PDA

View Full Version : GATE: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri

Pages : [1] 2 3

neflight86
Sun, 07-12-2015, 02:45 PM

"A gate appears in Tokyo's Ginza district sometime in the 21st century. From the gate pour out monsters, knights from middle-age Europe and other fantasy-like beings, and they kill many citizens of Tokyo. This event is known as the Ginza Incident. The government sends a small group of soldiers from the Japanese Self-Defense Forces to the alternate world beyond the gate. Led by otaku soldier Itami Youji, they find that the villages in the world are being attacked by a dragon. An elf girl who is a survivor from the dragon's rampage joins the group in their travels across the dangerous new world.

Source: ANN"

Genre(s): Military, Political, Fantasy

HorribleSubs Ep01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=707577)
HorribleSubs Ep02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=710185)

So far pretty entertaining. A list of things I like so far: 30+ year old protagonist, very low harem building (so far), grounded dialogue that feels neither too mundane nor lofty, no blatant labeling of an evil or good side, yet. I'm enjoying it so far, and recommend you give it a try.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-12-2015, 02:54 PM
Definitely one of the shows I am most hyped for this season. They're taking it a little slow to start, but it is scheduled for 2 cours, so that should be fine.

I kind of wish they had leaned a little more towards showing the brutality in the first attack. Instead, there seemed to be a lot of implied or offscreen killing.

MFauli
Sun, 07-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Agreed, one of the better shows of the season. Still, I hated how un-scary the whole first invasion of our real world was presented. Dozens if not hundreds of innocent people were brutally slaughtered, but the atmosphere didnīt capture that at all. I mean, ffs, this should have felt akin to the eclipse in BERSERK, but not in the slightest. episode 2 was much better in that regard, although it seems wrong to just murder hundreds of thousands of underequipped medieval soldiers without negotiation beforehand.

Now Im looking forward to how Leafa fits into the military group.

David75
Sun, 07-12-2015, 03:59 PM
It's true that human lives have no value at all in that show. And I think the slaughter in ep 2 was a bit long.

Take the gate idea we had in a show 1 or 2 years ago, that was a lot more otaku heaven like and for late teens, change the setting to a more mature audience and have more killings, and that's it. Well, I'm still waiting for a little more otaku elements. We've seen dragons and there's the OP and ED. But that's not much.

Kraco
Sun, 07-12-2015, 04:11 PM
The third battle was a bit hard to watch, even though I knew one had to be coming. It can't be helped it looks silly and a huge waste to pit ancient Rome style troops against those with modern weapons (although everybody who has played Civs has experienced it). Like an immature power fantasy. No doubt that's why the studio skipped the second battle. I hope from now on we won't even see such battles anymore and it's all going to be small scale stuff, diplomacy, negotiating, and adventure. I take the elf girl as a promise of better things to come. Another thing I liked was the emperor actually using the Japanese to get rid of factions that could threaten him. Not that it would have been so difficult with all those morons in charge.

Americans got a cheap role here.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-12-2015, 04:46 PM
While it may seem silly, I totally believe this is actually what would happen.
When people attack you, you fight back. That's one thing I really appreciated about the first episode - the MC just knifes that guy. He doesn't try to talk to him or anything, because that would be stupid. It's war.

I'm sure they'd be happy to talk if the enemies came up willing to talk. But that's not what is happening, they're coming with troops and weapons.

There are actually some amusing similarities between this and what America does in the Middle East. Bombing runs with jets and drones against people in caves is pretty close technologically to shooting medieval horsemen with machine guns.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-12-2015, 04:47 PM
Another thing I liked was the emperor actually using the Japanese to get rid of factions that could threaten him. Not that it would have been so difficult with all those morons in charge.

This is the part I disliked the most. It just makes no sense for enemies of the emperor to blindly sacrifice themselves when the imperial troops didn't show up. Ridiculous.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-12-2015, 08:16 PM
I mostly like that the main character is an adult and a member of a team, not a solo teen.

Take the gate idea we had in a show 1 or 2 years ago, that was a lot more otaku heaven like and for late teens, change the setting to a more mature audience and have more killings, and that's it. Well, I'm still waiting for a little more otaku elements.
Also tying into Kraco and shinta's comments, I think Outbreak Company did a much better job with using a wormhole/gate culture for political advantage. The Emperor's strategy probably would work the first time, but there's no way they would have stuck around for a second round. Outbreak Company handled it better because it was all about economics. Japan primarily wanted Petralka's (Holy Eldant Empire) natural resources, and made sure that they would be the new world's first choice by overwhelming them with culture (and that's all in the first episode or so). Outbreak Company is underrated, the only shame is that they didn't get into much detail about the other nations.

GATE is kinda doing the same thing the other way around, using the JSDF to level the field again after losing horribly months ago, but it lacks a lot of the nuance so far.

Slow start, but it looks like it will pick up.

David75
Sun, 07-12-2015, 11:41 PM
Outbreak Company, thanks Ryll.

After such a slaughter, it should be difficult to really negociate with people from the other side. Because they know they have nothing to balance the power deficit.

let's get our otaku fantasy now !

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-12-2015, 11:59 PM
But do random villages know that? They don't have a quick communication method, so it's likely those villagers got burned without knowing the exact reason why.

Kraco
Mon, 07-13-2015, 03:01 AM
After such a slaughter, it should be difficult to really negociate with people from the other side. Because they know they have nothing to balance the power deficit.

Since the other side suggests ancient Rome style or medieval at best, they shouldn't really have much of a concept of greater nationality or such. If the random villages they encounter reckon the Japanese are super strong, those people would join the Japanese side naturally. Some nobles might also switch sides quickly, bringing whole towns with them. The times were like that.

Kraco
Fri, 07-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Episode 3 - HS

-- - -- - - - -

Helluva scales the dragon has. 0.50 HMG penetrates quite thick steel, yet this lizard didn't give a shit. Seems like it wasn't above suffering from a HEAT round, at least. Quite an inept dragon in any case, aside from its thick hide.

The gothic loli was quite amusing. The elf so far hasn't been, but I'm willing to give her some time. The wizard's apprentice seemed far less funny than the wizard himself, but I suppose that's natural. All in all, this episode didn't yet reveal too much about the alien world's domestic contributions to the main cast. At least not what they are supposed to do in the future, if anything but hanging around. It's not like we would have had a particularly strong story so far anyway.

I wonder if these guests will see the hundred thousand corpses feeding crows when they are taken back to the Japanese camp... Or did the Japanese bring over some excavators and bulldozers to get rid of the health hazard?

MFauli
Fri, 07-17-2015, 02:14 PM
This anime is getting good. I thoroughly enjoy watching real world soldiers walking amidst a fantasy rural area, haha. Letīs just hope there wonīt be too many plot threads and too little active on-going story, see Log Horizon.

As for the girls, my current choice would be Goth Loli Girl. The elfen girl looks too generic (and Iīm still shocked that apparently Im the only one who thinks sheīs a blatant copy of Leafa), and the wizard girl is just meh. Agreed, the old wizard was more fun.

I also thought that the dragon could take too much. Was hoping heīd lose at least one of his arms from that bazooka blast.

And yeah, the hundred thousands of dead soldiers are the big elephant in the room. Ya know, they had parents, lovers, friends and children, too.

Ryllharu
Fri, 07-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Helluva scales the dragon has. 0.50 HMG penetrates quite thick steel, yet this lizard didn't give a shit. Seems like it wasn't above suffering from a HEAT round, at least. Quite an inept dragon in any case, aside from its thick hide.
This bothered me a lot as well. A .50 caliber round does a tremendous amount of damage with mere grazes. They are anti-materiel rounds. Into and through things (https://youtu.be/5J9hCDr21mo?t=3m39s) it does even more. That video even shows a cavitation bubble collapse in the trail the bullet leaves. That's how fucking powerful those rounds are. That the dragon took those hits as if they were mere pebbles, but still lost an arm to the RPG ruined the suspension of disbelief a bit for me.

I do appreciate that the protagonist is more pragmatic than he is idealistic.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-17-2015, 09:31 PM
RPG >>>>>> Guns is a Japanese tradition since Resident Evil.

The lap sitting scene with the weird smiling girl was nonsensical. This entire show just leveled down one bit because of that.

Kraco
Sat, 07-18-2015, 02:37 AM
The lap sitting scene with the weird smiling girl was nonsensical. This entire show just leveled down one bit because of that.

No, it wasn't nonsensicat at all. She's clearly at least a bit a mental case. She slaughtered the bandits for her own amusement, by the looks of it, chasing them like some predator. When she noticed the MC didn't know how to deal with her, she immediately "attacked" like animals oft do. Just like people who don't know how they should behave in the company of dogs or cats mysteriously seem to be at the center of attention of the said animals. I reckon the girl chose to sit on the dude's lap precisely because it would bother him and be an inconvenience. She wanted to ride the car in any case. Above all, she seemed to be afraid of nothing.

I suppose some might take the scene as a (sexual) fanservice, but to me it was like the girl purposefully messing with the dude, who's very much a boy scout even if he's more pragmatic than idealistic.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-18-2015, 06:28 AM
and Iīm still shocked that apparently Im the only one who thinks sheīs a blatant copy of Leafa)

Or just every other blonde elf?

The dragon did lose its arm after the RPG as well.

MFauli
Sat, 07-18-2015, 06:30 AM
Or just every other blonde elf?

Examples please. And no, the elf from Record of Lodoss War does not look like a blatant reverse-copy.

The dragon did lose its arm after the RPG as well.

It definitely had 2 arms when it flew away.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-18-2015, 06:38 AM
It definitely had 2 arms when it flew away.

it had not

pre RPG 2 wings 2 arms
post RPG 2 wings 1 arm

The lap sitting scene with the weird smiling girl was nonsensical.

imo. it was the funniest scene in the whole series so far.

and about the .50 caliber discussion, they suck in BF4 compared to normal assault guns too :D
the discussion is rather odd to have because "magic" and fantasy and stuff.

Examples please. And no, the elf from Record of Lodoss War does not look like a blatant reverse-copy.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=blonde+elf
Heck, she is supposed to look like every other generic elf, because that's what she is there for. They did in on purpose..

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-18-2015, 07:03 AM
Edit: ah, Krayz33 got there for me.

In any case, excuse the rough collage.

Adjust for art-style, take away the clothes/accessories - and you get a blonde girl with a fringe, straight long hair with pointy ears.

ie a blonde elf.

http://i.imgur.com/4hWvsql.jpg

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-18-2015, 09:00 AM
I suppose some might take the scene as a (sexual) fanservice,

Uh, that's what that is. The guy on the passenger seat screamed confirmation of that several times. There are a million ways to develop an insane character. Lap sitting (of a goth loli no less) is not one of them.

MFauli
Sat, 07-18-2015, 11:10 AM
Canīt it be both?

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-18-2015, 11:23 AM
Uh, that's what that is. The guy on the passenger seat screamed confirmation of that several times. There are a million ways to develop an insane character. Lap sitting (of a goth loli no less) is not one of them.

I'm with Kraco, I'm really not seeing how this detracted from the series at all. Or even how it was nonsensical.

1. Goth loli shows up with an enormous ax.
2. JSDF personnel make note that the villagers worship her.
3. Villagers mention that riding in the Humvee is neat and comfortable.
4. Goth loli notices the discomfort of the JSDF personnel at her presence.
5. Goth loli rides in the Humvee, choosing to sit in the "front bench" ā la a wagon. This also happens to be in the commander's lap.
6. Goth loli lays her giant ax on top of the injured elf girl in the back.
7. JSDF personnel don't do anything, because she's obviously an important and imposing figure to the locals.
8. The more he complains, the more she goes "ara ara ara~"

She's teasing them, and showing off the extent of her influence. On purpose. Once she's done teasing them, she finds a spot in between the seats to enjoy the ride.

The only alternative is that she considers people and object to be the same.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-18-2015, 11:24 AM
Lap sitting (of a goth loli no less) is not one of them.
While I don't think it was done to make her look "insane" (nor do I believe Kraco meant saying that)
what's up with that part, sounds like "a goth lolita wouldn't do that, damn man fuk dis!"
and here I thought "Lolita and "loli" has come to be used as a general reference to a seductive or sexually attractive young woman" (wiki)
She's there for the same reason as the elf.

Maybe I'm reading to much into it, but her/their existence is supossed to be a "joke"

Kraco
Sat, 07-18-2015, 12:14 PM
and about the .50 caliber discussion, they suck in BF4 compared to normal assault guns too :D
the discussion is rather odd to have because "magic" and fantasy and stuff.

That's why BF4 is no good for depictions of realistic warfare. Check any version of Arma. 12.7 HMG kicks major ass. However, this show kind of tries to mix together (advertising) realistic JSDF and a fantasy world. So, they ought to try to be a bit more realistic about guns'n'stuff, even if it's difficult to balance them with magic and monsters.

what's up with that part, sounds like "a goth lolita wouldn't do that, damn man fuk dis!"
and here I thought "Lolita and "loli" has come to be used as a general reference to a seductive or sexually attractive young woman" (wiki)

Gothic lolita is a clothing, make-up, hair, and accessory style for women. Not restricted to young girls, either. It doesn't refer to loli (as a manga/anime genre) as such, although I imagine lots of the participants wouldn't mind looking like a genuine loli. You see these people in any bigger city in the West, so it's not restricted to Japan anymore. Nothing sexual about it, or at least not any more than in any random style for women.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-18-2015, 02:05 PM
that's what they "are" but not what they try to be. She is the "goal image" or whatever you call it, the dream so to say - the original.

Probably what Kurokokororoko from that incest show would've loved to look like or represent.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-18-2015, 02:25 PM
You guys need to know how to enjoy a good Goth Loli lap-sitting.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 07-18-2015, 04:02 PM
I am pretty much against loli's but I greatly enjoyed that single scene.

MFauli
Sat, 07-18-2015, 05:49 PM
I mean, Iīm not much of a loli-fan, but she was fine. Now if only this goes somewhere ... I absolutely hat aimless teasing, something that, unfortunately, is typical in all of anime. Would be great if the hero here would just get fuck the goth loli chick. Maybe his friend can get the elf girl, while theyīre at it. Stuff like that is always so awefully predictable ... in that it never goes beyond the teasing.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-18-2015, 06:09 PM
The point is that this guy works to support his otaku hobby. On the other side of the gate, his work and hobby are one.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-25-2015, 04:56 AM
HS- Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=715580)

----------------------

http://i.imgur.com/88AYplq.jpg

I thought they meant the RPGs at first.

Ryllharu
Sat, 07-25-2015, 06:05 AM
It was fine when Rory was doing it chopping up bad guys because she is presumably a psychopath, but the fact that she talks like a slut all the time regardless of action, circumstances, or mood makes her increasingly annoying.

The mage girl is coming off a little creepy this episode with the degree that she's cozying up to the JSDF, but at least it is understandable from her position as a scholar and lover of unnatural things.

Elf girl's mourning phase is getting weirder by the minute, but I think she might be the best of the lead female characters (though the supporting JSDF staffers are much better). Also: Dem Jeans (http://i.imgur.com/aY9HNbl.jpg)...

That or the princess of the Empire. She's not bad either.

The ultranationalist vibe is definitely not subtle in this series. They even threw in a whole speech about how Japan can afford to piss off more of the world if they conquer/dominate this area. Outbreak Company definitely handled the geopolitics better. It was not nearly as heavy-handed with the delivery.

MFauli
Sat, 07-25-2015, 11:28 AM
OF COURSE, the hot elven girl falls in love with the hero for no reason. lol

Anyway, I wonder how far this anime plans to take its real world politics. This episode made it seem like everbody is preparing for WW3, trying to annect the portal. Is that even realistic? I think realistically the worldīs governments would make a unified decision on what to do. And if Japan opposed that decision, theyīd get screwed quickly. Anime made it feel as if everbody would just love to go to arms lol.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 07-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Buff, I'm pretty sure they were talking about the RPGs. The shot of the helicopters just seemed out of place.

With America taking a "wait-and-see" approach and aiding Japan, I think it is pretty reasonable that the real world wouldn't really be sure what to do about this. You don't want to start WW3, and it would take a really long time to come to a decision when you have competing interests like China. I feel like Japan being attacked also gives them some leverage over the situation.

I'm not a fan of Tuka/Chuka (no idea what the official romanization is supposed to be. Definitely sounds like Tuka though, and that's what I've seen it translated as before).

I like watching Lelei go around learning about the technology and culture.

Kraco
Sat, 07-25-2015, 03:55 PM
The ultranationalist vibe is definitely not subtle in this series.

It all feels like naivist writing, but I guess ultranationalism is such.

My problem with the elf is that she doesn't feel like an elf. She seems like a human with long ears. What exactly makes her an elf? The detail her people liked bows?

I don't, at the moment, have any problems with Rory. Although the common people seemed to revere her, I understood her to be some kind of an apostle of a dark god. She ought to be obnoxious in many ways, not just by indulging in bloodbaths. That would be too superficial.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Buff, I'm pretty sure they were talking about the RPGs.

No, I'm pretty sure they were talking about Humvees and meant great iron rock.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-25-2015, 10:05 PM
No. The Humvees were specified in the next clause. The first clause specifically said they carried "tetsu no ichimotsu," which can mean iron thing or iron penis (hence cock). I'm hoping she meant the former. I guess ichimotsu can also mean weapon in a vague sort of way.

I agree that Rori (Loli in katakana, sigh) sounds like a slut all the time. She even looks like her face is botoxed and can only smile mischievously. Overall, I dislike her the most out of ALL the girls in the show so far. And she is supposed to be a loli. That says a lot.

Munsu
Sat, 07-25-2015, 10:27 PM
Trying to make a connection between the narrated story and what is shown on screen is pointless since it's obvious that the scene change it's not meant to illustrate what the barmaid is talking about, but simply used as a backdrop to the present scene as the Itami squad arrives at the base.

Nothing more, and nothing less.

MFauli
Sun, 07-26-2015, 12:39 AM
Since itīs still being talked about: If Rory stays like this, just teasing and all, I agree that itīs annoying and on the worse fan-service side of things. Now, if she actually WAS "like that", as in like the teasing, pervert-minded girl sheīs acting like, and would go through with it, aka seduce one of the soldiers and what that contains, Iīd like her much more. But yeah, right now sheīs a trope of the worst kind.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-26-2015, 06:53 AM
I can't express how much I have to cringe whenever I read your posts Mfauli.

"I WANT THEM TO PHUUUK"

MFauli
Sun, 07-26-2015, 08:26 AM
I can't express how much I have to cringe whenever I read your posts Mfauli.

"I WANT THEM TO PHUUUK"

Why are you being a douche? Donīt you see the significance between just teasing and going through with it?

Right now, Rory is bland fan-service, a walking trope. Basically, the worst of otaku culture.
Now if her character actually went on to have sex with one of the soldiers, say Itami, it would change the whole situation. She would no longer be this walking carrot stick for a virtual audience, but a defined, logical-in-herself person that behaves the way she does because of the actions and events she enjoys resulting from her persona.

Seriously, I could just search for h-pics, if all I cared about was echii scenes lol. Thatīs not what my postings are about.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-26-2015, 08:45 AM
this is your run of a mill, girl tries to seduce MC but MC is scared situation.

So in the end you ask for Itami to do his move and not the other way around, or are you suggesting she should just go and rape him?

MFauli
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:10 AM
this is your run of a mill, girl tries to seduce MC but MC is scared situation.

So in the end you ask for Itami to do his move and not the other way around, or are you suggesting she should just go and rape him?

How is this true?! We had one scene of her sitting on his lap, which obviously made him feel uncomfortable. There was no othere scene that displayed any sort of uneasiness being around Rory.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:25 AM
What you have to understand is:

If the author makes one of the leading ladies not a virgin, the fans will rape the author. See Kannagi.

Ryllharu
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:28 AM
If the author makes one of the leading ladies not a virgin, the fans will rape the author. See Kannagi.

Depends entirely on the genre. Plenty of non-virgins in seinen, shoujo and josei.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:29 AM
Oh yeah. Correction: In the shounen genre...

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-26-2015, 09:50 AM
How is this true?! We had one scene of her sitting on his lap, which obviously made him feel uncomfortable. There was no othere scene that displayed any sort of uneasiness being around Rory.

I forgot, it's your first anime.

MFauli
Sun, 07-26-2015, 10:07 AM
I forgot, it's your first anime.

Iīm judging each new anime on its own, not on what older anime did before.

Edort4
Mon, 07-27-2015, 05:36 AM
At first sight this show reminded me about Sengoku jieitai. I thought they would be going alone into that new world but I liked the idea of setting a foothold, permanent base, ressuplying and specially that its a constant connection between worlds. Sadly is an anime for teens so we dont get to see the "interesting" parts about this kind of two-worlds clash and it ignores all the real daily life consequences.

Still nice show I guess it will fall a bit more on fantasy as it progresses. Also it reminded me about a sci-fi short novel about how another species developed warp technology and tried to invade/raid earth. Sadly for them they were advanced in spacetravel but not in warfare and earth beat them mercileslly (thanks to the prowess mankind had learning how to kill each other). Then mankind steals warp technology and finds a "peaceful" (not so good/advanced at killing) galaxy to feed on.

Kraco
Fri, 07-31-2015, 01:08 PM
Episode 5 - HS

-- - - - - - -

This episode felt quite short, probably due to the fact it was missing most of the previous problems and, on the other hand, it had a clear, and interesting, destination the plot was obviously heading to. Not being a fan of flashbacks, I thought at first the origin of the princess and the order of the knights would annoy me, but in fact it was enlightening. The earlier scene where the rotten Emperor sent the princess on her way now made much more sense. I'd almost like to think the author did this on purpose, to make the princess a more plausible collaborator for the foreign forces. She wasn't beyond using the Japanese for her own purposes, but on the other hand she's willingly fighting for the town, risking her own life (or chastity, like she puts it herself). So, she's concerned about her country and its people, yet is a realistic pragmatist, even if a bit too green for the real deal. I don't see why the Japanese couldn't work with her easily enough.

The show finally decided it had enough of the language barrier. I don't particularly mind. While the inability to communicate was realistic, it was also a big hindrance to any meaningful character interaction.

The preview shows one of the newest Japanese military helicopters. What happened to sending only old technology to the other world, huh? Not that I'd really complain. It was stupid to begin with.

Munsu
Fri, 07-31-2015, 06:00 PM
Princess Piņa Colada? Not sure the point of giving the character that name.

Anyways, not much tot this episode... next one should be much better.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-31-2015, 09:21 PM
Princess Piņa Colada? Not sure the point of giving the character that name.

The same reason the loli was named Rory. This confirms that the author was intentionally joking around with the names.

Princess is by far the best girl. Aside from being the most developed (which begs the question why the 3 main heroines are paper figures at episode 5), she has the best waki. That uniform should become standard in their entire world. So is her sleeping posture.

Munsu
Fri, 07-31-2015, 09:27 PM
The same reason the loli was named Rory. This confirms that the author was intentionally joking around with the names.

Princess is by far the best girl. Aside from being the most developed (which begs the question why the 3 main heroines are paper figures at episode 5), she has the best waki. That uniform should become standard in their entire world. So is her sleeping posture.

Joking around aside (which I think it's unnecessary), Rory was more acceptable to me (really a non-issue) than Piņa Colada that seems completely out of place. So not sure if it'll be tied to something later on (which I doubt).

I don't know, it stuck out like a sore thumb when I saw it, it hints at previous world interaction which I'm doubting is the case. But who knows.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-31-2015, 09:32 PM
You do know that if you're Japanese, Rory is Loli written in katakana, right? And this show (and the original LN) was written for a Japanese audience. In the same way that Loli is a non-issue to you, Pina Colada is likely a non-issue to most Japanese, who are used to drinking shochu, umeshu, and biru.

Munsu
Fri, 07-31-2015, 09:43 PM
You do know that if you're Japanese, Rory is Loli written in katakana, right? And this show (and the original LN) was written for a Japanese audience. In the same way that Loli is a non-issue to you, Pina Colada is likely a non-issue to most Japanese, who are used to drinking shochu, umeshu, and biru.

Yeah, that has nothing to do with anything I'm saying. It's much easier to suspend my disbelief that someone was named Rory in some parallel world than finding someone named Piņa Colada.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-31-2015, 09:58 PM
If you mean it's a completely personal thing to you, then okay. My point was that Japanese people would see it the opposite way, and they are the target audience.

Munsu
Fri, 07-31-2015, 10:05 PM
If you mean it's a completely personal thing to you, then okay. My point was that Japanese people would see it the opposite way, and they are the target audience.

This has nothing to do with target audience. It's more about a parallel world and the chances of person named "Rory/Loli" vs. a person existing with a name like "Piņa Colada". That's my point in all of this, from an angle of suspension of disbelief of the existence of that name at all in that world in particular in combination with each other.

Hope that clarifies it for you.

And not wanting to deviate from where I want to focus of what I'm saying, but if Japanese is the intended audience as you say, so with your argument that his name wouldn't stick out for them, then even less reason to introduce it I'd say no?

Anyways, this has more to do with suspension of disbelief of that type of name existing at all in that world than a word that's merely a four letter combination (two syllables, or two phonetic sounds).

Yes, there's the whole what a coincidence that this Gothic Lolita is named like that, but "coincidences" I can handle... just the other seems out of place in that world as it pertains the chances of it ever having natural origins.

I'll grant you this though, for the Japanese audience (and I'm not sure how aware Japanese people are of the drink Piņa Colada, which is very popular around the world as it is), it might not break their suspension of disbelief as easy as it happened to me.

I still remain with the question of why? Why did the author find it necessary to use this name if it didn't serve a purpose? If it's for the pure fun of it, though I'd still find it unnecessary, I can roll with that. There's a good mix of fun and serious moments in this anime, but this one in particular might end up being a miss for me.

Anyways, much of a fuzz as I'm apparently making over it... it's really not that big of deal. Just a questionable choice, for now, by the author in my opinion. Nothing much more than that. I can live with it.

Kraco
Sat, 08-01-2015, 01:08 AM
Uhhuh... Suspension of disbelief was the first thing you should have left behind when watching this show. The author is no better writer than Terry Goodkind, yet unlike Goodkind, he somehow imagines he has a sense of humour. I bet he simply thought it would be terribly funny to name the princess Pina Colada, and that's it. It never must have visited his mind just how stupid it would look. But then again, seeing how the Emperor treated the poor girl, sending her and her knights on a likely suicide mission, I'd personally like to think the Emperor gave her a stupid name on purpose (ignoring the fact it's an alien world and also historically kind of too early for fancy, named drinks).

That being said, it didn't bother me overly much. If I let such a tiny thing bother me, I couldn't keep watching this for all the bigger problems.

Edort4
Sat, 08-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Great (and limited) minds think alike. Mediocre author writes a pun that works with mediocre audience. Dont read much more into it. So far is the worst I have seen in the show and thats an unexpected surprise. Gotta make do with what we have.

MFauli
Sat, 08-01-2015, 02:15 PM
We sure Rory is written "rori" in Japanese? From how Itami pronounces her name, Iīd be inclined to write it "rouri" in Japanese (since the ro was drawn out, not as quickly pronounced as a "rori" would have me say).

Anyway, speaking of her, Rory was super hot this episode. Sucks that this isnīt the kind of show where the hero would ignore the obvious choice (the elf girl) and go for the self-aware, crazy goth loli. :>

Not sure why Itami didnīt just order 5 of his men to each gate. Then shoot the bandits (their shields wonīt help) and throw a few grenade to round up things. Was a bit silly having to listen to his "weīre only 12" talk, when we know how much stronger the real worldīs military is compared to some medieval guys.

Also, I hate that the enemy mage girl will somehow be spared and become an ally. Thatīs just my firm believe btw, not a spoiler. Itīs just a bit predictable how every single cute girl with an elaborate design joins the hero. sigh

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-01-2015, 02:50 PM
I think he's trying to save the Princess's face. If he went around disobeying the commander, it wouldn't lead to a good relationship afterward. Sure, in this anime it does, but what if the princess were a total ass?

Sounds like Ro-ri with a dash. Katakana uses dashes instead of "u" to extend "o" ending characters. That doesn't change the fact that it is blatantly hinting to the word loli. In the same way Munsu phrased it, why the hell did they choose that name over billions of others for the goth loli character if they DIDN'T want to make the link?

Kraco
Sat, 08-01-2015, 04:03 PM
Sounds like Ro-ri with a dash. Katakana uses dashes instead of "u" to extend "o" ending characters.

The official site writes it "rourii" in katakana.

Not sure why Itami didnīt just order 5 of his men to each gate. Then shoot the bandits (their shields wonīt help) and throw a few grenade to round up things. Was a bit silly having to listen to his "weīre only 12" talk, when we know how much stronger the real worldīs military is compared to some medieval guys.

It wouldn't be too smart to divide so few people to many places when nobody knows what could happen. They have seen plenty of magical creatures already and some mages as well. While they have prevailed against any armies sent against them, it wasn't with just 12 men. Not to mention they could easily be backstabbed if they don't watch their own backs with sufficient force and integrity. They don't exactly have many friends in that world so far, apart from the handful of refugees.

I wouldn't have split my squad either, had I been there. Maybe in two when performing a strike against opponents, but not permanently. Too risky. Based on the preview he made the wisest and safest choice and called in an air strike. Why not when it was an option? Much better than trying to play a hero and lose someone.

Munsu
Sat, 08-01-2015, 04:09 PM
I think he's trying to save the Princess's face. If he went around disobeying the commander, it wouldn't lead to a good relationship afterward. Sure, in this anime it does, but what if the princess were a total ass?

Sounds like Ro-ri with a dash. Katakana uses dashes instead of "u" to extend "o" ending characters. That doesn't change the fact that it is blatantly hinting to the word loli. In the same way Munsu phrased it, why the hell did they choose that name over billions of others for the goth loli character if they DIDN'T want to make the link?

Yeah, the spelling is completely irrelevant.

MFauli
Sat, 08-01-2015, 05:18 PM
Based on the preview he made the wisest and safest choice and called in an air strike.

Do we reeeeally have to talk again about how mentioning the preview contents is the same as spoiling stuff? I never watch the preview because most of the time they spoil the big twist of next weekīs episode.

Munsu
Sat, 08-01-2015, 05:21 PM
Do we reeeeally have to talk again about how mentioning the preview contents is the same as spoiling stuff? I never watch the preview because most of the time they spoil the big twist of next weekīs episode.

And from an Admin!!!

(honestly don't recall our policy on previews)

Kraco
Sat, 08-01-2015, 05:38 PM
And from an Admin!!!

(honestly don't recall our policy on previews)

We don't have any policy on previews. We only have a policy on the latest translated episode. All of the episode.

But sure, I can try to avoid mentioning them in the future in this thread, if I remember to keep myself in check. Not a big deal. I don't make a point of watching them myself, but very often shows boast a real scene still after the ED, sometimes a most significant one, so it's not wise to stop watching when the credits start rolling unless you check the remaining time carefully enough to eliminate the possibility.

Munsu
Sat, 08-01-2015, 05:54 PM
We don't have any policy on previews. We only have a policy on the latest translated episode. All of the episode.

But sure, I can try to avoid mentioning them in the future in this thread, if I remember to keep myself in check. Not a big deal. I don't make a point of watching them myself, but very often shows boast a real scene still after the ED, sometimes a most significant one, so it's not wise to stop watching when the credits start rolling unless you check the remaining time carefully enough to eliminate the possibility.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I think we might have had a bit of a special exception for the Naruto forums or so, but overall yeah, previews of subbed episodes were fair game.

Penner
Sat, 08-01-2015, 06:04 PM
This whole "preview discussion" thing has been brought up a few times on different shows over the years, and personally I think it's totally okay to discuss/mention stuff that is in the previews at the end, since they are actually a part of the episode.

But if people are that bothered by it i can at least try to avoid talking about them if need be. (I'm not exactly the most active poster here anyway, lol)

On the topic of names, when i heard the princess name was Piņa Co Lada my reaction was pretty much this http://i.imgur.com/R5fJOAq.gif

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 08-01-2015, 10:54 PM
I also thought Pinya Co Rada was a pretty stupid name for someone to have, but in a fantasy world, anything goes really. I'm okay with Rory though, because she's the best.

I just hope they play the famous song from the next episode's title next episode.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-01-2015, 11:34 PM
The author was drinking some Piņa Coloda when he had to come up with a name. It explains everything.

I knew you would say that, and I agree. Rory is pretty alright though. I don't mind her. I can't tell whether the elf girl is straight or not. Elves traditionally are pretty open though.

As for MFauli's question about splitting forces, they've got limited ammo. They came out expecting to trade dragon scales, not take on 600 armoured people. That said, I'm sure no one would get past the gates if they sat their Humvees there. Just drive outside and knock them all down. That's what I'm doing around Gotham at the moment. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUqfDETWLHI) :p

Kraco
Sun, 08-02-2015, 02:10 AM
As for MFauli's question about splitting forces, they've got limited ammo.

Nah, a box of ammo for assault rifles takes next to no space in a car. They could be carrying thousands of rounds. The .50 cal HMG is a different beast, but I bet they have plenty of bullets for it as well. Considering they are basically at war, it would be beyond strange not to carry enough supplies.

KrayZ33
Wed, 08-05-2015, 02:43 PM
What happened to sending only old technology to the other world, huh? Not that I'd really complain. It was stupid to begin with.

Why? Perfectly fine move imho.
I mean, what benefits do they get from sending new bullet-proof humvees instead of the old models... or radar AA instead of older ones.

MFauli
Wed, 08-05-2015, 03:35 PM
Why? Perfectly fine move imho.
I mean, what benefits do they get from sending new bullet-proof humvees instead of the old models... or radar AA instead of older ones.

probably the same benefits NASA gains from sending state-of-the-art technology into space and not outdated gargabe.

KrayZ33
Wed, 08-05-2015, 03:49 PM
Hmm, no. Didn't even know NASA send armed to the teeth sats into space to fight aliens, nice.
Sending high-end tech to a new unknown frontier first is probably the most stupid thing you could do.
"Here, enjoy having all my tech". Though I've got to say, reverse engineering is really not an issue here

You'll just end up with a higher deficit at the end of the year... they could send ww2 weapons and still gain the same results.
Hell, if you believe soldiers only use up-to date gear and equipment nowadays you are in for a suprise and they are not fightning people with sharpened sticks.
So sending Cold-War equipment seems to be fair enough.

Kraco
Thu, 08-06-2015, 09:49 AM
They sent in a very limited number of people for various obvious and smart reasons. If I was sent in, not knowing at all what's on the other side, I think I'd rather be equipped with the latest and greatest stuff, not some old shit from surplus stockpiles, just because both you and the equipment are then perfectly expendable and not a great loss if lost. Sure, it naturally was enough to counter medieval opponents, but it does send a certain message to you if the brass is more concerned about losing good equipment than losing lives.

That was my problem with it. Special forces on special missions with limited people should have the best stuff.

Munsu
Fri, 08-07-2015, 05:11 PM
Episode 6 is out:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=720517

----------------------------

Really disappointed with the show of force used. Would've rather seen our small squad handle everything.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-07-2015, 06:51 PM
I might as well just repost this:

[15:36] <%Ryllharu> The helicopter scene in GATE is badass, even though it's fucked up for the crews to play Ride of the Valkries to get amped up.
[15:36] <%Ryllharu> At least the base commander directly accuses them of being possessed by Col. Kilgore's ghost.
[15:41] <%Ryllharu> I give this series bonus points for illustrating why there's nothing romantic or heroic about modern warfare.
[15:42] <%Ryllharu> Saving other people maybe. The rest is just wanton slaughter.

I found Rory's death-orgasms to be in rather poor taste. The young lady JSDF soldier going berserker rage and nearly getting herself killed should also earn her a punishment. It was reckless, and bloodlust Rory can take care of herself.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-07-2015, 09:40 PM
The best part about the episode were Itami feeling up Rory's breast and keeping a straight face, AND still getting hit for it, AND keeping the damage realistically. It was an excellent satire/twist to the usual boob rubbing scene.

The JillSDF girl looked pretty cool, but all of that fighting just seems irrelevant in the larger picture. I don't get if this show wants to promote or degrade the value of human lives. It explicitly tries the former but ends up doing the latter.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-07-2015, 10:09 PM
The JillSDF girl looked pretty cool, but all of that fighting just seems irrelevant in the larger picture. I don't get if this show wants to promote or degrade the value of human lives. It explicitly tries the former but ends up doing the latter.

I get the impression that lives are precious but fragile (and therefore precious).

Rory gets so much shit. Poor Rory, you can't please everyone :S. I liked the air-support. If you have the resources, use them. It's all about making the playing fields as uneven as possible.

I wasn't aware until this episode that the princess came without the rest of her knights. WTF where they doing?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-07-2015, 11:19 PM
And why the hell are those omake knights so arrogant? Did they just threaten the one being seriously trying to get a peaceful link with their world? They really need some punishing, eromanga style.

The fragile lives that Itami carelessly abandoned as he twiddled his thumbs on whether to send reinforcements from his end of the wall, which includes Rory the imba loli, didn't seem too precious to me.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-07-2015, 11:51 PM
And why the hell are those omake knights so arrogant? Did they just threaten the one being seriously trying to get a peaceful link with their world? They really need some punishing, eromanga style.

To them, they're threatenning the green soldier who is part of the group responsible for destroying armies. I don't know exactly how informed their people are about the forces sent through the portal to attack Earth.

The fragile lives that Itami carelessly abandoned as he twiddled his thumbs on whether to send reinforcements from his end of the wall, which includes Rory the imba loli, didn't seem too precious to me.

Didn't he call them in from the beginning when he had the "favour to ask"?(Ep05, 15:45) And he balanced politics with his decision. It's not his fault that the princess turned out to be too proud and noob. After the afternoon battle I thought she had a cool head on her shoulders as well at first.

-------------

edit: rather than portraying something about human life, I think this show about showing off JSDF prowess by matching them with Medieval soldiers. :p

Americans have their Hollywood movies with a hot intel officer or spy. Japan has anime with elf/loli/mages as eyecandy.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-08-2015, 12:49 AM
In a better anime, Itami would've convinced Princess to leave one or two of his people on each wall for better communication, allowing him to negotiate with the Princess about resource allocation the moment it became necessary. But oh well elf loli anime sells.

EDIT:

To put it in simple terms, this could've been so much more than loli orgasming, Wagner flaunting random violence with fantasy ecchi service. But it isn't.

To them, they're threatenning the green soldier who is part of the group responsible for destroying armies.

AHAHAHA. That is brilliant. Threaten someone, likely a representative based on his behavior (that did not show hostility, btw), from the force that casually brutalized yours. Applause.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-08-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm with Kraco though. I wouldn't split my force. Despite how friendly the townsfolk are, JSDF is still in enemy territory. The Rose Knights reminded us that.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-08-2015, 01:57 AM
But he left himself hostage with those same Rose Knights. He could easily leave scouts in each area without revealing themselves. For example, they could easily disguise themselves as townsfolk in order to get a better grasp of the area. Even without doing that, he could've negotiated the moment he realized the Princess was trying to make them sacrificial lambs. If they show how competent they are, the entire stupid massacre of townsfolk never would've happened. There's no point in keeping the JSDF's martial prowess a secret if they end up sending a fleet of (randomly dancing WTF??) choppers to the scene.

But yeah, elf and loli.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-08-2015, 03:41 AM
Oh this was fun to watch.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-08-2015, 04:49 AM
1) They approached the town to trade. Their mission was the escort the three girls.
2) They found the town was under siege so lent their aid to the commanding officer there.

In either case, it wasn't their job nor interest to infiltrate it or upset the command there. Once he realised the officer didn't trust his men, he sent help for aerial support.

The Princess expected to pay dearly for having the JSDF aid them in the end. Imagine what they could have done if all 12 of his squad had their backs open, posted around the city walls? Their strength also comes from fighting as a unit, not as individual hitmen/spies/assassin.

As for lending himself as a hostage - it meant the knights didn't pursue his men particularly hard. They answer to the princess, so he just needs to follow them and have her explain everything. It is by mere coincidence that he's now in close proximity to blonde ringlets and white roses.

I don't know about the dancing choppers. I really thought they were just going to blast scary music to freak the enemy out as their "peacekeeping" mission...

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-08-2015, 06:03 AM
In either case, it wasn't their job nor interest to infiltrate it or upset the command there. Once he realised the officer didn't trust his men, he sent help for aerial support.

The Princess expected to pay dearly for having the JSDF aid them in the end. Imagine what they could have done if all 12 of his squad had their backs open, posted around the city walls? Their strength also comes from fighting as a unit, not as individual hitmen/spies/assassin.
The thing is Itami isn't that stupid. The Empire already knows how strong the SDF is, they've lost 5-6 armies to it.

But what they didn't know is how little the cost is for the SDFs overwhelming power. It doesn't take them years of weaning dragons for aerial cavalry, it doesn't require mages upon mages. What Itami accomplished with the "basically nothing" peace accord is showed the Princess that the overwhelming display of power they saw firsthand is something the SDF can routinely do. One of their soldiers can kill a dozen of their shielded fighters in a matter of moments, their armored Pegasus can take out half a battalion is less than a minute...and they brush it off as no big deal or cost.

They took a pittance for all that effort. A tax exemption, a request that the enemy combatants are imprisoned and not executed, a little information, and a handful of exotic prisoners. They expected him to ask for the entire city or huge shipments of grain.

That peace accord was more horrifying to the Princess and her attendant than the display of power.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-08-2015, 06:11 AM
I don't see the connection between your post and mine. Was it misquoted?

Or did you mean the Princess isn't that stupid?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-08-2015, 09:32 AM
The dancing choppers were just the soldiers being warfreaks.

I didn't say they should become individual hitmen. What they severely lacked in that battle was recon. Itami looked like he was completely unsure what was happening on the other wall, and so many lives could have been saved had he been able to communicate with the Princess. A single representative left with the commander of the forces could've resolved that. I mentioned that that person should disguise himself because you brought up the fact that they didn't trust the Princess (which still sort of doesn't make sense because Itami's "trust" in her led to so many people getting killed).

That same trust problem extends to lending himself hostage. What's the guarantee that he won't just be suddenly killed when his men scrambled off or when he was shouting and waving telling them to run? Because plot armor.

I completely understand your point about it not being their business to defend the fortress or save lives (seriously). Itami did what was convenient from his standpoint, making saving the lives of the fort soldiers second priority. That's why I'm finding an inconsistency in the message the show is trying to deliver. Is Itami an idealist or a pragmatist? His actions are all over the place.

Of course, you can also argue that Itami simply wasn't smart enough to think of contingency plans and completely believed that the brigands would attack their side of the wall.

MFauli
Sat, 08-08-2015, 09:32 AM
This is so frustrating to watch. Those girl knights are alive pretty much only cause theyīre girls. Had they been guys, Itami didnīt make the impression of having intervened then. So dumb. And of course that enemy harpye girl survived, too. Too much otaku fantasy at work.

The Rory orgasm was dumb, too, though even dumber was the lack of reaction from the soldiers surrounding her. A goth loli girl is having an audible orgasm and everybody keeps a straight face? LOL

On the other hand, I really want to see Rory fucked now. Gonna see if i can find doujins or whatever. At least Itami copped a feel. Yay.

The fighting was boring. Both the helicopters and Rory are way too overpowered. there never was any doubt about who would win.

Playing music during a mission where youīll kill human lives is also super fucked up. the commander should lose his rank.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-08-2015, 09:43 AM
Don't forget how the choppers kept dancing to the music in midair for no reason. This happened way before they arrived at the battlefield.

On the other hand, I actually liked Itami's choice of prisoners. It actually answers my question about this show's direction. The plot basically follows Itami's whims, and according to his own mouth, he is an otaku first and a soldier second. Which otaku wouldn't want to be left alone with two hot female knights? His desire to conquer them must have boiled over.

MFauli
Sat, 08-08-2015, 10:42 AM
he is an otaku first and a soldier second. Which otaku wouldn't want to be left alone with two hot female knights? His desire to conquer them must have boiled over.

thatīs basically the only explanation that makes sense ... and itīs fucking stupid, lol.

On a sidenote, shinta: please keep an open eye for hot Rory-pics. Sheī ll definitely be the girl for my fall season signature ;P

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-08-2015, 02:00 PM
The fighting was boring. Both the helicopters and Rory are way too overpowered. there never was any doubt about who would win.

That's the fun part in this show. I'll have to admit that at some point, I want to see them struggle, but that's hopefully a few more eps away and it's probably not the empire that'll give them a hard time but maybe another nation or something.
Right now, I want them to kick ass and leave an impression.
If the enemies were to have a chance right now, it'd be even worse in terms of "realism" (lol) and believability

MFauli
Sat, 08-08-2015, 02:10 PM
well, the enemies having no chance against modern weaponry is okay. But Roryīs power is ridiculous. Itīs pretty much "is Rory there? Okay, letīs retreat with our 1000 men army!"

lol

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-08-2015, 02:12 PM
What I'm on the fence about was whether Rory would've been fine without help. There were several scenes where enemies snuck up on her flank but were taken out by support. Was she so awesome that she could predict when and where ally fire will come from or was she just really composed despite being in actual danger?

Kraco
Sat, 08-08-2015, 02:26 PM
I have no doubt Itami made the decision to have his troops retreat and let himself become a captive not because of any fancy plans for greater good or anything like that, but because they encountered a group of sexy bishoujo knights and he wanted to become their prisoner. He wants to be manhandled by them hard M style. Otherwise the whole scene simply can't be explained at all as it makes zero sense. The knights were of no consequences as a threat, and if the knights happened to attack first, they wouldn't be protected by any treaty. I don't know if I can really blame him, though: He didn't want to be an active soldier anyway, so maybe this is his dream and fantasy come true.

I had no problems with the rest of the episode. Like I said before, Itami handled everything professionally by ordering air support instead of risking his own men. He only left for the scene when the choppers were there, so the risk was getting low. Or would have been low without that one lunatic.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 08-08-2015, 03:54 PM
I have no doubt Itami made the decision to have his troops retreat and let himself become a captive not because of any fancy plans for greater good or anything like that, but because they encountered a group of sexy bishoujo knights and he wanted to become their prisoner. He wants to be manhandled by them hard M style. Otherwise the whole scene simply can't be explained at all as it makes zero sense. The knights were of no consequences as a threat, and if the knights happened to attack first, they wouldn't be protected by any treaty. I don't know if I can really blame him, though: He didn't want to be an active soldier anyway, so maybe this is his dream and fantasy come true.

I had no problems with the rest of the episode. Like I said before, Itami handled everything professionally by ordering air support instead of risking his own men. He only left for the scene when the choppers were there, so the risk was getting low. Or would have been low without that one lunatic.
Itami pretty much only had two choices here:
1) Open fire on the knights
2) Surrender

Only moments ago, he made the first peaceful treaty with the enemy. The last thing he wants to do is cause an incident by slaughtering the princesses' personal knight squad.
He very quickly had to make the decision, and decided that it would be better to just go with them back to the city and resolve the incident. That is the simplest option and nobody has to get hurt.

On the episode as a whole, I thought it was pretty good. Quite a few war freaks between the helicopter squad and the crazy CQC soldier girl. I totally believe some people would be like that, though. Especially since the JSDF probably never gets much action.
The Rorygasm was a bit much, but the stunned looks from the squad were pretty amusing.
The absolute terror instilled in the princess came across very clearly.

Pina's attendant staring at the terms trying to figure out how that could possibly be all was pretty funny.

Itami picking out subhumans actually makes complete sense. Wouldn't you want to take the new species back to learn more about them? Regular humans aren't nearly as interesting, and he already has a few refugees back at the hill.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-08-2015, 04:37 PM
Itami picking out subhumans actually makes complete sense. Wouldn't you want to take the new species back to learn more about them? Regular humans aren't nearly as interesting, and he already has a few refugees back at the hill.Completely agree. They have all the intel they'll need for a while on the human nations because of the 1000 silver of information they purchased in lieu of more currency.

What the SDF severely lacks is information on non-human cultures and how they tie into the geopolitics of the nearby area. The elves were a neutral village, and there may be many more non-human villages out there that Japan can befriend for access to rare goods and to recruit native spies.

It's not him being an otaku and picking those girls because they are fantasy clichés, so much as him recognizing the potential value of fantasy land non-humans for their political/combat efforts because he is an otaku. A narrow, but very key distinction.

MFauli
Sat, 08-08-2015, 05:04 PM
Itīs just completely unrealistic, how Itami risked his life there. No soldier would do that, and Iīm saying that confidently without ever having been one. Give a round of warning shots or something.

No, he did what he did cause it was a group of sexy lady knights.

The Rorygasm was a bit much, but the stunned looks from the squad were pretty amusing.

screenshot pls

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 08-08-2015, 05:24 PM
Firing warning shots sounds like a surefire way to start a massive battle. They would just assume you're using some magic to create sound as a distraction and charge you or something.
Itami is also basically held at swordpoint, so they can't really screw around.

Right after Rory says she's going to go crazy, the two older guys look at each other like "What is wrong with this girl?"
Then it cuts to the two younger guys who are like "What in the world is going on over there?"
Considering they probably have no idea what she's even saying, it seemed like a pretty appropriate reaction to me.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-08-2015, 05:39 PM
Itami pretty much only had two choices here:
1) Open fire on the knights
2) Surrender

Only moments ago, he made the first peaceful treaty with the enemy. The last thing he wants to do is cause an incident by slaughtering the princesses' personal knight squad.
He very quickly had to make the decision, and decided that it would be better to just go with them back to the city and resolve the incident. That is the simplest option and nobody has to get hurt.

Then why did he go bat nuts and shout out commands for his squad to run away? Going back peacefully with all of his squad to resolve the misunderstanding is the safest option. Waving your hand around and screaming in a foreign language while at spear point, causing giant metal vehicles to suddenly move IS NOT a safe move.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-08-2015, 06:53 PM
Itīs just completely unrealistic, how Itami risked his life there. No soldier would do that, and Iīm saying that confidently without ever having been one. Give a round of warning shots or something.

*Gasp* A military movie/series that's not realistic and shows off heroic deeds and decisions made by soldiers?

Then why did he go bat nuts and shout out commands for his squad to run away? Going back peacefully with all of his squad to resolve the misunderstanding is the safest option.

Wasn't it pretty obvious that the knights were going to fight? He sent them away to prevent the fight from starting. The knights ordered them to surrender.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 08-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Then why did he go bat nuts and shout out commands for his squad to run away? Going back peacefully with all of his squad to resolve the misunderstanding is the safest option. Waving your hand around and screaming in a foreign language while at spear point, causing giant metal vehicles to suddenly move IS NOT a safe move.

They were like 2 seconds from opening fire after he got slapped. That was the only way for them not to be massacred.
It was unlikely the knights would calm down with an enemy squad right there.

He made a split-second decision to defuse the situation.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-08-2015, 10:31 PM
Hostages have value. You don't kill hostages unless you have to. Having a hostage makes you feel safer. You can also tickle him for information.

Having no hostages makes you feel unsafe. Having no hostages and an armed squad in front of you makes you feel even less so.

It's pretty straight forward.

Kraco
Sun, 08-09-2015, 01:28 AM
All such reasoning is nonsense. He wanted to become their boytoy, plain and simple. Just prior to this we saw him taking a very cautious, and sensible, route to ensure none of his men would die during the city siege. Now he got out of his car for no reason whatsoever. He could have staid in the car in the first place and ordered them all to retreat if that's his supposed master plan. Horses carrying knights would have lost that race by default. He could also have used Rory, if he really wanted to have a perfectly peaceful conclusion. Rory doesn't seem to be under bloodlust anymore, so she wouldn't have started to slaughter the knights, but the knights would have listened to her out of reverence. The most smart approach would have been to talk with them, without exposing himself to danger like he did. I'm far from sure that princess's knights would have really started the fight, even if they were behaving aggressively. If they had, just shoot the horses and be done with it.

Itami wanted to become a rug for the ladies to step on, following his sexual fantasies. No other way to explain this. I hope he gets demoted if he's ever released.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 08-09-2015, 04:15 AM
He got out of the car because one of the knights had drawn a sword and had their hand on his soldier's collar.

Any rash actions have a chance of getting people killed. I really don't think there were any other good options.

I don't know where you're getting this crazy masochist thing from.

Kraco
Sun, 08-09-2015, 04:57 AM
I don't know where you're getting this crazy masochist thing from.

From the fact he seems to be enjoying his life of a face bruised by Rory. If the situation indeed was as delicate and dangerous as you say, why did he get out of the car? That makes no sense. He got out hoping for this sort of a conclusion. That's why he got rid of all friendlies as fast as he could.

MFauli
Sun, 08-09-2015, 05:05 AM
@Moogles: It doesnīt make sense for a professional soldier to sacrifice his own life in that kind of situation. Thatīs just not how military works and therefore is dumb.In that kind of situation theyīd have stayed sitting inside the car. As soon as those wannabe knights drew their swords, theyīd have given a verbal warning, then warning shots. And if those knights then decide to attack ... itīs entirely their own fault for provoking violence.

Itami had a mind boner and ignored all and any reason. That is all.

Ryllharu
Sun, 08-09-2015, 05:14 AM
I'm with Moogs.

Stupid as it is how he did it, Itami got out of the vehicle to attempt to negotiate. It's less intimidating to do so from an apparent equal or weaker position (i.e. not in the vehicle).

Those knights don't understand what the Humvees are, they don't understand how overwhelmingly powerful the SDF is compared, and they don't know about the deal he already made with the princess. He tried to defuse the situation, and when he realized it was getting worse, he had his own people back off to avoid the bloodbath. The blonde bishoujo knight isn't going to kill him, she's gonna take him right back to Pina.

Itami can't risk a single one of his soldiers getting killed. He's on a diplomatic mission, yet a few in his squad are clearly trigger-happy. He loses a soldier to the people they're attempting to make peace with, and his squad won't want to do anything else but kill "the enemy," from there on out. The SDF is in a position of power, they can afford to relent a bit here and there.

Don't forget that the SDF can probably wipe out the entire active military force of this world in a matter of months at most, but that won't get Japan what they want out of this new world. The parallels with recent global conflicts are pretty obvious. De-escalating any conflict they come across is preferable to continually using force.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2015, 08:49 AM
The execution was horrible, plain and simple.

@Buff - You have to consider how the scene played out. The knights were at full alert, then the leader of the enemy force suddenly shouts out (in a foreign language so they had no idea he was saying retreat) and waves his hands, and then all his troops start moving. Normally, the knights would've reacted and started fighting, thinking it was commencement of hostilities. But no one moved. Plot FTW.

The best way was for him to command his troops to surrender and safely go back to the city. Why didn't he do this? His split-second decision was wrong, and the turnout was quite unbelievable.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm fine with what he did as long as he himself understands that it isn't the best course of action. He's an otaku, and there were 2 hot knights. If that's his reason and he confirms as much, I'm okay with it. I just don't want the show to play this off as a brilliant move on his part because it isn't.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-09-2015, 12:06 PM
itīs entirely their own fault for provoking violence.

which is totally irrelevant
It's really not that hard to understand what he tried to do there.. and it had nothing to do with having a nice time with the girls.

MFauli
Sun, 08-09-2015, 01:21 PM
and it had nothing to do with having a nice time with the girls.

not buying into this, sorry.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 08-09-2015, 01:59 PM
@Buff - You have to consider how the scene played out. The knights were at full alert, then the leader of the enemy force suddenly shouts out (in a foreign language so they had no idea he was saying retreat) and waves his hands, and then all his troops start moving. Normally, the knights would've reacted and started fighting, thinking it was commencement of hostilities. But no one moved. Plot FTW.

The best way was for him to command his troops to surrender and safely go back to the city. Why didn't he do this? His split-second decision was wrong, and the turnout was quite unbelievable.

I think you have to consider how little the knights know about the SDF to understand their actions in this scenario.
A whole knight squad has just stopped a tiny enemy contingent of 3 carriages? on the road. While questioning one of the seemingly unarmed drivers?, a seemingly leader-type person appears, also unarmed, and tries to negotiate.
When the knights exert their authority in power and numbers by slapping him, he yells something. Since no mages appear and no armed warriors exit the carriages, this isn't a threatening situation at all. Instead, they've just captured the enemy leader.

From Itami's perspective, you have to understand the whole situation happens in like 30 seconds or less.
They're coming back from making the first successful peace treaty. He absolutely doesn't want to kill anybody or start a new conflict. As they try to talk their way out, his man gets grabbed, so he jumps out of the car to negotiate, thinking they'll let him explain.
Instead, he gets slapped and his troops are about to open fire. So he tells them to run away.

It really does all make sense.
You could say Itami is naive, thinking that he could negotiate. The absolute safest choice would have been to just go off-road and drive around them. Other than that though, I don't think it makes sense to criticize the rest of his actions.

MFauli
Sun, 08-09-2015, 02:05 PM
He absolutely doesn't want to kill anybody or start a new conflict.

Nobody wants that. But please tell me what you think would happen, if a group of american soldiers encountered a unknown group of afghan people with firearms. They donīt understand each other due to language barrier, and even the culture is very different. Now the afghans point their weapons at the american soldiers - what would happen? Thatīs a rethorical question btw. Of course, the american soldiers would, at the very moment the afghans move their firearms, blow the unknown party to hell and back again. Unless we assume that japanese soldiers are trained completely differently, the same should have happened here with Itamiīs group.

Again, nobody wants anybody to die - but no soldier would risk his life for such an unpredictable outcome. And it doesnīt make a soldier "evil" to shoot in such situation.

Of course, it was a group of hot lady knights and Itami had a boner, so ...

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Now the afghans point their weapons at the american soldiers - what would happen?

It's funny that you don't see the possibility that this is the reason why he did all that.
That aside, are you talking about Afghan military or terrorists/rebels?

It's a difference if they are bound to a treaty or not. Dunno, doesn't really fit here. You could say it's as if they left a hole in the berlin wall or something and both east and west troops struggle to find out who is in control and the first shot could lead to war again.

And then there was this "doctrine" in the past: "Don't shoot unless you are shot at" Who knows what their RoE currently are, now that they achieved a more friendly relationship.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2015, 04:36 PM
I think you have to consider how little the knights know about the SDF to understand their actions in this scenario.
A whole knight squad has just stopped a tiny enemy contingent of 3 carriages? on the road. While questioning one of the seemingly unarmed drivers?, a seemingly leader-type person appears, also unarmed, and tries to negotiate.
When the knights exert their authority in power and numbers by slapping him, he yells something. Since no mages appear and no armed warriors exit the carriages, this isn't a threatening situation at all. Instead, they've just captured the enemy leader.

The knights wanted to capture them. They moved. It's really odd for those knights to do nothing.

EDIT: I rewatched it and the whole scene really was done poorly. Itami had more than enough time to run back to a vehicle then command them to retreat. Did you see how leisurely the blond knight tried to apprehend him when he shouted and the gap between them? The way it was done made it seem like Itami wanted to be captured.

Just to make it clear that I'm not just mindlessly griping, I'll propose an alternative way to get the same result.

Itami gets slapped and immediately gets grabbed. This is important to make him staying behind logical.
Instead of shouting in panic, he calmly gives out his retreat order to prevent agitating the enemy. Skillfully using a radio at this point makes sense.
His people retreat, he gets stuck with the knights, and we get the same result we have now, only without all the oddness.

Edort4
Sun, 08-09-2015, 05:05 PM
I think, too, that it made no sense. There are a lot of things that dont make sense. Usually the leader goes on head. Second you dont get into "melee distance" to speak to hostile people, even leaving partial cover (door) is unheard of but going into the danger zone is plain stupid. Third you dont grant a free hostage, showing how you dont give a fuck cause everything is under control and the "misunderstanding" is going to be cleared easily and then create a fking amazing ruckuss to prevent more hostages being taken.

Shouting like a crazy guy, then having 2 humvees and an armored truck stepping the pedal and drifting while you have a sword on your neck. Only by the surprise of the more than 100 dB that those engines make at high rpm that sword should have ended inside his neck.

Obviously its an anime and we should just let our minds fly free into the lands of no fucking sense.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2015, 05:25 PM
There's a limit to everything.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 08-09-2015, 05:38 PM
EDIT: I rewatched it and the whole scene really was done poorly. Itami had more than enough time to run back to a vehicle then command them to retreat. Did you see how leisurely the blond knight tried to apprehend him when he shouted and the gap between them? The way it was done made it seem like Itami wanted to be captured.

Just to make it clear that I'm not just mindlessly griping, I'll propose an alternative way to get the same result.

Itami gets slapped and immediately gets grabbed. This is important to make him staying behind logical.
Instead of shouting in panic, he calmly gives out his retreat order to prevent agitating the enemy. Skillfully using a radio at this point makes sense.
His people retreat, he gets stuck with the knights, and we get the same result we have now, only without all the oddness.

If Itami had broken into a run, who knows what the knights would have done. That could have very easily started a melee. He could have been run down on horseback or had a dagger thrown at him or something.

The knights' actions make sense when you consider that they think they have the upper hand significantly in this encounter. They've got a full squad of mounted knights against a few carriages and strangely clothed but unarmed people.
If you don't know about guns, Itami's squad appears extremely unthreatening, especially given his demeanor when he gets out of the car.

I don't disagree that Itami suspected he would be captured. At the same time, he also seems to think he can talk his way out of this one, as long as he just gets a chance to explain. This doesn't seem too unreasonable, since he can name-drop the princess and explain what happened. The knights shouldn't have a reason to hurt him.
Positing that he did this out of same masochistic impulse just seems really weird to me.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-09-2015, 06:20 PM
Now the afghans point their weapons at the american soldiers - what would happen?

Except:

1) you are returning from an Afghan city, and
2) You just saved their Afghan boss, and
3) They're knights in shining armour.

These girls are dangerous if provoked, but they wouldn't slaughter you like a lamb on the spot either. Even in medieval days they know about intel, and torturing for intel. Look at this little green man with his black eye.. let's kill him on the spot show him to Princess!

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-09-2015, 06:31 PM
@Mom - Watch it again. All the knights were in front of the vehicles, and Itami had vehicles right beside and behind him. If he ran while shouting for retreat and entered a vehicle, they would've been able to escape, especially because those knights seem to have incredibly slow reaction times.

And remember, the knights didn't even flinch when he turned around and started shouting, causing the vehicles to suddenly move around. Running away is not much different and actually gets him out of danger. The moment he enters a vehicle, it's a done deal. It's definitely safer than becoming a hostage.

In any case, I wasn't arguing that he should run. I was illustrating how badly the animated scenario was done. It's like the makers knew what had to happen but didn't care about how it should happen. If you read my alternative scenario, this could all have happened in a better way but result in the same thing.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-09-2015, 06:35 PM
I do agree that his "run!" didn't sound 100% convincing, a bit like bad acting.

Kraco
Mon, 08-10-2015, 02:55 AM
I do agree that his "run!" didn't sound 100% convincing, a bit like bad acting.

Because it was bad acting. As soon as Itami saw the cadre of beauties, he made the decision, yet it wasn't so much time he could have turned himself into a great actor in the little time.

His actions would have actually made sense if the setting would have been quite different. Such as that they had encountered a friendly check point that had stopped them for an inspection or another reason. Then he naturally wouldn't have much hesitated to get out of the car and generally try to ignore the bared weapons of the other side. But this isn't such a setting. They were stopped by obvious hostiles. In fact that whole world is full of nothing but potential hostiles. Like we learned during the terms negotiations of the Japanese leaving the city they saved, it's an old world where there's little hospitality and general civilized behavior like we are used to in our world, at least within the Western sphere of influence. The alien world in this series is full of backstabbing lords and wannabe lords eyeing for higher positions and not hesitating to rob anyone weak enough to be robbed.

It's quite a problem for the Japanese side if their officers suddenly start to think it's a great idea to offer themselves as hostages. I have no doubt this will end well since the princess, if she has any wits in her pretty head, will treat Itami royally and quickly have him returned (and whip her subordinates for good measure). She has seen that her side has much more to lose than the other side should another battle happen. She also has an unfortunate personality that prevents her from sacrificing a city or two in order to keep Itami for torture and information (not that the Japanese would destroy cities, but I don't think she would yet realise that).

neflight86
Mon, 08-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I'm in the 'little bit off' camp as far as this encounter went, but I'm not vested enough in the realism of this show to find it detrimental to my overall experience. At least bloodshed was avoided, which was Itami's intent, though it put himself at a strategic disadvantage. However, even as a hostage he remains dangerous unless he is stripped of his equipment.

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-10-2015, 03:24 PM
I can't believe we are still discussing that scene... it's so unimportant in terms of immersion and realism, I don't know how this scene could throw anyone off that sees this show as entertainment and not as an attempted documentary

*shrug*

but we have people here that (would probably) complain about the Ride of the Valkyries song playing when the choppers move out...so there is that, oh well.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-10-2015, 03:37 PM
I don't think anyone complaining really thinks it's that big of a deal, including me. It's just me asking why they couldn't have done it better when it's so easy to do so.

And you're probably very tolerant in general, which is a good thing.

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-10-2015, 03:43 PM
Well, I've to say that it felt "awkward" when he shouted "RUN" all of a sudden because I expected something more serious to happen first. (Maybe Itami getting tackled to the ground or something like that)

But that "A soldier wouldn't do that" discussion we have is really just odd to have.
I mean, if we were to count all the things a soldier wouldn't do in real life, we'd have no end to it. Starting from EP1.

Kraco
Mon, 08-10-2015, 04:21 PM
But that "A soldier wouldn't do that" discussion we have is really just odd to have.
I mean, if we were to count all the things a soldier wouldn't do in real life, we'd have no end to it. Starting from EP1.

Sure, this is an overall silly series, but this situation is a bit fuzzier. It's going above the threshold of not feeling like the usual foolishness anymore but instead it feels scipted, something that the story artificially made happen so that something else can later happen. That's always annoying.

Edort4
Mon, 08-10-2015, 04:28 PM
but we have people here that (would probably) complain about the Ride of the Valkyries song playing when the choppers move out...so there is that, oh well.

Well.... to play music during a raid when you are close makes sense: you instil fear (its like a signature, they know what is coming) in the enemy and is part of the phsycological war. To do it lots kms away from the battle (giving your position away), I know that time in anime is special but since they play it until they shoot the first bullets its quite time in the episode, isnt very clever and this is the first time in this world they see chopers and hear the Ride so they have 0 knowledge of what it is, there hasnt been another raids/Rides, this mission wasnt exactly a raid (more of a support operation), and they arent inmersed in an atrittion war, so not much phsycological war there.

Pump morale? When you only had 2 battles, totally crushed the enemy, suffered no casualties, and have been deployed a month... I hope they dont find any real oposition cause that army is gona flew on low morale in minute one if they are already like this.

I know that it is some kind of tribute and in sync with the "sense of humor" (pina colada... sigh) but no much sense in there... and I love to criticize :P

Ryllharu
Mon, 08-10-2015, 06:34 PM
I certainly did, but thankfully, the base commander within the series itself also commented that their choice of music was inappropriate and referred to the bloodthirsty character (https://youtu.be/Jts9suWIDlU) in Apocalypse Now.

Kraco
Tue, 08-11-2015, 01:02 AM
It was ludicrous, but I'd say well within the scope of this show's sense of humour, which is somewhat low in sophistication. Since it was a reference to another piece of fiction, not some gruesome RL event (not to say shit wouldn't have happened in Vietnam), it's not so bad in my opinion.

MFauli
Fri, 08-14-2015, 12:55 PM
episode 7 is out
--------------------

wow, nothing at all happened. 20 minutes of nothingness. fantastic.

i just hope somebody told Rory that she mustnt severely hurt or even kill people on the other side of the gate no matter what.

Also hating how thereīs already such a huge female-only crowd surround Itami. Giving me bad SAO-vibes.

Something in general: Some people in this thread defended the various shortcomings of this anime by saying "itīs just an anime, donīt take it too seriously." I heavily disagree. This showīs whole appeal stems from the clash between reality and fantasy. Take that away and youīre left with whatīs increasingly a generic harem anime. We have hundreds of those already. Consequently, I hate the bitch that is the leader of the princessī knights. Itīs like she doesnīt give a shit about her Empire and its people. Not only should "giving away her body" not provoke such a reaction when it is to save a whole nation from doom that SHE would have caused. But also did she proceed with hurting the same guy AGAIN, and why? Cause of her personal honor/feeling shame. Words cannot express how much of a bitch this girl is and to see her go unpunished is infurating.

Also Itami ... undressing the mage girl? Really? Yeah, sleeping with clothes on isnīt ideal, but you donīt go about undressing a strange girl without her consent. sigh

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-14-2015, 01:19 PM
Words cannot express how much of a bitch this girl is and to see her go unpunished is infurating.

Also Itami ... undressing the mage girl? Really? Yeah, sleeping with clothes on isnīt ideal, but you donīt go about undressing a strange girl without her consent. sigh

This, is why MFauli will never be as awesome as Itami.

MFauli
Fri, 08-14-2015, 01:23 PM
This, is why MFauli will never be as awesome as Itami.

True, Iīm sorry that my skills as a creepy wannabe-rapist arenīt as highly evolved as those of Itamiīs.

:|

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-14-2015, 01:27 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OElJ5mm.jpg

I'm unconvinced.

The girls should have taken the hint and said Itami was being a pervert. They could have excused themselves, then made up to him in their own ways befitting of their culture.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-14-2015, 01:46 PM
@Buff - OMG LOL @ Mfauli's sig screenshot. Especially because I made it and the text is a bastardized derivative of my own original.

Kraco
Fri, 08-14-2015, 02:20 PM
Itami is so unlucky. If his squad hadn't appeared that fast, he could have spent the night with the female knight. Nobody could have even blamed him as he would have had the perfect excuse of not daring to refuse in order to avoid making the unknown situation any worse. As big a bitch as the knight was, she was still a real bishoujo with a nice body. So unfortunate.

A good explanation of guns. Gunpowder was labelled magic as chemistry and alchemy were the same things in the old times, and alchemy was magic, after a fashion. The mage girl is really sharp, all in all.

I have a feeling the next ep, and possibly the one after, will be somewhat wasted by being located in Japan. No doubt it's going to be the cheapest sort of savages brought into modern civilization "entertainment". Of course I wouldn't mind being proven wrong.

David75
Fri, 08-14-2015, 02:50 PM
And they can use the winter convention setting to excuse the rather exotic outfits or even ears the girls have...

MFauli
Fri, 08-14-2015, 02:54 PM
Thatīsīalso dumb ... why is Itami so fixated on the Comike? Heīs finally in a world where all otaku-fantasies are real.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-14-2015, 03:08 PM
That... actually makes sense.

Except 2d>3d.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-14-2015, 10:59 PM
No comments about the gung-ho, trigger-happy Kuribayashi being super surprised and pissed that Itami is qualified as a Ranger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_Airborne_Brigade_(Japan)#Ranger_qualification) ?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-15-2015, 01:34 AM
Not really, she never thought much of him. I always expected her to be shut down in one way or another.

Kraco
Sat, 08-15-2015, 02:53 AM
The only thing Ranger about Itami is the fact he can survive the long lines of the summer Comiket without passing out. Honestly, back in the day the type of guys who applied for the tough units in the military was pretty clear. They were meatheads, not nerds or such (nobody probably would have even recognized the word "otaku" back then). However, naturally it fits this silly series that the guy who has zilch interest in his job in the army and only cares for his hobbies just happens to be someone who went through the harshest training the Japanese army offers. Makes perfect sense in the reverse logic this show follows.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-16-2015, 07:20 AM
One of the best things about this show is when Itami is just standing there, suffering from his wounds, not knowing what the hell is happening to him and why.

*Duuuuuuuurrrrr.... fuck this......*mouth wide open, close to drooling**

hilarious

Kraco
Fri, 08-21-2015, 12:59 PM
Episode 8 - HS

-- - - -

Looks like I underestimated the show a bit. They didn't actually go for the most glaring examples of having the visitors gawk at a modern civilization, which is naturally good. All in all this ep was quite unpredictable, which is another good thing. However, I can't help but feel that as a whole this was a weak episode, but that just my personal view of it.

However, I could have lived without seeing the animal crawling on all fours, which supposedly is Itami's ex-wife. He could have at least married a human, but I guess he does have some sense since he divorced the creature. No idea why he had to visit the place now and drag the visitors to the den as well. His lack of common sense is truly commendable.

KrayZ33
Fri, 08-21-2015, 03:11 PM
This weeks ep made me laugh quite a few times. I think it was a pretty good one.

I'm so glad Rory told that Diet Member to shut up about that whole dragon story.
"Look, I don't know what I'm talking about, but lets bash some people and let some heads roll... as long as it's not mine"

Hate people like her.
The "resistance" is kinda scary, I wonder if they have trouble with other nations agencies or if they are their own countrymen....while I didn't understand why they were so eager to get troops out of the special zone, there were quite a few protestors some episodes ago.
It's basically like traveling to another planet and they still protest against it? *sigh*
While this is of course only fantasy, I'd jump on a chance like this voluntarily in less than a second if the conditions over there arn't extremely hazardous, but probably even then.

I mean this is nowhere close to sending troops to Iraq/Afghanistan... it's more close to sending them to a habitable planet to establish a base there.

Kraco
Fri, 08-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Rory really kept true to her character and gave a fitting speech. It was jolly good. It was quite low of the woman to try to use the visitors purely to drive her own agenda, but that's what a regular politician would be like.

The "resistance" is kinda scary, I wonder if they have trouble with other nations agencies or if they are their own countrymen....while I didn't understand why they were so eager to get troops out of the special zone, there were quite a few protestors some episodes ago.

It's Japan. Protests are in that sense believable. They have quite a strong military, having been among the top 10 spenders since forever and having access to Western technology as well as their own, but they didn't have even a fricking ministry of defense a decade ago. They simply aren't supposed to use their armed forces for anything but defending their own islands if attacked first. That's the majority opinion over there, I believe, not to mention it's in their laws, as dictated by the Americans (who now regret it). So, sending the troops over to the other world via the gate and engaging in warfare would annoy lots of citizens.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-21-2015, 06:03 PM
Rory's impassioned speech redeemed her a bit, but I'll be honest in saying that my favorite part of the episode was finding out that Itami has an ex-wife who is either an otaku, doujin artist, or starving mangaka.

It's not that she's an otaku. It's that she's his ex-wife. We're so used to virgin protagonists that the target readers/viewers can relate to, but Itami is somehow an amazing soldier that purposefully stays as a "bad example" to motivate others, and has had a previous relationship to the point that he even married and divorced her, but still supports her.

He's a dynamic and nuanced character the likes we have rarely ever seen. He's not Satoshi EveryOtaku, he has a past, and has actually lived a honest to god life in his 33 years.

Also, nowadays-rare Yukana (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=15) casting as the uppity Diet member, and the Kuribayashi Losing Her Shit at Itami's Competence gag continues to be amusing.

...and Business Suit Elf, a sorely underserved fanart fetish niche. :(

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-21-2015, 09:10 PM
Itami isn't purposefully staying as a bad example to motivate others. He just said that (the ant story) as a random excuse to his superior officer, and that got him sent to the special forces. He is intentionally underperforming so he can have more time as an otaku. It just backfired on him.

Rory would have been a million times better if she was voiced less sluttier.

The axe-pocketing scene was badly done. If it was heavy, you let go of it the moment you grab it, not after you take 1-2 steps away (and it somehow falls on top of you).

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-21-2015, 10:55 PM
@Krayz33: The way you talk about this as settling on a new planet suggests colonialism. We know there are people there, and this is an invasion (in retaliation or not). There are people there who live their own lives and have their own way of running things. In that sense, I actually see more similarity to America's Middle-Eastern invasions than a NASA mission.

@Kraco: How rude. Why can't she divorce him?

@Ryll: Agreed.

Shinta should be renamed "Monster of Physics".

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-21-2015, 11:24 PM
@Buff - WTF.

You're right.

Munsu
Fri, 08-21-2015, 11:44 PM
Honestly, I loved this latest episode... was entertained by it from start to finish. Not going to over think it, but I thought it was fun all around.

neflight86
Sat, 08-22-2015, 12:16 AM
Agreed. I double clicked entertainment and that's exactly what I got.

Kraco
Sat, 08-22-2015, 02:17 AM
@Kraco: How rude. Why can't she divorce him?

Seeing how she would apparently starve to death if he didn't bring her food, I deem it unlikely. I haven't got a clue why he does, though. If they are divorced and with no children, why? If he wants to keep supporting her, they shouldn't have ended their marriage. The dude just keeps getting stranger and weirder. Well, maybe he does view her as an animal, so he feels responsible like a pet owner who has a need a to let go of his pet, but can't do so until he finds a new owner.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-22-2015, 02:54 AM
I didn't think he supported her on a routine basis. He just does it commonly - maybe when a deadline comes around and he suspects she's short on money.

I felt he thought her place would be safer tonight than some plan the other dude came up with (which was obviously leaked). He can't reliably help his ex-wife on a timely basis since he's on standby.

Kraco
Sat, 08-22-2015, 03:34 AM
I felt he thought her place would be safer tonight than some plan the other dude came up with (which was obviously leaked). He can't reliably help his ex-wife on a timely basis since he's on standby.

He's an active special forces officer on an official mission to escort important foreign guests. I reckon finding a safe place would be of little difficulty. This development I see as a part of his lazy and carefree attitude, which makes him forget his duty when something else catches his interest. They were probably close to the woman's home, so he thought to drop in, no matter he has a princess of a foreign empire with him. I don't think the rest of the gang matter so much because they likely are interested in anything they see. He should have taken Rory to watch some no corners cut Hollywood war or action movie, though.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-22-2015, 04:27 AM
I actually agree that he was close by and thought it was a good idea to drop by. However, it wasn't the case of "Oh, I'm on a mission but let's just screw their safety and go visit my Ex-wife". It was "Hmm, her place is near. I should drop by anyway, and they're unlikely to find these guys there."

It's a middle ground between what you're thinking, and "My wife's place is the safest spot in town, let's go there - no matter."

MFauli
Sat, 08-22-2015, 05:07 AM
Enjoyable episode. I canīt wait for when Rory or even better magician girl finally start using their fantastical powers in our reality. Should be super fun.

Meanwhile, I feel cockblocked by the entrance of this ex-wife. Itami is such a dumb do-good-er, he might actually not really be fully divorced from this ... female. When I read that, I only could think "great, now thereīs no chance for any romance to one of the magic world-girls, sigh". I hope Iīm wrong, but thatīs an often used clichee.

This committee woman was totaly over-the-top, though. Come on, youīre speaking in a courtroom, full of important people. Get a hold of yourself! Whoīd have thunk that Rory would not be the most embarrassing person there, lol.

Ryllharu
Sat, 08-22-2015, 05:26 AM
This committee woman was totaly over-the-top, though. Come on, youīre speaking in a courtroom, full of important people. Get a hold of yourself! Whoīd have thunk that Rory would not be the most embarrassing person there, lol.
She was a full Diet member too, all the important people around her are her peers. She's the voice of the opposition to the invasion.

She's doing exactly what we'd expect her to be doing, stirring up shit to try to make a bigger name for herself and increase her chances of being re-elected or even gaining higher office.

It just backfired on her horribly, because fire dragons are incomprehensible to someone who hasn't seen one or believed the reports were lies (like she obviously did).

Can you honestly expect her not to be rude to Rory? Tuka is dressed up in a suit to match the proceedings she's at, Lelei's got some rustic but formal enough traditional clothing on, and Rory is dressed like a Goth Loli from Harajuku, 10 minutes down the street from the building they're in.

Her reactions were all quite normal and even expected.

Sir, do you even politics? This is how it is supposed to work (https://youtu.be/tpWCGlA8It4).

MFauli
Fri, 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM
new episode is out
-------------------------

ARGH!
PLS DONT BE ANOTHER GAY HERO!!1
DO IT, ITAMI!!!1

At least his hands moved closer to dat ass! Success!
But, oh for fucks sake, if he doesnīt turn gay, theyīre sure to be interrupted by whatever nuisance.

Argh!

I REALLY weīll get some quality h-doujins. Unfortunately, nothing so far :/

@episode: This felt weird. Soldiers actually killing each other inmidst of Japan? Dumb. This shit wouldnīt happen in reality. Too much outrage if it was found out.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-28-2015, 01:10 PM
"In return, I'll marry you."..

Itami hasn't shown any signs of liking his wife at all, and at the very least he doesn't think she likes him on any significant level. I wonder why the hell he went with the offer?

Because he's Itami and he's too nice to say no I guess.

Kraco
Fri, 08-28-2015, 01:48 PM
No, Rory, you are very much not a kid. Considering how bloody battles make her orgasm, and she's not hesitant to show it even in public, I'd say it's a huge stretch she would have had no sexual experience in her 900 years of life. Too bad Itami can't go for it with the stupid Americans coming. Might have been a unique opportunity to taste a woman soon turning into a deity.

@episode: This felt weird. Soldiers actually killing each other inmidst of Japan? Dumb. This shit wouldnīt happen in reality. Too much outrage if it was found out.

The Americans must have been mercenaries, not soldiers technically. Actual American soldiers being there, doing that would be a far greater scandal than whatever the papers delivered to the prime minister described. As expected, the American mercs were from the bottom of the barrel as well (lowest bidder wins), losing so miserably to the peace loving Japanese soldiers who have never seen a war outside of TV and video games.

Last but not least, I'd have never expected such a loud and clear reference to FSN. This really is a strange show.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 08-28-2015, 02:09 PM
I really liked the Fate references. Soldiers were Servants...code names Saber..Archer..Grail has been filled....Nice.

Ryllharu
Fri, 08-28-2015, 05:44 PM
Disgusting levels of right-wing nationalism in this episode and laughably cliché American names.

Lelei playing with magic in the onsen was cute though. Nice to know from that non-verbal display in the background that their magic works in the normal world as well.

Very curious if Tuka's purchase of a bow will finally make her a relevant character.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 08-29-2015, 04:37 AM
It is nice to know magic works in the normal world. Could totally change a lot of things but I don't the show will go that far.

Kraco
Sat, 08-29-2015, 05:06 AM
It is nice to know magic works in the normal world. Could totally change a lot of things but I don't the show will go that far.

I reckon it requires the biology of the denizens of that other world to work. Of course it should still change things, especially if they have healing magic over there. Hospitals would totally hire all competent magical healers they could get their hands on and who would be willing to migrate over. Well, apparently the Americans in this show don't care if one is willing or not... To Ryll's delight.

David75
Sat, 08-29-2015, 09:02 AM
Lelei said that humans in their world have a similar lifespan, even if a tad short like underdeveloped countries.So it's possible that magic healers also have their limits...

Kraco
Sat, 08-29-2015, 10:00 AM
Lelei said that humans in their world have a similar lifespan, even if a tad short like underdeveloped countries.So it's possible that magic healers also have their limits...

There would be endlessly work for them even if they couldn't extend the population's average lifespan significantly (that would require a whole army of healer mages). Cancer and many other conditions modern medicine is still very much struggling with would provide the work, in exchange for fabulous amounts of money. Assuming they can cure it or other difficult maladies, of course.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-29-2015, 10:25 AM
On the other hand, Tuka can be a fashion model forever.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-05-2015, 01:49 PM
HS - Episode 10 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=730527)

---------------------------------

-Ex-wife is spot on about the girls' appeal.

-Wtf Tuka? Either he hangs around in spirit, she's hallucinating or her memory is shit-house - in that order. She's been like this since she arrived at their base for the first time.

MFauli
Sat, 09-05-2015, 02:28 PM
sigh, so Itami is another gay hero after all. How nonchalantly he reacted when Rory complained about the ringing phone interrupting ... yeah, why would he care, he just WAS SO CLOSE TO BANGING THIS HOT GOTH LOLI. Argh! Drives me truly nuts. He could have at least grabbed her ass. sigh sigh sigh

Ridiculous that the President of the USA would be in direct contact to such shady commands.

And during the drive through town, I realized how much this anime suffers from its harem-bullshit. How much more interesting would it have been to have 1 or 2 male visitors, too? It felt weird when everybody was saying "there are the shoujou-tachi/girls", as if it bears any special significance ... except theyīre all girls because of Itamiīs gay pants.

Rory also got a battle upgrade. So she can deflect rifle bullets now. Okay. And wait, she auto-regenerates? Haha, wow. Got me thinking if she was immune to sleeping gas, seeing how thatīs the only remaining option to possibly deal with her.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-05-2015, 03:17 PM
Or nukes.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-05-2015, 04:37 PM
Demi-gods can't die, and they're insanely strong. Rory owns everything.

Except Hardy. I want to meet this guy to see what he's about.

Munsu
Sat, 09-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Rory massacre was quite awesome.

That said, I kinda miss Itami kicking a bit of ass. Probably since the very first episode we really haven't seen Itami in full badass action.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 09-05-2015, 04:45 PM
Yeah especially since he should be pretty good at it considering he's among the top as they said it.
Ahh well..next episode..Dark Elves!

Kraco
Sat, 09-05-2015, 04:55 PM
Rory wouldn't be close to godhood if she wasn't able to do at least this much. It entirely possible she couldn't have destroyed the big dragon, though, for example. Maybe if she burns fast enough, she can't regenerate fast enough, or at least keep fighting.

Itami was quite disappointing here, that's for sure. You'd think an otaku would have been able to come up with a theory or two. He's a real waste of skin. At least in the manga he did grab two handfuls of Rory's derriere.

I'm happy they are back in the other world. The writing's hardly good enough in general, but this trip to Japan was below the average.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 09-05-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm a little disappointed with some of the cuts from the manga version. Namely bathtime with Rory after the bloody slaughter to wash off all the blood/discover her regeneration abilities. Instead we just get her standing on a rock talking. First few pages of chapter 23 for anyone interested.

I really like Itami and his ex-wife's interactions. I might root for her after Rory out of the harem crew.
While he has a lot of girls, it really isn't a harem, though. Rory is obviously after him, but Tuka is just crazy and Lelei is a teenager. The princess isn't really interested in him either.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-05-2015, 09:19 PM
I'm gonna miss Itami's ex-wife. She was probably the best part to the entire Japan arc. Their little farewell was somewhat touching.

Tuka's outfits was good for fanservice at least. Elves in modern human clothing, new fetish confirmed.

She's probably still a little batshit though. It's not like the rest of the cast hasn't noticed either. Someone should be talking to her about it.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 09-05-2015, 11:43 PM
That someone will be Itami. Calling it.

Yeah especially since he should be pretty good at it considering he's among the top as they said it.

Supposedly he's not all that combat-capable, just very good at running away (evasion?)

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 09-09-2015, 11:54 AM
Yeah but how can you complete that kind of training simply by being good at running away?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-09-2015, 12:23 PM
Yeah but how can you complete that kind of training simply by being good at running away?

I don't know..

The Defence Minister's tone suggested that Itami wasn't very good at combat and made up for it with his talent for running.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM
Itami bringing down a soldier and killing him in melee combat in the first episode showed that he is a bad ass.

Where this show failed at is keeping that consistent in the ridiculous "hostage Itami" arc.

Kraco
Wed, 09-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Where this show failed at is keeping that consistent in the ridiculous "hostage Itami" arc.

I know some people consider it nothing but a joke, but in my eyes it really did look like he was purely thrilled to get kidnapped by a cadre of bishoujo. After everything we have seen, can you really say that wouldn't fit his personality? I mean, the personality that's exceedingly hard to define because it's full of contradictions at best unless you view him like a thoroughbred otaku half living in his own dream world.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-09-2015, 01:57 PM
I just don't see the point in making him a ranger and a special ops whatever. Can't he be just a really good but lazy normal soldier?

Kraco
Wed, 09-09-2015, 03:00 PM
This show is the kind of comedy that piles cliches and unlikely, cheesy details mountain high, fully on purpose. Itami in reality being all kinds of badass things, yet looking like a loser, is a part of it. It doesn't matter if it makes no sense. Kind of like camp films.

MFauli
Wed, 09-09-2015, 03:29 PM
Iīm so happy when people post in this thread during the week when no new ep has been released, always making me think "omg, a new ep already?!"

:|

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-09-2015, 03:45 PM
After everything we have seen, can you really say that wouldn't fit his personality? I mean, the personality that's exceedingly hard to define because it's full of contradictions at best unless you view him like a thoroughbred otaku half living in his own dream world.It makes much more sense now that we've learned the reason he and his wife got divorced. They do seem to genuinely love and care for each other, the problem is that he was simply too distant. His drive to care for her had him throw himself into every task he was given to support her, while forgetting the entire reason he was doing so. He took on missions with large hazard pay that keep them apart for extended periods so he could send her more money.

The scene of him saying goodbye to her outside the van said everything about their relationship. Probably will end up being the best scene of the whole series.

I just don't see the point in making him a ranger and a special ops whatever. Can't he be just a really good but lazy normal soldier?
Because that would otherwise ruin the best recurring gag of the entire series: Kobayashi losing her shit each time she finds out that he already is everything she strives to be when she doesn't want to respect him at all.

Kraco
Sat, 09-12-2015, 04:05 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- - - -- - -- -

I continue to be amused by Rory. If you think about it and her 900 years of life, she has probably seen as much during the time with the Japanese than during the whole time before. Fantasy worlds are oft kind of static culture, society, and technology wise, so she must have become bored of it all in 900 years. Yet now she's seeing pretty much every day something new and previously unthinkable. She's probably also seeing new things about the original denizens of that world when they interact with the Japanese.

Shouldn't the unarmed transport helicopter have had an escort? It's a world of dragons and other flying monsters. Would seem wise to me to avoid careless risks.

I wonder why the dark elf was such a straight-laced moralist. Aren't dark elves supposed to be sort of spartan, coarse, and militaristic people? You'd think anybody who dares and has an opportunity to drink, would drink.

With the ep starting as it did, I thought we'd get a Lelei centered episode, but alas, no.

Ryllharu
Sat, 09-12-2015, 06:37 PM
It seems the dark elves of GATE are more in line with the ones from Those Who Hunt Elves and Seikishi Monogatari than those of D&D.

Munsu
Sat, 09-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Well, didn't care much for this latest episode. Had a couple of good scenes, but the rest failed to entertain me as much as the previous ones.

Also... another Fire Dragon burning an Elves camp? If there isn't a bigger picture as to why this is occurring, then really disappointed in the repetitiveness of the plot.

MFauli
Sat, 09-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Dumb episode with lots of annoying scenes.

What I will ask, though: So how do these people deal with fire dragons usually? Like, when they cannot ask an alien force from another dimension for help. Thinking back to the first fire dragon, even Rory didnt seem like she could defeat the dragon. She wouldnīt die either, as she regenerates, but still ... And throwing an army of 10000 soldiers against that monster doesnt sound like a solution either.

Munsu
Sat, 09-12-2015, 08:22 PM

What I will ask, though: So how do these people deal with fire dragons usually? Like, when they cannot ask an alien force from another dimension for help. Thinking back to the first fire dragon, even Rory didnt seem like she could defeat the dragon. She wouldnīt die either, as she regenerates, but still ... And throwing an army of 10000 soldiers against that monster doesnt sound like a solution either.

Wasn't it established that Fire Dragons usually don't go into this type of rampage?

David75
Sun, 09-13-2015, 12:36 AM
I got the impression it was the same dragon that attacked Tuka's village. And it has been wonded by the SDF.I might be wrong though

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-13-2015, 04:30 AM
That's what I thought as well. And that her forest is just really far away so it took her a long damn time to get to Arnus Hill.

Kraco
Sun, 09-13-2015, 04:57 AM
Let's hope Itami will get the railgun, laser cannon, or whatever he lamented they were missing in the fight against the dragon during the diet hearing. To be more realistic I reckon a wheeled APC with a good autocannon turret would do the trick if they don't send in the attack helicopters or jet fighters.

Seeing how the Japanese are responsible for creating a wounded beast, I don't think the dark elf will have much difficulty gaining help.

MFauli
Sun, 09-13-2015, 06:17 AM
nothing here answered my question, though: how do the natives deal with a fire dragon?

Edort4
Sun, 09-13-2015, 07:22 AM
nothing here answered my question, though: how do the natives deal with a fire dragon?

Feed him enough people to hurt his stomach so that it rests for weeks/months until the next feast.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 09-13-2015, 07:37 AM
Just how we deal with Tsunami's and Earthquakes.

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 08:17 AM

I did answer it to you in a way... there's really been no reason to deal with a Fire Dragon if we go by the notion that these creatures don't usually go into these types of rampages through villages, etc. Which is why I mentioned that I think it was established that this was outside of the norm.

Not sure how they deal with them per se, but besides that... has there been a need to do so previously?

MFauli
Sun, 09-13-2015, 10:05 AM
has there been a need to do so previously?

we donīt know. I guess weīll hear of some shitty hero-tale at some point, where the dragon has some videogame-esque weak point to beat it easily. Then Itami can beat the dragon himself, thus becoming the gayest hero of all times (cause heīll refuse all the thousands of girls hitting on him afterwards).

And earthquakes and tsunami arent quite comparable. We donīt build our capitals at the center of such natural events ... but the dragon can freely fly up to the Empireīs capital , and then what?

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-13-2015, 10:36 AM
Actually, that logic works for dragons as well. Just don't build your houses anywhere near its territory. If it decides to fly and pawn you, you just run, pray, and/or give up.

The same applies to catastrophes. Typhoons, earthquakes, tornadoes, etc. claim many lives every year even if humans try their best to avoid and prepare for them.

MFauli
Sun, 09-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Are Washington, Berlin or Paris built in earthquake or tornado zones? no? q.e.d.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-13-2015, 11:22 AM
Are the castle and cities of their world built near the dragon's nest? No?

And there are several capitals around the world that suffer from typhoons, earthquakes, and floods, such as Tokyo and Manila.

MFauli
Sun, 09-13-2015, 11:43 AM
ffs, shinta, unless we attain new information that says otherwise, a dragon is a free-minded being that can fly wherever it wants to. You canīt take precautions against it, which is why i was wondering how the people in this world deal with it.

tsunami are singular events with predictable "attack patterns". Earthqakes are countered by using specially built structures. So ... what is in place to "counter" a dragon? I can accept this "it is what it is" attitude for smaller villages, but again what if it decides to fly towards the capital of a major nation? King and everybody forsaken their wealth on a whim? hard to believe.

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 11:50 AM
ffs, shinta, unless we attain new information that says otherwise, a dragon is a free-minded being that can fly wherever it wants to. You canīt take precautions against it, which is why i was wondering how the people in this world deal with it.

tsunami are singular events with predictable "attack patterns". Earthqakes are countered by using specially built structures. So ... what is in place to "counter" a dragon? I can accept this "it is what it is" attitude for smaller villages, but again what if it decides to fly towards the capital of a major nation? King and everybody forsaken their wealth on a whim? hard to believe.

I'm going with "Magic Caster summoning of Ainz Ooal Gown or Narberal Gamma".

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-13-2015, 11:54 AM
@Mfauli - You do realize that the other world is a backward one right? That is the premise and point of this show after all.

"It is what it is" makes perfect sense. Even in our world, before the advent of earthquake prediction devices and specialized buildings, people just lived with it. The same goes for typhoons and the like. People read the patterns and tried to stay out of the way.

The same can be said for dragons. A creature has behavioral patterns, territories, etc. Learning about those and staying out of its way is a perfectly feasible way of dealing with it.

That said, I think the king (or someone under him) is controlling the fire dragon. It attacked a village right after the king said he wanted to burn the villages on the way to the capital (scorched earth tactics) to stop the foreign invaders.

David75
Sun, 09-13-2015, 01:55 PM
I'm pretty sure they mentionned the dragon's rampage was something unusual. But that was in the early eps so I don't remember clearly.

Kraco
Sun, 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM
I'm pretty sure they mentionned the dragon's rampage was something unusual. But that was in the early eps so I don't remember clearly.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean someone with suitable knowledge and power couldn't have initiated it. It's not like the villagers would know the king sent the dragon there. They would only know a dragon came and burned everything down. It would be a different matter if the king was using it all the time. I reckon there are some difficulties and restrictions since the dragon never attacked the JSDF base. Assuming it was indeed sent by the king.

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 03:44 PM
Someone shot it in the eye with an arrow in the first place. Who that is remains to be seen.

It doesn't seem to be Tuka's people, but then again it may be. She knew that firing at its good eye was a good way to drive it off.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-16-2015, 06:17 AM

You send them virgins, like any other story.

The was looking for Tuka, but now he wants to try Dark Elf.

Other than that, normally people try blinding the dragon and force it to crash. Then they swarm it with numbers. Dragon scales have a price, which means at least they're obtainable somehow.

KrayZ33
Wed, 09-16-2015, 11:26 AM

What I will ask, though: So how do these people deal with fire dragons usually?

They don't, it's as simple as that...how exactly is that a problem?
If a village gets destroyed, they'll resettle somewhere else.

It's pretty much like asking how animals deal with humans destroying/taking over their habitats
Bigger castles are probably at least able to defend against it (with heavy casualties of course) with magic and siege weapons.

Munsu
Fri, 09-18-2015, 08:50 PM
Looks like they decided to split the series:

The 12th and final episode of the GATE (Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri) anime announced on Saturday that the series will continue with a second cour (quarter of the year) in January. The second cour will cover the "Flame Dragon Arc."

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-09-18/gate-anime-to-return-in-january/.93115

Not sure if it'll return as a continuation of the series, or if it'll come with a different title.

David75
Sat, 09-19-2015, 12:30 PM
Episode 12 HS 1080http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=735286

So we have to wait till january ?

Little detail... It's officially "millefeuille" and it a pastry that combines some ideas from italy but is credited to french creators...
It was somehow hard to accept how it was presented as a japanese cake. Or it's just I'm oversensitive... Or I'm more inclined to point that out in an anime that sometimes gives nationalist vibes.

Kraco
Sat, 09-19-2015, 12:58 PM
Or I'm more inclined to point that out in an anime that sometimes gives nationalist vibes.

Sometimes? This is 100% comedically nationalistic. It's so hilarious, especially when something so blatantly non-Japanese is praised as the culmination of Japanese ingenuity. That's no propaganda or anything like that, it's parody. The series would be terrible and insufferable if it was that full of serious nationalism. When it's comedy, it works.

Poor dark elf, but the officer's words were of course correct. It would be a big deal if they invaded a part of another country without an invitation. I reckon the dark elves have pretty much nothing to do with the government of the land within they live, so it must have sounded next to incomprehensible in her (long) ears. The best course of action would be to get a permission from the ruler of that land, but that might be difficult. The ruler probably doesn't give a single shit about the elf tribe, but allowing foreign forces to cross the border would be troublesome. Only if there was a danger of the dragon attacking other places, the situation might change.

Good call for the dark elf to antagonize Itami right off the bat. If Itami wasn't so asexual, she might indeed be better off offering her body. Not that he would easily accept in his bothersome position of high publicity.

MFauli
Sat, 09-19-2015, 01:38 PM
This anime makes so little sense, itīs frustrating at times. I can understand that somebody would seek help because of that dragon. But not only is it slightly arrogant to assume that nicely asking and giving some money will solve all problems. Itīs also infinitely ridiculous that, DESPITE somebody whoīs in charge told her they wouldnīt be able to help, some underlings then proceed to instill hope in her, saying "Itami might do it". Not only are they undermining the chain of commands, it also begs the question why Itami, whoīs not the leader of the whole thing, would be able to solely decide to send in forces to help with the dragon.
It makes NO sense.

Other than that, this anime really has no story. Every episode feels like a complete fresh start. And now, 12 episodes later, still nothing of importance has happened. It feels like weīre still in the introductionary phase of the story. This show does such a bad job, always switching between characters. I donīt care enough about this dark elf as to spend a whole episode on her. Show me when she finally meets Itami again, thatīs enough. I want a coherent story where I can follow a hero and see him develop and progress whatever story. Everything is spread so thinly, thereīs no meat in this anime.

All of the above may sound very harsh and you might wonder why I keep watching it then. Well, this anime really feeds off its initial premise and setting: Our present real world clashing with a stereotypical fantasy world. It sucks that this concept couldnīt be used in a more competent, interesting way.

Kraco
Sat, 09-19-2015, 02:07 PM
It makes NO sense.

It makes plenty of sense for two reasons: Itami is a celebrity and he has connections to the denizens of that fantasy world as well, not only in Japan. In the civilized world the armed forces can only do what the civilians allow them to do, in practice the elected politicians. The self-defence forces rightfully are worried about the political situation because that's where all of their mandates come from. However, precisely because it's the civilian world (an otaku world in this series) and because it's politics, Itami can do much more than regular generals and colonels. If somebody else does it, it's careless abuse of power, if Itami does it, it's heroics serving human rights and justice.

This isn't really supposed to have a story. Did the second world war have a story? No, it was just a sequence of events with much causality. Forcing a linear, clear story into this series would have ruined what little there is to ruin.

MFauli
Sat, 09-19-2015, 02:58 PM
Last I knew, Itami is still part of the Japanese army forces. It doesnīt matter that those medieval folks see him as a hero. He has to obey Japanese law and his armyīs chain of command. So it makes no sense.

Did the second world war have a story?

Thereīs a ton of fantastic WW2-movies that tell great stories.

Kraco
Sat, 09-19-2015, 04:39 PM
Last I knew, Itami is still part of the Japanese army forces. It doesnīt matter that those medieval folks see him as a hero. He has to obey Japanese law and his armyīs chain of command. So it makes no sense.

He's a hero to the Japanese as well. It was last time said in this very episode. He's an even bigger hero after the diet hearing, especially among the younger folks and everybody tired of rotten politicians.

Thereīs a ton of fantastic WW2-movies that tell great stories.

This isn't a movie. It's trying to depict a war and it's consequences, not the story of someone or a group of someones. We do have main characters, though, since nobody would watch this show (or buy BDs) if there weren't any. However, it's fine for me they avoided a strong story. Makes this more realistic (as funny as it is to use that word when talking about this series).

MFauli
Sat, 09-19-2015, 04:58 PM
Makes this more realistic.

Calling you out on BS.
Many times over in this thread people told me "this show isnīt going for realism" when i criticized that the one thing that makes this anime interesting (clash between reality and fantasy) is ruined when you donīt depict our real world in a realistic manner. Now youīre praising it for its realism. Please choose one :/

And it doesnīt matter if Itami is a hero for the Japanese. Heroes in our real world donīt get special treatment when it comes to military matters.

Kraco
Sat, 09-19-2015, 05:37 PM
It's a structural choice, not tied to whether the story, setting, or characters are otherwise realistic. If you want absolute realism, then you haven't seen a single realistic war movie in your whole life, nor will you ever see, unless you watch a movie made out of pure video footage from a real war. Won't have a really strong story and main characters, that one. There was an anime reaching for that, about a fictional future war, called Flag, and it was a bitch to watch, as interesting as it was otherwise. Something like the American Sniper was quite an interesting war movie, but it didn't tell about a war. It told about one man in the war.

What military matters? He gets special treatment what comes to political matters (in good and bad, as I'm sure he made plenty of enemies). Politicians tell the military what to do. The military obeys the best it can.

MFauli
Sat, 09-19-2015, 05:47 PM
All the good WW2-movies make me feel that what Iīm seeing makes sense. I donīt care about "absolute realism", I care about it making sense what Iīm being shown. GATE doesnīt make sense a lot of the time.

What military matters? Maybe military matters like sending troops and material fighting a dangerous fire dragon. You can be the greatest hero of all, but that still wonīt let you decide something like that.

Kraco
Sun, 09-20-2015, 01:34 AM
All the good WW2-movies make me feel that what Iīm seeing makes sense. I donīt care about "absolute realism", I care about it making sense what Iīm being shown. GATE doesnīt make sense a lot of the time.

What military matters? Maybe military matters like sending troops and material fighting a dangerous fire dragon. You can be the greatest hero of all, but that still wonīt let you decide something like that.

I'm beginning to feel like you haven't seen all the episodes from the beginning till the end. There's nothing here that wouldn't make sense in the comedically nationalistic way it's supposed to make sense. What wouldn't, considering the incredibly simple way this show is proceeding?

Sending the troops to fight the dragon isn't a military matter until a permission has been granted. Just like the American military can't attack terrorist camps in some foreign country unless the politicians allow it (in a broad or specific manner, I don't know how they decide such stuff). When it's a political matter, things are muddy. Itami already has the attention of the political machinery because he was a hero when the fantasy world troops first attacked Tokyo, and he again did stuff in the other world by rescuing the refugees. Afterwards he was there when they saved the city, and again brought the imperial princess to Tokyo, which launched the peace talks. Even the opposition party asked him why he couldn't save more of the refugees. So, if he was there organizing the dragon removal mission, things could go smoother with the political deciders.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 09-20-2015, 04:08 AM
Given what we know about his character, you really have some kind of problem believing Itami might actually just go fight the dragon anyways?
The complaints you have about things making no sense just seem totally ridiculous to me. Like, are we even watching the same show?

Ryllharu
Sun, 09-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Complaints aside, there were two interesting things that happened in this episode after the midpoint.

- The first and obvious one is that the person Yao has to convince is Itami at all. She doesn't have to use money or seduction. She just has to tell Tuka. Once she learned what happened to Yao's village, she's going to be bothering Itami non-stop to have them help.

- The second and by far more interesting one was the bunny girl. She's a spy for the locals, but for what nation? Perfect spy by the way, a bunnygirl with super hearing, complaining that she doesn't know enough Japanese yet while listening to commanders from all the way down the stairs. It wasn't clear whether she works for the Empire or, if Yao is lucky, the nation beyond the Empire that Yao's village is in.

Japan has started spreading the translation books everywhere, they're giving them away for free to people who work at their PX or similar businesses connected to the Japanese economy/military. So what happens when some of those get "lost" and moved around? Other nations are certainly aware what happened to the Empire by now. That's why Pina is so determined to strive for real peace and not just the level playing field using the JSDF that her father went for.

I don't know if the JSDF is prepared for the influx of spies from the Empire and other nations.

As nationalistic as this is, there are some nice parallels to the US Occupation of Japan just in the last two episodes. Cities getting built up around the bases, the JSDF soldiers getting drunk at local bars and crime rapidly building with the only police force being the JSDF MPs and a few hired locals. The JSDF is pretty cocky that the locals don't understand what they're saying while they talk about all manner of things, while the locals are quick learners.

Perhaps this isn't as disgustingly nationalistic as it appears, and I'm starting to doubt that it is a parody either. It's starting to feel much more like a proper satire.

edit:
It's also quite timely as Japan just authorized to have the JSDF fight overseas when Japan itself isn't being attacked (http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/sep/18/japanese-soldiers-could-fight-abroad-again-after-security-bill-passed), amid massive protests and actual fights in the National Diet. As Edort below just reiterated, this shift adds a bit of a different take to this series.

Are the JSDF the heroes in this show, are they the villains, were the US villains in 1945 when they were doing the "right thing"? All the parallels to the real world just got a lot more interesting.

Edort4
Sun, 09-20-2015, 07:26 AM
Didnt like this episode. I really dont care about the dark-elf or her tribe. Her character is to generic and lacking. Childish and flower powered view of the world even when a savage beast is shredding her compatriots.

Itami being able of finding yet another "hole" in the orders/commands/politics seems to be the next episode. That is getting old fast.

Now I put my tinfoil hat on and say:

Japan has just recently approved the law that makes their army not a defense force anymore. This show gives pretty nationalistic vibes, chosen by destiny nation, its good to invade others if its to prevent unconfirmed future attacks, if its for "good/noble/altruistic" reasons is acceptable to send troops into other ppls lands and "help/free" their "abandoned" citizens, etc.

Its 1931 all over again for Japan.

MFauli
Sun, 09-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Oh, and btw: If a hot girl is the strongest remaining member of the dark elves can, theyīre pretty much fucked anyway lol

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-20-2015, 08:26 AM
In anime, hotness and less clothes = moar powah and higher defense.

David75
Sun, 09-20-2015, 09:25 AM
I didn't mention real life japanese diet events because I didn't want politics to enter the discussion.It's very strange having a fiction and real events mixing so well and so synchronized.
My paranoid side would think it's some kind of organized propaganda....

If the subject gets too strong here, it might be better to create another thread. We'll see when it is time.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-20-2015, 12:46 PM
I wonder how this show, or the story in general, will end
Could end like the Iraq War.

attack on own soil -> invasion -> not much of a resistance -> occupation -> exploit natural ressources -> they'll eventually leave -> huge power gap -> civil war
glorious nippon army made it possible.

Kraco
Sun, 09-20-2015, 04:11 PM
I wonder how this show, or the story in general, will end
Could end like the Iraq War.

attack on own soil -> invasion -> not much of a resistance -> occupation -> exploit natural ressources -> they'll eventually leave -> huge power gap -> civil war
glorious nippon army made it possible.

That wouldn't really make such a difference. Old times were short periods of peace between long wars, generally. In Europe there was even one called a 30 years war. Rulers come and go, one is not much different than another. The bigger impact will be technological and scientific.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-26-2015, 07:32 PM
So, not so long until the 2nd cour starts (9th January or something?)

I wonder whether it will be as dark as the LN/Manga. At what time did this show air in Japan again? Was it age restricted, if that's a thing over there?

Kinda hyped anyway as I enjoyed the first alot.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-26-2015, 08:56 PM
I thought most anime aired late anyway regardless of age restrictions. Censoring is more of a broadcast station thing.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 12-28-2015, 12:38 AM
No spoilers, but I just watched the promo video for season 2 (which has a lot of spoilers), and it looks like they'll be keeping roughly the level of ratings as they have been.

Season 1 definitely tried to keep it tame even in the first episode - not showing people being eaten by dragons onscreen, having the MC kill the one dude offscreen, etc.
I expect more of the same.

KrayZ33
Mon, 12-28-2015, 12:42 PM
I guess you are most likely right, just skipped through some episodes again and I remembered them being more "brutal", not as much as the manga but well, at least some gore, but it's pretty calm overall.

edit: since I don't want to raise any kind of expectations or something, let's just say I wonder how they will introduce certain characters and explain their motivations and whether they are impactful enough or lack something etc.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 12-28-2015, 08:18 PM
edit: since I don't want to raise any kind of expectations or something, let's just say I wonder how they will introduce certain characters and explain their motivations and whether they are impactful enough or lack something etc.

That's being hilariously vague.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 12-28-2015, 08:31 PM
Hilarious being the operative root word.

KrayZ33
Wed, 12-30-2015, 01:07 PM
Because you guys always act as if you just got cancer whenever something slips someones tongue :(
Everything is a spoiler after all.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-30-2015, 03:10 PM
Everything is a spoiler after all.

Whatever you wrote sure isn't.

Kraco
Fri, 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM
S2 Episode 1 - NotHorribleSubs (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=772639)

(HS itself decided to troll leachers and released some random episode of a totally different anime under the title of Gate. But at least it wasn't gay porn like back in the day.)

- - - - -- -- -

The poor dark elf is still desperately trying to find Itami, who is impressing senators all the way in the capital, wearing funny clothes. I guess we will get to the dark elf nation eventually, though, although I do wonder if it's going to be politically connected to something else. The abused warrior bunny likely will also play a further role, hopefully in getting rid of the scumbag prince. All in all I don't mind at all the diplomatic and political stuff here as it certainly creates another layer of realism.

Considering the ending of the ep, the very timely earthquake could serve either side equally. There's not a whole lot the Japanese could do against it, and especially the team in the capital would be badly outnumbered if things got really chaotic.

MFauli
Fri, 01-08-2016, 11:44 PM
Was grinning all over my face, haha. Didnt expect season 2 to start with a hot hentai scene, featuring a hot bunny-girl being forced into sex :D I wonder if theyīll paint the prince as some pure evil bastard; itīd be more fun if he was bad in certain ,good in other areas of his persona. After all, this is a different world where royalty DOES have this sort of power over common folks. Should the SDF try to intervene in this sort of stuff, itīd lead to a GIGANTIC debate over morales and such. And itīd be weird and shitty tbh if the people of this fantasy world just accepted the "greater morales" of Japan/our world.

Of course, I instantly had to think of the prince as a luckier version of the guy that kidnapped Asuna in SAO. Still, I hope this prince wonīt be such a 2-dimensional character. Him being the princessī brother certainly complicates things, should Itami ever try to act against him.

Another sex-related matter: So ... are angel-people just ... people who happen to have angel wings?! That was truly weird. Despite having animal girls all over the place, angel people is something alltogether differently. Going by the clichee, angel people should be very elegant, royal-by-nature folk. So I hope we get more insight into those. Also: What exactly was that angel whoreīs solution to unwanted pregnancy prior to getting the pill from the SDF? lol

People not knowing what an earthquake is weird, too. Seems too convenient for the SDF to show off their rescuing efforts.

Oh, and SCREW that "sexual diseases report". :| I want relationships between soldiers and cute animal girls happen!!1

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-09-2016, 12:04 AM
Angel people? Aren't they bird people?

Kraco
Sat, 01-09-2016, 04:13 AM
This prince is the evil emperor's favourite for succession. Thus it makes sense he's as bad as his old man. Apparently the other prince might not be, but I can't remember him at all from the first season. The emperor and at least this prince are people corrupted by power, so good sides could be hard to find. At least he didn't kill the bunny. Our jolly princess has personally experienced poor treatment in her life, which is probably what made her the more reasonable person she is. Though on the other hand she had previously little power and influence, so perhaps she now views this as an opportunity to turn the tables using the unbeatable might of the Japanese to crack the empire's old power structure for her own benefit.

Ryllharu
Sat, 01-09-2016, 05:36 AM
Angel people? Aren't they bird people?
There are other, more obvious bird people, aren't there? The green-haired girl in the JSDF town is like a harpy or something. She actually has bird feet.

The angel people are more like Utawarerumono's. So...also bird people, but we can't call them Onkamiyamukai, can we?

After this episode, I'm starting to think the beastgirls might be the best part of Gate. Japan needs to import a bunch of them. Take in all the oppressed people, like the abused bunny-girl's. Better than seismometers! Their collective nervousness in the clinic was so adorable.

I'm also glad that Kurokawa is getting a bigger role. I like her VA and she barely registered last season, but even with the little we saw of her, she was much better than Butch psychopath-chan that got all the screen time. With the gag of her freaking out about Itami's military competence starting to get stale, she's really no use anymore.

David75
Sat, 01-09-2016, 07:52 AM
So there's racism. Not too surprising.
Regarding the earthquake, it should show the locals the JSDF isn't almighty. Which should allow some resistance to start using their wits and sting the jsdf a bit.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-09-2016, 12:52 PM
There are other, more obvious bird people, aren't there? The green-haired girl in the JSDF town is like a harpy or something. She actually has bird feet.

The angel people are more like Utawarerumono's. So...also bird people, but we can't call them Onkamiyamukai, can we?

I was trying to point out that Mfauli's expectation that these winged creatures should be more noble or whatever is completely unfounded in what has been shown so far.

MFauli
Sat, 01-09-2016, 01:12 PM
I was trying to point out that Mfauli's expectation that these winged creatures should be more noble or whatever is completely unfounded in what has been shown so far.

Itīs a legit assumption, though. Especially since we have those harpy-girls, already.

Also, shinta, PLEEEEEASE make me a new sig :/
Maybe featuring the raped bunny girl? :P

shinta|hikari
Sat, 01-09-2016, 02:03 PM
It's an assumption with no real basis (as of yet). It's a world with beast people, so having wings doesn't necessarily mean angels. That's like saying because we have cat-eared people, rabbit-eared ones aren't mammals. There can be more than one winged beastmen race.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 01-13-2016, 04:27 AM
Should the SDF try to intervene in this sort of stuff, itīd lead to a GIGANTIC debate over morales and such. And itīd be weird and shitty tbh if the people of this fantasy world just accepted the "greater morales" of Japan/our world.

This is how I interpretted the scene:

Please don't!
Yeah!
No!
(pulls curtain down, that's their safe word)
You didn't last.

There's a power difference, but it was sort of consensual.

Also: What exactly was that angel whoreīs solution to unwanted pregnancy prior to getting the pill from the SDF?

Go through with it, or use some form of traumatic abortion method.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 01-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Massaged the fetus to death.

neflight86
Wed, 01-13-2016, 12:43 PM
Something to be said for consistency, this one picked up right where it left off.