PDA

View Full Version : God Eater

Munsu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nRWcVlNPsc

Genres: action, science fiction

Plot Summary: In the year 2071, the Far East is ruled by angry gods. 20 years ago unknown life forms called “Oracle cells” begin their uncontrolled consumption of all life on Earth. Humanity both fears them and reveres them as "aragami." They are immune to all weapons and the mankind's numbers continue to dwindle. The last bastion of hope is the newly developed "God Arcs" weapons that utilize Oracle cells to fight back. The weapons wielders band together into an elite force dubbed "God Eaters."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16370

Anyone watching God Eater? Considering that it's from ufotable, I thought there might be more interest in this one.

So far it's been a bit of hit and miss for me, but the more I watch the more I can tolerate its failing and I'm really warming up to it. At the very least some of the action has been very good. The first parallel that will be drawn will be for Attack on Titan, which will be inevitable.

Need to get used to the animation a bit and I really like the soundtrack so far.

Up to episode 5 now:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=711064
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=713776
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=716398
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=721269
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=723538

Next episode should be coming out today.

There's also a prologue that came out previously, but haven't downloaded it nor watched it yet.

Kraco
Sun, 08-23-2015, 08:54 AM
There are only two things keeping me watching this show, and neither is very flattering: Alisa's underboob and Lenka's underclocked brain. The former doesn't need explanations, but the latter is purely funny as the dude continuously needs 20 seconds to ponder something a normal human would think through in a second. His reactions and speech are so hilariously slowed down. It's quite incomprehensible how he staid alive outside of the walls all of his childhood. But considering the latest ep, maybe he's just so slow he doesn't even realise when he should be dead already, like in old cartoons.

Munsu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 09:31 AM
There are only two things keeping me watching this show, and neither is very flattering: Alisa's underboob and Lenka's underclocked brain. The former doesn't need explanations, but the latter is purely funny as the dude continuously needs 20 seconds to ponder something a normal human would think through in a second. His reactions and speech are so hilariously slowed down. It's quite incomprehensible how he staid alive outside of the walls all of his childhood. But considering the latest ep, maybe he's just so slow he doesn't even realise when he should be dead already, like in old cartoons.

If an underboob would be something to keep me from watching anime, I wouldn't even bother watching anime at all. I find Kota's showing off his belly button more problematic. :p

And I get what you say about Lenka.

In all, quite flawed so far. But I'm curious enough about where this is going to keep watching. It has enough action and good music to hold me through this early portion. Love the violence as well.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Underbood and waki. Nuff said.

And awesome fights, really. It's rare in anime when the movements feel like they have real weight.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:19 AM
I dunno, seeing someone stabbed a half-dozen times by a huge blade/claw and still moving around doesn't really scream "fights with real weight" to me.

I might be spoiled still from AirMaster. That's still the only anime I've seen where impacts are impacts. Which is pretty crazy because the art style is so cartoony at times. Even the more recent Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai doesn't come close to AirMaster's downright visceral hits.

I guess if you only mean their stances when preparing to shoot and strike, but even that's pushing it because they're moving the god arcs around like they're toys.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:29 AM
That's still the only anime I've seen where impacts are impacts.

Hajime no Ippo?
Fist of the North Star?

I dropped this partway through episode 01 because of the CGI. I thought some of the character designs looked good (from PVC figures anyway) so I was a little disappointed.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:33 AM
@Ryll - It's how they move around and swing the god arcs. They don't fight like chipmunks on acid. They move like beings with real mass, seen from the slow pace of the fights.

Munsu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Hajime no Ippo?
Fist of the North Star?

I dropped this partway through episode 01 because of the CGI. I thought some of the character designs looked good (from PVC figures anyway) so I was a little disappointed.

I know how you feel. I hate CGI, but I think your should watch the first 5 or at least the first 3, since the action improves as the episodes go on and it might make it easier to stomach.

I recall having the same reservations with Green Lantern: The Animated Series, which I really came to love after I gave it a shot, but it's a matter of getting used to it for the most part. It's very jarring though when you stumble into it for the first time in a series.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM
I'll give it a go if time permits then. I can handle CGI if it's used sparingly (combat), or if the rest of the story is good enough for me to overlook it (Letter Bee comes to mind).

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-23-2015, 12:11 PM
When the CGI gets too much for your eyes, focus on the underboob.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Watched the first 2 episodes and skipped through the third. I don't like the weapons they are fightning with, they are ugly, way too heavy/big and yet they swing them way to easily from time to time.
All in all the fighting looks awkward and that weapon into beast transformation was beyond weird to look at imho. (ep3)
Thought I'd give it a go, since ufotable did such a great job with UBW, but I won't watch this. The story and characters didn't seem that interesting either.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 08-23-2015, 02:02 PM
5 episodes in and I still can't really decide on the art style.
Sometimes it looks pretty good. Sometimes it looks awful.

Plot-wise, this show is nonsense.
I'm really disappointed ufotable is wasting time on this. I guess they wanted to try out this new style on a show they didn't really care about?

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-23-2015, 02:09 PM
The artstyle looks better in non-action scenes than in action scenes if you ask me.

Munsu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 10:23 AM
Episodes 6 and 7:
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=728312
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=730845

In all, the black vajra was a good enemy monster to have, and I'm usually not a fan of monster enemies. Alisa went a bit crazy on us as well. Still trying to understand why the weapon that was dead revived with that substance... defense mechanism maybe? Hopefully it's explained better.

Still my main interest remain the snippets we get from the past. I think we've remained too isolated to what's going on politically and globally so far in the series, so hope we dive into it a bit more soon.

Also the whole "mada dayo", "mou ikkai" chant particularly the child portion always comes off as creepy, which lends for a great suspense atmosphere.

David75
Thu, 09-10-2015, 12:01 PM
I agree that show is a mix of nice ideas and atmospheres, and other parts are dull and not worth watching.Regarding the god arc, since it comes from the same type of cells as the Vajra and all of the monster group, it's not surprising it has régénération abilities.
If I understood the snipets, this is a group of cells with a main one reigning.
We can suppose that if the main cell isn't destroyed, it can be revived with the proper nutrients and energy. So the capsule and the interaction with bloodstream probably indicated that.

Munsu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 12:10 PM
I agree that show is a mix of nice ideas and atmospheres, and other parts are dull and not worth watching.Regarding the god arc, since it comes from the same type of cells as the Vajra and all of the monster group, it's not surprising it has régénération abilities.
If I understood the snipets, this is a group of cells with a main one reigning.
We can suppose that if the main cell isn't destroyed, it can be revived with the proper nutrients and energy. So the capsule and the interaction with bloodstream probably indicated that.

Yeah, but isn't the capsule like anti-Aragami? That's partially what has me wondering... did the core activate because it felt threatened or something?

Kraco
Thu, 09-10-2015, 12:18 PM
Yeah, but isn't the capsule like anti-Aragami? That's partially what has me wondering... did the core activate because it felt threatened or something?

Isn't the capsule full of oracle cells, the same as the device that pumps the cells into the god eater candidates to turn them into killing machines, and also the same that power the weapons? I got a feeling the trees were originally just ordinary trees, but they pumped oracle cells into them, mutating them into ents. There seem to be two types of oracle cells, as we even saw in the latest microscopy video where a majority of the cells (the ones forming the monsters, no doubt) were avoiding a minority type in the culture. So, the god arc reviving makes sense if it got a dose of new cells. I don't know why it looked as bad as ever afterwards. I would have expected it to resurrect for good. I guess it's not that simple.

Munsu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Isn't the capsule full of oracle cells, the same as the device that pumps the cells into the god eater candidates to turn them into killing machines, and also the same that power the weapons? I got a feeling the trees were originally just ordinary trees, but they pumped oracle cells into them, mutating them into ents. There seem to be two types of oracle cells, as we even saw in the latest microscopy video where a majority of the cells (the ones forming the monsters, no doubt) were avoiding a minority type in the culture. So, the god arc reviving makes sense if it got a dose of new cells. I don't know why it looked as bad as ever afterwards. I would have expected it to resurrect for good. I guess it's not that simple.

Right, the Oracle cells. I guess I'm not sure what the god arc is made of. But as you say, same as the trees where actual Aragami, but their behavior might be similar to that of the god arc and whatever that's made of and how it feeds from Oracle cells or such instead of how it reacts with the usual Aragami.

I guess part of the detail is the whole speech about picky eaters as well.

As for what's actually injected to the God Eaters, I wasn't paying attention to that.

David75
Thu, 09-10-2015, 12:59 PM
I understood the capsule was food for the trees, so I kept that idea for the god arc.I also think the god arc is an hybrid made of inert mater, giving it its sword shape, and oracle cells that give power and some morphing seen when feeding.Clearly, the inert part needs some repairs :D

Kraco
Thu, 09-10-2015, 02:17 PM
I understood the capsule was food for the trees, so I kept that idea for the god arc.I also think the god arc is an hybrid made of inert mater, giving it its sword shape, and oracle cells that give power and some morphing seen when feeding.Clearly, the inert part needs some repairs :D

Yeah, the nutrient idea was what I thought as well, until Lenka basically used them as projectile weapons against the Aragami. Why would the monster that can ignore artillery shells give a shit about some nutrient solution? It was greatly displeased by the contents of the capsules, however.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 05:57 PM
This is the way I understood it:

Based on the flashbacks, there are two types of cells, the Oracle cells, and the types of cells the Oracle cells avoid. Both are a form of Aragami. The avoided cells are some kind of natural divergent evolution of the Oracle cells, protecting themselves naturally from the Oracle cell cycle of consumption.

- The monsters are made of regular Oracle cells.
- God Arcs, the ampules, and the trees are composed of the avoided cells.

Regular Oracle cells feed on anything organic. The avoided cells seem to feed primarily on themselves or on the regular Oracle cells.

Munsu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 06:04 PM
This is the way I understood it:

Based on the flashbacks, there are two types of cells, the Oracle cells, and the types of cells the Oracle cells avoid. Both are a form of Aragami. The avoided cells are some kind of natural divergent evolution of the Oracle cells, protecting themselves naturally from the Oracle cell cycle of consumption.

- The monsters are made of regular Oracle cells.
- God Arcs, the ampules, and the trees are composed of the avoided cells.

Regular Oracle cells feed on anything organic. The avoided cells seem to feed primarily on themselves or on the regular Oracle cells.

That has some vague resemblance on what I was thinking in general, so I'll go with this theory for now.

Munsu
Mon, 09-14-2015, 08:59 AM
So far this series has had a very inconsistent schedule. I wonder who's at fault? The tv station or ufotable?

Anyways, another week of wait.

Kraco
Mon, 09-14-2015, 09:19 AM
I'm looking forward to see how Alisa copes with her utterly disgraceful behavior during this mission, after she ran out of her medicine. Especially considering how arrogant she was during her introduction. Lenka is still a n00b, nothing more, and has never really tried to act as if he was something else. I'd take his eagerness to partake on difficult missions as another sign of being green. So, while he might have failed here as well, though not nearly as spectacularly as Alisa, he doesn't really have anything to be ashamed of. His collapse was never total, either.

I don't actually dislike Alisa, far from it. I hope this will push her closer to Lenka. So close that the dude in him would appreciate those glorious underboobs.

Munsu
Mon, 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM
I'm looking forward to see how Alisa copes with her utterly disgraceful behavior during this mission, after she ran out of her medicine. Especially considering how arrogant she was during her introduction. Lenka is still a n00b, nothing more, and has never really tried to act as if he was something else. I'd take his eagerness to partake on difficult missions as another sign of being green. So, while he might have failed here as well, though not nearly as spectacularly as Alisa, he doesn't really have anything to be ashamed of. His collapse was never total, either.

I don't actually dislike Alisa, far from it. I hope this will push her closer to Lenka. So close that the dude in him would appreciate those glorious underboobs.

The "over" is not bad either.

http://i.imgur.com/1i2uAlH.png

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-14-2015, 11:08 AM
Boobs are great and all, but it's all about the waki.

I wonder if she will still be all tsun in the next episode. And drugs are scary...

Munsu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 01:14 PM
Looks like all the delays during the season caused this series to not finish up this initial cour. So who knows when we'll get the rest of the episodes beyond next week:

The Tokyo MX station, Yahoo! TV Japan, and other Japanese television schedules are listing episode 9 of the God Eater anime on September 27 as the final television episode. The end of the television run does not preclude plans for the anime in another format or medium. The new anime Comet Lucifer will take over God Eater's 10:30 p.m. timeslot on October 4.

The God Eater anime premiered in August, and four "Extra" episode have so far pre-empted regular episodes that were previously scheduled.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-09-20/god-eater-episode-9-listed-as-final-tv-episode-next-sunday/.93181

Anyways, episode 8 is now out:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=735694

David75
Sun, 09-20-2015, 02:06 PM
Why was the schedule changed and the show prematurely stopped ?Abysmal ratings ? Sales ? Production costs ? Studio troubles ?

Munsu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Why was the schedule changed and the show prematurely stopped ?Abysmal ratings ? Sales ? Production costs ? Studio troubles ?

If I had to guess problems with having the episodes ready on time or such? I mean, if they still used the slots for God Eater special episodes, then I think the problem lies with ufotable not having the episodes ready or something.

But who knows.

Kraco
Sun, 09-20-2015, 04:51 PM
I'm somewhat disappointed. While Lenka coordinating the fight was good, it saddens me Alisa was taken away and thus there was no scene with her trying to deal with Lenka under these new circumstances, with Lenka having witnessed her deep issues. There's not so much hope of a jolly scene in the future (provided the show continues) because from now on Lenka will obviously live in the shadow of his death sentence. I doubt he will have much humour left for tsunderes. In his slowness he's extremely stable, but no matter what, such a sentence ought to be hard to deal with. Of course the extremely dangerous and tough profession as such won't grant anybody extra years, but he must have thought he could still fight longer.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-20-2015, 05:04 PM
Really like Lenka stepping up and taking command. And...is it just me or was Alisa's rack just massive when she was laying in bed? Around 4:03. I mean..damn.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-20-2015, 11:58 PM
I don't think death sentences of a few years are anything to worry about in their world. Getting eaten by an Aragami in the next few hours seems more realistic.

This show, or more precisely Alisa, got screwed by this limited broadcast/production.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 09-21-2015, 02:24 AM
That too. I think all God Eaters have reduced life spans simply because they can wield their God Arc. The higher your comparability, the shorter it is. The upside is that you apparently increased healing power. Which they all really need.

Kraco
Mon, 09-21-2015, 02:28 AM
I don't think death sentences of a few years are anything to worry about in their world. Getting eaten by an Aragami in the next few hours seems more realistic.

He survived most of his life outside of a walled city. Now he's finally in and has the weapons to fight back. I don't think he was still planning to die so soon, as if he had never made it to the city.

Munsu
Sun, 09-27-2015, 11:01 AM
The remaining episodes 10-13 are coming out this winter:

Episode 9 of the God Eater anime ended on Sunday with an announcement that the remaining episodes, episodes 10-13, are "coming this winter." The anime's official website and Twitter account will provide more details as they are made public.

The remaining episodes are:

Episode 10 "Sange" (A Glorious End)
Episode 11 "Meteor Light"
Episode 12 "Dai-Ichi Butai" (First Unit)
Episode 13 "Renge" (Lotus Flower)
The announcement listed the following words next to the episode numbers and titles: "Kako" (Past), "Hatsudō" (Set in Action), "Unknown," and "Mirai" (Future).

Episode 9 was listed as the final episode of the current television run.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-27/god-eater-episodes-10-13-are-coming-this-winter/.93453

And here's episode 9:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=738300

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-27-2015, 03:37 PM
Sigh...I hate cliches like these. Humanity is facing extinction or at least that's what I get from this show and what do they do? They decide to brainwash someone into thinking one of their own is an enemy to in order to keep a secret. That sort of shit never made sense to me.

Kraco
Sun, 09-27-2015, 04:28 PM
Sigh...I hate cliches like these. Humanity is facing extinction or at least that's what I get from this show and what do they do? They decide to brainwash someone into thinking one of their own is an enemy to in order to keep a secret. That sort of shit never made sense to me.

Depends on the secret. If it's something most people would reject, then it's quite plausible they would do anything to maintain its secrecy until it's too late for the majority to do anything about it. Considering how these people have for years been toying with human lives and deciding who gets to live and who will be left to feed the roaming aragami, it's not much of a problem for them to sacrifice somebody. If you start to play a god, you better play the role till the end.

Gotta feel sorry for Alisa, though. She had nothing to do with it, but due to her mental instability, they will readily exploit her.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Episodes 10 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=790953) and 11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=792971) are out.

This show has so much waki potential but never makes use of it dammit.

Alisa became all tsun again. If this ends in one or two more episodes, it'll be a pointless story. The flashback is more well-rounded than the rest of the episodes.