PDA

View Full Version : US vs Japan super mech battle

Animeniax
Tue, 07-07-2015, 11:13 AM
http://nerdist.com/japan-accepts-americas-giant-robot-duel/

Personally I'd like to see a Gundam style roaming city fight more than a BattleBots arena style fight.

Uchiha Barles
Tue, 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM
lol, you know, as soon as I saw the headline, in my head I knew what this was going to look like. I saw a green robot, pretty ugly looking, blockish, and green for the US, something reminiscent of Armored Trooper. I saw a white and red Gundam looking thing for the Japanese bot. Felt like a prophet when I saw the video, and lol'd like hell when the Japanese combatant said "But my reaction? Come on guys, make it cooler. Just building something huge and sticking guns on it, it's...Super American."

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-07-2015, 08:44 PM
At the same time, you can't help but admit that the simpler American design might just kick ass. Guns on wheels have beaten robots in warfare for this very reason if we're focused on combat. Japan would have to overcome a pretty big handicap if they're making this both cool and powerful. They're not winning points by being stylish.

Edort4
Wed, 07-08-2015, 05:47 AM
Yeah japanese idea of robots is cool and looks very good in manga, anime, games, etc. but has 0 sense in real warfare. I know that this is just a performance for the fun (and nerds) so wont be bashing all that nonsense about bipedal tall and big robots. It could be awesome if they get a nice coreography of a combat.

Kraco
Wed, 07-08-2015, 08:15 AM
I must have missed some news and some entire wars if robots have already been beaten in warfare!

The Japanese creator wants real melee combat, but I wonder how wise that is. If there's enough steel, it's pretty hard to punch through mechanically outside of anime. Paintball might seem kind of lame, but it's much harder to defend against.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-08-2015, 08:43 AM
You don't really need to punch through the steel. You just need to knock the enemy down or shake the sensitive internals enough, just like a human fist fight or brawl.

I personally prefer the melee concept because it requires more fine control and flexibility, showing off the engineers' skills in robotics. A giant "robot" on wheels with guns is nothing more than a glorified tank.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM
I think as far as melee combat with these particular models, the goal would be to topple the other mech onto its side. They move too slow for a club or blade weapon to do real damage to the other unit.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-08-2015, 10:45 AM
Rocket punch time.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 07-08-2015, 01:13 PM
Rocket punch time.

Glorified RPG

without the G.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-08-2015, 01:22 PM
I don't know if it will be a purely melee battle or if guns and missiles will be allowed, but wouldn't a rocket punch count as a projectile weapon?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 07-08-2015, 01:35 PM
Not if the flying fist returns to the mech's arm after hitting the target. It would be a gray area, at the very least.