PDA

View Full Version : Tales of Zestiria the X

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-04-2016, 02:02 PM
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/TalesofZestiriaTheX-Episode1-Omake-10_zpsrnqcr0ce.gif
Synopsis:
Sorey is a human youth who grew up among the seraphim, spiritual beings not visible to humans. Sorey believes in the folklore that says "long ago, every human was able to see the seraphim" and dreams of unraveling the ancient mystery to make the world a place where people and seraphim can live together in peace.

One day, Sorey visits the human capital for the very first time. He becomes embroiled in an incident during which he pulls out a holy sword embedded in a rock and ends up becoming a Shepherd, one who casts away calamity from the world. He begins to realize the gravity of his mission, and his dream of coexistence between mankind and the seraphim becomes more intense—

And thus, the Shepherd embarks on an amazing journey with his companions.

(Source: Official site)

Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=826691):

Amazing animation. Ufotable does it again. Not much to say about the story yet because the main character hasn't even shown up, but my expectations have been raised by the first episode.

Sample:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g310/shinta617/TalesofZestiriaTheX-Episode1-Omake-6_zpsvnrqhgp0.gif

The style and overall quality reminds me of Fate Zero.

Kraco
Mon, 07-04-2016, 02:56 PM
I'd have liked to try the game, but half of the comments called the game a grind fest and the combat system broken. However, an Ufotable anime ought to fix those issues, so I chose to watch this instead. Like you said, it's pretty funny the main character is nowhere to be seen. I've previously seen a lengthy video from Zestiria, perhaps it was the game OP or something, and thus this anime beginning was actually nice in my opinion as it was totally different. Looked very promising too. Jolly good combat and action.

MFauli
Mon, 07-04-2016, 03:27 PM
I´ve started the game months ago but far from finished. Will not watch this anime, because then I have zero motivation to keep playing ;>

Shadow Skill
Tue, 07-05-2016, 07:41 AM
After this first episode I am tempted to buy the game. Hopefully it is on PS4.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-05-2016, 07:51 AM
But they say the gameplay sucks.

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-05-2016, 08:35 AM
I could swear that there was a "Zestiria" already? OVA or something? I couldn't stand the 2(?) MCs back then (+ the lack of story/background overall) and didn't watch the whole episode because of that.

well. it's ufotable once more, so I'll give it a try anyway.
Are they connected (prequel/sequel) or is this basically a fresh start.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 07-05-2016, 06:14 PM
But they say the gameplay sucks.

Does not matter to I. I've played a lot of shitty grind games over time. Most recently Sword Art Lost Song. 900 levels of grind and I'm still at level 700 or 750 something like that. I gave up on maxing out to 1000 lol. Story wise and battle system wise SAO Lost song was not bad. Just the grind was boring.

Don't matter to me about the battle system. Most Tales games Battle System is debateable on what is good.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 07-06-2016, 03:22 AM
So I am guessing Tales of Zestiria and Berseria are connected. I mean the MC from Berseria is seen fighting the the MC from Zestiria.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-07-2016, 01:27 AM
The trailer had CGI that I wasn't terribly fond of so I planned to skip this. If shinta praises the animation then I'll add it to the list.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-07-2016, 01:38 AM
Fuck the list. Watch the first episode now!

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 07-07-2016, 03:52 AM
Just watched this first episode.
Interesting setup and I enjoyed the princess.
Fight scenes were outstanding, lots of cool effects too.

Directing-wise, this episode could have used some work. Lots of weird cuts in the first half and a bit too much flat exposition.

Then there's the OP at the end, where I realize we're probably getting not one but two generic RPG game leads. That killed my excitement. Can't it just be about the princess?

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing more.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-07-2016, 09:15 AM
You should've been focusing on the loli's waki, not some dumb story or non-existent protags.

Kraco
Sun, 07-10-2016, 02:55 PM
Episode 2 - HS

-- - --

And so Shinta already dropped this show when the loli disappeared from the screen.

I think this series will keep me nicely entertained. The world is interesting, the characters aren't bad, the action isn't bad. Hard to say about the story yet, but I do like a setting with heavy history.

The female MC is a real princess, after all. She became quite timid when she's not at all in control and is left alone. It's quite a strange contrast between her impressive fighting skills, but not unrealistic, I'd say. She wasn't raised as a self-reliant adventurer, after all.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Dropped.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 07-10-2016, 04:48 PM
I ordered the Collectors edition for PS4. :)

Munsu
Tue, 07-19-2016, 10:17 PM
So, it looks like Horriblesubs renumbered all releases by the looks of it. What was episode 1, I think it's now episode 00v2, what was considered episode 2, is now episode 01v2.

I guess this release which seems is from 2 days ago, and numbered episode 2 (is actually the 3rd episode, and still not discussed here?)

Well, here's episode 2 (or episode 3):
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=831239

Anyways, just began watching the series. No opinion on it yet, merely halfway through episode 00v2. Feels a bit disjointed so far, which seems too common for me lately.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-19-2016, 10:25 PM
3rd episode was good. Everything moved. So I guess Sorey and princess is the main pairing in this story.

Kraco
Wed, 07-20-2016, 02:52 AM
Sorey and the princess would make a nice couple: Both are good fighters, both are fans of the Shepherd legend, but Sorey knows nothing of the world while the princess is burdened by everything she knows. It's a nice balance of similarity and contrast.

Munsu
Thu, 07-21-2016, 09:06 PM
And now I've caught up, yeah I think I'm really going to enjoy this one. Hasn't really enthused me yet, but it seems to have the necessary elements to do so as it goes along.

I also much prefer this animation attempt from ufotable than what they offered with God Eater (which sadly turned a lot of viewers away because of it).

Also, how are all the "Tales of..." series related? Do they share some sort of mythology? I honestly haven't cared to watch any of them. I only recall watching Tales of the Abyss, which I don't think I ever finished (and if I remember it turned to shit halfway through). That said, kinda want to finish it now for completeness sake. Maybe it improved after I stopped.

With that in mind, if you guys have watched any of those "Tales of..." series, any in particular you may recommend?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-21-2016, 09:36 PM
Tales is something to play, not watch.

Except maybe Symphonia and this one, because Ufotable.

Shadow Skill
Thu, 07-21-2016, 10:23 PM
Tales of Destiny is my favorite of the series, I always wished they'd do an anime of it.

lelouch
Sun, 07-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Episode 4 is out:
---------------------------------------------------

Dang, Ufotable really loves the King Arthur story doesn't it?

Kraco
Sun, 07-24-2016, 03:06 PM
Dang, Ufotable really loves the King Arthur story doesn't it?

Does this have anything else to do with it save a sword stuck in a stone and the lady granting it to someone worthy?

This was really fast development in my opinion, making it feel like the seraphim sky village was right next to the princess's city, among other things. I also didn't like it how Sorey didn't call bullshit on Lailah's claim the Shepherd path is destined to be so forlorn. In such a situation the hero is supposed to tell the girl that he will reforge that sad path into a much happier one!

The foxy villain is quite an intriguing character and not totally one-dimensional either. It's nice he seems to be sticking around.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 07-24-2016, 04:19 PM
So after playing the game and watching the new episode. The scenes at the pulling of the sword are done better in the anime than in the game. The game was some dude turned in to a Hellion and fell in the fire. Less destruction than what happened this episode. The dialogue almost word for word though.

I finally see why people hated the combat system. The dodge mechanic does not work and it's not free roam. 99 % of the time if you try and dodge, the system makes you run at the boss and you can't block or evade. I wonder how that slipped past Namco's quality assurance team.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-24-2016, 05:40 PM
Animation was superb. Merchant lady was obviously the assassin.

Where the hell did the loli waki go?

Munsu
Sun, 07-24-2016, 10:24 PM
So, plot twist! Marika goes back in time and through a parallel universe!

http://i.imgur.com/Yfis0xr.jpg

Same VA and all!

David75
Sun, 07-24-2016, 11:28 PM
Animation was superb. Merchant lady was obviously the assassin.

Where the hell did the loli waki go?
Merchant Lady has been seen episode 1 as the 3 person team boss attacking Alisha. She's the kitsune's boss too. Same assasin's outfit and we also get to see her face around 7'53"
But even without remembering the first ep, it was pretty obvious.

I like the art values and clean image and details. That show is technically a nice watch. Except for faces, that same setting would mesh well with Claymore... Or the butchered Berserk season we are getting...
But the pacing and storytelling is lacking. Probably because the sword part is so overused. They should have found some twist and accelerate that part, because it was boring to wait for the obvious to happen.
It's actually a shame because everything but the storytelling/pace is very pleasing.
Now that the sword subplot is over, I guess we might be lucky to get a better story.

Kraco
Mon, 08-01-2016, 01:23 PM
Episode 5 - HS

- - - - - - -

Sometimes this really feels like watching gameplay, not necessarily visually but atmospherically, like when they were fleeing the collapsin tomb or when Lailah was explaining how the MC must meet and collect seraphmon. I don't mind that much, though, since it still works and the characters are interesting.

It'll be fairly interesting to see how the larger story works out considering especially Sorey but also the princess must keep themselves pure, yet there are plenty of rotten people. How are they to deal with them if they can't easily purge the pus without dirtying themselves?

Munsu
Mon, 08-01-2016, 01:53 PM
Episode 5 - HS

- - - - - - -

Sometimes this really feels like watching gameplay, not necessarily visually but atmospherically, like when they were fleeing the collapsin tomb or when Lailah was explaining how the MC must meet and collect seraphmon. I don't mind that much, though, since it still works and the characters are interesting.

It'll be fairly interesting to see how the larger story works out considering especially Sorey but also the princess must keep themselves pure, yet there are plenty of rotten people. How are they to deal with them if they can't easily purge the pus without dirtying themselves?

It's a nice series to follow, but this episode in particular I felt it a bit empty in that I think a lot of time got wasted, and when things finally got interesting, episodes ended.

It was nice to see all the Seraphs in action though.

As I understand it, it seems like our main characters may not appear in the next episode and that we'll be getting a cross-over with some other Tales of... series or something. It wasn't quite clear, but that's what I've gathered so far.

Considering how the episode ended, not sure how they'll manage it unless they move us to a different location. I don't know, we'll see.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-02-2016, 06:27 PM
Good animation. The faces are always perfect.

I kind of understand why they experimented on God Eater. They were planning to heavily incorporate 3DCG into their upcoming shows, like this one.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 03:51 PM
Episode 5 or 6 by whichever count you're going with:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=837974

Well, as mentioned this was a "crossover" episode... though not much crossover, as just a different series. It's a promo episode for Tales of Berseria, a game being released in a few days from now. There'll be a second promo episode after this one.

Tales of Berseria from what I gather takes place in the same world as Zestiria, but in the very distant past. The only thing I found curious was that the antagonist was called Artorius. Considering the connections to the Arthurian Legend, I wonder if there'll be any connections to that little tidbit. I highly doubt it.

Anyways, I hope if we're going to waste our time in an obvious obnoxious marketing ploy like this one, that they do a better job connecting the two series for us and make our time worth spending in these two episodes. Otherwise, no reason to care for them.

I found the episode fairly boring as well.

Kraco
Mon, 08-08-2016, 08:01 AM
Can this really be totally unrelated? It would be the strangest thing ever to have such a thing in the middle of the season. If this is the distant past, logic would dictate it has some effect and significance in Zestiria. Perhaps background information we are better off knowing?

If this really is nothing but irrelevant advertising, I hope the strange mushrooms the studio staff was eating also tasted good, not only made them do stupid shit.

lelouch
Mon, 08-08-2016, 11:04 AM
Yeah I have no idea what I'm watching / what's going on with this series

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-08-2016, 11:07 AM
Berseria is related to Zestiria.

Shadow Skill
Mon, 08-08-2016, 11:40 PM
The PS4 opening was used at the end of episode 5. Only difference is there is vocal singing in the episode and the game is instrumental. I was wondering why I didn't come across those characters if they are in the distant past. Maybe it leads up to the sword in the stone that Sorey pulls out. :/

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-09-2016, 12:15 PM
I liked the waki at the beginning, then they had to ruin it with armor...

Kraco
Sun, 08-21-2016, 02:24 PM
Episode 7 - HS

- -- - - -

The brief history lesson is over and we are back to action. Now that I think about it, if it never amounts to anything else, at least those two eps did reveal that while Dragons are tough, they can still be beaten. Although Sorey still has a long way to go until he can kick as much ass as the characters we saw in the flashback.

Watching the scenes where those two are together, I can't help but believe the princess has fallen helplessly in love with Sorey. Just seeing him makes her smile nonstop and boosts her spirits up like no magic potion could. Not to mention she goes out of her way to try to be in his company, despite being a princess. If she was merely looking up to the Shepherd, I wouldn't imagine she'd behave quite like that but rather more businesslike even if respectfully.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 08-22-2016, 06:18 AM
She's has grown up reading all kinds of stories about seraphim and the Shepherd wishing that it was real. Then she actually finds both.
He is the living embodiment of that. I don't think it's love. At this stage she is just amazed with Sorey and everything that he can do because he is the Shepherd.

Kraco
Mon, 08-22-2016, 08:18 AM
You could be right, but do you think she would behave the same way if the Shepherd had turned out to be some tough looking, battle scarred veteran of 35 years of age, instead of a boy of her own age?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-22-2016, 08:42 AM
Yes. Women her age tend to look up to those types.

Kraco
Sun, 08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Episode 8 - HS

- - - - - -

Adding a kuudere to the harem works every time.

Not a bad dragon fight. Almost reminds me of fighting a dragon for the first time in Skyrim. It's a good thing this dragon is so tough and couldn't be defeated by a n00b Sorey.

While it's good it's not a pure one dude plus lots of girls harem, somehow Mikleo is only getting more and more bland. His adventure alone feels like a bore already. He works better in Sorey's company in a straight man role as Sorey is sort of reckless and naive.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 08-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Pretty sure he's coming back to Sorey now. He just wanted to be on somewhat equal grounds with him. Now he can.

Kraco
Mon, 09-05-2016, 03:29 PM
Episode 9 - HS

- - - - -- --

The good effects really help this story. I don't mind the CGI either; serpent vs drake fight, as short as it was, looked pretty badass. The game mechanics are kind of iffy, with Sorey combining with the different seraphim depending on the situation, which is natural in a game (regardless of if it suits players' personal preferences), but it's kind of strange in a TV show because it downplays individual characters, making them accessories. Fortunately they are still given enough lines, opinions, and such to alleviate the effect.

Sorey is powering up quite fast. The princess needs to find something she can do if she intends to stay relevant. At least she learned to hear the voices. No doubt she's already dreaming of seeing the seraphim.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-05-2016, 04:35 PM
Isn't she just there to make Sorey look good, much like everyone else is?

Shepherd this, Shepherd that. Baaa... Baaaa.... Baaaaaaa...

They all sound like sheep.

Edna is the only exception and makes this story good. Notice how one of the straps on her shoulders are always slipping down her arm? That can't be an accident on her part.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 09-06-2016, 10:32 AM
I'm more a fan of Alisha's hot pants and fabulous hair.

Kraco
Tue, 09-06-2016, 03:08 PM
While I do think Edna is a jolly good addition to the cast and her personality made the biggest impact, I'm an Alisha fan. Hard to specify why, but I simply like her a lot as a character.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Well Alisha does look good.

What I really don't like is the red spirit girl. She always looks so happy, like a friggin clown. And well all know everyone likes clowns.

Kraco
Sun, 09-11-2016, 05:25 PM
Episode 10 - HS

- -- - - - - -

I suppose Shepherd should be impartial what comes to countries and peoples, but on the other hand if war breeds lots of malevolence, he can hardly stay out of it. His goal has to be then the same as Alisha's: preventing the battles. Not that the reality ought to be so simple that would be easier done than said.

I keep liking Alisha. She has a really sturdy backbone. At least so far. Normally I don't much like characters spouting idealistic bullshit, but she's somehow making it work. At least so far. Perhaps one reason is that while she has that idealism and spent lots of time dreaming of the Shepherd and seraphim, and other things normal people laughed at, she's still at the same time very practical and gets things done. She's fluent at ordering the knights and soldiers around, arranging and managing things, making decisions, not to mention fighting. That's pretty nice dualism. Those aspects should conflict with each other somewhat, but instead they just build her personality.

I feel like Sorey's character started to get some much needed growth by encountering the human hellion and the meaning behind it.

Kraco
Sun, 09-18-2016, 12:18 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- - - - - -

As much as I like Alisha, she should have had a couple of contingency plans. Even she can't be so naive she would think those lords hating her anti-war stance would always perfectly obey her and back down whenever she catches them planning or performing something wicked. Launching an open war is such a drastic deed already that she should have foreseen they would be ready to get rid of her for good if she tried to interfere. While, exceptionally, I actually did agree on being unable to hurt the soldiers too much while still insisting they can't wage a war, it was thus especially stupid to storm the HQ all alone. If she had had an equal number of soldiers with her, those grunts would have thought twice about attacking.

That being said, she can't let that general live. A monarchy is worth nothing if subjects go unpunished after trying to murder the ruler. It's not even about her personal safety but the stability of the whole kingdom.

It was pretty funny how Sorey started to celebrate successfully stopping the war, only to realise he merely stopped a single battle, which wasn't even the largest one.

Looks like the next ep will be the last for now, but a continuation is already established for 2017.

Munsu
Sun, 09-18-2016, 12:44 PM
As Kraco mentioned, season 2 has been greenlit for 2017:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-09-18/tales-of-zestiria-the-x-tv-anime-gets-2nd-season-in-2017/.106610

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-18-2016, 09:07 PM
The translation for this episode was terrible.

(Doushi da = Yes, the Shepherd) became (Doushita = What is it?). Alisha wasn't even asking a fucking question.

And "kusarikatabira" is chain mail, not chain armor. Sure, it sorta means the same thing, but when you pay a pro to do translations, you expect a better product.

And somehow, "Arrow Rain," which was said in English, became "Arrow Squall" in the subs. Why change actual English text to something else?

And (Suru ka! [in context] = "As if!") was translated as "Yeah, sure!" in the post ED scene. WTF.

David75
Sun, 09-18-2016, 11:34 PM
Even I did notice some problems... When I'm not even learning the language actively.

Regarding quality: time and price.
They want fast subs to simulcast.
They need many translators available at the right time.
If they want quality, well that means money, provided you have enough quality and fast subbers available in the first place.

For the mistakes here, some QC probably would have been enough.

Also, I'm wondering if they improve the subs over time.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-19-2016, 12:22 AM
I'm no pro and I caught those issues in my first viewing. They must've been really cutting costs for this to happen.

Kraco
Mon, 09-19-2016, 02:33 AM
To be honest I'm more bothered by how a character calling another character by their title is instead subbed into the other person's name. I'd like translators to be objective, not deem themselves superior to the original author, script writer, and director. Combined with what you pointed out, Shinta, these translators are not only unskilled but also arrogant.

I'd be pissed off if I actually paid anything for watching this. I would file a complaint. Now I hardly have a right to say anything.

Kraco
Sun, 09-25-2016, 01:39 PM
Episode 12 - HS

--- - - -- - -

This felt annoyingly abridged. That squire contract came out of nowhere. The dude following Rose could have used a more solid entrance instead of simply joining the group with nobody asking any questions. Why or how was Alisha healed despite it looking like she was actually dying. That had to happen before the contract. This still has a long way to go to fall to the level of the UBW movie, but things like this will make this feel more like fanservice for those who already played the game.

Still, I didn't dislike the contract itself. It certainly was a jolly good and atmospheric scene where Alisha finally got to see the seraphim. If she can see the malevolence and hellions as well, despite not being able to do anything about it, she will face some extra stress, though.

lelouch
Sun, 09-25-2016, 02:01 PM
It's honestly a real shame that the incredible resources and talent of the animation/graphics team is being put toward a storyline as subpar as this. They should have went straight for animating Heaven's Feel and not spent any time on this, or at least come up with a more intriguing story.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-25-2016, 09:02 PM
The story is only starting. We'll see if it's indeed subpar in the next season. This plot was clearly designed for the long haul (being a game story).

The characters made this worthwhile to me, typical of a Tales story. Hopefully this will rake in enough cash to fund other Ufotable projects.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 09-25-2016, 09:15 PM
As much as I would love to spoil this since I am playing the game. Yes still at it 2 months later. I have to farm end game weapon and amour to fuse 1000x or 1x99 for 10x each. The video I watched said it wont take long. I get like one drop every 10 fights and that's with the so-called rule of using Mystic Artes to finish the area of enemies.

When Seasons 2 starts and ends this story I don't think Sorey will be going through this grind fest to fight the last boss. BTW I am playing on Choas mode. :/

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-25-2016, 10:02 PM
So basically you're complaining that you need to grind for post-story level stuff?

Can you at least tell us if the rest of the story is any good?

Shadow Skill
Mon, 09-26-2016, 06:29 PM
So basically you're complaining that you need to grind for post-story level stuff?

Can you at least tell us if the rest of the story is any good?

I like the story and characters. The story is what is keeping me playing. The list of not introduced characters yet. All good IMO. Some Yandere and MOE moments, but all good. :)

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-26-2016, 06:31 PM
That's something to look forward to. AFAIK, Ufotable is doing this anime because they also did the animation for the game, right? Same with God Eater.

Shadow Skill
Mon, 09-26-2016, 07:38 PM
That's something to look forward to. AFAIK, Ufotable is doing this anime because they also did the animation for the game, right? Same with God Eater.

I am not sure who did the animation for the game. I didn't finish it yet to see the end game credits. I suspect me finishing the end game on chaos mode is at least 2 to 3 months away with daily farming. I can see why so many people hated playing the game lol.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Isn't it ridiculous to hate a game that forces you to farm if you're the one who chose the insane difficulty mode? Just play it on easy and finish the story.

Shadow Skill
Tue, 09-27-2016, 07:01 PM
Isn't it ridiculous to hate a game that forces you to farm if you're the one who chose the insane difficulty mode? Just play it on easy and finish the story.

Then it won't feel like I finished it. I'm a completionist. I have to complete it in full. :)

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-27-2016, 07:20 PM
Then don't complain about the farming. You chose that path :p

Shadow Skill
Tue, 09-27-2016, 08:44 PM
I'm only use to this kind of grinding on an MMO not a single player RPG lol.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 09-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Ah, Tera days. I quit MMOs for that precise reason.

Kraco
Sun, 01-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Episode 13

- - - - - -

I'm so glad this didn't launch with a recap.

Not too subtle how they were first discussing the possibility to avoid malevolence if one needs to slay a villain to save many innocent, and then the ep ended with Rose going back to assassinating some leader. I wonder if Sorey doesn't see malevolence in Rose.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 01-29-2017, 03:04 PM
I finally finished the game like 5 min ago as if writing this. Whata friggin grind fest with a very clunky and poor AI and battle system. I think I will pass up the Prequel Tales of Berseria cause of this horrendous game. The story and characters are superb. The game mechanics are just terrible. I hope the Anime is just as good as the game. I suspect a lot of scenes from the game will not make it to the anime. I should watch the aniome again since I am behind a few episodes.

Kraco
Sun, 01-29-2017, 04:19 PM
The story and characters are superb. The game mechanics are just terrible. I hope the Anime is just as good as the game. I suspect a lot of scenes from the game will not make it to the anime.

I'm still liking this show quite a bit, but I'm sure a lot of scenes didn't make into it.

Episode 16

- - - - - -

Normally I dislike you mustn't kill under any circumstances stances, but this story has quite nicely succeedid in placing such a limitation on the MC while remaining believable, due to the malevolence. Sorey keeps himself apart from most human conflicts when they aren't directly related to malevolence, which is fitting. Another thing this show pulls off well are the invisible friends. Sorey is talking to them all the time, but it has never felt embarrassing. I guess the fantasy setting helps there a lot.

I'm not sure how he will solve this issue with Rose, but I'm looking forward to it. I'm not sure Rose actually enjoys what she's doing, so maybe it won't be that difficult to remove her from that sort of life. It's more like she's tied to her past and feels it's her duty, plus the need for revenge.

I'm still annoyed Alisha ended up being a minor character, more or less. If I had bought the game, I'm sure I'd have joined the chorus complaining about that.

Shadow Skill
Sun, 01-29-2017, 04:24 PM
I'm still annoyed Alisha ended up being a minor character, more or less. If I had bought the game, I'm sure I'd have joined the chorus complaining about that.

Ya she's not with Sorey for very long in the game either. :(

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-03-2017, 01:40 AM
How can you fail to kill a half-asleep dude..?

Kraco
Fri, 02-03-2017, 03:03 AM
Let's blame Sorey. His pacifism might have made her blade untrue. Or perhaps, like me, Rose was waiting for a trap and couldn't get rid of hesitation. I still can't see how it could have been this easy. A master criminal like that can't be sleeping peaceful nights.

Kraco
Sun, 02-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Episode 17

- - -- - -

Turns out the villain was a hellion, even if not an overly amazing one, so maybe that explained how he avoided a fatal wound. Still, not seeing the body is always a bad sign.

If Sorey was a bit better with words, he could tell Rose that she doesn't need to be exactly like Brad, she can take a step further. Brad was basically forced to deal only with symptoms of malevolence, but Rose now has a chance to dig deeper by helping Sorey. If the general level of malevolence in the world can be lowered, it would help the great masses directly, not only the individual people Rose has more or less helped so far. Brad said not to try to follow lofty idealisms but to concentrate on what's in front of their eyes. Following Sorey Rose would see far more, so the stuff in front of her would increase. She wouldn't go against Brad's legacy.

Kraco
Sun, 02-12-2017, 10:56 AM
Episode 18

- -- - - - - - - -

This feels a bit hurried right now, with the Roland situation seemingly solved in half an episode despite how long it took them to arrive and visit the other city without really doing anything there. Of course it was largely to developed Rose's character, but that ought to be a separate issue from Roland's trouble with malevolence.

It's a good thing Sorey didn't push Rose's inauguration any further. In the end this was her whole life and what she wants to do. Only she couldn't do it properly before, but now she can do it. It would be too much looking down on her to question her dedication. It's certainly not like she wouldn't have been risking her life before, either. Though that being said, it'd at least be good if she was sticking to Sorey unlike Alisha. Apparently they are a burden for Sorey, so they have to make sure to help him equally.

Still, this continues to be a jolly good show with great characters, fitting music, and beautiful graphics. The story works, despite feeling so abridged. I'm happy I can be happy with this show as that relieves some of the regret of not playing the game due to its problems.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 02-12-2017, 04:07 PM
I am just glad we see how Tales of Beseria ties into this. I didn't know that it was a prequel and that Velvet caused the Malevolence to appear again.

Kraco
Sun, 02-12-2017, 05:05 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on Berseria discounts. Assuming it has better controls and gameplay like some comments seem to suggest. Who knows, maybe it would be nicer to play a murderous player character than some goody two-shoes like Sorey.

Kraco
Sat, 04-29-2017, 08:55 AM
Episode 25 Final

- - - --- -

Quite a nice show, all in all. One of the better fantasy shows of late, with smooth story progress and working characters. I reckon it speaks for the characters' benefit that while the story didn't have too much time to built them all individually, they still felt individual enough and were quite memorable. If the game indeed was a grind fest with flawed gameplay, I'm happy I got to watch this show instead. The graphics were jolly good.

The very ending did underline the biggest weakness: zero romance despite the bunch of cute girls. So, instead of a reunion with a girl, Sorey sought out his first friend, a dude, and they went off like in a fujoshi's dream.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 04-29-2017, 07:14 PM
Well, Rose and Alisha seemed to be pretty damn close at the end

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-29-2017, 08:23 PM
Did this show end up being good?

I stopped watching around episode 10 or something (after the first little run of Berseria ended) since it was so damn bland. More of the same?

Kraco
Sun, 04-30-2017, 02:01 AM
Did this show end up being good?

I stopped watching around episode 10 or something (after the first little run of Berseria ended) since it was so damn bland. More of the same?

It doesn't dramatically turn into Bahamut at any point, but I'd say it did change a bit towards the end. It's meaningless for me to say I thought it good more or less all along because I liked the characters so much. Even if the story gets a bit deeper, I suppose you'd find that blandless everywhere, as I can't really analyse it.