PDA

View Full Version : Under the Dog

neflight86
Tue, 08-02-2016, 12:44 AM

"The story takes place in 2025 in Neo Tokyo, five years after a devastating terrorist attack at the Tokyo Olympics. In the wake of the tragedy, the U.N. formed a covert ops unit dedicated to seeking out and eliminating those responsible for the attack. Anthea Kallenberg, a girl of Swedish descent is a member of this elite group who has honed her combat abilities and has become a deadly assassin, but must come to terms as to who she really is."

Under the Dog (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=836171)

Genres: Action, Drama, Sci-fi

This is an OVA produced via crowd funding.

The story seems like a fairly typical 'dark sci-fi anime'. It does what it can in its thirty minute run time with its 'story in the middle' format, but I wouldn't exactly call it satisfying. Animation is fair, and the style and character design reminds me of something PA works would do on a lower television budget, with thicker line work and a bit too many CG-only scenes (for my taste). As it is a stand alone effort, don't count on a continuation, as this felt like the first episode of a mediocre series anyway. Still worth a watch though, if you want to see something with absolutely no commitment. Actually, none of the story synopsis above is even mentioned in the feature itself...

Speaking of crowdfunding, I can only hope that some modest level of backing granted a sponsor the right to voice a small character, because the english voice over is both diverse and cringe worthy for roughly 80% of the spoken 'american' dialogue. Also prepare for anime's first 8 minute credit roll.

All in all, this probably wasn't worth a thread, but some may disagree with me on the quality of Under the Dog. Let me know what you thought.

Munsu
Tue, 08-02-2016, 08:36 AM
All in all, this probably wasn't worth a thread, but some may disagree with me on the quality of Under the Dog. Let me know what you thought.

Not sure where the idea that an anime isn't worth a thread or not, but any anime of interest for you to discuss should have its own thread.

Whether people will care about it or not, that's another matter.

Don't like the idea of people hesitating on creating a new anime series or such thread because they're hesitant on whether they deserve a thread or not, it's dumb.

Anyways, I'll check it out. With the Rio Olympics beginning in a few days, it shouldn't be a bad anime to try out.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 09:04 AM
I just think he's hesitating because no one might post in it, making it masturbatory. It's a valid concern. Not saying he shouldn't though, but he shouldn't be called dumb for hesitating.

Munsu
Tue, 08-02-2016, 09:12 AM
I just think he's hesitating because no one might post in it, making it masturbatory. It's a valid concern. Not saying he shouldn't though, but he shouldn't be called dumb for hesitating.

Not calling him dumb, calling the idea that has for some reason festered in this forum about the worthiness of starting a thread or not. Stumbled upon it quite a few times recently, it never used to be the case. So not sure how what the source for that pseudo de facto rule came about, but the idea is a dumb one.

Anyways, that's that.

neflight86
Tue, 08-02-2016, 05:15 PM
Apologies for that remark. By it I simply implied that there may not be enough substance within "Under the Dog" to generate any kind of substantial discussion. If no one discusses anything, creating the thread just feels like wasted effort, or some sort of justification for having spent the time watching it.

Munsu
Tue, 08-02-2016, 05:52 PM
Apologies for that remark. By it I simply implied that there may not be enough substance within "Under the Dog" to generate any kind of substantial discussion. If no one discusses anything, creating the thread just feels like wasted effort, or some sort of justification for having spent the time watching it.

I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing the idea that led you to believe that creating a thread for something you just watched or interested in discussing is not worth a thread, an idea that I've seen festering for some reason. Since I saw you mentioning in your post, I took the opportunity to address it. So, in that regard I'm glad you did.

It MAY end up being a wasted effort, but doesn't mean that the attempt to create a space to discuss it wasn't worth it. If people get interested, cool, if not, then the thread will be forgotten. Who cares in the end?

If you hand't created the thread for example, I personally wouldn't have even looked into this at all. Now that you've created it, even if no discussion is generated, at the very least you got someone else interested. To me, that alone has some worth. Maybe not everyone see it that way.

When I used to be more active that's the main reason I created thread for just about every crappy shit that got released every season. Some generated discussion, some everyone ignored. But, who cares?

As I go watching through the backlogs, I've been disappointed to see that some series people have watched, but no one bothered to create a thread for a space to discuss them, which kinda sucks. Kiznaiver for example which at least 2 of you watched in this forum, which is good enough all told with how low our membership is. If someone had created a thread back then, I'm sure more discussion and more members would've bothered to watch it.

In all that's my main point, not to get shackled in the belief that something that is of interest is not worth creating a thread for.

I know this is way off-topic, and ruined your thread, but fuck it lol.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:03 PM
All good points. I'm totally guilty of watching many shows but feeling too lazy to make a thread. Is there an automated way of doing that?

Downloading UtD now. Tuesdays have no anime at all WTF.

Munsu
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:19 PM
All good points. I'm totally guilty of watching many shows but feeling too lazy to make a thread. Is there an automated way of doing that?

Downloading UtD now. Tuesdays have no anime at all WTF.

The automated way was Buff + Munsu + Kraco, but we seem out of commission lol.

As for not having any animes on Tuesday, I feel that way pretty much the full week. Seems like all shows of interest are packed in a short range of days this season.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Yeah, the weekends and Monday for me. Tuesdays to Thursdays are like black hole midweek days.

Taboo Tattoo is on Mondays, at least. Speaking of which, I think there's no thread for that, but I'm too lazy to make one. Automation button: Press.

Munsu
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Yeah, the weekends and Monday for me. Tuesdays to Thursdays are like black hole midweek days.

Taboo Tattoo is on Mondays, at least. Speaking of which, I think there's no thread for that, but I'm too lazy to make one. Automation button: Press.

https://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/23657-Taboo-Tatoo

I've been hesitant to watch it, since I dropped the manga for a reason I don't recall now even as I recall enjoying it quite a bit early on. I'll wait more episodes to see how that turns out.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:38 PM
What. I actually posted in that thread. Alcohol is bad for you.

Watched it. Awesome animation. Nice twists. The only thing wrong with this is it's not a complete series.

Munsu
Tue, 08-02-2016, 10:32 PM
Watched it. Awesome animation. Nice twists. The only thing wrong with this is it's not a complete series.

Agreed. Furthermore, considering that this was with what I presume a limited budget, I hope we see more crowdfunded projects and more successful ones.

But as an experiment, two thumbs up from me.

I also liked the music score.

As for the English voices complaint, I really don't understand it. It's like 99% better than the crap than what I usually see from English voices in anime, so I thought what we had in this case was quite good.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 10:34 PM
Absolutely. The English here is 1000x better than Joke Game, for example.

Anime needs more darkness like this. We all know anime isn't for little kids. It's for grown men who like little kids. So give us more DARKNESS and SEX.

neflight86
Wed, 08-03-2016, 01:33 AM
For the voicing, I would have agreed with you six or seven years ago, but english dubs have gotten infinitely more watchable lately. take a look at Funimation's broadcast dubs of Prison School or My Hero Academia if you want a sample. These are obviously native English speakers, but their lines were largely delivered amateurishly, in my opinion. That is a big difference from a non-native speaker trying to hide their accent when speaking 'engrish', to me.

Glad you two enjoyed what you saw, though. It might have made a good series, even if I called it mediocre.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM
These guys aren't native English speakers, at least not all of them. One of them screwed up at the end of a sentence, exposing his Japanese accent.

Munsu
Wed, 08-03-2016, 09:11 AM
These guys aren't native English speakers, at least not all of them. One of them screwed up at the end of a sentence, exposing his Japanese accent.

I'll also add, this isn't a dub version. It's a Japanese anime that has some occasional English speakers, which I see as completely different.

So I don't think it's correct to compare the situations.

KrayZ33
Wed, 08-03-2016, 12:21 PM
I think the coolest thing about this was that the soldiers actually used semi-auto and that their vest and helmets actually offered some protection.

That aim though :/

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-03-2016, 12:47 PM
Well, they did kill an esper assassin. I'd say they did well as far as fodder in anime go.

Munsu
Wed, 08-03-2016, 02:26 PM
I think the coolest thing about this was that the soldiers actually used semi-auto and that their vest and helmets actually offered some protection.

That aim though :/

My only real complaint, and I'll recheck later if what I perceived I was correct, but in the first confrontation with Hana, it seemed like a solider shot like 3 times and ran out of bullets. That was weird.

KrayZ33
Wed, 08-03-2016, 02:31 PM
She did use her powers on that rifle (it started to glow greenish), I'm pretty sure she's also deflecting bullets with that too. The spray is too much to be just bad aim.

Munsu
Wed, 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM
Could be, I'll recheck. It was the only thing that seemed to pull me away from the episode.