PDA

View Full Version : Drifters

Munsu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 06:05 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VuwtyVm.jpg

Plot Summary: On the edge of his death bed Shimazu Toyohisa, is swept into a portal that links to other worlds. This portal has claimed other Drifters people taken from different times, places, and periods and, are used to fight in the ultimate chess game of blood, destruction, and madness.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/manga.php?id=13547

Just came across the news from some months ago (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-03-27/drifters-manga-by-hellsing-hirano-has-anime-in-the-works/.86435) that a Drifters anime adaptation was in the works and got excited, from the mangaka of Hellsing, Hirano Kouta.

Not much info out there that I can see, not sure if this will be an OVA like Hellsing Ultimate or a TV series. Here's a cam preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvYVMtfcFz0

As you can see, violence galore... so OVA might seem appropriate. I haven't gotten too far in the manga, I need to catch up. It was a bit hard to get into because of irregular releases early on, and the beginning of the series is a bit chaotic.

That said, one of the anime series I'll be keeping my on in the future. Hopefully it comes to materialization soon.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-10-2015, 12:27 AM
I'm up for an OVA. If it's got that level of gore and action, OVAs would be capable of looking so much better.

Hellsing's OVA > TV.

Munsu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 04:10 PM
I'm up for an OVA. If it's got that level of gore and action, OVAs would be capable of looking so much better.

Hellsing's OVA > TV.

Agreed. As I understand the managaka is slow with content as it is, so a slower paced release would be fitting. I mean, Hellsing Ultimate took like 6 years to finish.

For the sake of a proper adaptation, I'd be all up for it.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Here's a better version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=d4DcCVIPJJ0

Looks great.

Kenichi Suzuki (JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders series director) is directing the anime. Hideyuki Kurata (The World God Only Knows, Tokyo Ravens, Maria the Virgin Witch) is handling the series composition and writing the scripts. Yousuke Kuroda (Hellsing Ultimate, Gungrave) is also writing the scripts along with Kurata. Ryoji Nakamori (Hellsing Ultimate) is designing the characters and also serving as chief animation director.

The rest of the staff is as follows:

Setting Research: Seiichi Shirato
Art Director: Ken'ichi Tatefuji
CG Producer: Garyo Tanaka
CG Director: Tomohisa Takae
Color Key: Haruko Nobori
Sound Director: Yota Tsuruoka
Letter Design: Setta
Editing: Kiyoshi Hirose
Production: Drifters Production Committee

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-19/drifters-anime-1st-promo-video-previews-animation-staff/.93147

Munsu
Sun, 10-09-2016, 03:05 PM
Episode 1:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=857357

Just finished watching the first episode and enjoyed it. Not as good as I was hoping for the first episode (I had trouble getting into the manga as well early on), but it was nice to see the violent action.

That said, I thought it was a bit weak to entice viewers to watch it. The first battle though nice to see, again because of the cool violent animation, I thought it was too long and simply delayed the main plotline (which we're yet to really get into as it is).

In all I wanted to see more from this episode, getting us more into the story, but too much was wasted I thought in the opening moments and then on comedic instances.

I still enjoyed it plenty, but was hopefully it was stronger in the beginning to make a better impression on viewers.

I'm worried though, the anime seems slated for 12 episodes and they're 25 minutes long ones. Seems like we're going to get shortchanged here as well.

lelouch
Sun, 10-09-2016, 06:59 PM
This seems like a cross between Fate Zero, Inferno Cop, and Salad Fingers. Will continue watching..

Kraco
Mon, 10-10-2016, 12:46 AM
It's funny how much I didn't realise I had missed the wackiness of Hellsing Ultimate. I'm sure I had looked at this thread a year ago, but I hadn't watched the video. Thus I had forgotten this is from the same author, but it certainly didn't take long to realise it watching the episode and seeing how every single non-mob character seemed crazy. Naturally we need to have those insert scenes with weird backgrounds as well. Can't do without those.

The description seems promising. I'll keep watching this with optimism.

MFauli
Mon, 10-10-2016, 07:04 PM
Damn, I was ready to drop it, when in the middle of the episode the twist happened. I REALLY dislike the artstyle, reminds me of Ninja Scroll, which I also despise. But the setup for the story, as evidenced after the twist, has me curious. The summary talks about different time periods, but since thereŽre elves, it cannot be just that.

Episode 2 will determine if IŽll keep watching. Hope the pacing takes a turn for the better.

Kraco
Fri, 10-14-2016, 12:59 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- - - - -

While this was a pretty kickass episode, including forcing the villagers to slay the commander, one thing leaves me wondering: The village pillaging soldiers here were totally green. The series description saying the Drifters are meant to fight an overpowering enemy that's conquering the world, but based on these, now dead, soldiers, there has been no heavy fighting going on whatsoever. These guys had never seen a battle in their lives before. Even if this nation had been safe so far, you'd think they would have better things to do that sit on their hands and bully demi-humans, such as training and getting ready.

Damn shame all elf ladies had been taken from the village, though.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 10-27-2016, 03:39 AM
Watched the first 3 episodes.

Are the Drifters supposed to be the good cause? Cause it seems like they're all maniacs.

I'm a little bummed about this series because the concept is similar to one I thought up awhile ago. The idea being that when you die in the normal world, the afterlife is just you waking up in this other world where a bunch of supernatural stuff exists.

And the main character was going to be this old martial arts master, who dies, and then wakes up in a world were everyone is more powerful than him because they all know how to use their supernatural chi and magic and whatnot. And he has to learn how to fight from scratch, because his martial arts mastery doesn't work against people with auras and fireballs. It's be like a typical shounen story, but with Master Roshi as the main character.

Kraco
Thu, 10-27-2016, 05:01 AM
Are the Drifters supposed to be the good cause? Cause it seems like they're all maniacs.

Who knows. The opponents certainly don't seem any better. Perhaps the world simply has no good side, just two main sides, and then a bunch of little folks being trampled by both of the big ones. Nevertheless, the opponents also want to slay the Drifters, so it's not like they'd have much of a choice.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 10-30-2016, 04:43 AM

---

Perhaps the world simply has no good side, just two main sides, and then a bunch of little folks being trampled by both of the big ones.Certainly seems to be the case. The traditional "evil" fantasy races are trying to wipe out humanity. That's bad.

But, the traditional "good" fantasy races have all been conquered by the humans, who are also apparently bad.

Either way, Nobunaga is pretty great.

And Olminu is a titty monster.

Kraco
Sun, 10-30-2016, 08:34 AM
Yeah, he's splendid with his highly practical and down to earth views. He shoots down any lofty ideas mercilessly.

I wonder why the enemy is so far ahead. They have already unified all those evil fantasy races, but on the human side, nobody has yet collected even all the Drifters, let alone unified the various peoples to oppose the Ends. It's like there's at least a decade of difference.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 11-12-2016, 01:55 AM

----

Hirano sure loves him some Hitler.

Kraco
Mon, 11-14-2016, 05:58 PM
All manner of people in this show, that's for sure.

It was annoying to see the elf females being raped ruthlessly (fortunately they slaughtered all the culprits), but otherwise this is enjoyable to watch as lots of things make historical and tactical sense. Including that disgusting trick of using feces for biological warfare.

It would be cool if they found some natural nitrate deposits to get rid of need to deal with shit and piss so much.

Kraco
Sat, 11-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Episode 7

- - - - - - - -

Ends are people who died in pain and regret, betrayed and shunned by the world. Drifters are people who died doing what they wanted to do? I guess there are no big surprises there.

I wonder if Nobunaga feels like his flintlocks might not be cutting it anymore, after having now seen the might of a gattling gun.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 11-20-2016, 01:04 AM
They seriously need to go get some dwarves. They all need someone who can make them more bullets.

Especially the guy in the airplane.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-25-2016, 03:22 AM
I bet all my money on Jesus being Black king.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 11-25-2016, 03:47 AM
I bet all my money on Jesus being Black king.I thought maybe Hitler faked his death, but I can see that.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-27-2016, 07:38 AM
I thought maybe Hitler faked his death, but I can see that.

I came up with that prediction at the end of episode 02 or so (when Black King was first seen with his army), but now they're setting up for Hitler. I'm changing my bets to him.

I suppose technically, Jesus was brought back to heaven with Father so he's not supposed to be trapped here.

Kraco
Sun, 11-27-2016, 10:21 AM
I don't really see why Jesus would want to annihilate the humanity. That's my biggest problem with the Christ theory. Anime/manga usually depicts Christians as evil, but it's not like in the past the church wouldn't have been full of zealots and especially in the past priests were guilty of great many crimes and even today misconduct is still discovered regularly all over the world. However, there's still a big step from that to making Jesus the source of all evil when he's depicted as such a jolly fellow in the Bible and would rather offer his other cheek as well if he's hit on one cheek.

Episode 8

- - - - -

As expected, Nobunaga fell totally in love with the gattling gun. There's still a long way ahead of them to be able to replicate it and produce ammunition. Not to mention without industrialisation it's going to be a bitch to make enough ammution of sufficient quality for such weapons.

Kraco
Fri, 12-02-2016, 12:45 PM
Episode 9

- - - - - - -

It almost seemed like they used all the new gunpowder in this single attack. While it all was pulled off quite nicely, I wonder if killing the commander was wise for future prospects. The fleeing soldiers will tell the tale to others, which means no commander will want to surrender again. Thus they will conquer new forts this easily only if the grunts decide to rebel.

Now that they have the dwarves and the smitheries, they should build cannons as well. If that building sized greater dragon joins the enemy forces, they need all the cannons they can get.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Thus they will conquer new forts this easily only if the grunts decide to rebel.

That should be the case though. "If we surrender, the commander dies but the rest of us live". If the commander refuses to surrender after hearing this story they'd be painting themselves as selfish folks.

I wish the archer guy was a girl, like how I originally thought he was.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 12-02-2016, 10:18 PM
I wish the archer guy was a girl, like how I originally thought he was.

Don't we all.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 12-23-2016, 07:42 PM

---

Lots of fun. Looking forward to season 2. Lot of the secondary characters didn't get to do shit yet.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-25-2016, 06:45 AM
I know the Black King is 99% Adolf Hitler from all the build up, but with that healing ability he really should be Jesus. Since when could Adolf heal? He was a talker through and through.

DarthEnderX
Sun, 12-25-2016, 11:07 AM
Since when could Adolf heal?Since when could Joan of Arc shoot fire?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Since when could Joan of Arc shoot fire?

Since she got burned at the stake apparently. So did Adolf do some healing right before he died?

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 12-25-2016, 05:52 PM
Nah, pretty sure it's Jesus. Since he already died for mankind he does not want to save it again. So now he'd destroy it and save the other kind. Monsters.

lelouch
Mon, 12-26-2016, 12:18 AM
Didn't they say that the founder of Orte was Hitler? Not the black king. Pretty sure it's either Jesus or Kanye West

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-26-2016, 02:50 AM
The founder of Orte was Hitler. Hitler tried to unite everyone and save the humans. That led to Orte humans constantly fighting and suppressing other races. Then suddenly Hitler disappeared and this Black King appeared. Black King hates all humans and consider them unsalvagable. Instead he brings civilisation to the monsters.

The story is hard-selling Black King as Hitler.

Kraco
Wed, 01-04-2017, 01:44 PM
I don't buy Jesus being the Black King. Why would he ever want to destroy humans? I could understand wanting to save monsters, but not by destroying humans. He's the turn the other cheek kind of guy. If this is from the same author as Hellsing, he should know at the very least that much about Christianity. It would be meaningless to call him Jesus but not retain anything that makes Jesus Jesus.

DarthEnderX
Thu, 01-05-2017, 11:36 AM
I don't buy Jesus being the Black King. Why would he ever want to destroy humans? I could understand wanting to save monsters, but not by destroying humans. He's the turn the other cheek kind of guy. If this is from the same author as Hellsing, he should know at the very least that much about Christianity. It would be meaningless to call him Jesus but not retain anything that makes Jesus Jesus.Your assuming that because he knows anything about Jesus means he's going to write him exactly the same way the Bible writes him.

Jesus from the Bible might not be anything like Jesus the person in this series.

Especially given that, Jesus being the person he is is founded around him being the son of God. What happens when that person who allows himself to be sacrificed on the cross ends up, not in heaven with his father, but in some weird fantasy dimension instead. You might even come to the conclusion that your entire existence up to that point was a lie.

Kraco
Thu, 01-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I get that, but he's not Jesus then, is he? Being able to heal doesn't make one Jesus. I'm not some bigot, that's not why I'm arguing against this, but because I don't see the point of taking a really well-known historical (or so they say) person and then making them totally different from all the lore. That might fly just fine in one of those moe girl series where cute girls only carry the names of historical figures for no particular reason and then do the same kind of things cute anime girls do in 1001 other series.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-06-2017, 01:03 PM
Yeah, I get that, but he's not Jesus then, is he?Why not?

What makes him Jesus is what he did in our world. Once he dies and comes to this new world, he doesn't have to stay the exact same person he was in our world.

Especially when the existence and circumstances of the Drifter world kind of makes his entire life in our world a lie. Why would he continue to be the same person he was in our world after finding out none of what he believed there was true?

Also, you don't actually think the real Nobunaga was this weird cartoon character do you?

Kraco
Fri, 01-06-2017, 01:22 PM
after finding out none of what he believed there was true?

Why is that? What was not true?

Also, you don't actually think the real Nobunaga was this weird cartoon character do you?

No, but I would think he was a competent military leader and strategist considering his historical reputation and achievements. Apparently he wasn't exactly a model daimyou either, behavior wise. Everything fits together with his character in this show.

DarthEnderX
Fri, 01-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Why is that? What was not true?I'm pretty sure Jesus figured after his crucifiction, he'd be joining his father, God, in the kingdom of Heaven.

Instead he got some guy in a hallway that sends him to another world full of more pain and suffering.

Is his conclusion "Well, I guess I just have to do it all again here." or is it "Everything I believed was a lie..."

And if it's the latter, would that not cause him to rethink his entire existence and the way he lives it?

Kraco
Fri, 01-06-2017, 06:24 PM
I don't think the biggest religion on Earth would be based around a guy so flimsy he would reverse all of his beliefs when facing one more trial. I reckon he would just sigh really deeply and try to save another world.

I'm not saying it can't be Jesus, but I don't see the point of it. The Japanese anime studios (and mangaka) are obsessed with evil Christian priests, so making Jesus the boss of the villains would certainly fit their tastes.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Let it be Jesus just for fun.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-07-2017, 01:08 AM
I don't think the biggest religion on Earth would be based around a guy so flimsy he would reverse all of his beliefs when facing one more trial. I reckon he would just sigh really deeply and try to save another world.To hear the Black King tell it, that's exactly what he did. He tried to save humanity, but they rejected him in this world.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-07-2017, 01:21 AM
-Black King tries to save humanity by uniting all races.
-Humans are racist as fuck and oppress everyone else
-"Fuck humans, we'll make a world without them"

Black King - The Origin Story.

You can argue a similar thing for Jesus, where he becomes sorely disappointed with humanity for the countless reasons that exist.

Kraco
Sat, 01-07-2017, 03:49 AM
Uhhuh. That's exactly what happened to Jesus in the bible as well. He tried his best, and for all those efforts he was executed as a criminal in a rather slow manner. We would have a weird religion if that turned him into a merciless genocider.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-07-2017, 04:10 AM
We would have a weird religion if that turned him into a merciless genocider.Well, it didn't turn him into anything because of the whole being dead thing. It could have turned him into a merciless genocider and we wouldn't know because he's not on Earth anymore.

Kraco
Sat, 01-07-2017, 05:16 AM
Well, it didn't turn him into anything because of the whole being dead thing. It could have turned him into a merciless genocider and we wouldn't know because he's not on Earth anymore.

It's what the religion is based on, not historical facts. I suppose a dude named Jesus really did live and do something, eventually got executed, but after that it was all the work of his followers generation after generation. You can hardly read a religious books and look for facts, yet it's still the foundation of the religion, so within that context it's also Christ's personality. For all we know the real historical figure might really have wanted to butcher every single Roman and collaborator in that part of the world, as well as every Jew that didn't follow their own code and laws, but bible would hardly mention that. So, in short, relevance wise what we have is the religious figure. The real historial person doesn't exist.

DarthEnderX
Sat, 01-07-2017, 11:58 AM
It's what the religion is based on, not historical facts. I suppose a dude named Jesus really did live and do something, eventually got executed, but after that it was all the work of his followers generation after generation.Sure, but you could say the exact same thing about, say, Joan of Arc.

Kraco
Sat, 01-07-2017, 02:54 PM
They can't really be compared. Joan of Arc fought bloodily as a soldier against an enemy nation, defending her own, got captured, and burned as a witch. Sent to that other world, she would have nothing to fight for and only a huge grudge. Jesus always opposed fighting and his role was to save people.