PDA

View Full Version : Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry: Chivalry of a Failed Knight - A Tale of Worst One

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 07:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VPVaTvS.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=2&v=bMIarTOSN7o

Plot Summary: Magic Knights are modern magic-users who fight with weapons converted from their souls. Ikki Kurogane goes to a school for these Magic Knights, but he is the "Failed Knight" or "Worst One" who is failing because he has no magical skills. However, one day, he is challenged to a duel by Stella, a foreign princess and the "Number One" student. In this duel, "the loser must be obedient for life."
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=17062

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry: Chivalry of a Failed Knight episode 1 by Horriblesubs:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=740402

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 10-03-2015, 07:23 PM
And another manga that I've been readin that got animated this season. Guess this really needs to compete with Asterisk since it's pretty much the same setting.

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 07:25 PM
And another manga that I've been readin that got animated this season. Guess this really needs to compete with Asterisk since it's pretty much the same setting.

Or just watch both?

Edit: I'm 4 minutes in, and you wouldn't know how accurate you are on your statement. Scene by scene there's a strong parallel with Asterisk, and I'm just 4 minutes in.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-03-2015, 08:28 PM
You guys are underestimating how generic generic LNs are. Believe me, I've read these two and many more.

EDIT: Just watched it.

This was adapted poorly. They made it fit the stereotypes far more than it needed to. Stella could've been a lot more mature, and Ikki could've been less of a dork. Even the action scenes felt half-assed. This was lazy work that decided to cater to the masses.

Kraco
Sun, 10-04-2015, 02:59 AM
Reading the description this sounded exactly the same as Asterisk, with the fatal exception that the MC is apparently a loser in this one. I don't care if he has some special destiny as a shounen hero, but getting below average academic scores means one is either a loser or Black Star, and there ain't any black stars in a story that sounds as stupid as this one.

I'll stick to Asterisk, especially since I can derive from Shinta's post this has even been adapted poorly to boot. A couple of seasons ago I watched a few of generic shounen with nearly identical settings (actually quite similar to this), and till the end of the season I couldn't remember which name belonged to which title. I don't particularly want to repeat the experience.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:09 AM
I really hope there's going to be some unique features to tell these shows apart.
I'm going to get my magical high school battle shows with red haired main heroines confused.

I also really hate the "He's the worst, but actually the best" trope.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 10-04-2015, 05:29 AM
I am planning of watching both because why not. I'm already reading both of the manga's.

Munsu
Sat, 10-10-2015, 10:38 PM
Here's episode 2:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=742990

Well... Yuri-chan, completely awesome character I thought.

Hate the sudden harem, but expected... lots of time wasted in echiness. Nothing else worth mentioning, didn't think much of this second episode.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Don't wanna spoil, but harem is the one thing you don't have to worry about in this series.

Munsu
Sat, 10-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Episode 3:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=745847

At least the best episode so far, doesn't mean much, but there's that at least.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-24-2015, 06:17 PM
Episode 4:

Good fight. I like the fact that the harem is combo broken so early in the story.

Munsu
Sat, 10-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Episode 4:

Good fight. I like the fact that the harem is combo broken so early in the story.

At least so far, but yeah.

Overall a pretty enjoyable episode and a good fight to watch. These last two episodes have been considerably better than the first two episodes, so we're going in the right direction for the most part. I'll keep watching without much reservations for now.

Kraco
Sun, 10-25-2015, 01:49 PM
The fight wasn't without its problems. It's hard to understand why the dude was simply standing still. Perhaps his initial plan didn't work anymore, but if his mentality is really so weak that when plan A fails, he simply decides to give up and die, it's no good. He'll never be as good as the grandpa. It was made even more stupid by the fact that once he picked himself up, he could immediately and one-sidedly end the fight using his old technique. It means he could have done it any time. Or at least after the first or second hit. In fact he could have probably avoided the second hit already, partially if not fully if he had wanted. His willpower is sorely lacking.

It's jolly good he went forward and confessed. Much, much better than going down the generic harem route.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2015, 02:08 PM
Confessing in front of a stadium of people was probably the only think I like about Stella so far. She really could've been done less tropey.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-25-2015, 02:13 PM
Didn't watch 4 yet but I was pleasantly suprised by the fight in episode 3. It was way over the top, but it happened to look pretty cool, even it it was somewhat ridiculous (wall walking + leap of faith etc.):D

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2015, 02:27 PM
It was made even more stupid by the fact that once he picked himself up, he could immediately and one-sidedly end the fight using his old technique. It means he could have done it any time. Or at least after the first or second hit. In fact he could have probably avoided the second hit already, partially if not fully if he had wanted.

It was implied during his mental epiphany that it was the beating he took that allowed him to read the enemy's mind to that extent (as nonsensical as that is). He couldn't have done it from the start.

He really should've used his Ittou Shura even before (or as soon as he could after) the battle started and beat the guy before he could disappear, but they excused that because of his nerves, which is uncool but sorta makes sense because of his background.

Kraco
Sun, 10-25-2015, 04:43 PM
It was implied during his mental epiphany that it was the beating he took that allowed him to read the enemy's mind to that extent (as nonsensical as that is). He couldn't have done it from the start.

This is where I disagree. That's why I said one or two hit at max should have been all he needed. The problem was that he didn't activate his ultimate technique. He just stood there waiting to get hit and die. I have no doubt if he had activated his trademark power, he could have learned what he needed without nearly dying. If you think I'm wrong, then he will die very soon as he wouldn't stand a chance against serious opponents. However, since I bet the MC doesn't die, it will prove I'm right. This was all, or almost all, due to his inexperience, lack of imagination, and lack of willpower.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 10-25-2015, 05:23 PM
I think it was because he had a surefire plan of being able to detect the arrows. After that he panicked and couldn't get in the right mindset without Stella's support. I mean even if he had used Itto Shura during his panic I am not sure if it would have worked. Yes it raised everything to the max but if his mind was still in disarray it would have only added to the stress.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2015, 05:26 PM
This is where I disagree. That's why I said one or two hit at max should have been all he needed. The problem was that he didn't activate his ultimate technique.

Ittou Shura has nothing to do with his Blade Steal ability. He was using it just fine before he activated Ittou Shura against Stella. It was explicitly stated that he sees through an opponent's sword technique by reading it as he fights, and Perfect Vision is an even more advanced version of that (explicitly said by loli announcer).

Ikki said in his thought monologue that he needed to remember every move his opponent had done so far, and even the opponent's words and voice throughout the fight. That move is impossible to do without having enough data to do the prediction/deduction.

The ability itself is absurd (as the Hunter said, it's a cheat), but it is even more absurd if it took him only 1-2 blows to understand everything that the opponent thinks/will think/will do. Just to be clear, he didn't sense anything. He predicted everything, even the super move the enemy did (fucking ridiculous).

EDIT:
Just to be clear in case you are misunderstanding me, I'm not denying that he is inexperienced and has an easily shaken mind (I mean, c'mon, that was the whole point of that episode). There are also a number of ways he could've won with his skill set that did not involve him nearly dying, one of which I mentioned in my previous post.

What I am saying is that his Perfect Vision skill requires enough data to work. He didn't plan for it to turn out that way. It was a lucky accident (aka plot armor) that he survived long enough, even getting shot in the vitals, to gather enough info to predict everything The Hunter will do from then on. Everything he said before turning the fight around points to this.

Kraco
Sun, 10-25-2015, 06:15 PM
I'm not denying what you say. But his special skill would allow him to avoid taking crippling damage (or damage that should be crippling, but he's apparently like a terminator who can ignore wounds when it suits him). So, he could learn what he needs to learn, and learn it faster, without getting himself into a half dead state. This opponent was a boastful loser, no matter how you look at him, but the later ones down the lane shouldn't be. Moreover, unlike Stella, the later serious opponents should already know his powers beforehand. He can't fricking afford getting himself nearly killed before he tries to attack with the limited time he has. Even this dude could have killed him while he was lying on the ground. Granted, he could have ended this fight before it really began, but that's another story.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2015, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I just reacted to the one to two hit comment you made, but other than that, I agree with you that he should use what he has better.

I mean, he doesn't even need Perfect Vision if he can move that fast and chop anything to pieces.

Wait, that was Ser-vesta.

Munsu
Sat, 10-31-2015, 09:13 PM
Here's 5:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=751262

So... now he's the most badass fighter in the school apparently. Although a meh episode, I'm finding the series more watchable than initially assumed. Looks like we'll be fighting tougher battles from now on, but the focus in this episode was clearly the romantic development.

Kraco
Sun, 11-01-2015, 04:26 AM
He's only the most badass in the eyes of losers or the mediocre. I guess he would be a hero for those since he was just prior called the Worst, yet now he has gained some serious fame. Probably the lesser fighters dream they could pull off similar miracles, never realising Ikki is training like a madman every day. Some of the girls might be just fangirls as well.

Stella is huge trouble to deal with. I feel sorry for the dude.

Munsu
Mon, 11-02-2015, 09:52 PM
He's only the most badass in the eyes of losers or the mediocre. I guess he would be a hero for those since he was just prior called the Worst, yet now he has gained some serious fame. Probably the lesser fighters dream they could pull off similar miracles, never realising Ikki is training like a madman every day. Some of the girls might be just fangirls as well.

Stella is huge trouble to deal with. I feel sorry for the dude.

Well, he only needs to act as her master and everything would be settled. If he wanted, Stella wouldn't be of any trouble :)

Kraco
Sat, 11-07-2015, 03:50 PM
Episode 6 - HS

- -- - - -

Are the authors of Asterisk and Rakudai exchanging notes when they write their stories, or something? The similarities even episode by episode are going too far.

It seems a bit unfair to me that in Ikki's school students who use their weapons without a formal permission are kicked out, yet in other schools in the area student are free to fight anybody they want no questions asked. It's pretty hard to avoid bullying and icky situations under such circumstances when the people concerned are all immature student fighters.

Looks like the dude at least managed to upgrade his nickname, even if the new one is weird.

The scene of adjusting the posture was quite hot, I have to say. Innovative fanservice. Much better than just showing a lady in a swimsuit like in the other show.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 12:59 AM
The funny thing about this story is it feels like the author wrote himself into a corner by making Ikki so godlike in terms of swordplay.

First we have an invisible hunter, now we have a sword eater. It's like every antagonist so far is designed to defeat Ikki but will lose easily to Stella and her AOE full power attacks.

Kraco
Sat, 11-14-2015, 03:50 PM
Episode 7 - HS

- - - - -

Ikki's horse is so high already that the dude's head is safely in the stratosphere. It's a great view from up there to look down on people and tell them what's right and wrong, what they should be doing and what not, how to live their lives, how to feel and how to think. His attitude, methods, and acting made this episode far more amusing than any purposefully written comedy could have. He's such a self-sacrificing saint.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-22-2015, 12:19 AM
8 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=758862)

This was a ridiculous episode.

1) Reaction time doesn't do shit for offense. You don't REact when attacking.
2) Ikki was struggling with a scratch on the chest. He friggin went Super Saiyan when his chest was stabbed through before...
3) Ikki didn't use Ittou Shura..? At least it wasn't shown. If so, why? Just beat down comedy characters like this guy.
4) The entire dojo stealing concept was as forced as hell.
5) Reaction time means nothing if you can predict the enemy's movements. Just fucking predict where he will dodge when he reacts to your attack. Even if he can see it, it's meaningless if the muscles can't keep up, and that naturally happens when you know what the enemy will do next.

Overall, this series is suffering because of the ridiculous abilities they gave to the MC. If you have blade steal and perfect vision, plus Ittou Shura, you simply can't be beaten in sword combat. This arc was a desperate attempt to make things exciting with those conditions (limitations).

Kraco
Sun, 11-22-2015, 03:44 AM
When Ikki started smiling during the fight, I thought it was because he was realising he's already easily within top 10, considering how the opponent dude, while formidable, didn't even require him to use Ittou Shura, yet he made it to the best 10 the previous year. It was also a good call not to use his special technique when he didn't need to. No use showing his cards to every opponent, especially those from other schools.

I reckon Sword Eater's muscles were as super as his reaction time, making it possible to adjust his attacks and defences faster than normal humans could. They were also referring to that by saying he ran out of stamina rather quickly.

Betting the whole dojo on a single fight seems excessive, for sure. The old man is a rather selfish person despite all the preaching he does about how the fighting style is meant for protection. For sure he couldn't protect his daughter from the consequences of his own pride and inability to admit he has grown old.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-22-2015, 09:00 AM
Ittou Shura isn't a secret though. Everyone who has seen him fight already knows about it, so rankers from other schools would too.

Having super muscles isn't enough to allow you to dodge everything, but I guess it isn't nearly as ridiculous as perfect vision. The problem I'm having with these abilities is that they contradict rules the story itself established. Prediction >>>>>> Reaction for obvious reasons.

Kraco
Sun, 11-22-2015, 09:05 AM
Ittou Shura isn't a secret though. Everyone who has seen him fight already knows about it, so rankers from other schools would too.

True enough. But perhaps there's some difference between knowing academically and experiencing it first hand. Ikki might need to fight this dude again under official circumstances, unless somebody else beats him first.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-22-2015, 09:11 AM
Of course there is a difference. Letting the gangster villain cutout experience it first hand would've been a lot more bad ass lol.

Still, the funniest thing in this show was when Ikki wrecked the face of the building when he kicked off of it to save the kendo girl and land in water. Dude, you didn't have to kick that hard... It was such a short distance. And if your legs can do that, just land on the ground normally. I'm pretty sure the durability needed to wreck that building exceeds what is necessary to jump from a rooftop with a girl in hand.

Kraco
Sat, 11-28-2015, 02:59 PM
Episode 9 - HS

- - - - -

Was the fat Italian mafioso hired by Ikki's old man to get rid of the wayward son, the shame of the family name? At least it did look like Ikki was the primary target, not Stella, and they were talking about "him".

KrayZ33
Sat, 11-28-2015, 03:41 PM
I'm only @ episode 8 so far and maybe it's just me but the relationship between Ikki and Stella is really boring and more importantly very inconsistent. I can't even say their interactions are "funny" or anything like that. His little sister doesn't spice things up either.

I don't need or want them to be "do you really love me? really, really, really love me?" I'm fine with them being established as a pair already. But this show isn't working with it at all. Even SAO managed to keep it interesting in some way or another.

David75
Sat, 11-28-2015, 03:53 PM
Episode 9 - HS

- - - - -

Was the fat Italian mafioso hired by Ikki's old man to get rid of the wayward son, the shame of the family name? At least it did look like Ikki was the primary target, not Stella, and they were talking about "him".
We've had this in the other generic anime from last year with God reincarnation... It was related to bets and the likes.
Could be the same here, as we get that fat mafioso to fit the stereotypical role.

Kraco
Sat, 11-28-2015, 03:57 PM
A very good observation. I completely failed to take that into account, despite such a thing having appeared before recently.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-12-2015, 12:03 PM
EP 10's fight was seriously good.

Lots of diversity, nice Water/Ice magic which wasn't boring to look at.
Pretty strong episode in that regard... Stella and Ikki are so boring in comparison. The "all knowing Onii-san" is really starting to get out of hand/on my nerves.

Kraco
Sat, 12-12-2015, 04:43 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- - - - -

What a shitty world they are living in. Kind of like nazi Germany or soviet Russia. An underage person is arrested for 9+ days because of a single consenting kiss, with no right to a lawyer and the judge is a known mafioso working for a biased party. He's treated poorly and with violence, his wounds left untreated, and he's not allowed to meet or contact anybody outside. And the whole omnipotent agency is called Ethic Committee. The nazis or the commies would have been proud.

This actually creates the strange paradox that if they live in such a shitty society, it should be full of resistance. Unfortunately Ikki is about as intelligent as an average rubber boot, so he's playing by the screwed rules of the through and through corrupt society. Instead of, for example, cutting down the fat mafioso and being done with it.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-12-2015, 05:35 PM
It's because he's the kind and most loving Onii-san you'll ever get to see.
Not even kidding when I'm saying he's more fucked up than that Sasuga Oniisama from that Jesus-dude show. (Mahou something something)

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-26-2015, 01:24 PM
This show was shit.
Only fight worth watching was Sister vs Lightning and everything else is better off ignored. Especially the romance stuff.

Kraco
Sat, 12-26-2015, 03:54 PM
Especially the romance stuff.

The romance was quite bad, but to be honest it was still much more than shows of this type usually offer, that is, either only fan service or brainless harem. Or both. To actually have a couple forming is almost unique, which is quite ridiculous.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-26-2015, 04:52 PM
Ya maybe, yet the romance in SAO was probably of godly quality compared to this.
The whole "prison"-arc was so ridiculous.

Munsu
Sun, 02-14-2016, 08:44 PM
Well just finished the series.

In all, a waste of time.

The fight between the sister and Toudou was very good. The last fight was anti-climatic though. Other than that, meh on everything. Thought it was going to get a lot more interesting after the mall incident, but it went back to its roots right after.

At least for a 12 episode series it had a decent feeling of completion.

Moving on.