PDA

View Full Version : Classroom of the Elite: Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-15-2017, 04:51 AM
http://i.imgur.com/LauhN3d.jpg

This show is about students that live on a insular highschool excluded from pretty much all/most contacts on the outside.
They recieve money (points) from this school and can buy pretty much everything they want from the school's own facilities.
I won't go much further into whether and how they have to earn those points, because it's pretty well explained in the first episode in this show.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The premise sounds really promising and the first episode was entertaining to watch.

MC is somewhat of a "different version" of Hachiman - even though this wouldn't be fair to 8man.
Anyway, he's like a dead fish that can't be bothered to show interest in anything.
Yet he was clever enough to not spend his money unnecessarily.

The most interesting information in the first episode was the part at the end when the teacher revelead how *they* are able to recive points.
And I believe it's much more interesting that way, compared to the alternative.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 07-15-2017, 09:28 AM
I saw it the other day and was amazed by the first episode. I just hope the future episodes build on this premise. Sounds like the MC and the girl beside him are the only two whom are responsible.

David75
Sat, 07-15-2017, 11:01 AM
But it's highly probable that their performances are affected/linked by/to the rest of the classroom. So they have quite a heavy burden to shoulder...

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-15-2017, 11:16 AM
Exactly, that's what I meant with my vague bolded text that probably no one understood.
That's why I believe spoiler tags can be helpful sometimes :D

I'm somewhat excited how this will turn out. They are basically forced to work together and keep an eye on each other - collective punishement awaits.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-15-2017, 01:49 PM
So the upper classes just get money on an individual performance basis, but only Class D is stuck working collectively? That nearly breaks suspension of disbelief right then and there.

It has to work that way, obviously, because otherwise there wouldn't be any money to spend on Class D members humiliating themselves for points after they run out of them.

I get that this is some Machiavellian shit to produce the most elite students possible, but the premise sort of breaks apart right from the start.

David75
Sat, 07-15-2017, 02:39 PM
I guess your score is linked to the score of your class with ratios. But when the score is too low, even good individuals sink with everyone.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-15-2017, 05:56 PM
So the upper classes just get money on an individual performance basis, but only Class D is stuck working collectively? That nearly breaks suspension of disbelief right then and there.

It has to work that way, obviously, because otherwise there wouldn't be any money to spend on Class D members humiliating themselves for points after they run out of them.

I get that this is some Machiavellian shit to produce the most elite students possible, but the premise sort of breaks apart right from the start.

When did they say that the point reward system works differntly for Class D?

They never mentioned anything like that as far as I can tell and I'm assuming it's the same for every class.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-15-2017, 09:00 PM
It has to.

Either classes A through C are told exactly how the system works up front where Class D was kept in the dark, or they're treated differently, and not collectively evaluated.

Class D is obviously set up as the have-nots, based on the remarks of the upper classmen to the hothead guy. They knew that they were screwed from the start. May I remind you, that was the first day. For all those three knew, Class D could have behaved themselves the entire month from thereon. But they knew right away, taunting the guy, that they were "defective losers."

There's no way that the other three classes behaved themselves the whole time in order to still be rewarded, while Class D does not. They gave every student 100,000 yen for the month. That's a lot of temptation. Other girls were shopping, other boys were fooling around.

They had to have either been told upfront to expect Class D to come begging, or they're not graded the same way.

If you're telling me that all four classes are collectively graded, and in the first month, none of them were informed, but only Class D screws up, there's goes suspension of disbelief and this series is done.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-16-2017, 03:38 AM
If you're telling me that all four classes are collectively graded, and in the first month, none of them were informed, but only Class D screws up, there's goes suspension of disbelief and this series is done.

That's different from what you said earlier.

The synopsis of "myanimelist.net" explains what's up with Class D. However, I believe you can find it out yourself right now if you consider the type of students in Class D and the school's reputation (or just wait for episode 2).

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-16-2017, 04:23 AM
That's not different from what I said earlier at all (edit: especially when you can clearly see that you changed the emphasis when you quoted me). That's where I'm saying that it is so improbable that only Class D would get punished, if all four classes were given the same information and treated the same way. Clearly, they were not.

And they have to be the only group punished, because the little Machiavellian economy they have going can't work if all the first year classes are broke. There's no way that everyone in Classes B and C perform so perfectly, spent so little, were on their best behavior, such that none of them got punished the same way.

It's one or the other. Either the other three classes given different information or are graded differently, or the entire premise fails to accomplish suspension of disbelief.

And that description doesn't say shit. It's the same one everywhere.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-16-2017, 04:57 AM
???

You said that only class D is punished collectively - that hasn't been said.

and after that, you said that Class D is the only class that wasn't involved in a scheme/were the only ones not given information.
That's different from your earlier post where you suggested that for some odd reason (which is possible, but has to be mentioned first. Right now, there is nothing pointing in that direction) *only* class D is graded collectively

On top of that, we don't even know how the other classes were doing.

And they have to be the only group punished, because the little Machiavellian economy they have going can't work if all the first year classes are broke.

That's also probably not how it works given the information we have. Why would it not work btw?
The school is the one giving the money after all and the kids can only spend it on school grounds.
If they can get a payout at the end of their school life, then it's actually better for the school if all the classes are broke.
If they can't get a payout - it doesn't make much of a difference either. Yet, Class D might be less lucrative than the other classes because they actually spent their credits on products they can take home with them...
which means the school wouldn't want to have a class that keeps spending all it's money, which means they would've told them not to spend it - if that's important.

So, now they are missing 100.000 credits, considering that MC only had to spend 20k to get around, nothing is stopping them to actually learn now. The question is whether they are actually able to meet the schools standards. After all this school is supposed to train the elite of the elite... and class D is full of idiots.
Which leads me to the Synopsis:
"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka is a student of D-class, which is where the school dumps its "inferior" students in order to ridicule them."

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-16-2017, 06:19 AM
Which is dumb in principle. Look, I'm not saying this series doesn't have promise, it does. I sincerely hope it doesn't waste the opportunities it built for itself.

- Horikita clearly knew. Her actions, combined with Ayanokouji's unease at the amount they gave them caused him to conserve his funds. I'm guessing her shitty attitude combined with a bad exam (or transposed bubbles or something) put her in Class D.
- Ayanokouji isn't a moron, isn't a miraculously lucky loser, but he's also not a "kukuku, just as I planned" secret ubermensch that plague light novels. He's observant, but not in a dick way, and he's not some woe-is-me-martyr like Hachiman.
- Kushida, hopefully, is actually a manipulative planner, and not some innocently moronic idealist, and there's been some evidence so far of that being the case. She tries to guilt others on a bus into giving up a seat for way longer than she should have, making her look selfless and kind to the non-cynics. Then she gives puppy eyes and wiggles her breasts in front of Ayanokouji to get him to agree to help her try and befriend Horikita for no reason, and she has gone out of her way to befriend people in other classes, so she probably won't suffer too badly from the May 1st punishment. She'll have people who can pity her.

I suspect we'll be seeing the pretty/fashionable girls of Class D subjecting themselves to "dates" for complimentary meals, and using the points they trade their dignity for on essentials, clothes, and makeup to keep that train going.

But there is a gaping plothole in terms of the collective punishment Class D is subjected to, and it has to disproportionately be them for it to work. The school is trying to develop elites students for business and politics. There's no switching classes. So, they've guaranteed their "promising" students have a batch of "inferiors" to order around, pay pittances or "welfare" to, or simply use as servants or whores hostesses.
The upper classmen harassing the delinquent guy show that they expect the Class D students to end up groveling in front of them in the near future, begging them for points to buy essentials. And if Class D students manage to become somewhat self-sufficient? Well, they clearly deserved it, had the foresight and planning, or drive to succeed despite adversity. That must make them elites too.

But those points spent on using Class D students have to come from somewhere. The majority of Class D kids are broke now. Let's assume that they're arranged by grades during exams or interviews or something stupid like that, and Class A kids are probably super diligent and responsible, or already have an elitist/cultured air about them. We saw the girl from Class B, who is definitely more refined than the pretty girls from Class D. So, Class A probably got another 100,000 points, Class B got, say, 75,000, and Class C got enough between being self-sufficient, so they can "shape up" without resorting to begging, or got enough to spend on a few nice things.

This is where the plot hole is: 1) How did they know that, or 2) If they didn't know that, how did they get away with it?

I find it very hard to believe that all three other classes, when combined with their grades, had no issues like Class D did by the end of the month. And it is a collective punishment (for Class D), because Ayanokouji and Horikita behaved themselves the whole time. He got nothing and she knew from the start that they'd be getting nothing that first month and planned ahead.

Absences and tardies are specifically counted out. That's fair. Class D are the fuckups if we're to believe the premise. But cellphone use is the other one with specific counts. There's no way everyone in the other classes didn't do the same, especially if they noticed Class D, or anyone else getting away with it. I'll believe that Class A has the best behaved students. But Class C? No way. These are normal Japanese high schoolers, not royalty or coming from families of social elites like in the fantasy shows. They intermingle. The Class D kids will invariably boast about how they are getting away with it.

Even if they didn't misbehave, there would still be students that spent it all. Points aren't just for playing around, also they're for essentials and food. A girl seeing how much she had toward the end of the month might buy jewelry, clothing, or expensive care products, a guy might splurge on the video games.

They were either warned ahead of time, or aren't graded collectively. It simply is not believable that only Class D manages to completely bring their allowance below self-sustainability without prior knowledge of the system.

Edit: I will concede that this is Japan, where the nail sticking out gets hammered down. A misbehaving student in an upper class who brought the average payout down will get brought to heel, but the little system they set up doesn't work if Class A is the only one with points at the end of the first month. Class D is supposed to be the only fuckup class, right?

Something doesn't add up with the premise for the system to work as the series clearly intends it to. After the second month, now that everyone is aware? Sure. But Class D wouldn't have any issues catching up either, were that the case. They'd have a bad month, and shape up, and collectively study together, etc. But they're intended to be the servitors to the "true" elites.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-16-2017, 06:36 AM
Even if they didn't misbehave, there would still be students that spent it all. Points aren't just for playing around, also they're for essentials and food. A girl seeing how much she had toward the end of the month might buy jewelry, clothing, or expensive care products, a guy might splurge on the video games.

If they didn't misbehave, it doesn't matter if they spend it all, they get another 100k - that's the point. As long as you do your "job" in school, you are living the good live.

Class D is full of narcissistic, marvelistic and psychopathic kids (this is clear from their introductions alone). The Synopsis tells us that they are gathered in Class D on purpose.

So it's not that unlikely that the other classes are actually filled with somewhat responsible children or at least children who understand that they are judged by their merit after being told so multiple times (including the speech from their representative)

Edit: I will concede that this is Japan, where the nail sticking out gets hammered down. A misbehaving student in an upper class who brought the average payout down will get brought to heel, but the little system they set up doesn't work if Class A is the only one with points at the end of the first month. Class D is supposed to be the only fuckup class, right?

Why not? It would even work when no first year got any money, because they can look at their seniors which do have money. On top of that 2-D and 3-D will also be filled with garbage, unless you can rank up.

We can observe a similar development in schools in real life. Just compare a class with 2/30 bad apples with a class that has 28/30 bad apples

The 2/30 are likely to adapt - the 28/30 will remain the same (unless there are threatened to lose/ by something they actually care about) and the 2/30 "normal people" in the second class will actually change to the 28/30 in most cases.

edit: Now with a... less racist example.
edit2: The thing about this whole "suprise" is that it only works for 1 month anyway, they can probably get by using free products in the shops for now. So it's not like they have to sell their bodies or whatever. Who knows, maybe even the school rulebook has it written down, but no one in their class actually bothered to read it.
But now they know, and it's a question about whether they are able to change and considering that this school boasts with a 100% employment rate etc., we can assume that they will change... or at least develop traits that will help them getting a job.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-16-2017, 07:31 AM
If they didn't misbehave, it doesn't matter if they spend it all, they get another 100k - that's the point. As long as you do your "job" in school, you are living the good live.
This school is an incubator for the elite. I imagine the grades reflect highly on the allowance they get, as much as their behavior. Probably a lot more, which keeps the system working as "intended," and gets around your correct observation that it would only be a real issue for the first month.

Performance and merit. Or again, beating down the student struggling with math or whatever, or helping them so the class as a whole doesn't suffer...unless they're graded individually, unlike Class D. But this school isn't a "help everyone succeed!" school. It's a performance and merit based system meant to produce the "best of the elite." The future leaders of Japan that can support the entire nation in the future. You can't transfer classes, so...the other classes were either pre-screened, or they expect drop outs and transfers for those that can't keep up.

Why not? It would even work when no first year got any money, because they can look at their seniors which do have money. On top of that 2-D and 3-D will also be filled with garbage, unless you can rank up.
And why, exactly, would upper classmen help them? Again, you're in the wrong mindset. This isn't a collective school that means to help everyone succeed. It's a meritocracy where the best of the best of the best, are meant to come out of. They have no reason to help their lessers except out of charity.

And why would they spend money on Class 1-A through 1-C, when they can spend their money on the broken, beaten down, affordable students of 2-D and 3-D respectively?

A pity payment to a down on their luck elite younger peer doesn't get an upperclassmen anything. They have a tough month according to your interpretation, and are fine thereafter. Presumably, they still have their pride, or they don't really deserve it, since they're not really elite if they can't manage their finances, are they? Maybe a favor, maybe some good will, but it's a gamble if the "investment" will ever be worth it down the road.

However, a payment for services rendered by an increasingly desperate group of peers (1-D, 2-D and 3-D) does pay itself off, immediately. A student with nothing in their account, and really in need of a new set of clothes...or as mentioned in the series already, underwear? It's a reverse-bidding war. How much in the way of services or entertainment can you get out of a desperate student?

Now, obviously, the series has already brought up the way out of this trap. The splash screen says, "There is nothing, within the realm of reason, that cannot be bought on the campus by using points."

So for example, earn enough points back, and secretly buy one of the stores. Like that coffee shop. Or buy the cafeteria. Then all the students are paying you points out of the store's profit. Then buy another. And another. Soon, the system allows for some real Eden of the East shit going on.

Unless the author completely squanders the opportunities they wrote themselves...which is very much possible.

edit:
And seriously, the episode begins with a Nietzsche quote. I think we can expect what this series intends with the environment of the school.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-16-2017, 08:00 AM
And why, exactly, would upper classmen help them? Again, you're in the wrong mindset. This isn't a collective school that means to help everyone succeed. It's a meritocracy where the best of the best of the best, are meant to come out of. They have no reason to help their lessers except out of charity.

But they don't need the upper classmen to help them physically, they only need them to see how they can be and what they can achieve when they change themselves/go with the system. This works the other way around too

And why would they spend money on Class 1-A through 1-C, when they can spend their money on the broken, beaten down, affordable students of 2-D and 3-D respectively?

A pity payment to a down on their luck elite younger peer doesn't get an upperclassmen anything. They have a tough month according to your interpretation, and are fine thereafter. Presumably, they still have their pride, or they don't really deserve it, since they're not really elite if they can't manage their finances, are they? Maybe a favor, maybe some good will, but it's a gamble if the "investment" will ever be worth it down the road.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. The way I read it, it seems like you are confused about how everyone gets their credits right now.
Why are you assuming class D "serves" or something? I think we are talking about different things here.

If Class D behaves correctly, they get money from the school/goverment,
If they don't behave they can get something from their upper classmen / or any class that didn't fail by begging or selling themselves, sure. But it's not like they have to spent money on them.

What I was saying is that even if 1-A to 1-D don't get any money in the first month, the system would still work because obviously the upper classes know how things roll and since they have money, it means the school isn't lying about giving people money based on how they perform.
Which means they have to get their shit together and join the money club.

So I don't understand why you are saying the system wouldn't work if only Class A managed to get money.
The reason why Class D is hell is because it's unlikely that they'll get their shit together in the first place.

Well, I don't really have that mindset. At the same time however, this school has a 100% success rate, which suggest that the system works for everyone, even for the failures in class D.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Seriously, read the episode title for this episode, and the next shown in the preview, and notice that the OP has a ton of philosophical quotes in it. I'm really surprised you somehow think there will be any goodwill at this school.

But they don't need the upper classmen to help them physically, they only need them to see how they can be and what they can achieve when they change themselves/go with the system. This works the other way around too
You're not answering the question. Why would they help Class 1-A through 1-C, even IF they found themselves in the same predicament as 1-D of having no money in May? They won't. Upperclassmen don't care about being an example of success. Class D is the example of what happens when you fail, and is the deterrent. You fail and go hungry, or you don't, or you take advantage of those who are hungry.

I don't understand what you are trying to say here. The way I read it, it seems like you are confused about how everyone gets their credits right now.
Why are you assuming class D "serves" or something? I think we are talking about different things here.

If Class D behaves correctly, they get money from the school/goverment,
If they don't behave they can get something from their upper classmen / or any class that didn't fail by begging or selling themselves, sure. But it's not like they have to spent money on them.
So I don't understand why you are saying the system wouldn't work if only Class A managed to get money.
The reason why Class D is hell is because it's unlikely that they'll get their shit together in the first place.
The system is designed so the Class D's fail, probably constantly. They're not going to get their shit together, they're not going to get paid again by the school. But other students can pay them. And those students have to have points to pay.

And that's where the problem is, if all the First Years have no money. That there might not be capital to spread around. Class D is going to go through that "real hell" that the upper classmen hinted at. The upper classmen aren't going to care. They have their own Class D's that are likely to be cheaper to spend money on entertaining them, or doing their laundry, or acting as their gophers, or acting as a secretary, or any number of other things. They've probably already given up after a year of this.

Class D will serve because they want to eat. They want better than budget items. But they can't get their classes to succeed to the point that they get paid. They're the poor students, the misbehaving, the social outcasts. They're set up to fail, to give those that succeed someone to use.

Well, I don't really have that mindset. At the same time however, this school has a 100% success rate, which suggest that the system works for everyone, even for the failures in class D.
It doesn't say they all get into college. It says they get them into college...or find them a job. It also doesn't say it's a good one. They just don't end up as NEETs.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Btw, stealing this from another forum:

Their current balances show up in the cast credits.

Someone translated part of the current balance of the students (shown during the ending probably)

Ayanokouji, Kiyotaka(MC) 82235
Horikita, Suzune(main heroine) 91887
Kushida, Kikyou(oppai girl) 54705
Sudou, Ken 3115
Ike, Kanji 42
Yamauchi, Haruki 28
Hirata, Yousuke(class leader) 21170
Kouenji, Rokusuke 6284
Karuizawa, Kei 2389
Satou, Maya 6850

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Seriously, read the episode title for this episode, and the next shown in the preview, and notice that the OP has a ton of philosophical quotes in it. I'm really surprised you somehow think there will be any goodwill at this school.

You're not answering the question. Why would they help Class 1-A through 1-C, even IF they found themselves in the same predicament as 1-D of having no money in May? They won't. Upperclassmen don't care about being an example of success. Class D is the example of what happens when you fail, and is the deterrent. You fail and go hungry, or you don't, or you take advantage of those who are hungry.

I'm not saying there is any goodwill, I'm also not saying they will "help".
I'm saying that they exist, which is enough for the failures to see how it's done or rather that it's possible to live the good live.

Which is why after 1 month, class A to C are probably able to earn enough, because they aren't psychopaths (because all/most of them are in class D)

Class D will serve because they want to eat. They want better than budget items. But they can't get their classes to succeed to the point that they get paid. They're the poor students, the misbehaving, the social outcasts. They're set up to fail, to give those that succeed someone to use.

Which is exactly what I'm saying, the system isn't any different for them (the reward system), it's just that they are failures and unlikely to succeed.

Just because Class A - C have money doesn't mean D will get any from them btw. Yeah you can humiliate them for a little for a few bucks, but after a while, even the most sadistic individual will lose interest. Even if/or especially when they start selling their bodies to multiple people (which I assume will never happen because this is goverment controlled, but that would be interesting).

edit: Interesting bit about the credits, there is someone else with 68k - probably that "know it all" smiling guy?
There are also some others that show up after the first ~15 people or so after a small gap.

one says 一之瀬 帆波 which I google kanji-ed from Ichinose the only name we (I?) know from Class B.
She is listed and it says "secret".
Which could mean the one after her is also from class B with 15k

I'm also interested in Kei Karuizawa, which is listed as a main character on myanimelist and looks like the type of girl who'd do certain things for money. (my heavy investment in doujinshi research of a certain kind tells me that)

Munsu
Sun, 07-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Just watched the first episode and thought it was quite good.

I'll also say, there's A LOT of jumping into conclusions here... man what an elaborate way to theorize everything. Not saying you guys may be wrong or not, but wow...

Munsu
Sat, 07-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Episode 2 came out a few days ago.

I thought it was a step down overall from the first episode, though we get a bit more insight on how the point system works and what not and of course learn a bit more about our main characters.

The title of the episode fooled me though, I was certain it was going to refer to the big titted chick, seemed it wasn't the case this time around. But I still think she's hiding something and has ulterior motives.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-23-2017, 05:52 PM
I liked episode 2 except for the part where they used ninjutsu

Shadow Skill
Wed, 07-26-2017, 12:51 PM
Episode 3 was pretty good I think. I never expected the Yandere moment. This just might be my favorite anime this season.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-27-2017, 03:56 AM
The important part is Ayanokouji asking to himself, which Kushida is the real one, because it goes both ways, and is the real beauty of that scene.

1) Kushida asks him if he likes girls like Horikita (i.e. manipulative, secretive, driven, cold)
2) She leaves the phone there. It wasn't forgotten.
3) She walks far away, striking his curiosity. Then gives him all the major points that she sees in Horikita.

So, Ayanokouji correctly asks himself, Which of the two Kushida's is the act? Is her perky face the act, or is her bitchy face the act just for him so she can steal his attentions from Horikita? Is her real personality somewhere in the middle?

She's manipulative for sure, she has absolutely been using her body to assist in getting what she or what others want. Ayanokouji recognized that, and she clearly appreciates it, though I'm guessing she doesn't like being left in the dark. He's clearly been hatching plans with Horikita that don't include her in an aware role, and she doesn't like it. She had the third highest points in the class, probably because she was getting others to buy her things, or even from other classes. Now she has the most.

MFauli
Thu, 07-27-2017, 06:22 AM
Tbh since Ayanokouji clearly likes her, I would have thrown her "act" off by asking evil Kushida "Do you want to go on a date with me?". Might have irritated her enough to drop any pretense.

Ryllharu
Thu, 07-27-2017, 02:34 PM
I think if anyone, he likes Horikita. She's pretending to be stronger than she is, what ninja doesn't appreciate that? Horikita is out of her depth because she doesn't recognize her obvious weaknesses, but pretends she doesn't have them. She knows the rules in advance, and deliberately lowered her grade to make English easier to pass for the class. Ayanokouji sees the advantage she represents. Sure, Horikita is a pretty standard kuudere, but she's not dumb either. I'm guessing from the teacher's reaction that her judgement is correct. Classes with expulsions get docked for Class Points too.

I got the impression that Kushida unnerved him from the start. He saw what she was doing on the bus. Making herself look selfless. He knew she was up to something even then. So did the arrogant blonde guy (who is ranked 3rd in the tests).

My guess is that Kushida considers the people who go along with her cutesy friendly bullshit to be pawns, the people who don't to be potential strategic allies (which is why she keeps going after Horikita and Ayanokouji), and the people who rebuff her even further to be actual confidants.

It's highly possible she's trying another strategy with Ayanokouji by going "bitch-mode" to see if she can still dump him in the pawn pile for falling for a different act.

Munsu
Fri, 07-28-2017, 05:24 AM
Two things, I thought Horikita's "What did you do?" seeming accusation towards Ayanokouji at the beginning of the episode was misplaced considering how the episode developed.

The other, if not mistaken I think I saw Ayanokouji with at least ONE very bad grade... Chemistry maybe? I'll have to check. Everything we've been led to believe so far is that he's very apt at getting specific grades, so I wonder if he did the same as Horikita to help with the grade curve on certain subjects.

I'll have to recheck though.

KrayZ33
Fri, 07-28-2017, 04:09 PM
He can probably have whatever grade he wants.
He's Shiba Tatsuya

Shadow Skill
Fri, 07-28-2017, 04:15 PM
Two things, I thought Horikita's "What did you do?" seeming accusation towards Ayanokouji at the beginning of the episode was misplaced considering how the episode developed.

The other, if not mistaken I think I saw Ayanokouji with at least ONE very bad grade... Chemistry maybe? I'll have to check. Everything we've been led to believe so far is that he's very apt at getting specific grades, so I wonder if he did the same as Horikita to help with the grade curve on certain subjects.

I'll have to recheck though.

I think the worst he's gotten is 50. In the second episode Horikita and her brother find it suspicious he can get exactly 50.

I also think those introductions of a "It takes a very talented and skillful person to hide ones own talent and skill" or something like that. I suspect that is directed towards Ayanokoji. That might be insight in to his intellect and persona. Like a rainman of sorts minus the whole anti-social screaming thing. Geniuses like Nikola Tesla and Sir Isaac Newton I believe were Anti-socials and I think they believe geniuses are anti-social or have trouble interacting with normal people.

Now that he knows Horikita wants to reach Class 1-A, he may let out more of his genius on the levels of Tesla.

MFauli
Fri, 07-28-2017, 06:08 PM
Is Ayanokouji really hiding his skills when he´s intentionally getting 50s accross the board? Someone who wanted to hide would vary his scores more, a 49 here, a 52 there, and so on.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 07-28-2017, 07:46 PM
Is Ayanokouji really hiding his skills when he´s intentionally getting 50s accross the board? Someone who wanted to hide would vary his scores more, a 49 here, a 52 there, and so on.

I guess theory is the wrong term. I meant a working Hypothesis based on the information at hand. By saying theory it would mean my comments are based on actual facts and events.

-Edit-

If he is intentionally getting 50s, it could be to keep the average class room score down so all can pass. The higher the average score, the higher the base score for a failing grade. Last episode was 40 points. If every scores high, the average base score for failing will raise as well. If everyone gets 100, then you need to be over 50. So no matter what happens. Ayanokoji is just at the passing mark anyway. That could for now until other students bring their scores up. This is year 1 and they have 3 years. I imagine the subjects will become that more difficult by the end.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-29-2017, 05:01 AM

a 50 guarantees not failing no matter how many points the class gets

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-29-2017, 06:30 AM
But he has to balance it, because a portion of Class Points are obviously awarded through score averages. He can do as low as 50, but if the class is up to it, he'd be dragging them down and reducing their Class Points.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-29-2017, 09:48 AM
He was doing all 50s so his hidden talons can be discovered in episode 2. I'm pretty sure that's all it is.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 08-03-2017, 03:59 AM
Boring episode this week. Not even sure what the 20 minute setup for next week is all for, they could have done it one episode.

Munsu
Thu, 08-03-2017, 10:56 AM
Agreed, episode 4 was extremely boring... worst episode by far at the moment.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-03-2017, 12:41 PM
Pointless episode.

KrayZ33
Thu, 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM
I don't think it was any worse or better than the ones before.

*shrugs*

I don't understand why MC has been shown to own 83k points during ep4 though.
He's called Ayanokoji, right? Ending screen Ep3 said he had only 10k left and Horikita (which is blackhaired MC girl?) has 38k left.

Ending screen EP4 says he has only 8k left

wtf is this?

Shadow Skill
Thu, 08-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I don't think it was any worse or better than the ones before.

*shrugs*

I don't understand why MC has been shown to own 83k points during ep4 though.
He's called Ayanokoji, right? Ending screen Ep3 said he had only 10k left and Horikita (which is blackhaired MC girl?) has 38k left.

Ending screen EP4 says he has only 8k left

wtf is this?

I think the end of episode 3 is different and possibly a future scene. I think he had 86K or some points at the start of episode 3 when he purchased the point from the teacher for 10K, but then Horikita bought the point instead.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-03-2017, 09:07 PM
What ending scenes are you guys talking about?

Shadow Skill
Thu, 08-03-2017, 10:42 PM
What ending scenes are you guys talking about?

The credits, beside their names has their points/value.

KrayZ33
Fri, 08-04-2017, 04:41 PM
I think the end of episode 3 is different and possibly a future scene. I think he had 86K or some points at the start of episode 3 when he purchased the point from the teacher for 10K, but then Horikita bought the point instead.

But it has otherwise updated points for everyone else

Shadow Skill
Fri, 08-04-2017, 05:25 PM
But it has otherwise updated points for everyone else

Yes except that Horikita and Ayanokoji are the only two who saved their points. From the tests and everything. They in their 3rd month I think. The first month was 100,000 points. 2nd month nothing. Now this 3rd month has them dealing with Sudo who is an idiot and why Class C keeps picking fights with Sudo is beyond me. Why the only witness keeps running away at an Elite school also makes zero sense. All to keep them at zero points.

I do know that Ayanokoji does not have 8K points. They show his points pretty steady through out the episodes. Just wondering if maybe you misread the scene Kray?

- Edit -

Also forgot to mention that once the investigation is over, who ever lied or is at fault will lose their class score/points. I suspect this might be how class D reaches Class C and Class C goes to class D. That part is intriguing to me. The end credits show both classes as undetermined I think it was.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-05-2017, 04:43 AM
I do know that Ayanokoji does not have 8K points. They show his points pretty steady through out the episodes. Just wondering if maybe you misread the scene Kray?

Nope,

EP3 @ 22:33 - 10561
EP4 @ 07:12 - 82235
EP4 @ 22:33 - 8320

After EP3, I thought he spent most of his money to get test answers etc.

Munsu
Sat, 08-05-2017, 06:01 AM
Nope,

EP3 @ 22:33 - 10561
EP4 @ 07:12 - 82235
EP4 @ 22:33 - 8320

After EP3, I thought he spent most of his money to get test answers etc.

I'm quite positive the 7:12 amount is wrong, an animation mistake. He's lost a shit ton of money recently getting the test and helping the other dude to not get expelled.

Munsu
Thu, 08-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Episode 5 is out...

Still very much hate that we're in this mini-arc for some reason, and it'll be extended into next episode. That said, this episode was better than the last one by a lot, but not near what was promised when this series began. Hope we'll see better in the coming episodes, though not holding my breath on the next episode in particular.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 08-10-2017, 11:16 PM
Starting to feel like torture watching this anime. This is a school for the Elite, not "OMG we started a fight and lost and are now crying" wth... I had high hopes for this show. Is this gonna go down a MOE path?

MFauli
Fri, 08-11-2017, 03:17 AM
Episode 5 is out...

Still very much hate that we're in this mini-arc for some reason

That´s exactly my big problem right now ... WHY are we in this, as you call it, mini-arc? I want to follow Ayanokouji as he continues to figure out the school´s system and mystery´s and helps his class to progress.

Sure, they might throw in a twist at the end of this mini-arc that leads to the above, but so far there´s nothing but a filler-ish sidestory.

neflight86
Sun, 08-13-2017, 10:30 AM
I've settled into what I feel is the "rhythm" of this show and have accepted its weight. For example, the ideas of "prostitution for points" and other extreme possibilities have been generally unexplored in favor of a more mundane political game of sorts. This is also due to the safeguards built into the system like free vegetarian food and so on. Once I accepted that, I found this to be more acceptable to watch instead of being too let down by the lofty premise established in the first episode. Main character remains the best aspect of the show, and I suppose I owe it to the proliferation of tired anime cliches that them being quickly broken is so satisfying to me.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 08-16-2017, 01:17 PM
Enjoyable episode. A few more paths have opened up story wise. I hope they all get resolved. I hope this show is popular in Japan.

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-16-2017, 04:49 PM
I like that Class D and Class C have joined as allies for mutual benefit, which will ultimately pit them against Classes A and B. Ichinose is smart, and probably the leader of their class the same way Ayanokouji, Kushida, and Horikita are for Class D.

Their teacher also called out Horikita for not getting what her problem is, without actually saying it. She doesn't make friends or allies because she thinks she doesn't need them to succeed and work around her own weaknesses. Ayanokouji does. That's why he recruited Ichinose for mutual benefit. That's why he keeps Kushida as an active participant. He's even misleading others into thinking Horikita has their interests in mind.

Ayanokouji's problem is he has no pride, that's why he hides his full capabilities. Ninja style.

MFauli
Wed, 08-16-2017, 06:36 PM
What a shit episode.

The clichee as fuck one-dimensional stalker was bad enough. Only existing to force an also terribly clichee rape-attempt scene.

Shizuku is dumb as fuck. "Oh, I´m being followed. Better leave that lively area and go into a more quiet, darker place." :|

What´s the deal with that ridiculous negroe hitman? (It´s not my intention to be racist, quite the opposite: This guy´s depiction is racist as fuck)

And last but not least: So now Ayanokouji is the result of some secret experiment on kids? Uhuh. Should I expect Albert Wesker in the upcoming episodes?

Munsu
Wed, 08-16-2017, 10:11 PM
I like that Class D and Class C have joined as allies for mutual benefit, which will ultimately pit them against Classes A and B. Ichinose is smart, and probably the leader of their class the same way Ayanokouji, Kushida, and Horikita are for Class D.

Their teacher also called out Horikita for not getting what her problem is, without actually saying it. She doesn't make friends or allies because she thinks she doesn't need them to succeed and work around her own weaknesses. Ayanokouji does. That's why he recruited Ichinose for mutual benefit. That's why he keeps Kushida as an active participant. He's even misleading others into thinking Horikita has their interests in mind.

Ayanokouji's problem is he has no pride, that's why he hides his full capabilities. Ninja style.

Wait, when did Class D and Class C join as allies?

Seems more like Class D is getting help from Class B if anything via Ichinose and others that are friendly with her.

Ryllharu
Thu, 08-17-2017, 03:57 PM
Maybe I forgot what class she's in!

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-19-2017, 03:57 AM
Other than the stalker scene, this ep was great.

Munsu
Sat, 08-26-2017, 06:19 PM
Episode 7...

Yikes, what a shit episode. Not sure what happened to this series at all. Hope it gets back on track, and by that I mean back to the first couple of episodes.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-26-2017, 07:18 PM
Yikes, what a shit episode. Not sure what happened to this series at all.

That's what I thought about this episode by the halfway point, but in the second half, it started to rebuild itself. This was an episode about forcing Horikita to engage with the rest of her classmates. Her primary weakness is isolating herself. Reiterated by her brother as well as her classmates. So, she was informed about an issue that might harm her class. She dealt with it, but also was forced to spend some time with her classmates and start developing her own Class D clique.

She's making progress. She's also not clueless to the fact that Kushida secretly hates her. This episode might have been fanservice, but it builds on the important core concepts.

Munsu
Sat, 08-26-2017, 07:24 PM
That's what I thought about this episode by the halfway point, but in the second half, it started to rebuild itself. This was an episode about forcing Horikita to engage with the rest of her classmates. Her primary weakness is isolating herself. Reiterated by her brother as well as her classmates. So, she was informed about an issue that might harm her class. She dealt with it, but also was forced to spend some time with her classmates and start developing her own Class D clique.

She's making progress. She's also not clueless to the fact that Kushida secretly hates her. This episode might have been fanservice, but it builds on the important core concepts.

I got all that, I just don't think that they needed a convoluted stupid peeping scheme (particularly in this Elite school) to get that point across.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-27-2017, 05:15 AM
Rather than this peeping stealth operation nonsense, I'd have perfered more fanservice.

That EP was horrible even by that standard.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 08-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Rather than this peeping stealth operation nonsense, I'd have perfered more fanservice.

That EP was horrible even by that standard.

Agreed, was not that great of an episode. I see they used it to set the stage for the Class C goons.

Munsu
Wed, 08-30-2017, 07:54 PM
Episode 8 is out...

Won't really complain much on this episode, but it just felt like another waste. Nothing new other than a scene or two of significance. This feels like it should've occurred in episode 7.

Pacing issues aside, we're going into a clear Lord of the Flies situation now, which can be interesting to see, but a bit cautious. We'll see.

MFauli
Thu, 08-31-2017, 06:29 AM
I have no idea what this anime even is about anymore at this point. If this was a 50+ episodes anime, I could somewhat rationalize all these non-sensical filler-ish episodes. But this is 12 episodes, right? :/

Shadow Skill
Thu, 08-31-2017, 10:23 AM
I see the teacher is not above black mailing to get what she wants. Why she wants to be Class A is beyond me. She seems to believe Ayanokoji can take her there. So there's that part of her I am looking at. I would say the next episode is more of a scripted survivor than Lord of the flies. Unless some fat kid gets a boulder dropped on his head.

They could have clearly done this in episode 7 or most of it. I suspect this might be 24 episodes now based on the pacing. I don't know it's popularity in Japan but it might be pretty high.

David75
Thu, 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
I don't know it's popularity in Japan but it might be pretty high.
Low fanservice levels
No loli
Low fetishism
No sex jokes
You have to understand what characters are saying
No loli
No idol
No loli

-> popularity must not be that high...

Shadow Skill
Thu, 08-31-2017, 04:40 PM
Low fanservice levels
No loli
Low fetishism
No sex jokes
You have to understand what characters are saying
No loli
No idol
No loli

-> popularity must not be that high...

Well... when you put it in that perspective... LOL!

Munsu
Thu, 08-31-2017, 05:48 PM
I see the teacher is not above black mailing to get what she wants. Why she wants to be Class A is beyond me. She seems to believe Ayanokoji can take her there. So there's that part of her I am looking at. I would say the next episode is more of a scripted survivor than Lord of the flies. Unless some fat kid gets a boulder dropped on his head.

They could have clearly done this in episode 7 or most of it. I suspect this might be 24 episodes now based on the pacing. I don't know it's popularity in Japan but it might be pretty high.

Well, there was the Class B teacher as well conspiring on "who to have an eye on", so there seems to be something at play among the teachers as well. That said, not sure if the actions by them so far sustain this theory... wait and see I guess.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 09-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Well, there was the Class B teacher as well conspiring on "who to have an eye on", so there seems to be something at play among the teachers as well. That said, not sure if the actions by them so far sustain this theory... wait and see I guess.

Agreed! I completely forgot about that massage scene lol.

neflight86
Fri, 09-01-2017, 12:41 PM
I like that MC recognized that he's simply surrendering his freedom to keep from having his freedom taken away which is the same thing. I also enjoy that he doesn't dwell on the unfairness of the situation. He reminds me of the guy from Grisaia, without the sister issues.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 09-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Starting to feel like they are milking this series or something.

MFauli
Thu, 09-14-2017, 12:31 PM
This is 12 episodes, right?

What is this even about ...

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-14-2017, 03:06 PM
Proving that strategy and group success is superior to perseverance and skill at the individual level.

Yeah, 90% of this episode was a complete and disappointing waste. But Class C's strategy of just blowing all the points right away having fun, but leaving spies everywhere shows that they're not the fools the series wants them to come off as.

It is a valid strategy. Probably the best one. Refuse to fall into the trap of the administration, have a vacation trip, and just accept the results. Class D is far enough behind that the gap they have doesn't threaten Class C. Class C has 492 class points, Class D has just 87. The maximum you can get from this test is 200+150+camp points, assuming that you spent zero points and correctly guess all three other class leaders.

No matter what, Class D won't be able to catch them. Or they might by some miracle ass-pull...which could happen. But the likelihood is super low.

But Class C has ensured they can recoup their losses. They left behind spies in both Class D and Class B, not sure about A, but I bet they're trying.

Loyalists faking being outcasts, or actual outcasts like the girl with Class D, doesn't matter. She wants to gain points because that's the type of person she is, so even if she hates the rest of the class, she'll try to guess their leader. Furthermore, she's their leader, so technically, Class C hasn't even surrendered, just individuals dropped out. The guy with Class B is almost certainly a loyalist spy.

So, most of the class has fun and enjoys luxury. Their moles still on the island can claim the camps on the last day to earn back points, (and right from under the nose of Class D), as well as identify the other classes' leaders as their guard's drop.

It's pretty brilliant. I hope the author actually thought of this, and I'm not just making up something that is better.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 09-14-2017, 07:59 PM
This is 12 episodes, right?

Not sure anymore. I thought ANN had it listed as 12 but now there are no episode numbers listed. This series might be going past 12 episodes. No way they can clear up the mess they created the past 3 episodes in the next 2 episodes.

I do not know how popular this show is in Japan and if it is popular it may go well past 12 and even 24 episodes. I suspect it is 24 episodes now.

I like the show and the premise and story and a few of the characters but they are taking their damn time to explain anything and prod the story a long.

MFauli
Fri, 09-15-2017, 05:46 AM
@Ryll: That's all fine and all, but ... why are we on a frigging island?! The first 2 episodes of this anime are "there´s this elite school, you gotta collect points to rise in rank, and it´s exciting because the rules are unknown and corrupt". That´s a fine concept.

But now we´re stuck with stalkers, peeping guys, a lord of the flies-island, and a panty thief. WAT

@shadow: Ugh, I hope it's 12 episodes and end.

neflight86
Thu, 09-21-2017, 11:55 PM
Episode 11

I feel like this is the single most content heavy episode this show has had since the first episode's exposition dump, in a good way. I didn't even expect a fight, but I'm not complaining, either. I am afraid, though, that the 'twist' or trap laid during this trip won't live up to expectations (of complexity) set by all of the happenings so far, but I can certainly hope.

Shadow Skill
Fri, 09-22-2017, 03:22 AM
These single buildups are getting irritating for me. They wasted the entire episode on nothing. Now Horikita is sick? Really? They could have played this from the beginning and not wait for the last few episodes. I think Ibuki stole the card for Ayanokoji. I think she has a crush on him now. Or it could be very good acting.

Either way this episode felt wasted in many areas and chose not to progress. I suspect the panty thief is a girl whom planted the panties. Probably better to wait till next week as I think now they're going to take multiple episodes to clear up the bullshit they started in the last 4 episodes. When they could have dealt with each one or even a couple in each episode rather than drop everything halfway and continue on in future episodes. Laziness from the company? Makes no sense to me to progress in this manner.

MFauli
Fri, 09-22-2017, 06:16 AM
pantsu pantsu pantsu

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-22-2017, 06:19 PM
Judging from this shows lack of twists so far and everything based on the next episode title, it was Ayanokouji that seduced spy girl to steal the card from Horikita. He did this all to win the most points for his class. After all, he is still being blackmailed by teacher bitch.

MFauli
Fri, 09-22-2017, 07:05 PM
It turns out Ayanokouji is the school's director, having gone undercover disguised as student.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 09-23-2017, 06:30 AM
I just hope come Wednesday they clear a lot of this up instead of leaving everything hanging like they have been.

KrayZ33
Fri, 09-29-2017, 06:07 PM
Well... not gonna lie, that very end was interesting.
I'd watch a second season simply because of what MC said at the end.

Not interested enough in reading it though.

Shadow Skill
Sat, 09-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Well... not gonna lie, that very end was interesting.
I'd watch a second season simply because of what MC said at the end.

Not interested enough in reading it though.

Agreed! I am now hoping for a season 2. Since it was 12 episodes I am not sure now. For episodes 4 to 9, was nothing but unanswered setups that are now left hanging. Anime that do that irritate the hell out of me when they leave topics unresolved. I take that as super laziness from the company animating the story. I hope it did well enough in Japan so a second season clear all of that gibberish up.

Munsu
Sat, 09-30-2017, 08:16 AM
I'm hoping for more myself. Series is too up and down, with the down being waaaay down, but it has interesting aspects to it, and I love the main character.

Final lines of the finale were great, hope we get more in the future. I'm doubtful on it, but we'll see.

neflight86
Sat, 09-30-2017, 01:19 PM
Ayanokoji is defective in an interesting way, not an edge-lord-y one. Bring on season 2, please.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 07-17-2022, 08:12 PM
Anyone else liking season 2 thus far? 2 episodes in and seems boring compared to the first season. I understand they're correcting the first season during this second season. Feels slow IMO.

neflight86
Sun, 07-17-2022, 09:30 PM
This isn't far off course from the first season, to me. Lots of talking heads and thinly veiled threats as the games play out so we can have a 'trick' reveal at the end when it turns out class D made out like bandits. There will likely be a few fake out tricks that misdirect us in the meantime, but I expect the crux of the turnaround to be some off-hand rule applied in a 'clever' way.

Slow? Yes. Slower than the first season? Not for me so far.

KrayZ33
Mon, 07-18-2022, 09:45 AM
I enjoyed the first episode much more than the second and I'm currently watching the third.
But it's pretty much the same, or rather, how I remembered it.
What I don't get in general is how hyped this show is (relatively).
The first season didn't seem like something groundbreaking to me. The guessing and quizzing is pretty fun though.
But I sure as hell did forget about most characters. I know that the big booba girl is a bitch and I do know that this has already been established, so the pseudo "ah nvm tehee I'm so shy"-moment in episode 2 felt a bit weird, because MC knows how messed up she is.

edit: I just realized that half the girls are booba-girls. I meant the short haired one in the same class.

Shadow Skill
Mon, 07-18-2022, 05:44 PM
This isn't far off course from the first season, to me. Lots of talking heads and thinly veiled threats as the games play out so we can have a 'trick' reveal at the end when it turns out class D made out like bandits. There will likely be a few fake out tricks that misdirect us in the meantime, but I expect the crux of the turnaround to be some off-hand rule applied in a 'clever' way.

Slow? Yes. Slower than the first season? Not for me so far.

I can understand your POV.

This third episode felt better pacing, I enjoyed this episode. :)

@KrayZ33 I agree I find the quizzes and testing to be very fun and entertaining.

neflight86
Tue, 07-19-2022, 10:35 AM
The story elements of episode three were more interesting for sure, including the bullying. They had me when B-class girl called Ayanokoji's phone to expose the lie. Even the fleeting feeling of 'oh no' was sufficient to make the scene exciting, despite it winding up as another off-screen trap. The biggest surprise to me was that class C didn't get beat out somehow and everything went according to their plan? I didn't really follow the explanation, if there was one, so I hope we get another exposition dump about what happened next episode.

What I don't get in general is how hyped this show is (relatively).

edit: I just realized that half the girls are booba-girls. I meant the short haired one in the same class.

Mystery solved. I re-watched s1 with a friend before this season started, and was embarrassed twofold at both the amount of chest and butt shots in this show, and that I about forgot them in only a few years.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-19-2022, 01:07 PM
The biggest surprise to me was that class C didn't get beat out somehow and everything went according to their plan? I didn't really follow the explanation, if there was one, so I hope we get another exposition dump about what happened next episode.

The explanation was given and is straightforward. C leader just discovered all VIPs by collecting all the phones from everyone. As for the group Horikita was in, he found out who the VIP was by reading Horikita's expressions. With knowledge of who the VIPs are, he can easily make sure C wins the game.

It's interesting that B-Blonde already knows it isn't Horikita but Ayanokouji himself who is the brains behind Class D. She seems way more competent that people give her credit for.

neflight86
Tue, 07-19-2022, 01:51 PM
Thanks. I forgot that he collected the phones. I'm surprised that such a simple plan went off without a hitch. I guess it's supposed to reinforce how absolute his power is within that class.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-19-2022, 02:47 PM
She seems way more competent that people give her credit for.
Because she portrays herself as a soft-hearted, "let's all get along," character just like Kushida in Class D, but unlike Kushida who is perpetually a selfish bitch, Ichinose has a very specific goal and understands that she can be even more successful if she works with others from time to time. She seems to hate Class A as much as Class D hates all the others.

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-25-2022, 03:11 PM
S2 Eps 4

------------

This season has been a bit boring and more impenetrable than the previous. The VIP arc was really boring, and at no point where there any clues for the audience to figure it out. By the time we learned that Karuizawa was one of the VIPs, we'd long forgotten any names of the other students in their group. If they actually gave us all of them (I legit don't remember). We never knew anyone else in Kushida's group either. Of course Kushida was the traitor. It's just some dreadful asspull of a test.

So far, this arc is a little bit better, because we already see Ayanokouji utilizing Karuizawa, his intent to educate and improve Horikita, and also hopefully punish Kushida for actively undermining Class D for personal gain.

neflight86
Tue, 07-26-2022, 09:13 AM
Punishing Kushida is the most interesting possibility by far. I've been wondering when they would circle back around to her 'damage' and pull her into the harem... er, fold.

For how capable she supposedly is, Horikita is surprisingly socially retarded. Ayanokouji has his work cut our for him to herd these cats into class A.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-26-2022, 09:57 AM
Horikita is a typical book-smart character. It just so happens she is also athletic, but she has 0 social acuity and terrible EQ.

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-26-2022, 10:13 AM
I had serious trouble with the names and who was what and who is who.
When they talked about characters off-screen I was hardly able to put a face to most of the names...

Not sure if I'm at fault or if the anime could've helped out with a flashback (just a face) or something.

teaching Horikita common courtesy was really weird too, almost childish.
"See what happens if *you* can't keep up? Durr"
To some degree I could understand since her character is like that... but that was... overdone and something you'd teach a 4 year old or something. "Stop pushing the other child, or see what happens if someone pushes you and how that feels"

And the the test in episode 1-3 wasn't that entertaining either.
The only possible candidate was the Karuizawa and that's because there was basically no interaction with anyone else but her and basically nothing has been shown other than her odd behaviour and the odd way of questioning she did when she asked if MC is the VIP.
So the first guess the viewer could do was her... and then no one else came up and it so happens that she ended up being it.

Just imagine reading a book about a murder and there are 10 possible culprits... but the whole book is basically about that 1 and you never get to hear anything about the other 9.... who would you think did it.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-26-2022, 11:09 AM
Ayanokouji himself was the red herring in the previous arc.

Horikita seems like she has very little experience with people superior than her, so she probably, like a child, did not understand how it felt like to be the weaker person in a group. Ayanokouji basically showed her her place.

Why is Ayanokouji's grip strength so strong, though? For what purpose would he train it while intentionally keeping himself slim?

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-26-2022, 12:38 PM
Ayanokouji himself was the red herring in the previous arc.

In the arc before the VIP test or during the VIP test?
Because Ayanokouji was basically out as soon as the VIP test started. At least for the viewer until any evidence whatsoever shows up that he could've faked something, which never happened.

edit: and even if he could, it wouldn't have made sense.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-26-2022, 02:08 PM
Why is Ayanokouji's grip strength so strong, though? For what purpose would he train it while intentionally keeping himself slim?
Because he's an elite among elites. They haven't really touched on it since visual hints in the previous season, but he doesn't have a normal upbringing. Their homeroom teacher knows it too, by the way she treats him. I wouldn't say he's superhuman, but it comes off like he knows exactly what muscles to maximize a specific physical action, has the level of control that someone who can twitch their specific muscles can do, and probably can willfully break past the point where normal people subconsciously know not to hurt themselves (punch too hard, mothers lifting cars off their children, etc.).

It's interesting that he has no frame of reference.

The red-head guy might have intentionally tricked Ayanokouji (I honestly wouldn't put it past him, considering some of the other Class D members who hide their particularly skills), but to date the series has played him off as a musclehead idiot.

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-01-2022, 11:58 AM
Episode 5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

gotta say I'm only really interested in MCs schemes...
Female MC "not wanting to cause trouble for her brother" is so absurd in this case, I had trouble getting behind such a childish set-up and it's only possible due to that weird condition she set upon herself.

And yikes...
at the end, right before the music started playing, if you go by sound, she turned around and starting limping forward, yet the animation didn't even show her doing anything... just her face staring towards the direction of her brother.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM
This series is really starting to lose me, and surprisingly fast.

Kushida working for Ryuen to support Class C's schemes is infuriating, but I guess that's what she's there to do, be a self-serving antagonist of the worst variety.

Horikita is unlikeable, useless, and incredibly stupid. I get that Ayanokouji is trying to actually wise her up as payback for using her as his first pawn, but I struggle to understand why she never learns anything. I guess it makes sense after all why she's in Class D. She truly is a reject. It's annoying she gets so much focus compared to the other, more interesting girls in the class (and that includes Kushida).

I can sort of see what Ayanokouji wants to do by making Class D fail incredibly badly here, since in general they are still a very disjointed class and unifying them by fear (as Class C does) or by pride (as Class A does) isn't going to work on their collection of fuckups, fodder, and misfits. But Horikita just fucked that up too, by falling for Ryuen's shit again. She had also deduced that Kushida is the traitor with the same evidence Ayanokouji did, so why would she trust her at all? She could have easily excused herself to go find the hothead guy like she was supposed to.

neflight86
Mon, 08-01-2022, 04:59 PM
It's still plenty interesting to me, if slow. I expect the 'twist' this time is that Ayanokoji is the person who leaked the class participation roster, but is not the specific 'traitor'. He wants to corner that traitor and have them remain a traitor to feed Class C pivotally bad intel down the line.

Horikita is coming off as far less capable than her haughty attitude lets on as we see more of her and her brother complex. Sudo is the biggest embarrassment for me. Watching his tantrums is selling me on information I've known for a dozen episodes (he falls for provocation every time). He needs less screen time.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-08-2022, 01:53 PM
Eps 6

-----

I expected more from this series than this. Dropped.

Kushida's reason for being a villain is literally just that she's a two-faced bitch and doesn't want anyone to find out? As if the entire school population and staff isn't exactly the same?

And the whole scheme of the sports festival boils down to secretly recording something like a kdrama or a shoujo series?

What a waste of time this has been.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2022, 10:23 AM
I agree that Kushida's reason is stupid, unless there is more to it than she has let on, like a personal vendetta against Horikita that Horikita simply doesn't remember.

I am okay with the audio recording conclusion because when both Horikita and C-prez employed it, both were juvenile attempts that failed against Ayanokouji's plan. What defeated the two's audio recording ideas wasn't just another audio recording, but the revelation that there is a traitor in Class C. That's what the big reveal was, not the fact that Ayanokouji also had an audio recording to use for blackmail.

KrayZ33
Tue, 08-09-2022, 12:17 PM
As I mentioned earlier, a lot in this show is *really* childish. It can hardly be called "intrigue" which is what the setting would want you to believe.

This whole class points can buy you luxury n' stuff-thing is also completely under the rug.
Or did I just remember that wrong? There is no "minigame" about that at all anymore.
Wasn't this the show were it was implieded that some girls are basically selling their bodies to get coins or something? And you could use coins/points to your advantage and get even further ahead?

What happened to the economy? It feels like no one struggles at all anymore.
I don't even remember why it's "good" or important to be the best class.

And really? A recording is all she was able to come up with herself? It almost feels like her character is more generic and dumb than most. Or maybe it's just that she was "hyped" as somewhat competent but seems to be the most basic character of them all.
In fact, it almost feels like the blonde pony-tail girl MC "rescued" a few eps ago is instead the actual counterpart to him now, and not the bro-con anymore. Feels like her character got a promotion at the very least and it's not just a single fire n' forget thing so they could win the challenge at that time.
Might sound a bit weird, but at least MC seems to actually "train" her properly and interacts with her somewhat that isn't filled with what I would almost identify as disappointment.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2022, 01:03 PM
I think Horikita calling herself unexceptional and worthless is telling. She wasn't being humble. She really is that inept.

KrayZ33
Tue, 08-09-2022, 01:20 PM
Probably, in that case, it's rather unique.
Too bad she doesn't act accordingly and is basically a bitch about everything

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2022, 01:32 PM
Absolutely. She is like the worst type of class prez character I've encountered from memory.

I just watch this to see Ayanokouji own everyone while showing 0 emotion. He was about to school the student council president in the race, but the person in front of him fell and disrupted him. After all, he was still accelerating during the race, slowly unfettering himself from his self-imposed shackles.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-09-2022, 02:43 PM
What happened to the economy? It feels like no one struggles at all anymore.
I don't even remember why it's "good" or important to be the best class.

The classes are prorated points proportionally. It isn't just that Class D gets nothing from doing poorly on exams. They always get the least to start with since they're the lowest in Class Points too.

Class A students get enough personal points that they don't even need to think about how many they have and also guaranteed the best positions after graduation. For reference, Ichinose in Class B has a several million already in a few months, and she's saving almost all of them.

Class D isn't living off the free stuff anymore, but most of them are quite destitute, like a normal high school student without a job would be.

But yeah, it hardly actually came up since the first arc of last season.

KrayZ33
Wed, 08-10-2022, 07:57 AM
But yeah, it hardly actually came up since the first arc of last season.

A shame, it's just some random ass number now with no real meaning.
I'd have guessed it's part of the "game" to spend points to gain more points.
Or to live frugal to get ahead or to remain on equal footing if you messed up on some challenge.

After all, MC bought something to win the challenge on the ship.
What did it cost? Why the *fuck* does it not matter anymore. That's really grinding my gear right now.
Such a pointless system to introduce to your story if you ain't going to use it properly.
It downgrades the whole show several levels in my opinion and makes the author/director feel like he wouldn't be able to write a story with schemes and intrigue if his life depended on it.

The genre just doesn't work if you forget about shit like that all the time and it feels more like a silly highschool drama instead of a "fucked up experiment" disguised as a school.

neflight86
Wed, 08-10-2022, 09:59 AM
I expected more from this series than this. Dropped.

Kushida's reason for being a villain is literally just that she's a two-faced bitch and doesn't want anyone to find out? As if the entire school population and staff isn't exactly the same?

And the whole scheme of the sports festival boils down to secretly recording something like a kdrama or a shoujo series?

Can't say I disagree with you, but it is still plenty entertaining for me. Kushida's reveal is unconvincing, and I suspect she may will have some more development on her 'defect'. I liked that she set her sights on Ayanokoji as well, forcing him to eventually 'deal' with her. My greatest hope is that she actually is that simple a character and his mercilessly ejected from the story via expulsion or the like. It would be an unexpected disposal of a main girl character design that the audience wouldn't see coming, metatextually.

This has always been about subversion and sneaky plots, so I don't see the problem here. Sudo's got being baited into fist fights covered. The genius is supposed to be Ayanokouji forseeing all of this before the sports day ever started. For better of worse, this was left for the viewers to parse.

I agree that Kushida's reason is stupid, unless there is more to it than she has let on, like a personal vendetta against Horikita that Horikita simply doesn't remember.

That's what I'm getting, too.

As I mentioned earlier, a lot in this show is *really* childish. It can hardly be called "intrigue" which is what the setting would want you to believe.

This whole class points can buy you luxury n' stuff-thing is also completely under the rug.
Or did I just remember that wrong?

Well, they are still basically kids (~15 years old), so that checks out. The high school 'intrigue' has been pretty weak lately, but it was never particularly strong, though I admit the "my trap is sprung!" followed by the "no you!" was pretty bad.

In a way, the points have remained in the background as being incentive in most of the events. I don't think they could craft many more interesting scenarios out of the kids of class D navigating this 'point economy' in detail at this point. They already learned that lesson the hard way. I don't need to see them spinning their wheels in poverty; let it be a background detail. People are programmed to 'need' points, and they can be used to buy plot conveniences when MCs need it. Honestly, that's more satisfying than some of the contrivances these shows usually hit us with.

I think Horikita calling herself unexceptional and worthless is telling. She wasn't being humble. She really is that inept.

I liked that scene more than I expected to. I figured some awkward half hearted attempt of her trying to 'appeal' to Sudo (everyone knows he likes her) would give me my daily dose of cringe, but instead she continued to face his problems and problematic character face on without flinching. That she used the interaction to self reflect and admit her own shortcomings is good character growth for a kuudere like her. Also props to Sudo for finally putting the breaks on being an impulsive moron (I appreciated that he knows how he is and projects it from his lousy parents).

Absolutely. She is like the worst type of class prez character I've encountered from memory.

I just watch this to see Ayanokouji own everyone while showing 0 emotion.

I don't dislike her as much as at the beginning due to some of her observed vulnerability (though she has changed zero from when the show started), but agreed that Ayanokouji is the main draw here. Deadpan Gary Stu's are nothing new to anime, but my genuine hope is that he slowly reveals to the other classmates that he's using them, isn't really advancing the class for anyone but himself and becomes a proper anti-hero. Then the rest of his class has to decide if his ends justify his means (and motivations), which might reflect their personal character growth throughout he series... but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Such a pointless system to introduce to your story if you ain't going to use it properly.
It downgrades the whole show several levels in my opinion and makes the author/director feel like he wouldn't be able to write a story with schemes and intrigue if his life depended on it.

The genre just doesn't work if you forget about shit like that all the time and it feels more like a silly highschool drama instead of a "fucked up experiment" disguised as a school.

Anime has always struggled with even basic world building and consistency. Maybe its a cultural thing in that Japanese storytelling isn't typically detail oriented except when it comes to characters? Either way, I think it is definitely best to take this as a typical high school drama with a side of edge instead of some ambitious experiment or statement about society as presented in the title cards.

I'm surprised that class C boss isn't suspecting Ayanokouji by now. He knows someone is 'pulling Horikita's strings' but doesn't have an outward clue as to who? That's tough to swallow.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-10-2022, 11:04 AM
Apparently, the line that Ayanojouji said to Horikita that essentially said, "Use Sudo like I am using you," was not actually said out loud in the light novel. It was supposed to be an internal thought, and readers seem to agree that it is out of character for him to admit to something like that.

neflight86
Fri, 08-12-2022, 03:07 PM
Interesting note. Maybe this is the studio's way of showcasing Ayanokouji's social autism, or perhaps showing he respects her enough (now) to know she can take it, not be offended, and apply the message?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-12-2022, 03:57 PM
I think it's simply the studio finding it difficult to naturally insert a monologue in that conversation, so they just had him speak it out loud instead.

neflight86
Tue, 08-16-2022, 01:53 PM

The harem cometh... was this girl just put up to it by Kushida (it was said she weilds major influence on the girls of class D), or is this genuine squee?

Was there any prompting as to why the StuCo president changed, or is this just a random occurrence maybe to get him more into the story?

I'm still finding it hard to believe they Ryuuen is having trouble deciding between the emotionless sociopath and Yousuke as the class D underboss...

This next challenge is strange in that I'm not sure how it could be rigged by the traitor in any meaningful way? I guess we'll find out what twist occurred next episode.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-16-2022, 04:59 PM
Didn't the student council president just resign because he is a 3rd year? They usually retire that year to go look for employment, and the 2nd year students replace them.

Ryuuen is having trouble deciding because Ayanokouji is too obvious a choice. He thinks it is a trap or a cover. Also, the other suspect isn't Yosuke, but Yukimura, who tied with Horikita at 100 (the perfect score) in the mini-test this episode, so he is technically capable of being a mastermind.

neflight86
Tue, 08-16-2022, 09:18 PM
Ryuuen is having trouble deciding because Ayanokouji is too obvious a choice. He thinks it is a trap or a cover. Also, the other suspect isn't Yosuke, but Yukimura, who tied with Horikita at 100 (the perfect score) in the mini-test this episode, so he is technically capable of being a mastermind.

I forgot they were the two in who witnessed the bullying, and not Ayanokouji and the fake boyfriend. He hasn't had much screen time and I had to look the name up to remember who you were talking about!

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-16-2022, 09:53 PM
You are a great person. I appreciate you.

neflight86
Wed, 08-17-2022, 07:22 AM
Well... thank you! I think you're swell, too.

Didn't the student council president just resign because he is a 3rd year? They usually retire that year to go look for employment, and the 2nd year students replace them.

Just got to thinking, the classes are still divided by year, right? Horikita's brother's class A isn't the same one we have dealt with, correct? Because he is a year above? If so, it's too bad we haven't seen what second and third year class D survivors look like. Feels like some untapped potential looking at other years. And since they are about to advance, seeing a new class of freshmen would also be fun, if this show had the runtime for it.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-17-2022, 08:41 AM
I actually do not know if there is even a class D for 2nd and 3rd years. Maybe they all got weeded out.

neflight86
Tue, 08-23-2022, 01:45 PM

Kushida's motivations and tragic backstory are just as insipid as I had hoped they would be. She has a need for validation and and can't handle being unpopular, so she goes nuclear with weaponized gossip. Gag me with a spoon. Is there any salvaging that, as a potential 'heroine'? I like a good antagonist, and that is exactly the role Kushida's filling right now.

To be clear, this is just the revelation I was hoping for, and her ultimate showdown has been set in stone, so I'm quite looking forward to the hijinks undoubtedly coming.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-23-2022, 09:25 PM
I hope Ayanokouji orchestrates her getting sick or injured during the exam. Seems like a fitting comeuppance for someone who relies on social tactics to win. Popularity is a power, sure. But violence is its purest form.

neflight86
Wed, 08-24-2022, 09:33 AM
I imagine that will come after Kushida somehow messing with Horikita, because as we currently can surmise, this test will be a blowout for her unless Kushida has been hiding superior math skills since the beginning. I just hope that none of the three actually believe for a second this test/wager is about academic ability.

KrayZ33
Tue, 08-30-2022, 10:40 AM
Ep 9

------------------------------------------------------

what a joke, she schemed like a toddler, yet the show still manages to lure me in with that ending scene.

This is just so bad.... first of all, why would the teacher even listen to her in the first place, she didn't even "buy" her agreement using points or anything.
What would've happened if Horikita turned in the "real" sheet after her and why would the teacher not ask herself or Horikita "didn't you send someone else to deliver them for you, why are you here again with different papers". After all, she is the flipping class rep.

And this was such a one dimensional scheme, I can't believe how simple it was and that she didn't even have a failsafe or anything like that.
She didn't even consider that someone else would do the same thing? Way before she did? Seriously?
And why would the bully-dude even hand out the real papers. She had nothing on him. At most he would lose a spy in their class and first of all, is he even interested in *expelling* Horikita?
And what reason did he have to believe that she was even capable of bringing in the correct questions from Class D.

He had no reason to actually trust her.. and he didn't, call me surprised

neflight86
Tue, 08-30-2022, 04:15 PM
Well, they said she "got her (the teacher) to agree to those two terms", which implies they used points or the like.

Agree with the rest, its so dumb and juvenile, but I can't stop watching!

neflight86
Mon, 09-12-2022, 07:49 PM

From literal pillow talk to literal waterboarding in a single episode.

I'm surprised that they were able to make Koenji seem over capable and like the same flawed, 'hopeless' character he was introduced to us as in the very first episode. I honestly wasn't sure he could even hold his side of a conversation because his social autism/narcissisms seemed insurmountable. He wasn't on Ryuuen's list though, so the whole confrontation must have been some sort of 'bait'. Unfortunately, events and circumstances outside his possible knowledge may throw him off the trail he so desperately wants in the coming episodes.

neflight86
Mon, 09-19-2022, 11:43 AM

Yowza. That must be cathartic to long time anime watchers who don't buy into the 'infinite willpower' trope. If Ryuzen says he has never felt fear, he simply hasn't been beaten badly enough, Ayanokouji correctly surmises. I thought for a moment that he might disappear their entire group, because his little show will only cast more spotlight on him, unless he scared them into silence.

I wonder (for the story it is a given) if this somehow will reverse his decision to abandon the class climb. Specifically, how will this lead to that conclusion, because this was simply fulfilling a promise.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-19-2022, 12:20 PM
He didn't go nearly far enough. He should've chopped their arms and legs off, then their tongue, gouged out their eyes, and then put them in a coma. Heck, might as well just kill them and hide their bodies. Leaving them alive is just a bunch of loose strings that need not be there. I bet his father wouldn't have been this half-assed. Involving the teacher and the school prez, so far as owing them favors now, is the peak of his naivete.

I also wanted the Ryuen torture to go longer and in a more satisfying direction. Punching isn't exactly the best form of inflicting pain, especially because people lose consciousness. He should've started by pulling out all his teeth. Then he should have cut off his fingers and toes one by one while keeping him from bleeding out, and then flayed his skin until he fainted. And then poured alcohol all over him. And then burned him to death. That would've been nice.

Unfortunately, these schmucks will still be around next episode causing trouble. Sigh.

neflight86
Mon, 09-19-2022, 01:57 PM
...That's pretty extreme!

I figure physical dismemberment would go beyond the top cover he was counting on the teacher and Stuco Prez to provide for. This was a simple 'fight', and we have seen the limp punishments this school has doled out for those in the past.

As Ayanokoji said, this entire situation is so below his ability to handle, that he is willing to apply the absolute minimum force to get his point across. Ryuzen is a proud man, and him feeling fear alone will definitely have an affect on him and his ability to command Class C now that his own principles and self image have been shaken. Given how this show handles things, I expect he may actually become a housebroken dog, or at least a quiet one since he has come into contact with an immovable force.

In a way, Ayanokoji lucked out in that they were too proud or thoughtless to use the girl as a hostage and assumed they could win with their on-prem strength.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-19-2022, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I think him going to the teacher and ex-prez was already naive of him. He should've handled everything by himself. With his clearly extremely superior abilities, he could just make these jokes disappear one by one.

The funny thing is, Ayanokouji knew he could easily beat all 4 of them at the same time. You are right in that he did the bare minimum to get his desired effect, which is very in character for him. He did not get hit once during that fight, even when he was toying around with Ryuen to understand the crap the dude was saying about feelings and whatnot. Even when he was "pinned" to the wall, he blocked each and every strike with his hands and arms, which is the most insane part about that battle.

That was a very well animated fight. I struggle to remember such good fight coordination, even in action shows, recently.

David75
Mon, 09-19-2022, 11:08 PM
There's something about the repetition of a very precise strike at precise intervals. It feels a bit like the water dripping torture.
Add that to the fact Ryuen was unable to get a single emotion out of Ayanokoji in any situation, and Ryuen started to break as he found someone he can not manipulate the emotions at all.
I also found the animation interresting. Lighting, some line/shadow/light blur, image shake on strikes. Nicely done.

neflight86
Tue, 09-20-2022, 07:49 AM
The animation looked a little weak to me, but above what I'd expect from this show, so it worked just fine. Maybe its upper-body only choreography, but it looked kind of cheap. Conceptually, though it was pretty banger. I also noticed that he parried or blocked every single strike and made clowns of them (except the girl who got a merciful neck chop).

Yeah, I think him going to the teacher and ex-prez was already naive of him. He should've handled everything by himself. With his clearly extremely superior abilities, he could just make these jokes disappear one by one.

I think it was a good idea. It isn't unreasonable to assume sour grapes would lead to false accusations, especially if only one side had visible injuries. Making them disappear (and going through the trouble) would entail him having a level of animosity that I don't think he is capable of. Not having emotions doesn't automatically make everyone disposable, does it? If they pose no threat, he can leave them be, is how I see it.

KrayZ33
Mon, 09-26-2022, 03:51 PM
I really hope they aren't trying to redeem that waterboarding fucktard in any way whatsoever.

Like seriously.

Once more the show knows how to do cliffhangers though.
The insight into MCs thoughts about the others is quite interesting as well.

It's almost sad how Kei is being used like that.

neflight86
Tue, 09-27-2022, 04:28 PM
"I've judged you as unworthy to smile for". Ouch. Glad he knew to think instead of say that zinger!

So cane girl from class A has some connection with Ayanokoji's white room project. That's a natural way to ramp up the conflict with opponents closer to his 'level'.

I like that Kei, while falling for the scheme and becoming a 'tool', never stopped being her own character and isn't resentful of Ayanokoji's personality.

Looks like he is planning on getting rid of Kushida after all, which is a long time coming since she declared war on him. She also looks a little more haggard even in fake mode. The cracks are beginning to show. Looking forward to s3!

neflight86
Tue, 01-09-2024, 11:28 AM
s3 ep1

While a reminder of the characters and their relationships would have been a nice to have, the series in the long term will do well to just keep trucking with its dense narrative. They hit the ground running, and it seems Ayanokoji is going to have to pick and choose who to save in his class. I didn't expect old StuCo prez to ask for help with the new prez, though Ayanokoji is a convenient tool.

I forgot when or how they advanced to class C, so that came as a semi-surprise to me. Strange that so many of the school events are essentially field trips with rules and grading?

neflight86
Thu, 01-11-2024, 02:39 PM
Shorter arc than I expected. The twist wasn't as severe as I expected, and no real damage was done (except economically to old stuco's class), but the foreshadowing of mass expulsion has me excited.

neflight86
Thu, 01-18-2024, 01:18 PM

My best compliment I can levy at episodes that are so unfulfilling is that they feel absurdly short. I believe this setup will payout, but I could watch and analyze this for hours instead of 20 minutes.

Interesting that the only dirt the a class crony had on cain girl was that she... shoplifts, too? I must have missed some subtext there.

neflight86
Thu, 01-25-2024, 11:17 AM

I'm surprised that a few message board 'rumors' have gotten to the class so easily. I mean, they were "D" class until recently, but they are just acting like dumb kids now, not the previous lowest ranked at a school of elites.

I'm liking how this new stuco president is putting pressure on the A class and B class without revealing is hand too soon. That being said, please get to the conflict soon! Its getting harder and harder to track the details of what is happening without a central event to contextualize it around.

neflight86
Thu, 02-01-2024, 01:19 PM

Yes, I was hoping the expulsion of the fake girl was the long play here. B-class girl's sob story was so j-tragedy that I'm surprised the a-class girl really thought people wouldn't sympathize with her after hearing it. She just made herself look like a petty 'holier than thou' type. Its funny that this was the result of having to essentially practice the breakdown with AyanoK in private the night before, but the climax itself came off a bit less... dramatic than it may have been intended to.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-01-2024, 02:10 PM
A-Class girl thought that B-Class girl would just break down and not be able to survive the accusations. She would have too, if not for Ayanokouji prepping her beforehand for days.

neflight86
Thu, 02-01-2024, 03:49 PM
My slight gripe was that the whole "I... did a thing... a bad thing!..." is usually related to murder or manslaughter to justify the dramatic reveal. The supposed weight of the sin of shoplifting once a couple years ago doesn't seem like it was worthy of a public execution when students at this school constantly lie, cheat, bully, fight and buy each other off with points on the daily. Who's being fooled here, practiced resilience or not?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-01-2024, 04:52 PM
TBH, it's not the shoplifting that is bad. It's getting caught and getting it on her record since this is still set in Japan.

BTW, her mom is insane.

The slap, which was done in front of the little sister, traumatizing her too, is a worse crime both morally and legally than stealing a useless trinket from a huge store. That and the subsequent public shaming caused B-Girl to be a recluse for months just because the mom has a weird justice hard-on for a mostly victimless crime.

If the mom had just harshly scolded B-Girl in private away from the sister and made her promise not to do it again, things would have ended up far better. B-Girl only resorted to theft because the mom was a financial wreck anyway, and as an adult, this "mess" is far more her responsibility than the teenage daughter's.

neflight86
Thu, 02-08-2024, 12:31 PM

...Imagine the administration being unable to accept no expulsions after a major test.

I forgot Ayanokoji met with this mad scientist father last season who is apparently pressuring the school to expel him. My question is if He will finally get rid of two-face or vice versa, because this test should theoretically have her be invincible, and with a little persuasion, able to nuke anyone she wants with down votes.

neflight86
Thu, 02-15-2024, 09:13 AM

This is the most straightforward scheme yet, but what puzzles me (and there's always room for a last minute twist in Classroom of the Elite) though is that Kushida is content being a mere tool during this event. This seems like her best chance to finally expel Horikita without getting her hands dirty, as she has the most behind the scenes influence in the class. Not leveraging her popularity now makes one wonder if she will ever do it and bear her fangs?

The stooge being manipulated by the A-class crutch girl is so obvious as an expulsion candidate that I fell like it must be a red herring and the real culprit will be sussed out next episode when the vote happens.

Nice to see that Horikita's brother still cares for her somewhat, just with a spartan was of expressing it.

neflight86
Thu, 02-22-2024, 05:11 PM

So this came down to a matter pragmatism versus sentiment. Horikita wanted to leave no one behind, but was finally forced to accept that that just isn't realistic given their resources and situation. All of the classes had to navigate this, but class C has for the longest, presumably, kept anyone from being expelled.

Speaking of other classes, the movers of B and D combining forces, so to speak, to avoid their respective crises was entertaining (Ryuuen is an interesting enough character to keep around for a while longer).

Ayanokoji is less and less able to keep to the shadows now.

neflight86
Wed, 03-06-2024, 02:48 PM

Not a ton to discuss, as this set of games has little surface level 'a-ha' trickery going on, but Ayanokoji is maybe getting tired of holding back for his classmates, coming out both barrels blazing on class prez about his uselessness and his confidence to Horikita in Chess. Strange that his deal wound up being that he used to be violent to keep his class in line, but now is disappointed that he considered it when backed into a corner- that's not so bad, is it?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-06-2024, 04:28 PM
I mean, he can be violent all he wants, but with Blond Boy and Ayanokouji in his class, that would not have changed a thing, except maybe a more permanent destruction of his reputation (and body).

neflight86
Thu, 03-14-2024, 08:36 AM

I recently learned that the story of Classroom of the Elite varies significantly from its manga which itself varies significantly from the light novels they are based on, leaving me to wonder why this is still compelling. Anime original writing staff aren't known to me to produce consistently high quality stories. I find my enthusiasm more cooled by the approaching end of this season and no announcement of another in sight (seasons 2 and 3 were announced together a coupe years before they aired).

Speaking on the episode, the showdown played out very plainly yet with a clever little twist at the end with the chess move being rerouted in real time. I think it would have been more interesting if the teacher didn't spill the beans and we got to see walker girl muse over the possible angles at play for an episode or two before moving on.

How is Koenji able to stay at the school when he contributes nothing.. or rather why? Since he refuses to follow any directions from his classmates, why does he even do exams and the other bare minimum to not get himself expelled? Why does he not also rebel against the teachers? What does he even want to accomplish here? That has never even been hinted at. He needs an arc.

neflight86
Wed, 03-20-2024, 01:51 PM

I presume this is the end based on the highlight reel credit roll.

Some welcome resolution for Horikita's arc with her brother, and that's about it. More vague plotting and setup for a fourth season we may or may not get. So many plot threads dangling that I can say the story is currently unsatisfying, but I remain hopeful and, more importantly interested in what happens next... if I ever get to see it.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-20-2024, 03:34 PM
Pretty sure the next seasons are going to come. The novels are very popular, and somehow, so is the anime.

That was such a creepy way for siblings to hug...

neflight86
Wed, 03-20-2024, 09:03 PM
Her obsession with her brother, and his approval, was no secret. It's not much of a stretch for her to be a bro-con. That said, you could reasonably take it as light hearted sibling banter as well.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
I meant the hands on his chest type of hug. Siblings don't hug like that. That is clearly romantic wtf. Wrap you arms around, you brocon!

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-02-2024, 11:46 AM

-----------------------------------------------

well, there are worse show than this for sure.
binge watched it and was entertained. I don't like the leader of Class A and I think it's funny as hell when she gets her walking stick kicked away.
When the new principal did it I actually started laughing (because that came so out of freaking NOWHERE), but nice detail that Kiyotaka actually tried to stop her from dropping to the floor, showing that he became soft.

I just hope he is actually soft and not "solely" a mega psycho, I don't want him to throw Kei away.
She already had to suffer through waterboarding and took it like a champ/marine. She doesn't deserve any more shit done to her.

Unlike Class C leader, who gets some kind of redemption or something? Wth... this is why I don't trust MC yet.

I'm interested in a season 4. Seems like there is enough material ready already? If so, I'll be eager to watch.