PDA

View Full Version : Amaama to Inazuma

MFauli
Mon, 07-04-2016, 03:26 PM

Kouhei Inuzuka is a teacher who has been caring for his little daughter on his own since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so he and his daughter Tsumugi have been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out Kotori is often alone since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together.

episode 1 is out
------------------------

Loved it. Finally, we get an anime again with a young that IS a young girl and not some moe-loli bait. Iīd say comparisons to Usagi Drop are most apt. Genuinely enjoy the way the daughter and dad interact with each other. Then thereīs this looming depression over the loss of his wife. Gives it a sad element. Iīm most curious if this anime will see a happy end, whatever that might entrail.

Only downside atm: Why this school girl? From the opening we know sheīll be around all the time. She even asks him to spend dinner with her. Even if she doesnīt have romantic intentions, WHY do anime need to force these "wrong" relationships into their stories? An adult, teacher no less, having an of-age female student with him just isnīt right. And if it doesnīt lead to anything romantic, then thatīs even worse, because itīs just a dumb tease. I hope Kouhei quickly finds a proper single woman so that this weirdness is put to an end.

At least Iīm hopeful this series will not end like Usagi Drop ;>

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-04-2016, 05:27 PM
You writing that "downside" with that avatar made me laugh.

EDIT:
Watched it. Hit all the right spots, as expected. I like the design of the JK. Her eyes are a lot sharper than I imagined from reading the summary. The loli is waaaaaay too cute.

Kraco
Tue, 07-05-2016, 01:47 AM
I like the design of the JK. Her eyes are a lot sharper than I imagined from reading the summary.

Funnily enough that's the exact thing I thought. Maybe I haven't paid enough attention reading the manga or her eyes are sharper in the anime.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 07-09-2016, 01:28 PM
I could go with a little less explanation of just how freaking good the rice was.

Other than that, pretty great show on all parts. That moment when the dad realizes he hasn't been eating dinner with his daughter, very touching.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-09-2016, 05:05 PM
Someone help remind me what anime/manga character Tsumugi's wild mess of hair reminds me of.

It's distinct and almost identical.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-09-2016, 05:20 PM
Taiga?
Nia?

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-09-2016, 05:38 PM
It's Nia.

Thanks.

MFauli
Sun, 07-10-2016, 03:18 AM
I was actually thinking of another character. But I also canīt remember the name. Was a young boy and his hair was black, but it also had that shape and length, and it looked just as ridiculous (seriously, get your daughter a hair cut! Wonder if thatīll happen as part of the "oh no, I was so busy I forgot to take care of her!" plotline).

Fake-edit: Ah , now I know. Itīs the little boy from BERSERK, although I wonīt go into detail here, no spoilers! Also, Eiji from Heroic Age has similiar hair. :>

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-10-2016, 03:05 PM
It's actually Leone (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=67558) from Akame ga Kill. I blocked out Leone apparently because all I can remember from that series is the glory that is Esdeath.

(Nia + Leone) x [Age Regression] = Tsumugi

MFauli
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Just saw episode 4
---------------------

Not that I dislike this anime, but the pure focus on cooking is bringing it down. I had hoped for a more well-rounded slice of life-experience, see Usagi no Drop.

Also, they REALLY ought to explain why itīs okay for a teacher to meet up with a female student of his. Thatīs just too weird.

Kraco
Tue, 08-02-2016, 07:00 AM
Also, they REALLY ought to explain why itīs okay for a teacher to meet up with a female student of his. Thatīs just too weird.

No, it's not. It's our world that's weird, treating every man like a potential pedophile. He's taking cooking lessons from the daughter of a restaurant owner and (very) minor TV cooking celebrity. He even asked the senior teacher if it's proper and a good idea. It would only be a problem if something much more happened, but, like you said yourself, this is so cooking oriented that it's unlikely, in good or bad. The girl aside, I don't think the idea of anything romantic has ever visited the teacher's mind, anyway. He's thinking of his daughter 100% of the time. What comes to Tsumugi, this development has been utterly beneficial for her. She gets to eat a lot more healthy food, spend quality time with her old man, and even learn something from Kotori, possibly, considering she hasn't got a mom as a role model, only a father and the father's delinquent looking friend.

MFauli
Tue, 08-02-2016, 07:38 AM
No, it's not. It's our world that's weird, treating every man like a potential pedophile.

And this anime cannot exist in a vacuum. It exists in that world of ourīs.

Also, even then it IS weird to meet a teenage girl, without having talked about it to her parents. Iīm on your side regarding the bullshit about marking every man as a sex criminal, Kraco, BUT: Be honest. If you had a daughter like her and one day you find out sheīs been meeting a single teacher regularly in private, would you be okay with it? No, you would have a very stern talk with both your daughter and that teacher. Maybe youīd enforce an agreement like "only when your mother or me is with you" or something.

The way itīs done in this anime ... is weird. And the reaction of his teacher colleagues was unrealistic, anyway. "Hey, Iīm meeting this this female student of mine in the evenings. Do you think thatīs okay?" - "NO!" - "Fuck, dude, stop at once! Youīll get yourself in serious trouble!"
Thatīs the reaction youīd get irl.

Iīm not saying that thereīs a romance in the coming here (although after Usagi no Drop Iīm prepared for anything), but if only she would finally say why sheīs so set on meeting with this teacher of hers, things would be better. Something like "You remind me of your dad, who left my mom and me when I was little" or "I admire you as a teacher and want to become one myself!". Itīs not difficult.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 08:23 AM
This anime exists in the world of anime.

Where Usagi drop manga ended like that.

Kraco
Tue, 08-02-2016, 09:13 AM
Also, even then it IS weird to meet a teenage girl, without having talked about it to her parents. Iīm on your side regarding the bullshit about marking every man as a sex criminal, Kraco, BUT: Be honest. If you had a daughter like her and one day you find out sheīs been meeting a single teacher regularly in private, would you be okay with it? No, you would have a very stern talk with both your daughter and that teacher. Maybe youīd enforce an agreement like "only when your mother or me is with you" or something.

The way itīs done in this anime ... is weird. And the reaction of his teacher colleagues was unrealistic, anyway. "Hey, Iīm meeting this this female student of mine in the evenings. Do you think thatīs okay?" - "NO!" - "Fuck, dude, stop at once! Youīll get yourself in serious trouble!"
Thatīs the reaction youīd get irl.

I don't know why, but you are depicting the situation like a feminazi would. In reality the teacher insisted on having Kotori's parent's permission and wouldn't want to meet her in private, for the first time, unless the mother was also present. The mom couldn't make it, but Kotori managed to convince the dude, which probably wasn't so hard since he's only thinking about his kid, and kids are notoriously easy to disappoint. Still, he wanted and got the permission at the very least. The meetings have also happened in Kotori's home/restaurant in her neighbourhood, and the little kid Tsumugi has been present as well every single time.

It's true that if I was Kotori's parent, I wouldn't have missed the first meeting no matter what, to be able to judge the teacher, but otherwise I could very well let this happen, as long as Tsumugi is always there, the meetings happen in the same place, and everything is otherwise always going according to the plan and properly. It's usually the teacher who is giving lessons to students, but in this modern world, why not the other way around as well?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 09:19 AM
but otherwise I could very well let this happen, as long as Tsumugi is always there,

Sick bastard. She's like 5! At least wait 5 more years before shoving her into a 3P.

MFauli
Tue, 08-02-2016, 12:03 PM
Ignoring shintaīs ... tendencies:

I don't know why, but you are depicting the situation like a feminazi would.

So Iīm depicting it like it would happen in the real world. Trust me, I hate "modern" feminists as much as any sane person, but thatīs just how itīd go.

And I find it hard to believe that youīd be okay with a male, single teacher visiting your attractive, past-pubescent daughter without any other adult around. Having Tsumugi with them is a weak excuse, sheīs so young that she could easily be told to have an afternoon nap or something. And then ... .
It simply doesnīt quite add up. If itīs about learning to cook, Japanese schools surely have courses or clubs for that. If the teacher wanted to learn cooking, surely thereīs an abundance of hot single moms around at kindergarten that would love to teach him. And if thatīs to uncomfortable, he could also join a school cooking club as the adviser.

Itīs just weird.

Again, two things need to happen:
1.) Him meeting her mother at long last.
2.) Her explaining why she is so attached to him. And letīs hope itīs not because sheīs in love with him, because that would justify all my "itīs weird"-complaints :P

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 12:38 PM
What tendencies? It's Kraco who said inappropriate things.

And I find it hard to believe that youīd be okay with a male, single teacher visiting your attractive, past-pubescent daughter without any other adult around.

So it'd be okay if she was ugly? Way to be judgmental.

So it'd be okay if she was pre-pubescent? Now who has strange tendencies.

David75
Tue, 08-02-2016, 01:09 PM
Kotori really seems to have feelings for her teacher. It's quite dangerous for an adult male to be in his situation, multiple times.

Kraco
Tue, 08-02-2016, 01:15 PM
I just keep thinking that if I had a daughter with a talent, like playing piano, would I be absolutely against the music teacher from her school giving her extra lessons once a week after school at my house, especially with the music teacher's kid hanging around as well (as a chaperon). I can't really see why not, unless I instantly disliked the teacher, which is why I said I wouldn't miss the meeting like Kotori's mother did. I think that was the pure anime part of this show's reality, especially considering she doesn't seem to be a totally neglecting parent otherwise.

This show merely presents a reverse case.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 01:21 PM
I think most parents wouldn't be okay with it, but her mother is an airhead who cosplays in a school uniform on TV.

MFauli
Tue, 08-02-2016, 03:33 PM
Kraco, but he isnīt her home room teacher. Heīs just one of many teachers (which subject btw? dunno), who happened to cross her path. I agree that having a music teacher teaching a student music would be okay. Heck, I myself had a music teacher as a child who taught me playing cello (no, I cant play it at all anymore). But thatīs not the situation at hand.

@shinta: first of all: lol :P Secondly: Her being past-pubescent matters because it makes her a sexually active human being. Now David thinks she actually has feelings for the teacher. Personally, Iīm not sure what it really is. The fact that we still donīt know why sheīs so obsessed about inviting the teacher to her has me sceptical. As I said, ever since Usagi no Drop, Iīm wary of such situations. And this one would be more dangerous than the one in Usagi no Drop! Heck, we know he is single. We know heīs not seeing any other women, despite certainly having the option to do so. Now this cute teenager girl spends all the time with him. Maybe thatīs my dick talking, but I know what I would do ;>

Instead of repeating myself, let me ask: What do you guys think is the reason for Kotori to continuously invite her teacher, even meeting him at the school?

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 04:54 PM
She's lonely and feels sorry for the daughter.

Eating with other people, assuming you don't despise them, is a nice thing. She can't very well ask her classmates to skip family dinner and eat at her place. There's no excuse. The teacher has a daughter's health and happiness as excuses.

They met at school by coincidence at first. Now they are friends. So it isn't strange at all. Not all adult males want to rape JKS. I know that doesn't sound convincing coming from me, but it's true. 3DPD.

MFauli
Thu, 08-04-2016, 10:03 AM
episode 5 is out
---------------------

It somewhat weirds me out how happy these people are about eating. Youīd think itīs the most important thing in the world.

Also, do they realize that you can take a look at the underside of a frying doughnut before its complete done? That way youīre alway in full control and nothing will burn. Itīs kinda shocking how dumb they are about cooking. Throw together the ingredients, form doughnuts, throw them into the oil till theyīre done, finished. Itīs so easy ...

And Kotori didnīt help my previous issue. Defending the teacherīs "normalness". Uhoh.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Youīd think itīs the most important thing in the world.

It kinda is, next to breathing and drinking.

MFauli
Thu, 08-04-2016, 10:38 AM

So every time you eat, you look at your food, your eyes are gleaming from happiness and every bite brings you closer to having an orgasm?

David75
Thu, 08-04-2016, 10:47 AM
So every time you eat, you look at your food, your eyes are gleaming from happiness and every bite brings you closer to having an orgasm?
Ever had a cat or a dog and watch them while you prepare their food and watch them eat ?

MFauli
Thu, 08-04-2016, 10:54 AM
Ever had a cat or a dog and watch them while you prepare their food and watch them eat ?

This anime is not about cats and dogs ;P

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-04-2016, 10:56 AM
I was just commenting about how silly you phrased it lol.

David75
Fri, 08-05-2016, 07:26 AM
This anime is not about cats and dogs ;P
Sure, but we humans can still have traces of similar behavior left ;)
Though it varies from an individual to another.
So I can certainly understand the behavior depicted in that show.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2016, 02:52 AM
That way youīre alway in full control and nothing will burn. Itīs kinda shocking how dumb they are about cooking. Throw together the ingredients, form doughnuts, throw them into the oil till theyīre done, finished. Itīs so easy ...

If the temperature isn't right then the thing becomes burnt anyway. You undercook the inside, then burn the outside while you rectify that.

And urinating.

This show is fun. I'm a but burnt out after watching 5 episodes in a row, but as a once-weekly thing this works.

You guys talked about how sharp the eyes of the girl looks. What popped out to me was how similar she looks to some hentai designs. It adds an interesting spin on how I see her.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 05:09 AM
It's pretty obvious that Kotori is falling hard for Kouhei and Tsumugi, or will be. Someone's gonna be a stepmom~!

What makes the execution of this series so well done is that you can see it. While her emotional state is typically obvious, Kotori infrequently has displays where it's not clear that she's getting excited about cooking/eating with them, getting attached to them emotionally (as a new family unit), or simply happy she won't be alone on a particular night. She wavers between these. Or sometimes they show something softer. She gets "melty" for lack of a better term.

This might be why her design has "sharp eyes," it's much easier to convey a subtle difference in her demeanor than it would be for the token round eyes design. Tsumugi gets something similar, but Tsumugi's childlike round eyes would make a teenager or an adult look insane (and is used that way in other series).

I can't be the only one who feels this is a more informative and accurate cooking series than SnS. These are home cooks, learning to follow a recipe left by a 'celebrity' chef. They're allowed to fail a little. Or learning tips from the other moms at kindergarten.

The point is that cooking isn't that hard, and home-cooked food tastes better than industrial garbage. Eating (and cooking) meals together is one of the strongest bonding situations there is in human society. Tsumugi was getting depressed, Kouhei was starting to lose connection with his daughter and her feelings, and Kotori is lonely as hell once her friends go home. Together, though, those problems fade away, and their various issues slide into the background where they can get healed.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 05:33 AM
Well, Kotori is way past age of consent in Japan anyway, which is 13. Are they in Tokyo? If so, it'd be 18. They'd only have to wait a year or two, which is probably enough time to convince Kouhei to break his normal society mindset about age gaps and cradle robbing.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 05:47 AM
I think of it as more in terms of how long it takes Kouhei to get over the loss of his wife. It hasn't been that long. They said it in the first episode. It's been like 6-8 months at this point.

He's been learning how to pick up the pieces and raise Tsumugi on his own.

Kotori's helping them heal, the same way the two of them are getting rid of Kotori's loneliness.

edit:
Kotori is an interesting case all by herself. Her friends comment that she's always eating, but due to her irrational fear of knives, she can't cook at home. It's become clear that Kotori spent most of her childhood (until very recently) spending her evenings eating with her mother in the open restaurant and talking to the customers. Since Kotori's mother has become so busy with television to make ends meet, Kotori is lonely and hungry. She needs to be near people cooking and eating to feel "normal" and she hasn't had that. I'm guessing she's been snacking constantly to try to reclaim that feeling, but she always looks depressed unless the food is really good and she's at least near her friends. She only experiences true joy when she's eating with others, especially homemade.

What I'm saying is that if anyone is "using" the others at this point, it's Kotori. Kouhei needs to learn how to cook wholesome meals and snacks for Tsumugi. Kotori is too afraid of knives to learn how to cook, and with this setup, she gets to eat good food with others while he does most of the work. A lot of the recipe suggestions are Kotori's.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 05:59 AM
If the temperature isn't right then the thing becomes burnt anyway. You undercook the inside, then burn the outside while you rectify that.

This is wrong. Weīre talking about a large amount of oil in a pan. Iīve fried a myriad of Wiener Schnitzel in my life, and Iīve never let it burn once (would be a waste, thereīs nothing more delicious than Wiener Schnitzerl!!). Itīs as I said: You keep watching the food as it fries, lifting it a bit if youīre unsure if itīs time to turn it on the other side. Even if the oil is very hot, that just means you have to keep better watch and turn it around more often, so that the outside doesnīt burn and the inside gets enough heat. Itīs really simple.

You guys talked about how sharp the eyes of the girl looks. What popped out to me was how similar she looks to some hentai designs. It adds an interesting spin on how I see her.

Lol, thanks, now I know why I find Kotori somewhat hot :P

Also screw all of you!!1 xD
First, I was posting about how I find it weird that Kotori and a single teacher are meeting. You kept telling me how thatīs not weird, how there is nothing romantic going on. NOW youīre all talking about them getting together as if it was obvious from the start!!11
Wahhh! :D

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 06:33 AM
Maybe your burner was too weak to burn things lol. When oil is really hot, it burns anything very, very quickly. For most food, flipping while deep frying them does very little because the item is submerged in oil. It just so happened that donuts float, so flipping actually mattered in this episode.

Wiener schnitzels are very thin and pan fried, not deep fried, so it's a completely different cooking process. It's very hard to under cook the interior of a butterflied and pounded slice of lean meat.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 06:42 AM
Also screw all of you!!1 xD
First, I was posting about how I find it weird that Kotori and a single teacher are meeting. You kept telling me how thatīs not weird, how there is nothing romantic going on. NOW youīre all talking about them getting together as if it was obvious from the start!!11
Wahhh! :D
It's still very innocent at this point. Kotori is lonely and seeks companionship, particularly for meals, because that's what her life used to always be. Kouhei and Tsumugi are mostly looking for help.

What started as a favor has become Kotori inserting herself to create a family unit from their two imperfect ones. What it will become is a true family unit, officially (stepmom) or otherwise (constant dinner buddies).

That's all we're saying. We're leaning toward "official" because as the series has progressed, there are hints Kotori is starting to get confused about what this partnership is to her.

edit:
If you're not sure about what I've been saying, rewatch eps 1 and then immediately rewatch eps 5, focus on Kotori's dialogue and expressions.
She outright says what she's after (someone to eat with) in the first episode, and now goes into overprotective-mode when she sees Tsumugi with a stranger. She's already sliding into that role, and it isn't "big sister."

It's a lot more like, "nervous young mother stalking her child on their first errand" (a common thing in Japan).

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 06:45 AM
I'm good with however it goes, but I always prefer cradle robbing stories. Wasn't that frigging obvious at this point?

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 07:11 AM
Maybe your burner was too weak to burn things lol. When oil is really hot, it burns anything very, very quickly. For most food, flipping while deep frying them does very little because the item is submerged in oil. It just so happened that donuts float, so flipping actually mattered in this episode.

Wiener schnitzels are very thin and pan fried, not deep fried, so it's a completely different cooking process. It's very hard to under cook the interior of a butterflied and pounded slice of lean meat.

I havenīt only cooked Schnitzel, shinta. Iīm actually really good at cooking. I never follow recipe, always come up with ideas on my own. And Burning never happens, unless Iīm a lazy fuck and simply forgot to turn the meat because I was watching TV or whatever. Letīs be honest, this anime makes cooking look harder than it is to appear special towards the audience. Same with the hyperboli reactions whenever they eat ("OMG ITS SO DELICIOUS I TOTALLY FORGOT THAT I WAS RAPED EARLIER TODAY!!!"). My father had a bakery, making "Krapfen" and stuff every day. I myself made Tempura a couple times. I know deep-frying. Itīs harder to have something burn than not. Thatīs all Iīm saying. And really, doughnuts? They take like a minute max anyway, theyīre done before burning could even begin to start, lol.

@Kotori: I mean, Iīd be delighted if she and teacher get together. I always enjoy it when older guys break social conventions and get unusually young girlfriends, it help purporting themes like that into real life - after all, I totally wanna marry a cute 16 year old girl at some point, and Iīm already 30!!1 ;P

BUT: If weīre now openly talking about the two of them maybe becoming a couple, you gotta give it to me that it WAS/is weird indeed!!1 Dunno who said it, but: Would you still be okay with a teacher meeting in private with your daughter, if you knew heīs romantically interested in her? Huh? Huh?! :P

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 07:28 AM
Comparing cooking a pan fried dish to a deep fried one didn't really make you sound like an experienced cook... So is saying it's impossible to burn things just by flipping them. Oil temperature and burning is one of the most common mistakes inexperienced cooks make. Google it and see.

It was their first time deep frying something. Give them a break.

BTW, tempura, again, is very hard to under cook on the inside, especially if you use seafood and thinly sliced veggies (as you should). Bone in fried chicken is probably one of the harder ones to cook right.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 07:36 AM
Even a beginner wouldnīt burn a deep fried dish if they actually LOOKED at the food, instead of praying to god that by following the recipe everything will turn out well.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 07:49 AM
They actually do. Food burns really fast in hot oil. Turns really dark in seconds.

If you start with really hot oil and drop the food in already, there's very little you can do to fix it. Removing the pan from the heat won't cool the oil fast enough, so the food will still burn. Taking the food out is only an option for some things. Panko breaded dishes don't take well to doing that. The grease gets absorbed too much while you're waiting for your pan to cool.

No matter how many times they flipped that donut, it was gonna burn anyway. If they take it out before that happens, the inside will be raw. The grease on the half cooked donut will soak in while waiting for the oil to cool if they wanna do a retake, basically resulting in a greasy double fried donut. You double fry french fries and korean fried chicken wings, not donuts lol.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 07:56 AM
BUT: If weīre now openly talking about the two of them maybe becoming a couple, you gotta give it to me that it WAS/is weird indeed!!1 Dunno who said it, but: Would you still be okay with a teacher meeting in private with your daughter, if you knew heīs romantically interested in her? Huh? Huh?! :P
No, we don't have to give you anything. He didn't even know she was his student until he was already there. She invited them. She invited a father and his daughter. That he's her teacher is incidental, they "met" at the park.

BTW, tempura, again, is very hard to under cook on the inside, especially if you use seafood and thinly sliced veggies (as you should). Bone in fried chicken is probably one of the harder ones to cook right.
Speak for yourself. Southern Fried Chicken has exactly four steps: Bread. Put in cast-iron skillet. Don't turn over until color changes. Let drain on a rack.

You don't have to worry about the temp of the batter, the oil doesn't have to be nuclear hot, and there's really no technique to it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 08:37 AM
You don't have to worry about the temp of the batter, the oil doesn't have to be nuclear hot, and there's really no technique to it.

I meant that from the perspective of an absolute beginner. First, they need to know that the oil mustn't be too hot, then they need to know to use a cast iron skillet to sustain the oil temperature (not non stick ones). Those are "techniques" that beginners wouldn't know at all. Also, I meant that comment specifically about under cooking the inside while burning the outside.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 10:06 AM
No, we don't have to give you anything. He didn't even know she was his student until he was already there. She invited them. She invited a father and his daughter. That he's her teacher is incidental, they "met" at the park.

He knew that she was a young girl, a student, his or anyoneīs. If a 15 year old girl invites you to come home with her, would you? (no reply from shinta pls, lol)

And I agree with Ryll, burning something with oil is hard. Especially with small stuff like doughnuts. Heat the oil, check with a wooden toll if it starts blubbering when you put it in, then throw in whatever you want to fry. Watch its color. Done. If itīs chicken with bone (called "Backhendl" here in Bavaria), you turn it around as many times as needed. It swims on the surface, so one side will not be in contact with the oil.

Sure, a TOTAL beginner who cannot even name the tools and ingredients might have some trouble. But I honestly cannot imagine somebody not knowing how to fry some meat or pancakes or whatever. Thatīs basic survival stuff.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Many people are like that lol. Three of my friends can't cook at all. They don't even understand that you need to heat the oil first before dropping stuff in.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:04 AM
Many people are like that lol. Three of my friends can't cook at all. They don't even understand that you need to heat the oil first before dropping stuff in.

You donīt need to. Depends on the food. When I make fishsticks, I put in the oild, put in fishsticks, turn on the stove. Makes no difference. Of course, you wouldnīt do it with a steak, omg.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:20 AM
What. The fish sticks would soak up all the oil and become greasy if you put it in cold oil. If you are pan frying them, they may even stick, unless you used a good non-stick pan. Cold oil french fries are another story.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:24 AM
So youīve never actually tried putting in fishsticks before the oil is hot, I assume? Less following recipes, more experimenting, shinta. cooking is fun.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:28 AM
But that's basic cooking know how. When you do that, the fish sticks boil in the oil, not fry. Maybe you just can't taste the difference. That might also explain how you can't imagine people enjoying food as much as the people in this show. And that also might explain why you even consider frying fish sticks something to brag about...

Kraco
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:44 AM
He knew that she was a young girl, a student, his or anyoneīs. If a 15 year old girl invites you to come home with her, would you? (no reply from shinta pls, lol)

They were both invited to her mother's restaurant initially to eat something good. Afterwards they were, again, invited to the restaurant where the mother was supposed to be present as well. As far as I'm concerned, he's doing everything very properly. If Kotori tried to hit on him and he wouldn't cut the meetings until she has graduated, then we could start to discuss about his morals.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:54 AM
I meant that from the perspective of an absolute beginner. First, they need to know that the oil mustn't be too hot, then they need to know to use a cast iron skillet to sustain the oil temperature (not non stick ones). Those are "techniques" that beginners wouldn't know at all. Also, I meant that comment specifically about under cooking the inside while burning the outside.
You misread what I wrote. "oil doesn't have to be nuclear hot" = the oil doesn't have to be hot as fuck like with tempura (260C+). You have to know that tempura is done on high heat, with specific oils that don't catch on fire at 250C, because, surprise, a lot of them do (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point).

Many oils you use with fried chicken have a much lower flash point, and it isn't nearly as heat dependent. You can fry chicken on a lower temp too. It works fine for beginners.

Southern fried chicken. You're doing it in a cast iron skillet. That's the only skillet you fry in. That might be the only fry pan you have. This is like going to SE Asia, and asking someone what they'd stir fry in. It's gonna be a wok, because that's all they have.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 12:10 PM
You misread what I wrote. I meant that beginners often burn the skin/breading of fried chicken or take them out nicely browned outside but with raw meat, especially near the bone because the oil is too hot. This part had nothing to do with tempura.

A cast iron skillet is great for keeping heat constant, which is ideal when frying. Too low, you get greasier chicken, too high, you burn stuff. Regardless of your financial status or tool availability, a cast iron skillet is a great tool for this purpose. This is especially true for fried chicken because dropping in large pieces, even if you avoid overcrowding the pan, still decreases the temperature of the oil a lot.

I didn't say that tempura was easier to make than fried chicken. I said it's harder to make under cooked tempura than under cooked bone in fried chicken. By under cooked, I mean the outside is cooked well, but the inside is still raw.

I said that because Mfauli seems to think it's impossible to burn things in oil, which is kinda ridiculous because most things in the kitchen burn in exactly that, especially for people who don't even know how to hold a knife right.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Everybody misreading everybody. Yay!

Also Kraco basically giving me permission to meet with his hypothetical underage daughter, nice.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 12:23 PM
You sick bastard. Stay away from real kids.

Kraco
Sun, 08-07-2016, 12:42 PM
Everybody misreading everybody. Yay!

Also Kraco basically giving me permission to meet with his hypothetical underage daughter, nice.

The teacher in this show has shown zilch interest in dating a student. Tsumugi is the only person he thinks about. You, however, have stated in this very thread you'd like to get together with an underage person. That's why I said earlier the mother shouldn't have missed the meeting. She ought to have checked out personally the man her daughter intends to teach isn't some slavering beast.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 12:48 PM
Before people start throwing torches at each other, I'd like to say my previous post about Mfauli being a sick bastard was just a joke.

MFauli
Sun, 08-07-2016, 01:05 PM
I assume it was, shinta, no worries.

The teacher in this show has shown zilch interest in dating a student. Tsumugi is the only person he thinks about. You, however, have stated in this very thread you'd like to get together with an underage person. That's why I said earlier the mother shouldn't have missed the meeting. She ought to have checked out personally the man her daughter intends to teach isn't some slavering beast.

You on the other hand need to lighten up :P
I have no interest in underage girls, 16 is fine with me ;D
Anyway, the point is, that meeting with the mother never happened. Also, youīd be an idiot if you only judged a guy after his outter appearance in terms of "risk" for your daughter. I have serious doubts that youīd be as ok with this situation as you are with it in anime.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 01:37 PM
Wait, is the chef mother widowed? I don't remember if they mentioned it in the story. Wouldn't it be absolutely epic of Kotori gets NTRd by her own mother when she finally meets Kouhei!?

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 06:37 PM
I thought they were divorced. They've said it, but it wasn't really important. What mattered was Kotori has no one at home in the evenings or weekends, but her mother is still there to provide her recipes that our trio can read without struggling too much.

I feel like Kouhei would be quite a bit more wary of a milf in cosplay putting the moves on him, as opposed to slowly getting seduced by Kotori as she continues to insert herself into their family unit.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 06:49 PM
What if her seduction works against her favor, locking her down in the friend daughter zone?

Kraco
Mon, 08-08-2016, 01:48 AM
She currently is in the friend zone. Their only meetings, aside from the occasional classes at school, are those where she's teaching him. It's kind of hard to fall into a clearly lower zone under such circumstances. Not to mention for Kouhei a daughter is a little kid like Tsumugi, not an almost adult like Kotori, I imagine. Besides, she's not an orphan, so it would be weird for someone else to start to think of her as a daughter.

She does have quite a tough road ahead of her, though, because he's obviously a good teacher, and thus he would need to beat teachers' ethics, general public opinion, and his own morals to view Kotori as a love interest.

All in all, however, I'm not sure the series will head down that road. Although for the sake of the wholesomeness and believability of the characters' personalities, Kotori in this particular case, there are those clear signs of romantic interest, this is still a cooking show. It could very well continue to be about nothing but cooking with a suggested tension of other kind in the background, but always only staying there in the background. I wouldn't particularly mind, to be honest. The Usagi Drop manga's ending clearly demonstrated what kind of a disaster can happen when a story doesn't stay the way that made people fall for it.

MFauli
Mon, 08-08-2016, 05:28 AM
Oh god, I really donīt know if Iīm ready for another Usagi Drop ;>

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-08-2016, 08:21 AM
I'm so ready for another Usagi Drop.

Kraco
Tue, 08-09-2016, 12:32 AM
Episode 6 - HS

- - - - - - -

Kotori has such a good friend. Outspoken by the Japanese standards, no doubt, but it's okay since she isn't malicious. Kouhei has a fine friend as well. Every series is made better by a capable delinquent.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-09-2016, 12:58 AM
Kotori has such a good friend. Outspoken by the Japanese standards, no doubt, but it's okay since she isn't malicious. Kouhei has a fine friend as well. Every series is made better by a capable delinquent.

His "!@#$, third wheel again?" comment was pretty good.

Chicken wing Gyoza look damn amazing.

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-09-2016, 03:46 AM
If anything, this episode made it clear that Kotori is fully aware of what their get togethers look like to outsiders, while Kouhei is focused on Tsumugi and doesn't realize it.

MFauli
Tue, 08-09-2016, 06:56 AM
I donīt know.

What I found a bit frustrating was how Kotoriīs friend didnīt directly mention it. She just brought her outside, but didnt say anything, even though she appeared to have "gotten it", gotten whatīs going on. Which ... sorry ... makes it once again weird :D
I had hoped that her close friend would be able to say "You like him Kotori?", which would give us some closure about her intentions.

Kraco
Tue, 08-09-2016, 08:12 AM
Nah, in my opinion it'd be hard to ask your high schooler friend if she's in love with a teacher not academically but in practice, when you know they are already cooking together more or less frequently. There's the stigma around, so it would be easy to make the friend get exceedingly defensive immediately. We actually saw the effect in Kotori's reaction when the friend first marched in. Under similar circumstances I probably wouldn't have asked any more directedly.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2016, 08:24 AM
This show is intentionally baiting the readers into interpreting Kotori's reactions as love while never confirming it, just like how the friend asked a different question than what everyone here was expecting. Troll author!

Ryllharu
Tue, 08-09-2016, 09:17 AM
@Mfauli

I think Shinobu didn't know which question to actually ask.

The first time she catches Kotori dropping off the lotus roots, Kotori's embarrassed face and stammering says it all. Shinobu has caught Kotori with a man in her own house, and they're washing up dishes (she sees Tsumugi later, because her line of sight is blocked by Kouhei). Kotori must be after the father. Tsumugi's line about a "customer" makes it only look worse. Shinobu's reaction after the explanation right after the OP pretty much tells the rest.

Kotori is perfectly aware what these rendezvous look like.

The second time (when Shinobu takes her outside), Shinobu isn't sure how this arrangement is meant to be taken. She sees a happy, smiling Kotori interacting with a little girl. Is it Kotori's playing family? Is it Kotori is in love with the pair in a stepmom way? Is it just that Kotori misses making food with her own mother? Is it that Kotori misses a lively restaurant?

Kotori freaks the hell out anticipating the question, and starts stammering another explanation.

But what Shinobu ultimately asks her is if she and Yagi are in the way because the trio is slowly learning how to cook themselves, and that Kotori must like the gentle pace, that Kotori doesn't cherish their friendship the same way she clearly loves learning with Tsumugi and Kouhei.

What Shinobu is really asking is, "Are those two more important to you than our friendship?" There's a ton of subtext that goes with that kind of question. It's the reason Shinobu phrases it the way she does. She doesn't ask outright if Kotori loves them because she's somewhat afraid of the answer (hence her blush and hesitancy asking it when outside).

Shinobu reads Kotori's answer that way, and is surprised/relieved when Kotori says she likes hanging out with her still as well.

They close it out with Shinobu pushing Yagi away from doing all the work, supporting the more innocent side to it, but the real answer is that Shinobu refuses to intrude on their regular thing by claiming she's busy. Shinobu is convinced that Kotori is falling for Kuohei/Tsumugi and doesn't want to interfere with the budding romance. That's also her bizarrely translated line to Yagi about, "preserving natural monuments."

MFauli
Tue, 08-09-2016, 10:01 AM
Okay, Ryll makes this anime sound deeper than Evangelion. I donīt know what to believe anymore!

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM
Everything Ryll watches is deeper than Evangelion.

MFauli
Tue, 08-09-2016, 10:13 AM
OMG I just noticed your new sig shinta! Thatīs triggering me so much!!11 >____________<

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2016, 10:32 AM
I was waiting ages for that reaction. Didn't disappoint.

MFauli
Mon, 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM
new ep is out
--------------------

For a few seconds I was scared heīd shout at Kotori, too, like "why didnīt you instantly call me?!" or "This is all because weīve been doing this stupid cooking!". But it was nice to see him act like a real dad. If this was a different show, a plot where Tsumugi dies would be interesting. He has the necessary eyes for a tragic hero.

Kotori in shirt was super hot.

Tsumugi singing was super cute. "Same, same, same, same, same!"

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM
These 3 need to become a family asap. Their age gap isn't even that big. Not even 10 years, IIRC.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-16-2016, 12:21 AM
For a few seconds I was scared heīd shout at Kotori, too, like "why didnīt you instantly call me?!

In this day an age, Tsumugi should have really called Kotori. But then we'd have missed out on The Adventures of Tsumugi, so whatever.

Cute voices and pony tail aside, the most interesting aspect was hearing Kotori mention her father again. Specifically, that they cooked together. How much of a fatherly figure is Sensei to her as opposed to a real lover? Only time will tell.

Or, as Usagi Drop would have it: why not both?

Kraco
Tue, 08-16-2016, 01:40 AM
In this day an age, Tsumugi should have really called Kotori. But then we'd have missed out on The Adventures of Tsumugi, so whatever.

Cute voices and pony tail aside, the most interesting aspect was hearing Kotori mention her father again. Specifically, that they cooked together. How much of a fatherly figure is Sensei to her as opposed to a real lover? Only time will tell.

Or, as Usagi Drop would have it: why not both?

In that respect this shares nothing with Usagi Drop. Kotori is already a high school student. She's not looking for a father figure for herself. On the other hand she's no doubt happy watching Tsumugi have the father figure she herself lost. But that's already a romantic interest in her case.

Watching this episode, I felt like Tsumugi's VA succeeded really well.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 08-20-2016, 06:03 PM
I can totally see Tsumugi as a pokemon trainer with her adventuring outfit.

MFauli
Mon, 08-22-2016, 08:50 PM
episode 8 is out
-----------------

nice episode. Poor Mikio, Tsumugi leaves no openng :(

Weīve been talking a lot about Kotori and sensei becoming a couple. However, this episode showcased the biggest hurdle: The teacher shows no interest in here AT ALL. I definitely think she likes him, but if he stays oblivious, then what can she do?

That bag ... waiting for drama to happen, when eventually itīs broken beyond repair.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-22-2016, 08:54 PM
What can she do? Nothing.

She just needs to wait until she's older and Tsumugi asks daddy to marry her.

Kraco
Tue, 08-23-2016, 12:23 AM
Kotori is lucky as long as Kouhei remains dense. He's so proper that if he noticed he's developing deeper feelings for a student of his own school, he would end the meetings immediately or only agree on them if there were lots of people present. When she's no longer a high school student things could change.

MFauli
Tue, 08-23-2016, 03:53 AM
But thatīs what would be interesting to watch, wouldnīt it, Kraco? We donīt need 13 episodes of happy cooking. We need actual plot progression.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-23-2016, 04:53 AM
You need 13 episodes of happy cooking and parenting, with a side of knife-phobia resolution. No drama please.

Kraco
Tue, 08-23-2016, 05:44 AM
This is a cooking centered show, so I very much doubt we will get development that stops the cooking. Which is just fine for me.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-23-2016, 07:30 AM
Mfauli is so complicated. First he wants this to stay away from romance, now he wants that romance subplot to develop.

MFauli
Tue, 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM
Stop, stop, stoooop! :P

I never said I didnīt want it. I said itīs weird. And it is. Which is WHY I want it :D If this ends as a cooking show, then itīd have been a waste of time imo. I want something more exciting, and this subtle romance plot is exciting. But it has to materialize before itīs over. Iīm not even demanding that the final episode ends with Kotori and him lying in bed. Just something like him realizing her feelings and smiling in response. The End. That would be nice.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-23-2016, 07:41 AM
I'm fine with it staying platonic, but I do want some form of concrete confirmation from Kotori that she likes him and will likely stay that way. I can easily imagine them getting together post anime with that. Without it, it's like we're half imagining this romance subplot anyway. I mean, Kotori is blushing 100% of the time, making it look like she is in heat every second, including the ones she's with the teacher.

Think about it. If her face looked like this all the time:
we wouldn't think she's romantically interested even with her worrying about his health and family issues.

Kraco
Tue, 08-23-2016, 08:09 AM
Named or otherwise significant girls in this show are blushed all the time, aren't they? Kotori's friend is, a kindergarten teacher is, the kids themselves don't even need to be mentioned. Alas, the moms of the other kids aren't anymore able to do it 100% of the time.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-23-2016, 08:16 AM
Yeah, that's why Kotori needs some sort of visible confirmation of her feelings so we can confirm the pairing's finality.

People can sexualize anything:

MFauli
Tue, 08-23-2016, 09:13 AM
lewd! damn u, shinta

MFauli
Mon, 08-29-2016, 06:01 PM
episode 9 is out
----------------------

Good episode overall.
What I wanna see more of is the teacherīs thoughts and emotions. We sometimes get a glimpse of whatīs going through his head, but itīs always very quick and short. He appears to be living for Tsumugiīs sake alone, having no life on his own. He even declined a rare invitation from his best friend.

I feel like thatīs the most interesting plot element. Tsumugi is a stupid, albeit funny child. Thereīs not much to be had other than observing her day-to-day adventures. Kotori-chan is a possible flag for the teacher, but sheīs too passive. It all hinges on him himself to do something that makes for some exciting plot progression. Iīm not necessarily expecting him to say "omg, I need to make Kotori-chan my new wife!". But with how this episode ended, itīd be nice if he came to the general realization that itīd be a good thing to find a new mother for Tsumugi. Which then cooooooould lead to some more development with Kotori-chan. Althouh that mother they shared the white circle with at the Kindergarten was quite a looker, too ;>

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-30-2016, 08:31 PM
Thereīs not much to be had other than observing her day-to-day adventures

I'm quite content with just that.

Kotori-Chan recharges my life. Seeing slow development is fine as well.

Last episode had her refuse to replace mum's bag. This episode she's happy enough for dad to keep cooking mum's dish.

Slow hints of them getting on with life is A-ok. Don't push this into weird territory.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-30-2016, 08:36 PM
Kotori or Tsumugi recharges your life? Your pronouns confuse me.

Also, don't worry. I'm certain this will go into weird territory one way or another. Japan yo.

Kraco
Wed, 08-31-2016, 12:48 AM
Only 3 episodes to go according to AniDB. This wouldn't have time to head into any weird territory. The manga hasn't done that either, and I hope it never will.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-31-2016, 01:15 AM
Manga? I read Kotori admitted to having the hots for her teach in the source.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-31-2016, 02:22 AM
Kotori or Tsumugi recharges your life? Your pronouns confuse me.

Also, don't worry. I'm certain this will go into weird territory one way or another. Japan yo.

Tsumugi recharges.
Kotori expends.

MFauli
Wed, 08-31-2016, 04:47 AM
Only 3 episodes to go according to AniDB. This wouldn't have time to head into any weird territory. The manga hasn't done that either, and I hope it never will.

Did you just really spoil the story? Mentioning manga spoilers? Come on :/ Really shitty.

And I wouldnīt need it to reach into weird territory. Just some plot progression. I hate "monster of the week"-shows. Iīd be content if the anime ended with the teacher coming to the realization that his life isnīt over just because his wife died.

Kraco
Wed, 08-31-2016, 05:17 AM
Did you just really spoil the story? Mentioning manga spoilers? Come on :/ Really shitty.

And I wouldnīt need it to reach into weird territory. Just some plot progression. I hate "monster of the week"-shows. Iīd be content if the anime ended with the teacher coming to the realization that his life isnīt over just because his wife died.

Huh? What did I spoil? All I'm saying is that so far the manga hasn't done Usagi Drops. But then again, the manga isn't that much ahead of the anime, so there's still plenty of time for an ending that would ruin everything.

But, yeah, sorry if I spoiled your fun when you were eagerly expecting Kouhei to get incestous with Tsumugi before the end of the anime season. Or whatever else weird things you wanted.

MFauli
Wed, 08-31-2016, 06:43 AM
Lol, Iīm not expecting incest, rest assured. But your posting basically spoils that there wonīt be anything happening between Kouhei and Kotori any time soon. Which I didnīt want to know.

Kraco
Wed, 08-31-2016, 07:14 AM
Lol, Iīm not expecting incest, rest assured. But your posting basically spoils that there wonīt be anything happening between Kouhei and Kotori any time soon. Which I didnīt want to know.

No, it doesn't. I only reacted to "weird". Who would considering anything happening between those two weird? My definition of weird is the ending of Usagi Drop or something similarly fucked up. I wouldn't consider something happening between Kouhei and Kotori weird, so you don't need to worry about me spoiling such development or lack of it.

And like I said, there isn't too much of the manga out, so nobody aside from the mangaka would even know any real spoilers. This anime couldn't be much longer than this cour or they would run out of source.

But yeah, I'm sorry if I made you feel like you were spoiled. I'll try to be more careful in the future.

MFauli
Wed, 08-31-2016, 07:48 AM
Ok. I assumed youīd consider KouheixKotori weird.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-31-2016, 07:52 AM
Why would he? He was like rooting for them to get together from the start. Unless he thinks he's weird.

I mean, I don't think I'm weird, but I want a threesome ending with Kotori and Tsumugi.

MFauli
Wed, 08-31-2016, 08:21 AM
:/

Calm down, shinta

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-31-2016, 09:09 AM
C'mon, don't tell me it never visited your mind?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-01-2016, 12:24 PM
This is why we can't have good things.

Kraco
Mon, 09-12-2016, 04:31 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- - - --- -

Using their fingers to flip the crepe looks crazy. What on Earth is the point of that?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-12-2016, 10:44 PM
It's easier. I do that all the time with my crepes. Stupid spatulas tend to tear those delicate sheets. I'm surprised these JKs have finger callouses from heat like mine though...

Kraco
Tue, 09-13-2016, 12:39 AM
I guess I'm simply a coward, then. It would never visit my mind to try that.

MFauli
Tue, 09-13-2016, 05:55 AM
Yeah, was weird.

Also, I kinda give up on any romantic progression. Ah, what could have been ... (itīs even sadder, because Kotoriīs friend is totally making the move on Yagi, lol)

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-13-2016, 07:33 AM
Parenting is hard work man.., hats off to Sensei. I was getting annoyed at Tsumugi for a the last episode or two for not being "perfect".

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-13-2016, 07:50 AM
Me too. Tsumugi is annoying as hell sometimes.

MFauli
Tue, 09-13-2016, 08:02 AM
Yeah, fuck little kids! (not literally, shinta!!1)

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-13-2016, 08:08 AM
Aww...

Kidding aside, Tsumugi is too young even for me. Hebehebehebe....

Kraco
Mon, 09-19-2016, 02:30 PM
Episode 12 Final - HS

- - -- - - - -

Not bad as far as inconclusive final episodes go. This episode actually managed to incorporate all the common aspects of the whole show: Kouhei's struggle as a widower and single parent, Tsumugi's struggle without a mom, Kotori liking food and sensei (hard to say which one more), cooking at the Iida restaurant, and Shinobu & Yagi both being present. As an added bonus we finally got Kotori's mom (it was nice to hear Kuroko's VA in a totally different kind of a role).

Yagi is a good character in the cast having the role of a rough dude. He won't take nonsense even from Tsumugi. Although he was still a fanboy of a TV cook...

I wouldn't mind if this got a second season at some point.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-19-2016, 02:53 PM
We've already seen the mom before, in a school uniform on TV no less.

Ryllharu
Mon, 09-19-2016, 05:35 PM
I know the feeling Tsumugi went through at the okonomiyaki restaurant. When your family cooks at home most of the time, going out to eat can ultimately be an unpleasant experience. Especially if you have to wait a while or the food ends up being mediocre. All you can think of is, "I could have done this faster and better by myself." (and cheaper)

Cooking is half the enjoyment for me at this point.

edit:

(it was nice to hear Kuroko's VA in a totally different kind of a role)
I bet that's reasonably close to what she sounds like in real life when she's not on variety shows and such.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-19-2016, 10:50 PM
I research a ton before eating out, so I'm usually not disappointed. It's partly the dad's fault for not asking the waiter about how they serve okonomiyaki. Also, isn't it retarded to have a hot plate on the table for the sole purpose of... reheating an already hot dish? I've eaten at a server cooked okonomiyaki place in Osaka, but at least they made the food in front of you. And you have the option of doing it yourself if you want.

The way they served okonomiyaki here almost felt fast-foodish.

neflight86
Tue, 09-20-2016, 12:22 AM
I know the feeling Tsumugi went through at the okonomiyaki restaurant. When your family cooks at home most of the time, going out to eat can ultimately be an unpleasant experience. Especially if you have to wait a while or the food ends up being mediocre. All you can think of is, "I could have done this faster and better by myself." (and cheaper).

I never had thoughts or value judgments like that about eating out when I was four. I think she wanted to 'do the thing' like her dad said and it turned out this place does that thing for you. Kids love doing things themselves because they are often told they cannot do things until they are older, so I imagine her disappointment came from not being able to... do the thing, so she did another thing instead.

Very warm show that felt pretty light on sap.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-21-2016, 01:04 AM
I research a ton before eating out, so I'm usually not disappointed.

I'm the opposite. If you ask "where shall we go to eat?", I'll look around and find the nearest place (assuming I've never been to any of the restaurants before to get an idea).

I know someone who hunts a lot (not researches, just hunts and looks at menus) and I get sick of it. They judge the taste of the food by how it sounds on the menu and how popular the place appears to be. I use my own tongue. If I like the place, I'll be back. If I don't, at least I know why. (and it won't be "I heard it's bad, but I don't actually know".)

MFauli
Wed, 09-21-2016, 06:53 AM
Aaaanyway, back on topic: That was the finale? Oh ...

Cant say this anime is a must-see. Itīs something nice to pick along other shows, but it has too little drama, too little progression. I know, the popular excuse will be "thatīs not what this anime wanted to be", but I disagree. There was ample room for "more".

Also, if I were Inazuka-sensei, Iīd go all in: mother AND daughter or nothing. Itīs worth the risk ...!