PDA

View Full Version : Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru

neflight86
Thu, 10-08-2015, 12:24 AM
http://img7.anidb.net/pics/anime/176436.jpg

The story revolves around Tatewaki Shoutarou and Kujou Sakurako. Shoutarou is a normal high school student with a serious demeanor who likes to show off his girlfriend Sakurako. Sakurako is an extraordinarily beautiful woman in her mid-20s from a rich family who loves "beautiful bones". The two live in the city of Asahikawa in Hokkaido, and they get involved in various incidents regarding bones.
--from anidb

HorribleSubs 01 (https://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=741845)

Nice, inoffensive mystery with a (so far) stock kuudere female lead who will no doubt charm some here. Simple mystery and lack of a villain call into question the show's format going forward, as I am used to detectives confronting the guilty parties in these things.

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 10-08-2015, 03:20 AM
That comparison with a femur in the opening line was just so weird. Of course it makes sense after watching the show.

I'm interested to see where they go. Sakurako seems funny. We'll see if the guy turns out to be more than a straight man.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-08-2015, 08:07 AM
I really loved this. I'm a sucker for weirdo onee-sans with long black hair. Too bad for the "boy" she is engaged. I wonder if that fiance will turn out to be an understanding weirdo that will step back for our main pair or a culprit that will get taken out of the picture eventually.

Kraco
Thu, 10-08-2015, 03:35 PM
That was rather stupid. The only thing I liked was Sakurako. She was interesting and unique. The MC dude is a whiner and a terrible no-fun straight man, like Moogles already said. It would be impossible for Sakurako to fall for him unless she would simply fall for any guy who would be sticking around long enough, regardless of the personality.

The treatment of the police was even more idiotic than is usual in series where the main characters aren't officers themselves. It also seems quite strange to me they wouldn't automatically study the cause of death of all human corpses found under unknown circumstances. They certainly do over here. But apparently a moron detective glancing at bodies and declaring it's a suicide with no proof whatsoever is enough in Japan. No wonder the crime rate is so low and all crimes are solved in the Land of the Rising Sun.

Honestly, I'm tired of shows where they try to create a genius character by making everybody else about as intelligent as monkeys. Truly, in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

KrayZ33
Fri, 10-09-2015, 09:23 AM
Meh, it could be okay, but I'm not sold yet....

Detective was really stupid
MC dude seems to be really useless and by that I mean he could not ne there at all and it wouldn't make a difference. Don't know why we get to listen to "his part of the story".
Sakurako is pretty cool though, but I don't think this series has much to offer in general.

I mean, what is ever going to happen with that boy at her side? Probably some mystery stuff (which the viewer will probably not be able to work out himself) and thats it. Can't imagine alot of trouble from bad guys, and any romantic development is (hopefully) very unlikely.

It's proably not fair to compare them, as they are too different(?), but I'd prefer Hyouka over this.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-09-2015, 09:49 AM
The kid's role is probably common sense. Sakurako has very little of that despite her intelligence, and that'll get her in trouble sooner or later.

Kraco
Mon, 10-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Episode 2 - HS

- - - - - - -

Black belt won't do you any good if you can't get off your ass and do something. He was even sitting right next to a chair, which is an excellent object to use as a shield against a knife. I'm honestly not sure if that karate background is good or not for his character. He was merely useless before, now he's useless despite having unlikely potential (what is his interest in martial arts if any danger makes him turn into jelly even in front of his love interest?). But then again, I guess every Asian knows martial arts, so it's just that.

The cop was as brainless as ever, but that's his trademark, so it can't be helped. Otherwise this ep was better than the first one. It actually made Sakurako seem intelligent, not just everybody else look like an idiot.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-19-2015, 01:02 PM
Well, if you consider the results, the kid saved the lives of everyone there.

Kraco
Mon, 10-19-2015, 02:31 PM

The already knifed cop did. Which is admirable considering his uses are so few in general. Shoutarou performed the very last move when there was basically no imminent danger to himself anymore since he could approach the addict from behind. If the cop hadn't appeared, it looked like Shoutarou would have been knifed like a lamb and Sakurako would have got a chance to do some forensics on her own corpse.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-19-2015, 02:42 PM
The already knifed cop did. Which is admirable considering his uses are so few in general. Shoutarou performed the very last move when there was basically no imminent danger to himself anymore since he could approach the addict from behind. If the cop hadn't appeared, it looked like Shoutarou would have been knifed like a lamb and Sakurako would have got a chance to do some forensics on her own corpse.

Going by that argument, everyone would have died if Soutarou didn't beat the dude up. Whether it was brave or cool or risky or safe is irrelevant to the fact that the kid saved everyone there.

Kraco
Mon, 10-19-2015, 03:29 PM
Going by that argument, everyone would have died if Soutarou didn't beat the dude up. Whether it was brave or cool or risky or safe is irrelevant to the fact that the kid saved everyone there.

I don't see how you are going by my argument. Shoutarou didn't have the guts to meet the addict face to face. He could only do anything and attack when the cop diverted the crook's whole attention. That was the least a policeman should have done in that situation, so it's natural, though. Shoutarou of course has no obligation to risk himself (and even his obligation to protect his own life is merely what his DNA should be telling him), but he did have the boldness to brag about being a black belt when in fact all he could do was serve the secondary role of a sneak attacker, leaving the dangerous role to a bleeding man barely able to stand. Officially that's all right, but it's not all too brilliant for an MC.

Might as well say that going by your argument the whole host of officers who arrived later saved everybody there.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-19-2015, 03:52 PM
I was going by your statement that the knifed cop saved them. He definitely did, but not without Shoutarou's help.

If Shoutarou wasn't there, everyone would have died. That goes for the stabbed cop too.

Of course, if the stabbed cop didn't help, they would've died too. So the cop and Shoutarou together saved Sakurako and the child, who would/could not escape. That doesn't change the fact that he saved them.

I don't even understand what you are trying to argue with that last line. The backup would have come long after everyone was dead if it weren't for Shoutarou's self defense.

It's like you're trying to explain who is more heroic, but that is irrelevant to what I said and am saying: Shoutarou saved them.

Kraco
Mon, 10-19-2015, 04:54 PM
So the cop and Shoutarou together saved Sakurako and the child

VS

Shoutarou saved them.

That's my problem with what you said. He alone couldn't have saved even himself. He didn't do anything to save anybody before the half-dead cop pulled his last stunt. After that Shoutarou did play his part, sure, so you can very well say the cop and Shoutarou saved everybody. But Shoutarou alone saved nobody. However, what he did didn't require somebody with a black belt in karate. If he had immediately defeated the addict without the cop's help, then having the back belt would have made it far more plausible.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-19-2015, 07:19 PM
The already knifed cop did (save them).

VS

But Shoutarou alone saved nobody.

Based on your second line, the knifed cop saved nobody too. He would've died without Shoutarou after all. But based on your first line, you clearly said that the knifed cop saved them. This is completely irrelevant though. I'm just pointing out the inconsistency.

Playing a critical part in saving people is the same as saving them. I never said that he saved them alone or that he could do so. When a fireman saves a child from a burning building, does it not count as saving them because he had a whole team behind him dousing out the flames?

The point is without Shoutarou, they would've died. I don't know if it's possible to state that more simply.

I never cared about his Karate or black belt or whatever else. Like I said, I wasn't stating an opinion. It was a simple statement of fact.

Kraco
Tue, 10-20-2015, 01:33 AM
Like I said, I wasn't stating an opinion. It was a simple statement of fact.

In my opinion (since I unfortunately only have opinions) the cop played the critical part by confronting the criminal face to face. It doesn't really matter who attacks a drug user from behind, as long as it's not a tiny child or a century old, feeble geezer. It doesn't take a black belt to render somebody unable to harm others for the time being if you do it from behind. So, yeah, they both saved everybody there, but the cop was the one who initiated it and thus played the critical role. That's why I first said the cop saved them because he first needed to save Shoutarou so that Shoutarou could have saved anybody. If the cop had remained outdoors he would have been in no danger anymore as he had already called for backup. I'm sure the addict would have taken his sweet time killing everybody indoors in order to chase for the butterflies or whatever he was mumbling about.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 10-20-2015, 08:04 AM
Again, I'm not talking about that. You're arguing about the process, which was never part of my point. From my very first post, I focused on the result and never detracted from it.

Even if Shoutarou tripped on a pebble and knocked the culprit down, that would still mean he saved them, even if it is by accident. In this case, it looked a little better because he actually intended to do it, but that is irrelevant.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-23-2015, 02:26 AM
Let me think of this in counterstrike mode: Cop gets MVP, boy defuses the bomb.

HS - Episode 03
(http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=747399)

-------------------------------------

Well firstly, it was weird in ep1 for her to comment on the sloping parietal bone of the skull while feeling over the frontal bone.

I find this series rather enjoyable, but the whole CSI-lady-transformation thing with the gloves and skeletons just doesn't work for me. It feels weird and out of place given this realistic lack-of-paranormal setting.

I prefer the female classmate next door, even if she comes off as being in denial here and not entirely honest to herself when she talked about her grandma's death.

Kraco
Fri, 10-23-2015, 06:03 AM
I wish the author had a hobby of watching German, British, and American detective series, and reading similar books from a number of countries. Maybe that way these episodes would be a bit more intelligent. Right now I can't really see the upwards trend I thought was happening in the second episode. The MC dude's role is also a disgrace. It's not unique by any means, but that only makes it worse. It's such a cheap skit. A better pair of characters, even if they still remained as high contrast as these, would serve to create more intriguing cases, plus it would actually feel they both had something to offer. Now it's just a very capable but weird adult and a school boy whose only role is to act as a chaperone. Stupid. Stuuupid.

Kraco
Wed, 11-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Episode 5 - HS

- - - --

Why is everybody save Sakurako such a blistering idiot in this show? It ruins otherwise decent arcs like this current one.

The author must have an toxic painting of her own hanging on the wall, turning her brain into soft mush.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2015, 02:43 PM
The author is a woman?

Kraco
Wed, 11-04-2015, 03:30 PM
Oota Shiori. Isn't Shiori a female name? At least it sounds like one.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-04-2015, 04:33 PM
So that's why all the men suck.

Kraco
Wed, 12-09-2015, 05:02 PM
Episode 10 - HS

- - - -

This show has far more varied cases than the initial setting would have you believe, so in a sense the fact Sakurako is only really interested in corpses and bones makes it more colourful. Just like traditional live action detective series are more interesting if there's at least one detective with more personality.

But it still sucks and really lessens this show that everybody save Sakurako, especially all the men, are idiots. The MC dude is the biggest of the fools, which is quite painful indeed. He's so stupid that he doesn't even learn anything despite encountering mysteries continuously in Sakurako's company. Such a pitiful case of a man.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 12-10-2015, 07:04 AM
He is also still 'just' a kid with a normal sense of values as opposed to Sakurako. At least they are a whole lot more normal than hers anyway. From what I can tell from the latest episode is that one of the reasons she is so into that stuff is that she can find the killer of that boy Shoutaro. In episode two she shouted his name when she thought the MC could die. The man that got arrested in that episode was also all drugged up and talking about butterflies and how he needed to get them to 'him'. I assume he also means that painter.

So the MC is really just filling up the hole created by the death of Shoutaro which was probably caused by that painter. So I'm glad the show has a deeper plot than just random events strung together.

Kraco
Thu, 12-10-2015, 07:40 AM
Yeah, he's a kid, but doesn't that create more contradictions here? He's obviously in love with Sakurako, yet he's all the time reprimanding her and telling her what to do and especially what not to do. Would a kid behave like that in the company of an older person? If he's mature on one hand, he should also be mature on the other to learn and understand. Doesn't he realise he has nothing in common with Sakurako and, even worse, he doesn't approve of Sakurako or at least not her interests and methods even if he's jubilant when she solves a case? Even the teacher would make a better pair with Sakurako since he at least has his professionalism and added to that his deep understanding of plants and insects connected to the plants. The MC has bloody nothing and is trying to develop nothing, except for his youthful spirit, which will hardly win him an older lady, unless the lady is a shotacon. This show would be more balanced if the dude had a hobby he'd be really into, and that would be helpful somehow in some of these cases. But then again, it's plain as day "balanced" is not a word the author is even remotely familiar with.

Munsu
Sun, 08-13-2017, 09:27 PM
Just watched this series and have mixed feelings on it.

On one hand it had both very interesting cases and some very stupid dull ones, and some just plain boring nothing happens episodes. In a 12 episode series, that's not a good balance to have.

Sakurako is a cool as fuck character I thought.

Shoutaro was for the most part a tragic character to have only because he has all the makings of being a cool character himself, but they constantly purposely make him make dumb decisions/observations while he has already shown in the past that he has very good observation skills, and good critical mind, and wits about him. Yet, a few minutes later that's forgotten for some reason.

We're left without facing the "big bad".

Last episode was a bit bitter sweet, I thought it was fairly satisfying in some regards, particularly glad they didn't rush to some sort of clash against the enemy, on the other hand it simply remains an incomplete story.

I'd watch another season if it came to that. Sakurako by herself is worth it.