf and the space operas.

It's just that the fighting is relative borish.

The mage vs mage fight was basically non-existent, a random lowlevel lord with nearly no skills whatsoever (MC) came rushing in and finished the job. The mage was exhausted, but there was absolutely nothing that classified him as a mage during most of the fight. Why didn't he use his invisibility more often or zap at least once or twice.

The enemy lord went on to charge a castle with 50 men but no real means to take the walls. Woot?
MC faced the enemy in front of the wall instead behind. Woot?
There was no way the polearm woman couldn't basically kill everyone, whether they "fall back" or not. She leaps hundreds of meters with a single jump and can change directions mid-air. There is no escaping that.
And I have to admit, she hyped me up real good when she starting swinging that weapon of hers.

I don't know, the fighting is horrible, which is why I want to see political warfare and intrigue... or at least clever tactics, he is behind enemy lines after all.

I'm thinking the opposite, the fighting is taking the story down the drain, because it's super generic and makes very, very little sense.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-13-2018, 06:29 PM
The mage vs mage fight was basically non-existent, a random lowlevel lord with nearly no skills whatsoever (MC) came rushing in and finished the job. The mage was exhausted, but there was absolutely nothing that classified him as a mage during most of the fight. Why didn't he use his invisibility more often or zap at least once or twice.

There was no way the polearm woman couldn't basically kill everyone, whether they "fall back" or not. She leaps hundreds of meters with a single jump and can change directions mid-air. There is no escaping that.
And I have to admit, she hyped me up real good when she starting swinging that weapon of hers.

Don't forget that Siluca is supposed to be special for mastering 6 of the 7 colors of magic or whatever it was. Other mage has managed to master illusion and air or whatever, while Siluca can cast pretty much whatever she wants. He ambushed her, and has better combat skills compare to her purely magic skills, so he was able to stalemate her.

I viewed poleaxe woman the same as Karura from Utawarerumono. She's a beast. Her main goal was clearing her area so she could back up Siluca, though Theo ultimately fulfilled that goal. The caution and respect her opponents showed her resulted in her respecting them in turn.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-13-2018, 08:19 PM
The fort didn't have soldiers or archers to attack from behind the wall. They basically had the 3 elite fighters and the general (and a bunch of fodder who let the MC go alone for some reason). If they let the enemy come close to the wall, the enemy can just burn it down.

Munsu
Sat, 01-13-2018, 10:51 PM
The fort didn't have soldiers or archers to attack from behind the wall. They basically had the 3 elite fighters and the general (and a bunch of fodder who let the MC go alone for some reason). If they let the enemy come close to the wall, the enemy can just burn it down.

Well, I'm wondering where are the armies in this show. It's like all about having a group of mercenaries and go take down a castle.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-14-2018, 12:03 AM
Small town nobles don't have armies. They have bullies.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-14-2018, 05:50 AM

That's not how a castle works, small castle were garrisoned by very few men and used to fend off armies of hundreds during medieval times simply by sitting things out.

Kraco
Sun, 01-14-2018, 11:35 AM
That's not how a castle works, small castle were garrisoned by very few men and used to fend off armies of hundreds during medieval times simply by sitting things out.

A mage could deal with a tiny castle. So, that would have been a mage vs mage anyway. The castle would have potentially got ruined if they didn't take it elsewhere. I reckon the likes of Theo already could jump high enough to clear a wall like that. At least I assume the crest does give him some powers. The poleaxe woman could jump much, much higher (and not die when falling down). So, castles aren't as handy in that universe as in ours.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-14-2018, 12:38 PM
A mage could deal with a tiny castle. So, that would have been a mage vs mage anyway. The castle would have potentially got ruined if they didn't take it elsewhere. I reckon the likes of Theo already could jump high enough to clear a wall like that. At least I assume the crest does give him some powers. The poleaxe woman could jump much, much higher (and not die when falling down). So, castles aren't as handy in that universe as in ours.

Then there is no reason to have them though - which would raise the question why lords feel it necessary to build them... considering that probably every other lord.. or every lord has a mage.

It's not that everything has to be realistic, but things should at least make sense.

In The Witcher, mages are powerful too, but castles are still important and work the way they are supposed to.

Kraco
Mon, 01-15-2018, 04:32 AM
They keep peasants, bandits, and weak monsters away. Defense against other, properly prepared nobles might be compromised, but otherwise the nobles still need a place where to live, where to have their family and court, some of the troops, and their wealth.

Kraco
Fri, 01-19-2018, 04:17 PM
Episode 3

- - - - -

Siluca is no doubt talented, but I feel like the geezer was correct: she's overreaching. She acts like she could actually fool her father and that lady Marrine. Both of those ought to be far more crafty and experienced than Siluca.

Not a bad episode, though the pace seems quite hurried and a lot happens behind the scenes and is only mentioned afterwards. I think I can't really read Theo or perhaps I'm reading too much into it when there's in fact nothing to read. Who knows.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-19-2018, 09:29 PM
This series reminds me more and more of stuff like Scrapped Princess and Chaika. There's an established world that the audience is at least aware of enough to get by, but the characters within it know more than the audience.

And that's not a bad thing. It lets them skip a lot of direct exposition or require a dumbass character, while slowly revealing the setting bit by bit. It's certainly a more classic approach to fantasy anime.

KrayZ33
Sat, 01-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Still in love with several ideas in this show... like how the mage with her conductor's baton rips apart the aether while spellcasting... or leaks some kind of colour/paint as if in water, resulting in a screen where colours and scenery seem to blur in a gooey blue/dark mess and all that stuff.

Pretty cool way to animate spells... much better than the "rune and magic circles" we see normaly.

Not really amazed by the battles between the human factions so far, it's very chaotic and stuff appears whenever it wants to even though it was never there at the beginning of a battle.

Kraco
Fri, 01-26-2018, 01:22 PM
Episode 4

- - - - - -

It's quite resfreshing how a highly self-confident and in many senses capable MC like Siluca keeps making such mistakes. Not just any stupid mistakes a typical hot-headed shounen protagonist might do, but rather these sort of overreaching political or tactical misjudgements that are clearly caused by her inexperience. I can't really say the mistakes their enemies have made would be as stylish, but I guess there must be a weak point somewhere. Not that they would be insufferable. This time it was just a gamble, trusting the Earl wouldn't come, but even when he did, it's not like Kreische would have suffered more than a humiliating defeat. She was able to escape and her forces weren't completely annihilated, I reckon.

It's interesting Theo doesn't show much attachment to his lands and possessions, apart from not letting go of the cute mage. That, of course, is a most excellent decision. All in all I still can't really judge his character, but I suppose easy come, easy go does play a role. It hasn't been so long since he was made a ruler of that place, so he hasn't invested much in it.

David75
Fri, 01-26-2018, 02:23 PM
Siluca made him grow so much in so little time when she isn't even experienced that he knows she's way more important than what he acquired so fast.
Getting new lands and allies will be quick if needed again.
And remember his goal is to have enough power to protect his backwaters island. He doesn't need some faraway lands.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-28-2018, 07:29 AM
I liked the little detail where Siluca (and most of her female classmates) view the Earl as a philanderer, when he's actually deliberately releasing his mages so they can start families of their own or find a new lord/lady once they're 25.

It seemed like a minor throwaway detail, but it actually had some solid world building baked into it. Contracted mages really are at the total behest of their lords, with no allowance for a personal life.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-28-2018, 02:37 PM
It's as if I'm watching this in 2x speed sometimes. Which is okay.... I guess, but it's when characters start to die and you don't really see any consequence whatsoever, it's hard to follow.

neflight86
Mon, 01-29-2018, 08:57 AM
Good fantasy stuff, but I have concluded it is a bit... sterile? Named characters die off screen, paradigm shifts in circumstance every other episode with no strong emotional reaction... Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the story, but none of the characters leave a strong impression yet. Word has it that this is a re-written D&D (or D&D clone) campaign by the author, which might explain the scope. Glad this is listed at 24 episodes, because with some more time to percolate, I'm sure it will become something well worth watching, and it is avoiding most fantasy anime tropes, which I like.

Kraco
Fri, 02-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Episode 5

- -- - -

This does feel kind of disjointed. Does this show even need vampires and werewolves? Honestly, they appeared out of nowhere. I thought maybe HS was screwing with the downloaders again when I began to watch the ep, all the way until the crests were mentioned.

The weakest episode so far, no doubt. Making those daughters of the previous clan leader serve as maids... What the hell? That's like a plot element from some half-witted fanservice isekai story.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 02-03-2018, 05:29 AM
Yeah not a fan of that either but I guess they'd need an 'official' role in order to remain a palace that belongs to Vilsar.
But I did like the fact that they brought Vampires and Werewolves into it. More worldbuilding. I mean we know there is Chaos and that it creates monsters but that's about all we know.I really don't mind more expansion on that matter. Werewolves and Vampires use Chaos to fight like the mages only to them it is an actual part of who they are. They have Chaos inside of them instead of the mages who use and manipulate the chaos around them.

KrayZ33
Sat, 02-03-2018, 06:38 AM
I'm not sure whether they needed the werewolves or vampires, but the fight this time around was several times more entertaining to watch than all the others combined.

It actually had a really fluid and diverse choreography which combined magecraft, monsters and martial skill.

And I'm a fan of vampires in a medieval setting anyway, that huge portrait of him was badass.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-18-2018, 08:56 AM
Episode 07

-------------------------------

I'd dump that weak-ass prince too if I was Marrine actually. He's not even that good looking next to Villar either.

Kraco
Sun, 02-18-2018, 01:11 PM
I'd dump that weak-ass prince too if I was Marrine actually. He's not even that good looking next to Villar either.

Let's not be so hasty. If Marrine actually married him, Marrine could be rather sure she would be the ultimate ruler since that dude probably wouldn't have the will to argue against her decisions. In some ways having a single strong ruler would be less problematic than having two strong ones. Although I suppose the former Union lords might feel like Alexis isn't representing them well enough. It would require Marrine to be of decent character and strive to be impartial.

It's pretty funny the highest noble of the Union would know Theo not because of his achievements but because he threw away land and title for the sake of a woman.

I earlier badmouthed the decision to make the werewolf princesses mere maids, but that's actually a pretty good cover to have two relatively efficient fighters around without anybody noticing.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 02-22-2018, 03:56 PM
I do like how they showed a different effect a Crest can have on it's people. I mean those 'assassins' were forcefully ordered. Makes you wonder what else you can do with a Crest.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-24-2018, 10:22 PM
Episode 8

--------------------

I really liked this episode, because it pointed out that even if Marrine is a bloodthirsty princess now, she deeply loves Alexis. From the last episode, I thought he was a useless weakling, but this part made it clear that he understands the social parts of rule, where Marrine has always been focused on the pragmatic parts of it.

They really are the perfect pairing.

It is interesting that the butler for Siluca used to be Marrine's bodyguard.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-25-2018, 09:21 AM
Oh that fool who partially caused both monarchs to die? Marrine needs better people in her employ. Her mage is quite stupid too.

Kraco
Mon, 02-26-2018, 02:20 PM
The Alliance folks seem too single-minded and simple-minded. Thus while it might take some effort, I can't see it being impossible for Villar to defend himself and his lands. Simple people have simple battle strategies.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-04-2018, 06:48 AM
Episode 9

-------------------------------------------------------------

That bitch is defiled now, throw her away.

I mean, seriously, even before the last bit. That girl needs to die.

"Oh I'm in such a tough spot, let me just murder everyone like hitler. Alexis still loves me though, right?"

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-16-2018, 12:39 PM
Episode 11

---------------------------------------------

Strangely enough I found this episode more emotional than the latest Violet Evergarden (mostly due to lack of impact from the latter than to say the former was spectacular).

I still don't get why Villar was okay with antagonizing the Alliance when he doesn't really want to fight them. In that sense I do agree with the folks who say he brought it upon himself. When you start shit you kind of have to commit to it.

Ryllharu
Fri, 03-16-2018, 05:45 PM
Yeah, this episode was a bit of a bummer. Villar's mage girl killed off screen, the other poisons herself, and that asshole Milza gets rewarded.

Villar was trying to weaken the Union so that Marrine would give up her pointless bloodthirst "revenge" of nothing and marry her true love. But now she's committed herself to conquest. Again, she's being stupid.

I guess the next step now is Siluca and Theo's domain of monster-folk are going to "shake the world." It's one thing for Marrine's heavy troopers, her Viking-pirate allies, Bedouins and Siluca's asshole father to take out Villar's fairly traditional troops. It will be another when they have to face off against werewolves and vampire-kin, along with Siluca's adept friend Aishela. Theo's troops have already proven that a single one of them can slaughter dozens of troops like Marrine's. Every one of the them fights as hard as a single Villar.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-17-2018, 12:04 AM
All gloves are off. Marrine needs to be skinned alive then healed completely x92512005412458821737458 times. She deserves no mercy.

The turban guy? Well, he can just vanish off screen. Meh.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-17-2018, 05:14 AM
@Ryll: I'm not convinced that he just wanted Marrine to back off. At the council he was happy for Alex to launch an offensive. It was only when he was asked to be the poster boy that he goes "oh no I could not possibly fight my cousin"

Even when Siluca advised to launch an offensive his demeanor suggested that he knew that was right all along - he just really didn't want to go against Alexis (so he should have just lead the right anyway). In doing so he's killed off his entire army and upper management.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-17-2018, 08:40 AM
This entire war makes no sense.

Also, why did Villar suicide against the enemy instead of just giving his crests to the MC? He just made that whore stronger...

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 03-17-2018, 07:04 PM
He didn't make her stronger. He made Milza stronger since he received his crest. I do hope Theo has gotten somewhat stronger. Totally okay with him 'grinding' off screen against Chaos summoned monsters to strengthen his Crest.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-18-2018, 06:09 AM
I was seriously disappointed with that fight overall, the small scale battle at the beginning of the show against ... Viscar (or something?), the dude who is now their ally, was more interesting than that.

I'm also disappointed in that "hellfire-girl", her spellcasting started really strong, but the animation couldn't keep up at all... I didn't read the LN but I can only imagine how her "fire-aura" was described in the books compared to how it looked in the anime.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 03-18-2018, 06:35 AM
Well with a nickname like Hellfire I'd expect something more imposing than a fiery aura.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-18-2018, 09:33 AM
I've been disappointed with fire-based or pyrokinetic characters basically forever. It's really hard to top Flame of Recca or Stephen King's Firestarter.

edit: Or FMA's Roy Mustang.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-18-2018, 10:21 AM
Well it was pretty cool when she crashed whatever was behind that gate with her first flame spell and started to douse herself with a flamable substance.
I actually expected her to turn into a brightwizard from Warhammer of some kind (she even died like one), but it was nothing more than some ugly Saiyajin aura around her...

Hell, they were clearly trying to make her look like a dancing flame (she did in fact "dance" around Villar at one point, which looked horrible), but in the end, it looked like *crap* and super low effort.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-18-2018, 10:27 AM
Low budgetness.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-18-2018, 08:33 PM
I literally overlooked all of that just because she's so awesome.

Kraco
Fri, 03-23-2018, 04:37 PM
In my opinion the biggest problem Theo and his buddies face (I won't say Union because all the remaining Union lords are apparently either cowards or already on the Alliance's payroll) is the fact the Alliance seems to possess a clone factory somewhere. They have unlimited troops. Consider all the casualties they have suffered during this campaign of offensive warfare but then realise their army seems to still be as large as ever. How on Earth can you fight against an enemy like that? Maybe Theo needs to find himself a master necromancer to be able to use the dead of the enemy against the enemy. That way the unlimited clone troops will face unlimited zombie troops.

Otherwise I'm actually satisfied with this progress. The Union was made of idiots, Vilar Can't-Fight-Against-Cousin included, so it makes sense the Alliance with their far better preparations and mindset would keep winning. Now that Theo isn't anymore Vilar's underling and thus subject to senseless commands, he might be able to do the rights things. Maybe that single Union lord who's planning to strike against the Alliance homefront will prove to be of some use to Theo, but he's still an idiot for deciding to do that only now. It would be pretty sweet to see Theo employ guerrilla tactics for the time being. His inhuman troops should be perfect for it and the enemy's stupid knights would be most vulnerable to it. The Vikings might be less vulnerable, but let's be honest, nobody should be afraid of them away from the sea.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-24-2018, 02:15 AM
Villar's sea mirror was pretty awesome. They should have saved some oil+fire tactics for night raids.

Story-wise, Villar had to die if Theo was to grow.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 03-24-2018, 05:50 AM
I was wondering how this would end since I thought it would only have 12 episodes but I am glad to see it has 24! So plenty of time for more of this. Wouldn't be surprised if Milza eventually decides to become Emperor himself if his current employer decides to spare Alexis when it comes down to it. Sign of weakness and all that.

Kraco
Sat, 03-24-2018, 06:33 AM
I was wondering how this would end since I thought it would only have 12 episodes but I am glad to see it has 24! So plenty of time for more of this. Wouldn't be surprised if Milza eventually decides to become Emperor himself if his current employer decides to spare Alexis when it comes down to it. Sign of weakness and all that.

As it happens, Marrine is a cousin murdering whore using forbidden chemical warfare, so Milza might actually be planning to act like a hero when the world is mostly conquered and slay the evil witch with his own hands, thus earning idiots' gratitude. He might declare himself an emperor of the world on the side, but that's a minor detail.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 03-24-2018, 11:19 AM
As it happens, Marrine is a cousin murdering whore using forbidden chemical warfare, so Milza might actually be planning to act like a hero when the world is mostly conquered and slay the evil witch with his own hands, thus earning idiots' gratitude. He might declare himself an emperor of the world on the side, but that's a minor detail.

If history has shown us anything, men die while between the legs of a woman. Hence the term women and their venom. I suspect she will kill Milza while in bed with him. She may have sold her body to him but she most likely still sees him as the enemy.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 03-24-2018, 02:57 PM
I think it was a one time thing. As he said it...a ritual for their alliance. He wanted to make her his conquest and is satisfied enough with just sex. He even said he would not be loyal to her but as long as she fought for military rule he would fight for her. So if she strays from that path....off with her head.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 03-24-2018, 03:42 PM
Frenemies then lol

Kraco
Sat, 03-24-2018, 03:52 PM
I think it was a one time thing. As he said it...a ritual for their alliance. He wanted to make her his conquest and is satisfied enough with just sex. He even said he would not be loyal to her but as long as she fought for military rule he would fight for her. So if she strays from that path....off with her head.

I'd be totally unable to trust the guy. He would be a useful tool until a certain point, but after that it would automatically be a race to see who kills the other one first. But yeah, I don't believe Marrine would trust him either. Perhaps that is exactly why she spread her legs for him so easily: because he doesn't matter.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 03-25-2018, 06:13 AM
Now the little recap episode we just had made me realize something.

What the fuck is Priscilla supposed to do? Has she even done anything besides healing Theo that one time? That make it seem like that Church is somewhat important with somewhat of an influence but so far we've yet to see anything like that. Then again we've still got like 12 episodes left.

Ryllharu
Sun, 03-25-2018, 09:25 AM
While Theo is still building his war party, Priscilla proves that Theo has the blessing of the Church, as well as the approval of the werewolves...and eventually the vampire-kin too. That technically puts him in direct opposition to the Union *and* the Alliance, who want to end the era of Chaos, while having both the blessing of the church and the approval of the chaos-kin, Theo proves that the Grandcrest itself is not needed.

The takeaway is Theo doesn't care about what you are, he'll help you regardless. The Church seems to consider that position worthy of their allegiance.

/random speculation

Kraco
Sun, 03-25-2018, 09:52 AM
The takeaway is Theo doesn't care about what you are, he'll help you regardless. The Church seems to consider that position worthy of their allegiance.

It's pretty rare in a Japanese work that anything called a church would be so benevolent.

Kraco
Fri, 03-30-2018, 05:03 PM
Episode 12

- - - - - -

"We can't afford to die here."
"I'm so embarrassed, I might die right now."

Man, that was a funny scene. I really like the relationship of those two. It was kind of hard to see in the beginning because they showed no visible signs of it, and even now the signs kind of come out of nowhere like with this scene. Even so it was half planned to irritate Marrine. Quite masterfully irritate considering she gave up on her love in order to wage war, but she's not able to forget it. Cruel and effective.

I wish there was enough animation budget to make Milza's famous fighting skills believable. Now it's more or less all LoGH with the enemies fighting so poorly he can just cut them down like weed.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 03-30-2018, 05:39 PM
Pretty obvious Theo will kill Milza easy and Marrine will become his bitch.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Episode 16

-------------------------------------

Pretty obvious Theo will kill Milza easy and Marrine will become his bitch.

I don't know about "easily" since Milza is a 1v1 god.

Riding to battle naked was pretty damn funny. The two guys propping up the queen must have the biggest of hard-ons. xD

It's no secret now that the Mage Association was behind the wedding incident. Besides "If we lose the chaos, our magic will diminish, and lords will no longer require us as much", I wonder if there's a better reason.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 04-28-2018, 08:38 PM
Episode 16

-------------------------------------

I don't know about "easily" since Milza is a 1v1 god.

Riding to battle naked was pretty damn funny. The two guys propping up the queen must have the biggest of hard-ons. xD

It's no secret now that the Mage Association was behind the wedding incident. Besides "If we lose the chaos, our magic will diminish, and lords will no longer require us as much", I wonder if there's a better reason.

True, very true.

This show is my favorite of the season or past season so far. I hope this series last. I loving the political intrigue and battle tactics being played out the way they are. The characters are just likeable.

Nude battalion lol. I love this show for the way it's making use of tactics in a battle.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 04-29-2018, 05:16 AM
Never underestimate the power of booty. Even in war.

Ryllharu
Sun, 04-29-2018, 11:57 AM
I'm more amazed that Theo was able to bring the Rossini's in as completely as he did. The son inciting a revolt among the Nords is such a tremendous asset. Theo was somehow both unforgiving towards them, but also openly accepted their skills at influencing populations to his own ends.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 05-11-2018, 04:58 PM
New episode

It's nice to learn something new about the Order of the Crest. Seems like Priscilla will be useful in the future when the Pope decides to go after her. Faith can be quite powerful and we haven't seen much of that yet so plenty of time to get some of that.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-11-2018, 10:44 PM
So Alexis is fine with damaged goods. It'd be one thing if she was just experienced. It's another is she whored herself to get him killed...

That said, I like how Alexis finally grew some balls when he was tasked to "save" the whore. Theo has become a great politician...

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 05-12-2018, 04:19 AM
But how much of that was Siluca's plan? Sure Alexis considers them a friend but she suggested it knowing what needed to happen.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-12-2018, 06:41 AM
But how much of that was Siluca's plan? Sure Alexis considers them a friend but she suggested it knowing what needed to happen.

Siluca seemed surprised at how forward Theo was about the whole thing. She also looked dejected once Alexis insisted he was unable to fight. Theo just pulls through with earnest feelings like he always does.

It's one thing to whore yourself out because you don't care, but it's another to do so when you value your chastity but also put your duty above all else. I don't look down on her so much for that.

Ryllharu
Mon, 05-14-2018, 03:18 PM
It's the reason she did it. Yes it was political, but it was to get a psychopath and his zealots because she was losing the war that she didn't need to actually fight.

It wouldn't be a any different if she went for the Viking girl's brother, because she wanted a fleet. The correct decision would have been to begin negotiating peace with Alexis, through Villar.

There's hints from the witch burning that the Mage's Association leadership is behind this entire conflict.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-15-2018, 10:51 AM
You're pretty much saying she's wrong to fight them, which I don't really have an opinion on.

I'm addressing that I don't think she treats her chastity lightly (which is implied by the term 'whoring'), but that she instead views her duty as being that much more important.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 05-15-2018, 12:56 PM
Isn't whoring about selling your body period? I don't think it matters if the compensation is high or not. Selling sex makes you a whore, maybe not for life, but at least at that moment. I'm pretty sure she'd do it again though, like you said, if the price is right. Therefore, whore.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 05-15-2018, 11:32 PM
Isn't whoring about selling your body period?

That's not all the term means however. You can argue that anything you do is a choice and transaction.

Yet, one does not describe a woman as a whore, if a soldier captured her children and threatened to kill them unless she "willingly" had sex with them.

It's a derogatory term relative to the more neural prostitute. I don't agree that it's usage is about selling your body period without any attached connotations.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-16-2018, 07:41 AM
Ok, then she is a prostitute.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 05-16-2018, 10:24 AM
whore
[hôr]

NOUN
derogatory
a prostitute.
synonyms: prostitute · promiscuous woman · slut · sex worker · call girl · [more]
VERB
(of a woman) work as a prostitute.
"she was forced to whore in order to support herself" · [more]
synonyms: work as a prostitute · prostitute oneself · sell one's body · sell oneself · walk the streets · be on the streets · solicit · work in the sex industry · be on the game · tom · practice the oldest profession

Buffalobiian
Wed, 05-16-2018, 12:04 PM
whore
[hôr]

NOUN
derogatory
a prostitute.
synonyms: prostitute · promiscuous woman · slut · sex worker · call girl · [more]
VERB
(of a woman) work as a prostitute.
"she was forced to whore in order to support herself" · [more]
synonyms: work as a prostitute · prostitute oneself · sell one's body · sell oneself · walk the streets · be on the streets · solicit · work in the sex industry · be on the game · tom · practice the oldest profession

Which funnily enough (though agreeably enough), means that "to whore"(verb) is more neutral compared to the term "whore" (noun). I'm quite firm about the latter.

The above isn't actually as contradictory as it sounds. You can prostitute yourself once, like she did, without being a prostitute - which implies practising it professionally, or making a habit of doing so.

In that sense, you can whore without being a whore. (added oxford dictionary note since we're all referencing) 1837

Shadow Skill
Wed, 05-16-2018, 01:51 PM
Marrine sold her body to Milza though for his support. :/

shinta|hikari
Wed, 05-16-2018, 02:54 PM
I actually think both whore and prostitute are derogatory... Being a prostitute isn't exactly the most popular job that anyone and everyone wants to do.

That said, I'm totally fine with a woman selling her body for sex. It's hers to sell. I don't think anyone should be forced to do it though.

What makes her action so appalling is in line with what Ryll said. She loved someone else, but fucked a dude she just met to kill the one she loved for no reason whatsoever. However, even if she did have a perfectly heroic reason, it wouldn't change the fact that she whored herself.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 05-19-2018, 01:16 AM
I really enjoyed this week's episode.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-19-2018, 05:11 AM
Episode 19

-------------------------

Alexis's battle was pretty, but to be fair the first battle wasn't as impressive as it seemed to be.

1) Alexis had an overwhelming number of forces, and
2) The dumbass in the castle decided to send his forces out.

The second battle was much closer and Alexis did well to turn it into a siege, where he'd have the advantage. In reality you really can't anchor ships with precision like that, but whatever.

This show does well with all the off-the-shoulder looks. I very much like it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 05-20-2018, 01:54 PM
The berserker fight was pretty comical. The Nord king had like...200 gallons of blood.

But I like Alexis' hot ninja secretary.

It's also interesting that Alexis is more of mage, which is unusual for the Lords in this setting. Thus, adept assistant and not another mage.

Now I hope we get to see Aishela, the ninja secretary, and the werewolf twins shred some shit.

neflight86
Thu, 05-24-2018, 12:59 AM
Just binged from episode 12, and a lot has happened. Very enjoyable.

So, the Union is cool withe the Altirk Treaty? I would think one of the two major powers would have been suspicious of a new, third 'alliance' to contend with. I know that happened a bit back, but I guess they had no choice but to let it materialize?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 05-24-2018, 05:53 AM
The Altirks are just a bunch of friends who opened shop next door, who are also on friendly terms with your boss.

Doesn't seem too bad.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-26-2018, 06:43 AM
Alexis went from wishy-washy loser to Alpha+ in two episodes. I fully support this, because the build up was that he was reluctant to fight without good reason. Until he was given one, and then he started to crush shit. He was pretty much the only person in existence who could convince Marrine to stop being a bitch.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 05-26-2018, 08:06 AM
I like how he used his army to make a rose. Fucking privilege!!!

So... half of the anime was utter pointless bullshit then? Sure we still have this enemy in the shadows left, but the majority of what we watched was about THOT raving like a lunatic and killing people, and somehow, it all gets resolved in one episode. And she didn't even get a slap on the wrist...

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-26-2018, 08:44 AM
I honestly don't think Alexis's army being so supportive of his romance is realistic, even if they want an end to the war and know that a peaceful resolution is ideal. Not that I mind though, really.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 05-26-2018, 11:26 AM
I enjoyed this episode.

I did not expect them to redeem Marrine so soon or have her acknowledge the fact she sold her body for Milza's military support.

It also appears that both Marrine and Theo know who the real threat is. I hope this anime continues for quite a few more episodes, unless they intend to end it on 26 episodes then I think it may get rushed.

Stay away from Anime News Network review of Grancrest Seki. Whoever the reviewer is, is reviewing it on what he or she does not like rather than what is in the episode and story.

Ryllharu
Sat, 05-26-2018, 02:39 PM
Convincing Marrine she couldn't win was something only Alexis could do.

Since he's recommending the both of them ally under Theo, it gives them an out that neither side conceded to the other, that they unified peacefully as intended, and Theo will abandon the continent entirely when the conflict is over.

It really is the optimal solution.

The challenge now is how Theo will preserve the Chaos beings (werewolves, vampirekin) despite forming the Grand Crest.

Stay away from Anime News Network review of Grancrest Seki. Whoever the reviewer is, is reviewing it on what he or she does not like rather than what is in the episode and story.
ANN reviews haven't been relevant for at least eight years. ANN is the poster child of taking a hobby, turning it into a job, and immediately growing to hate it.

neflight86
Sun, 05-27-2018, 02:52 AM
A fairly milquetoast resolution to the great 'dozen episode' war. Looks like the big bads are gearing up for what I can only hope isn't the typical final boss fight of an anime that ran out of good villains. Grancrest has been more entertaining that I give it credit for so far, so I'm sure they'll come up with something good for the last conflict.

Who are those two in the background at 11:53, and why does one get to fight in a chamberpot? Did the flotsam that animated this episode run out of character designs, throw this in, and assume it was so ugly we would just avert our eyes? At this point, janky animation is all a part of the Grancrest experience and charm, so I'll deal, but that was especially double-take worthy.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 05-27-2018, 04:58 AM
Who are those two in the background at 11:53, and why does one get to fight in a chamberpot? Did the flotsam that animated this episode run out of character designs, throw this in, and assume it was so ugly we would just avert our eyes? At this point, janky animation is all a part of the Grancrest experience and charm, so I'll deal, but that was especially double-take worthy.

It's for good luck. Instead of dying in battle, the armour is built in mind for when you get old and fat.

It's the best type of armour.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 06-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Another solid episode.

No action but a lot of information.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 06-02-2018, 02:19 AM
Episode 21

--------------------------

-The curse thing, I totally forgot about that. Aishela is pretty useless now without her powers. Not that it prevents her from wearing skimpy armour.

-The game-ending move would obviously be to summon the Grand Crest right then and there. There's no reason to delay it, and there's no physical barrier to summoning it either. It's unceremonious, but it'll end the war, because:

1) The mages will have no magic after you form this and end all Chaos, supposedly.
2) Your current mages are crippled without their wands, giving you a severe disadvantage.

-The grail girl is the real MVP.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Can't they somehow make new wands and tattoos? Are these mages really so stupid as to not have researched the tools that are given to them at all? Mages in most stories do mostly R&D...

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 06-02-2018, 12:13 PM
Agreed, you'd think they would have come up with multiple ways of using magic but just didn't use it because wands were superior and also more useful ( for the organization ).

KrayZ33
Sat, 06-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Sounded and looked like to me that they can use magic, but it's freaking slow without the chaos orbs in their wands.

Kraco
Sat, 06-02-2018, 03:17 PM
There seemed to be some demon lord behind the mages, so it's possible that as long as a chaos orb is used, the higher chaos creatures will know. Kind of as long as you buy an American CPU in our world, the NSA will have an automatic way to get in, no matter who built the rest of the PC/mobile device.

But yeah, it's pretty strange they didn't even seem to make any effort. On the other hand, I don't see how the mage academy could fare so well either in this war. They are basically against the rest of the world. Unless they can summon food out of nothing, a simple siege could make them die in a miserable, slow way.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 06-23-2018, 04:51 PM
If that was the ending, it sure felt rushed IMO. :(

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-23-2018, 10:26 PM
Crap ending.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-29-2018, 01:12 PM
If werewolves get turned into normal people and Artists just lose their art, why did the cat have to die instead of turning into a normal cat? That was shit. It's all good to say "Destroy Chaos so people can choose how to live", but if you have non-evil sentient beings around then it's also genocide.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 06-29-2018, 01:23 PM
It's still genocide even if they are evil.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-29-2018, 02:07 PM
It's still genocide even if they are evil.

Ah. True. All good then.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-08-2018, 04:50 AM
The difference is the cat was a literal summoned demon, an immortal. The werewolves and vampirekin were born in the "material realm" for lack of a better term.

The Vampire Lord was the same way. It didn't matter when the older brother killed his body, he still existed. They were both non-physical beings made flesh on the "material world" side.