PDA

View Full Version : Fall Anime 2016 Impressions

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Shuumatsu no Izetta - Wow, that was an amazing first episode. Dense with content, displayed the protagonist's qualities excellently, had great art, and even showcased intense battles! We were even given a glimpse on how things would proceed. Great start. Looking forward to more.

RIFLE BROOM FTW.

neflight86
Sat, 10-01-2016, 10:26 PM
Very good, though I found the witch reveal a little hammy in the "we've seen this deus ex machina so many times before" sort of way. Comes with the territory, I suppose. Still, well produced adventure that I hope can only get better.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-02-2016, 04:42 AM
Izetta - I'm sold after episode 1. Fantastic opening to the story.

Magical Girl Raising Project - Starting off a little too slowly perhaps, but the problems are coming and I'm interested. I think the flash forward probably ruined it though.

Vivid Strike - I guess they gave up on Nanoha Vivid arc, as it was pretty bad. This attempt seems to be more like a magical girl version of Ippo and might have better focus on fewer characters.

Munsu
Sun, 10-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Was going to try Tiger Mask W, gave it a quick browse, and it looked like crap... so going to pass on it.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 10-05-2016, 02:14 AM
Bloodivores - Ridiculous title and premise. Kind of meh animation wise. At least one interesting twist by the end of episode one though. I don't expect this to end up being good though.

Gundam IBO - A good return for the series, and I'm looking forward to more.

Nanbaka - Trash

Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume - It isn't going to beat Ping Pong the Animation, that's for sure. Maybe there's enough here to be entertaining, but it could be pretty boring.

Trickster - Looks like it might be slightly more interesting than the other Ranpo show from a few seasons back. I don't have high hopes though.

WWW.Working - it's Working again, but with more boring characters. The original overstayed its welcome in my opinion, so I don't expect much here.

Shoushin Shoujo Matoi - I like the style, and I'm a sucker for magical girl battling, so I'm interested to see where it goes. Nothing too original here.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-05-2016, 06:49 AM
Matoi - Well at least we get to see a dad grope his daughter's boobs for a few seconds in mainstream anime.

MFauli
Wed, 10-05-2016, 08:41 AM
Shuumatsu no Izetta: Alright. No, itīs actually good. I just wish the animation quality was even higher, itīd benefit so much. And I hated Izettaīs voice and screaming at the end of the episode. "Hime! Himeee!" made her sound like a typical moe-shit-girl. I expected a more serene, Ghibli-esque behavior, being a witch in a secret location in the alps.

Not-Madoka: Very fast, content-filled first episode. Ignoring the shameless Madoka-"inspiration", I enjoyed it overall. But I hated the stereotypical moe-otaku-designs of the other girls. A sexy nun, a ninja in a bikini, a sexy witch, come on. Hate that shit. Madoka was better because the girls felt like they were wearing what they wanted, not what pervert otaku want them to wear. And fuck that boy becoming a magical girl. I siiiiiighed so hard when I saw that.

Gundam: Fantastic opening, setting up the new situation. This is so good, it doesnīt need any further description. A true must-see.

Kraco
Wed, 10-05-2016, 09:44 AM
Matoi - Well at least we get to see a dad grope his daughter's boobs for a few seconds in mainstream anime.

What? And I had thought I might give this show a chance since the season seems so sparce otherwise. Thanks for the warning.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-05-2016, 10:34 AM
It wasn't intentional, sort of.

MFauli
Wed, 10-05-2016, 02:18 PM

Thx, gonna give it a try. Sounds promising.

Kraco
Wed, 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM
The first show of the new season I checked out:

Brave Witches: This was Strike Witches universe through and through. I'm happy with the first episode and looking forward to more.

David75
Wed, 10-05-2016, 03:11 PM
Watched Yaoi on Ice. Nuf' said

Too bad that first ep was nice on visual quality, particularly background / scenery.

But Yaoi vibes are very strong with that one

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-05-2016, 03:27 PM
You mean The Force?

David75
Wed, 10-05-2016, 03:39 PM
You mean The Force?
Well, they sure are to play with their sabers... But no hentai please ;)

MFauli
Thu, 10-06-2016, 05:34 AM
Yuri on Ice: One of the most powerful, beautiful opening songs in recent anime history. The story was introduced rather rashly, it feels like weīre entering the story at its end part already, with Yuri meeting and "getting together with" his idol. I guess this will be about the training first and foremost. A problem similiar to Shigatsu no Uso is that Yuri is so perfect already with his performance that itīs hard to feel any sort of "oh, Iīm curious how his personal progression will go!", because thereīs no room left. Sure, theyīll SAY that he has to get better, but when I see a flawless performance, itīs hard to accept that.

And that last scene wasnīt necessary, but hey, I think Rukako is hot, so who am I to judge.

Edit: Aaand the animation is pure joy to watch.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Wait, Yuri is not Yaoi?

MFauli
Thu, 10-06-2016, 01:29 PM
The shows name is Yuuri, not Yuri :P

How to be Hero:

Enjoyable first episode, over-the-top foul language humor. I liked. Iīm just not sure if it can carry an entire season. If itīs monster of the week-style, it better be really creative. I loved how the fatherīs sentences are automatically transformed into totally perverted stuff when he talked to his daughter xD

Munsu
Thu, 10-06-2016, 06:53 PM
All Out, watched 15 minutes and shut it off. Sucked balls, what a disappointment.

MFauli
Thu, 10-06-2016, 07:00 PM
All Out:

It certainly doesnīt suck anymore than DAYS, so Iīll keep watching for now. Still stucks that itīs another sports anime with whiny characters. Why is that? An attempt to market these sports shows to a female audience? Speaking of which, looking at the bishounen-style giant here, this anime gave me more of a yaoi-feeling than yuuri on ice ;/

Munsu
Thu, 10-06-2016, 07:50 PM
All Out:

It certainly doesnīt suck anymore than DAYS, so Iīll keep watching for now. Still stucks that itīs another sports anime with whiny characters. Why is that? An attempt to market these sports shows to a female audience? Speaking of which, looking at the bishounen-style giant here, this anime gave me more of a yaoi-feeling than yuuri on ice ;/

Yeah... it sucks way more than DAYS.

David75
Thu, 10-06-2016, 11:22 PM
All-out was clearly a disapointment. Art and character choices are the reasons I might drop it in the middle of the second ep.

MFauli
Fri, 10-07-2016, 08:50 AM
No idea how one can say All-Out is worse than DAYS.

Anyway, Nanbaka: Hate the character design, all those ridiculous, cheap-looking hairstyles. And it wasnīt particularly funny, so dropped.

Munsu
Fri, 10-07-2016, 08:57 AM
No idea how one can say All-Out is worse than DAYS.

Because your analysis so far has merely been reduced to "both have whiny characters, so equal" pretty much. The atmosphere is different, the side characters are different, the character interaction is different, the comedy is different to mention a few.

lelouch
Fri, 10-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Bungou Stray Dogs Season 2 --- The first episode is better than all of Season 1 -- Highly recommend you all check it out

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-07-2016, 12:30 PM
That doesn't bode well for season 1 though.

lelouch
Fri, 10-07-2016, 12:48 PM
That doesn't bode well for season 1 though.

Yeah season 1 was barely watchable, but season 2 is off to an excellent start.

Another show I'll be watching: Drifters. Decent first episode -- it's kind of like a cross between Fate Zero, Inferno Cop, and Salad Fingers.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-07-2016, 10:36 PM
All-Out is pretty much trash. It tried but failed. So many inconsistencies in one episode. For one, the short dude supposedly "exceeded" the injured senpai by taking big guy's tackle with an effing CUSHION. Well duh, of course your shoulder won't get dislocated. Dipshit.

Kraco
Sun, 10-09-2016, 02:45 PM
Drifters is worth it for the typical Hirano Kouta craziness alone. It has already been a while since the last Hellsing Ultimate, so it's not bad to see the same attitude and humour again. Not to mention how all the characters look like they have some screws seriously loose in their heads.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 10-12-2016, 02:52 AM
Girlish Number - somewhat amusing take on the seiyuu industry. I like their mostly pessimistic approach. I'm interested to see more for sure.

Flip Flappers - A very trippy, somewhat surreal magical girl show. I don't know what happened, but I definitely want to see more.

MFauli
Sat, 10-15-2016, 02:51 PM
Still no thread for Occultic; Nine? Iīm too tired to create one.

Anyway. This show continues to be reaaaally exhausting to watch. Tbh if this wasnīt from the Steins;Gate author, Iīd probably drop it. It reminds me a lot of Durararara, which I also didnīt like a lot. I can acknowledge the fantastic sound design and the modern production value overall, but so far Iīm waiting for a big twist that gets me truyl invested in the story. I also want more time with specific characters, preferably with THE main character. I donīt feel sympathy towards any of the characters currently because the anime keeps switching betweens scenes, only ever showing us droplets of them.

I also fucking hate the human cow. These gigantic boobs are sooo unnecessary. Thereīs no reason for them to be there and no matter how good this anime turns out to be in the end, I would NEVER recommend it to somebody because of this shit alone. Then you have that unneeded boob close-up of the big forehead-girl at the end, too. Shit sucks.

Iīm following this anime based on my enjoyment with Chaos;Head, Robotics;Notes, Mirai;Nikki and Steins;Gate. And because the production value is insane. But I REALLY hope this anime can get an exciting story rolling on top of that. Otherwise itīll be easily this seasonīs biggest disappointment.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-16-2016, 11:11 AM
2nd Season of Iron Blooded Orphans is so good..

I'm totally in love with that universe. Everything is dirty, people shat themseleves when they die, the side characters can always be killed off in one of the episodes etc. etc.

It feels like watching Mech Warrior 4. Mercenaries, clans and all kind of other factions that will employ and move military assets to reach their goals. I love it.

It's nice that they focus so much on the grunts and side characters, because even though Mika is a cool MC, the way he fights is boring to watch because barely anyone can match him. (his mech looks out of place too)

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-16-2016, 12:01 PM
So...Vivid Strike.

I feared you would be a boring, derivative spinoff of Nanoha Vivid. Just training montages and so-so fights without the vicious bombardment of a proper Nanoha title.

But, I'm honestly engaged with the story they've got going between the newly introduced duo. It's very much the same kind of thing we'd expect out of a Nanoha-type series, and it's certainly not revolutionary, but the way they've developed it is...surprisingly good.

It has elements that long-time Nanoha fans will instantly recognize, as Fuuka and Rinne's story has strong similarities to Nanoha/Fate or Subaru/Ginga, but there's something else going on. It more closely follows Nanoha's original story, Triangle Heart. Fuuka and Rinne are more rooted in realistic origins: they're not some mystical reincarnation of ancient heroes, cyborgs, or clones. They're troubled youths who went down two very different paths and became two very different people.

Proper shonen rivals, this is. Former friends, driven apart. One went to violence, one went to privilege. Both disgusted by their own weakness.

Obviously, if you're not into the Nanoha franchise, definitely don't even bother.

Major bonus: OP and ED are very good. Another good song by Minase Inori, who you'd never know from her VA work, is quite an excellent singer (unless you watched crap like I do, Symphogear 3 >_>).

It feels like watching Mech Warrior 4. Mercenaries, clans and all kind of other factions that will employ and move military assets to reach their goals. I love it.

Front Mission (https://youtu.be/EhPmmxZQHe0) anime when?

David75
Sun, 10-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Koneko no Chii, ponpora no daibouken
So far, ep1 and 2 are several notches under the other seasons.
The 3D used is not pleasing, and in ep 2 they can't even keep Chii's step placement beetween scenes and later in a larger view, when everything is computer based...
I also feel like the rythm is somehow paused between each phrase or action.
It's a shame for my cute anime of the week.
The only reason I'll keep watching it is for the perfectly matched OP by Perfume, a tune I like a lot from 3 years ago :
https://youtu.be/nbeGeXgjh9Q

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-23-2016, 06:23 AM
@Ryll - If I was a fan of Nanoha until Vivid happened, would I like Vivid Strike?

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-23-2016, 08:55 AM
If you specifically don't like Vivid...maybe? I'd lean toward no since it shares a lot more of the aesthetics and less of the militant combat from Nanoha through StrikerS. Martial Arts is a big part of the series, but it isn't about Martial Arts like Vivid was. It's about the people who use physical/magical skill and what they use it for.

Perhaps give it the three episode test and then drop it if you don't like it. It's hard to describe the difference, but you get the feeling of that difference almost immediately.

Though episode four is pretty great.

Vivid Strike is more vicious than Vivid.

I'm glad it isn't Nanoha Force.

MFauli
Sun, 10-23-2016, 11:13 AM
Still no thread for Occultic? Iīm too lazy.

episode 3: The latter half kinda promises more character focus with next episode. Still, this is very exhausting to watch and I donīt feel sympathetic towards any of the characters as of now. Compared to Steins;Gate, which thrived off its fantastic characters, thatīs disappointing. But maybe (hopefully) this changes and Gamon becomes the center focus of the story, offering a hero-figure to attach to.

And, sigh, screw milk cow girl. Her tits are so over the top, itīs taking me out of the experience any time she appears.

Death BOO Z
Fri, 11-04-2016, 08:56 AM
Started watching Yuri! on ice! myself (episode 2 so far). my FB feed is crowded with it, so I thought i'd give it a chance.
like david and mfauli said, it's beautiful animation (can't remember when I've seen legs animated so well), and very nice music and whatnot. even good characters.
but mfauli is right, it's like joining hajime no ippo at the 700 chapter. it's a nice change of pace not to see 'loser rise to greatness', but the end goal is so ridiculously close by that it feels like the stakes are too low for it to count.

KrayZ33
Wed, 11-30-2016, 04:30 PM
Yahari Ore no Seishun LoveCome wa Machigatte Iru. Zoku: Kitto, Onna no Ko wa Osatou to Spice to Suteki na Nanika de Dekite Iru.

Yeah, YOU HEARD ME!

what the fuck

before anyone asks, no I didn't watch it yet, is this supposed to be a anti-piracy title or something!? It's so difficult to find because of that

ASgashsa.

Kraco
Thu, 12-01-2016, 03:03 AM
Yahari Ore no Seishun LoveCome wa Machigatte Iru. Zoku: Kitto, Onna no Ko wa Osatou to Spice to Suteki na Nanika de Dekite Iru.

before anyone asks, no I didn't watch it yet, is this supposed to be a anti-piracy title or something!? It's so difficult to find because of that

I did watch it a while ago. Good old stuff, the same as the series. I wouldn't call it difficult to find. It's the only anime release of the title for a long time now.

KrayZ33
Thu, 12-01-2016, 03:59 PM
Watched it too by now, it's rather good.

A bit bitter because I can't get around the fact that behind this slice-of-life happiness, they are having some serious troubles that aren't so easily fixed.
Now I want to read the LN again, but I kinda stopped/slacked on it ever since the first dude stopped translating them after the second season pretty much spoilered the whole thing.