PDA

View Full Version : Big Order

Munsu
Fri, 04-22-2016, 06:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/AN2eREQ.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WGoRYmpdgQ

Eiji Hoshimiya is an introverted high school student with a huge secret — he wished for the destruction of the world when he was younger. Fairies give certain people special powers called Orders. What Order Users can do with their power depends on their wishes. 10 years after the Great Destruction, Eiji struggles to come to terms with his immense power.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=17750
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=11724

Big Order seems a bit like a combo of Code Geass and Baccano, though so far I hesitate a lot to put them in the same sentence. Hit and miss, but watchable for me so far. Something that at least seems to be trying something different within the comforts of the common place, so I'll keep watching.

There's an interactive OVA that I'm not going to watch, but here are the first two episodes of the series:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=803243
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=805231

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 04-22-2016, 07:08 PM
The OVA was kind of bad/spoilery.
Episode 1 was much more promising. Haven't seen 2 yet.

Munsu
Fri, 04-22-2016, 07:15 PM
The OVA was kind of bad/spoilery.
Episode 1 was much more promising. Haven't seen 2 yet.

I thought it would be, plus the whole interactive thing would've annoyed the heck out of me, so better off passing on it and watching solely the TV series. OVA didn't seem well received as it was, so yeah...

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-22-2016, 07:26 PM
This is made by the same mangaka as Mirai Nikki, right?

Munsu
Fri, 04-22-2016, 08:19 PM
This is made by the same mangaka as Mirai Nikki, right?

That is correct.

Now that I think about it, have always been interested in Mirai Nikki, but have never watched it or read it. Have to remedy that.

Munsu
Sat, 04-30-2016, 10:02 AM
Episode 3 is out:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=807277

I really don't know what to make of this series. It's a complete mess, and further more it is very confused on what type of series it wants to be. Don't know what to make of it, other than it's not a good series so far, yet I'm being highly entertained by it so far.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 04-30-2016, 01:24 PM
This show is quite fun and actually fairly interesting. I would classify that as "good", regardless of whether you think the plot is high class.

Munsu
Sat, 04-30-2016, 02:16 PM
This show is quite fun and actually fairly interesting. I would classify that as "good", regardless of whether you think the plot is high class.

That's fine. As I mentioned, I'm actually really enjoying this... just having a hard time objectively calling it good. But I may be overthinking it.

I find a lot of things amusing, and some of the comedy has been quite good, but for me it's not meshing all that well with the serious portions. The "acting" if you can call it that, has left a lot to be desired.

But, just observations... I'm entertained by it.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Okay, before I comment on the story, I'd like to get this out of the way.

The jazz music OST is extremely jarring. That kind of music fits shows like Baccano, but when it comes to in your face shounen battle stories, it is inappropriate. Serious battle scenes seem comedic because of the choice of background music. It doesn't deliver suspense well.

Munsu
Sat, 04-30-2016, 11:26 PM
Okay, before I comment on the story, I'd like to get this out of the way.

The jazz music OST is extremely jarring. That kind of music fits shows like Baccano, but when it comes to in your face shounen battle stories, it is inappropriate. Serious battle scenes seem comedic because of the choice of background music. It doesn't deliver suspense well.

Agreed. That said, I still question if this series is trying to do serious or comedic action scenes.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-30-2016, 11:50 PM
I'm actually fine with a mix of both. The problem is, some of the scenes are downright serious, but that damn jazz ost keeps playing in the background, ruining the gravitas.

I would've wanted a clearer explanation about Eiji's ability. If it defies physics like he said, why couldn't he just order the illness away from his sister like he knocks down bullets? In the scene where the tunnel is collapsing, why did they have to hurry? Wouldn't his ability prevent anything from falling on him because those debris would have to be in his territory to hit him?

Why is he so desperate to earn respect from these 10 guys when they are just using each other? Showing them how badass he is won't help his sister at all. The deal to save her was already made. Not only that, if he really didn't want to get insulted, he can just order everyone to treat him like a real king, or you know, not keep him in the dark about life or death situations...

Another question I have is, if these 10 whatevers wanted to rebel, why didn't they bring their loved ones to their territory? They want to change the world. It's not like they're ignorant about how it currently works.

Munsu
Sun, 05-01-2016, 10:10 AM
I'm actually fine with a mix of both. The problem is, some of the scenes are downright serious, but that damn jazz ost keeps playing in the background, ruining the gravitas.

I would've wanted a clearer explanation about Eiji's ability. If it defies physics like he said, why couldn't he just order the illness away from his sister like he knocks down bullets? In the scene where the tunnel is collapsing, why did they have to hurry? Wouldn't his ability prevent anything from falling on him because those debris would have to be in his territory to hit him?

Why is he so desperate to earn respect from these 10 guys when they are just using each other? Showing them how badass he is won't help his sister at all. The deal to save her was already made. Not only that, if he really didn't want to get insulted, he can just order everyone to treat him like a real king, or you know, not keep him in the dark about life or death situations...

Another question I have is, if these 10 whatevers wanted to rebel, why didn't they bring their loved ones to their territory? They want to change the world. It's not like they're ignorant about how it currently works.

As I had mentioned, my problem is not the existence of a mix of comedy and seriousness, that's all fine. I just feel that they're not meshing well in this series, and the reason for it is partly for the reasons you mention now that I think on it as I wasn't able to pinpoint it prior.

As for Eiji's ability, also agree with you... it's been inconsistent. In some instances it's a do-all ability with no restrictions aside from the area he can command. And as you've mentioned, the actions he's undertaking don't mesh all that well with what we know of his ability. You nailed it in the head, why the fuck doesn't he simply order these guys to heal her sister?

Only possible explanation I can come up with to rationalize it is that he's aware that he's only able to control only so much area and he won't be able to keep all those guys in check. But yeah, I'm not trying to think too much on this else it'll ruin the rest for me. Though I'm hoping we do get at some point a proper explanation of why he's undertaken this path.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-01-2016, 12:55 PM
I think there're probably reasons for his actions. I remember reading this part of the manga waaay before and never asking these questions. Maybe they cut out his internal thoughts that justify all his actions.

That, or I didn't give a fuck lol.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 05-01-2016, 08:10 PM
They explained a couple of the things you mention.
The collapsing tunnel, for example, not enough of it was under his domain. He could probably hold the bit just above their heads, but that doesn't help when all this comes rushing at you from the sides.

He hasn't been shown to completely dominate anyone mentally to the degree of say Lelouch in Code Geass, so we don't know the extent of his powers.

He wants the 10 to respect him, because he knows they're just trying to use him. If they respect him, then they can actually start being mutually beneficial instead of just backstabby.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-01-2016, 09:10 PM
What do you mean he can't dominate them mentally? The girl whose entire existence is devoted to killing him can't kill him with just one order. I'm pretty sure his orders are absolute.

I heard the tunnel explanation, but it was a pretty weak excuse. He can stop bullets in his territory right? Why can't he, uh, float to the sky? Float others to the sky? Stop all debris coming in from the sides once they enter his box shaped range? It's just not clear what he can and cannot do.

The problem with how they executed this is they showed him as practically all-powerful in certain scenes, making it hard to write any believable suspense.

The issue with him wanting respect from the 10 is that it isn't necessary with his powers. If his powers can't do that, then the show has to tell us why. Otherwise, it makes no sense to the viewer why he isn't just forcing them to cure his sister right now.

EDIT:
@Munsu - He already ordered the 10 to never leave his territory, and his orders never lose effect even if he's asleep or whatever, as shown by Re-something Fire girl's shackles. That means with the right set of orders, he will never need to worry about betrayal (i.e. Don't betray me duh!).

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 05-01-2016, 09:36 PM
Except his power isn't shown to be completely mind controlling.
No, instead, she constantly tries to kill him, just not directly.

I imagine a "Don't betray me" works almost the same way.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 05-01-2016, 09:46 PM
That's because he didn't order her to do specific stuff. What he did was prohibit her from doing something, which she is following perfectly. Even her attempts to accidentally kill him don't work by some magic, which might even be part of his power (but that's irrelevant).

Betrayal will work the same way, like you said. They'll want to betray him. They'll think it every single day. But they can't, just like she can't kill him. That should mean they can't take actions that will mean betrayal, just like how the girl can't take any actions that will mean the hero's death.

Don't forget that he ordered the girl to heal his sister, and she did so immediately.

How about an order like, "Do not do anything that will harm me in any way, shape, or form?" + "Give me your absolute loyalty and affection?"

Will that work? We don't know. Why? I have no idea.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 05-02-2016, 03:01 AM
All valid questions, but I don't expect we'll get an answer for how exactly his power works.

Munsu
Sun, 05-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Episode 4 is out:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=809392

This is the first episode I didn't enjoy, don't think I cared for even a second of it. Hopefully next ones will be better.