PDA

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-02-2017, 03:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjaP1eV5eQ

"Synopsis

In the online game Glory, Ye Xiu is regarded as a textbook and a top-tier pro-player. However, due to a myriad reasons, he is kicked from the team. After leaving the professional scene, he finds work in an Internet Cafe as a manager. When Glory launches its tenth server, he who possesses ten years of gaming experience once again throws himself into the game. Bringing with him the memories of his past and an incomplete, self-made weapon, his return along the road to the summit begins! "

http://the-kings-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_King%27s_Avatar_Wikia

Did anyone else watch this little gem last season?
Didn't see a thread up and after watching EP12 recently, I thought it's time to make a thread about it.
The player input is obviously not matching anything in the game but hey, who cares.
It's still very fun to watch and I liked the story.

Better story than SAO.

The fights can be hit and miss, overall however, they are impressive.
Some of which reminded me of Kyoto Animation's work, especially when that Battle-Mage girl joins the group with her lance/staff.

Had some better and some worse epsiodes - yet overall pretty decent.
Give it a try, and while you are at it, try to ignore the "bad" VA.

Season 2 has been confirmed already as far as I know - different animation studio though.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-02-2017, 10:57 PM
I watched it and enjoyed it.

However, the show is nonsense. The game they're playing is just sheer, utter nonsense. None of it makes any sense, and having all these e-sports teams be super obsessed with dungeon clear records is a bit of a stretch. The game systems are whatever they want them to be at the time. It also doesn't make sense what you could even be doing with 200+ APM in a game where you only control 1 character.

The animation is also really bad at times, particularly whenever someone is walking.

"Better than SAO", lol. I don't think so. SAO at least tries to have its systems make sense.
Comparing anything in this show to Kyoto Animation... I can't even comprehend how you got there.

An entertaining show? Definitely. I could watch it just for the main character giving his smug grin to everyone.

KrayZ33
Mon, 07-03-2017, 04:17 AM
As for the inputs not making sense, yeah - I said as much. I agree. I guess it's some interacting between character movement, skill combo timing (quicktime event-ish) and movement. Basically, if you can do the right combination @ 200 APM, your dmg output increases compared to someone who does it @ 100 APM.
I don't know whether the LN/Manga, or whatever, explains this properly.

The game itself is pretty much a cookie-cutter JRPGMMO. With competitive arena PVP as the true endgame

"Better than SAO", lol. I don't think so. SAO at least tries to have its systems make sense.

No..it doesn't lol. Well, at least they failed if they actually tried.
I actually said "Better story than Sao" - at least quote me right. Not that it matters a whole lot, because it is - overall - a better work in my opinion, since SAO had nothing going for it after the first half of season 1.
Even Death Gun's arc in season 2 had a very crappy execution and conclusion.

I don't know why you'd consider a system that is based on "willpower" to make sense.
It's basically voiding all the other game mechanics - what good are weaponskills/abilities for when willpower determines how strong you are - to the point where it can break a games own limits.

Comparing anything in this show to Kyoto Animation... I can't even comprehend how you got there.

Battlemage combat is pretty much like Ka...nata something - blood into sword- girl show where big Sis wields a 2handed staff to mess with demons. (With less FPS though). Got reminded of her in an instant however.

MFauli
Mon, 07-03-2017, 06:54 AM
I watched it and enjoyed it.

However, the show is nonsense. The game they're playing is just sheer, utter nonsense. None of it makes any sense, and having all these e-sports teams be super obsessed with dungeon clear records is a bit of a stretch. The game systems are whatever they want them to be at the time. It also doesn't make sense what you could even be doing with 200+ APM in a game where you only control 1 character.

The animation is also really bad at times, particularly whenever someone is walking.

An entertaining show? Definitely. I could watch it just for the main character giving his smug grin to everyone.

Thx, I agree with everything and therefore donīt have to write much now :)
I watched this anime in 2 days, but itīs really not as good as that would make one think. Itīs enjoyable and has a good flow, but nothing really happens. Lord Grim being smug and beating everyone else for whatever goal. And even when he only manages a draw, heīs still smug, so thereīs no variety in emotions. Sword Art Online is infinitely better than this, and I say that as a huge critic of SAO.

Best thing: The opening song. Totally sounds like something from Disneyīs Mulan.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 07-03-2017, 06:22 PM
I did enjoy the music a lot, too.

lelouch
Thu, 07-06-2017, 12:32 AM
This is not better than SAO at all, not in animation nor in story. I can't believe I wasted my day on this. It was utterly fucking horrible. Won't waste my time on a season 2 if it comes out. People bawling their eyes out because some keyboard warrior retired? Out of the supposedly huge amount of people playing this game, being able to confidently determine who a player is just because of playing style? Give me a fucking break.

KrayZ33
Thu, 07-06-2017, 10:41 AM
Hahah, yoshi yoshu

Why the hell did you keep watching after the first 3 episodes and force yourself through it.

The setting is not that unrealistic btw.

MFauli
Thu, 07-06-2017, 12:44 PM
The setting is not that unrealistic btw.

Which makes it kinda sad.

Munsu
Fri, 04-13-2018, 11:15 PM
There's supposed to be a sequel coming out at the end of the month. Looks like only 3 episodes though, probably 30 minutes episode OVAs.

Munsu
Sun, 04-29-2018, 09:42 AM
So, the release group is calling this a Special...not sure what it's about yet (even if it's a sequel in particular), but from the comments it seems like a season 2 is still some time from now (like in a year if any).

Anyways, here's the first Special:
https://nyaa.si/view/1031232

KrayZ33
Fri, 05-11-2018, 03:03 PM
Well... OVAs were okay.

I kinda like the fights. They are flashy, the characters look really cool/beautiful too.

It's really difficult to find proper subtitles, either that, or it's the language in general. Chinese is pretty simple from what I've heard.

The game really doesn't make any sense though