PDA

View Full Version : 91 Days

neflight86
Fri, 07-15-2016, 11:27 AM

"The time is 1920, five years after National Prohibition Law took place at a city called Lorel in the United States. Main character Avilo arrives to join the Vampiro family mafia undercover in order to seek revenge of killers who killed his parents and brother in this mafia. A Killing starts kills. Revenge starts new revenge. A story of vengeance and sorrow starts now."

from anidb.net

genres: historical (period), crime, adventure, action, revenge

Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=828136)

The obvious comparison is Baccanno!, and this does feel eerily similar with a somewhat more lean cast, for now. Some of the animation looked a bit rushed, but the happenings and old-timey direction made up for any production faults in my eyes. Another hopeful for this season. Give it a try.

neflight86
Mon, 07-18-2016, 12:06 PM
Episode 2:

One 'target' already dead, and a list of the other hits has been made known to the audience. I suspect the others won't be so straightforward. I also hope theres more to this story than a simple anti-hero taking revenge. There is a lot of potentially complex storytelling potential in here if the anime chooses to fully realize it. Three unfriendly mob factions, and such. I wish the animation were a little less rough, but other than that, no complaints.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-19-2016, 02:15 AM
This is a nice enough watch for me. Industrial Revolution type eras are close enough to Steampunk enough for me to like I guess. Early chemistry/science, with lots of things being physical (as opposed to digital).

None of that matters in such a story of course.

Munsu
Wed, 07-20-2016, 11:33 PM
Just watched the first 2 episodes, and I love this series so far.

There's a scene after the ED in episode 2 just in case.

Munsu
Fri, 07-22-2016, 09:19 PM
Episode 3:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=832750

With high expectations, I thought this week's episode was weak. Lots of shooting and lots of misses, and some of the tension found in earlier episodes, was completely absent I thought. Still enjoying the series, but was hoping this episode would've been much better. A setback in my opinion. Fango is nuts, and adds flavor to the series, but he's becoming a running joke, so I hope he gets killed off soon.

Last scene of the episode was promising.

Also curious, the anime is called 91 Days, and each episode is called a "Day" as in episode 3 is "Day 3"... so I wonder how long will that go on, as I doubt this will be 91 episodes long.

neflight86
Mon, 07-25-2016, 10:52 PM
The sub-par production is really unfortunate in this show. I actually find the low detail and crudely lined background shots/characters jarring. I had to watch the episode twice to better understand what, exactly, was going on, but once I did I had a much better appreciation for the direction the story is going in. Clever plots, logical thinking, and enjoyable dialogue (as translated by Horriblesubs) are doing a better job of holding my attention than the animation, which is sadly rare in anime nowadays.

Munsu
Mon, 08-01-2016, 06:41 PM
And here's episode 4:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=835146

Still one of the series I'm most looking forward to this season, but what I expected from the first episode hasn't really materialized. Not really feeling this series as much as I thought it would, and part of it is that it's taken a levity and comedic approach to the plot that is not really working for me. I thought this was going to be more serious.

The antagonist in this latest episode was quite badass though.

lelouch
Tue, 08-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Episode 7 is out.

DISCUSS - this show is the shit

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-16-2016, 11:44 AM
The shit or shit?

Munsu
Tue, 08-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Episode 7 is out.

DISCUSS - this show is the shit

Yum! Lasagna!

I've been up and down with the series, enjoyed the last one quite a bit.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-16-2016, 08:36 PM
The show is enjoyable. Whoever this last person is, they want the other 3 people dead to remove all traces of his involvement. Until Avilio finds this guy, Nero will be kept alive.

lelouch
Wed, 08-17-2016, 10:03 PM
I'm pretty drunk, and I think I just solved the ENTIRE SERIES. This is what I think will be the revelation:

- There is no 4th guy, Nero wrote the letter and said the 4th guy thing just to see where it goes.
- Nero is the guy who shot at Little Avilio when he ran away. But what he didn't say -- but actually happened -- is he felt guilty and purposely shot in the air / missed, so his team hears a gunshot but doesn't realize he let him get away on purpose.
- There will be some backstory humanizing Nero's involvement
- Avilio will have an internal conflict of whether to kill Nero at the end since they'll have become friends.

BOOOOM

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-17-2016, 10:33 PM
So Nero just gave away the names of his friends and thought they should die because he felt remorseful?

That's a pretty dick move.

lelouch
Thu, 08-18-2016, 12:42 AM
So Nero just gave away the names of his friends and thought they should die because he felt remorseful?

That's a pretty dick move.

his friends gave him away to make peace with the orcos / galassias.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-18-2016, 12:56 AM
his friends gave him away to make peace with the orcos / galassias.

That was his brother right?

One of his friends got killed by the MC. I don't actually remember the other one.

Munsu
Thu, 08-18-2016, 09:38 AM
That was his brother right?

One of his friends got killed by the MC. I don't actually remember the other one.

Yep, brother.

neflight86
Fri, 08-19-2016, 01:49 AM
If they want a twist reveal, the only candidate I can image (who wrote the letter) is going to be his bootlegger friend. He was there that night. The family didn't approach until he left, and we didn't see him again till the next scene. If they do that, though, that would make him a very interesting character who is satisfied orchestrating his own murder out of guilt?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-19-2016, 09:07 PM
EP7

OMFG WOW. I have no words. I'll try though.

Amazing.

neflight86
Sat, 08-20-2016, 02:43 AM
Very exciting episode with enough deaths to satisfy a Game of Thrones Season finale.

Munsu
Sat, 08-20-2016, 02:51 PM
Now this is what I've fucking waiting for, excellent episode. Cool events aside, finally we see Angelo doing some real scheming which was my main interest in all of this.

Last line of the episode was awesome as well. Pushing his luck though.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-20-2016, 03:21 PM
And his scheming actually makes sense! I love how it doesn't all go completely in his favor, but he has back up plans to address minor issues. I love cruel and driven protagonists.

Munsu
Sat, 08-20-2016, 03:30 PM
And his scheming actually makes sense! I love how it doesn't all go completely in his favor, but he has back up plans to address minor issues. I love cruel and driven protagonists.

Agreed. His previous "schemes", if you can call it that, were all over the place. This time everything just felt quite right.

Munsu
Mon, 09-05-2016, 10:14 PM
Episode 8:

Things escalated even further very quickly... though, considering the pace so far, it was sad to see how rushed this episode was.

neflight86
Tue, 09-06-2016, 02:35 AM
Yeah, a little more time to build up Corteo's breaking down would have been nice, even sprinkled among other episodes. Either way, I didn't see him as the man to bring down Fango.

I hope MC's acting is just really good, because he seems to have devoted himself a little too fully to the Vanetti family at this point. Sadly, some action scenes still make me cringe at how cheaply they appear animated.

What happened to the Glassia family? Are they just content now that one of their sons died and the Vanettis took care of it? I'd figure they would still have an envoy at least overlooking this new partnership. As a matter of fact, the authorities are taking more action in than they (Glassias) are after the gang war by quickly shipping out a new bureau agent to clean up Lawless (and removing the corrupt one). As an American, I simply cannot stand idly by while some form of media erroneously suggests that my federal government is capable of more and faster pro-activity than regional organized crime. Theres literary license... and then there's just lunacy.

neflight86
Tue, 09-13-2016, 01:43 AM
Episode 9

So the Uncle is/was the party looking to wipe out the Vanetti's ruling family. It makes sence, seeing as he would have been a member of the old guard along with the silent guy. Corteo's on borrowed time as is, was he the guy about to kill him, too? Or... was Corteo's escape a setup as well- he just shot the other guard and pinned it on him! Aha! Looking forward to next ep.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-13-2016, 06:49 AM
It was a setup.

Munsu
Sat, 09-17-2016, 04:51 PM
Episode 10:

Love that they're pushing the envelope, but things developed in a very forced manner. Fucked up though.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-17-2016, 10:44 PM
"I want money and stuff" was a little weak when he's been loyal for so long. Surely the risks here outweigh being an Uncle of the family. If it's women and money he wants, he could get it.

If it was the Don's woman that he wants, then that would have been a different story.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-17-2016, 10:47 PM
Top dog spot is tempting, always.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-17-2016, 11:39 PM
If I saw Vincent lounging around with women I would have thought so too. He cared more about assassinations and being holed up in his place though.

Lightning strikes the tallest tree. Don't be the tallest tree.

Assuming there are >2 players in the game, being 2nd best is quite alright. Preferred even.

I do applaud Corteo biting four-eyes back about targetting Avilio. Now everyone will at least consider an ulterior motive behind everything he does that's Avilio-related, whether true or not. Corteo hasn't just save Avilio in this one instance.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-18-2016, 12:09 AM
That's a hoi polloi philosophy tempered by generations of peace. In times of war, people generally do crazy things for glory, fame, and power.

Munsu
Thu, 10-06-2016, 06:35 PM
Episode 11 and 12:

And so it ends. Overall a solid series which I hoped would be much better than it ended up being. Final episodes seemed be too convoluted of a scheme for what it needed to be, but it was fun to see regardless. And of course, now we have the ambiguous ending to think over.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-07-2016, 02:30 AM
Avilio died.

Some episodes ago Avilio asked Nero if he could pull the trigger now that he's grown, and I think he said he did.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-07-2016, 09:59 PM
Did he?

Seems open ended. The smile on the dude's face at the end actually suggests he didn't kill Avilio. You don't smile like that after killing a "friend" who you had so much trouble killing because of attachment.

Munsu
Sun, 10-09-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm split, I can rationalize easily both scenarios.