PDA

View Full Version : Masamune-kun no Revenge

MFauli
Sun, 01-08-2017, 02:16 PM

As a child, Masamune Makabe once suffered greatly at the hands of a wealthy and beautiful girl named Aki Adagaki, who nicknamed him "Piggy" due to his chubby appearance. Seeking revenge against his tormentor, Masamune works hard to improve himself and returns as an incredibly handsome, albeit narcissistic, high school student. When he encounters Aki once again, he is prepared to exact vengeance.

With the aid of the rich girl's maid, Yoshino Koiwai, Masamune slowly begins to build his relationship with Aki, intending to break her heart when the time is right. However, as his friendship with Aki begins to grow, Masamune starts to question the objectives of his devious plans, and if bringing them to fruition is what his heart truly desires.

episode 1 is out
---------------------

I enjoyed the first episode greatly. Every scene where Masamune interacts with random girls was hilarious, especially the scene with the tennis girls, lol.
I read the first couple chapters of the manga some time back and remembered that I didnt like how the whole goal of the hero eventually gets lost, but maybe the anime does a better job at keeping it exciting.

The concept is certainly very nice.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-08-2017, 06:42 PM
I like it too, I'd like to have MC having the upper hand from time to time. Basically in a similar fashion to what we saw when he stopped the dude with the scissors. Would suck if he gets pushed around 24/7.

The worst thing would be if he somehow loses his popular status for no real reason.

Kraco
Mon, 01-09-2017, 01:16 PM
I thought the beginning was interesting and promising, with the dude apparently having worked really hard for years to become a different person. The title also mentions revenge. However, when the story properly launched, it turned out he's not a different person inside, only outside. Maybe he's even worse off inside than he used to be. He's basically a loser residing in a winner's body. Every time he passively wins, he's amazed and surprised. Yet, when he needs to do something actively, his miserable personality gets in the way. Like getting scared by the bloody spider like a little girl, ruining his plan. That's where I dropped the show, judging it a good indication of what's to come.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-09-2017, 03:16 PM
Well, he did get a win by the end of episode one.

Kraco
Mon, 01-09-2017, 04:01 PM
Well, he did get a win by the end of episode one.

It's not guaranteed I won't give this another go, but I'd prefer him to win using his own smarts and willpower (and the trained body), not plot powered luck.

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-10-2017, 04:36 PM
He's basically a loser residing in a winner's body. Every time he passively wins, he's amazed and surprised. Yet, when he needs to do something actively, his miserable personality gets in the way. Like getting scared by the bloody spider like a little girl, ruining his plan. That's where I dropped the show, judging it a good indication of what's to come.

Eh... extremely premature imho.

I mean, isn't this just supposed to show that he's not that "cool and smart and super nice" on the inside, but actually a normal person that does this to benefit from it?

Wouldn't it be extremely boring and generic otherwise? He'd just be that typical "super hot and nice" guy every school anime has. (you know, the dude that plays soccer and is always nice to the girls and breaking up fights and shit).
At least up until now, he's actually "winning" throughout the full episode, there is basically no moment other than that note at the end that shows him "losing".
And knowing that he's doing it on purpose is actually what makes it more fun to watch.... because we all hate that "nice dude" who gets all the girls by doing nothing, d-don't we?

How was Hikki's "archnemesis" called again? That blonde dude (who actually has something more sinister going on). Though that guy is at least remotely truely "kind", while MC in this show, so far, is actually doing this only and truely for his own benefit. Pretty similar to that show 1 or 2 seasons ago where kids would get some superpowers (invisible girl, body switching MC, timetravel etc.etc. forgot the name).
I mean, it's rather obvious that, just like that dude from the show 2 seasons ago, he will eventually turn out to be truely kind etc., but at least there is hope that it will last a little longer than what we had to witness during that other show (1 episode of him being super arrogant/abusive/manipulating and then 180° turn to a really tame and nice guy)

Kraco
Tue, 01-10-2017, 04:46 PM
I wanted him to bitterly seek revenge. Basically look like the fit guy on the outside, like he does, but be also different inside. I didn't expect or want him to be the perfect gentleman/hero. A person seeking vengeance is flawed. He could have failed very well because of that as many times as it takes. Now it's just strange that he spent years perfecting his body and building willpower after getting bullied as a fat person (because he was a glutton before), yet he's somehow still the same meek dude he used to be. He should have been a quarter Lelouch, and I'd have been satisfied.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-10-2017, 05:35 PM
Bodies are easier to change than personalities.

KrayZ33
Tue, 01-10-2017, 06:00 PM
I wanted him to bitterly seek revenge. Basically look like the fit guy on the outside, like he does, but be also different inside. I didn't expect or want him to be the perfect gentleman/hero. A person seeking vengeance is flawed. He could have failed very well because of that as many times as it takes. Now it's just strange that he spent years perfecting his body and building willpower after getting bullied as a fat person (because he was a glutton before), yet he's somehow still the same meek dude he used to be. He should have been a quarter Lelouch, and I'd have been satisfied.

But.. isn't that what he's doing?
He's trying to seduce her and dump her. I mean, at least he says so, the sneak peak of course tells us that he'll fall for her for real at some point, but right now. He wants to impress her and be nice to her, so that she can't help herself and trust/like him, then later love him, and when they are about to come together he wants to tell her the same thing she said to him:

"who'd want to be together with someone like you, Big Ben stomach-chan".

The spider scene didn't prevent him from getting the upper hand, it actually made it possible for him to approach her, at least he thinks so. The only reason why he knows about her big appitite is because he saw everything up close and heard her stomach. And he's not making fun of it, or telling anyone about it because first, it's not that believable in the first place and more importantly, knowing it, but not taking advantage of it will make him look like the good guy in front of her.

I mean, it's not like he hates humanity, everything and everyone. His hate is more or less directed only towards that one girl, he might've read lots of shoujo mangas as reference to what type of guy is cool/preferred in the eyes of a girl etc.. I thought it was pretty obvious that his "everyones favorite"-attitude is just an act tbh. Training, so to say.

For example to me, it looked like he didn't go to Tanabe to make up with him, but to make it interesting for the girls... so, that's really not a nice thing to do and pretty much tells me that he's scheming and playing around.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 01-11-2017, 04:59 AM
Very disappointed that she already figured out it was him. I feel like that basically ruins the whole comedic setup.

MFauli
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:00 AM
Very disappointed that she already figured out it was him. I feel like that basically ruins the whole comedic setup.

That was part of what made me quit reading the manga. Without posting spoilers (I cant remember any details anyway, and I probably only read the manga-equivalent of like 3-4 episodes), the premise of the series is "fat guy loses weight to take revenge on hot girls who made fun of and rejected him in the past". Thatīs the entire draw. And then they reveal his identity to her in episode one, meh.

i really hope we get more story development where Masamune can actually take revenge. Thatīs kinda what makes this anime interesting.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:11 AM
What makes you think it was the rich bitch who figured it out? I'm more inclined to think it's the booby maid, who seems to glance at the hero several times so far.

David75
Wed, 01-11-2017, 12:35 PM
I also thought that it might not be the same person who wrote that to Masamune. But since it's almost impossible to get that nickname by chance/accident, it has to be someone he knew when he was was and who knew about the nickname.

As for revenge... Well for the moment he's only having or wanting a revenge towards himself at the time, I mean the fatso one.
And somehow, it's possible the girl had interrest in the fatso...
Since I'm pretty sure today's Masamune isn't very different from fatso Masamune, his love for the girl should overcome his cheap revenge should the girl fall in love with him.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-11-2017, 12:46 PM
That sucks. I want the stuck up bitch to get her just desserts. There's no way to excuse hurting people's hearts like that. Having a bad past or whatever means nothing.

MFauli
Wed, 01-11-2017, 12:52 PM
Iīd also prefer if actual revenge takes place. They can fall in love with each other AFTERWARDS. ;>

btw just for clarification: I have no idea who that note is from, I really forgot such details :D So donīt feel spoiled by my previous comment.

David75
Wed, 01-11-2017, 01:30 PM
Oh that doesn't mean she won't get her punishment in some form or some other.
It's just I've been some kind of Masamune, both the fatso kid and handsome young adult and have seen what happens to some of the crushes I had when I was in fatso mode. (Then I had a working fatso mode for a little over 10 years... And now I'm back to a nice shape...)
Believe me, young crushes should remain a beautiful memory of the past. It's incredible how a beautiful female teen can turn into a largely below the average looking woman.
Love is a thing of the present. Live it while it's there. Fuel it everyday. As soon as it goes into the past, it really should remain there.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 01-11-2017, 10:03 PM
I guess it's possible it is someone else. Given what we've seen though, it would be a bit strange for anyone else to know the name she called him there.
If they'd shown a flashback scene of people calling him that name at school or even just an internal line from him about how people called him that afterwards, it would make more sense that there could be another person.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-12-2017, 12:15 AM
The booby maid is like a personal assistant. It's entirely possible she was around at a young age.

MFauli
Thu, 01-12-2017, 01:06 PM
episode 2 is out
----------------

good episode. Masamune made his first ally. But .. feel like he ruined his reputation when he shouted back at Adagaki "donīt screw with me!" cross the entire school with lots of students present. Itīs one thing to experience a single loss, itīs another to make it public. Maybe itīs not important comes next episode, dunno.

And meh, Iīd handled declining the class rep differently. His plan is to take revenge on Adagaki, he has no intention to really be in love with her. Which means a girl like the class rep is a possible serious love candidate. Should have told her something like "Thereīs something important I have to do. Youīre cute and if the chance arises next year ... meaybe ... *stares into her eyes*". Outright declining her is just killing of the chance at a hot girl. Hotter than Adagaki, whoīs entirely flat ;P

David75
Thu, 01-12-2017, 05:11 PM
As if you could ask a girl experiencing her first feelings of love to wait a whole year for you.
Masamune is still one hundred percent fixed on Adagaki. He's not open to love coming from someone else.
He'd rather live his hate/revenge, as it's the only link he has to Adagaki.
But like his first love turned into hate on a single event, it's possible he can as easily switch back to love.

Regarding Adagaki, I wonder if she had her habit of violently turning down guys before she first did with Masamune.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-13-2017, 03:54 AM
I'm finally ready to drop this after watching episode 02. The concept is attractive, but the MC is a loser and his target is a bitch. The only interesting thing now is that the Maid is secretly hating on Princess - but that's not enough.

The MC's outbursts are pathetic.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-15-2017, 07:14 PM
This is pretty cool, I'm super interested.

I hope Adagaki is getting some of her own medicine in one form or the other, even if it's only for a short time.
And I also hope that MC learned his lesson about this "bitch" from what happened in Ep2.

I think it was a little too easy to tell (even for the MC) that she was just messing with him. They could've made it a little less obvious imho.
Even something as minor as blushing would do it after what happened earlier in the shed. I kinda dislike the fact that she has the upper hand now. m'Hoping he'll get it back in EP3 and it'd be kinda cool if they reverse it back and forth every other episode or so.

MFauli
Thu, 01-19-2017, 02:24 PM
episode 3 is out
------------------

Hm, one could say both of them are making progress. Adagaki kinda slowly has Masamune fall in love with her for real. But on the contrary, Masamune also manages to get closer to her, which was his goal from the beginning.

I have no idea whatīs going to happen, just please spare me the super predictable "they both fall in love with each other, yet Masamune forces himself to do what he intended to do and publicly shames Adagaki. Then instantly feels bad for it. Runs after her, they make up with each other, lovey-dovey. The end.

Anything but that.

MFauli
Thu, 02-02-2017, 07:30 PM
episode 5 is out
--------------------

Making some real progress. I wonder where that girl really met Masamune. Maybe she liked his fat version?

Seeing Adagaki act like an idiot was nice, too.

Now ... the plot just needs to focus

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-05-2017, 05:33 AM
The girl only researched him and jumped in to screw with Adagaki. It's a rich family thing.

MFauli
Thu, 02-23-2017, 10:32 PM
episode 8 is out
--------------------

Didnīt expect them to go full-Kuzu no Honkai. Kissing the non-heroine, omg, what are you doing, Masamune! Although Iīve gotta admit: At that point in the bed, Iīd have eaten up those boobs, hot damn. (sorry for "whomever" might read that, just being honest :P).

But itīs probably a good way to force Adagaki to reveal her real feelings, assuming sheīs got any towards Masamune.

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-25-2017, 09:38 PM
I expected a better ending than that.

The least they could've done is smack that fatty.
The show itself wasn't that bad... it was actually pretty good compared to shows with a very similar setting, but this "please read the manga if you want this to make sense" kind of ending is pissing me off

Shadow Skill
Sat, 03-25-2017, 10:31 PM
I expected a better ending than that.

The least they could've done is smack that fatty.
The show itself wasn't that bad... it was actually pretty good compared to shows with a very similar setting, but this "please read the manga if you want this to make sense" kind of ending is pissing me off

It ended? wtf, it ends without making any sense? Wow... why are they doing this with anime lately?

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-26-2017, 03:47 AM
When I watched this, I expected some kind of dramatic revelation at the end.

But none of that happened, which is odd because I thought the point/plot of the series was supposed to build up for a dramatic ending.

"Why did you play with me?!" - "Because you did the same thing with me in the past!" Yada yada etc. etc. MC feels bad for doing it, regrets doing it and so on and so forth.

MFauli
Sun, 03-26-2017, 04:41 AM
Um, I assumed that a season 2 was a given? If not, that makes the ending significantly worse for me, yeah :(

What I found odd: So Makabe becomes the savior for playing the prince in the other classī play. BUT: There would be no problem to begin with, had his companion not kidnapped fat-Makabe earlier! So in terms of numbers, he went from 0 to -1, back to 0. With a slight leaning to still -1, because he did all he did KNOWING what was done to fat-Makabe. Not that much of a savior.

KrayZ33
Sun, 03-26-2017, 06:09 AM
he had nothing to do with it and he was kidnapped himself. He didn't know where the fat-fake was either.