PDA

View Full Version : Chaos;Child

MFauli
Sat, 01-14-2017, 09:40 AM

ChäoS;Child takes place in October 2015, six years after the events of ChäoS;HEAd. Abnormal events begin to occur in Shibuya district, including mysterious deaths.

episode 1 is out
---------------------

So, apparently everybody hates Chaos;Head and I donīt know why. So thatīs that lol. Iīm actually inmidst of a rewatch of Chaos;Head, up to episode 6, and Iīm really enjoying it. I like it back then, but I mostly forgot about it, so I wanted to see if I still like it. Yes, I do. Although I remember that itīs weaker towards the end, so maybe Iīll experience that, too. Anyway.

First of all: The "recap" episode before the real episode 1 of Chaos;Child is useless. If you havenīt seen Chaos;Head, do NOT rely on this recap to catch up with things. I strongly recommend watching Chaos;Head, not only because itīs a good anime in itself, but because it establishes lots of terms and concepts that are casually used in Chaos;Child. Also, Chaos;Child is a most direct sequel to Chaos;Child, it really makes no sense not to watch Chaos;Head. Imagine watching only the last volume of Lord of the Rings. Makes no sense.

On to episode 1: Itīs completely different in terms of setup. Chaos;Head was about one poor, broken guy, who kept clinging to his delusions. For anybody who didnīt like Nishijou Takumi, this was a hard show to follow, because heīs middle and center of all things.
Not so in Chaos;Child: Here we have whole group of "heroes", akin to Steins;Gate. Itīs instantly intriguing because all the events of the first anime are used as a backdrop for the events unfolding in front of the heroes eyes in Chaos;Child. Just that this time we have a "sane" group of people, so itīs probably more relatable for most of the audience.
Canīt say much about the plot from ep 1, but it was certainly interesting and production values appear to be quite high, too. Also, itīs instantly 100 times better than Occultic;Nine already, so letīs just forget about that disappointment of last season.

Definitely my favorite "high concept"-anime of the season so far.

MFauli
Fri, 01-20-2017, 07:41 PM
episode 2 is out
------------------

Wow, so it looks like everybody but me really hated Chaos;Head and isnīt watching this, eh? :D

All I can say is that Chaos;Child is a very different show than its predecessor. Itīs group-focused instead of centering around a single, crazy otaku. And it has a really nice pace, unlike Occultic;Nine, which kept throwing stuff at your without ever pausing. The hero, who is voiced by Kirito, is a bit too quiet as of now, but thereīs potential.

Only downside is the generic artstyle. Itīs modern in terms of animation and music, unlike Chaos;Head, which is a bit hard to watch in that regard. But it has this very, very typical "anime-style", you know, whe normies complain about something "looking anime", thatīs the style they refer to. Iīd wish this had Steins;Gateīs expressive, unique art. Oh well.

The anime does a good job at building on the introduced mystery, heavily relying on the events of Chaos;Head. I wonder if Takumi Shouji will make an entrance eventually.

The ending of this episode really got me surprise. Itīs not even that gruesome, compared to lots of other anime. But the way it happens out of nowhere and is presented so realistically, ... yeah, well done.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 01-22-2017, 08:07 PM
I did like Chaos;Head. It's been a long time since I've last seen that though. I usually pick up other shows after a few episodes come out so I can watch a few in a row to see if I really like it or not. But I take it this one is good?

MFauli
Mon, 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM
But I take it this one is good?

If you liked Chaos;Head and liked Steins;Gate, you absolutely should like this one. Especially if your were gravely disappointed about Occultic;Nine, too.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 01-24-2017, 01:47 AM
Never watched the last two to be honest. I know, it's a sin to not have watched Steins;Gate according to some. So I should do that some times.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-25-2017, 10:35 AM
Episode 7.

WTF.

MFauli
Sat, 02-25-2017, 12:33 PM
Box-sister was nice.

This anime is much better than Occultic;Nine, but itīs too generic in ... just about everything. Its biggest fault is that the main characters had no agenda on their own (until this latest episode). Takuru could have just stopped investigating that story for his shitty school newspaper and their lifes would have went on without any drama.