PDA

View Full Version : Rokka no Yuusha: Braves of the Six Flowers

neflight86
Sun, 07-12-2015, 07:52 PM

"When the Majin awoke from the depths of darkness, the deity of fate chose six heroes and bequeathed them with the power to save the world. Adlet Maia, a boy who proclaims himself the strongest on Earth, has been selected among the Rokka no Yuusha (Heroes of the Six Flowers), and he goes to the rendezvous point — but seven have gathered there. The heroes suspect that someone among the seven is the enemy, and the initial suspicion falls on Adlet.

Source: ANN"

HorribleSubs Ep01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=707951)
HorribleSubs Ep02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=710636)

It's off to a good start. The early character building will hopefully pay dividends later in the story as the interactions and motives of the braves become more complex. Average animation quality and is avoiding of the most typical tropes that make me gloss over fantasy anime. I expect this to become worth discussing in the near future. Also, bonus points for any kind of musket!

Kraco
Mon, 07-13-2015, 02:54 AM
This looks immediately better for me with the new girl. I don't hate the bunny girl, but this new one seems more interesting. The knight, or whatever he was, blaming the new musket girl for the hero killings was also a sign of a good plot. Now we don't know if it's really her or if the dude is just shifting the blame on her, with chances being he's in fact the killer. Either one would work for me. I'm also wondering if the extra hero (in the description, and likely meaning the hero killer) might not still be a hero after a fashion, only not chosen by the good gods to fight the demons, but by the demon king to fight the other humans.

NeoCybercoin
Mon, 07-13-2015, 09:55 AM
Did they say if those Heroes went looking for her or the other way around? If they went looking for her she could have killed them because she didn't want to have anything to do with defeating the evil and possibly dying herself. Preemptive self defense XD

Kraco
Mon, 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM
Considering she killed lots of demons, whose corpses Adlet saw while walking around the town, I'd say she's not against fighting the evil. Of course that doesn't mean what you said couldn't be correct otherwise. She might be killing everything that gets in her way, good and bad alike. It's also possible she was being targeted by the hero killer, unsuccessfully, and she had to keep slaying henchmen and such. Or perhaps the hero killer spread lies about her, and real heroes went after her, believing those lies. After all, the bunny princess might do the same thing now after what the new dude told her.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 07-13-2015, 11:29 AM
Underboob.

Kraco
Sun, 07-19-2015, 10:48 AM
Episode 3 - HS

- - - - - - -

As expected, the kuudere girl with glorious underboob seems very much worth conquering. Good thing the MC is such a jolly fellow he insist of persevering to see it done. I'm beginning to think the new dude Goldov might not actually be an evil man trying to get rid of Flamie but rather a really serious and suspicious one, and thus exceptionally prone to getting a wrong impression or listening to false rumours. Nevertheless, it's obvious Flamie herself recognizes her own infamy and undoubtedly has greeted people before with her rifle, just like she did Adlet. Maybe Goldov himself tried to approach her and she chased him away violently, thus giving an impression she's the hero killer. But who knows. Sometimes a guilty looking really is guilty.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-19-2015, 12:54 PM
This show is awesome so far. Really enjoying it.

What are the odds that fortress gets wiped out and Adlet has to go push the button? 99.9%? lol

Munsu
Fri, 07-24-2015, 09:05 AM
A little slow developing, but I'm enjoying this.

Not really much of a fan of any character at this point, there's a bit of inconsistency with them, but we'll see. The action has been enjoyable though.

neflight86
Sat, 07-25-2015, 09:35 PM
EP 4 is out

We finally have all of the heroes assembled; some with more development than others, but none above suspicion! I expect both the revelation of the fake and the reasoning behind their ability to be so will lynch-pin my personal satisfaction with this show, when all is said and done. Also, major animation quality dip this episode (Dat Zoom) that makes me hope they are saving up for a lot of choreographed fighting, instead of making up for the earlier episodes. Unfortunately, the 3d scenes were almost nauseating to watch due to the low cell count of the 2d animation in them... the director should have waited until he had the budget available to animate ambitious scenes like that.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM
While they're obviously going to suspect Flamie (because of what she has done) or Adlet because he's the Saint of nothing and not a particularly noteworthy warrior, I'd actually put my suspicion on Bunny-hime.

She's a liar, through and through.

- She was toying with Adlet pretending to be a handmaiden just to talk to him and be entertained.
- She's either a worse fighter against fiends than the other six, or fakes it while in front of Adlet to get him to become attached to her.
- The whole scene when Goldov shows up, her demeanor changes instantly, becoming a lot less flippant. She's been putting on a show for the others who don't have her absolute loyalty.

It's definitely not because she's an enemy spy. My guess is because she wants to be do something interesting, and be eternally famous. Its one thing to be Bunny-hime, the strongest fighter in the kingdom. It's another to be The Brave and Beautiful Bunny-hime, one of the Six Braves.

She's indulging in selfishness. She's also in the position has a high ranking princess to have her flower brand faked, like a tattoo or whatever. She could have had it for months before they were actually granted, and no one would know because no one would demand a princess reveal her chest outside of her trusted handmaidens.

The viewers know Adlet is above suspicion because we saw the brand granted to him.

Munsu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 08:09 AM
While they're obviously going to suspect Flamie (because of what she has done) or Adlet because he's the Saint of nothing and not a particularly noteworthy warrior, I'd actually put my suspicion on Bunny-hime.

She's a liar, through and through.

- She was toying with Adlet pretending to be a handmaiden just to talk to him and be entertained.
- She's either a worse fighter against fiends than the other six, or fakes it while in front of Adlet to get him to become attached to her.
- The whole scene when Goldov shows up, her demeanor changes instantly, becoming a lot less flippant. She's been putting on a show for the others who don't have her absolute loyalty.

It's definitely not because she's an enemy spy. My guess is because she wants to be do something interesting, and be eternally famous. Its one thing to be Bunny-hime, the strongest fighter in the kingdom. It's another to be The Brave and Beautiful Bunny-hime, one of the Six Braves.

She's indulging in selfishness. She's also in the position has a high ranking princess to have her flower brand faked, like a tattoo or whatever. She could have had it for months before they were actually granted, and no one would know because no one would demand a princess reveal her chest outside of her trusted handmaidens.

The viewers know Adlet is above suspicion because we saw the brand granted to him.

I then ask, wouldn't the "fake" one be the same one that activated the barrier? If that's the case, I think it means that none of the original four should be a fake I'd say... if we work under the assumption of sabotage within their ranks, which might not be the case with the 7th Brave as you mention.

We'll see.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:22 AM
If we work under the assumption of sabotage in their ranks, you could also put Bunny-hime in as a suspect because her panicked flailing broke one of the stones, potentially locking them in there. She may have had a human subordinate activate the barrier once they were all within. She's a decent enough actress to pull off that little hissy fit performance.

However, I felt that her panic was genuine. Being trapped kind of ruins a plan to gain fame.

I agree that if there isn't another layer to this and the 7th really is just a traitor, there is a decent likelihood that one of them could even be a fiend now that we've seen they can assume human form. In that case, with each one eventually demonstrating a supernatural feat, if one of them refuses to use their vaunted Saint power, they'd be the prime suspect for an imposter. In my mind, this removes suspicion on the frog girl, since she was ready to kill Flamie in the middle of the temple using her power until she was stopped. Assuming traitors, I'd put cat-boy and the mountain priestess as the lead suspects for an imposter-traitor.

I suppose we don't really have enough info to start to guess at who the fake would be if they really are a traitor. I just like the idea that there isn't a traitor and the imposter's desire to be a hero are genuine.

David75
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:35 AM
I don't remember Goldov having a special power, in the four we know of.
Having the intruder in the newcomers would be a bit bland, because we know nothing of them yet.
And as you said, the 7th one might be an impostor, but not necessarily a threat to the other six.
Should we really exclude Adlet? He's a clever fighter... but is always declaring he's the strongest man. A bit suspicious. I don't remember the scene when he gets his mark, making him a genuine.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Should we really exclude Adlet? He's a clever fighter... but is always declaring he's the strongest man. A bit suspicious. I don't remember the scene when he gets his mark, making him a genuine.
First episode, 18:22 through 19:07. His right as one of the braves is fairly indisputable. Unlike all the others who's selection we didn't see.

The reason he declares himself the strongest in the world and fights the way he does is explicitly so he could be chosen. His master trained him to kill fiends. He uses specific weapons and tactics against specific fiends, as shown in the subsequent episodes. Adlet is trained as a demon slayer.

The awakening was sufficiently obvious to the continent such that Bunny-hime could determine that now is the time to reveal her "selection" as well.

Munsu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 12:00 PM
First episode, 18:22 through 19:07. His right as one of the braves is fairly indisputable. Unlike all the others who's selection we didn't see.

The reason he declares himself the strongest in the world and fights the way he does is explicitly so he could be chosen. His master trained him to kill fiends. He uses specific weapons and tactics against specific fiends, as shown in the subsequent episodes. Adlet is trained as a demon slayer.

The awakening was sufficiently obvious to the continent such that Bunny-hime could determine that now is the time to reveal her "selection" as well.

Other than the Saints and the use of their powers (females), we haven't seen any gains from the being chosen as a Brave power wise right?

Like all these characters are all fighting the same whether chosen as a Brave or not, so I wonder if we'll get to the point in which powers are revealed and if that happens, how it'll change on who we suspect or not. But if the Brave is a female, they can hide behind their Sainthood powers.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 07-26-2015, 03:07 PM
Flamie is the real deal as well as Adlet. I mean Flamie did create a bullet in this episode at 10:15 so she does have a power. Bunny has her power as well. Adlet...well.. he has skills but we saw him get chosen. However I do not trust Goldov. His desire to help/defend the princess may be real but I think he pretends to be a Brave just so he could be near her. Don't know enough bout those 3 new ones. Hans seems too obvious to be it. Maura and Chamot seem to be real to me. So I'm going for Goldov.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 03:26 PM
I do not believe Bunny-hime's powers are indicative of being a brave. In fact, none of the power are.

I mentioned them before only because a fiend disguised as a famous brave would not display a particular supernatural power like Bunny-hime's, Flamie's or the frog girl. The ability to use a power only ensures they are not a fiend in disguise.

Judging by her reputation as the 2nd strongest fighter in the entirety of her nation behind Goldov, this leads me to believe that though her abilities are the real deal, her abilities are natural and not the result of being potentially chosen as a brave.

I'm sticking with the idea that the, "7th brave must be a traitor!" concept is pure misdirection. Whoever the unchosen fake is, their goals are genuine.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 07-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Hey, that young one might have gotten her Brave 'status' from an older generation if such a thing is even possible. There might not be a traitor or fake at all. They've always said 6 were chosen by the Goddess. Maybe when an older one died he/she could have somehow transferred it to someone else so that way the Chosen Brave would have died but the mark would still be on the receiver? I dunno just throwing it out there

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-26-2015, 04:26 PM
Why can't fiends have superpowers? That seems like an arbitrary distinction.
I also don't think the superpowers have anything to do with being chosen or not. There appear to be multiple generations of people with superpowers between the hundreds of years when the braves are needed.

I agree that the 7th brave is probably not a traitor and almost certainly didn't trigger the trap.

Nashetania (sp?) does seem like most likely to have faked being a brave. Her motive would be seeking out thrills and adventure. Her power is kind of amazing, but she doesn't seem super competent. This also explains why she super freaked out when they were trapped, as this prevents her adventure.
Adlet, Goldof, and Flamie have all kind of proven their skills in combat, so it makes sense they were all chosen.

The 3 new people are pretty much unknowns at this point. Seems unlikely they would be fake, but they could be a traitor.
In fact, I think the traitor has to be among them, since Goldof/Nashe/Flamie were all together when the trap was triggered and we followed Adlet.
I suppose most suspicious is the tiny boy?/girl? Chamot, especially if the other 2 were together.

I suppose we could also have a Gilgamesh situation here, as well.

fireheart
Sun, 07-26-2015, 06:13 PM
I'm not sure but it kinda seemed like the only thing the seal of the brave granted was immunity to that mist thing that would otherwise kill anyone that enters the area where the demon king lives. So unless the traitor is a fiend they should die after entering the demon land.

Kraco
Mon, 07-27-2015, 08:08 AM
I'd say anybody who simply got killed by Flamie would have been no good for the mission anyway. She's tough, but not that tough, and not nearly evil enough.

Like fireheart said, simply faking to be a brave would amount to nothing since entering the demon land kills common people. So, there has to be something more to it, unless the fake brave's goal was already reached. So, it's either a fiend in disguise (maybe a fiend that's wearing a skin suit of a brave, like the cockroach alien in MIB), or a person who made a deal with the demon king. I bet the demon king could grant somebody a copy of a tattoo and the ability to stand the miasma. In fact when Adlet got his mark, a thought visited me that it wasn't genuine but the demon king chose him for some reason. He's easy to fool, as we have seen, so he might be a tool without knowing it himself. The process kind of looked too pretty and thus suspicious.

Kraco
Sat, 08-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Episode 5 - HS

- -- - --

This is actually quite a nicely written situation. A bunch of them shows signs that could be suspicious. Poor Adlet got pushed against the wall by somebody who's actually using his brain. It's a match he can't win. Considering how willingly he has stood up to help others, you'd think Flamie or Bunny would return the favour. Clearly those two would have better working minds. Unless Bunny is guilty, of course, and not in a benevolent way like Ryll suggested. I don't want to think it's Flamie, as she's the cutest and most interesting of the girls, but I would have liked to hear her story till the end.

Logically speaking it should be Chamot. She's behaving like a fiend already, wanting to immediately slay Flamie no questions asked and now even wanting to try some torturing. She also conveniently happened to slay the mimic fiend. But like I said, she's not the only one showing suspicious signs. I'm sure there could be some out of the box explanations as well.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 08-01-2015, 04:45 PM
I like how Flamie quickly turned it on Maura by saying she could have just as easily lied because nobody seems to doubt her. They all know Maura's name but have they seen her before? Yes she is with Chamot but it could just as easily be some kind of hostage situation behind the scenes.

I find that the bunny princess is acting more and more strange. First she almost collapsed and then tried to get Adlet on her side some more but acting all cute like that.

So far I think Goldov and the Bunny are suspicious. Bunny for mentioned reasons and Goldov because he really wants to be with the Princess. Maybe enough to fake being a Brave just to be by her side,

Munsu
Sat, 08-01-2015, 07:09 PM
I think everyone is innocent. I think the dual heritage of Flamie is enough of a variable for the allowance of an additional Brave.

So I think the threat, at least this current one, is from someone outside this group.

Kraco
Sun, 08-02-2015, 01:53 AM
I think everyone is innocent. I think the dual heritage of Flamie is enough of a variable for the allowance of an additional Brave.

The longer they keep up this closed room mystery, the better we get to know the characters, and unless one of them is really annoying, it wouldn't anymore be too shounen-esque to get rid of one of them. I'm kind of divided between wanting it to be one of them and hoping for a really innovative third option.

David75
Sun, 08-02-2015, 02:25 AM
Nice one Munsu. Flamie being partly a Demon now, she might be the reason we have a seventh one.
So it might be there are no intruders after all... or more than one.
Another idea could be the goddess herself, she's the seventh character of the legend after all.

Kraco
Sun, 08-02-2015, 03:15 AM
So, what's the point of activating the barrier? It was done on purpose to make them go through this trial, to get stronger as a group? Or fail horribly as braves.

Edort4
Sun, 08-02-2015, 06:07 PM
This whole thing got me off guard. I really thought that Adlet wasnt chosen by the goddess, basically due to how he "cheats" his powers and that nightmare he had just when the sign appeared in his hand. He was so anxious to be one of the braves that the demon god took advantage of him in some way to destabilize the other 6 heroes even without him knowing it. Some kind of momentary possesions or dual personalities.

That would explain why when we "hear" his thoughts there is no evidence of him doing "evil" things and his version of "reality" (what we see happening) is altered or missing bits. But if that was the case then the only way to break the barrier should be to have him killed or if he lifts it... showing the rest of the braves that he lied and he is a false brave. The way the narration has gone has put me on a no exit road if he was the fake.... unless we are facing a bad cheating writer with deus ex machinas all over the place.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 08-03-2015, 04:42 AM
Adlet should not be the 7th. If he is, then this isn't even a mystery, just a thriller that isn't really worth discussing. That would be the most disappointing option.
Assuming this is an actual mystery, then Adlet plays the role of the "detective" and we can trust what we've seen through him.

While Nashetania has been pretty sketchy so far, I have to wonder if these are just red herrings.

The important thing to figure out here is, who could have possibly triggered the trap?
I think there are only really 3 options here:
Maura, Chamot, and Hans. Each of them enters the temple separately after the event.
We see Adelt's viewpoint, and Flamie/Goldov/Nashe were all together beforehand and all enter together. They don't mention splitting up or anything.

Anyone could have hidden inside the temple and exited while Adlet had his back turned after fighting the magic armor. On rewatching, it would have been trivial, and this is in no way a closed room.
To trigger the trap, you had to have been inside, and put the sword in, and had your hand on the tablet, and said the words. It couldn't have been Nashe remotely controlling a sword.

Regarding Chamot, while he/she is quick to want to kill, Flamie did try to kill him/her. You can't blame him/her too much for that.

I think Maura is pretty sketchy for having the key.
Hans claiming the door can't be closed after being opened is pretty weird. Like, how would you ever close the door? If that really were true, someone would have needed to sneak inside magically to trigger the trap.

I just don't think we have enough info to narrow down who it is at this point.

Kraco
Mon, 08-03-2015, 05:43 AM
Hans claiming the door can't be closed after being opened is pretty weird. Like, how would you ever close the door? If that really were true, someone would have needed to sneak inside magically to trigger the trap.

He's just really good at speaking and using his brain, unlike the idiot Adlet. That's why I said I hope someone speaks for Adlet, just like he has helped others. If somebody just said aloud that Adlet is too stupid to be working against them, they could all have a good laugh and move on to the next suspect.

Edort4
Mon, 08-03-2015, 06:41 AM
I have read several novels or short-novels where actually the principal detective (or 1st person narrator of the story) is the killer/criminal. Its cheesy but still gives room enough for mystery+detective scheme only becoming thriller as the revelations come but yeah I to doubt that this is the case and thats why I said that unless i am missing something my whole idea about adlet-demonic possession is doomed by this.

Also in ep4 Adlet, Goldov and Naschetania tried to release the barrier in different ways. I hate simple explanations (when we talk about motivations, not mechanics) and so Im going with the new theory that one of them, possibly Maura that has the key, lots of knowledge and was suppossed to be there waiting for all the braves, activated the barrier the moment she saw that there were 7 ppl there. Maybe she even had some info beforehand about who were this generations Braves and that something was wrong/strange.

So in some kind of preventive way she set this "prison" up trying to unmask the supposedly fake one.

Munsu
Sat, 08-08-2015, 11:52 PM
Episode 6:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=720962

Kraco
Sun, 08-09-2015, 01:37 AM
That was sort of a pitiful ending to the mystery. But on the other hand it looks like the brainless Adlet couldn't do anything to defend himself against the accusations of a professional murderer (it's doubly pitiful that dude was apparently the more credible of the two). But it can't be helped when Adlet doesn't have the wits to defend himself verbally even on the most basic level. Bunny princess doesn't make much of an ally. One can assume she never needed to argue with anybody, being a princess. Since it has come to this, I hope blood will flow soon. Preferably lots of it. I want to see Hans, Chamot, and Maura dead. In fact I don't really care as long as Flamie lives (and Adlet to make a couple with her).

fireheart
Sun, 08-09-2015, 05:26 AM
Thinking about it isn't the whole thing pointless? Didn't Maura say that the person that activated the barrier could deactivate it, so there's probably a procedure for it hence if everyone does that procedure there's no reason to point fingers at anyone.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-09-2015, 06:22 AM
Locked Room mysteries are fucking terrible, but Japan seems to love them.

I'm really disappointed this series has turned into one. This is the same kind of thing that bogged down and ultimately ruined Umineko. Going around and around in circles and not getting anywhere. This episode could have been 5 minutes long and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Edort4
Sun, 08-09-2015, 04:38 PM
Thinking about it isn't the whole thing pointless? Didn't Maura say that the person that activated the barrier could deactivate it, so there's probably a procedure for it hence if everyone does that procedure there's no reason to point fingers at anyone.

I thought the same during thw whole episode 5 and 6. In episode 4 adlet, gold and tania tried different ways of lifting the barrier. Adlet even cut himself and showered the altar with blood. No1, not even him, said nothing about this. I guess that the (cheap) answer could be that you need to desire (in your inner thoughts that no one can reach) the barrier to be released even if you do the "ritual". Bullshit situations can always be explained via more bullshit to infinity.

Also still dont get whats so hard about the thought of closing the door. Even the salt saint or whoever built that place closed the door before. ¿Why is everybody assuming that it cant be closed? Another strange thing is that there is a demon that was able of getting to the temple, and they cant say this is just adlets imagination cause they found the dead body inside the mist. Some1 of them i think it was chamot, another shoot first ask later character, (or that 8th guy) had to kill it thus adlet may be lying but its true that there was a fiend inside wich is suppossed to be imposible. This should rise some questions ¿How is this posible and what else could be posible?

But hey, lets kill him without even a second thought. Dunno who that demon god is but must be quite inept to be defeat by these kind of braves.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Aren't these a new set of (dumb) braves?

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 08-10-2015, 03:41 AM
I kind of like the closed room mystery aspect. The problem with Umineko wasn't the closed rooms, but that the ultimate answer to the whole thing was stupid and that none of the lead up actually mattered. But that's a completely different story.

Regarding this episode, unfortunately it didn't really give us any new info about the mystery.

I'm still disappointed nobody asks the obvious questions like "Couldn't you open the door and close it with the key?"

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-10-2015, 03:49 AM
I'm still disappointed nobody asks the obvious questions like "Couldn't you open the door and close it with the key?"They did, and Maura (who has the key) dismissed the notion that you can shut it again. Hans and at least one other agreed.

Which is bullshit and makes no sense. We're led to believe that this door can only be shut at creation?

This is why I hate Locked-Room Mysteries. The common sense solutions are dismissed, rationalized away, or casually tossed aside. Then you end up with an orangutan with a razor coming in and out of the chimney just so the readers/viewers couldn't possibly guess it ahead of time.

"There must not just be a seventh, but also an eighth!" is about the same to me. Bullshit.

Kraco
Mon, 08-10-2015, 04:08 AM
I don't think there were any such problems with this mystery so far because they were still purely at the stage of basic discussion or argumentation. The main problem was Adlet being an idiot incapable of defending himself (and nobody else caring for defending him, aside from Bunny's incoherent screaming) and thus it was all for nothing. What mystery can there be when everybody decides it's Adlet and he can't get an intelligent counterargument out of his mouth? Then it just turned into action.

The demon king must be a miserable thing if he's going to lose against this bunch, like Edort said.

David75
Mon, 08-10-2015, 08:43 AM
Flamie said that the barrier, though strong, wasn't the strongest she felt before. She's only half fiend, so what if there's a fiend around, much stronger than flamie and with some brains? Such a fiend could very well enter the barrier and create the situation here.

Regarding Adlet's poor defence, well it's true that he was cornered by the other 3 that are pure strangers to Adlet's group. So it's a bit convenient when they agree and validate each other's opinions/ideas. On the opposite, Adlet's group is very weak, Adlet unable to think for himself, Nachetanya who can't take sides properly, Goldov solving personal issues and Flamie who doesn't care.

All in all, it's getting way too long to solve that situation we do not really care about.

Munsu
Fri, 08-14-2015, 07:18 PM
For those that believe that Nashetania might be the culprit, any chance she could've activated the barrier from afar using her Sainthood or something along those lines?

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 08-14-2015, 09:14 PM
For those that believe that Nashetania might be the culprit, any chance she could've activated the barrier from afar using her Sainthood or something along those lines?

We saw exactly how you're supposed to turn on the barrier when Adlet demonstrated it at the replica - place sword in stand, place hand on tablet, say words.
I think it is a bit of a stretch to say Nashe could have done that while being with the other 3 fighting off monsters. Sure, she could move the sword, but what about the rest?

Given how much they hyped this door/seal, it pretty much has to be Maura, the woman with the key, and you must be able to close the door with the key.
As for the "why", I have no idea.
We just don't know enough about the 3 newcomers to know any potential motives, or even their means if they have special abilities.

Kraco
Sat, 08-15-2015, 02:35 AM
Aside from the idiot Adlet's grand theory, there might even be such a mundane reason that Maura learned there's an extra brave and locked them all in on purpose to weed out that extra one. Although at the same time it has to be said she certainly didn't behave accordingly, allowing Hans declare Adlet the culpriot totally one-sidedly. Not only we don't know enough, like Moogles said, but there was so little and unbalance intelligent acting during the discussion in the temple that it's exceedingly hard to predict anything. Personally I still half hope, like I said a long time ago, that Adlet is unknowingly a fake hero created by the demon king himself to be used as a tool (since he's an idiot and thus an excellent tool). However, that wouldn't alone explain this particular mystery since we know Adlet only forced the door open, nothing more.

Kraco
Sat, 08-15-2015, 03:36 PM
Episode 7 - HS

- -- - -

Yeah, it's hard to see through this. I reckon Hans merely is a homicidal psychopath, so it's all the same to him who gets killed, as long as he's the one doing the killing, so he chose Adlet because it was easy. The rest, mostly, aren't too fond of using their brains, so they merely go along. Bunny Princess isn't much smarter than Adlet, I'd say, so she's of little help unless by chance. Flamie naturally won't give a shit, at least for now. She might make some kind of a decision if the need to do it is presented to her on a silver platter.

I'm happy the fiends aren't all mindless monsters.

Munsu
Sat, 08-15-2015, 05:13 PM
Episode 7 - HS

- -- - -

Yeah, it's hard to see through this. I reckon Hans merely is a homicidal psychopath, so it's all the same to him who gets killed, as long as he's the one doing the killing, so he chose Adlet because it was easy. The rest, mostly, aren't too fond of using their brains, so they merely go along. Bunny Princess isn't much smarter than Adlet, I'd say, so she's of little help unless by chance. Flamie naturally won't give a shit, at least for now. She might make some kind of a decision if the need to do it is presented to her on a silver platter.

I'm happy the fiends aren't all mindless monsters.

That was the bright side of the episode, the rest was a mix of slow pace and no new development. At least we got a bit of action towards the end, but that's it.

Edort4
Sun, 08-16-2015, 03:58 PM
I liked that we saw the way Flemie thinks. If Adlet is nice to her is only because he is the 7th and is trying to win her for his side. She cant picture some1 really worrying and caring about her. I wonder what will be the trigger (Im sure there will be) that make her realize that Adlet was serious and that she deserves to be caring for.

For the rest I would call this filler material. We learned a bit about the past of the characters but it was like 3 minutes of true content in 20 minutes of show.

Kraco
Sun, 08-16-2015, 04:10 PM
I liked that we saw the way Flemie thinks. If Adlet is nice to her is only because he is the 7th and is trying to win her for his side. She cant picture some1 really worrying and caring about her. I wonder what will be the trigger (Im sure there will be) that make her realize that Adlet was serious and that she deserves to be caring for.

I don't think she was being honest there. The fact she lived for years believing she was loved by her mom and the other demons hanging around as friends means she knows what love is and enjoys it like a human. What's happening now is merely both her vengeance being stronger than any strive for love and a natural defence reaction against being betrayed again, so she's actively rejecting any attempts of friendliness and beyond. Of course she's also damaged by the trauma and also by her earlier way of life, but if you compare her to Hans, she's an epitome of a healthy mind...

Edort4
Sun, 08-16-2015, 05:34 PM
I don't think she was being honest there. The fact she lived for years believing she was loved by her mom and the other demons hanging around as friends means she knows what love is and enjoys it like a human. What's happening now is merely both her vengeance being stronger than any strive for love and a natural defence reaction against being betrayed again, so she's actively rejecting any attempts of friendliness and beyond. Of course she's also damaged by the trauma and also by her earlier way of life, but if you compare her to Hans, she's an epitome of a healthy mind...

Yeah thats more or less what I meant. Maybe I didnt leave it clear cause my english sucks. In the current state Flamie thinks (or wants to believe to match with her state of mind) that everything that has happened since they met was just a plan to gain her favor because Adlet is the 7th. That would explain all and match with the image of the world she currently has. Its a "convient" self-lie and I like it cause it shows how
"hurt" she is at her current state.

Also I forgot to mention that those mastermind fiends are cool. Hans is a too obvious maniac to be the 7th.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 08-16-2015, 06:11 PM
Come to think of it...it makes perfect sense that Hans is the killer. I mean he admitted to being an assassin. Now that we have seen that Demons are intelligent beings as well,they could have devised this plot and hired Hans to kill one of the Braves. All 6 six are required so if one is dead than the Demon King can be resurrected right?

Kraco
Mon, 08-17-2015, 02:51 AM
Come to think of it...it makes perfect sense that Hans is the killer. I mean he admitted to being an assassin. Now that we have seen that Demons are intelligent beings as well,they could have devised this plot and hired Hans to kill one of the Braves. All 6 six are required so if one is dead than the Demon King can be resurrected right?

That would be actually quite a stylish plot and would go well together with the intelligent fiend we saw in Adlet's flashback. Hans is a psychopath, so even if he was a genuine brave, he would still enjoy killing the other braves. Flamie was killing the candidates because she was brought up believing it's the right and proper thing to do and that her loving mother would be pleased by it. Hans, however, would do it because it would greatly satisfy him personally and, being a psycho, he would have no reservations or inhibitions.

Kraco
Sun, 08-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Episode 8 - HS

- - - - - -

Chamot is a textbook example of the kind of character who thinks they are the ultimate fighting machine and invinsible, but then against the final boss they would get defeated in a heartbeat. Also, she's the textbook example of a don't fight the summoned but the summoner case.

Hans had a 100% fitting way of telling liars and honest people apart. Who knows how he creates the hallucination, but it does sound quite plausible for a story.

I'm more and more thinking Maura is the guilty one, for whatever reason. The way she talked to Flamie was somehow off. She would be the easiest explanation as well since she knows the temple inside out and has the key. But who knows.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 08-23-2015, 04:40 PM
Maura suspect nr one. I mean she had the key from the beginning. Plus the way she was telling Flamie to kill Adlet was kinda suspicious. That aside I like how Nasha is fully away of how Goldov feels about her and tells him that she can't deal with his jealousy at the moment.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:08 PM
Goldov's feelings are plain as day. I'd have lost all respect for bunny girl if she didn't know about them.

Hans is bro of the year.

The monster of physics within me can't help but get pissed by how Adlet and Hans just watched Chamo vomit out minions for 15 seconds without trying to pawn her defenseless self. Her being the most powerful is ridiculous. If Adlet's flying blade can kill you while you are busy with bulimia, there is no way you are anywhere near top tier.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-24-2015, 12:49 AM
Well her vomiting does the same thing as Adlet's smokes - shock factor.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-24-2015, 07:17 AM
Then she's only strong on first fight. If Flamie goes after her again and shoots her in the face while she is inducing her vomit, well, would Flamie be the new strongest woman in the world?

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-24-2015, 07:24 AM
That depends on how you define "strongest". If defeating the strongest person in combat makes you the new strongest, then I'll agree with that.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-24-2015, 07:52 AM
Maybe she can insta-puke when necessary. I'll give Chamo the benefit of the doubt.

neflight86
Mon, 08-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Also, we don't know that the vomiting is the only means of fighting she has. Perhaps she practices some martial art as well.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 08-25-2015, 08:59 PM
Chamot's abilities are still fairly unknown.
Additionally, they don't really want to kill him/her, so it makes sense they don't go for an insta-kill.

At this point, it pretty much has to be Maura for the person who triggered the trap unless there is some out of nowhere BS.
As for why she did it, I guess we'll have to wait to figure it out. Hans' speculation about Adlet's motives could be applied to her. Maybe she has family captive or something. We'll just need to wait and see.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2015, 09:39 PM
Chamot's abilities are still fairly unknown.
Additionally, they don't really want to kill him/her, so it makes sense they don't go for an insta-kill.

Which is why they should've jumped on her the moment she started trying to puke. They had a good 10 seconds or more to do so. Shooting her in the leg with his rocket knife also works.

Sure, there's a risk, but not as big as letting Chamot do whatever she wanted as they watched. Taking the initiative is basic in combat.

That scene reminded me of Disgaea and how Etna pawned a member of a sentai group before he transformed.

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 08-25-2015, 10:52 PM
You'll never talk Chamot down after you injure Chamot, though. I'm sure Adlet could have also lobbed a grenade on top of Chamot, but that is not the goal at all.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Why do you even think they can talk Chamot down, especially without Maura? The brat is nuts. Just knock her out and be done with it.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 08-25-2015, 11:46 PM
The brat is nuts. Just knock her out and be done with it.

Oh dear. :D

It means so much more when you say it.

I don't think knocking someone out can be reliably done by an assassin and a boy trained to kill fiends. You need fists, blunt weapons and shit..

And if Chamot's fiends are fiends she's eaten, I don't think you want to get close to her.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 08-25-2015, 11:54 PM
The fiends that wouldn't have come out if they beat her unconscious while she was tickling her throat?

EDIT: Oh you meant she might eat them? They didn't even know about the fiends at that point.

Your logic about an assassin and the strongest man on earth, who can fight on level ground with an assassin, not being able to knock a person out makes no sense. Knocking people out isn't rocket science. A good punch or a proper sleeper hold (which also prevents her from vomiting minions!) would work.

You guys are providing reasons why they shouldn't knock her out. But stop and think about the reasons why they should've knocked her out/beaten her up/injured her/stopped her somehow. A preemptive strike would've ended the fight already, saving them the trouble and danger they are in now.

But then again, there wouldn't be a fight in the next episode.

They could've easily fixed this oddness by giving Chamo some sort of defense while she is busy summoning creeps, like a barrier, a flash grenade, an invisible fiend guard she always drags around, anything.

That scene was a typical summon/power up/ transformation scene that no one interrupts for the sake of plot.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 08-26-2015, 12:34 AM
1. They didn't know she was just going to vomit for a few seconds
2. Once she started there was a pile of goo that they didn't know anything about surrounding her
3. I have reason to believe all of their projectile weapons (the only thing that would reach her now if they decided to attack) were bladed and lethal. The only way to "knock" her out would be to induce blood loss.

Kraco
Wed, 08-26-2015, 12:38 AM
Adlet is an idiot, which explains why he would just stand still and stare while an enemy takes all the time in the world to get ready to fight. Hans, however, is another matter. After Adlet had thrown away all of his gear, Hans hesitated for a long while. I reckon he's the kind of person who expects everybody to be able to pull off amazing moves like he does himself. His assassinations probably are assassinations in their true form: Killing the target before the target knows to expect anything. Of Chamot they only knew the brat is supposedly super strong, yet they hadn't a clue what sort of a power she has. Based on Hans's behavior against Adlet, he wouldn't attack recklessly under such circumstances.

It's also possible Hans didn't want to get hit by vomit. I know I wouldn't.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 08-26-2015, 12:49 AM
You're seriously telling me that you're going to run through this unknown pile of liquid someone is vomiting to put them in a sleeper hold while they're spewing gallons of potentially super-powered acid?
That's just ridiculous.

The first reaction when she started vomiting should have been "RUN!!!", but perhaps the shock and curiosity about her power could keep someone watching a bit longer. Up until she started vomiting, they were trying to reason with her.

What happened makes way more sense than any kind of rash retaliation.

Ryllharu
Wed, 08-26-2015, 03:19 AM
They both know Chamot's reputation.

No one screws with her, no one beats her. They already related the story how she won some tournament when she was even younger in a bloody mess. Flamie fled from her moments after their own confrontation began.

They should have run full force, but they are trying to convince her. The shock of seeing her vomit up huge amounts rooted them in place.

Chamot is stubborn and young, and completely convinced that Maura is telling her the truth (whether she is or not). Even if Maura isn't the traitor and mistaken about all this as Hans was, Chamot trusts her implicitly for some reason.

I'm with Moogs on this one.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-26-2015, 08:02 AM
3. I have reason to believe all of their projectile weapons (the only thing that would reach her now if they decided to attack) were bladed and lethal. The only way to "knock" her out would be to induce blood loss.

Didn't Adlet have paralysis darts? I'm sure they could also hit one of her limbs with throwing knives, causing damage without insta-killing her. Adlet accurately disarmed Hans without giving him a scratch, after all.

I'll admit that they were scared shitless of Chamot, but it still stands that the best way to win is to take the initiative. We've just been trained by fiction to "be careful" which leads to the enemy powering up.

@MoM - I think what bothers me the most about that scene is how flawed Chamot's power is. She is considered the strongest, but she needs 10 seconds or more before she can be effective in combat. How the hell hasn't she died until now? Why didn't Flamie shoot her face while she was vomiting? Does everyone just stand around and watch her each and every time until she has killed enough to warrant her reputation?

Hans is a seasoned killer. He of all people should know that taking the initiative or running away are the two best options, but he did neither. Why? Sure there are possible rationalizations, like them wanting to convince Chamot. But in the end, their decision was wrong. Waiting around led to them being cornered.

If you're only going to argue that "it is acceptable" because of the reasons already stated, then okay. What I'm trying to say is, I expected more from these heroes. They could've handled this better without letting it progress to this worst case scenario for the two of them.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 08-26-2015, 09:27 PM
I'm also very curious to know how Chamot could avoid being sniped.
Maybe everything that touches Chamot's skin just disintegrates. Maybe bullets just go through Chamot or Chamot instantly regenerates. I mean, who knows? Until we're really shown more about her power, all we know is that Flamie ran away because she was terrified. I don't know why you would assume the fight went the exact same way.

Attacking someone who couldn't be defeated by someone with a rifle when you have no idea what their power does seems absolutely crazy.

Yes, Hans and Adlet could have run away immediately. However, that runs counter to their goal and they have no idea what is going on. Those things combined lead perfectly into the situation depicted in the show.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 08-26-2015, 11:31 PM
It's also perfectly plausible that Flamie's fight was as bullshit as this one.

I vote throwing paralysis darts at Chamot while she was busy vomiting as the best plan of action. Trying to do this isn't crazy at all, considering Flamie and her rifle survived Chamot just fine. If the attack failed, then at least they know projectiles aren't effective. Doing nothing while gaping in shock is the absolutely crazy course of action IMO.

TBH, I'm actually fine with them being careful. If that was indeed the case, a single line of monologue (a technique they actually use a lot in this show, so it's not a style issue) saying that Adlet intentionally observed Chamot and forfeited initiative for caution would have solved this. Instead, it looks like they just conked out in fear, or that the director got lazy and just rehashed the sentai transformation trope.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-29-2015, 11:57 PM
I just watched the first 20 seconds of the latest episode and Adlet tried to hit Chamo with a slingshot.

So yeah.

EDIT: A minute later they effin pawned the loli with blades (sure, the flat side) on the torso...

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-30-2015, 01:40 AM
But she's almost mastered Insta-puke. Those fiends materialise essentially immediately (esp when she's puking).. though it seems she either had a recharge time in-between pukes, or was shocked into not puking when Hans got thrown at her.

The sling-shot changes things though. That's the non-lethal projectile that was missing.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-30-2015, 01:44 AM
You mean other than his paralysis darts (ep 1)? And the 101 other things he has in that box and his pockets (he didn't have the box when he threw a crap load of stuff against his pursuers)?

Doesn't matter if her fiends do whatever. The problem is that Adlet and Hans didn't try to do anything when she was puking, including relatively safe attacks, but they ended up pawning her with a ridiculously unsafe one anyway.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-30-2015, 03:32 AM
You know, I'm still wondering why Chamot didn't eat Hans. She managed to eat everything else that she threw up.

Kraco
Sun, 08-30-2015, 05:38 AM
You know, I'm still wondering why Chamot didn't eat Hans. She managed to eat everything else that she threw up.

I guess Hans wasn't her type of a man. I don't blame her.

Ignoring the fact everybody's personality seems to fluctuate a lot depending on the situation, like Hans now getting instantly talked into submission despite the fact he seemed to be a master of it against Adlet and Adlet now coming up with fancy theories despite being unable to say anything against Hans, I don't like how all the thinking always goes to waste by plot devices that just conveniently happened to be there and that somebody just happened to know perfectly. If the fricking fiends knew the barrier won't work without those wooden things underground (I wonder why they aren't thoroughly rotten in that damp place already), why didn't they dig up a sufficient portion of them to make the barrier useless? We have seen big and strong fiends that must have as much strength as an excavator, so it would have been easy enough. No fancy unbreakable temple to worry about, just some wooden poles under the surface layer of dirt. I find it pretty hard to believe the fiends would actually have been planning for centuries to trap the braves inside their own barrier, instead of removing the damn thing. That's like betting on 1% when there's absolutely nothing wrong about the rest of the 99%. This arc stretches forever because of shit like this.

Maura seems more and more guilty all the time. She was very quick to decide Adlet must be guilty and very good at shooting down any other alternatives. There's logically no way Hans wouldn't realise this, Flamie as well after spending time with her. I don't know if she is the guilty one, but if she is, I pray to whatever gods they worship on that island that the story doesn't try to reveal it as a huge surprise.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-30-2015, 05:57 AM
Ignoring the fact everybody's personality seems to fluctuate a lot depending on the situation, like Hans now getting instantly talked into submission despite the fact he seemed to be a master of it against Adlet and Adlet now coming up with fancy theories despite being unable to say anything against Hans, I don't like how all the thinking always goes to waste by plot devices that just conveniently happened to be there and that somebody just happened to know perfectly.
This is exactly why I hate locked room mysteries like this one. There's always something else the readers and main POV character couldn't possibly know about that counters every theory that comes up until the stupid one that finally reveals who the true culprit is. By that time, the secret plot device that reveals the villain is as foolish and absurd as the ones that counter every rational possibility.

Every thread that would lead the readers and protagonist to the truth is either conveniently ignored and not followed up on so it can all be "revealed" later. To abuse the Sherlock Holmes quote, "Once you eliminate the impossible, rational, and sensible, whatever remains, no matter how conveniently ignored or undisclosed, turns out to be the truth."

This isn't a criticism against Rokka no Yuusha, in fact I think it is generally one of the better ones. It's a criticism of Locked Room Mystery subgenre in general, and especially the Japanese use of it.

-----

Where Rokka no Yuusha succeeds quite well is the characters. With the exception of Adlet, Chamot, and Flamie, we still don't know who the Seventh is. Hans could still be faking it as Bunny-hime just convincingly surmised, Maura is now the leading candidate, Bunny-hime herself has been manipulating Adlet and Goldov emotionally since the first episode, and we still know nothing about Goldov other than his slavish (and perhaps compromising?) devotion to and jealousy about Bunny-hime.

But this series still has very interesting characters from an adventure series standpoint.

Hans in particular this episode revealed himself to be quite a bit more than the Laughing Assassin stereotype. Even last episode kept him on that path with the whole 'pretend to kill you I see your true face' shtick. But this episode he turned it around by showing he's much more thoughtful to Adlet, and a more complex, fully developed person after all. His discussion on inner darkness and Flamie's emotional state was quite astute and accurate, they're both dynamic and interesting people.

But I do think Hans is missing a facet of Flamie's personality. He says she may even hate Adlet, but it's quite possible that it is the opposite and she just doesn't know how to express that properly. She was raised by a fiend who's "love" was only expressed in veiled contempt, duty, and thoughtless purpose. Perhaps what is confusing Hans is that Flamie's way of expressing interest is through the only way she knows how, it certainly seemed that way by the end of the episode. Adlet is the only person in her life who has ever trusted her and showed genuine concern for her well being.

Kraco
Sun, 08-30-2015, 07:33 AM
She was raised by a fiend who's "love" was only expressed in veiled contempt, duty, and thoughtless purpose. Perhaps what is confusing Hans is that Flamie's way of expressing interest is through the only way she knows how, it certainly seemed that way by the end of the episode. Adlet is the only person in her life who has ever trusted her and showed genuine concern for her well being.

I don't think it went exactly that way. I understood she lived relatively loved and surrounded by (fiend) friends, who were there for her. That's why it was such a shock when they instantly turned cold and began to shun her after a single failure (Chamot). She surmised, probably correctly, they never cared for her in the first place and it was all just an act to use her as a murdering tool. This is why I wrote earlier that she in fact knows what love is, but it betrayed her, leaving her broken and unable to trust anyone. Yet the desire to experience it again should still be there, underneath.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-30-2015, 08:02 AM
Kraco's right. Flamie broke when she got betrayed by those who treated her with love. That was her main complaint. If she were a tool to be used and thrown away, she wanted to be treated as one, not as true family which the fiends did, so as not to aggravate the pain of betrayal.

I love Flamie's design way too much. When she is onscreen, everything else just fades into blur and gibberish. "Sure, you and you are the Seventh or not, whatever. Now more Flamie." She just needs to raise her arms more.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-30-2015, 08:36 AM
But doesn't that inherently mean she doesn't understand what love and friendliness actually is? She knows what she thought was affection, but the first time she experienced it genuinely, it was from Adlet.

She knows what insincere, fake affection looks like.

That's why Hans is getting confused. She's showing friendliness that he reads as false, because that's the only kind of affection Flamie knows.

This makes my brain hurt.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-30-2015, 08:44 AM
I.. don't think you can call signs of affections as fake or whatever based on those signs in and of themselves. I don't get your last part Ryll. You either show friendliness because you mean it, or you show friendliness because of secondary gains. The reason behind it doesn't affect how well done your friendliness is.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-30-2015, 08:59 AM
Listen to Hans' lines again as Adlet walks away to go meet Flamie.

Figure the rest out yourself. I'm not explaining it again.

Munsu
Sun, 08-30-2015, 10:18 AM
The real trick is that there's no barrier.

Had completely forgotten the scene in which they check if they're trapped.

Kraco
Sun, 08-30-2015, 10:18 AM
But doesn't that inherently mean she doesn't understand what love and friendliness actually is? She knows what she thought was affection, but the first time she experienced it genuinely, it was from Adlet.

She knows what insincere, fake affection looks like.

I don't think it looked insincere and fake back when she was still living it. That's why she can't trust anything anymore. It's not a matter of recognizing something as real or fake, it's a matter of recognizing everything (erroneously) as deceit, which also includes Adlet for now. She can't trust him yet, just like she said. However, I'm happy it looks like she's giving Adlet a chance here. That means she still misses the happy times, even if she knows they were ultimately false back then. She must still possess hope that the real deal could happen. As expected from someone as cute as Flamie!

Also, I don't care about Hans' lines. Why would he know anything about Flamie? He's just thinking she's the same as he is, but that's not obviously true.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-06-2015, 12:59 AM
HS - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=730562)

----------------------------

Jumping onto the Flamie train now. Fuck mentally unstable chicks.

I'm sure Adlet being the strongest average man in the world would be able to turn her around, but I'm scarred already.

Kraco
Sun, 09-06-2015, 02:27 AM
I'm really beginning to wonder how this bunch was supposed to defeat the demon king in the first place. You only needed to lock 'em up, and in a day they are ready to kill each other. Even if we forget Maura who's even more hell bent on seeing corpses than a homicidal lunatics like Hans or Chamot. The fiend we saw in the flashback visiting Adlet's village was more civilized than this bunch.

Despite everything I'm happy about the development between Adlet and Flamie. Hans was totally wrong about Flamie, it seems, which is something I expected. He hadn't spent any time with her, so what would he know? Looking at this bunch of braves, I'd say Flamie wasn't even scarred by the period when she was hunting brave candidates. If they were all as crazy as the group we see now, it was akin to hunting criminals, which doesn't necessarily mar a person so much.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-06-2015, 06:20 AM
I wonder if the previous generations of heroes were as emotionally unstable as this bunch, or if the true mastery of the Demon God's planning is that the poor Goddess has to scrape the bottom of the barrel this time around, finding bloodthirsty killers, psychopaths, and silver-tongued manipulators. When the most sane and rational person on your team is a contract assassin, something's clearly wrong.

I guess Goldov hasn't been kotowing to Bunny-hime purely out of loyalty. Apparently much of that is actually fear.

Maura's lines of dialogue were beautifully constructed. Her accusation to Adlet still neither confirms or absolves her of being the Seventh. She legitimately believes that even she will start to fall for Adlet's words if he's allowed to continue speaking long enough. You can take that line both ways!

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-06-2015, 06:50 AM
Man...bunny-hime is unstable as fuck.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-06-2015, 08:57 AM
Flamie got conquered.

Uh, did Adlet really say I love you? I'm thinking he said "I like you" and Flamie misunderstood, or maybe he did say that and Flamie misunderstood the other way.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-06-2015, 09:19 AM
See, I don't know if he actually lied about that or not, because if the truth comes out that he actually likes Yan-bunny or something, shit would go crazy all over again.

Munsu
Sun, 09-06-2015, 09:47 AM
From what we know so far:

Adlet, Hans, and Flamie are the only one that we can for sure rule out right?

Anyways, I still think that the biggest trick that's making these people look like morons is the existence of a barrier at all. I mean, has any of them bothered to check if they're actually trapped?

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-06-2015, 09:49 AM
@Buff:
If you think about it, Flamie would definitely be the one of the two he actually likes/loves.

- All Bunny-hime has ever done is lie to him and trick him. He knows surprisingly little about her despite how much they've talked. The only things she's "admitted" are the things everyone in her kingdom knows about her. The first time they met she was deceiving him.

- On the other hand, despite how much she claimed not to trust people anymore, despite her protestations that she doesn't care about anything anymore, Flamie has been nothing but forthcoming and honest about her past, her thoughts, her fears, etc. He's never really had to pry, he's honest with her and she talks to him back.

Flamie and Adlet are similar, both have lost everything and declared they would live for revenge. Adlet just told her now that that is a foolhardy purpose and not worth it. Going with his viewpoint of always smiling no matter how tough things are and being honest, he trusts her when no one else will and so far she's reciprocated.

Bunny-hime has done nothing but deceive or doubt Adlet in response. She's claimed she's not that experienced fighting (outright lie and he knows it), leaves out information left and right, didn't trust and support him when asked when he stated firmly that Flamie was innocent, and so on.

@Munsu:
Hans and Adlet both tested it extensively in an earlier episode. Any direction they run, they are turned back onto themselves.

Munsu
Thu, 09-10-2015, 10:31 AM
@Buff:
If you think about it, Flamie would definitely be the one of the two he actually likes/loves.

- All Bunny-hime has ever done is lie to him and trick him. He knows surprisingly little about her despite how much they've talked. The only things she's "admitted" are the things everyone in her kingdom knows about her. The first time they met she was deceiving him.

- On the other hand, despite how much she claimed not to trust people anymore, despite her protestations that she doesn't care about anything anymore, Flamie has been nothing but forthcoming and honest about her past, her thoughts, her fears, etc. He's never really had to pry, he's honest with her and she talks to him back.

Flamie and Adlet are similar, both have lost everything and declared they would live for revenge. Adlet just told her now that that is a foolhardy purpose and not worth it. Going with his viewpoint of always smiling no matter how tough things are and being honest, he trusts her when no one else will and so far she's reciprocated.

Bunny-hime has done nothing but deceive or doubt Adlet in response. She's claimed she's not that experienced fighting (outright lie and he knows it), leaves out information left and right, didn't trust and support him when asked when he stated firmly that Flamie was innocent, and so on.

@Munsu:
Hans and Adlet both tested it extensively in an earlier episode. Any direction they run, they are turned back onto themselves.

I completely forgot about that scene honestly. I recall that at the time I wasn't sure what they were trying to do, so didn't pay much attention to it. But yeah, had completely forgotten about that.

It does seems a bit strange how quickly they managed to check the full extent of the barrier, yet the travelling that occurred during the Adlet chase seems to indicate that the territory is more expansive. Whatever, moving on.

Edit: Just noticed that ANIDB is listing this series as 12 episodes long, so 2 more episodes it seems if that's correct. Seems like we won't go beyond solving this mystery unless it gets a sequel or such.

Not sure how much of the source material this covers though.

So it seems we have 1 episode of Nachetanya going berserk and another episode of resolution left with figuring out the culprit (which might be Nachetanya herself, but who knows).

I think in the end it'll either have to be Nachetanya or Goldov, since that's the only drama I see working from an allegiance perspective. Maura to me seems like pure misdirection at this point. But we'll see. It's one of those 3 in my opinion.

Personally I'd love to see one of these three scenarios:

1) A hero gets killed after being mistaken as the fake.

2) There's no fake, yet someone suffers for it.

3) There's a fake, but character is unaware of it... hence not an enemy.

Not sure if it'll go that way.

By the way, who was the character that suggested that once a Brave gets killed a petal disappears? Is this an accepted truth, or are they simply working under the assumption that the person who said that is being upfront?

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 09-11-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm expecting:
4) They find a way to lift the barrier and continue towards the demon god's territory without knowing who the fake is.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-11-2015, 11:32 PM
5) Adlet gives up on killing the demon god because his allies are such crazies and dipshits and takes Flamie on a honeymoon trip around the world.

Kraco
Sat, 09-12-2015, 01:43 AM
I'm expecting:
4) They find a way to lift the barrier and continue towards the demon god's territory without knowing who the fake is.

If they weren't all so bloodthirsty maniacs, aside from Adlet, that's what they would have tried to do already. Following Hans, Maura, Chamot, and others, they would have killed who they believed was the Seventh (Adlet), then the next one, and the next one, but likely would have stopped at some point finally finding it pointless. Then the remaining braves would have sit inside the barrier till they died of old age, all self-satisfied.

David75
Sat, 09-12-2015, 07:01 AM
I'm still thinking the goddess could be the seventh but isn't aware she is.I counted the petals on Flamie's hat, but only,five... She would be a nice candidate.

Kraco
Sat, 09-12-2015, 04:45 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- --- - -

I feel like a bit stronger foreshadowing would have benefitted this. I didn't even remember there was a sun saint. Plus more than "luck is a skill and the strongest man in the world has maxed all the skills". It sounds quite hollow when said by a man on the verge of death. Although on the other hand when it's said by a weak idiot, it does sounds believable because he isn't quite dead yet. There must have been a better way than to just guess the location of the corpse perfectly. The area wasn't that small. If the corpse had been tossed into a hole in the ground and covered, they would have never found it. This was too convenient, even after the fancy theory. I have no problems with the fog itself. That was a good move.

Adlet made a good choice with the girls. Flamie might be a kuudere (actually that's only a good thing), but the bunny princess is crazy.

Munsu
Sat, 09-12-2015, 06:05 PM
Too many things for the sake of convenience occurred, particularly with the body. It was a bit ridiculous. The fog theory was alright by me, but I'm with you... some more foreshadowing would've been prudent. Hans and Chamot running around instead of sticking to the temple I'm not sure what that was all about...

And then when Adlet made it to the temple, before he made any realization, he suddenly started running away from it for no good reason. Nachetanya was going to get to him one way or another, so curious why he didn't search for Hans in that area harder.

Nachetanya was very very poorly handled in the last few episodes, the way she went overboard crazy just doesn't quite make sense. But whatever. Action was solid and entertaining as always.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-12-2015, 09:57 PM
Adlet ran away because Nacchie would have pawned him if he stayed. Hans didn't reply to his call, so he wasn't there. If he did as you said, he'd already be dead.

It was specifically mentioned that Chamot could somehow sense dead bodies even if they were buried underground. That meant she could more or less sniff out bodies anywhere within the barrier. That's why they hid it inside a corpse, because the smell of death masked the other.

I completely agree with more foreshadowing, but the logic behind the reveal itself was sound, albeit sudden.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention the most important thing.

Flamie = waifu of the year.

Got a boner each time she called Adlet's name, her voice bleeding with concern.

Munsu
Sat, 09-12-2015, 10:28 PM
Adlet ran away because Nacchie would have pawned him if he stayed. Hans didn't reply to his call, so he wasn't there. If he did as you said, he'd already be dead.

It was specifically mentioned that Chamot could somehow sense dead bodies even if they were buried underground. That meant she could more or less sniff out bodies anywhere within the barrier. That's why they hid it inside a corpse, because the smell of death masked the other.

I completely agree with more foreshadowing, but the logic behind the reveal itself was sound, albeit sudden.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention the most important thing.

Flamie = waifu of the year.

Got a boner each time she called Adlet's name, her voice bleeding with concern.

I simply thought that Adlet would've tried to get closer to the temple in case Hans was inside and couldn't hear him or something. Seemed like he didn't get all that close and just went away, and considering that he was the one who could absolve him, I thought the lack of insistence on trying to find Hans where he was most likely to be a bit foolish.

Also, remember he was left with Chamot... so even if Hans didn't answer, there was still a big chance Hans would've been in trouble and knowing Adlet he would've want to help if that was the case.

So in the few moments that Adlet was in the temple, the lack of response is not that good of a reason. At least in the apparent short span of time.

As for the sensing bodies, was that previously known or just going by what was mentioned in this episode? Anyways, I'm not opposed to that happening... what bothered me is how many sudden coincidences started to pile-up right there. Of course, Adlet does mention that "luck" is part of it all, so we can go with that and not over think it.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-12-2015, 10:37 PM
Adlet made the logical decision of trying to survive when Hans appeared to not be present. That was all it was. Adlet is heroic but pragmatic. Remember, he left Flamie, who got pawned, to go to the temple and clear his name.

Munsu
Sat, 09-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Adlet made the logical decision of trying to survive when Hans appeared to not be present. That was all it was. Adlet is heroic but pragmatic. Remember, he left Flamie, who got pawned, to go to the temple and clear his name.

Just re-watched that portion, he does stay in the area a bit longer than what I recalled in my first watch. My problem was not with him leaving, but with him seeming to leave too soon. I still think he should've stuck around a bit longer within the protection the columns provided. He was going to be good target to Nachetanya no matter what he did, so to me the important part if maximizing the opportunity of getting in touch with Hans.

If he thought Flemie was going to die he wouldn't have left. With Hans it wasn't really all about rescuing him, but laying eyes on him since it creates another witness in Nachetanya, and that would be enough. Though he seemed to think that Hans was still alive to be good enough for him to move on.

From a logical standpoint, reaching Hans was top priority including his survival. So it's all about timing. Did he stick around long enough to ascertain that chances would be that he wasn't around? On first viewing, I didn't think so. On second viewing, I'll give the benefit of the doubt.

David75
Sun, 09-13-2015, 12:48 AM
I did not count the dark petals on Flamie's hat. There's 8 in total. Adlet mentioned 8 some eps ago. And if dark=dead, that's not good news.I know this is weak, but the corpse in the corpse idea is not that good since we only got back to the fiends corpse on the moment of the reveal so we couldn't check if the big one was there before. Quite unfair to the audience.

Kraco
Sun, 09-13-2015, 01:57 AM

That means the fiends knew Chamot could do it. In that case they should have taken the saint's corpse outside of the perimeter. If they had time to add that humongous demon corpse among the smaller fiend corpses, they would have had time to remove the saint's existence completely from withing the barrier. Even without any specific skills, one would remember the big one wasn't among the fiends when they were fighting, so it would be alarming to anyone suspecting anything at all. Even if we think there wouldn't have been time and it was only the director's fault it seems like there was, then I'm not sure adding an extra big red flashing sign at the crime scene would be wiser than burying the body. In the first place a kill 'em all, let god sort of 'em out maniac like Chamot wouldn't be looking for a corpse unless Maura told her to do it. And since Maura was so hell bent on killing Adlet, she wouldn't have done it. Although I admit the demons probably never imagined their greatest enemies, the braves, would be a bunch as idiotic as this.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 09-13-2015, 04:18 AM
Based on how this episode ended, this is the moment before the reveal where we're supposed to have everything we need to solve the mystery.

I'm still not 100% sure, but I'm thinking Goldov is the most likely suspect at this point.

Adlet and Flamie are definitely not it. Hans is extremely unlikely based on his actions.
That leaves us with Nashe, Maura, Chamot, and Goldov.

Nashe has proven to be pretty crazy, did some super suspicious things in the temple, and overall has been very flippant.
However, it has now been revealed that this plan has a lot of parts that were set up long in advance.
It doesn't seem likely that the sheltered princess would have been able to set all of this up.

Meta argument-wise, she suffers from being "too obvious". Additionally, the story would suffer greatly if she were removed as a character.

Moving on to Chamot. She has the means to do the necessary things and no alibi. However, her actions don't really make sense if she were the 7th. Why be friendly with Hans just now? The best option would have been to actually injure Hans.
Chamot also doesn't seem to have the intelligence level to pull this off.
Additionally, the enemy seems to have been aware of Chamot's abilities and planned around them. Why do this if Chamot is the culprit?

Maura remains very suspicious. If she is the culprit, she is playing off this latest discovery amazingly well, though. I can't think of any great reasons why it couldn't be her. But I can't think of any great reasons why it would be her either.
Meta-wise, she is a great source of exposition for the story's continuation, so killing her would somewhat weaken the cast.

Lastly, we have Goldov.
If I remember correctly, Goldov was missing for like a few months before the events started. This is very sketchy. He is also knowledgeable about the saints, which is an important requirement for pulling off this plan.
Goldov is the first person to touch the altar, where he pulls out the sword immediately. Was this the actual trigger for the trap?
Goldov has potential motives having to do with the princess.
Goldov started the fighting when they were still having discussion time.

Meta-wise, he is a surprising choice since he hasn't done much, and the story loses the least by eliminating him. He has mostly been a non-character the entire show, but has subtly done enough to make him a prime suspect.

So I'm pretty much decided on Goldov.
Anybody else have any theories?

David75
Sun, 09-13-2015, 04:26 AM
For the Goldov theory, we have Flamie's astonishement to the way he blocked that bullet with his forearm.
Is it because she saw a fiend like reaction in that little scratch/hole he has?

Kraco
Sun, 09-13-2015, 04:46 AM
So, does Goldov have a good contingency plan, then? He was the one who pretty much stopped them from killing Adlet this episode when they reached the fiend carcasses, instead insisting they need information. That doesn't sit well with him being the Seventh, assuming the Seventh's goal is to weaken the braves. He would have also known that the place was no coincidence since the Sun Saint's body was right next to them. Of course if the goal wasn't to kill as many braves as possible, then it could be a different matter.

It seems to me that the old idea of the Seventh being the Seventh without knowing it (that is, a tool) would be quite smooth here. If the barrier was really easy to activate (pull the sword out, for example), it could have been done by accident. So, there would be the "Eight" from Adlet's earlier theory somewhere out there. Since we have seen a shapeshifting fiend already, it would be pretty funny if there was a shapeshifter here impersonating one of the braves, or more of them, in turn, when convenient. Although the lack of special powers might prevent that during any battle.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 05:26 AM
If it is Goldov, I can only guess his motivation is one similar to Adlet's village. While he was travelling, one of the major intelligent fiends approached him or completely overwhelmed him. He may have felt or was convinced that there was no way the heroes could defeat the Demon God this time, and made a deal to assist their plan if they promised to keep Bunny-hime safe and let him have her.

He may not have known all the details of the plan, only what he had to do as part of it.

Otherwise, it is probably Maura, tricked into it somehow. She came off as really stupid this episode. No wonder Chamot likes her, they're both mentally little kids, throwing tantrums all the time. She convinced herself that if it wasn't the most obvious one (Flamie), it had to be the next most obvious one, Adlet. Critical thinking skills aren't her forte.

This whole time the two of them have been manufacturing reasons to justify their choice, refusing to admit they're wrong a second time. The only difference is Chamot is a little more mentally mature and her tantrums are a little more obvious.

Kraco
Sun, 09-13-2015, 06:31 AM
This whole time the two of them have been manufacturing reasons to justify their choice, refusing to admit they're wrong a second time. The only difference is Chamot is a little more mentally mature and her tantrums are a little more obvious.

Chamot? She's a little kid behaving exactly like a little kid with a big power would. She hasn't presented a single sound or even unsound argument, nor opinions of other kinds to speak of. She simply waited until the accusations started flying, and immediately offered to kill Flamie and Adlet with her awesome (in her own opinion) power. The fact Hans was able to drag her away from the temple also speaks for her mental immaturity. It's not that hard to talk a kid into doing something.

Maura is just a stupid adult. I guess that's one sort of immaturity as well, but in reality lots of adults stay stupid until the die.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 07:51 AM
That's my point.

Maura and Chamot get along so well because they're both children. Maura's just a bigger one, and her hissy fits are less obvious.

Looking back, many of Maura's arguments can be summarized as "Nuh uh!" and then someone else chimes in to back her objection up with some real facts.

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 11:35 AM
My vote is for Goldov or Nachetanya. Though I'm leaning away from Nachetanya, I still think her hissy fit in the temple is still suspicious as heck, and remembering that scene gives some precendent to her psycho tendencies I hadn't credited recently.

So my vote goes to Goldov at the moment, though there's no real reason for it right now other than process of elimination. I wonder if his protected arm is a clue or if it's a red-herring.

If the goal is to keep the team within the barrier as long as possible, then Goldov protecting Adlet shouldn't be seen as a sign of innocence, particularly with the little details about what happens to the petals upon a Brave's death. Also, being the culprit doesn't necessarily mean you want to kill these people.

All that said, I'm still banking on there being another explanation beyond one of these guys being fake. I do think that if one of them got turned, it was Goldov, and I think part of it was for Nachetanya's sake or for something that he thinks might endear himself to Nachetanya.

With one week to go, I think it's time for everyone to put their vote up for the record. Mine is Goldov.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-13-2015, 02:47 PM
The goddess IS the demon lord and is just fucking with the Brave for fun. Now that would be a plot twist :P

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-16-2015, 06:05 AM
Maura, just because.

Edort4
Wed, 09-16-2015, 07:34 AM
The ones that tampered with the altar were Adlet, Goldov and Tania. Goldov looks like the most suspicious one at this point, he was the one that took the sword out of the altar saying he was going to deactivate it. Even so I dont think that is a very strong argument.

If they were lied about how the barrier activates, and it was actually the oppossite (just guessing) of what they were told, it was clear that someone would pull the sword out sooner or later thinking that it would deactivate it (the opposite movement of activation they were told) so the 7th actually shouldnt do anything but wait for someone to do it and activate it. Even in the worst case scenario, unbelieveable no one would do/try it, he could pretend to do it, just like Goldov did, but not as the 1st move, that would be pretty stupid.

So basically what im saying is that we know shit. We may even have that the person that activated it didnt even do it on purpose cause we dont know how it really activates/deactivates and the writer can pull any bs explanation about the real way to do it or how it works. It can be activated with thoughts, movements, words, intentions or whatever he wants. It could had been Adlet dropping blood, Tania breaking the tablet, Chamot saying any word inside the temple, Maura, Flamie, Hans by farting.

So... I will wait until they see fit to give me wahtever bs explanation they want. I still believe that the "dream" adlet had in the 1st episode was strange. It looked like fiend tentacles going into his brain. I go with the "he doesnt know he is being used" theory.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-16-2015, 11:51 AM
I'm actually hoping it's not a cop-out "There just happens to be seven braves this time" theory.

Kraco
Wed, 09-16-2015, 12:25 PM
I'm actually hoping it's not a cop-out "There just happens to be seven braves this time" theory.

Well, you know, there just happens to be seven. There are seven of them. One should be a bit different, though, but like I said long ago, it would be cool if that person didn't know the difference themselves and was thus a tool. It doesn't mean Adlet wouldn't be able to say a name in the next ep.

David75
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:10 PM
The sun brave was still alive and her powers were part of the trap. Why is it so important to be part of the six, when you have former ones whose powers you can use ?

Munsu
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:29 PM
The sun brave was still alive and her powers were part of the trap. Why is it so important to be part of the six, when you have former ones whose powers you can use ?

Wasn't part of it the protection from the poisonous air or such?

Kraco
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:38 PM

Hmm..? I thought she was just a saint. Becoming a brave doesn't grant a saint the powers (apart from the miasma tolerance, I guess). It's the other way around: some level of power is necessary to even dream of being selected as a brave.

Munsu
Wed, 09-16-2015, 01:58 PM
Hmm..? I thought she was just a saint. Becoming a brave doesn't grant a saint the powers (apart from the miasma tolerance, I guess). It's the other way around: some level of power is necessary to even dream of being selected as a brave.

Yeah, I don't recall those particulars, so I'm going by what you guys are saying. I'd have to recheck somehow if there's been mention of who the previous Braves were, not sure how to go about that though.

Edit: OK, I did a bit of cheating, and I didn't find any Sun Saint in the previous Braves. And there seems like there are about 300 years in between Brave generations or so, so not a Brave I'd say.

Kraco
Wed, 09-16-2015, 03:26 PM
And there seems like there are about 300 years in between Brave generations or so...

Yeah, because the demon king doesn't try to conquer the land every decade. That would be a major bother. Bad for business and stuff.

Edort4
Wed, 09-16-2015, 03:56 PM
Yeah, because the demon king doesn't try to conquer the land every decade. That would be a major bother. Bad for business and stuff.

Krugman and all his Keynesian scum folks would disagree.

And yeah the sun lady was a saint not a brave. It seems like there are lots of saints and only a few get choosen, probably strongest ones but that doesnt mean they cant help with their powers until they reach the miasma.

Munsu
Thu, 09-17-2015, 07:25 PM
Earlier in the series Adlet suggested two culprits. If that's true, do you believe it's 2 fake Braves? Who would be your choices if so?

Also, that would mean that a real Brave might be dead already or maybe stuck outside? Or... one legit Brave switched sides?

Not sure what to think in the end in all honestly, guess I'll have to wait and see how this is solved and hope it makes a semblance of sense in the surface at the very least.

If it's two culprits, and they're both braves, then I'm not sure how that would be true. We've seen plenty interaction between pairs, and even some introspection, to believe two of them are in cahoots.

Even with my suspicions of Nachetanya and Goldov, their interaction together doesn't suggest that both are traitors as a combo. Maura's actions don't lend itself to the belief that she and Nachetanya might be working together.

Goldov and Maura? Maybe, but Goldov blocking her plans of killing Adlet at the end seems contradicting.

Maura and Chamot? Could be, but somehow I don't think this will be.

Hans, he's pretty much interacted with almost everyone while by himself and nothing has stood out really to suggest he's working with any of these guys.

Chamot and Goldov? Would be interesting...

Etc., etc...

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 09-17-2015, 09:49 PM
I think the "8th" that Adlet suggested is the Sun Saint.

Munsu
Thu, 09-17-2015, 10:07 PM

Hmm, yeah that's true. Forgot about that angle.

Kraco
Fri, 09-18-2015, 01:36 AM

Yeah, although that was Adlet's old theory that didn't manage to save his skin. I reckon at that point he also thought the 8th would be working willingly, but in the end that doesn't make much difference. Just like it's doubtful the false soldiers who gave the incorrect instructions were really working for the demons because they wanted to.

Although I said the opposite before, but thinking about it more carefully, there's one critical factor we don't know: Is the Seventh working willingly for the demons or being forced to? If it's the former, it would make sense it's somebody like Maura or Chamot who's actively seeking to slay the others. If it's the latter, it's like Goldov or Hans who would do the absolute minimum but would be willing to stop the slaughter as well because it's not really what they wanted. After all, the deal probably only included trapping the braves in. They are isolated now, so nothing much makes a difference anymore. Ever since the most vocal ones became obsessed with killing Adlet, they haven't done anything at all to get out of the barrier.

All that doesn't matter if the Sevent doesn't know they're the Sevent, which is why it's my favourite theory. But it would explain Goldov's recent actions even if he was knowingly the Seventh. He might not want to see a slaughter even if he was the ultimate cause of it. It would still count as a minor resistance against the fiends, to soothe his conscience.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 03:53 PM
Here it is, the moment of truth... episode 12:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=735353

Kraco
Sat, 09-19-2015, 05:18 PM
First Flamie's competition was removed by making Bunny Princess the traitor, and then when they introduced the second extra character, she's ugly, being no real competition. Adlet and Flamie are really pushed together by fate! Yet poor Flamie is still highly jealous.

It was pitiful how after all this, the cliffhanger included, Adlet was reduced to uttering yet another accusation based on nothing but a hunch, just like the ones before that first targeted Flamie and then got him all wounded. Until we suddenly got new concrete evidence out of nowhere in the best tradition of deus ex machina. What an annoying arc.

I have a feeling the demons were dealing out a bunch of brave marks to people, both traitors and innocent, to confuse them majorly. I'd guess Adlet's own mark is one of the fakes, like has been suggested before. Funnily enough it's still possible it will protect from the miasma nonetheless. Since the fiends were trying to make human allies, it's plausible they did develop a method to protect their allies from their poisonous atmosphere, and then one of them got the great idea of faking braves.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Last episode, I guess the reveal, was a let down. Not because who ended up being the culprit, but just of how the whole reveal played itself out.

I kinda liked the aftermath portion, of how things came a bit full circle once again with the new dilemma. I do hope we get another season.

For all it's flaws and stupidities, I thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 05:42 PM
Man, fuck this show. Bullshit Locked Room Mystery from start to finish. No way for the viewers to correctly guess anything because they deliberately leave information out until the reveal, when some miraculous occurrence (like finding a second set of tablets with one literally being instructions) allows the mystery to be resolved.

If we don't get a second season and this was all just a promo for the novels...double fuck this show.

Munsu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 06:19 PM
Man, fuck this show. Bullshit Locked Room Mystery from start to finish. No way for the viewers to correctly guess anything because they deliberately leave information out until the reveal, when some miraculous occurrence (like finding a second set of tablets with one literally being instructions) allows the mystery to be resolved.

If we don't get a second season and this was all just a promo for the novels...double fuck this show.

When the solution was presented, my first thought actually was "Man, Ryllharu is going to fucking hate this crap".

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-19-2015, 09:44 PM
Well, I knew it was Nachetanya quite early on. Everyone else were obvious red herrings. Only she was safe for the most part, and she told Adlet to go ahead to the altar. Then she went random berserk and tried a bunch of things to alter the barrier.

A lot of fake outs, but if you think meta + existing clues, Nachetanya was pretty obvious.
That and I read the book.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-19-2015, 10:36 PM
Nachetanya was obvious, but not in the way (an actual traitor) or reason (her motivation went completely unforeshadowed in any possible way).

The series spent eleven episodes showing her to be a flippant person seeking adventure. It would have made more sense if her brand was painted on because she wanted to go on an adventure and it was a coincidence they all got trapped, as if the fiend plan was only partially successful and it wasn't the true deathtrap they planned it for. Someone who would have ended up turning back or started dying from the miasma (which also sounds like a myth because the dandy crocodile guy had Adlet's village immigrate) once they reached the peninsula.

Instead she has this elaborate plan that is both insane and comes completely out of nowhere. They couldn't have even added a single line with a double meaning early on? They showed that she wasn't as naïve a fighter as she showed Adlet, but they couldn't throw in a line about her hoping for peace?

They even fucked up the explanation, actually explaining that basically, the barrier activation was accidental. Nachetanya didn't activate it all by herself, Goldov, Adlet and then Nachetanya activated it. She didn't drop any blood on it, only Adlet. Adlet may have done the work for her, but you can't use it as rationale that there was any evidence it was legitimately her and not accidentally her. The series showed the opposite of what they were explaining.

Finding an extra set of tablets at the last minute, with instructions on them no less, is also pure bullshit. No one deduced a thing. They still thought it was Maura (with actual reasons for it) until Chamot showed up with the tablets and turned everything on its head again.

Oh yeah, and then they add another seventh brave...

All this said, I did appreciate that Maura really is dumber and more naïvely innocent than Chamot.

David75
Sun, 09-20-2015, 02:12 AM
I'm in with you on the barrier activation. It's a phase process that miraculously involved different people doing the right things at the right time...
Adlet, Goldov and Nachetanya.
Nachetanya out, Adlet and Goldov are candidates for the seventh... and might both be fakes since they can add braves anytime like they just did.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 09-20-2015, 04:13 AM
Well, I guess my meta-analysis of why it shouldn't be Nachetanya was just trying to read too much into it.
They did solve the problem of eliminating Nache from the story - looks like she'll just show up again later. This also solves the problem about Goldov not being an interesting character without her.
Nache's motivations are stupid, we didn't really get any sense that she could have gone outside the castle to set up this ridiculous plan, and some of her actions are just crazy. Like, she wants to kill them, but she doesn't? And we're supposed to believe she also has the foresight to set up this master plan involving another saint and science and everything?

Why did they have to say you have to pull the sword out and then put blood in the altar and then break the tablet?
Like, why not just have breaking the tablet be the trigger? All of that extra stuff just makes the explanation more ridiculous.

All that said, I really enjoyed this show. I like that they reintroduced another brave to bring back the problem (reminds me a bit of Umineko and # of people on the island). Flamie is adorable.

Might go check out the light novels at some point if they're translated.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 09-20-2015, 08:17 AM
The 7th Brave is Flamie. Since she's half-demon, she won't die from the air anyway.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-20-2015, 08:22 AM
The biggest question is WHY Nachetanya loves fiends and humans. And she couldn't have set up the entire thing herself. At most, she's just a cog in a larger plan.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 09:49 AM
I have to add, that holy shit the new brave's design is awful.

It's not because she's chubby (that's a nice surprise), it's not her stupid elephant cow armor (Goldov's armor is ram-inspired after all), it's not that her armor is more European to the general Mesoamerican styling of the series (Hans is very streetrat European and Maura is like 50/50 SE Asian and Crusades Era Fertile Crescent), it's not because of her slutty overdone makeup, it's not because Kanemoto Hisako is using her whiny voice.

It's those godforsaken red plastic glasses.

They're so out of place with the rest of her design that it is appalling.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-20-2015, 09:53 AM
And her random red lipstick. WTH were they thinking.

Munsu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 10:13 AM
And her random red lipstick. WTH were they thinking.

Maybe it's blood.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Well she IS the Saint of Blood. So the red lipstick could very well be blood.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Maybe it is. Doesn't make it look any less random and dumb.

Edort4
Mon, 09-21-2015, 09:40 AM
I knew the plot reveal was going to be pure bullshit, just like that ppl that now say that it was clear from the beginning that Nasche was the 7th.

I didnt expect to get another 7th brave tho. This show had me intrigued and infuriated at the same time so I guess that's something to appreciate-value.

Will watch 2nd part if they make it.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 09-21-2015, 10:00 AM
@Edort - White text.

Well, I knew it was Nachetanya quite early on. Everyone else were obvious red herrings. Only she was safe for the most part, and she told Adlet to go ahead to the altar. Then she went random berserk and tried a bunch of things to alter the barrier.

A lot of fake outs, but if you think meta + existing clues, Nachetanya was pretty obvious.
That and I read the book.

Edort4
Mon, 09-21-2015, 10:58 AM
@Edort - White text.

Oh... damn cheater :P