PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Fall Anime 2016

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-11-2016, 10:34 AM
Chart. (http://myanimelist.net/anime/season/2016/fall)

The coming season has a few gems, but the rest look pretty mundane.

The gems that I am looking forward to:

Ajin 2nd Season - The only issue with the first aside from the 3D CG was the fact that it didn't have a sequel. This fixes that.
Hibike Euphonium 2 - Looking forward to more waki, yuri, and uh, music.
Natsume Yuujinchou Go - One of the things I've been waiting for in years.
3-Gatsu no Lion - From the mangaka of Honey and Clover. Poignant and dramatic story.
MSG: Iron Blooded Orphans 2 - The only iron blooded thing I love more than Shinobu. I hope they keep the sheer level of quality of season 1. A character-centric gundam story is like the cure for cancer.
Occultic;Nine - From the writer of Steins;Gate.

Sounds like a great season right? But then again, nothing else stands out. I just hope there are a few from the pool of genericness that prove me wrong.

Munsu
Thu, 08-11-2016, 01:21 PM
Wait, you don't have interest on Drifters? That's the series I've been waiting for the most this year.

For me:

March Comes in Like a Lion - too much hype for some time now to not at least give it a look.

Aijin 2 - First season was fucking awesome.

All Out!! - Sports = Automatic try.

Drifters - Should be awesome with high production values.

Haikyuu!! 3 - Liked the first seasons well enough, though I thought the first season was stronger.

Long Riders! - Sports...

Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru - Not sure about this one, but seems to have a bit of hype, so I'll give it a look.

Yuri!!! on ICE - Looks like we'll be having a sports overload this season...

These are the ones that standout for me (not as good, but at least that I'll give a try). I'll have to research the rest as I'm not really familiar with what they'll offer, or are sequels for shows I haven't watched yet.

Here's the anichart one for those that prefer it.
http://anichart.net/fall-16

Edit:

Not sure if Occultic;Nine is confirmed for this season though.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-11-2016, 01:25 PM
Is Drifters the show with the trap character? If so, I dropped it because it lacked girls.

The summary for Keijou! made me laugh. I was thinking, hey, I might enjoy this one, until I hit the bolded part. Then I just facedesked when I got to the underlined part.

Kaminashi Nozomi (17) is an exceptional gymnast. So much so that colleges with some of the best gymnastic programs are trying to recruit her. Unfortunately for them, she has other plans. Due to her family being extremely poor, money is everything to her. That's why she wants to step into the world of "Keijo." "Keijo" is a type of gambling sport where girls stand on a small floating platform and compete against one another. The aim is to push the other contestant off of the platform into the water, but they are only allowed to use their butt or breasts to push the others off. Will Nozomi be able to compete in the intense world of "Keijo" and bring wealth and fortune for her family?

Munsu
Thu, 08-11-2016, 01:37 PM
Is Drifters the show with the trap character? If so, I dropped it because it lacked girls.

Ah yes, it has that trap character. I don't think "lacked girls" is accurate though, but there is indeed a fairly big imbalance. I haven't gone deep with the manga to see how much of it is rectified. But I think in the first few chapters there's certainly a lack of that indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4DcCVIPJJ0

Just looks incredibly awesome to me. Hope it delivers.

MFauli
Thu, 08-11-2016, 02:40 PM
Let´s see what we have here:

- Ajin season 2 (this ended in a spectacular way, so I´m really excited)
- All Out!! (an American Football-anime? Nice!)
- 3-gatsu no Lion (cautiously interested)
- Yuri!! on Ice (ice skating ... oh well, why not)
- Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (probably the star of the season)
- Occultic;Ninte (okay, or maybe this will be the highlight? A new anime from the creator of Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, wow!)
- Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (sounds cute)
- Long Riders! (wow, so many interesting sports anime!)
- Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On (what is that?! And 48 episodes?! I love MonHun, never heard of this anime)

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-11-2016, 02:48 PM
Seriously, none of you watched Natsume Yuujinchou?

Ryllharu
Thu, 08-11-2016, 03:29 PM
Euph s2: Yes please, need more bitchy Kumiko in my life.
3-gatsu no Lion - Absolutely, loved what I read of the manga back in the day.
Keijo! - Sounds incredibly bad, will watch, especially since Summer was devoid of a trashy ecchi show for me to watch.
ViVid Strike! - Nanoha spinoff or odd Vivid sequel, I'm gonna watch. Probably the former (or semi-both) due to all the stupid real life bullshit drama between King Records and Tamura Yukari.

Watashi ga Motete Dou Sunda - The description actually sounds humorous enough to try. Depends on if this is a straight-up bishie fujoshi-bait show, like all the sports series this season obviously are, or if they play it way more sarcastically, similar to Ouran Host Club.

Munsu
Thu, 08-11-2016, 03:47 PM
Seriously, none of you watched Natsume Yuujinchou?

I watched one season if I recall correctly, maybe a few episodes of season 2... got bored with it or such.

ViVid Strike! - Nanoha spinoff or odd Vivid sequel, I'm gonna watch. Probably the former (or semi-both) due to all the stupid real life bullshit drama between King Records and Tamura Yukari.

I KNEW IT!

KrayZ33
Thu, 08-11-2016, 04:29 PM
Only interested in Blood Orphans... anything else sounds really, really boring to me.
Maybe I'll try Aijin and Drifters (in the preview it looks like it has horrible character animations), but that's about it.
I hope one of the comedy shows will interest me at some point

So far, it looks like *the* weakest season in years for me.

edit:

Some interesting movies and OVAs! Chain Chronicles and it's 2nd and 3rd movie comming in Winter
+ Patlabor.

Munsu
Thu, 08-11-2016, 04:58 PM
Only interested in Blood Orphans... anything else sounds like really, really boring to me.
Maybe I'll try Aijin and Drifters (in the preview it looks like it has horrible character animations), but that's about it.
I hope one of the comedy shows will interest me at some point

So far, it looks like *the* weakest season in years for me.

edit:

Some interesting movies and OVAs! Chain Chronicles and it's 2nd and 3rd movie comming in Winter
+ Patlabor.

You think Drifters has horrible character animations? I mean, it should be Hellsing Ultimate-like + better I'd think. And I thought the Hellsing Ultimate animation was one of the best out there. Though we'll have to see since Drifters is TV while Hellsing Ultimate were OVAs.

Anyways, animation would've been the last thing I thought I'd see as a detriment to attract someone on this series.

Shows how much tastes vary I guess. Animation is like the thing I'm most looking forward with it.

Edort4
Thu, 08-11-2016, 05:11 PM
Im curious about a bunch of shows. Some I know I wont like but I will try first episode at least.

Drifters, sports shows(except that girls on platforms one), occultic and Ajin prob a more thorough watch.

Curious (at least try ep1) Nanbaka, Izetta, Luger Code, Hanamaru, Brave witches (maybe even monster hunter, love that picture).

Munsu
Thu, 08-11-2016, 09:01 PM
So, Brave Witches is a spin-off of Strike Witches... how was Strike Witches?

Edort4
Fri, 08-12-2016, 06:24 AM
I couldnt get past the first couple of episodes but I kind of liked the ambientation and the world map /countries overhaul they did.

Kraco
Fri, 08-12-2016, 07:50 AM
I liked how all the warring nations of WW2 are on the same side in Strike Witches, fighting against the aliens. Not to mention it's comedic how the best historical fighter aces are turned into typical anime personality girls.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-12-2016, 08:00 AM
What the fuck are you guys talking about.

Strike witches = pantsu.

End.

Munsu
Fri, 08-12-2016, 08:32 AM
I'm adding Keijo!!!!!!!! to my list to give a try, and also to Shuumatsu no Izetta. Maybe that later one might bring a bit of what I've missed since Allison & Lillia.

@MFauli Rugby does not equal American Football

MFauli
Fri, 08-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Even better, I´ve never seen a rugby anime :P

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-12-2016, 08:49 AM
LOL@Mfauli and sports.

KrayZ33
Fri, 08-12-2016, 04:49 PM
You think Drifters has horrible character animations? I mean, it should be Hellsing Ultimate-like + better I'd think. And I thought the Hellsing Ultimate animation was one of the best out there. Though we'll have to see since Drifters is TV while Hellsing Ultimate were OVAs.

I don't know, it looks "ugly" and seems to be full of stills, the character movements in the preview are extremely lacking and plain. To compare it with an even more extreme case, it looks like Fairy Tail in that regard.
Sword of the Stranger actions scenes is what I like to see and want action shows to look like, or Is it wrong to pick up Girls in a Dungeon, or Darker than Black (OVAs/2nd Season), or One Punch, or Towa no Quon etc. etc. I understand that most of them have fewer episodes, have a higher budget or are movies, but the closer it gets to those - the better

Anyways, animation would've been the last thing I thought I'd see as a detriment to attract someone on this series.

What else, it's clearly an action show and action quality depends on animation quality a lot? I can't speak japanese but the preview was extremely confusing... they always are tbh, because anime studios do really, really, really (I can't write it down often enough haha) suck at making trailers... anyway, as someone who doesn't know the manga/novel or whatever this is based on, what exactly is supposed to make me drift towards "Drifters"?

MFauli
Fri, 08-12-2016, 04:59 PM
ok, guess I´ll watch that butt-slam anime after all. Surprisingly high-quality animation and it looks so ... dramatic :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXtHriyCJRA

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-12-2016, 06:13 PM
How did this concept get an anime...

Wait, only in anime.

About Drifters, I think it's more of a style preference dissonance between Krayz and Munsu than quality issues. I personally don't like the messy and artsy style, but it looks well done and intentional.

Munsu
Fri, 08-12-2016, 07:39 PM
How did this concept get an anime...

Wait, only in anime.

About Drifters, I think it's more of a style preference dissonance between Krayz and Munsu than quality issues. I personally don't like the messy and artsy style, but it looks well done and intentional.

Not really about style preference, more about surprised that that would be held against it, particularly when last I recall Hellsing Ultimate's animation was widely accepted as very good, incredible even.

From what I've seen, I think we'll see more of the same in here. So caught me off guard that someone was going to hold it against this series as a potential reason to not watch it; a negative.

Yes, in the end it says something about different in tastes, but it was more about an observation that goes against what's been normally perceived.

On that regard, I think the trailer does emphasize a bit on the still image sequences, so on that regard I think there's also an underestimation on the fluid animation sequences, that maybe didn't get much exaltation in this trailer.

Anyways, it was more of a comment of getting caught off guard that animation would be put into question here, particularly with a "horrible" qualifier. At worst I thought people might be indifferent.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-13-2016, 03:57 AM
I watched Hellsing Ultimate to completion because it was Hellsing, and I'm of course a Seras fan.

But I really dislike that art style. Grotesque is the only word I can apply to it.

It's the reason I will be skipping Drifters.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-13-2016, 04:50 AM
Hmm.. I watched episode 10 of Hellsing Ultimate on youtube, I don't know if that's the "newest" one, but the art is really crude, slow and I've honestly seen Hentai that is better animated (though that is extremely rare). The Fairy Tail comparison is really not that far fetched. I'd be suprised if it got any praise from the community (overall, some individuals will like it allright). It's not the art style that's putting me off, it's the animation quality. (Redline has very a quirky artstyle too, but the animations are awesome).

Anyway, Drifters will most likely be a no go for me, I can't imagine that the show will be any better than the preview in that regard, because the preview was 100% action.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-13-2016, 05:24 AM
It's like the ongoing gag in TTGL where Rossiu has a huge forehead, and then in the epilogue when he's older (like...30 max?) his face makes up 40% of his total body.

Except in Hellsing and Drifters, that's all the characters. To be fair it is a mere 25% in those series.

Edort4
Sat, 08-13-2016, 05:40 AM
I dont know whats not to like about those trailers. The art is not the mainstream clean lines/traces, iwch is actually pretty boring an irreal, but its good, animation is at least average (not much is shown) and it has lots of beheadings, dismemberments, blood fountains, bullets going through heads... Reminds me of Ninja Scroll.

Love it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Cannot wait for Orphans to come.