PDA

View Full Version : Gakusen Toshi Asterisk - The Asterisk War: The Academy City on the Water

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 09:50 AM
http://i.imgur.com/thCPm5G.jpg

Description: Invertia was a meteor storm that caused an unprecedented disaster during the 20th century. Because of this disaster, numerous cities around the world were destroyed. However, within the meteor, an unknown element called mana was discovered. It allowed human technology to make rapid strides giving rise to a new species of super-powered humans, the Star Pulse Generation (Genestella). The Festas (Star Warrior Festivals) host battles between Genestella at a city of six academies called “Rikka,” also commonly known as “Asterisk.” Scholarship student Ayato Amagiri transferred into Seidōkan Academy in order to fulfill his own wish, swearing he too will fight in this city.
Shamelessly copied from ANN

AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=11177)| ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16943)

HorribleSubs: 01 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=740200)

----------------

What does this series have going for it? This is about as shamelessly generic a Sci-Fi Fantasy Light Novel style anime can get. And the worst part? That's actually exactly what it has going for it.

The premise is generic. The characters are one cliché after another. The plot is pulled right from the How to Write a Generic LN handbook. And somehow it actually works.

If you've watched a series that even remotely sounds like this, you've already seen every second of what this first episode has to offer someplace else.

I felt like I was watching the Even Lighter Novel version of Chrome Shelled Regios (though less dismal). You have a bunch of city-states-as-schools with powerful fighters in an apocalyptic world. Schools that fight for political and economic power. You have the recent transfer student, who pisses off the powerful female lead, and he shows her up in battle. You have the scheming Class President character (though this one is a girl and kinda teasing/slutty). You have the rumor of a mythical weapon (Ogre Lux instead of Dites).

Of course this has a lot more checklist ecchi moments. The meet-cute between the male lead and the female lead is her in her underwear, he lands on her boobs in a fight, they end up sitting right next to each other in class, she's the isolated brusque "princess" (literal and figuratively) who he manages to open up to. His first friend is inexplicably his roommate.

Point for point for point for point this series is a generic checklist of generic light novel clichés. And it appears to be intentional.

The animation is good, the fights are engaging, the magic powers are fun to watch, the main character isn't a completely worthless but coincidentally miraculously amazing person, nor is he a Gary Stu. The cast is pretty good and the OP is also good.

Give it a shot. For every single mark against it, it somehow manages to just work. I tried it because there hasn't been much else to watch so far. I expected to hate it, and I didn't. I actually rather enjoyed it.

David75
Sat, 10-03-2015, 10:09 AM
If you like tonkotsu, you like it everytime you eat it at the same place, eventhough it's same same thing (to epsilon variations) all the time.
I guess the same is true for generic anime.

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 10:17 AM
No, I actually hate series that sound like this one's premise. I'd grown quite sick of them.

Counterintuitively, this series is successful because it appears to go out of its way to be cliché and generic and do it well.

Blatantly ex-delinquent teacher with a nailbat? This has to be on purpose. It doesn't his some of the scifi/fantasy LN clichés, it seems to deliberately hit every one of them. It even seems to go out of its way to avoid giving itself a unique variation.

David75
Sat, 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM
I think I get what you mean.
We'll see later if it was on purpose... Or just a variation on your average generic anime ;)

Kraco
Sat, 10-03-2015, 10:59 AM
The authors are also developing. Think of all the humorous, weird names in Gate, and now the early gorilla villain (which in itself is of course a 100% pure distilled cliche) is called Lester MacPhail (and we learn he keeps failing). Clearly a healthy sign of being able to laugh at their own work and its shortcomings, or perhaps the fact the market demands stuff like this endlessly and thus they have no choice but to keep providing.

If the MC had been weak, I would have dropped this like a piano from a fifth floor balcony, but he shows some promise, so I'll keep watching for now. He really ought to know better than to just barge into an unknown apartment through an open window. Unless he grew up in a ninja village, there's no excuse for such gross lack of manners.

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 03:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiLnJI7cTbk

Not sure what to think of it yet, it was all info dumping and senseless battles so far... but I was entertained. I kinda liked the princess' drastic change in emotions, they were fun even if it'll get a bit old and annoying.

Not a fan of the fanservice, but I'll have to make do.

For now, I'll be keeping up with this one.

ANIDB also has page already up for an assumed sequel, so at the very least this should have more than 13 episodes.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-03-2015, 03:43 PM
The battle looked really good and while over the top, kinda awesome.
The explosions really looked like explosions, that was cool.

The rest was Yadayada ketchup blood and ecchi hiya crap but meh, girls are kinda hot so its fine by me so far.

I hope MC is actually aware of his "awesomeness" later on... he didn't really try to dodge the fight *that* much and actually went for it, so that's a good sign at least.
What I don't want is a constantly whining yet extremely strong male lead.

It'll probably turn into this Mahou-show from last year(?) at some point though, yet - when that killer-jesus siscon walked the field and kept killing and owning everyone, that was an "okay watch" for me too. The music and animation was decent enough after all, especially that part against the "crimson prince" or whatever he was called.

tl;dr

flashy animation n' girls
most likely "meh" story wise.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-03-2015, 09:34 PM
I'm reading through these posts, and my brain is exploding.

reads descrption: don't watch this
But Ryll reckons it's fun
But it's stupid and a complete joke. You're watching this to find tropes and cliches
Still looks okay though right?
No, just don't

I don't know...

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-03-2015, 09:47 PM
If you don't like LN shounen battle stories, skip this. Otherwise, go ahead and check it out.

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 09:51 PM
If you don't like LN shounen battle stories, skip this. Otherwise, go ahead and check it out.

Not sure why guys are being so picky all of the sudden, based on description, considering the high amount of shit we watch through the year/s anyways.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-04-2015, 03:50 AM
I watched this right after Rakudai no Kishi.
I thought maybe I accidentally started the same show over again, lol.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:07 AM
I watched this right after Rakudai no Kishi.
I thought maybe I accidentally started the same show over again, lol.

Which one is better? This one looks visually better from the trailers.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:13 AM
So, they're both about a main character who meets a red haired princess girl who is super amazing. And he meets her by seeing her in her underwear.
Then she gets mad at him and they have a duel where the MC either wins or pretty much wins.
Oh, and they're roommates.

In fact, there's probably more similarities than differences at this point.

I was really, really, hoping the girl in this show was going to break the trope of getting seen in her underwear and then getting mad about it, but she just had to fall into it.

To answer your question... if I could only pick one of these two shows to continue, it would probably be Asterisk at this point because of the subplot about the MC's sister.
I actually don't really remember anything interesting about Rakudai's MC.

Kraco
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:18 AM
So, they're both about a main character who meets a red haired princess girl who is super amazing. And he meets her by seeing her in her underwear.
Then she gets mad at him and they have a duel where the MC either wins or pretty much wins.

They should have made it so that the girl stumbles on the dude in his underwear, and consequently the dude challenges the girl to a duel to settle the score. That woud have been a bit more fresh.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:26 AM
That would have been funny. Anything but the same tired trope would have been great.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:31 AM
They should have made it so that the girl stumbles on the dude in his underwear, and consequently the dude challenges the girl to a duel to settle the score. That woud have been a bit more fresh.

But would the guy win or lose?

Kraco
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:41 AM
But would the guy win or lose?

That would need to depend on the plot and what it tries to achieve. In this show, Asterisk, there wasn't a clear winner as the match was interrupted by the crafty council president. We did get a feeling the dude was better suited against the opponent in that particular duel. We certainly do have shows with both outcomes, whichever serves the story.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:53 AM
I suppose the dude had won, but he didn't grab her badge, he went for her boobs instead. On accident. Of course.

@Buff
I wouldn't say the appeal of this show is that viewers should be looking for clichés and tropes. I said that it appears to go out of its way to be cliché and generic and do it well. It's the execution that makes this worth watching over the over variants this season.

It's not that they didn't subvert the underwear meet-cute. It's that they did it well. She didn't slap or attack him right away. She calmly got what she wanted back, and then blew his ass out the window. It's a return to the more classic tsundere instead of the more recent trend of blush and insta-rage (popularized almost entirely by cookie-cutter Kugimiya characters).

edit:
Though we did see that exact reaction minutes later on the boob-grab, also well acted (her little squeak). But the fun part there is that he goes for the squeeze after they both realize it, not before in the typical, "Durr...I wonder what this soft thing is." And the whole scene has a nice shift in background music to properly set the tone.

It's the execution here that matters.

edit 2:
I noticed after I made mention of the music that it is produced by FlyingDog (Macross F, ARIA s3, Kamisama Dolls, Amagi Brilliant Park, etc.) and the music director for this one is, Rasmus Faber, a Swede! Who has happened to do an awful lot of work with Yoko Kanno. Very good sign.

Kraco
Sun, 10-04-2015, 05:58 AM
but he didn't grab her badge, he went for her boobs instead.

The fact he has his priorities right is one thing allowing me to watch the show.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-04-2015, 08:07 AM
I actually like the source material for Rakudai better, but this was adapted far better than that. I also love the way Julis speaks. The masculine tone clashes with her pink hair, unlike the super classic tsundere version of the twintailed redhead in Rakudai.

Moving forward, Rakudai will probably be a bit more unique because of one critical aspect, but other than that, the similarities have only begun. Hold onto your seats.

Munsu
Sat, 10-10-2015, 11:12 PM
Here's episode 2:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=742864

I have to say, I'm actually enjoying this one. Even with the introduction of the harem element, I'm enjoying this series... I guess I've been liking the characters so far. The introduction of the new one Saya was a plus, great character and addition so far.

So on that regard, something worth watching for the time being for me. Hopefully we'll dig more into the story aspects soon to see where this goes.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-10-2015, 11:33 PM
Harem isn't really a bad thing. If it is done badly, like anything else, then it is.

Munsu
Sat, 10-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Harem isn't really a bad thing. If it is done badly, like anything else, then it is.

It's not about good or bad, it's about interests... I don't care for them, so the best I can hope for when presented with them, is that they don't annoy the fuck out of me.

For now, the presentation of it here has been fun plus I like all 3 girls so far, so easy to move on from it.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-11-2015, 03:55 AM
Blue-haired girl is cool. I like the huge grenade launcher.

... That was this show right? And not the other one? That one also had a blue haired girl show up...

David75
Sun, 10-11-2015, 03:58 AM
That one second ep was utterly boring and useless.
The other clone was a little better until the bathroom scene that was a letdown.

Kraco
Sun, 10-11-2015, 06:47 AM
The main girls are giving me slight Trinity Seven vibes, and that's a good thing. The MC dude can kick ass, but otherwise he could be a bit more honest and decisive. It's nothing that would especially bother me so far, though. I'm quite satisfied with this show all in all, keeping in mind its loud and clear inherent limits.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-14-2015, 08:43 AM
I like the mix: airhead, tsundere, slutty onee-san.

Seems like easy fun.

Munsu
Wed, 10-14-2015, 08:45 AM
I like the mix: airhead, tsundere, slutty onee-san.

Seems like easy fun.

Airhead?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 10-14-2015, 08:54 AM
Airhead?

The sleepy one with no direction. She gives me airhead vibes even though she's not actually stupid.

Feel free to offer a more apt description though. Maybe just Nebosuke.

lelouch
Wed, 10-14-2015, 05:11 PM
Maybe just Nebosuke.

Tf is nebosuke?

Munsu
Wed, 10-14-2015, 08:27 PM
The sleepy one with no direction. She gives me airhead vibes even though she's not actually stupid.

Feel free to offer a more apt description though. Maybe just Nebosuke.

I'd say that's much better, but not quite there yet? But yeah as far as airhead goes, I don't see a single element of it.

Tf is nebosuke?

Sleepyhead?

Munsu
Sat, 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM
Episode 3:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=745715

I guess Claudia boobage to be featured.

Kraco
Sat, 10-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Such a pity to turn down her advances. But considering he didn't realise he wants to protect Julis before the very end of the episode, I guess it makes sense.

Munsu
Sat, 10-17-2015, 03:51 PM
Such a pity to turn down her advances. But considering he didn't realise he wants to protect Julis before the very end of the episode, I guess it makes sense.

Right, but only if you follow that logic.

I liked episode 2 a bit more, I missed Saya... probably overslept.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-17-2015, 11:52 PM
"My bed keeps me hostage" has to be my favourite excuse for sleeping in now.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-24-2015, 10:35 AM
HS - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=748328)

----------------------------

Still fun. Hopefully Claudia only throws enough spanners into the works to keep things interesting rather than to hinder progress.

David75
Sat, 10-24-2015, 11:35 AM
So the weakest was able to spank asses... But was weak because of restraints, cause in fact he's a monster of power. And the restraints are probably there to keep him safe from his own powers...
I think we've seen that before.

I guess pwning the guy with one hand while carrying your princess at the same time is fun.

Claudia is the spice of the show, for sure

Munsu
Sat, 10-24-2015, 12:46 PM
HS - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=748328)

----------------------------

Still fun. Hopefully Claudia only throws enough spanners into the works to keep things interesting rather than to hinder progress.

Fun overall because it had an abundance of action, but personally was really disappointed in how weak the action was portrayed. Hope they do better in the future. Ayato came in and was all badass, but how everything was animated it really didn't show, and quite boring.

The final scene though made up for much of this episode's failures with the violence, though disappointed with the whole "he's not dead yet" bit.

And once again, no Saya in this episode, but looks like she'll be in the next one. She's been missed.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-24-2015, 05:51 PM
Julis is so cute..!

Her speech style and low voice are perfect, especially when she puts her hands all over Ayato('s face).

Very good adaptation so far. I'm looking forward to the more awesome battles later on. Really, this fight is utter trash in comparison.

Munsu
Sat, 10-24-2015, 06:47 PM
Julis is so cute..!

Her speech style and low voice are perfect, especially when she puts her hands all over Ayato('s face).

Very good adaptation so far. I'm looking forward to the more awesome battles later on. Really, this fight is utter trash in comparison.

That's good to know. It just didn't compare to much of the action animated so far, which was disappointing since this was the first major altercation we've had.

Kraco
Sun, 10-25-2015, 01:44 PM
So the weakest was able to spank asses... But was weak because of restraints, cause in fact he's a monster of power. And the restraints are probably there to keep him safe from his own powers...
I think we've seen that before.

I don't think he's supposed to be weakest or anything like in the other show. He's just a transfer student (with a flawed common sense) who immediately kicked ass.

It's alright for me that the fight was poorly animated and executed in this episode because honestly a fight against a hundred (or 2^7+1) mindless dolls is going to suck in any case. Better save the effort and budget for proper fights against capable human opponents. It was still funny he was able to pull it off carrying Julis, as he clearly just didn't want to let go of the pretty girl he fell for.

Like Shinta, I like Julis a lot. I also appreaciate how directly the MC dude simply told her that he's going to make protecting and supporting her his goal. It sounds kind of phony or stupid in a white knightish manner under most circumstances, but the situation was permitting and he did have the correct mindset and honesty to pull it off. Although it still might have been more straightforward to just go ahead and confess his love to her, as everything else then would follow naturally.

David75
Sun, 10-25-2015, 01:55 PM
It's true I did mix the two generic stories... My bad

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-25-2015, 04:42 PM
Hahahaha... this happens a lot this season

I watched ep3 Rakudai today and when that hooded guy showed up (you couldn't see his face and this show had them in these clothes too) I was like: "Oh... this must be that guy with the huge axe that keeps pressing the girl to fight him... wtf is he doing?"

When they revelead his face I realized that I was thinking about a totally different show. (well... different in name)

It feels as if they did this on purpose, to make fun of us and how we bother to watch the same old bullshit again and again. (which is true of course)

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2015, 05:36 PM
It is probably intentional. If one came after the other, they would be accused of copying the former. At least now the viewers can clearly see that the genre just lacks originality fundamentally instead of thinking that one of the shows is a mere copycat.

lelouch
Sun, 10-25-2015, 05:49 PM
It feels as if they did this on purpose, to make fun of us and how we bother to watch the same old bullshit again and again. (which is true of course)

While One Punch Man simultaneously shits on everything else you watch.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-25-2015, 06:21 PM
Are you accusing Kray of having terrible taste?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-31-2015, 09:22 AM
HS - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=751111)

------------------------------

I didn't expect Toudou to be #1. I expected her to be somewhere lower down the line given she's "just" super-speed.

Kraco
Sat, 10-31-2015, 09:50 AM
Neither of those two used their their real strength in the match. It was still, probably, a good show for the audience, but that's all it was.

I hate the MC's sister, btw, which is why it's so jolly he's not really looking for her, even if he eagerly listens to any rumours and bits of information. The little we have seen of her made her look like some know-it-all who simply decided what is best for Ayato with no regard to his own opinion. It's even worse because it's obvious he trusted her completely. Now, then, he's being massively held back the seal. You can of course imagine that he will become stronger if he has to cope with a handicap, but to be realistic it's no good if he's facing other monsters.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Super speed is usually enough to kill everything, unless they have magical defensive auras or iron skins, and rightfully so.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-31-2015, 12:42 PM
You can also read their movements, either because they use rehearsed patterns or because your attacks limit their options.

If Ayato went easy on Toudou, he really shouldn't have. He saved no-one by losing that duel.

Kraco
Sat, 10-31-2015, 04:23 PM
If Ayato went easy on Toudou, he really shouldn't have. He saved no-one by losing that duel.

Nah. It's better he didn't display his real skills in front of that gallery (not to mention it would have guaranteed nothing since Toudou was definitely not giving it her 100% either). Some were even recording the match. He'll have much easier time in a couple of early matches when the opponents don't know what to expect. It was a pointless duel anyway. If the girl is so super powerful, nothing's forcing her to accept abuse from the geezer. She could end it any time she wanted. Ayato simply didn't know she's the number 1 fighter, and he got ahead of himself in his white knighting. If he really wanted to make a point, he should have kicked the man's ass, not Toudou's. What's the point of fighting the victim instead of the abuser?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-31-2015, 10:16 PM
Just watched this.

Ayato did his best, but he was obviously at a disadvantage because of his time limit, and that's what caused him to rush at the end. Not only that, Ayato is used to real combat and did not pay enough attention to his badge, like the secret agent side character said in his commentary.

Kirin too had a huge disadvantage. She managed to defeat Ayato without clashing swords with him. Do you know how ridiculously hard that is? If not, ask a kendo master to defeat someone without ever crossing swords, with both parties knowing that condition. LOL yeah, Kirin is number 1 for a reason.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-31-2015, 11:05 PM
@Kraco: But now he shows everyone he's as fast as the #1, that he might have a time limit (if they watched closely enough), and the only good outcome is that Toudou thinks better of him.

@shinta: The Shadow Star guy said Ayato also dodged every attack from Toudou without going for a parry/block instead. That's putting himself on equal footing with Toudou (defense-wise), while having a time limit. Throwing away your advantage willingly is going easy.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-31-2015, 11:14 PM
You got that the other way around. Kiri avoided all contact at the advise of her uncle because it would cut her sword. Ayato never had such a handicap.

Also, about the translation "Amagiri is still not going all out with Ser-Vesta," that's just plain wrong. What the sidekick said was, "Amagiri is unable to use Ser-Vesta to its maximum potential."

@Kraco: But now he shows everyone he's as fast as the #1, that he might have a time limit (if they watched closely enough), and the only good outcome is that Toudou thinks better of him.

@shinta: The Shadow Star guy said Ayato also dodged every attack from Toudou without going for a parry/block instead. That's putting himself on equal footing with Toudou (defense-wise), while having a time limit. Throwing away your advantage willingly is going easy.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 10-31-2015, 11:31 PM
Hmm, you're right. In that case, why did Princess conclude that Ayato could read attack/defense patterns when Yabuki said Toudou's been dodging his attacks?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-31-2015, 11:55 PM
No, you got that wrong too. Princess concluded that Yabuki could read the attack/defense patterns, indicating his hidden martial prowess.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-01-2015, 01:56 AM
Ah. Well that makes sense now.

Kraco
Sun, 11-01-2015, 04:15 AM

Which is precisely why the princess told him to avoid extra duels serving no purpose. It's not like he could have fought without giving any hints to the audience, especially since he apparently still wanted to win and the opponent was the number 1. Actually that quite funnily shows how self-centered Ayato is: He hasn't even bothered to check out who are the strongest contestant in his own school, yet he's eagerly butting in when he sees strangers arguing. So, in fact he's not at all interested in who he's (supposedly) helping or why, he's just satisfying his own testosterone powered need to interfere.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Yeah, and judging from his herbivorous behavior despite having 2 girls pining for him, he also doesn't see Julis in a romantic way like you previously thought.

At least Ikki managed to get further than this in the same number of episodes.

That said, this show is vastly superior because of waki.

Munsu
Mon, 11-02-2015, 09:50 PM
Which is precisely why the princess told him to avoid extra duels serving no purpose. It's not like he could have fought without giving any hints to the audience, especially since he apparently still wanted to win and the opponent was the number 1. Actually that quite funnily shows how self-centered Ayato is: He hasn't even bothered to check out who are the strongest contestant in his own school, yet he's eagerly butting in when he sees strangers arguing. So, in fact he's not at all interested in who he's (supposedly) helping or why, he's just satisfying his own testosterone powered need to interfere.

Arguing or slapping faces (abusing one might say)... I think the distinction needs to be made.

Kraco
Tue, 11-03-2015, 03:24 AM
Arguing or slapping faces (abusing one might say)... I think the distinction needs to be made.

If the one being slapped is a stronger fighter than you are and very obviously stronger than the slapper, what business could you possibly have to interfere? Well, other than in the "get a room, don't make a public spectacle" kind of way. One thing is clear: You aren't defending or saving anybody. Unless, of course, Ayato wants to claim the geezer's role and take care of Toudou for the rest of her school days (and possibly the rest of her days, being the gentleman he is). Poor Julis in that case!

There's simply no intelligent excuse for Ayato not to know after all this time. He isn't anymore a transfer student of the same day. He's simply totally disinterested unless it momentarily suits his ego.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-03-2015, 03:35 AM
If the one being slapped is a stronger fighter than you are and very obviously stronger than the slapper, what business could you possibly have to interfere?

I don't like this. That's basically saying domestic violence against males isn't a thing.

Kraco
Tue, 11-03-2015, 05:38 AM
I don't like this. That's basically saying domestic violence against males isn't a thing.

I realise there could be lots of complications and even a physically stronger person could be blackmailed into submission, but we are talking about fighters here, not random civilians. Futhermore, she's the number 1. The school would be exceptionally shitty and low grade if the number 1 can't protect herself according to her own will. Since we also saw the whole thing from the beginning till the end and Ayato ended up fighting Toudou, there's nothing ambiguous left at all. She was fully condoning everything that happened. We don't know her circumstances, but since she's the number 1, not everything can be bad even if she has to accept some slapping as a compensation.

Like I said before, the only thing justified for Ayato at this point would have been to protest against the public nature of the incident (not the duel but what made him interfere).

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-03-2015, 06:50 AM
She's submitting to her uncle like how black people submitted to white people. They think that's how things are in the world, and it's particularly ingrained in traditionally vertical societies like Japan.

They "willingly" do prostate themselves because they don't have any other choice. The solution is to present to them this alternative. Not just say "oh you can just leave", but actually prepare a whole new place for them to be: both physically, socially and emotionally. Only when this is option is a reality can you say they willingly accepted the slapping.

Kraco
Tue, 11-03-2015, 08:51 AM
Isn't she a student living in a dorm? She already has a whole other place to be in. Possibly she wouldn't be the top fighter if she didn't follow her uncle's commands, though, who knows.

In the end I don't think I'd have had much against this incident if Ayato had had the wits not to fight Toudou. He stepped in to stop the geezer, yet ended up being played by the man like a tool. Somebody like that has no business trying to meddle in other people's affairs. He should grow up a little first to be able to finish what he started, lest he only makes things worse (like he now did).

Munsu
Tue, 11-03-2015, 10:56 AM
Isn't she a student living in a dorm? She already has a whole other place to be in. Possibly she wouldn't be the top fighter if she didn't follow her uncle's commands, though, who knows.

In the end I don't think I'd have had much against this incident if Ayato had had the wits not to fight Toudou. He stepped in to stop the geezer, yet ended up being played by the man like a tool. Somebody like that has no business trying to meddle in other people's affairs. He should grow up a little first to be able to finish what he started, lest he only makes things worse (like he now did).

So, your philosophy in this is to turn a blind eye unless it's convenient to oneself. Got it.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-03-2015, 11:46 AM
To be fair, Ayato is very strong. He just got paired with a stronger enemy. Moreover, he was challenged to a duel, so it would be counted as his loss if he declined.

Personally, I still would've declined even if I lost by defaulting because fighting with the abused party, even if it is for their own good, is kinda messed up.

Kraco
Tue, 11-03-2015, 11:49 AM
So, your philosophy in this is to turn a blind eye unless it's convenient to oneself. Got it.

Yeah. Kind of comparable to what the USA and allies did in Iraq. The place wasn't a paradise under Saddam, but when the USA & Co were finished, it had turned into a hell on Earth. Ayato achieved nothing with what he did now, only made things worse for himself by not avoiding the public duel, and on the other hand he lost the bet in the fight against Toudou, thus only reinforcing the scumbag uncle's position. If he had merely stopped the initial strike, told the old man to not cause a disturbance in the public (that's such a magic word in Japan anyway), he would have hurt nobody. Instead he just had to accept the idiotic, pointless duel because of his half-assed philosophy.

Kraco
Sat, 11-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Episode 6

- -- - - --

Just like I thought, Toudou perfectly accepts working under the uncle, as scumbaggish as the man is. Naturally it could be said that she's so young she doesn't know any better or can't seek for less disagreeable ways, but that's just a reality of life. If she doesn't have the means to do it on her own, she can choose to follow someone else. The other alternative is to adandon her goal. I wasn't so bothered by Julis turning her coat since she's in love with Ayato and tried to score some loose points, but it did bother me considerably more how much Ayato was apologising. If he's sorry for what he did, then don't fricking do it in the first place.

Ayato's ignorance is really starting to shine. He doesn't know shit about the school he's attending, and apparently has zero interest in trying to change the situation. It's quite remarkable he even bothers to go to school in the first place. He must be getting failures from all the exams as well with his attitude. Not to mention he has never read or watched any fiction (or even non-fiction in that world of theirs) in his life as made evident by his inability to imagine the cores of the gel dinos. Really, the dude is an idiot.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Ayato's obliviousness allows for scenes like the lunch-trade scene with Juils though.

I gotta admit, I'm a fan of Ayato and Toudou nerding out about sword techniques.

I do have two questions about this episode though:

- If Claudia can see into the future, and is scary strong, how did Toudou defeat her? Or is it that they've never directly challenged each other and Toudou has defeated more scrubs than Claudia?

- What exactly is the goal of the two girls from the Green school? Last episode they said that Seidoukan is allied with their school, while at the same time they keep sending constructs to attack Seidoukan students. I get that they want to beat Seidoukan in whatever tournament is coming up, but the two girls don't seem to be at all interested in that, rather some other vague bullshit about new weapons or something.

Kraco
Sat, 11-07-2015, 03:43 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if President Fanservice granted them a permission to keep sending the constructs. She's kind of shady. Ayato has been of special interest to her from the beginning, so the choice of a target is probably connected to that as well, if indeed this is a part of the collaboration. I find it hard to believe she wouldn't know.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-07-2015, 11:12 PM
Just like I thought, Toudou perfectly accepts working under the uncle, as scumbaggish as the man is.

Yes, because she has no real alternative, like I've said before.

You ask domestic violence victims why they don't leave, and they'll say accept their situation because leaving has xyz setbacks. It doesn't make things exactly "fair". It's like saying slave-labour wages are fair because you don't have to accept the work.

- If Claudia can see into the future, and is scary strong, how did Toudou defeat her? Or is it that they've never directly challenged each other and Toudou has defeated more scrubs than Claudia?

They've never faced each other. They're both undefeated. Toudou gets the #1 rank because she's not using any special equipment.

- What exactly is the goal of the two girls from the Green school? Last episode they said that Seidoukan is allied with their school, while at the same time they keep sending constructs to attack Seidoukan students. I get that they want to beat Seidoukan in whatever tournament is coming up, but the two girls don't seem to be at all interested in that, rather some other vague bullshit about new weapons or something.

I'm not entirely sure myself, but Allekant isn't an ally so much as someone who has a joint-project agreement with Seidōkan. Add to this fact that they were essentially blackmailed into accepting this deal, sabotages can be expected.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-07-2015, 11:55 PM
Toudou gets the #1 rank because she's not using any special equipment.

This is just speculation. Toudou is amazing because she doesn't have an ogre lux, but that isn't the reason she is #1, at least according to this episode.

Everything else, agreed.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-08-2015, 01:29 AM
This is just speculation. Toudou is amazing because she doesn't have an ogre lux, but that isn't the reason she is #1, at least according to this episode.

Did the episode specify a reason, or do you think it's an unknown at the moment?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 01:47 AM
Unknown at the moment, but I bet she just beat more strong opponents, all according to her uncle's plan.

Kraco
Sun, 11-08-2015, 03:39 AM
Yes, because she has no real alternative, like I've said before.

Dunno how you could say for sure anything before, especially since back then we didn't know even the little we know now. We still don't know if working under her uncle was the only chance for a decent life she could see, or if it was just to satisfy her ambition. Apparently she does have a pressing reason, but wouldn't most have in a school whose aim is to train strong fighters and pit them against each other and those from other schools? It's not exactly just like a normal high school, which would mostly be a step toward the next form of education or even just a regular job for those not interested in schools.

I'm sure she actually would have a real alternative or a few with her skills and potential, but she's too young and shy to try to find them. It didn't seem to me like the uncle was specifically blackmailing her. It looked more like by helping him she was helping herself.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 08:58 AM
He obviously spoiled from the light novels. Buff is an avid reader of them.

/jk

Kraco
Sat, 11-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Episode 7 - HS

- -- - - -

I believe it's rather usual that people with solid martial arts background are scrutinised more deeply for excessive force in self-defence, but it was rather ridiculous in Toudou's dad's case. Decades of imprisonment when he was saving her little daughter from an armed criminal? In the first place if they went through all the levels of the justice system and that judgement still remained the same, how are they supposed to change it now?

Other than that, I like Toudou now much more. She's obviously kind of timid as a personality, but she still has the guts to push forward so quickly and meet Ayato eye to eye with the duel, joining the training, and switching to first names. I guess things are much easier when one isn't a tsundere, har har.

It's a pity Ayato and Julis aren't a couple now like the MCs in the other series. That's so refreshing compared to a harem.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-14-2015, 12:05 PM
A boob grab with enough force to crush a badge? That's rough.

I still don't understand how this is helping her father, unless publicity = solves my problem, which seems to be where this story is going (publicity/wealth from winning).

Kraco
Sat, 12-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Episode 10 - HS

- - - - - - --

MacPhail is so full of fail. You aren't supposed to simply stand still when your opponent goes to suck her sister's neck as if she had all the time in the world. You are supposed to keep attacking, not giving a second of rest as soon as the match begins. Good thing the dude dropped out. He has got no business being there.

I like the sister much more in this show than the other one. Kind of a douche move from Ayato to not go to any of her matches using whatever excuses.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-07-2015, 05:46 PM
What sister?

Kraco
Tue, 12-08-2015, 02:32 AM
Right, she wasn't a sister but a childhood friend? I can't remember exactly anymore. Sasamiya Saya.

Oh, right, Ayato had a real sister. The bastard who placed the seal on him. Fortunately I had forgotten her for a while. Even Rakudai's sister is worlds above that one, that's for sure.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 12-08-2015, 10:17 AM
The shit that happens when to very similar anime air at the same time.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-11-2015, 11:39 AM
Saya is awesome. She's got the most interesting personality of the lot. Most shows have their own version of ditz/tsundere/schemer, even if they're done well here in a cookie-cutter fashion. She's refreshing.

We never did get a reaction following the bath scene. She must have just been happy to see Ayato.

I doubt I'd download the OST since each piece isn't actually that great, but the timing and mood is spot on whenever it's used.

KrayZ33
Fri, 12-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Saya is awesome.

As plain and simple as it was, the scene where she was proud of her "cooking" was adorable and well done... "A-hem!"
It somehow made me proud of her too.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-03-2016, 05:46 AM
Episode 13 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=799339) - Return of Saya.

------------------------------

More pretty fights, Zettai Ryouiki and Saya.

Kraco
Sun, 04-03-2016, 07:51 AM
Saya barely appeared.

It wasn't bad to see a bit of strategy to overcome Ayato's artificial weakness. One still has to wonder why the dude doesn't try to do anything about his condition, though. Surely he's not thinking that since his (evil) sister placed the seal on him, he must not do anything about it? At least he's not hell-bent on finding the stupid sister.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 04-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Saya barely appeared.

There wasn't even a reason for her to put on a ":3" face but she did, and it made up for it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-03-2016, 08:04 AM
I thought it was Buff's idea of an April Fools joke, only delayed randomly.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Episode 15 - HS
(http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=803428)

-----------------

SAYAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

She's simply too cute. Her vocal performance is awesome. She switches between unenthusiastic and passionate all while maintaining that "sleepy voice".

"Boo. Now help me down". :3

I'd hate to be Ayato. I wouldn't be able to decide between Saya's cuteness, Julis' Zettai Ryouiki and Claudia's everything.

What am I saying, I'd love to be Ayato.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-16-2016, 11:35 AM
Why choose?

David75
Sat, 04-16-2016, 11:41 AM
Why choose, in the end the big boobed airhead blonde wins :D

Kraco
Sat, 04-16-2016, 12:24 PM
That fight was embarrassing to watch. When people attain a certain level in fighting power, experience, and skills, they shouldn't anymore put up such a disgraceful display full of openings and mistakes. Or suddenly waking up in the middle of the fight, suggesting they were fricking unfocused until then. Are we really supposed to root for Ayato? He and Julis have bested opponents that would be much worthier of competing for the championship than that halfassed dude who's only winning because he's the main characted.

Without Saya's cuteness this would have been a totally pos episode.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 04-16-2016, 07:07 PM
Or suddenly waking up in the middle of the fight, suggesting they were fricking unfocused until then.

I took his "Awakening" to mean that he's unchained himself. The key to undoing his sister's seal was to realise truly that he needs to rely on other people.

She was afraid that with his strength he would eventually think of himself as the only power that mattered - that he had to do everything, and that he should do everything.

Without Saya's cuteness this would have been a totally pos episode.

I look forward to Claudia's snippets every week.

fireheart
Mon, 04-18-2016, 12:42 PM
I took his "Awakening" to mean that he's unchained himself. The key to undoing his sister's seal was to realise truly that he needs to rely on other people.

Given the title of the episode I think his awakening is just him getting back memories he didn't even know was missing which includes the skill we just saw his sister do, which conveniently seems perfect to use against illusionists.

Kraco
Mon, 04-25-2016, 02:03 PM
Episode 16 - HS

- - -- -

Ooh, the abysmal sounding maid was kidnapped. Couldn't have happened to a more appropriate character. I hope she stays kidnapped for the rest of the show. Or if they want to go the comedy route, right after it has been noticed she was taken, and just when the MCs begin to worry, she walks back on her own. She'd then explain that the kidnappers were covering their ears all the time and finally begged for her to leave as soon as possible.

Saya is so cute and funny.

NeoCybercoin
Tue, 04-26-2016, 01:30 AM
I just want that handmaid to freakin die. That voice is worthy of a Banshee. But I like how Ayato said that his power up doesn't make him stronger. He just lasts longer. A full hour. That's one way of doing it.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 04-26-2016, 02:57 AM
Saya's exosuit!

I can die right now.

edit: Actually, I can't. I still have next week's to watch.

Kraco
Mon, 05-02-2016, 01:25 PM
Episode 17 - HS

- - - - -

Too bad about poor Saya and Kirin. But they did put up a good fight. Especially considering Kirin's general lack of flashy techniques. She really should develop some aces to place up her sleeve or learn to cut anything and everything. Now she can't cut anything special, so sticking to a simple sword has drastic limits.

If they know who kidnapped the annoying maid, they should simply fight fire with fire. Kidnap five important people from the opponent's camp and do an exchange. Only a fool fights a scumbag honourably. Weakening Ayato can't be that important, especially not compared to a boss losing the trust of his underlings, which would happen if he didn't care about the counter-kidnapped people.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 05-07-2016, 08:42 PM
HS - Episode 18 (https://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=809630)

------------

More Girls, just what Ayato needs.

Shadow-Star needs his own gaiden show where he goes into all these dark espionage missions, with maybe Claudia also doing some dirty cleanup.

Kraco
Mon, 05-09-2016, 04:48 AM
It's always so bloody annoying when the heroes are perfectly dancing to the tune set by the villain and are thus only relying on their main character status to get out of trouble. Nothing else really to say about this episode. The fight was laughable. How on Earth did those two manage to get all the way up to the semifinal? They were far weaker than people who dropped out earlier.

I would have forgiven a lot in this episode if when asked about the missing Ser-Versta by his opponent, Ayato had given a straight answer and told some miserable, cowardly scumbag kidnapped a friend of a friend and is blackmailing him, so he can't use the weapon.

Kraco
Tue, 06-07-2016, 11:58 AM
Episode 21 - HS

- - - - -

If the winners of the competition are entitled to some kind of a considerable wish/request, and Ayato wished for an investigation about his (tyrannical) sister's disappearance, the city can't do nothing, even if they want to cover things up. After all, if they don't produce any results and simply tell they couldn't find out anything, it means Ayato's prize was totally null. In such a case the future festas will have lesser participants as everybody will know the prize isn't anything special after all. Quite a dilemma for the city.

Although to be honest this show is so stupid that I reckon his request might even be totally forgotten and never mentioned again, and eventually he will just find his sister on his own. Plus since this a Japanese story, everybody's always so bloody polite that there's only one in a million chance Ayato would go kicking some asses if they don't produce results.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Unspecified wishes as prizes are retarded anyway.

Kraco
Thu, 06-16-2016, 03:08 PM
Episode 23 - HS

- - - - - -

I don't even remember who that miasma girl is, but I guess she's somebody significant. At least her power is. They better equip gas masks when they face her the next time.

It seems to me the brother's proposition was denied because neither wanted to trouble the other. Ayato saw it as something Julis would need to accept as a part of politics, Julis saw it as something that would bind an outsider, Ayato, to the oppression in her home country. Julis, being a tsundere, won't be running out of excuses any time soon. But if she takes too long, Ayato will be snatched away from a childhood friend, student council president, an indebted swordswoman, the idol of a rival female academy, or any number of other girls.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-17-2016, 03:56 AM
Ayato will be snatched away from a childhood friend, student council president, an indebted swordswoman, the idol of a rival female academy, or any number of other girls.

You didn't specifically include Saya in that list while naming everyone else ("any number of other girls" doesn't count).

How dare you ignore Saya.

The Cornelia is great. I would love some sort of spin-off series exploring her underground political life with our Shadow Star friend.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 06-17-2016, 03:59 AM
I am just hoping that Flora magically disappears from the series. She makes my ears bleed when she talks.

Kraco
Fri, 06-17-2016, 04:22 AM
You didn't specifically include Saya in that list while naming everyone else ("any number of other girls" doesn't count).

How dare you ignore Saya.

Huh? Isn't Saya a childhood friend?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 06-17-2016, 06:16 AM
Huh? Isn't Saya a childhood friend?

Oh. Right.

You're forgiven.