PDA

View Full Version : ReLIFE

MFauli
Fri, 07-01-2016, 11:51 AM

The story follows Kaizaki Arata, a 27-year-old jobless man, who fails at every job interview he had after quitting his last company. His life changes after he met Yoake Ryou of the ReLife Research Institute, who offered him a drug that can change his appearance to 17-years-old and to become a subject in an experiment for one year. Thus, he begins his life as a high school student once more.

---------------------------------------------------

episodes are out up till 8 at this point. Will probably released completely in a bit.

READ: I recommend everybody headline their postings with the episode number theyīre at. Otherwise we cannot talk until everybody has watched the whole thing ... which will probably be the case for me this evening lol. Still, I think that would be nice.

----------------------------------

episode 1:

After my disappointment with BERSERK, this one really lightened my mood. Itīs everything I hoped for. Donīt have much more time atm, but my favorite scene was when the teacher got his cigarettes, held her hand with the cigarettes on it, and Arata was like "so ... what?" Had me rolling. This is SO great.
Also, one of my fears was that weīd have another case of gay hero, but he clearly expressed his interest in school girls, fucking lol. Oh well, letīs see how that goes. I could see Ryo telling him that the girls are taboo for all ReLIFE-participants. But letīs hope for the best!

This series really hits close, since Iīm somewhat in Arataīs position. Started going to university again last October, when Iīm 30. Everybody else is ca. 20, so there you go. Although uni isnīt nearly as awkward as going back to highschool, haha.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-01-2016, 12:29 PM
This is being released in a batch?

David75
Fri, 07-01-2016, 12:46 PM
Slow start with potential for comical scenes. I smirked a little, but it was much too slow for a first ep

MFauli
Fri, 07-01-2016, 01:45 PM
Slow start with potential for comical scenes. I smirked a little, but it was much too slow for a first ep

Cannot relate to such opinion at all.

Episode 4:

Time flies by watching this anime! Thereīs zero boring scenes, itīs kinda incredible. And I just love how this show throws sentences at you that make you burst out in laughter. Hishiroīs smile running-gag keep delivering, itīs hilarious.
Although I wonder: Ryo mentioned that itīs fine to enjoy ReLIFe as long as Arata doesnīt do anything criminal. His classmates are 17, right? If so, wouldnīt it be legal for Arata to date those girls, even if he hadnīt ReLIFE going on? Also, the anime is kinda painting 27 year olds too harshly, lol. Im 30 and if I wasnīt a fatass, Iīm sure it wouldnīt be as bad as Arataīs body is showing!

Now doing a little break and then watching more ... probably all of it, lol.

MFauli
Sat, 07-02-2016, 03:06 AM
episode 10:
------------

Still going strong, but at this point in time I have three points of, somewhat, criticism. Some might get resolved, though:

1.) I really need some proper intel about this ReLIFE-company and its drug. Itīs completely insane that weīre supposed to just swallow the existence of a company that can make you look younger by taking a pill. Within an hour. And then switching back and forth. And on top of it, this company is so benevolent that it uses these pills to better the lives of failed people?`Mhm. Addition: And I almost forgot to mention: This company also has the means to make EVERYBODY forget about the test subjects! Like, what the hell, erasing specific memories?! Personally, Iīd like for there to be some outlandish twist - because aliens or the Matrix would be better explanations than "this company inventet this pill". lol

2.) Arata just isnīt THAT much of a failed person. Thatīs personally my biggest disappointment because it lets me relate less to him (yeah, pittying myself, alright ;D). Arata didnīt need a ReLIFE, rather than some trauma therapy and a mere job chance. I mean, if the show ends up with him simply presenting a great, fun job on the silver tablet, then I feel like thatīs missing the point: Adults at large donīt get to choose their jobs like that. If they really were to make an impression, Arata should go back to the company he quit and change that company from the inside - which probably would be hard, but weīve seen two new employees that admire Arata, so thereīs something.
Anyway, I would have preferred if Arata had been more of a failure, similar to Welcome to the NHK.

3.) I still donīt get why Ryo/ReLIFE wonīt allow for romantic relationships. Arataīs classmates are 17, heīs 27. He could be 50. 17 is legal age of sex in most places in the civilized world. I could see ReLIFE feel bummed out if they had some adult use ReLIFE for the whole idea of banging school girls, School Days-style. But clearly Arata is not the type whoīd do that. Iīll really be disappointed if him and Hishiro donīt end up as a couple. They fit together perfectly, have similar experiences, and she seems to like him a lot. And sheīs super cute and hot! Seriously, make that happen!

MFauli
Sat, 07-02-2016, 05:19 AM
Episode 13/Final thoughts:
---------------------------

Alright! Letīs get this out of the way: Great anime that everybody should watch. Iīd be surprised if the summer season has lots like that to offer. Super great pacing without boring, filler-ish stuff. Was really smooth and easy to watch this in what amounts to a single day.

Two out of three of my above complaints got fully resolved in thosel ast three 3 episodes. Well, kinda. Arata wasnīt a complete failure, because thatīs not why he was chosen. Hishiro was the failure and Arata came in to support her. Arata wasnīt chosen because of being a dame ningen, he was chosen because the observers felt that he deserved it, that he had bad luck in life and trouble coming back from that. Also, he kinda got together with Hishiro. Unfortunately, the anime just ends, but weīre shown that Hishiro also is an adult, so thereīs zero problem here in terms of actual age. I also totally didnīt see that twist coming. Props @anime for fooling me.

Anybody here read the manga? Does it go on? If so, Iīll seriously switch over. Which chapter would I need to start at?

Again, itīs kinda unfortunate that this was released all at once. It would have been the perfect anime to talk about and discuss week after week. Now all we can do is give our final note and thatīs it. But I want to express how jolly good I enjoyed this anime. Great animation, sympathetic character designs, very good music, and a fast pace.

fireheart
Sat, 07-02-2016, 07:08 AM
Anybody here read the manga? Does it go on? If so, Iīll seriously switch over. Which chapter would I need to start at?

I skimmed through the show since I've been reading the manga/webbcomic for quite some time now. Anyway to answer your question if you want to read the manga you should start a bit before the festival so around chapter 101 because there's some cut content and some changes regarding the festival. There is some cut content here and there so if you want to get out as much as possible you should start from the beginning.

David75
Sat, 07-02-2016, 11:08 AM
That was a nice watch.
I wasn't that annoyed by the magical pill. I even wonder if it could be some kind of running gag.
Too bad I'm already forgeting most of it, partly because I watched it in the span of a few hours, partly because it was only recrationnal and I wasn't serious about it...
An was the best girl, that's my opinion at least.

Munsu
Sat, 08-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Just watched the first 2 episodes, and enjoyed the heck out of them. Hopefully it's sustained through the rest. Sad that it seems like it's 13 episodes long only, hope it ends relatively well at least.

MFauli
Sat, 08-06-2016, 07:20 PM
It remains great throughout. Honestly, this would have had so much more impact this season, had it not been batch-released. Everybody watched it at the beginning of the season in one go and already forgot about it.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-06-2016, 07:47 PM
I didn't forget about it. I read the webtoon right after, and continue to read it now.

Munsu
Sat, 08-06-2016, 08:11 PM
It remains great throughout. Honestly, this would have had so much more impact this season, had it not been batch-released. Everybody watched it at the beginning of the season in one go and already forgot about it.

Oh, how come it was batched released? Did it air all episodes at the same time or something?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-06-2016, 10:35 PM
Web released yes.

Munsu
Sat, 08-06-2016, 10:44 PM
Web released yes.

Ah I see, Netflix like. Yeah, certainly limits discussion interests. Anyways, almost done with the series, have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. Might have to check the web comic later.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 04:53 AM
I felt that middle drags very badly, but the series recovers strongly in the last two-three episodes.

The volleyball team arc was a slog, not engaging nor enjoyable, I even had to skim one of the episodes.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:08 AM
Sumire-chan = MILF.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 01:19 PM
Alright, finished the series.

This was very good, I hope they animate more in the future. When I have time I'll continue with the web comic.

I'll also say that it seems that Arata was like killing two birds with one stone. He clearly was given this opportunity to improve himself, another chance at life, but considering how his support analyses him, it's obvious that he's also being tested as a catalyst for other potential ReLIFE subjects.

So, in many regards, I wonder if at the same time he might be being tested as a potential future Support personnel.

As for Hishiro, I saw it coming partly. The anime handled it well, but there were too many hints that there was potential for who she was.

Oh well, in general a satisfactory anime for it was thematically, but always feel empty when you don't get the full story. Hoping for more, and also that more people watch it around here.

It was quite successful in combining multiple elements.

And yeah, the volleyball arc kinda sucked.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 01:39 PM
I don't even remember the existence of such an arc.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2016, 08:48 PM
We never got to see Adult Onoya, did we? She's the most mysterious of the lot since we know nothing about her.

This show overall reminds me of Kokoro Connect in the way characters are forced to deal with their dramas.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 08:55 PM
We never got to see Adult Onoya, did we? She's the most mysterious of the lot since we know nothing about her.

This show overall reminds me of Kokoro Connect in the way characters are forced to deal with their dramas.

Pretty sure she was adult most, if not all, of the times we got a flashback no? She simply looks pretty much the same.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Flashback? I only remember her either at school, or spying on a computer with the male supporter.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Flashback? I only remember her either at school, or spying on a computer with the male supporter.

You don't recall all the scenes when they were together before Arata was on ReLife and such?

Maybe it was because also the supporter didn't look all the different when he was older.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:16 PM
You don't recall all the scenes when they were together before Arata was on ReLife and such?

Maybe it was because also the supporter didn't look all the different when he was older.

.. are you talking about suicide girl?

I'm talking about pink hair + glasses girl.

edit: oh yeah, and Hishiro supposedly committed suicide and Arata found the body. Not sure what was going on there if she's alive now.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:30 PM
.. are you talking about suicide girl?

I'm talking about pink hair + glasses girl.

edit: oh yeah, and Hishiro supposedly committed suicide and Arata found the body. Not sure what was going on there if she's alive now.

I know who you're talking about, I'm indeed talking about pink hair + glasses girl.

Hishiro didn't commit suicide, Arata's coworker did.

I think you're confused here.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:41 PM
Hishiro and Arata's senpai are the same person. Just kidding.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 09:46 PM
Hishiro and Arata's senpai are the same person. Just kidding.

In fan-fiction.

Edit. Fucking spoiler color.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-07-2016, 10:48 PM
I thought they were the same person during that flashback. If they're not then that makes more sense.

I still can't recall any flashbacks where Onoya was in adult form.

Munsu
Sun, 08-07-2016, 11:09 PM
I thought they were the same person during that flashback. If they're not then that makes more sense.

I still can't recall any flashbacks where Onoya was in adult form.

Episode 7. We can't tell if she's adult or not all told, as I said she doesn't change all that much once she lets her hair down, but I'm assuming she is through this episode.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-08-2016, 12:00 AM
Episode 7. We can't tell if she's adult or not all told, as I said she doesn't change all that much once she lets her hair down, but I'm assuming she is through this episode.

Ah. I never watched eps 6-7. I see what you mean now.

edit:

I think the flashback is still a young Onoya. It's dangerous to walk around looking 27 while having a school uniform on.

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-08-2016, 03:18 AM
I'm not entirely sure she was even taking the pills. She just puts on less jewelry and makeup when she's in "teen" form.

It's not like Ryou who is noticeably different in height. She doesn't fill out or anything equivalent. Her proportions are all the same either way.

Munsu
Tue, 08-09-2016, 11:11 PM
I'm not entirely sure she was even taking the pills. She just puts on less jewelry and makeup when she's in "teen" form.

It's not like Ryou who is noticeably different in height. She doesn't fill out or anything equivalent. Her proportions are all the same either way.

I think that's the biggest failure in this series I think, that they didn't make an enough of a differentiation between all the characters' teen version and their adult versions, with various degrees of effectiveness.

You can't tell one from the other.

I do think she was taking the pill though, just that the series sucked at depicting it... but who knows, maybe it's as you say.

Munsu
Tue, 03-13-2018, 09:09 AM
4 episode ova sequel is coming out next week on March 21.

Sucks that I kinda forgot all the nuances of the show. Regardless hope it has a satisfactory conclusion (assuming this will conclude the series).

shinta|hikari
Tue, 03-13-2018, 11:07 AM
I read the webtoon to the end. Excellent stuff. It has ended, btw, so you might wanna read it.

Munsu
Wed, 03-21-2018, 08:15 PM
All 4 episodes are out now. Will probably watch them this weekend.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-24-2018, 01:02 PM
I was satisfied with this. Like Bud I had been detached from this despite largely remembering the overall plot.

David75
Sun, 03-25-2018, 12:53 AM
Watched ep14, totally forgot it... Was hard to get back into that world.
The horrible art didn't help, combined with poor quality control.

MFauli
Mon, 04-02-2018, 10:14 AM
Very bad ending. At least they're together. But I hated how their relationship ended up being the result of coincidence. Unless you believe in fate (which I don't), this all sucked.

Didn't help that he didn't fight for his love at all.

Then again apparently the organization is almighty.

Ryllharu
Mon, 04-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Very bad ending. At least they're together. But I hated how their relationship ended up being the result of coincidence. Unless you believe in fate (which I don't), this all sucked.
Uh...no different from a lot of recently, critically acclaimed animated movies (not going to name them because spoilers) and fan-favorite series.

The point of each is that love endures time skips, mind wipes, and reality shifts.

I don't know why this one is different for you when the main plot device is the same.

MFauli
Mon, 04-02-2018, 06:36 PM
Uh...no different from a lot of recently, critically acclaimed animated movies (not going to name them because spoilers) and fan-favorite series.

The point of each is that love endures time skips, mind wipes, and reality shifts.

I don't know why this one is different for you when the main plot device is the same.

You seem to be accusing me of something but refuse to go into detail. Name other anime that I've seen where you think it went like this.

I know plenty of romance anime. But the way both find together at last was super unsatisfactory. Had he not seen a glimpse of her and followed her outside, they'd be separate. Complete coincidence. Other romance stories feature such coincidence for the first encounter of two love birds. Here the entire happy end relies on such second coincidence occurring. I can't be happy with that. I'm happy THAT they got together again, but I'm angry about the 'how'. They both lost to the almighty asshole company and only got lucky. That is all.

Imagine watching Steins,Gate. You spend watching 25 episodes of Okabe trying his hardest to reach another world line. Then in episode 26 he gives up ... and reaches a new world line by coincidence. Sure, he found his happy end - but he himself lost, which would be 100% unsatisfactory, too. Or imagine Goku fighting Tenshinhan in the 2nd tournament. They fight a hard fight, but then suddenly Tenshinhan gives up, because he thinks Goku deserves to win. Sure, it's a happy end, but totally unsatisfactory.

That's how it is with reLife. The series really ended when both swallowed their pills. Bad End. Then we get another scene, they find each other from coincidence. Happy End. Uhuh ...

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-02-2018, 06:59 PM
Huh, is that how they ended the anime? Read the manga then. No magical coincidences.