PDA

View Full Version : Kuzu no Honkai

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-15-2017, 07:45 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hGp76lp.jpg

Genres: drama, psychological, romance
Themes: Unrequited Love
Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Mugi Awaya and Hanabi Yasuraoka appear to be the ideal couple. They are both pretty popular, and they seem to suit each other well. However, outsiders don't know of the secret they share. Both Mugi and Hanabi have hopeless crushes on someone else, and they are only dating each other to soothe their loneliness. Mugi is in love with Akane Minagawa, a young teacher who used to be his home tutor. Hanabi is also in love with a teacher, a young man who has been a family friend since she was little. In each other, they find a place where they can grieve for the ones they cannot have, and they share physical intimacy driven by loneliness. Will things stay like this for them forever?
~MAL

Links: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=18806), MAL (https://myanimelist.net/anime/32949/Kuzu_no_Honkai)

Download: Episode 01 (https://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=888561)

-----------------------------

Melodrama? NTR? Angsty teenage love?

I'd be hardly surprised if someone starts knifing everyone by the end of the show. No more surprised than the not-sex scene we got.

Kraco
Sun, 01-15-2017, 09:09 AM
One sort of a tragedy show. The atmosphere was actually pretty heavy, which is probably necessary for me as I doubt I could keep watching this if it looked like a regular shoujo show. The plot isn't that far from what one might find in shoujo, after all. I don't expect to see knifing, but I can't really imagine where this will go. Their original wishes seem pretty doomed, after all, so it's hard to see they'd break up because of that. They could potentially go through the whole high school with this kind of ambious relationship, then simply go their separate ways.

MFauli
Sun, 01-15-2017, 12:00 PM
I'd be hardly surprised if someone starts knifing everyone by the end of the show.

LOL, exactly what I thought :D
Ofc, the obvious outcome would be that the two fall in love with each other afterall. But that´d be kinda boring, woldn´t it? Also, how many shows exist where pupil and teacher successfully get together in the end? Not many. So it´s unlikely we´ll see a double-happy end with that combination.

My elaborate guess:

Positive thinking: They fall in love with each other, but keep remembering their promise (when one of us falls in love with the other, this relationship ends), so none of the two ever dares making a step forward. So it´s a lot of frustrating kinda-sexual events. Eventually, they realize that theý have stopped thinking about their teachers long ago, and then ... happy end.

Negative thinking: One of them falls in love with the other, while the other actually scores with his/her teacher. This leads to resentment, mind games, blackmailing, rape, and murder. Final scene of the anime: Girl and boy standing on top of a building, it´s raining. They´re hatefully glaring at each other. Then they commit double suicide. The End.

Crazy thinking: Both teachers get together. Boy and Girl start to create ridiculous plans on how to sabotage the two teachers. Slowly but steadily, their plans grow more heinous.Eventually, the boy frames the male teacher as if he had raped the female teacher, while the girl lures the female teacher into a situation where the female teacher is raped by some mobsters. Male teacher is taken in by police and goes crazy, female teacher commits suicide, not being able to handle the rape and losing her love. Boy and girl kiss each other and have wild sex. The end.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-15-2017, 12:36 PM
You need professional help.

MFauli
Sun, 01-15-2017, 01:59 PM
You need professional help.

Or I´m a fan of School Days ;)

No need to be mean, shinta.

David75
Sun, 01-15-2017, 02:09 PM
That fisrt ep sure felt unconfortable. That's a performance in itself. I will wait and see if I can get something positive out of it.

Kraco
Sun, 01-15-2017, 02:16 PM
The show would be a financial disaster with your scenario, MFauli. It might live on in the memories of anime watchers due to notoriety, but not otherwise.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-15-2017, 02:31 PM
@Mfauli - I was just kidding.

I think this is a shoujo manga story and will naturally fall into the same pit of predictability.

MFauli
Sun, 01-15-2017, 02:54 PM
The show would be a financial disaster with your scenario, MFauli. It might live on in the memories of anime watchers due to notoriety, but not otherwise.

Rubbish! It´d be more popular than Re:Zero if it followed my crazy-scenario :P

It´s not likely anyway lol. And if this is in the shoujo genre, then I guess we can rule out any murder occurring.

David75
Thu, 01-19-2017, 12:52 PM
EP2 is out

Lighter mood, but also firing from all angles.
I wonder if we'll get to watch stargate universe again, with everyone going with everyone, through proxies if needed...

Kraco
Thu, 01-19-2017, 05:52 PM
Even though that Ecchan's preferences could be seen from far away, but the last scene still surprised me. Maybe it's because I'm not so experienced with smut series, so I don't expect this kind of development, at least not so straightforwardly. Generally speaking I'm still liking the forlorn, escapistic atmosphere this show boasts. I didn't like the annoying girl, however, but it was nice how roughly Hanabi was treating her.

Strangely enough even though I should be wishing for those two to become a real couple and get over the impossible crushes, I feel like it would be sad to lose the hollow yet not hollow relationship they now share. The moment when one would shift their interest from the original one to the other, yet the other would still be looking at the original could be troublesome as well. There could be feelings of betrayal and rejection.

Still, how will Hanabi deal with this revealed ecchi Ecchan is a funny thing to look forward to. Logically she wouldn't be feeling too strongly that she's cheating on Mugi, since they aren't a real couple, but a homosexual attack must have come out of nowhere. Ironically enough she was just earlier saying she needs no other friends but Ecchan.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-20-2017, 05:33 AM
Still, how will Hanabi deal with this revealed ecchi Ecchan is a funny thing to look forward to.

"Training exercise. Isn't that the usual BS?"

MFauli
Fri, 01-20-2017, 11:49 AM
I kinda got lost when he said "Stick out your tongue" and she did. What was this episode about? :>

David75
Fri, 01-27-2017, 03:19 AM
EP3 is out.

Well, Erotic anime. I can't say I dislike that :D

I just hope that female teacher isn't a bitch as the evil face seems to hint.
Just being at ease having multiple partners would already lead to good intertwinned stories. No need to make a villain of her.

Kraco
Fri, 01-27-2017, 06:53 AM
I wonder if Narumi is the only character who's interested in a single person and not aware of others loving him. I wouldn't really have been able to say one way or another earlier, but I do know that I'm 100% unsurprised Akane is basically a two-timing woman, or let's say a person of such loose morals that she has no problems giving solid hope to someone while fooling around elsewhere at the same time. Hanabi seems to be the character with the most stable and realistic head on her shoulders. Mugi is kind of hopeless. As if he really believes in what he's doing with Hanabi is a good solution to anything.

I would hope Hanabi didn't lose Ecchan's friendship, but perhaps it's all over now.

David75
Fri, 01-27-2017, 07:26 AM
I think Hanabi will probably remain friends with Ecchan. She just had this flash-back when she said how awful it is tonbe the target of someone loving you when you have no such feelings for them. And then for Ecchan, I'm pretty sure she changed that to the heaviness she felt and how she's unsure. Being the loving target of someone close and you know is serious is very different than hypothetical situations.
Also, she didn't realise that her first statement is harsh against all lovers like her and Mugi for starters.

Kraco
Thu, 02-02-2017, 03:21 PM
Episode 4

- - - - - -

Damn. Akane is like 500% worse than I imagined. She's only interested in men as long as she's stealing them away from someone else. Once that has happened and she has seen the effects, she loses interest. Even simply swindling money from men would be better. I can't really compliment Ecchan either, for taking advantage of a crying girl just because she had an opportunity to do it and knows Hanabi wouldn't easily want to lose her as a friend. Perhaps the most sad part of the episode still was how Hanabi now likens herself to that vermin Akane.

The only one I feel sorry for is Mugi. He should learn and realise what kind of a disease Akane is. I don't really pity Narumi because so far he's looking annoyingly pure compared to the other characters who are all suffering or causing suffering. Or both.

David75
Thu, 02-02-2017, 04:10 PM
So that Akane teacher plays the bitch. She clearly has personality disorders, but causes more harm to others than what she feels...
Hanabi is a little too clever, understanding everyone around her but still taking hits and still torturing herself.
She's too empathic, works for beautiful feelings, but works too well for pain...

Kraco
Thu, 02-02-2017, 04:47 PM
Hanabi is a little too clever, understanding everyone around her but still taking hits and still torturing herself.
She's too empathic, works for beautiful feelings, but works too well for pain...

At least I wouldn't be watching this show if Hanabi wasn't empathetic, capable of proper emotions, and feeling gloomy under these circumstances. I couldn't watch a drama series with Akane as the MC.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-02-2017, 11:29 PM
Such a tiny story. I just feel that every climactic interaction is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. Blame Trump for that.

David75
Fri, 02-03-2017, 12:23 AM
Such a tiny story. I just feel that every climactic interaction is irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. Blame Trump for that.
Well, this is puberty discovering feelings and sex drama, what did you expect ?
I like it for the little over erotic moments, without falling into too graphic scenes.

Kraco
Fri, 02-10-2017, 01:37 PM
Episode 5

- - -- - -

Now in retrospect I don't anymore see why I thought Mugi wouldn't have known just as much as everybody else, apart from Narumi. Mugi's melancholy seemed like a good sign I just refused to see, I guess. He was just as much as Hanabi someone who had given up but pretended not to have. Narumi the Fool accidentally calling Akane Hana suggests the dude might also have secretly wanted Hanabi, but for obvious reasons rejects that choice for all eternity. It just might be an external motivation for him to try to catch Akane, against his better judgement, to have something instead in this show of insteads.

Mugi and Hanabi's relationship is pretty funny and theatric, but also sad.

MFauli
Fri, 02-10-2017, 05:52 PM
Mugi is an idiot for loving his teacher. That male teacher is, too. Both fell for that female teacher only because of her pretty looks. It´s obvious that they don´t know what kind of person she is. And she is the worst kind of cunt, really.

Last episode was kinda hentai much, I had to contemplate if I should keep reading the subtitles or undress my underpants ;/

Now that the female teacher is revealed to be such a bitch, I kinda don´t see a true happy end for this series anymore. Hanabi will end up with either the teacher or Mugi, but one of the guys will be left alone.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-10-2017, 11:55 PM
Or threesome.

MFauli
Sat, 02-18-2017, 10:01 AM
episode 6 is out
---------------------

So let me tell you my own life-long nice guy-story: I´be been in love with not many, but a couple girls. When I then gathered the rare courage to tell them that I like them, they´d tell me the typical "oh, you´re nice. But you´re not my type"-crap and stuff. Next I´d see the them making out with some asshole, one of those clichee assholes that bully others, that talk mean stuff all the time, and that treat their gf like a sub-human. Ofc, it always ends with these girls crying, because he cheats on them, because he hit them, because ... you name it. All the while a nice guy like myself (and not the fedora-wearing type of "nice guy") is left at the sidelines and watches in disbelief.

Which leads us to this latest episode of Kuzu no Honkai. I won´t believe that there has NEVER been a boy at her school that fell in love with her and tried to get closer to her. She´s cute, even hot, and, generally speaking, a good girl. So now, instead of accepting the genuine interest of any such guy, she was about the give her virginity to some random asshole who´s part of the fucked up "open relationship" circle of her bitch teacher. W - T - F.

That was extremely infuriating to watch. Not that I care about "shoujo", but in terms of who should get to bang her, this should be the ranking: 1.) Unknown guy from school who likes her, 2.) Mugi, 3.) Male Teacher, 4.) Raped on a public toilet by a homeless guy, 5.) that asshole from Akane-sensei´s fuck-circle.
Just ... have sex with anyone BUT that smug, all-too-confident asshole :/

And the episode ended with Mugi going down the same path, using that truly innocent childhood friend to fullfill his stupid desires.

God, this series is so upsetting.

Only positive: It´s all on track to follow the same fate as School Days. lol

David75
Sat, 02-18-2017, 10:40 AM
I understand how your filter influences your statement.
But what I see are only people who feel lost, insecure and try anything to fill some kind of emptiness or try to fight some fear by manipulating themselves and others.

As for young women behavior, that generalizing, but globally someone sure of themselves and assertive will score easier of course. Not only because of their attitude, but also because this is a bonus in your partners eyes. They probably aren't too sure of themselves and not too assertive, so it's kinda reassuring to them. There's probably an alpha-male factor in the score too.

At some point, understanding the other is very important too. They probably fear the same things you do. What you're willing to do to relieve their fears is key to success... And if you can't, it's possible they were in fact not the right person for you.

Regarding that anime, I like how everyone is so fragile and is ready to get out of their "I'm a good human" confort zone.
And somehow my libido likes that show :D

MFauli
Sat, 02-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Nothing you said is wrong, but it´s exactly this alpha-male bs that is so dumb, because you see these relationships ending badly so often times. It´s especially annoying since there is this documented behavior with women that are past their 30th birthday that suddenly grow aware of their fading desirability and change from targeting assholes to looking for those neat guys they rejected in their younger days. All of this is so common that it´s very frustrating for someone who´s not ... an asshole ;/

Regarding fragility, it would be nice, if it wasn´t all leading to the most fucked up developments :D I´ll honestly be surprised if the show ends without murder or at least attempted murder. Too many idiots ;)

David75
Sat, 02-18-2017, 12:13 PM
The murder endings are a little stereotypical of US stories.
Someone bothers you, do not discuss, kill them
They messed with you, kill them
Shoot first, then talk...

The stereotype in Japan is more inclined towards suicide... And I think it really fits the atmosphere we've had till now.

But murder or suicide, that would be lacking.

They are all cowards and fear pain, but also anything too strong. Everything is in shades and nothing is too violent or strong.
I might be wrong, but the end probably will be like that, shades of mellow emotions.

As for the alpha evolution, well you either wait or date older women who know themselves and what they want... If they are not married or with children already...
Or find the ones that are not in the stereotype.

MFauli
Sat, 02-18-2017, 01:02 PM
Tbh I´d really dislike a "mellow ending of shades". I want a proper finale, an escalation of things. A clear cut ending point. It´d suck if this anime ended with ... everyone talking to each other, some crying, and then they go on with life as if nothing happened. Not saying that would be unrealistic ... but it wouldn´t be interesting to watch imo.

As for the last paragraph ... yeah, those non-stereotype women are the ones to find. They´re rare, though. And even when you find one, they´re tough to crack ;>

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-19-2017, 08:21 AM
But what I see are only people who feel lost, insecure and try anything to fill some kind of emptiness or try to fight some fear by manipulating themselves and others.

Allow me to introduce: Borderline personality disorder.

I'm enjoying this show. The ecchi is always entertaining, as is seeing everyone tangle each other up in their mess. It's like some Ponzi scheme that is due to fail, with the participants staying afloat by dragging other people along into their game.

It's not right, but I can't wait to see how long it'll go for before things fall apart.

As for the last paragraph ... yeah, those non-stereotype women are the ones to find. They´re rare, though. And even when you find one, they´re taken

Fixed.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-19-2017, 11:49 AM
BPD sums this entire show up. The problem is everyone has it, making it quite predictable. At this point, the only innocent party is the male teacher. Everyone else is just scum, including Moka.

MFauli
Sun, 02-19-2017, 12:03 PM
I wouldn´t call the male teacher innocent. He´s shallow enough to fall for Akane´s looks, because it´s most obvious that he has no idea about her real persona and apparently doesn´t do anything to find out more about her, because he´s content with shallow talks and lots of embarrassed "noone talks, just staring at each other" sessions.

He´s the least terrible person-te iu kamo na ....

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Wait, how is being dumb enough to be fooled not being innocent? That's what being innocent is.

Also, being dense doesn't make you a bad person.

MFauli
Sun, 02-19-2017, 12:19 PM
Being shallow makes you a bad person.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-19-2017, 04:26 PM
No it doesn't lol. It's not like you are hurting anyone by being shallow, except yourself maybe. It is not an admirable quality, but neither does it qualify to make anyone bad.

Take note that it isn't his shallowness that is hurting the main girl. It is her unrequited love that's hurting her. He absolutely has no obligation to respond or change his behavior due to her feelings.

Moreover, how do you know he is shallow? The woman acts nicely around him, intentionally so. He has no idea she is a bitchy whore. If he knew but still did not care, then that would make him shallow, like Mugi is.

MFauli
Sun, 02-19-2017, 05:23 PM
If he had any meaningful conversation with her, she wouldn´t be able to hide her true persona. That´s my point.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-19-2017, 05:28 PM
You're talking about a clash between a master manipulator versus an honest yet stupid nice guy, and you're betting on the dude?

You shouldn't gamble lol.

MFauli
Mon, 02-20-2017, 05:26 AM
At some point, being stupid becomes a liability and thus makes you a bad person.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 02-20-2017, 05:38 AM
When we say "bad", we mean malicious.

When you (MFauli) say "bad", you mean unhelpful.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-23-2017, 09:03 PM
Episode 07

----------------------

Will the reveal be next episode? Assuming a 12 episode run, I'd expect that to be more at episode 10 or 11. Based on that timing, something else should happen...

... like.. Akane now being bored with Narumi and hunts for Mugi. That would really throw a spanner in the works since that sets up for (what the MCs think) is the ideal paring: Akane + Mugi, and Hanabi + Narumi (now available). Naturally I'm all for Mugi x Hanabi. Props to the VAs for making their convos sound completely chill.

MFauli
Fri, 02-24-2017, 03:49 PM
I have no idea what Hanabi is doing. WHY is she spending time with this asshole? Which, btw, makes her an asshole, too. She loves the teacher, makes out with Mugi, and meets with a random guy who fucks her teacher. Oooookay. :|

shinta must have been happy this week, so much naked loli, lol.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-24-2017, 05:39 PM
What naked loli? That wasn't a loli. But there was lots of waki, so yes, I am happy.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-24-2017, 09:23 PM
I have no idea what Hanabi is doing. WHY is she spending time with this asshole? Which, btw, makes her an asshole, too. She loves the teacher, makes out with Mugi, and meets with a random guy who fucks her teacher. Oooookay. :|

shinta must have been happy this week, so much naked loli, lol.

She has no idea what she's doing. She's trying anything to fill her void. Earlier that meant dating Mugi. Then it was being sexually comforted by Ecchan, followed by getting sexual attention from one of Akane's ex. Next up she's just going to confess and get it off her chest so she can move on.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-27-2017, 04:08 AM
Episode 11

--------------------

I don't think Akane deserves Sensei. Still, I can't hate her. She's as confused and lost as the other 16yo she's teaching. She's just way better at leveraging her assets (good looks). It's odd that I'm actually somewhat happy for her, while I'm more pissed about how Mugi will now fall back to Hanabi.

MFauli
Mon, 03-27-2017, 07:02 AM
No sympathy for bitch sensei.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Mugi X Hanabi is not good. I hate Hanabi, that little shit.

MFauli
Mon, 03-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Only couple I care for is that shy guy and the red-head lesbian. Always makes me deeply happy when a guy manages to get himself the ultimate love interest: the unreachable hot lesbian!

;P

Buffalobiian
Fri, 03-31-2017, 01:34 PM
HS - Episode 12 (END)

--------------------------------

This ending is more mature than I expected, with Hanabi moving on and not seeking Mugi. There's a sense of character growth for most of the cast. The first third of this ep felt detached, but it's conclusive. And that's good.

MFauli
Fri, 03-31-2017, 04:04 PM
Fucking around with students before realizing that love is better isnt my definition of "mature". Or if it is, "mature" sucks. The male teacher is the biggest cuck in anime history, but I guess I just dont see the concept of open relationships working out.

The latter half of the series was more interesting than the first, but there´s still a fundamental disagreeance between me and this anime´ values.

That childhood friend getting lesbian Ecchan is hot, though :>

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-01-2017, 11:38 AM
Fucking around with students before realizing that love is better isnt my definition of "mature"

I'm specifically talking about Mugi/Hanabi's resolution, but upon consideration I'd also call Akane's resolution mature as well, relatively speaking.