PDA

View Full Version : TV: Jessica Jones

Munsu
Mon, 11-23-2015, 12:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHUjuJ8zxE

Jessica Jones on Netflix was released last week. Any of you planning on watching it or have watched it yet?

Set in the same universe as Daredevil and, alluding to the MCU as well.

One of the Netflix series that is being used to launch the eventual Defenders series as well, more character series coming soon.

Coming into it, it seemed like this one was going to be better than Daredevil, but in the end I have to say that Daredevil was better. A bit disappointed overall, but only because I had very very high expectations for it, but it was still a good series to watch. I binged watched it this weekend.

Hell's Kitchen just got a another hero

Haunted by a traumatic past, Jessica Jones uses her gifts as a private eye to find her tormentor before he can harm anyone else in Hell's Kitchen.
https://www.netflix.com/title/80002311

Penner
Mon, 11-23-2015, 09:44 AM
Ya i've watched all of it, and Daredevil was indeed better.

This was more drama/thriller and less action/fighting than Daredevil, which might be why i enjoyed Daredevil more.

While it might not be AS good as Daredevil, it's still a good show.

Edort4
Tue, 11-24-2015, 05:37 PM
Personally I think that its just a passable show. It started well but later on I think it derailed too much. Some of the episodes were almost infuriating.

If I would describe the series (2nd half 100% accurate) would be. People will always do the most stupid thig possible at right time for the most stupid effect. I like it that its almost an ode to human stupidity (wich is spot on) but they used it too much and too conveniently to justify mediocre plot.

Also dont know why they keep picking actresses with no curves and duck faces. 50% of the shows have duck faces in their roles. Trying to impose a new trending of beauty HollyNWOod??

Munsu
Wed, 11-25-2015, 07:57 PM
Personally I think that its just a passable show. It started well but later on I think it derailed too much. Some of the episodes were almost infuriating.

I know what you mean, I thought pretty much the same in particular with the commutative decisions that came from the support group and the lawyer.

I thought the way the support group came about to go after Jessica was completely nonsensical, it made no sense. But whatever. I still very much enjoyed the series, just thought it was going to be much better.

Abdula
Fri, 11-27-2015, 12:55 AM
Spoilers, if anyone cares.

The show was okay started out promising and simply didn't improve. Feels like it would have been better if the plot was condensed into fewer episodes. Ten would have been fine because after the mid point it got really repetitive. The obsession with trying to find evidence to confirm Kilgrave's abilities was really detrimental because they devoted too much time to that and it was as if none of the characters could think beyond that point. It was just yay we prove he has powers and we win, which was just stupid. The whole Inuyasha-Naraku thing got really annoying. We got him, stupidity ensues, he gets away.

All of the characters were completely inconsistent. In the case of Jessica her inconsistency made sense but everyone else was just odd. Simpson was just bad, everything about him, every time he was on screen I wondered why he was even there. Character development too was very inconsistent. There was none and there was too much and that just keep repeating itself, Malcolm being the perfect example.

Overall I'd say the show was pretty good, felt like a prequel. The best thing about the show was Jessica and despite what Edort thinks Krysten Ritter was perfect for the role. She isn't playing Wonder Woman nor should she look like Jessica Rabbit.:rolleyes:

The worst thing, other than Simpson, was actually Kilgrave. After watching the entire thing I am not sure what kind of character he was supposed to have been. The brilliant mastermind, the all powerful man-child, the science experiment gone wrong, the Joker with mind control powers. It felt like they tried to hit as many archetypes with his character as possible and in the end he was just rather bland. It was really weird particularly since they continually tried to make him into the Big Bad. He felt like a damned Bond villian and that is never a good thing.

Oh and the Homer Simpson "D'oh " moment in episode 10 from someone who is supposed to be an investigator. I mean a supervillian whose power is to enthrall people shows up and he doesn't immediately try to enthrall you. Seriously? Like hey why doesn't he just walk up to my door and use his power on me? Hey why was I able to simply walk away from him in the first place? These are questions I would ask myself. That too was pretty bad.

I would like to see more though, especially Luke, his character was promising and I think his interactions with Jessica were actually really good. I suppose I should hedge all of this by saying I was hoping to get a bit of Eric from The Crow and Izaku from Eternal Sabbath and that just never materialized.

Munsu
Sun, 11-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Spoilers, if anyone cares.

The show was okay started out promising and simply didn't improve. Feels like it would have been better if the plot was condensed into fewer episodes. Ten would have been fine because after the mid point it got really repetitive. The obsession with trying to find evidence to confirm Kilgrave's abilities was really detrimental because they devoted too much time to that and it was as if none of the characters could think beyond that point. It was just yay we prove he has powers and we win, which was just stupid. The whole Inuyasha-Naraku thing got really annoying. We got him, stupidity ensues, he gets away.

Agreed.

All of the characters were completely inconsistent. In the case of Jessica her inconsistency made sense but everyone else was just odd. Simpson was just bad, everything about him, every time he was on screen I wondered why he was even there. Character development too was very inconsistent. There was none and there was too much and that just keep repeating itself, Malcolm being the perfect example.

Not sure what you mean with all of this.

Overall I'd say the show was pretty good, felt like a prequel. The best thing about the show was Jessica and despite what Edort thinks Krysten Ritter was perfect for the role. She isn't playing Wonder Woman nor should she look like Jessica Rabbit.:rolleyes:

The worst thing, other than Simpson, was actually Kilgrave. After watching the entire thing I am not sure what kind of character he was supposed to have been. The brilliant mastermind, the all powerful man-child, the science experiment gone wrong, the Joker with mind control powers. It felt like they tried to hit as many archetypes with his character as possible and in the end he was just rather bland. It was really weird particularly since they continually tried to make him into the Big Bad. He felt like a damned Bond villian and that is never a good thing.

I thought it was pretty clear what he was, simply a spoiled brat that has no empathy for anyone or anything, bored with his life who then becomes obsessed with Jessica. Nothing more and nothing less.

Oh and the Homer Simpson "D'oh " moment in episode 10 from someone who is supposed to be an investigator. I mean a supervillian whose power is to enthrall people shows up and he doesn't immediately try to enthrall you. Seriously? Like hey why doesn't he just walk up to my door and use his power on me? Hey why was I able to simply walk away from him in the first place? These are questions I would ask myself. That too was pretty bad.

I disagree with this. Here you have a traumatized character, who was without her own faculties for long ass time, and you expect her to think rationally after finally being able to escape? Also, let's not forget that Kilgrave himself, although he had some suspicions of his ability to try and control her, was legit surprised when he couldn't control her once he tried. So it wasn't as clear cut as you put it. Don't forget, that Jessica had Kilgrave behaving for the most part and Kilgrave had to be careful not to test her in case he failed, so there was a mutually assured destruction dilemma going on. If Kilgrave gave a direct command and failed, Jessica would know and fuck him up. If Jessica based on weak theory that Kilgrave might not be able to control her attacked him and Kilgrave could actually control her, then she's fucked.

So I disagree with your premise completely.

I would like to see more though, especially Luke, his character was promising and I think his interactions with Jessica were actually really good. I suppose I should hedge all of this by saying I was hoping to get a bit of Eric from The Crow and Izaku from Eternal Sabbath and that just never materialized.

Luke is having his own series, so we'll see some of that soon.

DarthEnderX
Tue, 12-01-2015, 09:54 PM
I watched it all, and boring was definitely the word I'd use to describe it.

Daredevil was slow paced. But at least he was up against an organization will all these different parts he had to take down. And the show was methodically sprinkled with cool martial arts fights.

There's, like, one fight in this entire series. And these people ACTUALLY have superpowers. There's only one villain really. And he's not the action-oriented type.

Anyway, the actors are good, and the characters are good, but nobody does anything. And the special effects are nonexistent.

I never read Alias, but I'd always heard good things about it. And I'd heard this was pretty faithful to it. But this series did not impress me.