PDA

View Full Version : Seraph of the End: Owari no Seraph

Munsu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 10:12 AM
http://i.imgur.com/Mtvg71f.jpg

One day, a mysterious virus appeared on Earth which killed every infected human over the age of 13. At the same time, vampires emerged from the world's dark recesses and enslaved mankind. Enter Hyakuya Yuuichirou, a young boy, who along with the rest of the children from his orphanage, are treated as livestock by the vampires. Even in captivity, Yuuichirou dreams big. He dreams of killing vampires. He dreams of killing them all.

Source: Population Go

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10813

Genres/Themes: Action, Fantasy, Shounen, Vampire

Episodes by Vivid (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=separate&user=209076)

This is a series from 2015 Spring, didn't seem to get much acceptance from what I've read around. Decided to give it a shot, and was more entertained by it than I thought I would. I'm three episodes in. Far from a perfect show given, but I like the violence so far, and the action hasn't been bad at all either. The animation is a bit hit and miss, but I got used to it. Will keep watching later on.

Anyone here tried it or watched it?

First part was 12 episodes long, and there'll be another this Fall from what I've seen.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Watched it and it was fun, but the animation really took a huge hit in the later eps, especially when MC went berserk. (didn't we use to have spoiler tags?)

Shinoa is a really awesome female lead and she's one of the reasons why I'll watch the 2nd half later

that smug face.

-------------------later eps----------------------

Guren was really disappointing in terms of fighting capabilities... I wonder if the last few eps failed the manga really hard. The red haired fist-weapon girl looks promising as well, but I doubt she'll end up more than a minor side character. The arrows vs Attack chopper scene was poorly done as well, you know they arn't using normals bows, but it sure looked like they did... Can't believe that it was that "plain" in the manga and it's probably another budget/animation issue.

Munsu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 11:57 AM
There are no spoiler tags because there's no spoilers permitted in this forum period, but considering that this show already aired completely, what you mentioned is valid though I appreciate how you hid the spoiler knowing I'm not caught up.

Anyways, yes Shinoa is quite awesome so far... I really like her.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Shinoa is a goddess.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-26-2015, 06:22 PM
Here's my review of season 1:
I thought this show was pretty bad, but still watchable.

Animation quality all over the place, unexplained plot elements, weird character interactions, and the fight choreography.... That was probably what bothered me the most.
So many times, they would cut to some people just crossing sword and watching other people fight, or have someone run in and attack a bunch of people while everyone stood around and watched. It was just nonsense and made the whole thing seem laughable.

Hardly any of the characters are likable, especially not the main character. Nobody explains anything to anyone. People just believe everything the vampires tell them. There are just so many ridiculous elements to this show.

The painted backgrounds, I'm undecided on. While they look nice by themselves, probably half the scenes just look weird with the drawn characters against the watercolor backgrounds. Other scenes look fine, though.

I would have a hard time recommending this show to anyone.

Munsu
Mon, 07-27-2015, 10:31 PM
Just finished the first season, and overall I really enjoyed it. As you say, not something I would go recommending, but I think it's more entertaining than it's given credit.

And just became a big fan of the VA Hayami Saori. I thought I'd watched animes with her before, but looking at her filmography, I haven't watched anything she's been a part in. Anyways, Shinoa + the voice of Hayami Saori where complete win in this series.

Anyways, regarding the final episode of the first season...

Seems like the vampire noble Ferid Bathory is working with an unknown players in all of this. I suspect it may be a human, and maybe it's Guren. If we go back to the first episode to when Yuichiro escaped, Guren was there waiting for him. Of course, he played it off as a prophecy, but who knows... maybe someone above him might be the partner also?

Looking forward to the second season in October.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Moar Shinoa, less everything else (especially shounen ai). Formula for success.

Munsu
Mon, 09-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Seraph of the End: Battle in Nagoya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRYkpjKW9sQ

Plot Summary: (Has spoilers of first season)

Yuichiro has reunited with Mikaela at the Shinjuku Battle, but Mikaela was turned into a vampire. To save the "family," and to protect his fellow members, Yuichiro needed to gain knowledge and power. He searched for ways to bring back vampire to human beings, and at the same time, trained hard working on the Cursed Gear. Meanwhile, Kureto calls Guren and tells him a shocking truth: In one month, the main unit of the vampire will start attacking Tokyo. To get a head start against vampires, Kureto orders Guren to go to Nagoya. The noble extermination mission is about to open fire.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=17482

Next season, Seraph of the End: Battle in Nagoya, starts in about 3 weeks. Seems like we'll get more into the politics and a looks like there'll be quite a bit of internal military fighting.

But in the end, it's all about the return of Shinoa. Hope I'm not the only one following this when it returns.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-21-2015, 07:42 PM
Following Shinoa? I'm in.

Munsu
Sat, 10-10-2015, 11:19 PM
Here's the season 2 episode 1:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=742973

Will try watching it tomorrow.

Munsu
Sun, 10-11-2015, 09:05 PM
Well, just watched the first episode of season 2 and I have to say things started off in the right foot... with a Shinoa scene right off the bat.

Anyways, I thought this was a strong episode overall, things looking interesting with the different factions and alliances. I think this will be better than the first series once it's all said and done. Though I know I might be setting up myself for disappointment.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 10-11-2015, 09:44 PM
Shinoa stopped denying her feelings for the MC. I just hope it develops further.

It's hilarious when I can remember Shinoa's name but nobody else's, including the protagonist. Oh I remember Mika for some reason, but that's because it's such an odd name for a guy in anime.

Munsu
Sun, 10-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Shinoa stopped denying her feelings for the MC. I just hope it develops further.

It's hilarious when I can remember Shinoa's name but nobody else's, including the protagonist. Oh I remember Mika for some reason, but that's because it's such an odd name for a guy in anime.

Exactly the same happens to me, Shinoa and Mika... don't know the rest of the names.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-12-2015, 12:56 PM
Shi-no-a! Shi-no-a! Shi-no-a!

I'm totally a fan, if you havn't noticed. Smuggest (is that a word?) of all smug-faces.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-12-2015, 01:01 PM
Time to make a Shinoa sig set.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-12-2015, 01:07 PM
Easy!

edit: ah f** it, how does this site's signature even work?

I uploaded it and it's shown in the preview, but not here in the threads?

edit2: First episode was rather strong, can't say I disliked anything in particular.
I wish they'd focus more on the side characters at some point though. Would love to see more of the red-haired fistweapon girl and now that Hiiragi guard-girl that could be, by the looks, Mitsuba's sister.
I guess that's what LN are for, darn.
It's pretty cool that Yuu turned out to be more mature and calm lately, I like that kind of development.

Munsu
Mon, 10-12-2015, 05:02 PM
Easy!

edit: ah f** it, how does this site's signature even work?

I uploaded it and it's shown in the preview, but not here in the threads?

edit2: First episode was rather strong, can't say I disliked anything in particular.
I wish they'd focus more on the side characters at some point though. Would love to see more of the red-haired fistweapon girl and now that Hiiragi guard-girl that could be, by the looks, Mitsuba's sister.
I guess that's what LN are for, darn.
It's pretty cool that Yuu turned out to be more mature and calm lately, I like that kind of development.

First episode was more promising than almost everything that's coming out in Fall 2015, the season has been disappointingly underwhelming so far.

Munsu
Sat, 10-17-2015, 04:55 PM
Here's episode 2:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=745755

I saw this in the first episode, but I think this is the first time I've noticed Universal's intro in an anime, so that has me a bit curious.

Anyways, hope this episode continues what began with the previous one which looked promising.

KrayZ33
Wed, 10-21-2015, 03:15 PM
Ep2 was so much weaker :(

close to horrible even.
The demon submission stuff was so bad, they didn't even try (both, demons and the author/animator). It had zero impact... I still like the show and all but I'd like to express how boring that was and how easy it was for them to succeed. "Demons are cute girls too"

Bow-dude, while annoying, had a really cool looking skill.
And that sentence sums up this ep pretty well.

Oh, Vampire nobles where there too, at least that was interesting.

Munsu
Wed, 10-21-2015, 05:23 PM
Ep2 was so much weaker :(

close to horrible even.
The demon submission stuff was so bad, they didn't even try (both, demons and the author/animator). It had zero impact... I still like the show and all but I'd like to express how boring that was and how easy it was for them to succeed. "Demons are cute girls too"

Bow-dude, while annoying, had a really cool looking skill.
And that sentence sums up this ep pretty well.

Oh, Vampire nobles where there too, at least that was interesting.

Yeah, it was much weaker, but mostly because they're rehashing the whole dominating the demon thing we've already since once or twice now.

That said, they're still increasing the stakes with the vampire infighting as well and clarifying more the human experimentation and the role vampires played in it. So on that regard, the episode was still a plus for me more importantly when considering how weak the rest of the Fall season has been anime wise, so I'll take what I can.

I'm adopting my stance from a decade ago, not to overthink shit and just enjoy what I can. Else, there's nothing but shit to look forward to in anime when one starts to nitpick over every detail. So, after my hiatus, I'm just going to sit back and try to enjoy as much as I can and as much as I can tolerate.

But yeah, the whole "re-dominating" demon crap was boring as fuck.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 10-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Who are you guys kidding?

It was a much weaker episode because of the lack of Shinoa smugface.

Munsu
Wed, 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM
Who are you guys kidding?

It was a much weaker episode because of the lack of Shinoa smugface.

I'm living in denial.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-24-2015, 10:08 PM
Interestingly, Denyuuden's Kagami Takaya wrote (or at least was involved in writing) the manga source for this.

Munsu
Sat, 10-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Interestingly, Denyuuden's Kagami Takaya wrote (or at least was involved in writing) the manga source for this.

Yep, by the looks of it he's the creator and main story writer. He's the author of the novel as well, though manga looks to have come first.

Good catch. Maybe it puts into perspective the character Shinoa if he created her, considering Ferris from that series.

Anyways here's episode 3:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=748362

Still at the setting up stage, but really liked how the pieces are moving. Next couple of episodes should be action driven I think. Better than the 2nd episode at least, and still one of the few bright sides of this season.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-24-2015, 10:39 PM
I actually like the non-action parts of this show the most. The dialogues about schemes and plots are really well executed. The use of subtext is nice, and the characters that are supposed to be intelligent sound intelligent.

If only Yuu wasn't so gay... Shinoa needs some luvin'.

Munsu
Sat, 10-24-2015, 10:48 PM
I actually like the non-action parts of this show the most. The dialogues about schemes and plots are really well executed. The use of subtext is nice, and the characters that are supposed to be intelligent sound intelligent.

If only Yuu wasn't so gay... Shinoa needs some luvin'.

As much as I like action, I much prefer the political intrigues etc. Despite how I might rave about wanting action, it's the other aspects that interest me the most. The action though does allow to increase the entertainment quotient. Pure battle episodes don't do it for me either, like the latest Asterisk episode showed for example. At least it's not a given that it will.

But at the same time when you have an action series at hand with characters meant for action, then it would be nice to see some of that more frequently. And of course, not all action need be battles. I very much enjoyed all the altercations in the first episode. We'll be four episodes in next week, so I think we're due for some serious fighting.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 10-24-2015, 11:01 PM
This show has always moderately sucked in the action department. Everything else is pretty top notch, though.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-01-2015, 02:26 PM
EP 16

The mock battle was pretty cool, it was pretty weird that they didn't use their infernal arms though... Even Gurren did use his, while Yuu and DualSwords didn't bother being more than a swordsmen.

Got to see more of Mito, that's always a plus.
Action this time around was pretty good. Miss Smug kinda deserverd what was said about her considering what she did this time around. This was clearly not the time to fool around.
Yuu seems to turn into the most reasonable person in their team, aside from Dualswords. Bow-kid is pretty usefull lately.

And yes, I really remember Mito's name but not Dualswords and Bow-kid's. I can't help but dislike Dualswords for his weapons, they look ugly :/.
That being said, I wonder why there is no Carbine/Assaulr Rifle-Demon Weapon and only Swords and other, rather old, weaponry like single shot rifles, spears and such.
Would be cool to have some guys shooting demon enhanced bullets into Vampires while they move around the battlefield, possesed by demons with superspeed and strengths... preferably with some kind of modern-soldier outfit, but I guess that's just me wanting things to be tacticool / MGS-Skull soldiers.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-01-2015, 03:13 PM
This episode was hilarious. Shinoa's trolling, which was absolutely brilliant, actually led to real consequences, though in the end no one died or anything. I really like how the comedy was integrated into the story development.

Mika is like the most hypocritical bastard in this story. He doesn't want to drink human blood but easily watches other vampires chow down on kids. If his goal is to save Yuu, he should stop being so picky and drink so he can power up enough to wipe off the smug grin on Guren's face. Only cute semi-lolis can get away with smugface.

Munsu
Mon, 11-02-2015, 09:07 PM
This episode was hilarious. Shinoa's trolling, which was absolutely brilliant, actually led to real consequences, though in the end no one died or anything. I really like how the comedy was integrated into the story development.

Mika is like the most hypocritical bastard in this story. He doesn't want to drink human blood but easily watches other vampires chow down on kids. If his goal is to save Yuu, he should stop being so picky and drink so he can power up enough to wipe off the smug grin on Guren's face. Only cute semi-lolis can get away with smugface.

Agree with most of this. I don't get Mika at all, trying to hold the moral high-ground by not drinking himself, but allowing everyone else to perpetrate countless atrocities.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Episode 17

They managed to get the action done properly, Yoichi's bow is really awesome, his Demonskills look amazing.
Really dissapointed about Yuu and Dual-Swords not showing there demon weaponskills again.

I'm not a fan of that sword/old western showdown scene in general and I wish they would stop using it in every fighting or combat anime ever.
It's so boring, show us how he managed to beat superspeed noble with a quick block and slash or something, everything is cooler and more intense/entertaining than watching 2 guys passing each other and staying back to back until one of the two collapses.

The noble they killed was probably one of the weaker ones, but it made the vampire faction look really weak imho. Yet as an enemy, he looked and acted pretty cool - I liked it.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-08-2015, 07:28 PM
Parts of the fight were pretty stupid. Some off the top of my head:
1) Chaining a vamp that has two swords sticking out of his chest. They should've had Yuu or someone who can injure the vamp just cut him instead of doing a chant.
2) Chaining the arm. Why the hell not the neck or leg?
3) This needs to be repeated: Dat stupid sword duel ender.
4) All that fucking shouting about killing the enemy while fighting. Don't these guys know those are fail flags?
5) Openly discussing strategy in front of the enemy in a loud voice.
6) People standing around and gazing at each other during combat for no particular reason.

KrayZ33
Mon, 11-09-2015, 12:38 PM
When did 6) happen?

Agree on 2) though I thought it probably because he can't really choose what to bind, or it's limited to the power of the opponent (shikamaru style).
1) was probably so Yuu and Squadcaptain No.2 were actually able to get the hit in. Yuu's demon weapon was the only one strong enough to curse the vampire after all. The other ones didn't do much more than normal swords.
4) was okay for me too because they never stopped moving while doing it. So it's wasn't like they wasted time announcing... well maybe the vampire did at first, but when he realized that they were dangerous, he stopped playing with them and got more serious.
5) didn't really happen either. Luring him in worked because the taunt was effective enough (and reasonable too), the vampire knew what he was getting into. (see Sqd.Cpt.No.2's comment about how he would already be dead if the vampire would let them do that)

shinta|hikari
Mon, 11-09-2015, 08:55 PM
You are too used to bad action anime if you missed any of those 6. I was being generous when I listed them.

1) That's my point. If only black weapon users can kill a noble, then attack him with said weapon while he is skewered. Instead, they had a guy chant for 6 seconds (yeah, I checked) to tie up the enemy's hand. If Yuu could teleport to save Shinoa from friendly fire (13:49), he could slash the noble's chest in 6 friggin seconds.

4) But Yuu did stop moving. He was literally standing still when he said it, and THEN attacked (13:06), but I'll let that slide because it was the start of the fight. What really made me cringe was what happened after.

Shinoa attacked the enemy from behind while declaring her attack (13:33). WTF is the point? Then the leader of the other team did the exact same thing while saying "Checkmate," (13:43) AND THEN the vampire did the exact same thing to Yuu (13:53) but this time even going into lengthy explanation. Why the hell do they keep going behind the enemy if they are going to announce their attack before they actually do it?

5) Happened and is directly related to 6) (14:56 to 15:43). The group was talking about what they will do next (Yuu even sheathed his blade for crying out loud) and the vampire conveniently watched them, instead of you know, taking advantage of their discussion time by attacking, fleeing or retrieving his arm.

I bet vampires have enhanced hearing (like they have enhanced everything), but even if they didn't, the noble was close enough to hear the entire luring discussion. These guys were talking pretty loud while setting a trap for an enemy with pointy ears.

I'm not saying this fight was especially bad by anime standards (some are worse), but after reading my elaboration above, you have to admit those parts are pretty damn stupid.

My biggest problem with crap like this is that they are easily fixable. I can easily rewrite that entire fight to be more logical and believable.

A simple example for items 5 and 6 would be to have some of the members distract the noble while they come up with a strategy, and to discuss said strategy with hushed voices.

Another would be to skip the 6 second chant and go directly into the execution of the chain spell, thus eliminating the weird time lag where Yuu could've attacked the noble instead. A simple 2 second comment about the spell only being able to target the arm would've been a welcome addition too. They could do it when they were just standing around watching the vampire lop off his own arm, or right after that.

And STOP ANNOUNCING YOUR SNEAK ATTACKS.

KrayZ33
Tue, 11-10-2015, 03:57 PM
4) But Yuu did stop moving. He was literally standing still when he said it, and THEN attacked (13:06), but I'll let that slide because it was the start of the fight. What really made me cringe was what happened after.

13:06 is shinoa's scythe getting grabbed in my version

but before that Yuu charged in saying "dieeeee"... he didn't stand still other than the exact moment where the noble appeared.

Shinoa attacked the enemy from behind while declaring her attack (13:33). WTF is the point? Then the leader of the other team did the exact same thing while saying "Checkmate," (13:43) AND THEN the vampire did the exact same thing to Yuu (13:53) but this time even going into lengthy explanation. Why the hell do they keep going behind the enemy if they are going to announce their attack before they actually do it?

thats such a small issue... when I'm playing paintball I sometimes catch myself doing it - it's cool and fun (mostly because shooting from that range fucking hurts and you shouldn't do it)
they didn't stop and "talk", all they did is saying some cool line while charging/hitting him, mid-swing even.

Sure thing, you could have everyone be quite and say "hnng, HAAA huuuu" but that's boring to watch (over a longer period of time). You gotta mix that up. Just like they did here... of course, too much talking is a no-go too.
It's not like it's an "anime only" thing, this is common in bond, fantasy and superhero movies alike.

And in Anime world. They say these things faster than it looks. record your voice and speed it up 4x... thats how fast they'd say it if it was real, unless they know how to float mid air or hover on the ground while sliding to the side.
Same goes for the binding and shit.

I mean, the only reason why you have an issue with this might be because the attacks didn't connect, but I doubt it had anything to do with them "announcing" their attacks - which is why I do not think it's a big deal, really. It was rather obvious to me that it all happened due to the difference in skill.

A simple example for items 5 and 6 would be to have some of the members distract the noble while they come up with a strategy, and to discuss said strategy with hushed voices.

I wouldn't like that, it's not a freaking football match. Orders are screamed during battle.

edit: just to make sure my position is understood

Do I prefer tag-team combos like in Yozakura Quartet Hana no Uta - 07 over this (after MC got stabbed)? Yes

But I don't think it's that much of a big deal because it's not only that I've seen *much* worse, but also because it was done in a "reserved" way and manner, the flow wasn't interrupted and the fight choreography was smooth overall. All is fine... there is always a better way to do things, but this is clearly above average in (shounen) Anime, and decent enough to enjoy in general.
The best way to describe it is when I'm looking at how he blocked/avoided Shinoa+Trident guy, I didn't think it was because they made too much noise/wasted too much time, but rather because the vampire is a lot stronger, experienced and faster than all of them.

I small detail I enjoyed watching was how the Noble clashed swords and his stance while doing so, whether it's realistic or not doesn't matter too much for me, but it was really cool to look at.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 11-10-2015, 07:18 PM
About 5, I don't even understand what you are saying. They weren't ordering each other. They were clearly discussing and planning in secret.

About 4, you missed my point. Don't declare your sneak attack, period.

So basically, you're saying parts of it suck but I shouldn't pay too much attention to it.

That's been my stance all along.

KrayZ33
Wed, 11-11-2015, 11:51 AM
5: The plan wasn't even discussed either, "You have a plan?" "Do it".
He didn't say anything like "I am now going to taunt the vampire into our formation with this taunt of mine, watch out mr. vampire, you'll not be able to resist my super-taunts!" And even if he did, the result would've been the same, his life as a noble without a 2nd arm is probably not possible anyway.

Before that, all they did was along the lines of "don't lose formation, stay sharp, remember your objective, it's not going to be easy". That's called communication imho.

4:
I'm not saying it sucks, you say it sucks. I'm fine with them announcing it, because it didn't matter plotwise and was purely for cinematic effects. Thats not the reason why the vampire was able to deflect their attacks. Whether you scream from swinging your huge sword or say something instead of grunting - what's the difference? The vampire knew it all along, he dodged 2-sword's sneak attack too after all.
He even said so himself...or rather implied it when he told them that Yuu was his target from the beginning.

As mentioned, absolutely not a big deal, because the flow of the fight was never interrupted, plot and screen/narrative duration was clearly distinguishable too.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-11-2015, 12:07 PM
Before that, all they did was along the lines of "don't lose formation, stay sharp, remember your objective, it's not going to be easy". That's called communication imho.

Except that's not all that was said. Shinoa even shouted that they should stop the noble there because he might join the other nobles who were also being attacked.

Good job telling the enemy the entire plan.

I'm fine with them announcing it, because it didn't matter.

How would you know this? What if they didn't shout, or grunt, or produce any tell tale sound when attacking? Maybe the vampire would've been hit, maybe not. The funny thing is, he got stabbed in the back by 2 people when they didn't announce it.

But in the end, that isn't the point. You don't announce sneak attacks. Why the hell would you do so?

As mentioned, absolutely not a big deal, because the flow of the fight was never interrupted, plot and screen/narrative duration was clearly distinguishable too.

When did I ever say it's a big deal? I just said those parts suck. It doesn't make this show bad or anything.

EDIT: I noticed that your arguments are based on the results, like, "Even if they did change that part, it would've ended the same." I think that's why we are disagreeing. I couldn't care less how it would result. I'm talking about execution and avoiding odd sequences that will allow the viewer to question it. Proper execution makes it very hard to point out stuff like this. That fight made it very, very easy for me.

KrayZ33
Wed, 11-11-2015, 12:41 PM
But in the end, that isn't the point. You don't announce sneak attacks. Why the hell would you do so?

Because when I do it while my sword/dagger is already on it's way into your back, there is no way you can react in time anyway and it raises my level of badassery beyond that of someone not looking at explosions.

edit: if you want, we can also talk about why Yuu didn't run faster than cars during the fight even though he proved that he can, or why the noble didn't use his teleportation-speed to instagib anyone.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-11-2015, 04:12 PM
I actually noticed those but didn't point them out. I just chalked it up to bad direction. Like I said, I don't really feel that strongly about these issues. I'm only talking about them because you are.

Because when I do it while my sword/dagger is already on it's way into your back, there is no way you can react in time anyway.

An assumption, and in most cases, a wrong one. Even the fight we are talking about disproves your statement. Like I said, the vampire actually got stabbed in the back when they didn't announce it. That was really funny.

KrayZ33
Wed, 11-11-2015, 05:45 PM
edit: ugh well, whatever.

Just one thing, it should've been impossible to sneak up on him in the first place, since he can feel the intent to kill from miles away (tower scene)

Superpowers (and that includes superspeed, the sixth sense and able to dodge stuff comming from behind in less than 0,00x seconds) sure are inconsistent. Just look at how Yuu was able to get his hit in.
*THATS* announcing an attack from behind (screaming and shouting before he even went in), and it's the killing blow of all things.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Just one thing, it should've been impossible to sneak up on him in the first place, since he can feel the intent to kill from miles away (tower scene)

But he still got stabbed from behind. By two people no less.

Power inconsistencies in this show are pretty big, but I don't really watch this for logical fights. I generally prefer the dialog and smugface parts much more. If they cut out all the action scenes, I would still enjoy this show to the same, or even greater degree.

KrayZ33
Sun, 11-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Woah, the fighting was so bad this time around (it's more of a suprise if its good in this show, but still)
That scene when Gurren got blocked mid air and got "stuck" in that pose. *shudder*

Pretty boring episode. The fighting was bad, which means it needs to have some interesting story-plots, but since they weren't any in this episode - it was a waste of time.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-22-2015, 11:10 AM
The clincher for bad fighting was the "Checkmate" announced sneak attack again.

Another funny thing was how they seemed to hardly remember who Crowley was. The guy and his minions almost killed all of them without dropping a sweat. I'd think they'd at least talk about the guy a couple of times between now and then, you know, to plan about how to deal with him in a future encounter (like this episode).

But the worst part was the Shinoa art. WTF was wrong with her face this episode. It was like she was having convulsions or seizures.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 11-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Guessing next week Yuu goes all Seraph on them.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 11-22-2015, 05:47 PM
I actually love berserk scenes, but he better not go touching Shinoa again. This story needs more Krul.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 11-23-2015, 10:11 AM
Agreed, more Krul would be nice.

Munsu
Thu, 05-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Well, just managed to finish this up.

In all I enjoyed the fuck out of this anime for some reason, despite all it's flaws. Story went all Berserk on us at the end there, still not sure what they were trying to accomplish and more importantly, why did it have to be accomplished in this manner.

My biggest complaint in this second season was that Shinoa's character was ruined a bit. But she's still one of my favorite characters in all anime regardless, but she was better in the first season.

Don't think we'll get more of this anime since it's all caught up to the manga as it is. Maybe in the far future, but I simply don't envision it.

One thing though, not sure what was the importance of that "It's going to rain" scene as Yu went into the sea. Not sure what I missed, if anything.

In all, despite being aware that this isn't all that good of an anime all told, it's certainly of the strongest series in the 2015 Fall in my opinion. I guess it says something of how much of a disappointment that particular season was anime wise for me.

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-05-2016, 03:12 AM
Ya but then again, didn't Gundam: Blood Orphans air during fall 2015? I believe that was a much, much better show than the second seaons of Seraph. Of course there was One Punch too.

Fall felt like: (good)Gundam + One Punch ----- huge gap ----- rest.(mediocre+bad)

Munsu
Thu, 05-05-2016, 07:32 AM
Ya but then again, didn't Gundam: Blood Orphans air during fall 2015? I believe that was a much, much better show than the second seaons of Seraph. Of course there was One Punch too.

Fall felt like: (good)Gundam + One Punch ----- huge gap ----- rest.(mediocre+bad)

Well... I didn't say it was the strongest, but among them. But yes, indeed a gap between the top ones and this one for certain. Still I'd probably put it among the top 5 give or take.

I haven't seen Gundam though yet, but plan to soon as I've heard good things about it. Overall I was highly disappointed with that Fall season, I was really excited for it, looked like it was going to be a good one for me but most of the series I was looking forward to disappointed me greatly.

I still think Owari no Seraph is better than it's given credit for generally. Far from perfect, hesitate to call it good per se, but somehow it has plenty of elements that worked for me. But whatever.

KrayZ33
Thu, 05-05-2016, 08:28 AM
I liked the whole Human with Demon Support vs Vampire setting too. I was disappointed in most of the fighting and it got really awkward during the end. All the sheming wasn't explained well either, which was a let down for me, because I liked what I saw in the beginning.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-05-2016, 08:48 AM
It's typical for this author's works. He also wrote Denyuuden, and that ended up the same way. So did Apocalypse Alice.

MFauli
Wed, 09-18-2019, 03:51 PM
Episode 3:

So Mika is 'alive'. I wonder how. Sure, his head wasn't smashed in episode 1, but he was severely wounded and a child. Even if he was turned into.a vampire, he wouldn't grow, right? Weird.

Weirder even is that he's called Mikaera. That's the Japanese version of the European (German?) name Michaela, which is the FEMALE form of Michael. Oh well ... Japan.