PDA

View Full Version : Koe no Katachi - The Shape of Voice

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-10-2017, 09:50 AM
https://i.imgur.com/rm5XNMl.jpg
(seems like image resizing on imgur is not working)

"As a wild youth, elementary school student Shouya Ishida sought to beat boredom in the cruelest ways. When the deaf Shouko Nishimiya transfers into his class, Shouya and the rest of his class thoughtlessly bully her for fun. However, when her mother notifies the school, he is singled out and blamed for everything done to her. With Shouko transferring out of the school, Shouya is left at the mercy of his classmates. He is heartlessly ostracized all throughout elementary and middle school, while teachers turn a blind eye.

Now in his third year of high school, Shouya is still plagued by his wrongdoings as a young boy. Sincerely regretting his past actions, he sets out on a journey of redemption: to meet Shouko once more and make amends.

Koe no Katachi tells the heartwarming tale of Shouya's reunion with Shouko and his honest attempts to redeem himself, all while being continually haunted by the shadows of his past."

https://myanimelist.net/anime/28851/Koe_no_Katachi

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After watching "The Anthem of the Heart" I got back into watching anime-movies, which I don't do that often because of reasons that.... are unknown to me, maybe because most of them don't catch my eye.

I watched Koe no Katachi today and I'd like to recommend this movie to everyone here.

This is certainly a bittersweet watch and the way the animation was handled to allow the viewer to read between the lines was really well done. Which is to be expected from Kyoto Animation.

I think it tackled the bully-issue really well and the desperation that came along with it too. It's always sad when you hear about someone thinking about suicide, especially when s/he's actually gotten close to doing it.
Whenever a person thinks that ending his life is of a certain benefit to his surroundings, then I can't help but constantly think about how truely regrettable such a decision is - no matter how it came to it, or what happened in the past. The human isn't capable of ending his life on a whim. Going through the final step they take isn't some odd way to call for help, it's already way past that. It's basically the last solution and whenever someone actually manages to go through with an attempt (whether he succeeds or not) you can't help but think about how much that person must have suffered to completely shut out his instinct of self-preservation - something that many people couldn't do even if their own child or love would depend on it.

Anyway, what goes around comes around, as they say, yet this movie isn't just about bad karma, it's also about how difficult it is to actually redeem yourself and how everyone has to fight their own demons.

I cried some rivers. Shōko is a real stunner.

I want to point out how happy it made me feel when I noticed they used "My generation" as it's opening and have Satsuki Yukino (Chidori @ FMP) as a VA... a voice which I haven't heard even once in the last 5 years or so.

Feel free to drop your thoughts.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 09-11-2017, 03:25 AM
I really enjoyed this movie too, though I felt it ran a little on the long side.
Contains a front-runner for best "baka" in anime.

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-11-2017, 11:41 AM
I love the "pfft"-laught after she said that.

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-11-2017, 06:10 PM
Anyone who enjoys the movie really owes it to themselves to read the fabulous manga by Yoshitoki Oima from start to finish. But where the film failed a little is during the period that Shoya is in a coma, all the other characters in the series have their own point of view side chapters, and they are incredible. I'm not going to say a single other thing, so that you can experience them for yourselves.

The movie unfortunately has to cut out almost all the content of these chapters due to time constraints, though it does pick up the content of a few of them.

The depth and nuance these chapters add (all from volume 6) cannot be described easily in a few words.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-11-2017, 08:42 PM
That mom is an idiot for literally burning money.

KrayZ33
Tue, 09-12-2017, 12:06 AM
As she put it, who wants to own the money he earned in order to kill himself.

Btw. what kind of sign language do they use in the anime?
I didn't always immediatly grasp what Shoko was saying and tried to google some signs and words. Are the signs different for every language?

The "Sorry" is obviously japanese and I noticed that it's much more "visual" than the stuff I've seen before.
Whether it's "forgotten" and "learned" or "friends" etc. even someone who has no clue about it could grasp a lot of it.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 09-12-2017, 03:58 AM
Pretty sure Japanese sign language is very different from English.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Since he doesn't wanna kill himself after the mom found out, the money is now just property. She should've been a bit more careful handling flames and paper.