PDA

View Full Version : Musaigen no Phantom World

neflight86
Wed, 01-06-2016, 02:12 PM

In the near future, in a world born of human imagination, what humans would call ghosts or monsters appear, and they come to be called "phantoms." Ichijou Haruhiko is a first year at Hosea Academy along with his upperclassman Kawakami Mai, who fights phantoms with the ability "Spirit of Five Elements," Izumi Reina, who has the ability "Phantom Eater," and Minase Koito, who fights phantoms in solitude. They experience the ups and downs of high school life before a certain incident leads them to the truth of this world.

Source: ANN

Horrible Subs Episode 01 (https://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=772092)

The KyotoAni for this season is a bit more... mainstream I guess is the best way to describe it? Very entertaining execution of a generally 'by the numbers' intro episode. Good, detailed action animation and the requisite likable cast of students who don't take this too seriously. More boob jokes than I expected; give it a try.

Shadow Skill
Wed, 01-06-2016, 07:58 PM
Female Bleach?

Kraco
Thu, 01-07-2016, 06:44 AM
I'm always willing to give the KyoAni show of the season a chance as long as it's not Free (or its ilk). This seemed kind of mediocre at a first look, aside from the solid animation work, but it's not like it wouldn't have been entertaining enough. Although I skipped the blatant exposition scene that felt as stupid as a student suddenly starting to explain another student what a car is in our world. The male MC could be a bit more competent and a bit less foolish, but he'll do, hopefully, standing next to the girls that obviously have their own faults as well.

As a separate mention it's jolly to hear Inoue Kikuko in a role again. I seem to have skipped most of the shows she has appeared in of late, or they were really minor roles.

Female Bleach?

Huh?

Shadow Skill
Thu, 01-07-2016, 08:52 AM
The descriptions make it sound like Bleach lol.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-07-2016, 09:30 AM
Just waiting for the quiet tomboy to be important and seeing from there.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 01-08-2016, 04:22 AM
I'm kind of surprised Kyoto had so much fanservice and action.

While the setting is a little on the generic side so far, I'm enjoying it.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-08-2016, 05:05 AM
I thought it was really quite funny. It does a good job executing a fairly generic premise (as noted above), and plays it up for good effect.

This is by far one of the ecchiest shows KyoAni has done, and I think they nailed it in terms of balance, while being completely self-aware. Mostly Mai molesting herself innocently, the others detailing scientifically how she was controlling the bounce of her boobs (and the clinical nature of that discussion was what actually embarrassed her) and the falling down the stairs scene was well executed, between the noble sacrifice to avoid touching her boobs that ultimately backfired when Ruru did the correct thing and prevented any and all injuries for Reina.

While it is good to see Inoue Kikuko playing an Inoue Kikuko Role, I was most impressed with Uesaka Sumire (https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=28602). Her range has really exploded in recent years. Even when her characters sound the same in pitch to a previous one, the tone and delivery of her characters has been different pretty much every time. Compared to the rest of the cast that sound pretty much the way they do in every series they're ever in, Uesaka Sumire is killing it here. She's really talented, to a degree that isn't really obvious at first.

Kraco
Fri, 01-08-2016, 06:12 AM
I was most impressed with Uesaka Sumire (https://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=28602).

Damn. Reading that profile makes her seem like exquisitely multi-talented.

Kraco
Wed, 01-13-2016, 07:20 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- -- - - - -

I might end up dropping this. KyoAni shows seem to be hit and miss, but I guess that's natural. The deadly boring lecture aside, which I skipped, the fairy is getting bloody annoying. Another annoyance is the unnecessary destruction caused by this team. They have apparently been warned about it multiple times, but do they care? No. They just repeat it and then think saying sorry will fix it all. If the dude had actually summoned a badass draconic demon, even if it had been on the small side, it would have redeemed this ep a bit in my mind, but of course he conjured a nearly useless, cute dog with wings instead. A useless summoner only gets useless summons.

The paroles are embarrassing. If I was in that profession, I'd try to get rid of it as soon as possible, no matter how much training it would take. Maybe it wouldn't even take that much, considering Reina always goes without. Only a hopeless chuuni would enjoy chanting that every time, possibly even in public places. Ugh. That's of course also why Minase won't ever seem tough in my eyes (or rather, ears).

neflight86
Wed, 01-13-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm still enjoying, although I suppose the attractive animation makes everything go down easier. I treat this as a slice of life with some action scenes, until the scope of the show suggests otherwise.

MFauli
Thu, 01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
thanks for the warning about overtly ecchi stuff. to this day, I cant think of an anime that has lots of ecchi stuff AND is actually portraying a good story with good characters. As much as IŽd like to see Itami fuck Rori, I even more want to see it implied, rather than watching a full-on hentai-scene. It just doesnŽt work well most of the time. Not in the context of an otherwise serious story.

And I especially hate stuff like "groping herself", then blushing and squeaking embarrassingly, sigh

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-22-2016, 04:39 AM
But the whole point of this show is to watch Mai and her boobs. What's left if she stops doing that?

At the moment I'm equally, if not more enjoying Reina's "how dare you!" outrages.

KrayZ33
Fri, 01-22-2016, 05:43 AM
This show is so bad, but it makes me giggle here and there.

Kraco
Fri, 01-22-2016, 06:57 AM
Episode 3 - HS

- - - - -

Yeah. It seems like this is only getting worse. I'd have dropped this when they presented the human memories are stored in a shared cloud plot device, but I had made a decision to stick around at least so long that the last(?) member joins the group and reveals her power. She was already following them around in this ep, so perhaps in the next she meets them.

No idea why KyoAni decided to waste their time and money on this series.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Because the boobs will sell. You have to remember the target demographic for these shows aren't foreign middle-aged men like us.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-23-2016, 03:22 AM
I had made a decision to stick around at least so long that the last(?) member joins the group and reveals her power.

Her power is her relationship with that super-powerful teddy bear of hers - which is actually a Phantom.

neflight86
Wed, 02-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Ep 5 is out

I don't know whether to classify her as a tsun-dere or a kuu-dere. Is there a half and half option?

Ryllharu
Wed, 02-03-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm still back a third of the way through episode 3, but have no interest in going back to it. I've actively tried to watch other things to put it off. I know what that signifies.

Dropped.

Kraco
Wed, 02-03-2016, 04:52 PM
I watched half of this episode. I was waiting for the scene introducing the elementary schooler, and now that it finally happened, I can drop this wretched show. I couldn't even finish this latest episode due to the idiocy of the MC, but it's okay. I feel so relieved now that I don't need to force myself to watch this pos show every week. Good riddance.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Koito is so cute. That shoulder sulk at the end was adorable.

And she is a kuudere. The more contemporary understanding of a tsundere is someone more violent, noisy, and blatant. Koito is cool the whole time, until she went dere mode.

neflight86
Thu, 02-04-2016, 02:36 AM
Thanks; I wasn't sure because she was a bit abrasive, but now that I think about it, not toward an individual.

I can feel the burn from here. I suppose it's not anything special, so thanks for giving it a fair shake, folks.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-04-2016, 10:40 AM
The lack of boob physics in subsequent episodes is disappointing. Talk about a misleading first episode.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-04-2016, 10:41 AM
You gotta have your pettanko and lolis.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-04-2016, 10:45 AM
Well yeah. At least the 4th grader's complete lack of confidence was entertaining.

The MC needs to seriously get better at drawing. He's the only summoner on the team and his best move is a puppy.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:02 AM
As something to look forward to, take a look at the LN's 2nd volume cover (http://i.imgur.com/v9zu5vt.jpg).

And no, I haven't read any of it. I just heard from a redditor that the story gets a lot more serious.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM
*sigh*

Guess I'll give up on the boob physics.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:40 AM
What makes you think they won't have boob physics in the 2nd book? I did say it'll get more serious right? By that, I meant a larger plot.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:56 AM
What makes you think they won't have boob physics in the 2nd book?

The fact that serious and boobs physics typically don't belong together.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-04-2016, 12:37 PM
You don't understand moe anime at all.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Just double posting to say that this show is more boring than Grimgal, and that's saying something. I tried my best, and I'm generally abnormally tolerant for shows with good art, but even KyoAni's direction isn't saving this show. It's like a show that started with fillers and continued that for 7 weeks and running.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-31-2016, 12:25 PM
I finished this series, and what can I say?

I wish I didn't.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-31-2016, 01:26 PM
I usually just finish whatever I started even if it was bad. But yeah...it was bad.