PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania

Munsu
Fri, 07-07-2017, 09:08 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA

A vampire hunter fights to save a besieged city from an army of otherworldly beasts controlled by Dracula himself. Inspired by the classic video games.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80095241

Castlevania is out on Netflix right now, and looks like Horriblesubs has it as well.

Been very much looking forward to this one, but only 4 episodes long. Reactions so far seem overwhelmingly positive. In any case, will watch it tonight.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Watched it all, as a huge fan of the series I was thoroughly pleased. Surprised how much it actually followed the lore of the games.

That said, 4 episodes was not enough.

Spoilers

---

Stops, like, halfway through Castlevania 3's plot. Obviously meant to be longer. Has a serious Grant Dynasty deficiency.

Munsu
Fri, 07-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Watched it all, as a huge fan of the series I was thoroughly pleased. Surprised how much it actually followed the lore of the games.

That said, 4 episodes was not enough.

Spoilers

---

Stops, like, halfway through Castlevania 3's plot. Obviously meant to be longer. Has a serious Grant Dynasty deficiency.

Already renewed for an 8-episode second season:
http://deadline.com/2017/07/castlevania-animated-series-renewed-season-2-netflix-1202125024/

Anyways, just finished this myself and really liked it. Very violent, loved that. It was slow though, and the VAs I didn't care much for. That said, I loved all the main characters. Trevor and Dracula are complete badasses. And fun, and both sympathetic even when sometimes they have bent moralities.

Last fight was great with another badass character I can't wait to see more of.

Very pleased and glad this was made. Hope we can see more like it in the future. Adi Shankar, executive producer, has been tasked with an Assassin's Creed animation as well. And he seems to like dark violent shit, so can't wait for that to come into fruition as well.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 07-07-2017, 08:47 PM
Sadly, there was a disappointing lack of nudity. I just expected it from an R-rated Netflix...anime?

Already renewed for an 8-episode second season:Excellent! Though I'm guessing that's less of an actual second season and more of a "the rest of the season we originally wrote".

Munsu
Sat, 07-08-2017, 01:34 PM
Sadly, there was a disappointing lack of nudity. I just expected it from an R-rated Netflix...anime?

Excellent! Though I'm guessing that's less of an actual second season and more of a "the rest of the season we originally wrote".

LOL, most probably. I hope they don't take a year to make it. That said, I wonder why they didn't do a full season in the first place. They already have successful original animation, so it isn't as if this was needed to be some sort of pilot test. Either you're behind your product, or you aren't.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 07-08-2017, 02:13 PM
Well, their other animation isn't R-rated though(I don't think, I assume we're talking about Voltron). They probably wanted to see how THAT would do.

Munsu
Sat, 07-08-2017, 03:05 PM
Well, their other animation isn't R-rated though(I don't think, I assume we're talking about Voltron). They probably wanted to see how THAT would do.

They also have Bojack Horseman and don't know what else. But for Netflix, known for their edgy shows, then I don't know... seems they played it a bit too safe on that regard.

But whatever, thankfully we'll get more.

ForteCross
Sun, 07-09-2017, 01:00 PM
Already renewed for an 8-episode second season:
http://deadline.com/2017/07/castlevania-animated-series-renewed-season-2-netflix-1202125024/

Anyways, just finished this myself and really liked it. Very violent, loved that. It was slow though, and the VAs I didn't care much for. That said, I loved all the main characters. Trevor and Dracula are complete badasses. And fun, and both sympathetic even when sometimes they have bent moralities.

Last fight was great with another badass character I can't wait to see more of.

Very pleased and glad this was made. Hope we can see more like it in the future. Adi Shankar, executive producer, has been tasked with an Assassin's Creed animation as well. And he seems to like dark violent shit, so can't wait for that to come into fruition as well.

first time when i heard that they were making a castlevania serias i was pumped, then i heard it was going to be an animated series... then i heard it was going to be released this year and i thought will they have enough time to make it?

then i heard it was only 4 episodes... if i didnt knew this was just a pilot to test the waters then i would have been so pissed...

i have not played castlevania 3 to know the story but this was just the prelude stage before even entering the castle...

i was pissed at alucard for being so "sympathetic" with his father about the lose of his love, until i heard he was the son of her too...

but from what i remember of the castlevania storyline, dracula became a vampire after losing his true love not before.... :\

DarthEnderX
Sun, 07-09-2017, 01:33 PM
i have not played castlevania 3 to know the story but this was just the prelude stage before even entering the castle...If I can take a moment to inform then:

About half of CV3 takes place outside the castle. As you make your way to the castle as Trevor, you can pick up Sypha, Alucard, and one other character that hasn't appeared in the show. And then you spend the latter half of the game fighting your way through the castle.

So really this covers closer to half the game than a single level.

but from what i remember of the castlevania storyline, dracula became a vampire after losing his true love not before...It's technically both. He lost his original wife before becoming a vampire(and became a vampire to spite God and whatnot), but he met Alucard's mother long after.

I mean, he's like a thousand years old. He's had more than one love in that time.

kmkze04
Wed, 07-19-2017, 03:14 PM
Posts from friends on FB are pretty disapproving of the story apparently. They said animation and all was great but the storywriters are lacking something in bringing the game to life. Any thoughts on this? I'm on the fence about watching.

Munsu
Wed, 07-19-2017, 04:56 PM
Posts from friends on FB are pretty disapproving of the story apparently. They said animation and all was great but the storywriters are lacking something in bringing the game to life. Any thoughts on this? I'm on the fence about watching.

It's only 4 episodes, not a big time investment... go watch it with proper expectations and hope you'll enjoy.

Munsu
Sat, 01-20-2018, 03:57 PM
Looks like season 2 is coming this Summer:

https://twitter.com/warrenellis/status/954460793814376448

lelouch
Sat, 01-20-2018, 06:38 PM
I was extremely high when I binged this so I don't remember most of it, but do remember going "wtf am i watching" but also enjoying it.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 01-21-2018, 05:45 PM
Can't come soon enough!

DarthEnderX
Mon, 10-02-2023, 03:25 PM
Never talked about the rest of the first series. But I loved season 2 and season 4.

First season of the sequel, Castlevania: Nocturne is out. And it's just as badass.

My only complaint, as always, is not enough Castlevania music. I think the first series played Bloody Tears once, and the new series played Bloodlines once, and that's it.

Death BOO Z
Thu, 10-05-2023, 03:27 PM
I watched it, and then forgot that I finished it? weird. I wanted to continue watching and it turns out I watched up to episode 8 already.

Nocturne started strong, I like how clear they were with the vampire=nobles=church=hierarchy they were. I'm not sold on the characters (especially the blond revolution girl), but that's not much of an issue.
problem is that netflix like this don't benefit from weekly watching and building a habit and intrigue, and they end (at least for now) in an unsatisfying position (like the back of a Volkswagen).

in a structural sense, it feels like we're supposed to be at two thirds of the story, but in terms of character additions, it now feels like we've just finished the prologue and can start the first act.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-05-2023, 06:14 PM
in a structural sense, it feels like we're supposed to be at two thirds of the story, but in terms of character additions, it now feels like we've just finished the prologue and can start the first act.Just like season 1 of the first series, we ended on Alucard joining the party.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-05-2023, 07:17 PM
Unlike other anime that tend to rely a lot on popularity and success to even get a second season, Castlevania can afford to be slow at the start to build up to bigger climaxes at the later seasons and build up so many side characters.

I really liked it when Richter got his magic back (as dumb as the reason was) and pawned all the vampires there.

I really hated it when he became shit again right after.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-06-2023, 07:14 AM
I really hated it when he became shit again right after.Nah, he was kicking Drolte's ass until Batory showed up.

That said, he should not have needed to be saved by Alucard, because once they were away and it was just Drolte and some jobbers facing them, he should have gone right back to kicking her ass.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-06-2023, 11:27 AM
I expected him to just crush shit with all his magic powers, but he took time dealing with the demons and didn't even deal a serious blow to Drolta. It's like he ran out of stored mana when he unleashed it on the vampires hunting him.

Considering how shit he was prior to regaining magic, I wanted him to OWN things, not just fight more competently than before.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-06-2023, 01:40 PM
I expected him to just crush shit with all his magic powers, but he took time dealing with the demons and didn't even deal a serious blow to Drolta. It's like he ran out of stored mana when he unleashed it on the vampires hunting him.Obviously, using Grand Cross used up too many Hearts.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-06-2023, 02:35 PM
His Long Rest should've replenished him.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 10-06-2023, 05:58 PM
His Long Rest should've replenished him.Resting doesn't replenish Hearts! Whipping candles does!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-06-2023, 07:52 PM
Can't he just die and Continue?