PDA

View Full Version : ACCA 13-ku Kansatsu-ka

Kraco
Tue, 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM
http://i.imgur.com/yJYmxpg.jpg

"The kingdom of Dowa, which is subdivided into 13 states, is celebrating its monarch's 99th birthday. These 13 states have many agencies that are controlled by the giant organization known as ACCA. Within ACCA, Jean Otis is the second-in-command of the inspection agency. His agency has ten people placed in each of the 13 states, with a central office in the capital city. They keep track of all the activities of ACCA across the kingdom, and keep data on each state's ACCA office flowing toward the central office. Jean also often has business trips from the capital to the other districts to check on the situation and personnel there." -MAL

Genres: Manga, seinen, gestapo
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=12136) | ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=18461)

- - - - - - - - - -

This is the most seinen show this season, no doubt. It's about adult people only, by the looks of it, and there are no lolis, hot-headed youths, or other such things. There are just officials doing their daily work in the mid or higher hierarchy of the country, occasionally meeting those somewhat lower. Black uniforms, of course, go without saying.

The original author is the same as House of Five Leaves', which is something you can notice. It's hard to say anything too concrete about the show so far, but it's definitely different from most of the offerings. That alone makes this somewhat interesting. So far I'm expecting a good ride, even if the lighter scene makes me a bit worried. That would be too simple a plot element for the most obvious use. I'll just trust the author for now.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 01-10-2017, 10:29 PM
Reading that summary... why would I want to watch this show?
"There's a guy that works for a big organization. He goes around and does his job."

I mean, I'll watch episode one, but that is not inspiring any kind of confidence.

neflight86
Wed, 01-11-2017, 01:12 AM
Haven't watched it yet, but I read it was going to go the political subterfuge route...

Kraco
Wed, 01-11-2017, 01:20 AM
Reading that summary... why would I want to watch this show?
"There's a guy that works for a big organization. He goes around and does his job."

I mean, I'll watch episode one, but that is not inspiring any kind of confidence.

I know what you mean, and while I can't really strongly recommend this after a single episode, the truth is that we all have watched an endless number of "there's a guy/girl that goes to high school and studies" shows. Usually something happens in those shows, and so does in this show as well. The first episode already did give some signs of bigger things and trouble under the calm front.

neflight86
Thu, 01-12-2017, 01:38 PM
After the first episode, I'm causiously optimistic that this could be an interesting story. Animation was stark, but sparce. All will be decided on the speed of plot development, I'm willing to wager.

Only thing I didn't really care for was the obvious foil character the policeman is shaping up to be, but even that was subdued enough to not be grating.

Kraco
Wed, 01-18-2017, 05:13 PM
Episode 2

- - - - -- -

As expected, the second episode made things far more complicated. The lighter stealing dude was such a small fry he never had a chance. I do wonder, however, if he eventually has a role to play. If he's half-stalking the sister, he might notice something eventually, by accident.

Edort4
Fri, 01-20-2017, 06:26 PM
Im a bit lost right now but this is by far the best series this season for me. It was pretty clear who Crow was but that part about the 30 years really got me. Adding that to the free tabacco I believe that is clear that Jean is someone special. Seeing how they mentioned things about kings coming from nowhere I'm gonna guess he is royal family somehow.

David75
Sat, 01-21-2017, 02:42 PM
It's possible that they won't get a coup d'état, but a new king instead.
And I see Jean as a perfect candidate.
Somehow, I made a relation to a possible abdication fom Akihito-like it's not a total coincidence we have such a story now- and all the details about Jean and his situation:
-all the benefits of a carefree life, even luxuries, surveillance from a spy from a young age, and somehow a life where he can't really choose his path.
On a personal level, he's smart and can manipulate people in a good way.
Somehow visiting all the regions in a short time and getting first hand data on how they fare is also very useful as a king candidate... As it is of course if you plan a coup d'état.

But as usual, I might be wrong.

neflight86
Wed, 01-25-2017, 01:29 AM
EP 3

The way they animated the last scene (wind fluttering over Jean's jacket as he's told everyone thinks he's leading the coup), I somehow expected Jean to kill the chief on the balcony or something proving he was involved in the coup, even though it would have made little sense. The rising tension of the music and animation got my imagination going...

Edort4
Thu, 01-26-2017, 05:27 PM
Jean is not "involved" in the coup. There is/was no coup. Jean made those rumours go from branch to branch in order for this to happen. Now he is making allies, contacts, creating unrest and dividing the 5 chiefs, royals and eveyrone in order to throw down the system. Thus making a coup.

I get the feeling that Jean hates this "order" everyone talks about. His smoking is a sign of freedom and the only thing that gives away how he is against those rules and "order". I still think he is royal family somehow, maybe he is a descendant of a previous king, if there has been any change in the royal line or even from before the unification when there were countries.

Funny thing is that Grossular is actually loyal, a "patriot", to ACCA and its system and Jean is making it look like he is the bad one with a hidden agenda and trying to overthrow the system. Love it.

Kraco
Fri, 01-27-2017, 07:28 AM
I'm not sure I'd go that far yet, but most certainly Jean can't be as oblivious and an unwitting tool as some might suggest he is. He's too smart for that. Still, there are a number of factions playing the same game, even the idiot prince who would simply get rid of the whole ACCA. Even from a more down to Earth point of view high officials will always do anything to keep themselves needed by the nation, even if it's not as outrageous as a coup. When bureaucracy gets old and strong enough, it starts to live for its own sake, not for the sake of the nation and the citizens.

David75
Fri, 01-27-2017, 07:47 AM
Just a dumb idea, but would it be possible the next ruler is a queen... And she's Jean's sister ?