PDA

View Full Version : Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen

Munsu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 11:14 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UB3WKlkIqYo

Plot Summary: The nameless protagonist awakens to find himself standing in the middle of a vast, snowy plain he doesn't recognize. Suffering from amnesia, he remembers nothing about himself. Suddenly, he's attacked by an insect-like creature but is saved by a beautiful girl with animal ears and a tail named Kuon. She names him Haku.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=17186

Another Utawararumono series is being released next month, really looking forward to it. The first series was well liked in this forum, hopefully it'll live up to it.

The premise seems too familiar to the first one, so we'll see how that goes. Not sure how they'll be related and even if some of the former characters will show up or something. Honestly don't recall much about how the first series ended, so will go back and watch a few of the final episodes. I think I didn't watch the OVA either, so will do as well.

Who else planning on watching this?

Here's the discussion for the first series:
https://forums.gotwoot.net/showthread.php/13076-Utawarerumono/

Kraco
Wed, 09-09-2015, 11:44 AM
I'll watch it for the scene where the dude touches the girl's tail. The scene from the original was legendary.

Almost as good was the scene where a soldier was lying on the ground, multiple arrows sticking out of his back and his buddy asking him what's wrong.

MFauli
Wed, 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM
The first anime devolved into shitty, generic harem. Ill watch this, but my expectations are low.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 03:49 PM
I will watch it because I love the world they set up, but without Karura I fear it will be lacking that little something.

@MFauli:
You're thinking of Tears to Tiara (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5596).

Utawarerumono was fantastic except for budget cuts and animation quality drops. It had good, strategic warfare and politicking and a diverse, interesting, and well-developed cast.

Munsu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 04:06 PM
I will watch it because I love the world they set up, but without Karura I fear it will be lacking that little something.

@MFauli:
You're thinking of Tears to Tiara (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5596).

Utawarerumono was fantastic except for budget cuts and animation quality drops. It had good, strategic warfare and politicking and a diverse, interesting, and well-developed cast.

Agreed. Though it did have some harem tendencies as it went on, but the show itself had much more to offer than being singled out as a shitty generic harem, as you say, Tears of Tiara became.

As for Karura, well, there should be a suitable replacement in this one I would hope. She was awesome indeed.

MFauli
Wed, 09-09-2015, 04:38 PM
No, I was thinking of Utawarerumono. Calling it harem might be stretching it, considerung true, full-on harem anime, but I still remember it to be annoying how the catgirl, the angel girl and other girls, too, were clinging around the main character ... Hakuoru his name, I think. Itīs just a dumb concept, especially if youīre unsuccessful with women yourself irl :P

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Itīs just a dumb concept, especially if youīre unsuccessful with women yourself irl :P

The bold part being his point.

Munsu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 05:21 PM
No, I was thinking of Utawarerumono. Calling it harem might be stretching it, considerung true, full-on harem anime, but I still remember it to be annoying how the catgirl, the angel girl and other girls, too, were clinging around the main character ... Hakuoru his name, I think. Itīs just a dumb concept, especially if youīre unsuccessful with women yourself irl :P

Ah OK, so you pretty much are against any premise of the presence of an harem itself more than anything?

MFauli
Wed, 09-09-2015, 05:26 PM
Ah OK, so you pretty much are against any premise of the presence of an harem itself more than anything?

Kinda. I think itīs stupid, especially in stories that have potential for "more", but then fall short because of focussing on all the girls falling for the hero. See Danmachi recently. I really liked the artstyle and the setting, but instead of properly exploring that, it focussed on introducing new girls that would go after the hero (in before somebody claiming that itīs my fault for expecting something different, blahblah). Or take Infiniate Stratos. Really neat mecha-suits, super cool fights and great animation ... but instead of exploring that further, itīs aaaaall about all the girls having a crush on the gay hero.

Tbh even Welcome to the NHK is at fault of this. Because while the hero is a typical hikkikomori, he JUST gets lucky to have a cute girl be interested in him outta nowhere.

Itīs a cheap concept for self-deluding otaku imo.

Munsu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Kinda. I think itīs stupid, especially in stories that have potential for "more", but then fall short because of focussing on all the girls falling for the hero. See Danmachi recently. I really liked the artstyle and the setting, but instead of properly exploring that, it focussed on introducing new girls that would go after the hero (in before somebody claiming that itīs my fault for expecting something different, blahblah). Or take Infiniate Stratos. Really neat mecha-suits, super cool fights and great animation ... but instead of exploring that further, itīs aaaaall about all the girls having a crush on the gay hero.

Tbh even Welcome to the NHK is at fault of this. Because while the hero is a typical hikkikomori, he JUST gets lucky to have a cute girl be interested in him outta nowhere.

I'm not a fan of Harem myself, so I know where you're coming from a bit from a story telling perspective. I rather not have it present, but from what I recall Utawarerumono had much more to offer to let it bother me as long as the focus is not too overwhelming distracting the rest.

But we'll see.

Kraco
Thu, 09-10-2015, 02:00 AM

Uhh, yeah. That's what entertainment largely is. It's not limited to relationships (that go both way, btw, since the same concept also exists for girls in the traditional shoujo, where both the princes on white and black horses just happen to choose the ordinary girl (figuratively speaking)). It's the same thing about all kinds of successes. In Utawarerumono the dude not only got the attention of the girls, he rose to a position of leadership, became a strong warrior, decided the fate of the nations, and whatnot, despite being nothing but a masked nobody in the beginning. Girls are just a single detail of many, so don't get stuck on it. You'll soon find yourself watching only... Dunno, slice of life or something, if anything unrealistic in fiction rubs you the wrong way.

That being said, I don't like harem either, when it clearly claims the center stage. I didn't really feel like that watching Utawarerumono back then.

Munsu
Sat, 10-03-2015, 07:22 PM
First episode is out by Horriblesubs:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=740399

Is it just me or are the vast majority of the series of some interest this season all airing episodes from Friday through the weekend? Seems like we'll have a severely unbalanced week this season.

Kraco
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:14 AM
Man, I just knew we would get a tail scene. It wouldn't be Utawarerumono otherwise. Quite an amusing first episode. The dude has a hilarious personality, just like the Boss commented. It's nice there's this distinct difference in attitudes, probably permeating the whole culture, between the animal eared folks and this single human. Haku's lazy attitude also demonstrated the very origin of great many machines: When something is time consuming, hard, and annoying to do manually, you build a machine to do it for you. I'm really happy he did possess those skills considering he was starting to look somewhat useless, even if his disposition otherwise amused me.

I think I'll enjoy this show till the end. Kuon was also a great character so far, and I have liked her voice actor ever since Strike the Blood. There's nothing I wouldn't have liked in this first episode.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-04-2015, 04:24 AM
I enjoyed this first episode a lot. There were a couple oddly paced parts and an overly long pan down, but overall it was interesting.

Kuon is great. I like that she has a bit of an adventurous/sadist side to her compared to Eruru's generally more calm demeanor.

Based on the subtitle, I'm guessing Haku is some clone of Hakuoro or something. I'll have to go back and refresh my memory on all of the backstory and ending of the first anime, as I don't really remember where Hakuoro came from originally or what happened at the end. I do remember the scientists turning into red slime monsters, though.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-04-2015, 08:01 AM
KUON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT TAIL. And I normally hate animal ears and tails. That was really well done.

The hospital gown heavily agrees with mom's theory.

David75
Sun, 10-04-2015, 09:48 AM
That tail is incredibly agile and strong, but Kuon isn't derived from an elephant... Well I don't care, I thought the way it has been used in the ep is great. I also liked Kuon tells Haku he can't touch it as he pleased, only for her to roll it around his head the next scene.

The scene with the giant insect was bad. Because coming from behind, there's no way it would jump over Haku and then attack...

Might be a detail, but I liked the idea Kuon treated Haku like she found a stray cat and is now catering to his needs as the master.

Ryllharu
Sun, 10-04-2015, 09:49 AM
I doubt he's a clone. Hakuoro's mask...wasn't a mask. I think the glittering lines in the opening scene are telling, just not sure of what yet. The goop monsters were also more curious about him than I think they should. I'd be more inclined to believe he was a technopath (to a degree) or a different branch of experimentation than the beastmen. He barely even knew how to feed himself, but accurately described the physics of the watermill in order to repair it.

I've always liked the beastmen of this franchise are far physically superior to humanity, but still have hints of an inherent meekness to them due to the way/reasons they were created. The notable exception being the more feline members, of which Kuon clearly descends from.

I also love the Ainu setting. This one seems to be set even further north than the prequel. The building designs in the town are lovely.

@David:
The feline beastmen apparently are much much stronger than the others like the more common canine people. Karura alone was phenomenal. Kuon obviously follows the feline persuasion despite her non-perky ears. The bird people have magic powers, and whatever the hell Touka was had speed.

David75
Sun, 10-04-2015, 09:57 AM
Hakuoro reminds me of something, but other than that I don't really know the franchise.

As for difference in strength, well that first ep was very explicit.

I think I'll keep watching, I liked the Kuon/Haku exchanges

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-05-2015, 02:52 PM
This looks like a lot of fun, is there some sort of prequel to this?

I'm hooked already.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-05-2015, 02:57 PM
This looks like a lot of fun, is there some sort of prequel to this?

Yes. Utawarerumono was an SRPG adapted into an anime years ago. This is a related story in the same universe. I'm not sure where it is in the timeline though.

I'm looking forward to Haku commanding armies and owning the primitive opposing clans.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-05-2015, 03:07 PM
So.. when you say primitive, is there some kind of time travel/alternate universe involved seeing how he was clearly wearing hospital clothes which is clearly "out of place" given his surroundings?

Sounds cool, I'm in.

Cat(?)girl is cute too. <3 tail wagging.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-05-2015, 03:24 PM
Well, I guess it doesn't count as a spoiler since it was in the original series. The answer is yes.

DAT TAIL.

It was wagging slowly, puffing up in excitement, squeezing stuff. DAT TAIL.

Kraco
Mon, 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM
The tail was indeed awesome. I don't immediately recall a tail that expressive and well animated from other shows.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-05-2015, 04:19 PM
Yes. Utawarerumono was an SRPG adapted into an anime years ago. This is a related story in the same universe. I'm not sure where it is in the timeline though.
The hints we've gotten so far seem to indicate that Itsuwari no Kamen is that it is clearly a sequel. The events of Utawarerumono were pretty obviously referenced. Whether it is historical fact or legend is still up for debate. How far in terms of distance this new village is from the ones of the first series is also not clear at this point.

It's certainly not a direct sequel since it seems to stand on its own.

I'd lean more toward recent but physically distant than occurring long after the first series. I don't ever remember seeing snow in the first series.

Kraco
Sat, 10-10-2015, 03:26 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- - - - -

A jolly episode. This seems like a fine show so far. It does wonders to this otherwise unremarkable looking season to have a title you can really look forward to.

I am, however, slightly worried about the power levels. The swordsman seemed too strong. In the first place if he can cut rock with his swings, why can't he cut the insect itself? Maybe I should rewatch the first season because I don't remember stuff like that from it. But maybe it was there. Another strange thing was how Kuon fetched the curse monster so fast. Didn't it take Kuon and Haku a couple of days to get to the village, yet she now first climbed up the mountain, and then got back in very little time. But perhaps Haku's terrible stamina is enough to explain it.

Haku must be an engineer. A lucky bastard in any case to have Kuon as the first person he met. She's perfect for him.

Edit: I can't be the only person who immediately thought about professional football (soccer) players when the wounded dudes in the beginning where shown. They had a few scratches that weren't really even bleeding, yet they were lamenting as if they had multiple broken bones and ruptured internal organs.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-10-2015, 10:11 PM
In the first place if he can cut rock with his swings, why can't he cut the insect itself?

The swordsman explicitly said that the monster will dodge the move if he aimed for it.

Another strange thing was how Kuon fetched the curse monster so fast. Didn't it take Kuon and Haku a couple of days to get to the village, yet she now first climbed up the mountain, and then got back in very little time.

Ninja run. And they were closer.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-11-2015, 03:58 AM
This whole episode seemed like the "hunt the tiger" arc from the first anime, but not as good. The tiger was cooler than the bug. Actual strategy was involved. The chumps weren't completely useless.

I'm hoping it gets better as the scale increases, similar to the original show.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-11-2015, 06:49 AM
Ah-heee *hand wiggle*

didn't like that episode as much as the first... it was all over the place but I think it fits the situation somehow because Haku is still confused and all.

Dem math skills tho, could've handled the payment just fine but the rest? Wish they'd teach us math Indian style here in Europe. Would've to either write it down or it would take quite a while longer to answer.

Silly cat girl, couldn't even add the first half correctly, uneducated peasant - nonetheless, would still cuddle the shit out of her . Too cute!

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-11-2015, 08:07 AM
They probably don't even have the concept of numerals. They are probably still using words to write out values.

Ryllharu
Mon, 10-12-2015, 07:57 PM
So Kuon can add an additional anesthetic herb to her healing paste, but deliberately didn't for Haku because he's whiny?

There's also some real power in her tail. I'd start to wonder if she's more simian than feline.

All in all, I liked this episode. There wasn't some amazing strategy that Haku used, they really just repeated what they'd already done. But we also established that magic is no longer unique to the bird-races (silly as the presentation may be). Not much went on this episode, but I'm, liking the pace so far since this is a two-cour show.

You can definitely tell that the story is based on game.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 10-12-2015, 11:00 PM
The world is based on the game that was adapted into the first show.
I don't think there's a game for this. I think it is anime original?

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-13-2015, 03:00 AM
They were released at basically the same time. Same voice cast and everything.

https://youtu.be/zwMfWce8zSQ

I'm going to leave it as a link in case there are any spoilers in it (because I have no idea).

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 10-13-2015, 03:43 AM
Oh cool, didn't know that.

Hope this one manages to get translated, too. I really liked the first game. The tactics weren't super deep, but it made it more interesting than just a plain VN.

Kraco
Sat, 10-17-2015, 01:34 PM
Episode 3 - HS

- - - - --

I wish Haku had done something else than just grit his teeth when somebody spit him on the face. I get it he's a lazy engineer, and I have absolutely nothing against that, but when two cute girls are being threatened right in front of him, he ought to try something. In fact a man with his wits should have done something right when they noticed the hidden door was opening. Like go hide in the nearby woods to see who's coming out.

Apart from that, it was a rather enjoyable episode even if not a whole lot happened. At least Kuon granted him jolly good fanservice.

I kept believing Haku would later get a mask for some reason, like to serve in a political plot, but looks like the one with the mask was a totally different dude.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-17-2015, 11:54 PM
Horrible episode. It was a tropey mess, quite a letdown from the promising first episode.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-18-2015, 06:00 AM
It was a bit boring

neflight86
Sun, 10-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Just caught up from ep1. Good stuff. Maybe not super original, but it has been long enough since I watched an anime Odyssey I'm currently "in the mood" for one.

Kraco
Sun, 10-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Episode 4 - HS

- -- - - --

This sure is slow after the beginning. Perhaps things will gain some pace in the next ep again. All there really was in this episode were the curves. Not bad, but hardly serve as the main dish anymore for me in this day and age. The rapid proliferation of the girls is kind of worrisome now. I only want to see some plotting, action, different places (exploring/adventure), and Haku getting closer to Kuon. Although the occasional comedy is good as well. It would be good if the harem element didn't become so prominent.

Kraco
Sun, 11-01-2015, 04:34 AM
Episode 5 - HS

- - - - - --

So slooooooooooow. I really hope the random jobs are finished now. It's a pity they weren't more sensible work that he would have been better suited to, like fixing the water mill back then. That would have been more interesting to watch. At least I did enjoy listening to the princess's weird speech style in this episode. I used to think Haku and Kuon would make such a cute couple, but I'm not sure anymore. There's absolutely no spark between them, and their personalities are vastly different in every way. He would be wiser to choose another girl displaying more harmony.

Perhaps the next ep will rev up a little.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-01-2015, 06:34 AM
I do like that Kuon was just happily digging muck out of the drainage ditches, her attitude is delightful...then she spent all their money on (permanently?) securing a room at the inn with the best baths.

Though perhaps she is like Hikaru Genji, training Haku to become a man worthy of her!

The name of that inn, the way Nekone describes the owner, that braid shown, and the title of next episode. Can it be? Please let it be so!

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-01-2015, 08:48 AM
I like the Haku x Kuon pair precisely because there is no spark between them. I love slow developing romances if the story is NOT about romance.

I really love the character designs/general art style for this show.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-07-2015, 10:38 PM
The link (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=753932) is made.

Spoilers:

Karura and Touka in one episode. YES.

Kraco
Sun, 11-08-2015, 03:27 AM
Kuon being brought up by all those folks does explain her personality, even if it also left her with a bunch of contradictions she's trying to deal with. How many stories of Hakuoro did she hear, though, that they made her rename the amnesiac man she found "Haku"? It's like the greatest confession that she wanted her own Hakuoro who would change her destiny, just like it did for her many mothers. No wonder Karura was so amused.

But, man, I just kept hearing Caster every time Karura spoke.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-08-2015, 06:04 AM
A most excellent episode, though to some degree it would have been nice for Touka to not be a clumsy ditz the whole time. A lot of her charm is in the balance of her skill to her personality.

I definitely appreciate this franchise's laid back protagonists. Haku finds a well-endowed woman in the bath with him..."let's drink!" He's lazier for sure, but he has that same casual confidence that Hakuoro had, and while he's not completely unflappable, he's usually in pretty good control of the random situations he finds himself in. Maybe this is why Kuon sees a little bit of the stories about Hakuoro in Haku and named him such.

Drunk lil' Kuon was quite adorable. Eruru makes some fine brew.

Karura and Caster are both similar in personality, so it really is no surprise Atsuko Tanaka plays them so similarly. Both are free spirited, flippant, easily underestimated at first glance, and utterly confident except at rare moments of weakness. Caster has more of a strained edge to her, something you only really see during Karura's Na-Tunku arc in the original series. Casual Caster and baseline Karura are basically the same character though.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 08:51 AM
So, what happened to Hakuoro and Erurururu?

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-08-2015, 10:59 AM
I think the final scene hinted that he came back, so presumably king and queen of Tusukuru?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 12:25 PM
But why did Karura seem melancholic when she first saw Haku? And the odd way they refer to Hakuoro and Eruru seem to suggest they are gone/dead. Karura did mention that the Erubrew was special, as if it was rare and would eventually run out.

Kraco
Sun, 11-08-2015, 02:52 PM
But why did Karura seem melancholic when she first saw Haku? And the odd way they refer to Hakuoro and Eruru seem to suggest they are gone/dead. Karura did mention that the Erubrew was special, as if it was rare and would eventually run out.

I'd find it hard to believe Eruruu would be dead. Who knows about Hakuoro. I suppose it's possible they simply aren't interacting that much anymore. If Hakuoro's still there, you'd think he would like to meet this other plain human. They aren't exactly common anymore, with generally all people roaming around products of the genetic manipulation.

Kraco
Sat, 11-14-2015, 01:24 PM
Episode 7 - HS

- -- - --

I'm beginning to think this show has no bigger story at all. This is all slife of life. I haven't minded so far, but the truth is I don't remember half of the female cast anymore as they aren't related to anything important due to a lack of a story.

David75
Sat, 11-14-2015, 01:33 PM
That episode was worse in that it was mostly a BL infomercial/long advertising...

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-14-2015, 02:22 PM
This has 25 episodes, so I'm ok with the character development and world-building. The slow pace of romance between Haku and Kuon is also nice.

Kraco
Sat, 11-14-2015, 02:47 PM
This has 25 episodes, so I'm ok with the character development and world-building. The slow pace of romance between Haku and Kuon is also nice.

What romance? There ain't such a thing. Both deny it readily. Haku is more like an old man who has already seen everything he wants to see and would just like to lie down and drink booze till the end of his days. Who knows what Kuon is thinking.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-14-2015, 04:37 PM
Like I said, it's 25 episodes.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-14-2015, 11:21 PM
Who knows what Kuon is thinking.

Read the tail. It tells you everything.

Kraco
Sun, 11-15-2015, 03:15 AM
Read the tail. It tells you everything.

I'd imagine it tells what she's feeling, not thinking.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Didn't watch the latest episode yet, but it's probably not answered there anyway.

Why is no one curious about Haku not having animal ears btw?
Are Humans a "normal" thing in their world, because I haven't seen any.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-15-2015, 07:05 AM
I suspect they'd wonder more why he doesn't have a tail. On the other hand, the Onkamiyamukai (the winged people of the first season), had normal ears, and don't have tails to go with their wings. I think it is safe to say that there is enough variation on the subraces that things like that are easily ignored by the populace. A passing thought and little else. It was a bigger deal last season that Hakuoro's mask was permanently attached to his face, than the fact he lacked animal ears and a tail.

Kuon was more perplexed by how physically weak Haku is compared to most.

No, humans aren't normal, and if you haven't seen the first season, I won't spoil it for you. It is explained there.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-21-2015, 07:01 PM
Utawarerumono - Itsuwari no Kamen - 08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=758853)

Well...that escalated quickly.

------------

I do feel like I missed an episode, because I have no idea where Atui's little floating squid came from. But overall, she's the most fun character, mostly because of her great accent. She's a true moron, like the best combination of Karura and Touka rolled together.

Kraco
Sun, 11-22-2015, 03:29 AM
I do feel like I missed an episode, because I have no idea where Atui's little floating squid came from. But overall, she's the most fun character, mostly because of her great accent.

That certainly summed up my take on the episode as well. I love the way she speaks. Although on the other hand considering this show hasn't had a larger story at all, it's not (anymore) so surprising when they suddenly introduce stuff that had no earlier founding at all. The same could be said about how the episode ended. Stuff just happens but it might not matter at all in the next episode anymore.

Kraco
Sat, 11-28-2015, 01:28 PM
Episode 9 - HS

- - -- -- -

Haku is so useless. Although it's kind of funny how he readily accepts a job, acting all smart and mature, but then he tries his everything to actually avoid doing anything. Another thing is how he's always where stuff happens but tries to keep himself detached from it, as if it had nothing to do with him. At the end of the day he doesn't really contribute anything.

This still feels like nothing but a long series of extras for a main story because nothing really happens. We get visits by old characters, meaningless short plots, and fanservice - just like in a standard ova or BD extra.

David75
Sat, 11-28-2015, 01:48 PM
But we got to know Kuon expects Haku to know her better, to be able to understand her without words.
And we also got to know Haku already knows her a lot as he got full points on all the places Kuon was.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-28-2015, 02:42 PM
This is a good sign. It's classic build up for adventure/fantasy anime. First you flesh out the characters, then you tell the story.

I'd complain if we were past halfway, but we aren't there yet.

Kraco
Sat, 11-28-2015, 02:54 PM
Nah, this isn't especially good story telling. You need to really entrap the viewers from early on, even if you then put some pressure on the brakes and shift to deepen the character personalities. I still enjoy this because I have so fond memories of the old show and because fantasy adventure happens to be close to my heart (and because the animal characteristics folks of Utawarerumono are so adorable), but no matter how I look at it, this fails at the execution of the story big time. We are 9 episodes in already and there's absolutely nothing to look forward to, you know. Even Haku isn't a mystery per se because we already saw his kind in the first show. And because he himself doesn't personally give a single shit about his past or lost memories. He's only interested in taking it easy, drinking booze, and eating adequately. I'm not even sure he really thinks anything much of his super enviable position of being surrounded by pretty girls all the time. At least it's good he's not blushing or overreacting nonstop like a usual shounen hero would.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-28-2015, 02:59 PM
I'm not even sure he really thinks anything much of his super enviable position of being surrounded by pretty girls all the time. At least it's good he's not blushing or overreacting nonstop like a usual shounen hero would.

Isn't this a good thing?

Kraco
Sat, 11-28-2015, 03:01 PM
I guess it's only to keep this anime family friendly. I suppose in the original game he does more with some of the girls.

MFauli
Sun, 11-29-2015, 07:19 AM
From what Im reading here, itīs good i dropped this anime after the first ep.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-29-2015, 08:02 AM
He's only interested in taking it easy, drinking booze, and eating adequately. I'm not even sure he really thinks anything much of his super enviable position of being surrounded by pretty girls all the time. At least it's good he's not blushing or overreacting nonstop like a usual shounen hero would.

As someone who didn't watch the first show, I don't even know what this show is about.
They keep throwing in new characters and forget about them later on.
Why exactly is everyone in their "secret" base again? Weren't they all princesses or something?
What about the 2 humans Haku got to talk with.
The girls already lost interest in Haku so I don't know why they used several episodes to establish some kind of "Harem" or something like that.

Next EP is about girls giving a child tips to seduce someone, with Haku being in the middle of it....
Wasn't he supposed to lead armies or something from what you guys told me :(?
Nice "information gathering" from his side btw... ugh. He didn't even ask a single question and his opinion is based on how they interacted with a family member. Nice...because their behavior towards a family member is clearly related to their political goals as messengers.

Would be cool if they start working on Haku's past or something. Or at least make use of his modern education instead of making him a garbage collector/ useless peon or handyman.
I thought he'd become a merchant once he reaches the capital... or develop some "new" (at least for the people that live in this medieval environment) machines.

So far, this is nothing but Kawaii-bs so far... which I dig anyway. But it's a horrible show nonetheless and I'd never, ever recommend it to someone right now, it's not even *that* funny.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-29-2015, 08:18 AM
That's because it's a sequel. I think it's a requirement to watch the first one before this. Too many things are being referenced.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-29-2015, 08:47 AM
I doubt that has anything to do with it.
I can watch FSN or Zero without watching the other one.

It's a sequel alright
and not "season 2" or even in the middle of a season... was the original so bad that it didn't get a proper ending? And this show is the epilogue? I doubt it.

This show doesn't have a story so far and that can't work.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-29-2015, 09:08 AM
I meant about the characters and setting, not the direct plot line. Some of the recent characters that showed up were from the first show, and I think there will be some sort of conflict between Tuskuru and Yamato later on. If you haven't seen the first one, you won't appreciate or won't understand a lot of this.

FSN is the original story. F/Z is a prequel. Of course you don't need to watch one before watching the other.

I think a lot of the dissatisfaction for this show is coming from expectations, which I completely understand. The first story was more focused on war and had lots of developments while introducing new characters. This one is focusing more on slice of life while adding to the harem and reintroducing the old ones. I prefer the former, but I wouldn't go so far as to calling this horrible.

I tempered my expectations on the action and suspense early on after realizing the approach the story is taking. That said, I'm still keeping my hopes up that things will get serious around the halfway mark after all the pieces are assembled.

MFauli
Sun, 11-29-2015, 10:02 AM
shinta, I think itīs time to take a step back and think about it again.

The problem is that youīre too forgiving for this "kind" of show. But the context is different to the time when the original Utawarerumono was being aired. We now experience an anime industry where shitty moe, loli stuff and harem nonsense are the norm. If you happen to like those, that is okay. However, you have to realize that when a sequel to an anime about war, about fighting, about serious stuff, is turned into yet another of those moe-loli-harem shows ... itīs gotta disappoint, maybe even anger some people. Or even many people.

Itīs easy to ignore fully expected moe anime, because we take a single look at the announcement poster image and we get it: "Oh, itīs one of those anime, thanks but no thanks". With anime like Utawarerumono, you donīt think about it, just remember the awesome fights and tactics from Hakuoru 10-15 years ago and you expect more of that. Not those peopleīs fault, really.

Again, itīs okay to like what you got - but thereīs a point where an anime doesnīt deserve defense anymore.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-29-2015, 10:59 AM
The thing is, people are exaggerating with their comments. The show isn't terrible. It has its good points.

I'm not faulting people for being disappointed either. I'm just saying it'll bring them less stress if they adjust their expectations. That, and to wait a little more before passing judgment like I am. The show isn't even halfway done.

You have to remember this is anime. Western television series generally work with contained episodes that try to entertain with each one. On the other hand, this show seems to be using a ton of setup episodes to prepare for a grand development later on. I could be wrong, but I'll give it a chance.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-29-2015, 12:05 PM
The thing is, people are exaggerating with their comments. The show isn't terrible. It has its good points.

Not really... at least nothing that would carry it out of the "terrible" rating.

Ya, the cat-girls are cute, it has it's cute moments, but there are 50 shows every year (or season, lol) that have that too and somtimes do it better.
MC isn't anything to write home about, yes - he's a grown up man - but also extremely boring to watch and I'm not talking about his looks here.
And the plot so far is very inconsistent and rarely there in the first place.
It feels like one of these "monster of the week" shows, just without monsters most of the time. Everytime you think something interesting happened that will lead to something in the future, the next episode reveals that it was "just another event" without consequences.

I hope that will change soon.. or at least at some point during the show. If it's all a huge buildup to something - okay, I'll be able to enjoy that if it turns out to be a good one.
Doesn't change the fact that it's extremely boring right now with Haku being completely out of place and useless (and he has no intention to change that, in fact he wants to become even more useless). They could at least combine his laziness with a capable mind - actually using it to *avoid* work.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-29-2015, 01:35 PM
Your definition of terrible is pretty encompassing, not that there's anything wrong with that. By your standards, more than half of the anime out there are terrible.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-29-2015, 02:13 PM
Ya, well yes.
It so happens that right now (and I'm just going to write it one more time because why not: it might change) Utawarerumono is terrible among the terrible shows.

I don't see this show's selling points, it's probably not moe enough for weirdos, not enough action for the younger audience, the mystery is a joke so far, because the show doesn't capitalize on it, the MC is boring to watch and the interactions between him, the general and kuon is getting old and there isn't a whole lot of fanservice aside from frequent bathing scenes, which are pretty harmless though.
Comedy wise, this is in the lower levels too.

the first 3 episodes started rather well, but the show stopped after they reached the capital... maybe it got 1 episode worth of development, but thats still 50% of wasted screentime.

Maybe I got hyped, I don't know, I expected something but got a show that I consider as bad as the "Tale of da Woarst One-u" title that is currently airing - and that's a really awfull series.

Yet Utawarerumono has at least a chance to get better, because it doesn't know what it wants to be yet.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-29-2015, 02:48 PM
The world building in this show is better than most. You gotta give it that.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-29-2015, 03:11 PM
What makes you say that.

For me, someone who didn't watch the first show in that universe, no. Or at least it's lacking and wasting alot of potential when you consider that this started as an adventure where you explored, together with Haku, how people lived in that time and age.
But I don't consider us far enough in the story to even make use of proper world building because it's been pretty stale for the fast few episodes.

Continents, civilizations, nations, cities, and towns. Backgrounds to all of these arn't there yet.
I know Kuon is from somewhere else, and her country has concerns as to why the country where this story is taking place has gotten so much power - but that's pretty much it. Then again, I don't know where half of the characters are comming from.

The one with the bird is a princess, the lass is a princess too (favorite character btw). But I can't even remember why they excist in the story so far. What faction do they belong too? Are they ambassadors? I thought they were, but they didn't do anything so far and it doesn't look like they are much a big deal to the common folk in town.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-29-2015, 05:35 PM
You're right. I mixed in some of the first series when I was thinking about it.

Ryllharu
Sun, 11-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Well...if it is any consolation, I think viewers of the first series finally learned that Tusukuru is on an island (likely quite a big one). We knew it was far away from the setting of this series, but that is new information.

Kraco
Sat, 12-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Episode 10 - HS

- -- -- - -

Haku needs to work long hours for a lazy man. Although I feel like he does deserve some of the hardships he encounters, but I also think Kuon is treating him too harshly. In the first place he should have no need to live in that ridiculous five star inn worthy of real princesses. He would be happy in any tolerable place. It's actually kind of hard to understand why he's sticking to the present company. He already knows enough to survive on his own, I reckon (since his survival is basically any place with a roof, booze, and edible food). All those girls and especially the random encounters only bring him extra hassle that put him through literal shit...

Kraco
Sat, 12-12-2015, 01:50 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- - - - - -

Probably the silliest episoed of this second season so far. It was a jolly good detail the girls just kept eating the ramen (after dragging the whole cart with them all the way to the distant fortress), and finally many of the soldiers joining them as well. The food certainly must have been better than the performance. Although Haku's fight was surprisingly fluent. Who knew he could use the fan like that. I thought he was just an engineer.

Other than that, this was otherwise quite a decent lesson episode for the princess, even if that in itself is hardly anything innovative. Haku gaining the task of supervising the idiot siblings isn't a job that would make him overly happy, I'd bet.

Kraco
Sat, 12-19-2015, 06:32 PM
Episode 12 - HS

-- --- -- -

Those were pretty naughty priestesses. But then again, they can naturally afford to be considering Haku is so lazy, jovial, and amenable, so the chances are slim those girls would actually need to do anything much. Although maybe they did in the original game (Edit: Now that I checked it, the game apparently has no sexual content to begin with, so even originally they wouldn't have needed to do anything.)

Post credits scene suggests something might actually happen starting from the next episode. Not that I wouldn't have enjoyed this one as well. Just like the previous ep, this was quite silly. I bet the Emperor felt granting the girls to Haku was worth it just to see his long-suffering reaction. I do hope he would order them around a little, as well as the idiot bandits that are now under his command. Haku is otherwise very much like a doormat all the other characters keep walking over, continuously pushing him around.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-20-2015, 03:11 AM
The real question is: which do you prefer? I like the tan one.

I feel that this sequel's been done better than the original. It's due partly for a few reasons:

-nostalgia and recurring characters
-Kuon's tail
-Haku's more believable levels of charisma
-Focus on well-done comedy instead of weird RPG combat that didn't translate well
-Less need to know who the hell Haku is in relation to the story.

The mystery is still there for you to ponder if you really want to think about it, but Itsuwari no Kamen lets you enjoy everything else a lot more if you don't give a shit. On the other hand, the first series really rode on it - Karura and Aruru aside.

edit: In retrospect, I should give more credit to the original because it laid the groundwork for this. I found UBW to be more enjoyable in a similar manner because thanks to Fate, it wasn't required to explain the world again.

Also, Atui's voice wins so much.

Kraco
Sun, 12-20-2015, 05:25 AM
The real question is: which do you prefer? I like the tan one.

I believe they only come in pairs. It's both or neither. The tan one uses brighter, the paler darker clothes. They are going for that opposing colours theme, which is quite pleasant.

My problem with this season, compared to the first, is that so little happens in this in the bigger picture. If I had expected this to be a slife-of-life show, I wouldn't have minded as I have still enjoyed this a lot, but I thought this was going to have a solid and heavy story and the other stuff was just on top of it to build the cast and develop the characters.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-20-2015, 05:49 AM
I believe they only come in pairs. It's both or neither. The tan one uses brighter, the paler darker clothes. They are going for that opposing colours theme, which is quite pleasant.

That is true, but it's in favour of Saraara (tan-chan), because light hair and skirt is consistent between both of them (as well as gold jewellery). Pair is nice of course. I wouldn't turn that down. I re-watched the end of episode 8 where Haku met the Emperor for the first time and these two were the hooded escorts. I guess even they can be scary.

Ryllharu
Sun, 12-20-2015, 06:10 PM
You're both ignoring the obvious alternative.

Munechika with her ninja mask on is insanely hot.

The problem is that I'm simply not sure where this series can go in terms of moving away from the slice of life stuff. Haku's harem has far fewer mainline combat characters than Hakuoro's (the nation of Tsukuru for those who haven't seen the first series). It's Atui (for some reason her spear skills are super strong), Nosuri and Ouji the ninja bandit siblings, Kiuru the archer, the new priestess twins, and *sorta* Haku and Kuon.

Nekone and Rurutie are both better diplomats I suppose, but overall most, if any, combat skill in this series is concentrated in the 8 Yamato Generals. Haku is on familiar terms with 3 of them, but he's also technically a vassal of Oshutoru.

I was kind of hoping Ukon/Oshutoru would start a fight at the inn with whatshisname. Karura would bring on the pain if they tried to trash her inn.

Kraco
Sun, 12-20-2015, 06:44 PM
I wouldn't mind even if he didn't need to face grand battles. It could be diplomacy, political work, constructing a new colosseum, or whatever big problem that's in need of solving that would span multiple episodes and require him to put his wits and the harem to good use. I'm tired of watching him shovel shit and then afterwards sit on the sidelines when the multiple girls do whatever they want without Haku having any say whatsoever in the proceedings. They all take him for granted and treat him like some harmless domesticated animal. The only ones he gets some respect from are a few men in the upper echelons and some isolated encounters. That's why it was so nice to watch the old female cast fret when the pristess twins were treating Haku like a highborn. Even if he himself didn't really find much enjoyment in the extra bother of owning them. But in fact that's just another sad sign suggesting he has been totally disillusioned by the women he has become more familiar with.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-20-2015, 07:24 PM
Haku is clearly gay. No man could face that much waki without giving into lust.

I hope all the generals die in the next episode, thrusting Yamato into a terrible situation where even Tuskuru is a major threat.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 12-20-2015, 09:25 PM
Munechika with her ninja mask on is insanely hot.

She's hot regardless, but really isn't a choice unless you can draw BL manga. And her existence alone would not let me share shinta's opinion. She shouldn't die next episode. I haven't even gotten to see more of the other generals - especially the scary Fist-Of-North-Star one.

@Kraco: the funny thing is that Haku was supposed to find brainy jobs in the capital, but most of his work has been anything but. I'm sure he could find work if he was motivated enough, but since he's not he's currently shovelling shit. With that perspective, I can't feel as much sympathy.

The high-class inn expense is Kuon's fault though, that much is true

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-21-2015, 01:44 AM
He'd be rich if he became an accountant. They live in a world without decimals, after all.

Ryllharu
Mon, 12-21-2015, 06:10 AM
The high-class inn expense is Kuon's fault though, that much is true

Do you really think they're still paying full price, considering the owners? There's at least 10 people in the suite now. They almost certainly get a discount on food because Kuon eats so much.

Kuon's problem with her aunties and "older sisters" is mostly that they spoil her rotten.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-21-2015, 07:29 AM
So.. where does all that money go? Or is Kuon secretly the master accountant?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-21-2015, 08:23 AM
Haku has a secret stash for his future.

lelouch
Thu, 12-24-2015, 11:05 PM
I stopped watching this, as well as asterisk. Are either of them worth still watching?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 12-25-2015, 01:18 AM
I watched both and I'd say they're both worth watching. It depends on why you stopped.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-02-2016, 10:11 PM
13 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=771245)

War! And the OP shows Haku in beast mode! Finally the story moves. Now for the deaths!

Kraco
Sun, 01-03-2016, 03:49 AM
It's always a smart move to choose one idiot among the empire's highest officials just because it makes things more funny. I suppose that would be a real issue if the emperor is living hundreds of years. Getting deadly bored would be a big deal. That's precisely why Haku is also getting such special treatment. Looks like he gained the priestesses also just for that: The emperor can summon him whenever he wants to. If Haku appreciated those supple beauties more, it would be a small price to pay, naturally.

In any case, I very much welcome this conflict.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-03-2016, 06:29 AM
One thing that's nice is Atui and Rurutie are both forced to go out of obligation, meaning from our standpoint as viewers, Haku and the rest of them can't sit this one out like they've done in the past. Even the lazy Haku wouldn't abandon the poor girls caught up in this mess.

While Atui apparently is more than capable of taking care of herself, I don't know how Rurutie's fujoshi skills will help her against animal-ear mujahedeen. Maybe luring the new girl on the enemy side over to Haku's harem?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-03-2016, 07:41 AM
While Atui apparently is more than capable of taking care of herself, I don't know how Rurutie's fujoshi skills will help her against animal-ear mujahedeen. Maybe luring the new girl on the enemy side over to Haku's harem?

lolol. "Come to Yamato. We have BL doujins". I didn't think of that one.

It seems strange for the dad to send Rurutie. No sensible parent would do that in a war unless they're combat-able.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-03-2016, 08:18 AM
I assume he sent her only as a symbol due to the "reasons" he couldn't leave their province. I doubt there was much expectation that either of them will be doing the fighting or commanding, and their respective troops will simply be lead by one of the other 8 generals who are going.

Atui at least is a fighter in her own right, but strangely, Rurutie was far less nervous than Nekone and Kiuru. Atui looked resigned but clearly uncomfortable. Rurutie was impassive yet serious. It could just be shock, but perhaps there is something we don't know about her?

Kraco
Sun, 01-03-2016, 08:38 AM
They won't ever be combat-able if they don't see combat. I guess they finally need to do something do justify their comfortable lifestyle.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 01-03-2016, 09:57 AM
Maybe she's secretly a tactician?

Oh, and that floating squid thing that was with Atui was only around for one episode.. it left as quickly as it came. I have no idea what that was even about.

Kraco
Sat, 01-09-2016, 05:11 PM
Episode 14 - HS

- - - - -- -

I suppose I don't regularly approve of MC dudes acting in a cowardly manner, but somehow watching Haku in this episode was so funny I couldn't get displeased. It's a strange contrast between the first series where everybody expected things from Hakuoro and he delivered even more, and this second series where for some unfathomable reason people keep relying on this dude who only wants to laze around doing as little as possible. Avoiding danger and trouble is the highest of his priorities, naturally. But then again, he still keeps digging the shit after all this time, so perhaps everybody around him has realised a long time ago that he can be made to do anything, like a decent tool, even if he tries to protest at first. Such a sad fate, really. This way he mostly gets the shit and no reward, unlike someone who has ambition and raises himself to top positions with his work.

The twin priestesses are really handy. Haku was lucky to get them. No wonder the court was so outraged.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 01-10-2016, 12:06 AM
Twins FTW.

So, did Haku just acquire a legendary swordsman?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-14-2016, 04:42 AM
Twins FTW.

So, did Haku just acquire a legendary swordsman?

I must have looked in the wrong place. I thought he acquired a loli.

Entertainment-wise Atui was the bomb, but Kuon was a pretty big surprise. Her martial arts prowess can be expected given her upbringing, but it's still the first time she's done anything beyond tail-strangling.

Ryllharu
Thu, 01-14-2016, 03:19 PM
it's still the first time she's done anything beyond tail-strangling.

She hasn't had to. Kuon is crazy strong (including her tail), even by animal people standards, but we also know she isn't Karura's biological daughter.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-14-2016, 03:54 PM
Maybe she can turn into a god-monster like her father.

Kraco
Sun, 01-31-2016, 04:24 PM
Episode 17 - HS

- - -- - - - -

The emperor is quite a detestable man. Of course it also makes sense considering he's some kind of an ancient technocrat, but still there's something exceedingly wrong about a dude who can't appreciate all the wonderful animal ears girls around him and only considers them transient placeholders until he manages to resurrect the other scumbags from the time much better long gone. All of this explains more than sufficiently why he doesn't give a shit about these folks dying by the thousands just to set an example. Or why he so easily gave the too cute to be real twin sisters as a gift to Haku. They are mere propery for him, albeit I reckon he finds them interesting as a game.

Ryllharu
Sun, 01-31-2016, 04:39 PM
I get that he thinks of Anju and Honoka as pale reflections of his wife and daughter, but I really wonder how this next bit will play out. The Emperor doesn't seem to realize that Haku doesn't give a shit about whether or not they have animal ears, even with his returning memories. The people are the people to him.

What I'm not sure about is how "the family" will take the imminent hostilities toward Tuskuru. The Emperor wants Hakuoro's hibernating body to end the curse against humanity. Kuon will obviously side with Tuskuru, Nosuri (and Ougi) will agree with Kuon most likely due to her strong sense of JUSTICE, but Atui, Rurutie, and Nekone have allegiance to Yamato. Haku is almost certainly going to vie for peace. I'd hate to see the three Yamato girls forced to choose between family and friends.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-02-2016, 08:06 AM
I don't know. Nosuri and Ougi (the 'bandit' sister and brother?) are pretty pro-Emperor for now. At least initially they're going to comply with the Emperor's wishes to invade.

The bit about "they're not human" is actually weird. I personally think it's due to circumstance than genetics. The emperor had been around so long and been such a leader that he was a god towards them. It's more a case of "I became so good that I have no friends". No one seems Haku as some walking god (lol). He's been able to form relationships because of mutual reliance.

The Emperor didn't need to be a god, but he played the role for so long that his only option is to revive others.

I'm going to assume that the True Human project was a success and that the Emperor applied it to himself (while somehow leaving Haku trapped somewhere). That's the only way 200 year lifespans make sense. I previously assumed Haku was the only one who got the enhancement, which resulted in his sleeping state till now.

Kraco
Tue, 02-02-2016, 08:32 AM
Few of the core people seem like the type to joyously go and fight a pure war of invasion. Some of the powerhouses for sure, but hard to see anyone from Haku's personal harem. Of course they might do it if absolutely commanded, but not with giving it their all. Though after this episode I wouldn't anymore consider it below the emperor the fabricate a reason for it, to make it look all justified.

Ryllharu
Tue, 02-02-2016, 03:54 PM
No one seems Haku as some walking god (lol). He's been able to form relationships because of mutual reliance.You sure misspelled, "digging shit out of ditches and being bullied into doing other crappy jobs no one else wanted, and inadvertently flirting with girls (and a few guys too),"

"mutual reliance" and what you meant to spell aren't even on the same row.

Kraco
Tue, 02-02-2016, 05:12 PM
The twin girls are pretty much the only people who view Haku as something extra special, probably because they know he is, in that world, even if they can't know more than a little of the truth, I reckon.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-03-2016, 10:53 AM
You sure misspelled, "digging shit out of ditches and being bullied into doing other crappy jobs no one else wanted, and inadvertently flirting with girls (and a few guys too),"

"mutual reliance" and what you meant to spell aren't even on the same row.

Nah, the girls get him out of shit when he's actually deep in it. When he's not that deep, they leave him in there. That's about right. Haku doesn't actually do much otherwise, mind you.

Kraco
Wed, 02-03-2016, 11:06 AM
Nah, the girls get him out of shit when he's actually deep in it.

When, exactly? Aside from the twins. From what I've seen, the girls only serve their own purposes, sometimes dragging Haku in. It doesn't anymore matter if they then help him because it was their matter to begin with. Or a matter shared by Haku and someone else, so it's normal to help him.

But then again, why not. He's paying his own bills with work, even if that work is far below him considering he could fix that mill in a jiffy, for example, when the rest of the village apparently would have waited for craftsmen from the city or something. So, he could have done more decent work if he had had an ounce of ambition.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Wasn't he a researcher too? Maybe he could've created a subspecies of his own if he wanted. But he's lazy.

KrayZ33
Wed, 02-03-2016, 04:16 PM
I thought so first too, but when he kept saying "they are so arrogant", "they are up to some really dicey stuff" during the flashback I started thinking he is a hacker/computer-nerd (whatever) that hacked into some file called "iceman project" and his "laziness" and extremely poor condition might actually come from him sitting infront of the PC all day long. Just look at how he trashed all that food there without taking it out, it's... it's like he's ME!
Him actually volunteering to be a test subject ("my life isn't worth much") instead of helping his brother do some real research, might hint at that too.

Btw, why is he checking out his brother's wife like that, not that I mind, because she's *super* hot, but it's weird.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-03-2016, 04:43 PM
It's not weird. It's normal.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-04-2016, 10:44 AM
When, exactly? Aside from the twins. From what I've seen, the girls only serve their own purposes, sometimes dragging Haku in.

Like whenever he was actually physically in trouble, though much of that was early on.

At first I thought Honoka was sister-by-blood. Oh well.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:04 AM
You like incest?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:15 AM
Not particularly. It'd just mean that their super friendly relationship would be justified, whereas a by-marriage relationship would seem really weird if it wasn't actually romantic.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-04-2016, 11:42 AM
They were banging on the side. That's what'll piss the emperor off later.

Kraco
Sat, 02-06-2016, 03:47 PM
Episode 18 - HS

- - -- - --

For the first time I felt like I disliked Haku. He was always a lazy whiner, but I thought amongst all that he still had some principles. But now he accepted a mission to participate in a war of invasion even though he was so much against taking part in a defensive war earlier. Not to mention it's not just some random country but poor Kuon's home country. It's surprising Oshutoru even had the audacity to ask for it.

It's equally surprising Kuon didn't leave for home right away. Karura as well.

Ryllharu
Sun, 02-07-2016, 07:33 AM
I think Haku has an ulterior motive in mind, participating in this fight. I'm just not exactly sure what his lazy plan is, and I'm not sure he does either. That's why he was so desperately searching for Kuon, he needs her to come too to pull it off. He knows exactly how much it would torture her in taking Yamato's side. He's going to intervene, that's why he was whining so much about his suffering and having to work.

If he was going to do something stupid, or something that would cause Kuon to suffer, there's no question that Karura would have killed him that night. Instead she just threw him through the barn's roof.
(It might have been Kuon, she's real strong too, but I definitely think it was Karura)

Kraco
Sun, 02-07-2016, 08:21 AM
I sure hope so. Furthermore, I hope it really is his plan from the beginning and not just something he's hoping will happen but will leave for the plot to sort out conveniently. I simply feel it's kind of dodgy this was because he accepted a mission to deliver supplies to the invading forces. It would have been a lot cleaner if he had simply hit the road with Kuon (and anybody following) to do something about it on his own. Now if he fails the supply mission, he also fails his promise to Oshutoru. If he hadn't accepted it, he would be merely doing whatever he wanted. It's not like he would be a Yamato subject either and thus owing any allegiance to the emperor. In fact he's not a citizen of any current nation.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-07-2016, 10:16 AM
Being the next god, he is actually in the best position to negotiate peace. I'm surprised his bro is even allowing him to go to war.

Kraco
Sun, 02-07-2016, 11:07 AM
His bro is probably surprised that Haku is bothering to do anything at all, so he's not trying to stop that historical show of activity. I'm more surprised the emperor apparently didn't tell his generals that they shouldn't hurt Haku. Without the twins, Vurai would have already killed Haku, on purpose no less. Actually I wonder what the twins would do if Haku clearly opposed the emperor's will.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-07-2016, 12:47 PM
-I don't think the Emperor knows Haku is going to war, unless the twins actively reported that to him. Oshitoru sent Haku on his own accord IMO.

-Haku is going to resupply because without doing so would kill Kiuru and Munechika. If he could save them without participating in the war he would, but right now this is the best course of action he can take. Peace talks with Tsukuru can come after he saves his friends.

-What's the deal with the fat general? He's given that spot out of courtesy, but all the other generals have transforming masks. You can't honestly expect someone of his character to carry a mask, or sit silently while all the other generals hold superior items.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-07-2016, 01:01 PM
And Haku doesn't give a shit about Tuskuru outside of it being Kuon's homeland, right? It'd be strange for him to take the other side in this case. I think brokering peace is a good idea though. He's one of the few ones left who seem to value it.

Kraco
Sun, 02-07-2016, 01:12 PM
The problem with saving Munechika is that once she's saved, she will again push deeper to attack Tuskuru all the more, killing more and more of Kuon's countrymen who are only trying to defend their homes. It's not like she would turn back and retreat after having learned her lesson. Saving Munechika equals to attacking Tuskuru.

If he doesn't give a shit about Tuskuru, then it's all fine and swell, but I hope in that case the series ends with Kuon slitting Haku's throat and being done with it. She saved his life, so it's hers to end as well.

Kraco
Sat, 02-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Episode 19 - HS

- - - - - - -

I can't help but continue to be annoyed by Haku's decision to participate in this totally unnecessary and stupid war. He doesn't even fricking know why they are fighting. Tuskuru is quite merciful to spare that one cart in order to spare the MCs.

I hope the attack fails so that Dekoponpo will lose his head. Although his efforts to ruin Yamato's war efforts are in fact very welcome, he's still a waste of lard.

At least I could enjoy Atui and her doting old man's meeting.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-13-2016, 03:06 PM
This situation makes no sense. Most of the 8 generals are imba, even compared to Tuskuru's forces. Why do they even need soldiers? Just send in a general, use a mask, and wreak havoc. I don't remember anyone in the Tuskuru forces outside of Hakuoro's mask form able to match these guys, who chop mountains from afar and create giant movable barriers (and that's their normal form).

Haku doesn't make sense, but Kuon makes even less. If she feels she wants to stop the war, then she should tell that to the people going with her, including Haku. Maybe then he'll use his immense political influence as the successor to God to stop the war.

Oh, right, I forgot to mention, this makes no sense.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 02-16-2016, 11:40 PM
Lelouch himself should have been able to win again Tuskuru with just soldier placement. I agree that this makes no sense.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2016, 01:51 PM
Ep 20

So apparently everything does make sense. Tusukuru is using magix to stop the mask powers, and apparently, the masks only give one kind of power to each general. Munechika had that barrier thing, while Vurai had the God form. In that case, wouldn't Vurai's God form be ineffective in the land of Tusukuru?

And did the emperor really die? I'm guessing this is just the guy's scheme, but I'd find it really interesting if the two Tuskurian spies in Yamato killed him. Will Haku avenge his brother in that case?

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-20-2016, 02:42 PM
Tsukuru spies? Am I forgetting some 30 second scene, or are you attempting to refer to Karura and Touka?

Those two created an inn in Yamato, because they wanted to wander, same as Kuon. Karura spends all day and night drinking, and Touka acts as one of the maids.With Hakuoro...whatever he is doing (slumbering?), they had no reason to stay in Tsukuru. That's not spying, that's fleeing with the intent to stay distracted and not be tortured by memories of "home."

Munechika is no slouch, but I feel like she was hindered by her own weapon. Her meteor clawhammer is meant for diving in and scattering things. When her powers aren't working, it just ends up an unwieldy thing that telegraphs her attacks.

I think there is a clear difference between Yamato and Tsukuru. 'm honestly surprised that they only lost between 10 and 30% of their forces. Tsukuru has always had to actually fight, and having conquered their lands, they have exclusive use of the bird people using magic. Yamato has had the emperor and the false masks doing all the work this whole time. They might be the most powerful on their continent, but based on how badly this invasion went, that doesn't mean much.

Best scenes this episode were anything Atui and Haku still not realizing that Kuon is obviously their princess, even though she's basically told him. The intensely murderous looks on their faces should have given him pause.

Kraco
Sat, 02-20-2016, 02:50 PM
They seemed to believe the Tuskuru magic can't inhibit Vurai's power. Who knows.

I would imagine the twins would know instantly if the emperor died. This must be some weird plot, whose purpose is right now lost on me. Unless it's meant to give Haku a shock big enough that he would rise to the occasion and assume command. Not that the Yamato elite would easily accept him even if that was the emperor's supposedly last order.

As much as I'm against this war, or rather Haku and Kuon participating in it, this was quite an interesting episode and people showed very intriguing attitudes.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2016, 02:52 PM
Tsukuru spies? Am I forgetting some 30 second scene, or are you attempting to refer to Karura and Touka?

Those two created an inn in Yamato, because they wanted to wander, same as Kuon. Karura spends all day and night drinking, and Touka acts as one of the maids.With Hakuoro...whatever he is doing (slumbering?), they had no reason to stay in Tsukuru. That's not spying, that's fleeing with the intent to stay distracted and not be tortured by memories of "home."

Didn't Karura and Touka mention something about studying Yamato for Tusukuru's sake back when they showed up?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-20-2016, 09:35 PM
Didn't Karura and Touka mention something about studying Yamato for Tusukuru's sake back when they showed up?

I agree that one of their purposes was to assess Yamato's strength. That ultimately brought up the line "but we have something they don't" - and so they built a bath house.

And so Kuon really is Karura's biological daughter.. Wow.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2016, 10:26 PM
Wait, what???

I must have missed that. When was that confirmed? I always thought Kuon was the missing elder sister's daughter with HKRO.

About the spies, it would be weird for Tuskuru to have anti-mask magix ready otherwise.

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-20-2016, 10:35 PM
No, Tsukuru has anti-mask magic because all the Onkamiyamukai are descendants of Mutsumi, who sealed Witsarunemitea away in the first place.

The masks are copies of that power, and Urutori is the head-priestess, training her subordinates well after what happened in the last series, presumably in case Witsarunemitea wakes up again.

They didn't need Karura and Touka to do any spying. Kuon said counter-casting is combat basics for Tsukuru.

edit:
@Buff: It's always been pretty obvious who Kuon's mother is. It's not Karura. Match tails and ears and you can figure it out.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2016, 10:51 PM
I don't even know who Mutsumi and Witwhatever are at this point. Care to elaborate?

Ryllharu
Sat, 02-20-2016, 11:00 PM
Mutsumi was the black-winged experiment hybrid made when the scientists were screwing around with Iceman/Witsarunemitea DNA. She's the origin of all the winged people, and was reincarnated within Kamyu.

Witsarunemitea is the monster god that Hakuoro was half of, the Iceman part. The monster part is the true form of the god Witsarunemitea, and was sealed/split by Mutsumi after he rampaged the first time and turned all the humans to goop.

Yamato was founded by stealing the science results and then replicating them ('decoys', fake masks, etc.). Tsukuru is about where the original lab was, and all its animal people descend from those experiments cloned from Iceman's DNA. They made several thousand, who scattered all over the regions seen in the first series (Tsukuru, Na-Tunku, Kunnekamun, with the Onkamiyamukai overseeing them all as diplomats).

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-20-2016, 11:03 PM
Oh cool. Now I get it. So Yamato's are the copies, and Tuskuru's are the originals. Then it makes sense for them to get owned.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-21-2016, 12:19 AM
edit:
@Buff: It's always been pretty obvious who Kuon's mother is. It's not Karura. Match tails and ears and you can figure it out.

Hah. I suspected that at one point because their ears and hair colour matched, but I never remembered anyone else with non-bushy tails.

Also, the anime cheated out on a key aspect.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Whoa, it was the paralytic!

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-21-2016, 01:12 AM
Whoa, it was the paralytic!

I think you meant paraplegic, which she wasn't.

She was blind.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-21-2016, 01:23 AM
Whatever, she couldn't move around.

Kraco
Sun, 02-21-2016, 04:09 AM
That was an interesting revelation, but unfortunately I remember too little from the original series to really put the information to any use. I didn't even remember the whole character before I checked the old series' AniDB page.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-27-2016, 11:08 PM
HS - Episode 21

----------------------------------------------------

This sounds like the work of Karura's group. It's a little low, but anything for Tsukuru right?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 02-27-2016, 11:42 PM
Or one of the generals betrayed Yamato.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-28-2016, 01:20 AM
The fat one can't do anything. The primary suspect would be the Lelouch fellow, but that's mainly because he seems evil.

Ryllharu
Sun, 02-28-2016, 06:12 AM
Or one of the generals betrayed Yamato.
I think it is pretty obviously one of the other generals.

Charismatic, autocratic dictator dies? Everyone wants to be his successor. Anju is too weak, especially without Munechicka backing her.

What better way than to frame one of your rivals, known for his loyalty to the imperial family?

The only question is which one it is. It's not Dekoponpo or either of Atui's or Rurutie's fathers.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-28-2016, 10:00 AM
It makes no sense how Oshtoru got blamed though. Maids were carrying the tea, so they should also be in suspicion. And who the hell poisons someone with a drink they made themselves, and while they are sitting in front of the target? Now we have a unanimous decision by the generals to execute him. This makes utterly no sense.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-28-2016, 10:03 AM
It's also not Vurai. General of the Left is low on the list, but he's possible.

Going with conspiracy theories, this could actually all be the Emperor's plan to do... whatever it is he's trying to do. The magic he commands makes him the most powerful person in Yamato, so his death in itself is suspicious anyway. He treats Anju as a mere replacement for his daughter so killing her isn't beyond him. Harming Anju to further his goals gives Haku a very good reason to side with Tsukuru, from a plot-device point of view.

Kraco
Sun, 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM
It makes no sense how Oshtoru got blamed though. Maids were carrying the tea, so they should also be in suspicion. And who the hell poisons someone with a drink they made themselves, and while they are sitting in front of the target? Now we have a unanimous decision by the generals to execute him. This makes utterly no sense.

Yeah, that plot was beyond stupid. While it's true what they said, that it could technically be Oshutoru planning to make them think it's not he by making it look like framing, why would he still take the risk for no gain? If he wanted to poison the princess, he could have done it without becoming the prime suspect. Then he would have been the last person to be suspected due to being so close to her in friendly terms.

Looks like keeping the idiot Dekoponpo around has rotted the other generals' brains. Unless all of them are in the plot, minus the irrelevant Dekoponpo.

This second season was truly vastly inferior to the first.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM
You know what's worse? Oshtoru giving away his mask. Getting tortured in the dungeon is not a good way of proving your innocence.

And did Vurai just make Oshtoru suck him off in that scene?

@Buff - Why do you think it's not Vurai? Maybe he plotted everything and gloated in the jail cell.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-28-2016, 11:49 AM
It's not Vurai because that person has accepted Oshtoru as his equal, and to serve the emperor. His loyalty is second to only Oshtoru's in my opinion.

He's not the framing/poisoning type.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-28-2016, 12:00 PM
Maybe he tested Oshtoru's ability by framing him.

Loyalty is not a good basis for trust here. Most traitors were once the most loyal vassals.

Kraco
Sun, 02-28-2016, 12:56 PM
Vurai looks like a through and through warrior and martial artist who doesn't give a shit about stupid plots, power struggles, and such. He knows he's the strongest, with only Oshutoru possibly rivaling him, and he cares for nothing but battles, worthy opponents, and bloodbaths. He's the last person to suspect and the last who should suspect his martial arts rival. But then again, since he likely doesn't give a shit about such things, he probably isn't thinking too deeply about the whole incident.

It seems to me that if Vurai was convinved the empire would be stronger by having someone else than a little girl as the ruler, he wouldn't put up with theater like this but would have simply cleaved the poor girl in two. And then killed anybody stupid enough to protest.

Kraco
Sat, 03-05-2016, 03:06 PM
Episode 22 - HS

- - - - - - -

Looks like I evaluated Vurai partially wrong. While he's indeed very straightforward, it seems like he's not above petty schemes, after all, although possibly as long as he can only accept them and doesn't need to be the one executing them. Moreover, he's actually one of those fools who thinks nobody else is suited to rule the empire but their own august self. It's a pity. It would have been nice if he had been an adamant warrior instead.

This show certainly got better when things started to happen.

David75
Sat, 03-05-2016, 03:24 PM
It could be said Oshutoru falling to that petty trap is proof he's not part of the strong, thus deserves dying by Vurai's standards.

Kraco
Sat, 03-05-2016, 03:53 PM
Indeed. It's not like Oshitoru couldn't have handled the matter differently. I guess he blamed himself pretty severely for being so gullible that the criminal managed to use him as a proxy. It's like it never visited his mind someone could target the princess in order to take over.

David75
Sat, 03-05-2016, 04:03 PM
That too.

We know in the end he will get the upper hand and catch the conspirationists. But allowing the poisoning of his futur ruler really is a severe mistake.

Kraco
Sat, 03-05-2016, 05:06 PM
Who was it that picked up his mask, though? It's pretty strange Dekoponpo isn't all vexed about it, but I still think it didn't end up back into his hands. I have a feeling whoever has it will suddenly send it into Oshutoru's hands when the dude is again back on his feet and trying to make things better - and really needs it, naturally. At least that would be nicer than some scumbag actually being able to use its power. Although I suppose it would fit the show if Haku used it instead.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-05-2016, 05:25 PM
Maybe Haku will get it and finally make a real difference.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-07-2016, 04:52 AM
Vurai was loyal to the emperor, but I don't read that as being loyal to the Imperial bloodline specifically. He only follows the strong.

Oshutoru kinda relinquished the idea of being strong by doing two things:

1) announcing the powerless Anju as the next ruler

2) allowing his power (mask) to be taken away.

Vurai could have actually made his move after 2), since:

Who was it that picked up his mask, though?

http://i.imgur.com/3XUYBbk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QHqv317.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/4D7kwBl.jpg

Kraco
Mon, 03-07-2016, 05:33 AM
One-Punch Man?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-07-2016, 07:19 AM
pick-up-mask man.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-07-2016, 09:34 AM
Vurai is like the sneakiest macho man in anime.

Kraco
Sat, 03-12-2016, 01:22 PM
Episode 23 - HS

- - - - -

I reckon Vurai will toss the mask back to Oshutoru so that they can have a decent fight.

This ep felt stetched. The endless alley running and ambushes were starting to get tiresome.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-12-2016, 01:43 PM
Rurutie, what the absolute fuck.

Good slap by the bird, but why did it even have to go there? As if she wasn't weak enough.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-12-2016, 01:51 PM
Stretched episode. I began skipping through it midway.

So I'm guessing Oshtoru's gonna die here, and Haku is gonna inherit the mask. They aren't gonna get past Vurai unscathed, unless Touka and Onee-sama show up, that is.

They really should've just tapped Kuon's powers and pawned everything in Yamato. I wanna see her laser cannon the shit out of Vurai and his copycat mask powers.

The only decent person in the entire city outside of Haku's friends is the other general who let them go, who is also actually Haku's friend IIRC.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 03-21-2016, 10:23 AM
HS Episode 24

--------------------------

http://i.imgur.com/Ic5hwNb.jpg

^ pretty much what happened.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Oshtoru died :(

What now???

Kraco
Mon, 03-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Oshtoru died

What now???

Maybe the MC will finally actually do something else than complaining?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-21-2016, 03:25 PM
Yeah right. I'll believe it when I see it.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-26-2016, 08:33 PM
EP 25:

Oh wow. So this was the prologue to the actual story that we will never see. Okay.

Turns out Kraco was right.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-27-2016, 01:10 AM
Poor poor Kuon. She needs a hug, preferably from Haku but I don't mind taking the role.

Kraco
Sun, 03-27-2016, 04:04 PM
The weirdest ending I've seen for a while. Might make more sense if they were animating an unfinished story. Was the game only part 1 or something?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-27-2016, 04:21 PM
Itsuwari no Kamen was actually a 2015 VN. I'm guessing there's a sequel in the works.

EDIT: I was right. (https://vndb.org/v18717)

Kraco
Mon, 03-28-2016, 03:07 PM
At the very least we learned Munechika isn't dead or even rotting in a prison. She seemed well off. I always thought she's so beautiful that it would a huge waste for her to die in such a stupid war.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 03-28-2016, 03:49 PM
And she shows off her waki with that sleeveless arm wielding the hammer fist weapon.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-03-2022, 07:15 AM
So, we never had a thread for Mask of Deception (and the adaptation was apparently a horrible mess anyway from the source material), and now Mask of Truth is airing.

All three series are still connected, so I'm using the powers of necromancy to revive this thread.

edit: Apparently, we did, it just can't be searched for it at all without the full title

Mask of Truth
------------

Mask of Truth - 01

---

I am completely lost, but I do remember some of the characters names. I knew Rurutieh and Atuy were both princesses at least!

The recap parts for Mask of Deception didn't really help. So here goes:

Haku was revived (of course he looks just like Hakouro but he's not a revived god), met Kuon (who was raised by most of the waifus of the first series) and all the others, eventually ending up in Yamato with, "the princess" being Anju. Stuff happens, the masks have stored power that Hakuoro had, and a Berserker looking guy shows up and tries to kill some of the major Yamato royalty off. A mask-wearing guard captain named Oshtor dies in that fighting because his little sister Nekone tried to help and directly caused his death, but not in the anime. Haku takes over the mask, pretending to be Oshtor, much to the dismay of most of the female cast. These incidents will result in a very large war winding up. Thus starts Mask of Truth.

I'm missing a ton of particular details, because I couldn't be bothered to rewatch 25 episodes from 6-7 years ago. But this first episode is mostly tone setting and trying to recap the important stuff. Noticeably, Nekone is way guiltier than she should be, and that was something the previous season apparently changed.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-03-2022, 08:41 AM
So far the adaptation looks good. The art doesn't seem crap, and they aren't rushing through the story.

The difficulty here is how to show the battle parts because the game itself relied on you playing and demolishing the enemies with your SRPG skills, not actual war tactics. I hope the writers came up with convincing yet still impressive ideas, or at the very least not make it too unbelievable.

To add to Ryll's summary, here is a quick character recap to refresh memories:

Haku (ハク)
CV: Keiji Fujiwara
The main protagonist of the story. A young man who has lost memories and uncertain of his identity. He was saved from a monster attack by Kuon and gave him his current name. He excels at using his quick-witted insights although he's not serious nor a hard-working person. He's worried about that he may die in a road without Kuon due to his remarkably low stamina.

Kuon (クオン)
CV: Risa Taneda
The main heroine of the story. Away from her hometown, she's a beautiful lone traveler who has an ability to fight using hand-to-hand combat. She helped a man with an amnesia and gave him a name "Haku". She is lively and clever but somewhat distant somewhere. She may be young to be a doctor but her skill is certainly good.

Rulutieh (ルルティエ)
CV: Ai Kakuma
The princess of Kujyuri, a dependent nation of Yamato. A timid noble girl who owns two pet birds named Pororo and Cocopo. She is heading towards the capital of Yamato as a messenger carrying the tribute.

Nekone (ネコネ)
CV: Inori Minase
Ukon's younger sister who may seem like his daughter. An intellectual girl who looks very sweet due to her youth and stretches herself to speak politely. She is the youngest person who passed a difficult test. Her favorite foods are sweets, and she has a hobby of examining matters of ancient times.

Atuy (アトゥイ)
CV: Yumi Hara
A young girl who is bright and fearless with an elegant tone of speech. Although she may seem an affectionate young lady, she is an expert on utilizing a spear. She always places Kurarin's pet on top of her head.

Kiwru (キウル)
CV: Murase Ayumu
Ukon's sworn brother from Ennakamuy, a dependent nation of Yamato. Easily flustered and a worrywart, but a skilled archer with strong potential.

Nosuri (ノスリ)
CV: Nozomi Yamamoto
A girl who leads a clan of thieves titled after her name. She is a lively thief who has a big chest and not very well organized. Her younger brother, Ougi is always by her side.

Ougi (オウギ)
CV: Takahiro Sakurai
The assistant and younger brother of Nosuri. He appears to be very sharp and has good manners despite being young.

Uruuru & Saraana (ウルゥル・サラァナ)
CV: Ayane Sakura
The twin sisters who follows Haku's party around, although their intentions are unknown. Despite their identical appearance leading to not being able to distinguish the sisters, Uruuru's skin color is white while Saraana has tanned skin.

Kraco
Sun, 07-03-2022, 12:41 PM
The story didn't waste time, with armies already marching. While I remembered some things from the previous season, I didn't remember Haku & Gang ended up in such a dire situation at the end, basically having the empire's central government after them.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-03-2022, 04:22 PM
Borrowed from another forum:

Anime Only Recap
(https://old.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/vp9as2/utawarerumono_an_animeonly_recap_of_series_1_2_to/)

And a relationship map as of the beginning of this season (https://i.imgur.com/dN5dAaA.jpeg)!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-04-2022, 01:24 PM
2nd Ep (magnet:?xt=urn:btih:BOVIGBFIPXUQKV7NLXTRS5JL5PFMU 7YS&dn=%5BSubsPlease%5D%20Utawarerumono%20-%20Futari%20no%20Hakuoro%20-%2002%20%28720p%29%20%5BCB780825%5D.mkv&xl=737338731&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969%2Fan nounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fann ounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.to%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2F9.rarbg.me%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.internetwarriors.net%3A1337 %2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.cyberia.is%3A6969%2Fannounc e&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker3.itzmx.com%3A6961%2Fannounc e&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fanno unce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.tiny-vps.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fretracker.lanta-net.ru%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fopen.acgnxtracker.com%3A80%2Fannou nce&tr=wss%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openwebtorrent.com) is out.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-17-2022, 06:40 AM
Eps 4

------

What's with the really weird voice shift at the end of the episode? Is Kuon using The Voice from Dune?

Kind of threw me out of the entire episode.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 07-18-2022, 08:43 PM
Yeah, I don't know if it's just "symbolic" like when characters grow to cut their hair etc, or whether it's actually her becoming one with the "monster"/inherited-destiny/divine thing.

Atuy is entertaining.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-18-2022, 10:13 PM
Kuon is using her divine scion voice LOL.

I think it's an actual voice and not symbolic. As to how she is doing it, who knows. She is part god, so there's that.

Kraco
Tue, 07-19-2022, 10:01 AM
If the poisoned princess, Anju, doesn't want a war with Tuskuru, why wouldn't Kuon just restore her onto the throne? Now it sounds like her aim is to raze the whole Yamato continent to the ground. Why else would she think her friends would hate her and consider her a traitor? Anju and all of Kuon's old friends are fugitives as it is. It seemed to me like the Tuskuru folks already knew that much.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-19-2022, 01:03 PM
I think her goal is to invade and defeat Yamato in order to bring order to it and save her persecuted friends, who are stuck in a bad situation with Anju. The Haku faction has barely any military power compared to the whole of Yamato and its generals/provinces, so when Kuon said she will defeat Yamato, she is likely referring to the latter, not the crippled province her friends are hiding out in.

Kraco
Tue, 07-19-2022, 01:33 PM
I think her goal is to invade and defeat Yamato in order to bring order to it and save her persecuted friends, who are stuck in a bad situation with Anju. The Haku faction has barely any military power compared to the whole of Yamato and its generals/provinces, so when Kuon said she will defeat Yamato, she is likely referring to the latter, not the crippled province her friends are hiding out in.

Indeed, but she was told: "Your friends will call you a traitor and hate you."

I don't think Tuskuru would have the means to actually annex Yamato or turn it into a colony or a vassal state with a puppet ruling it, so whatever Kuon does there, would be sort of transient, a rearrangement of what's going on there to make the place less hostile toward Tuskuru, at least for the time being. Keeping that in mind, what exactly would be a better option than to have her actual friends (Anju) in power?

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-24-2022, 03:58 PM
Eps 5

-------

Didn't expect Anju to get well so soon. She had it quite rough though. First learning of "Haku's" death and then having him tell her that if she wants her rightful throne back, she's going to have to accept a very blood-soaked civil war. Quite the harsh political lesson for a girl who is only now starting to mature and realizing what position she's in after playing around before. The last to catch up to the other Princesses.

I assume that Oshtor and Nekone's mother wasn't actually fooled.

But the "I've battled you before and can immediately tell from a single blow that you're an imposter" cliche is lame.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-30-2022, 03:00 PM
Ep 6

------------------

Didn't expect Anju to get well so soon. She had it quite rough though. First learning of "Haku's" death and then having him tell her that if she wants her rightful throne back, she's going to have to accept a very blood-soaked civil war. Quite the harsh political lesson for a girl who is only now starting to mature and realizing what position she's in after playing around before. The last to catch up to the other Princesses.

Nothing compared to Kuon it seems. She's laying it down hard for Anju.

I agree that mother wasn't fooled.

I did find relief that Nekone has finally concluded that Haku shouldn't emulate Oshtor when he's around her. Now he has an outlet besides the twins.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-31-2022, 05:22 PM
The first half did feel like a redemption episode for Nekone.

Unfortunately, the mask is now stuck to Haku's face.

I get what Kuon is doing to Anju, but she's pretty mean about it. She's still humiliating a fellow ruler, even if her intentions are to help Anju grow up.

What I don't understand is Raiko. He's a huge asshole, usurping power and even lying to his people about what a POS Dekoponpo actually was and painting him as a hero. Definitely the guy who needs to die the most and in the worst way possible...like Anju tearing him in half, Karula style. Does Raiko have a deeper aim, or is he just in it for the personal power?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-01-2022, 10:02 PM
Losing Haku really made Kuon cold. Whatever her intentions are, her previous self would not have taken such brutal methods.

I really feel for Haku every time people praise him as Oshtor. He is essentially doing his best to destroy his true self for his dead friend's parting wish.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-01-2022, 11:57 PM
Wait I thought both Nekone and Kuon knew Haku was the new Oshtor.

edit:
Ah. Only Nekone knew. Sad times.
But while rewatching some stuff I found a Kuon-bedwetting-as-a-child OVA which was cute.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-06-2022, 11:42 AM
Episode 07

----------------

That ended up being very wholesome. Best bit is that Kuon now has hope.

As much of an emotional boost as Anju got, it was at least an equal amount of morale damage to Kuon that evened this out. I wonder if even Karulau knew how the sword scene would play out. It looked like it was thrown equidistance from both parties, but Anju took the initiative.

But yeah, damn.. Karulau's still as much of a beast as ever. She was probably my favourite in the original.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-06-2022, 12:36 PM
What do you mean by Kuon now has hope? She went back to the team knowing Haku is pretending to be Oshtor. She has way more than hope.

The OG gang will be complete next episode.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-06-2022, 12:57 PM
What do you mean by Kuon now has hope? She went back to the team knowing Haku is pretending to be Oshtor. She has way more than hope.

The OG gang will be complete next episode.

I suspect that she suspects, but I am not yet confident she knows. She was making sense of what she thinks she heard him mutter before Anju kept punching her and we never got a conclusion to her thoughts during the fight. Her internal monologue while crying afterwards actually said "Oshtor, are you perhaps..."

She's going back to confirm, is what I think.

I also feel that we never got a proper conclusion to Anju deciding "Oshtor, about that question you asked earlier? Yeah, I'm committed to taking my thrown back and the lives required as collateral damage."

It was left as "Oshtor, I believed in you. Announce me to the world." Nekone to tried to clarrify that she understood what she is signing up for, but Oshtor stopped her from clarifying that, and thus us hearing Anju articulate that.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-06-2022, 12:59 PM
It's very cute that Anju is literally powered by her own arrogance, balanced by her good (if naive) intentions.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-06-2022, 02:42 PM
I suspect that she suspects, but I am not yet confident she knows. She was making sense of what she thinks she heard him mutter before Anju kept punching her and we never got a conclusion to her thoughts during the fight. Her internal monologue while crying afterwards actually said "Oshtor, are you perhaps..."

She's going back to confirm, is what I think.

She already knows, that was why she got so confused during the battle. The line about "extra pay" is a trademark of Haku's, and he muttered it to himself, not to anyone else, meaning it wasn't performative but habitual. That is also why Kuon was mumbling something about the Akuruka. She couldn't understand why Haku, who is apparently alive, is wearing that. She wouldn't jump all the way to the Akuruka comment if she hadn't already thought that "Oshtor" was just Haku in disguise.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-06-2022, 03:24 PM
Assuming that Kuon has fully accepted that the person in front of her then was Haku, why is she surprised that he's wearing the mask in particular?

Instead of the generic "Why are you pretending to be Oshtor", she seems specifically fixated on "Mask".

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-06-2022, 03:47 PM
Because the Akuruka chooses its master and also drains them of their life force (like how Oshtor died). Haku had no business wearing it, at least from what she currently knows.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-29-2022, 05:21 PM
E10

---------------

Kuon uses sex appeal. It was super effective!

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-29-2022, 06:01 PM
She did inherit her mother's looks.

I hope the Princess's army make mincemeat out of this disgrace of an Evenkuruga.

Ryllharu
Tue, 10-11-2022, 05:26 PM
Eps 16

--------

Mikazuchi is such a stupid fucking asshole. He knows it is Haku and not Oshtor, but insists the only way worth fighting is in Akuruturuka form, like it is something to play around with. Even if it was Oshtor, Mikazuchi is still an asshole. It's also two brainless giants bashing into each other repeatedly like oxen. I guess there's some level of losing yourself in that stupid shit, but Kuon stopping them proved for all the bravado of that form, they're still grossly inferior copies of Uitsualnemetia and his progeny.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-30-2022, 07:00 AM
E19

-------------------

The adventures of Haku continues, while the general that didn't seem that important turned out to be the true schemer. I swear it's always the researchers.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 11-15-2022, 08:13 AM
E21

------------------

Okay, I did NOT expect to see Eruru again, nor all the lore reveals.

All this talk about being worthy.. but you'd think that being human would be one of those requirements, and all he did was prove that he knew stuff. Though.. it is true that he doesn't seem to have animal ears.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-15-2022, 01:44 PM
The dood might be a human too, but in the end he seems intent on stealing the key, not negotiating to get it.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 04-26-2023, 04:47 PM
S2E28

----------------

Finally got around to finishing this.

I think this came of pretty evidently as a game adaptation. There's no real tension or choreography to the fights at all and they serve to just move the plot along. Things happen, characters say stuff, they move to new locations, battles happen, (ads get summoned lol), battle resolves, cutscenes of more stuff happens and it repeats.

While I did like the character designs and all, it was fairly boring to watch. The original show had better characters which pulled them along. Aruru's the most entertaining to watch across both series. Karura's the hottest. Kuon's tail was probably the best bit of False Faces, while Atui more or less carried the first part of Mask of Truth.

While I have a bit of a soft spot for this, I think it's riding hard on nostalgia and find it difficult to recommend as a standalone anime.