PDA

View Full Version : Juuni Taisen: Zodiac War

Munsu
Thu, 10-05-2017, 08:36 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5f5TRg7Cvg

The record of the bloody battle between the twelve proud warriors—

The 12th Twelve Tournament that gets held every twelve years…
Twelve brave warriors who bear the names of the signs of the zodiac fight each other for the lives and souls. The participants are twelve very strange warriors: “Rat,” “Ox,” “Tiger,” “Rabbit,” “Dragon,” “Snake,” “Horse,” “Goat,” Monkey,” “Rooster,” “Dog,” and “Pig.”

The victor of this tournament gets to have one wish granted, whatever the wish may be.
The one wish they want granted—

Who will be the final survivor?

Source: crunchyroll

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=19335

Just watched the first episode of Juuni Taisen: Zodiac War and I know I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this. Don't know if this will end up being a good anime or a bad anime, but at the very least I'm going to have fun with the action and violence. Also, it has some messed up moments that I'm sure I'll be enjoying.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 10-05-2017, 08:39 AM
I saw the first episode. An entire narrated episode was very boring. If future episodes are like this, it will be a very boring show.

Munsu
Thu, 10-05-2017, 09:44 AM
I saw the first episode. An entire narrated episode was very boring. If future episodes are like this, it will be a very boring show.

I guess I know what you're referring to, but this was far from a narrated episode. Introspective? Sure, but narrated? No.

KrayZ33
Thu, 10-05-2017, 11:12 AM
I dislike the character design.

Extremely weird looking characters, not cool at all.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 10-05-2017, 11:21 AM
I guess I know what you're referring to, but this was far from a narrated episode. Introspective? Sure, but narrated? No.

I'm calling it narrated :)

neflight86
Thu, 10-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Jolly good first episode. I like a death game with some thought. Dark and 'edgy' enough back story that isn't dwelled on enough to make me roll my eyes. Well enough animated action with a kind of rough look to the movement that may be the result of inferior animation techniques, but it looked really good, like a style, to me. Top shelf first episode in my book. I also like that the one seemingly in the most control appears to be the first one to go; I like some good chaos to keep the guessing interesting. Unfortunately, I've seen enough death game series that kind of began unraveling midway to keep my optimism in check, but boy I'd like to be wrong.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 10-11-2017, 05:12 PM
This 2nd episode was actually pretty good.

neflight86
Thu, 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Nice confirmation that boar is dead as dead gets. Dog had a good enough plan but didn't appear to think out just how his poison could affect somebody, or chicken is more conniving that she let's on, but I doubt it. Lots of neat little details spread around the dialogue.

Monkey's peacable aspirations are interesting and I genuinely don't even know what to expect next. Seriously, this is worth a watch if you aren't already.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-13-2017, 10:03 PM
I doubt Snake is actually out of the game. Rebirth is kind of its thing.

His brother also has his jewel, when it should have really gone to Rabbit since the dude killed Snake.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-13-2017, 10:28 PM
That part makes no sense. Why did Rabbit just let that happen?

I wonder what kind of power Monkey has? Rat basically said she could've won the battle right then and there but refuses to do so because she is Gandhi (not the nuclear one).

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-14-2017, 12:47 AM
That part makes no sense. Why did Rabbit just let that happen?

Because he "didn't" kill the guy.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-17-2017, 11:11 AM
Episode 03

------------------------------------

Further proof that Snake isn't actually dead - he hasn't gotten a backstory yet. Those who get die get development - then they die promptly. Let's see if this predictability impedes on this show's enjoyment. Everyone thinking they know Rat is interesting. I have no idea how that actually ties in with his power.

You'd think someone who sleeps and gets into other people's minds is a hypnotist or something..

lelouch
Tue, 10-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Easily the best show of the season. Anyone who isn't watching is missing out.

neflight86
Thu, 10-19-2017, 10:02 PM
So I guess chicken was more conniving than I gave her credit for. Good job. I like to think that Chicken was influenced by Rat's or Monkey's power, instead of the poison, to not attack. Unfortunately, I have to re-tool my expectations to the pattern that characters die when given back stories. I was hoping for a more subtle set of death flags, but it could be worse. If we are going by the end credits predicting the death order (ed chara flashes and preview), looks like monkey is up next. I really figured her pacifist angle would be one of the lasting ones till the end.

**at the end of each episode, when the moderator goes "everybody clap your hands", I hear "everybody crap your hands", and add on under my breath "then wash them, please..."

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-20-2017, 10:32 AM
If we are going by the end credits predicting the death order (ed chara flashes and preview), looks like monkey is up next.

It's been true thus far, but the ED order is actually the reverse order in which the Chinese Zodiac animals finished their race. It'd kinda suck to finish in that exact same order as if it was predestined. It obviously didn't happen last time since Boar won it.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-20-2017, 10:59 AM
The thing is, the story is about this specific battle, which can and probably will follow the order of zodiac, with Mouse being the winner.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Episode 04

----------------------------------

And there's that monkey backstory..
..no death yet, interestingly enough. During this talk we saw Ox fighting Horse still. Timelines might be pretty liberal with everything happening in parallel. We might not even see the result of this fight for a while I reckon, given Ram's preview next.

That Necromancing is some OP shit. Those birds alone should be enough against Ox. Unless he can do energy bursts with his sword (or something to that effect), strike speed alone shouldn't cut it.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-24-2017, 02:22 PM
Or he can just flash step away..?

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-24-2017, 02:50 PM
As in run away or just dodge? I'm thinking there are enough dead birds to surround him from all 4 cardinal directions + up.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Run away and then enter a building.

Munsu
Sat, 10-28-2017, 07:04 PM
Episode 04

----------------------------------

And there's that monkey backstory..
..no death yet, interestingly enough. During this talk we saw Ox fighting Horse still. Timelines might be pretty liberal with everything happening in parallel. We might not even see the result of this fight for a while I reckon, given Ram's preview next.

That Necromancing is some OP shit. Those birds alone should be enough against Ox. Unless he can do energy bursts with his sword (or something to that effect), strike speed alone shouldn't cut it.

Seems like I missed it, but when is Ox and Horse still fighting on this episode? I don't recall seeing that.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-29-2017, 04:35 AM
Seems like I missed it, but when is Ox and Horse still fighting on this episode? I don't recall seeing that.

Shortly after Chicken left and Mouse/Monkey were debating about peace methods etc. Specifically, Horrible Subs 13:55.

Munsu
Sun, 10-29-2017, 07:02 AM
Shortly after Chicken left and Mouse/Monkey were debating about peace methods etc. Specifically, Horrible Subs 13:55.

Ah, yeah, I discarded that as a flashback of sorts.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 10-31-2017, 03:32 PM
Episode 05

-------------------------

Those birds just attacked one at a time. Rabbit fails at using birds.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-31-2017, 10:29 PM
No they didn't. Monkey is just Son Goku.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-01-2017, 04:17 AM
The birds were fast, but not simultaneous in the way that they could have been used.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-01-2017, 09:23 AM
I don't think it matters if you're Son Goku.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-07-2017, 12:26 PM
Episode 06

-------------

Oh shit. Back to dying in order.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-07-2017, 10:43 PM
Called it. Next one to die is one of the twins!

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-08-2017, 02:26 AM
Well yeah, it'd be snake if it could die twice. Finishing the race in zodiac order would be neat from a literary perspective, but also boring from a plot perspective as it becomes predictable. That's why I hoped that wouldn't be the case and that the ED would merely be for illustrative purposes.

They managed to keep it interesting till now by not making the deaths one-per-week despite keeping the order however, so my worries so far has been unnecessary.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Monkey is such an idiot. Having the power to change matter phases is OP, but she relied on kung fu and got killed in a ridiculous manner. She could've just made the floor liquid and then solid again to trap bunny pervert.

And how the hell is a headless dude tracking ratboy?

And why did creepysheep even underestimate tiger? He hardly knew anything about her! It makes no sense considering his experience. The one thing you'd be is cautious, but he came out just because he was beckoned, despite being a bomb expert... What was he even planning to do? He could've just hurled a bomb at the sleeping tiger.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-09-2017, 03:34 AM
And how the hell is a headless dude tracking ratboy?

He keeps touching the ground, suggesting heat - but that would be kinda stupid because he's using a flamethrower.
Whenever rat makes loud noises Snake turns to him, but he has no ears.

Putting the to together.. perhaps it's vibration or something.

Sheep was pretty dumb, yeah. Now we'll never find out what makes an "old timer" special. It's just a bomb. I agree that he should have just bombed her. Even if she dodges, he could have ran away.

All the scenes with Rat so far suggests he's good reading people. He might even be able to read minds, which would explain why he could be super strong, yet find headless-Snake so hard to deal with.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 12-12-2017, 04:24 PM
Kay... So, the animation quality seems to have dropped considerably half way into the show. Episode 9 threw me off completely with the cell shading... Like, wth? Too bad. The story didn't seem to go anywhere but at least I was having fun watching the fights animation. Though I am still curious what the deal is with Rat. Will finish this show but we prolly won't see a 2nd season anytime soon.

Edit: #11 Interesting ability. And omg, again with the cell shading...

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-12-2017, 10:48 PM
So, what will Rat wish for to crush this organization for good? Clearly that is what he intends. Is it possible to resurrect all 11 dead warriors? Well maybe minus rabbit... Then they can team up and crush the juuni taisen organizers. I for one would love to see OP monkey back again. Even OP Ox became a pussy after confronting her...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-21-2017, 11:45 AM
The final episode was boring as fuck. He also should have brought Monkey back.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-21-2017, 01:31 PM
As expected of Nisioisin. Drawn-out pseudo-philosophical garbage.