PDA

View Full Version : Yowamushi Pedal

Munsu
Sun, 10-11-2015, 08:01 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NwhLbpO.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZJUBspgO4

Plot Summary: Sakamichi Onada is a wimpy high school freshman who loves anime. He initially wants to enter the anime club, but winds up joining the cycling club after meeting two classmates who are already famous cyclists. He undertakes the grueling training to compete in races, and discovers his own hidden talent in cycling.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15004

Finished watching Yowamushi Pedal a few weeks ago. Overall, I really enjoyed it. It was a slow start, and the rest is a full season and a half solely in one particular race event. Even so it I felt it produced entertainment all the way through even if the main character is a bit on the wimpy side, but a good character to have nonetheless. The whole gag with anime and the "Love Hime" song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NGIw5kjcWQ) was brilliant in my opinion in its usage in the series, tons of fun.

I also loved the main antagonist.

Honestly, it also had the best after episode scenes I've seen in the history of anime. And I thought the series had some funny moments too, something I'm not particular about overall.

Anyways once the second season ended I thought it finished in a very satisfactory fashion.

But now I learn we'll have a third season:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-06/yowamushi-pedal-tv-anime-gets-3rd-season/.93845

Not sure how I'll feel about a third season story wise, since it'll be very hard to retain the interest after the high in which the original two season run ended, but I'm always up for for more entertainment, so what the heck. There was also a movie that I think came out about a month or so ago, not sure what was the deal with that.

I recall some of you guys watching this series, did you ever manage to finish it?

Myself, I still lament we didn't get more out of Over Drive, which I particularly liked more.

David75
Mon, 10-12-2015, 12:54 AM
I watched all eps the day they were available.
I can't say it was a masterpiece, but it was really enjoyable.
And I'm surprised they are planning a 3rd season too. It will be hard to get an objective that gets the audience attention as much as the interhigh, evenmore when the MC won it at his first try...

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-25-2016, 09:33 PM
I watched this the other day and felt it really crashed towards the end - and by "towards the end" I mean the last 2/3 of episodes (pretty much right up until the competition started).

She show started off well introducing aspects like cadence/gears/dancing etc, and why various characters were sprinters or climbers. After that introduction, it all went flat. Onoda's balance seemed to hardly matter towards the end when they could have used it to describe his conservation of energy. Ace/endurance riders were never touched upon on why they were better than their climber/sprinter counterparts. Drafting only actually works in flats where wind resistance is a factor. Climbing is all about gravity and no amount of pulling is going to help you.

The show started off well highlighting different technical aspects of the sport. Then it either got too magical, or too emotional. People won for no good reason.

Being a sausage-fest kind of sports show, it wasn't stylistically cool either like Haikyuu was. I can't recommend this beyond the first 13-20 episodes.

Munsu
Thu, 06-22-2017, 10:31 PM
Any of you following the New Generation series?

David75
Mon, 06-26-2017, 05:44 AM
I did at first, but the show became a parody of itself... Going overboard every single episode with every character got me to stop watching it.

Munsu
Mon, 06-26-2017, 05:17 PM
I did at first, but the show became a parody of itself... Going overboard every single episode with every character got me to stop watching it.

Yep, I understand that and agree. I'm caught up personally, but yeah it's gone a bit too much into the ridiculous. Nevertheless, I still like to watch it.

MFauli
Mon, 04-02-2018, 10:05 AM
Started this 4 days ago, I'm now at episode 22. :o

Something that wasn't answered so far: Why is the Kanzaki girl not riding a bike herself? It makes her look real dumb when she's so in love with cycling, but can only cheer on the guys. #metoo

Munsu
Mon, 04-02-2018, 11:14 AM
Started this 4 days ago, I'm now at episode 22. :o

Something that wasn't answered so far: Why is the Kanzaki girl not riding a bike herself? It makes her look real dumb when she's so in love with cycling, but can only cheer on the guys. #metoo

Of the first series? And yeah, I agree with that observation. Don't recall if it was ever addressed and I forgot, but they should.

MFauli
Mon, 04-02-2018, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I'm watching the first series. Ofc I know the cheering manager girl-trope, but it's really distracting here because of how much she likes cycling. Ir's like ... go grab a bike and start climbing, dancing, dashing, girl. ;/

MFauli
Mon, 04-02-2018, 05:55 PM
Episode 27:

Omg, MOVE, Onoda!

:/

How long was he waiting?! For a new water bottle? For some chitchat? Wth ...?! That was infuriating.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 04-02-2018, 09:32 PM
Tell me what you think after season 3. I dropped it after that )or maybe season 2, whenever the seniors graduated. It didn't seem interesting anymore but I'd be keen to hear what you think.

Munsu
Mon, 04-02-2018, 09:47 PM
Tell me what you think after season 3. I dropped it after that )or maybe season 2, whenever the seniors graduated. It didn't seem interesting anymore but I'd be keen to hear what you think.

Probably after the 2nd series then. First series was 38 episodes and second one was 24 episodes. We're now on the 3rd series. I've continued watching it, don't have much to say other than that.

MFauli
Tue, 04-03-2018, 12:26 PM
Todokoro singing Onoda's dumb song to catch up was super awesome xD

Also, Midousuji always makes me feel like I'm watching a Shin Megami Tensei-anime and he's about to summon a gruesome demon that destroys the world, lol.

Munsu
Tue, 04-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Todokoro singing Onoda's dumb song to catch up was super awesome xD

Also, Midousuji always makes me feel like I'm watching a Shin Megami Tensei-anime and he's about to summon a gruesome demon that destroys the world, lol.

Hime Hime is always the highlight of the show for me, too bad they don't use it more often. Midousuji is great.

MFauli
Tue, 04-03-2018, 05:46 PM
You know, I'm actually beginning to root for Midousuji. He's basically fighting ALL positions on his own. Sprinter, climber, ace. It's hella impressive. Excited to find,out more about him. There was a tease of him 'carrying more on his shoulders'. Looks like he has a reason to win.

MFauli
Fri, 04-06-2018, 09:13 AM
Wow, I hate Onoda's mom. She's so cartoonishly dumb. "What's a bike race?" She doesn't care one bit about her son's life outside of a generic 'ofc i love my son'. This is hard to watch.

oh, Naruko going blind from pulling his team up the mountain and then dying, I mean, dropping out made me tear up.

Munsu
Fri, 04-06-2018, 09:33 AM
Yeah, the mom sucks balls. And not in a good way.

MFauli
Sun, 04-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Up to season 3, Naruko just lost to Midousuji.

Wtf am I watching: 'Is this your next form, Midousuji?' As if I'm watching some Evangelion-esque high concept story, except it's about cycling xD

Munsu
Sun, 04-08-2018, 03:36 PM
Up to season 3, Naruko just lost to Midousuji.

Wtf am I watching: 'Is this your next form, Midousuji?' As if I'm watching some Evangelion-esque high concept story, except it's about cycling xD

Yeah.

Also... go binge watch Major now.

MFauli
Sun, 04-08-2018, 03:44 PM
Once I'm done with this ;o

MFauli
Tue, 04-10-2018, 09:44 AM
Season 3 finished. Damn, couldn't give Teshima that one, huh? Boo!

Munsu
Tue, 04-10-2018, 10:21 AM
Season 3 finished. Damn, couldn't give Teshima that one, huh? Boo!

I also hate that him playing fair, which let Manami win, doesn't get that much recognition. Even from Manami himself.

MFauli
Wed, 04-11-2018, 09:56 AM
Btw this anime has worse pacing than old DBZ 4 seasons for ... two races. Kust lol.

MFauli
Sun, 10-16-2022, 04:35 AM
Season 5 - Episode 2:

God, I love Midousuji. :D I don't know why the series tries so hard to paint him as a villain, when he's really just the most dedicated bike racer of them all <3 Contrary to the others who just drive as fast as they can, Midousuji actually comes up with crazy strategies to push the limits of himself and others. Makes it so much more exciting and fun.