PDA

View Full Version : Saiki Kusuo no Psi Nan

neflight86
Wed, 07-13-2016, 07:45 PM

"Saiki Kusuo is a typical 16-year-old high school student... except he has psychic powers. He can use them to get whatever he wants, but he also knows everything that people are thinking. Everything. No surprises, no secrets, no normal human experiences. He's kept his powers in check since childhood, but with the temptations of high school now on his mind, he's bending the rules - and spoons."

From anidb.net

[HorribleSubs] Saiki Kusuo no Psi-nan - 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=828937)

genre: comedy

If Sakamoto got a thread, then this one deserves a thread, too. A sort of similar comedy (misunderstandings and omnipotence), but instead of spending up to a quarter episode for build up to most jokes, this one manages to fit in what seems like a menagerie of punchlines every minute. Laugh or don't, it doesn't matter because you are already assaulted by the next pithy line. You may be tempted to pause a few times.

I actually enjoyed this more as the episode went on and the creativity of the gags became apparent. Recommended from the first episode alone.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-13-2016, 09:24 PM
It was pretty funny. I'm in for the ride.

I particularly liked how he trolled the bitch girl so much.

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 07-14-2016, 03:25 AM
Kamiya Hiroshi Narrating: The Animation.
And that's okay with me.

I wasn't super impressed with this first episode though. I'm hoping the jokes pick up a bit after they get through the introductions.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-14-2016, 07:21 AM
That was good. Like you said, if Sakamoto was worth watching, this is too.

Kraco
Thu, 07-14-2016, 04:46 PM
I didn't watch Sakamoto beyond the first ep, but I think I'll keep watching this for now.

It seems like the dude can't predict how his own plans might work or misfire, so he's not totally out of luck trying to escape boredom. The very last scene proved that when he thought he finally got rid of the bishoujo following him, but in fact only caused her to become all the more interested in him.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-14-2016, 09:39 PM
Watch Sakamoto.

Munsu
Wed, 07-20-2016, 09:00 PM
Watched the first 2 episodes, and quite enjoyed them. Will keep following the series.

Munsu
Sun, 08-14-2016, 04:36 PM
You guys watching this?

I'm enjoying the fuck out of this, but shows like this don't have much worth discussing.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-15-2016, 03:57 AM
This show is great. In regards to why this show can be more enjoyable than Sakamoto, I recall one of Ryll's favourite sayings that limitations/weaknesses of heroes are more fun to explore than their strengths. Sakamoto overcoming everything with his fabulous displays is great, but we get more kick out of Saiki's misfortunes despite how insanely powerful he is.

neflight86
Mon, 08-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Favorite bit of this last episode was the rancid looking ramen from the toilet shop actually being rancid. Anime trained me to assume that appearances are subversive in this regard, and I enjoyed oujou getting ill after eating a dish introduced with flatulence. Pride FTW.

MFauli
Mon, 08-15-2016, 02:21 PM
Watched the first 5 of 30 or so episodes. Yeah, it´s fun. Still, I´d wish someone more "normal" in terms of state of mind would have these powers, aka someone more rotten.

Kraco
Thu, 08-18-2016, 12:31 AM
Still, I´d wish someone more "normal" in terms of state of mind would have these powers, aka someone more rotten.

That wouldn't work. He has enough power to destroy the world. In fact his greatest effort all the time is spent on keeping himself in check. That's why he's the way he is. There wouldn't be anything to watch in this show if it wasn't like this.

neflight86
Tue, 09-13-2016, 04:57 PM
Episode 10

Just wanted to say, that if you weren't interested in this show, and I could recommend only one episode for you to watch, this would be the one. Pretty much all of the jokes this episode fired on all cylinders and I wore a smile the whole time.

Munsu
Tue, 09-13-2016, 05:15 PM
I love this series.

Kraco
Wed, 09-14-2016, 12:51 AM
Yeah, this is still working great. Although personally I didn't care for the shitty game arc. If he's so worried about getting spoiled (that should only remove some of the enjoyment in any case), he should just get the foreign console instead. It has only a few owners in Japan. Or he could play on PC and not wait for the Japanese localisation. I'm sure the dude boasts perfect English due to one psychic power or another anyway.

neflight86
Wed, 09-14-2016, 12:07 PM
I thought of that segment as a kind of parody of the youtuber 'retro gamer/video game nerd' style show.

Munsu
Sun, 09-18-2016, 06:30 PM
Episode 11:

Probably the worst one of the season so far with all the crappy Cider shorts.

Last short was much better though.

Kraco
Mon, 09-19-2016, 02:38 AM
I do find it hilarious how they are clearly marketing alcoholic beverages to underage people. But otherwise this was a boring episode for the most part. Like you said, the last part fixed a lot.

It's quite hilarious how Saiki is stuck with all of these idiots and weirdos despite having so overflowing powers. But then again, 99% of his active time is seemingly spent on avoiding trouble and performing damage control.

Munsu
Mon, 09-19-2016, 08:04 AM
The previews for the next episode seem promising. Hope it delivers.

Kraco
Sun, 09-25-2016, 02:36 PM
Episode 12 - HS

- - - - - - --

That was a remarkably realistic depiction of airliner pilots at their work.

Munsu
Sun, 09-25-2016, 05:09 PM
Episode 12 - HS

- - - - - - --

That was a remarkably realistic depiction of airliner pilots at their work.

LOL, I loved this episode... it came off as incredibly packed with content. And cliffhanger ending!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-25-2016, 08:29 PM
As much as we thought Teruhashi was a stuck-up bitch at first, it's been fun watching her go all dere over Saiki. It's like the "girls like bad boys" saying but the opposite.

neflight86
Mon, 10-17-2016, 04:04 PM
Episode 15

Still going strong, but I wanted to specifically call out the parody of the first season theme. Very funny.

Munsu
Fri, 06-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Just finished this, overall quite fun and easy to watch. It got a bit too repetitive at times, and I prefer animes with actual arcs to them... but I really enjoyed this.

It was good to see that there'll be a second season also.

Munsu
Fri, 07-21-2017, 07:11 PM
Second season for early 2018:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-21/the-disastrous-life-of-saiki-k-anime-gets-2nd-season-in-early-2018/.119129