PDA

View Full Version : Fate Apocrypha

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-02-2017, 10:27 PM

Synopsis:

The setting is a parallel world to Fate/stay night where the Greater Grail mysteriously disappeared from Fuyuki after the Third Holy Grail War. After many years of silence, around the same time as the Fifth Holy Grail War would have happened, the Yggdmillennia, a family of magi, openly declares their secession from the Mage's Association, and that they are in possession of the Grail. The Association dispatches fifty magi to retrieve it, and all but one are instantly slaughtered by a mysterious Servant. The one remaining manages to activate the reserve system of the Greater Grail, allowing for the summoning of fourteen Servants in total.

In the city of Trifas, two factions will fight for the control of the sacred relic, each of them possessing their own team of seven Servants: the Black Faction whose members are part of Yggdmillennia, protecting the Grail, and the Red Faction whose members were sent by the Mage's Association, trying to take the Grail back. For an event of this scale, the Grail itself summons its own Servant, the holy Ruler, to oversee the conflict.

This marks the start of the Great Holy Grail War.

(Source: Type-Moon Wikia, edited)

Episode 1. (https://nyaa.si/download/935321.torrent)

neflight86
Sun, 07-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Interesting first episode. Shake up the formula by having two teams of seven mages, and then a regular war among the winning side. I just wonder if the writing will be such that the characters understand the end game of fighting with their current allies.

Also, Saber's offspring is a bit of a rebellion from her noble demeanor, no?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-03-2017, 09:33 AM
I'm glad they gave us a glimpse of the awesome fights that are to come.

Mordred is so ero-kawaii.

Can't wait for loli-assassin to show up.

But what I really like about this Fate spin off is that it has adult masters and a more mature story. Being mages, they aren't SJWs like Shiro, and will stoop to almost anything to achieve victory. I also like how the "main" character, Shishido, looks like a frigging yakuza thug. What a contrast to the ero-kawaii Mordred.

ForteCross
Mon, 07-03-2017, 05:13 PM
i am having some trouble with the voice actors... even tough this is an spin off, shiro doesnt sounds like shiro and saber doesnt sounds like saber...

this is not from ufotable as far as i remember so that would make sense, but at the same time after having saber for so long... even if she is her offspring i am still expecting them to have some kind of resemble on the voice.

i hope that not all the masters are so high tier mages, we still need someone grounded up and not all high and mighty, rider's master and rider himself in fate/zero were excellent protagonists, having someone grow up in the series, otherwise we would have the "best masters in the world" where they cant learn new things because they know everything that exists already...

also lolz @ the fat guy with the hilter's mustache, its like they didnt had any option than to make him obnoxious so that no one takes him seriously

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 07-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Probably because they're not Shirou and Saber? I mean, they called him Shirou, but I don't think he's the same as our Emiya Shirou from Fate. And while yes, this is a "Saber", it isn't Arturia (or as the English version of Grand Order would have her, Altria, lol).

I do wish ufotable was doing this instead of Touken Ranbu...

neflight86
Mon, 07-03-2017, 11:30 PM
I do wish ufotable was doing this instead of Touken Ranbu...

I haven't really had any complaints to far with the animation so far. Guess the frequency (and quality) of fights will be where the burden is brought to bear for the studio; as is the case for most shows, if I give it a second's thought.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-04-2017, 02:00 PM
Yeah, she's not Arturia Saber, she's Mordred Saber, as seen in the "MEMORIA" ending to F/Z.

Hey, I'd be happy if we ever got to see Queen of the Underboob, Alter Lancer Arturia.

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-04-2017, 06:03 PM
Double post, but it is pretty neat that Mordred is using a sword called "Clarent" which according to the Arthurian myth is the ceremonial sword stolen from Arthur and later used to kill him. Mordred's noble phantasm here is "blood Arthur."

How adorable!

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-06-2017, 08:04 AM
I'm pretty ambivalent about this. It's easy to get into since I'm familiar with the system already. I'm in it from an eyecandy/action perspective and I'll let the story/characters surprise me if they turn out to be entertaining.

lelouch
Thu, 07-06-2017, 08:07 AM
Why isn't Ufotable doing this? The fate series is their shit.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-06-2017, 09:12 AM
Why does everyone want Ufotable to do this? They screwed up the final part of UBW, and the first episode looks good.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-08-2017, 05:26 AM
ufotable is busy doing Heaven's Feel, that's why. Initially announced as one movie, now three.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-08-2017, 05:38 AM
Ufotable did another show for this season though

Kraco
Sat, 07-08-2017, 07:21 AM
I appreciate this is different from the usual Fuyuki city formula. We have seen that a few times already, so this chess match ought to offer something new. Saber having more spunk isn't bad. I think we've already seen all there is to see about the original Arturia Saber.

lelouch
Sun, 07-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Why does everyone want Ufotable to do this?

Because they are GODS AMONG ANTS

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 07-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Episode 2 is out by UTW.

Red Saber is best Saber. Still..too bad they changed the location of the fight. In the manga it was at a cemetery if I recall correctly.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-09-2017, 02:55 PM
Mordred = Badass.

And always ero-kawaii. Her tsundere-ing is the rare example of me liking modern tsunderes.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Semiramis all the way for me~

Kraco
Sun, 07-09-2017, 04:47 PM
There's certainly no good side in this. There might be decent masters and servants, but no side is better than the other. I hope Sisigou shows more necromancer tricks along the way. The heart poison gas grenade was promising already.

Bloody Kotomine Shiro. No better than the previous Kotomines. The only decent person with Kotomine blood doesn't carry that name.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 07-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Too bad they cut out the scene of her master buying the clothes for her.
But I do really like Mordred. She's just a rebellious kid that seeks approval. I mean she seemed very happy when she got her clothes and really wanted to know what he thought of her moves.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-09-2017, 06:41 PM
Sorry, you can't beat floor length hair, a permanent air of evil, and yellow slit irises.

lelouch
Mon, 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM
No one's discussing this? For real? I feel like there's 4 or 5 people left here total

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-31-2017, 11:44 AM
I read some of the light novel, although the anime is almost caught up to what I know, so I avoid discussing to prevent spoilers. Once it is all caught up, I will actively talk about this.

For now, just let me complain about the lack of Mordred in the recent episodes. And Jeanne is cute.

Ryllharu
Mon, 07-31-2017, 05:01 PM
It would pretty much be that this series actually failed the 3 episode test for me. I've attempted to keep watching, just out of respect for the franchise, Mordred, and Semiramis, but let's face it, this series is fucking garbage.

None of the masters are worth caring about, even remotely. Mordred's master is only acceptable because he is just so blasé about it. That's the big fail. I don't really give a shit about any of these characters. Oh no! Cripple sister we're supposed to feel bad for...but don't. Brother, and I don't even remember who he is the master of...wants to help her. Shirou/Gil/Kirei is obviously the master of all the others on the Red (...Black? Do I even give a fuck?) side.

Ruler? Oh high and mighty self-righteous queen....who I also don't care about and think she's kind of a bitch for believing that she's above any of this, like that has ever happened outside of Prisma Ilya where Kiritsugu and Iri murdered every other participant before the Grail War even started, in order to keep their daughter safe, and a lot of deaths happened anyway.

Sakura is more charismatic than Ruler is, and that's saying something.

Super gay, super worthless piece of shit homunculus? Don't care about him either.

NONE of the characters are remotely engaging in any way! What, pray tell, is there to even discuss?

Let me explain how I watch this series. I start up an episode, give up after about 7 minutes. I do anything else I can to entertain myself, because the series is so boring and unengaging. Then I watch another 3 to 5 minutes, and give up again. By that time, something else, better, has come out, and I watch that. I reopen the episode to where I left off, and pause it immediately. I do something else again. This pattern repeats for about three days, when Symphogear and Sakura Quest come out. I watch those, and then finally...finally I finish an episode of Fate/Apocrypha.

edit: Just in case this wasn't clear. NONE of the Masters have any presence at all. They have no personality, no reason to give a single fuck about them, and to be honest, the Servants aren't much better. It is hard to remember their Class in the first place, aside from the obvious Sabers and Archers. The trap Lancer? is the only Servant even worth caring about, because he doesn't give a single fuck...just like me.

kmkze04
Fri, 08-04-2017, 10:36 AM
Just caught up. I loved the Fate series and I'm still on the fence about this one. While the first few episodes were fun at best, the latest have started lacking interest for me. The writing is definitely missing a certain drive and though it's nice to see some old names pop up, it's very disconnected from the Fate line IMO. It would've been much more interesting to see say... some of the Fate Zero and Stay Night surviving mages vs ones from the clock tower if they decided to put an end to the Grail Wars.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-05-2017, 04:46 AM
The franchise is as milked as it can get.
I expected it to fail tbh... just like that Grand Order bullshit we were thrown at with.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 08-05-2017, 06:00 AM
I am watching it because it's Fate. Haven't watched Ilya Prism or whatever that series is called.

It's a bit idiotic they are all throwing their real names around. It's linked to your weakness and strength. And yet they give those names to the freakin enemy. Like Siegfried. He was ordered not to give his name to his allies. The only smart thing his Master did. Then when Lancer of Red attacked, he just gave his name. From the OP you'd think he'd lasted longer but then he just kills himself to help out a wet noodle worth of character.

The other Masters are basically just sitting in a room in trance or something. Only that would explain why the other Servants just seem to obey Kotomine. Unless he is a Ruler class himself since Jeanne's own summoning is somehow messed up despite being summoned directly by the Grail.

Right now I'm mostly watching for Mordred and Frankenstein. And any reference to other chars. Like Waver.

kmkze04
Tue, 08-08-2017, 04:01 PM
Pretty sure there's a hint in the OP that Siegfried will be revived, I haven't watched this week's but didn't last week show the homunculus starting to get a mark?

But yeah definitely agreed they're doing a sort of Bleach-esque "you're my enemy, but let me explain to you what my ability is" crap.

And you might've hit it on the point. There's not enough real conflict. It's all too superficial. The moron just takes your attention away for a bit but the rest... I understand they are working in teams but at least one team could have some real inner conflict. Nothing. All just face value.

Would be super nice to see Waver jump in, along with the one blondie rich mage, forgot her name. Would be especially nice to see her and Rin have to actually work together. And maybe if the story was tweaked so modern Shirou actually becomes the Servant when summoned, being that the Grail can pull from any time period. That's already 4 solid characters right there with a thousand possible subplots.

Really poor writing. The more I think about it, the more shameful it is to the Fate name. I watched a bit of the Ilya series and it was fun because it was clearly detached from the rest of the Fate line so you could enjoy it for its own individual story. This Apocrypha is a cheap ripoff. Like the new Karate Kid where Will Smith thought it was cool to put his son in a movie where they learn Kung Fu and not Karate...

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 08-09-2017, 04:46 AM
It showed flashes of him having command seals. Maybe he will summon Siegfried. What better catalyst is there than his own heart? Then again....Ruler has no Master and is incomplete herself so he might take that role.

Anyway things seem to be moving forwards a bit. Mordred still being best girl. If Arthuria was a lion...then Mordred is just a cat. As clearly seen in the way she plays with that cat.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-11-2017, 12:22 PM
I'm essentially fast-forwarding/skipping these episodes because they're mostly uninteresting, but it turns out the fight sequences are still pretty entertaining. I almost watched Episode 06 in its entirety.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-11-2017, 12:53 PM
The fight scenes with Mordred and her master are awesome.

ForteCross
Sat, 08-12-2017, 05:31 PM
I almost watched Episode 06 in its entirety. nuff said...

i am having some trouble with the explosion sound they are using over and over and over... it sounds cheap and broken... two swords getting hit? explosion... no sound of metal clashing one against the other just an explosion...

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-12-2017, 10:45 PM
I assumed those are sonic booms from their speed.

lelouch
Mon, 08-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Yall are crazy for not watching this -- this show is legit af

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Huh? I assume everyone commenting in this thread is watching this. I for one really like it, too.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-27-2017, 03:21 PM
I dropped it at episode 4 or 5.

It's wretched. It only makes me want the HF's movies more, to get the taste of pathetic and dull spinoff out of my mouth.