PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Winter Anime 2016 - Letīs revive this forum!!1

MFauli
Fri, 12-16-2016, 06:41 PM
Well, as the title implies, itīs been awefully quiet in here for a while. Maybe the next season can change that with better anime? Who knows. It was always bound to be a worse season without any proper loli waki for shinta. And there wasnīt a show where I could have a controverse contrarian opinion either.

Hereīs the overview for the upcoming Winter season:

http://anichart.net/winter

---------------------------
---------------------------

Series that Iīm interested in:

- Akibaīs Trip - tbh this looks rather cheap. But I LOVED the PSVita-game, finished it on every route and every difficulty. Gotta give this anime a try.
- Chaos; Child (Is this also from the Robotics-, Steinsgate- author? Anyway, Chaos; Head is one of my favorite anime and this sounds intriguing. Maybe my most wanted of the season)
- Fuuka (a love triangle, eh? Itīs been quite a while since I watched a romantic anime, so Iīm in the mood for this)
- Gintama (if thereīs new Gintama, I will watch it)
- KonoSuba S2 (sigh, oh well, Iīll watch it. This anime would be so much fun if the hero just got to bang at least ONE of the girls. But no, another case of eternal blue balls. Whatever. Maybe the story will get somewhere this time. And more Megumin is always okay)
- Masamune-kun no Revenge (I started reading this manga because of the interesting plot (YES BECAUSE I CAN SOMEWHAT RELATE, BLAH!!!), but I only remember that it fell rather flat in terms of its premise. Maybe the anime does a better job)
- Seiren (there is no plot description, but the artstyle on the poster alone looks quality. Will give ep1 a try)

Thatīs it for "new" anime. Will of course continue watching Iron-Blooded Orphans. I also need to watch All-Out!, heard it turned out great after the rather lame first episode. And I completely forgot about San-Gatsu no Lion.

My most wanted for 2017 continue to be the BLAME!-movie and Evangelion 4.0

EDIT: Fuck the world. Itīs "Winter 2017" of course. Some mod pls change it ;>

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-16-2016, 07:49 PM
Kuzu no Honkai sparks my interest, along with Masamune-Kun. Hopefully Kuzu actually has real drama.

Granblue Fantasy - just to see what it's all about. Bahamut was a pretty good adaptation, so here's hoping.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 12-16-2016, 10:40 PM
The current season was actually quite good, with maybe 7-8 great shows depending on your tastes. Unfortunately, I've just been behind on most things with my anime buddy, so I won't go looking at forum posts.

For this coming Winter, I can't say I'm super excited just looking at the lineup:

-----------------------------------------

I also liked the Akiba's Strip game, but I am not confident Gonzo can deliver a good anime.

Chaos;Child, I'm a little down on 5pb after Robotics;Notes and Occultic;Nine being pretty meh. I don't remember Chaos;Head being that amazing either, so my expectations are kind of low.

Demi-chan should be cute. I read the manga.

Granblue sounds like trash, but it has A-1 behind it so at least it won't look awful. After Bahamut turning out good, I'll give anything a shot.

Kyoto's running a slice-of-life comedy with a dragon maid? I'll watch it, but expectations are not high with that setup.

Definitely in on Konosuba 2. Let's get some more Megumin.

Little Witch, I would be more excited if the 2nd movie wasn't kind of horrible. Maybe with a show they'll have more time to actually make it interesting.

Rakugo 2 - totally in for this one. Rakugo was great last time.

Tales 2 - ufotable is drawing something, I'll be there.

Youjo Senki - Yuuki Aoi as an evil-looking youjo military commander? This sounds great.

---------------------------------------

That's it for new stuff (though continuing we really only have Sangatsu and Gundam that are worth keeping up with).
Anything I didn't mention I have very low expectations for, but of course I always try to watch just about everything.

I'll be sorely missing not getting more of Ajin, FlipFlappers, Girlish, Eupho, Izetta, Keijo, Mahou Keikaku, and Yuri On Ice.

David75
Sat, 12-17-2016, 01:29 AM
Well, I had to drop gundam, Izetta and other supposedly great shows because I can't stand some forms of violence and because they were becoming noisy and took too much of a toll on my very low vital energy...
Rakugo 2 should be nice
konosuba if they can keep the good jokes and maintain a minimum visual quality level
Yowamushi, why not

Edort4
Sat, 12-17-2016, 03:49 AM
With each passing day I have less free (alone) time and its getting pretty expensive to catch my attention even for a 20 minutes per week series. Last season no show made it past ep 4 even when I had high hopes for a couple of them.

This time I will set my bar low. Right now from that chart only curious about Onihei & Acca.

MFauli
Sat, 12-17-2016, 01:00 PM
@Edort, have you tried watching Ajin? A lot of people are dismissing it because of the animation stye, but itīs really the most amazing, mature, well-handled story right now. And it has the best villain in a long time, while also featuring an interesting hero. Iīd definitely agree that anime with truly great stories are rare currently, but Ajin is definitely an exception here. If you can get over the "itīs computer graphics, ew".

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-17-2016, 02:15 PM
Konosuba of course
also interested in "Masamune-kun no Revenge"
Gran Blue
and most of all Little Witch Academia.

Current season was horrible for me, I'm only watching Gundam.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Fuck yeah Konosuba!

Kraco
Sun, 12-18-2016, 12:41 PM
For me sure bets are (in addition to a couple of continuations from this season):

Demi-chan - I've read what's out of the manga and it's nice.
Konosuba 2 - Explosion!
Tales of Zestiria 2 - For whatever reason I liked it quite a lot.
Rewrite 2 - The anime wasn't that good, but whatever. Gotta finish it.

Will at least check out:

Granblue Fantasy - Maybe it's similar to Zestiria...
Little Witch Academia

And some others, most likely.

lelouch
Mon, 12-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Every season I tell myself, "Next season will be better. Next season will finally have at least one really good anime again".

Rarely does this ever happen.

:(

Make Anime Great Again plz

MFauli
Mon, 12-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Every season I tell myself, "Next season will be better. Next season will finally have at least one really good anime again".

Rarely does this ever happen.

:(

Make Anime Great Again plz

I know that feeling. However I have learned that those seasons without an obvious hit-candidate more often deliver a bunch of unexpected gems. I remember how last season everybody was stoked for Kabaneri. And it turned out to be a piece of shit, leaving us with Re Zero ... which turned out to be really good.

I have almost no idea about most of those anime of this upcoming season, but thatīs why the potential for unexpected greatness is so high.

Just be more open and watch lots of "episode 1"s to see whatīs promising.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 12-19-2016, 02:47 PM
I just watched the preview for Youjo Senki, and now I'm looking forward to it even more.
Seems like a similar setting to Izetta, except this time we're getting evil genius Izetta instead of naive Izetta. Both sides seem to have magic available, too.

Kraco
Mon, 12-19-2016, 03:08 PM
I just watched the preview for Youjo Senki, and now I'm looking forward to it even more.
Seems like a similar setting to Izetta, except this time we're getting evil genius Izetta instead of naive Izetta. Both sides seem to have magic available, too.

Perhaps I should have a look at it, then. I'm a few eps behind on Izetta with no idea if I can finish it. I got progressively more disappointed by every ep after the halfway point. If a youjo can replace a well-endowed successfully, why not.

ForteCross
Mon, 12-26-2016, 01:47 PM
seems like a weak season for me... only digimon tri and sword art online movie... with the left over of gundam...

i cant stand the school days nor the "sports" anime anymore...

MFauli
Mon, 12-26-2016, 04:43 PM
If it were actual "School Days" anime, iīd be all over it :P

But yeah, school stories are too many. Itīs why anime like Udon are nice, simply featuring a guy whoīs neither pupil nor student, but isnīt focusing on his work place either. (Although Souta has like the easiest job in the world the way it was presented)

What I want most is anime that feature adult heroes (age 30+ :P) that arenīt tropey "wiseman" or "stupid middle-aged men". On the villain side, Satou from Ajin was great. But Iīd like more such heroes. Itīd be especially interesting to have an adult heroe be surrounded by typical young side-characters, too. Anything that shakes up old concepts.

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-26-2016, 05:45 PM
I can understand the japanese and their love for school animes.

I'm at the point where I wish that I could turn 14-16 again and enjoy school life. Shit was so much fun. And school-comedy kinda satisfy me because of that.

The only problem though is that most of them aren't so good and have some supernatural shit in it :/
And not the good type, like Haruhi. But very often this "we are training for the next demon invasion"-kind of school thing.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-26-2016, 05:55 PM
Some school stories are good, like Re:Life.

MFauli
Tue, 12-27-2016, 05:34 AM
ReLife was good because it put an adult into the mix.

David75
Tue, 12-27-2016, 06:53 AM
Story has to be good/enjoyable. Setting is second to that.

DarthEnderX
Wed, 12-28-2016, 12:18 AM
Make Anime Great Again plzWe can't have new One Punch Man EVERY season and have it still be great.

Kraco
Wed, 01-04-2017, 01:11 PM
I wasn't planning to even have a look at it, but I confess that for the petty reason of seeing a character with a Finnish name, I checked out Akiba's Trip. It didn't impress me, but it wasn't boring either. I'll give it another episode. It's clearly one of those wacky shows.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-04-2017, 01:14 PM
Watch Fate Grand Order for Shielder goodness. The FSN servant cast is also back.

David75
Wed, 01-04-2017, 01:53 PM
Well that first Fate OVA had a really fast pace.
It really feels like an alternate FSN with many elements that are too similar or used differently.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-04-2017, 01:57 PM
It's a tiny piece of the Fate Grand Order story, not even a tenth of it.

David75
Wed, 01-04-2017, 02:10 PM
Well, I'll watch unless it really rubs me the wrong way.

As for Akiba' strip(ing), well I'm pretty sure I'll drop it next ep. Too tiring.

MFauli
Wed, 01-04-2017, 02:38 PM
Fuck, has the new season already started?!

Anyway, people, create NEW TOPICS for these anime! Come on, why do I have to campagin for the revival of this forum? Donīt let it die ;>

Ryllharu
Wed, 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM
Watch Fate Grand Order for Shielder goodness. The FSN servant cast is also back.

I thought this was fucking terrible. It took me four days to watch it. All the characters have exactly zero charisma.

Why is the squirrel thing there besides giving Kawasumi Ayako money for making mewling noises? Olga Animusphere? Fucking really? Now I've mentally drawn a connection to Sword Art Online (http://swordartonline.wikia.com/wiki/AmuSphere) to the Type-Moon universe. Fuck you.

They could have at least gone with the female protagonist to mix things up.

The only good thing about it is that it reminded me I will soon be able to enjoy Takahashi Rie making proper post-Explosion ecstasy noises (https://i.redd.it/cxthqsn5lrnx.jpg).

Kraco
Thu, 01-05-2017, 06:14 PM
2/3 of the first episode of Masamune-kun was enough for me. Too bad, the setting had some promise. I just didn't get the MC at all, and it only became worse as the ep went on. In a series where everything depends on the MC, it's an impossible situation.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-05-2017, 07:38 PM
I disagree. I thought it was pretty funny.

It's Comedy of Errors stuff, so my expectations are low and overall enjoyment is high.

KrayZ33
Sun, 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM
I really dislike Fate/Grand Order so far. I have trouble finishing it and already paused it 2 times.

I'd rate it 2/10
1 for Archer and Caster goes Lancer each, + 0 for everything else.

I'm a little more than halfway in and when that White haired girl tried to teach the guy how to be a master I paused again... That overdramatic stuff really isn't doing it when you give zero shits about who is fighting and dying there.

A gigantic shield like that as a weapon is also probably the worst kind of weapon you can have... and so boring to watch.

Kraco
Sun, 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM
I had a look at Eldlive's first episode. I'd by lying if I said it impressed me. The MC was kind of annoying, even if his circumstances were explained. He did get a bit better towards the end. It's a kind of traditional space adventure by the looks of it, so I'd like to keep watching, but who knows, the MC would need to grow some balls. The female lead, voiced by Hayami Saori (a detail that made me check out this show) seems solid so far, albeit she didn't do much yet.

lelouch
Tue, 01-10-2017, 05:16 AM
There is literally not one single good show this season, holy shit. What the fuck happened.

MFauli
Tue, 01-10-2017, 06:42 AM
There is literally not one single good show this season, holy shit. What the fuck happened.

Well, youīre factuall wrong.

lol

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-10-2017, 08:57 AM
People tend to mistake quality for preference.

Edort4
Tue, 01-10-2017, 10:28 AM
2 way street.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM
But the more judgmental ones tend to look one way only. It's a lot easier to be close-minded than the other way around. They also tend to generalize a lot more even though reality is never that cut and dry.

Even excluding the leftovers from last season such as Sangatsu no Lion and IBO, there are shows airing this season that are good, such as,
Konosuba 2
Rakugo Shinjuu 2
Little Witch Academia
Youjo Senki

All of these don't really share many common themes, and I personally don't enjoy Little Witch Academia as much, but that doesn't make it not a good show. It just doesn't hit my spot.

"Literally not one single good show" is not an easily defensible statement.

Edort4
Tue, 01-10-2017, 05:28 PM
Its hard to judge what is good and what not. Its easier for me to say that some shows are good inside their genres even though an awful lot of those genres could be called "B movie" like (and not because of budget). Having some objective values to say what is good or not isnt easy. Usually is just trending created by people that watch a lot.

But on one thing I can agree about having good shows. As there are good people in singing awful there are good shows in being bad. Lots of those.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-10-2017, 05:30 PM
I agree that it isn't easy to identify good and bad in entertainment/art, which is why claiming a season as having "literally no good shows" is not a good idea.

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-10-2017, 05:45 PM
Especially with LWA airing.

It is objectively good. If you disagree, I'll happily give you a dissertation on why you're wrong. It may not be to your taste, but there is a reason people use LWA and Trigger as the "Saving Anime" meme example.

MFauli
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Ok, then Iīll disagree :P Nah, I think itīs alright, but I like Fuuka more.

I will give lelouch one thing, though: This season so far is lacking a hyped must-see anime. At least I havenīt seen one so far. Still hoping that Chaos;Child will be the one. Iīm currently rewatching Chaos;Head and it still is a great anime.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:09 AM
How can Konosuba 2 not be hyped to death at this point? (Yes even with trash art)

MFauli
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:37 AM
Konosuba is cheap comedy, nobody cares about hype for comedy shows. And even then, Gintama will always be king.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:41 AM
So somehow you invented a different type of hype for comedy shows, distinguishing them from other types of hype. Okay.

MFauli
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:45 AM
So somehow you invented a different type of hype for comedy shows, distinguishing them from other types of hype. Okay.

Blabla, you know very well that a good serious story is always more interesting than some silly comedy. I love Gintama, but Iīd always choose something like Death Note over it. (and thatīs a bad example, because Gintama, unlike Konosuba, has good serious story arcs, too)

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:49 AM
Hyped up and serious/interesting are the same now?

This is my point about quality vs. preference. You may not like comedy as much as stories with gravitas, doesn't mean they are worse (i.e. OPM).

MFauli
Wed, 01-11-2017, 09:59 AM
And my point is that this is forced shit-argument. Preferences here, preferences there, please tell me instances of when the anime community at large was hyped for a comedy-series (not counting Gintama).

People are hyped for BERSERK, for Blame!, for Sword Art Online, for Kimo no Na. There is no similar hype for shows like Konosuba.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-11-2017, 10:20 AM
Says you? Konosuba is hyped as shit in Japan right now, and even in the west. OPM is also a comedy show, as much as you deny it in your head, and that was hyped to death too. And why wouldn't I count Gintama? It's also a comedy. Having some serious parts doesn't make it suddenly not a comedy. That's like saying Friends is not a comedy show...

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-14-2017, 08:01 AM
Finally got around to watching Maid Dragon.

It's not quite up to the level of the best Minami-ke seasons (because of the fantasy elements), but it is damn close. This might be the comedy of the season for me, tied with Konosuba.

As far as first episodes go, it was really funny. Had me laughing quite a bit. Hopefully it holds up.

This is a very good season for comedies, and I haven't even tried them all.

Kraco
Sat, 01-14-2017, 08:40 AM
Finally got around to watching Maid Dragon.

It's not quite up to the level of the best Minami-ke seasons (because of the fantasy elements), but it is damn close. This might be the comedy of the season for me, tied with Konosuba.

As far as first episodes go, it was really funny. Had me laughing quite a bit. Hopefully it holds up.

This is a very good season for comedies, and I haven't even tried them all.

I take it you'd also like to acquire Fafnir's phone number? Could be handy when encountering a problem and not knowing what to do.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-22-2017, 05:46 AM
GranBlue Phantasy (Fantasy?) looks bland and boring.

I shall be catching up on stuff like Girls Und Panzer or Euphonium 2 this season instead.

Kraco
Sun, 01-29-2017, 02:49 PM
I was looking forward to Granblue Fantasy, but I couldn't stand the useless lizard critter with an annoying voice more than a single episode. Checking the second episode, it seemed to hang around till the end, so it looks likely it's there to stay. Compared to Zestiria, this seemed very much like a light affair, so I'm not so devastated I can't watch it, but nevertheless it's a pity.

Munsu
Fri, 06-23-2017, 07:49 PM
So... sorry for bumping this, but I think I've watched almost all I have an interest for from the Spring season, so I'm looking back to the Winter season, and there's not much apparently here to watch on first glance.

Any general recommendations?

I haven't watched any KonoSoba... should I watch that?

Watched some Youjo Senki, and that was AWESOME.

Will continue watching Tales of Zestaria of course.

Little Witch Academy has been great as well.

Beyond that, having trouble with what else is there in this season is worth giving a try at least for me...

Onihei maybe?

Chain Chronicle?

ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.?

Thanks!

MFauli
Fri, 06-23-2017, 08:03 PM
Keep watching Youjo Senki, hands down that seasonīs best anime.

Munsu
Fri, 06-23-2017, 08:08 PM

That's a certainty... was looking for what else. =)

DarthEnderX
Sat, 06-24-2017, 06:57 AM
I haven't watched any KonoSoba... should I watch that?Yes you should.

Ryllharu
Sat, 06-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Uh, respectfully, no it was not. It was good, but comedy was king that season.

Maid Dragon, Konosuba S2, and Demi-chan wa Kataritai were by far the standouts of the season. The brutal action, and the comedy bits at the end of each Youjo Senki episode secured it in 4th place.

LWA was great, but didn't really come into its own until this current spring season.

I mean, fuck, Maid Dragon had better action sequences than most shonen series. Including the incredible fight scenes from Hero Academia in the end of the spring season.

Munsu
Sat, 06-24-2017, 12:54 PM
I was looking forward to Granblue Fantasy, but I couldn't stand the useless lizard critter with an annoying voice more than a single episode. Checking the second episode, it seemed to hang around till the end, so it looks likely it's there to stay. Compared to Zestiria, this seemed very much like a light affair, so I'm not so devastated I can't watch it, but nevertheless it's a pity.

I thought you were exaggerating... BUT FUCK! What an annoying VA that shit has.

I dropped it as well, and this coming from me who is quite tolerant of the mediocre.

MFauli
Sun, 06-25-2017, 06:21 AM
Disagree, Ryll. Dragon Maid was nice, but not a stand-out, and KonoSuba S2 was honestly disappointing after the much better first season.

KrayZ33
Sun, 06-25-2017, 03:23 PM
Are any of you guys actually watching the 2nd season of (I don't know the exact name) "My mediocre Heroine" (or something like that)
You know, the show with 4 hot girls and an Otaku MC that wants to creat a date-sim game.

I watch it for the girls, because they are damn fine, but the show itself is decent enough because it doesn't take itself seriously (as in, they are aware that the MC is a "I'm sorry, could you repeat that again, I couldn't hear you" loser =)

Pretty sure they even made him read that part out of the novel in one of the earlier episodes

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-25-2017, 04:20 PM
Saekano Flat?

Of course I watched it. It was one of the better three series the spring season.

The fact that two of the girls have a professional love-rivalry for each other is as far as I know, unique, as is one of girls acting more or less as the male lead's wife. There is this complete self-awareness of the series, that calls out cliché events as they come and eviscerates them. It's pleasant that the girls exist as their own entities, and not a reflections of the male lead's or audience's tastes. Which is kind of the whole point, because that's the kind of game the male lead wanted to make, because no one else has done so.

Even the final episode, where the 4th girl called out that she got sidelined that season.

MFauli
Mon, 06-26-2017, 03:42 AM
I was happy to have finished season 1 of Saekano, wonīt start another season of this bore. Reading some h-doujins featuring Utaha is satisfying enough. :/

Question of my own: Is Sagrada Reset actually worth it? Iīm like 4-5 episodes in, havenīt watched it since then. I would have easily dropped it, but then I found out itīs getting a 2nd cour. And my mind went like "okay, when a series gets 2 cour, it canīt be THAT shitty, right?!".
So, what is it? Anybody watched the existing 12 episodes? Is there a point where it gets significantly better?