PDA

View Full Version : Gangsta

Kraco
Thu, 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/H9yr8TD.jpg

"In the city of Ergastulum, a shady ville filled with made men and petty thieves, whores on the make and cops on the take, there are some deeds too dirty for even its jaded inhabitants to touch. Enter the "Handymen," Nic and Worick, who take care of the jobs no one else will handle. Until the day when a cop they know on the force requests their help in taking down a new gang muscling in on the territory of a top Mafia family. It seems like business (and mayhem) as usual, but the Handymen are about to find that this job is a lot more than they bargained for." -Viz

Download: Episode 1 - Underwater (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=707142)
Genres: action, comedy, manga, seinen

- - - - -- - - --

Who wouldn't have loved in Hellsing the grins people were sporting when they were slaughtering other people? This series is easy to compare to Black Lagoon, but honestly when you look at those grins, you can't help but think of other good series as well. Every now and then you need to forget shounen heroes and have a look at seinen heroes. Not that shounen heroes would live too long in a city full of mafia families and shady cops anyway.

As a manga reader (although I haven't read it for a while), I expected a certain kind of atmosphere from this show full of crime, and right from the beginning the OP already delivered that. The episode itself was also successful. I have got no real complaints. Perhaps Noto Mamiko (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=creator&creatorid=10) as Alex wasn't exactly what I was expecting, but it won't bother me. She does have some long suffering, adult roles under her belt, so I'll have faith in her.

I'll keep watching this for sure.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-03-2015, 06:34 AM
I would have thought whores that pretty wouldn't have trouble making money.

Kraco
Fri, 07-03-2015, 08:42 AM
I would have thought whores that pretty wouldn't have trouble making money.

Didn't she have some attitude problems?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-03-2015, 12:47 PM
Didn't she have some attitude problems?

That's only because they ordered a blow job. There are options that don't bite.

If you're going to pay you might as well take the full course.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-03-2015, 10:44 PM
A bunch of action sequences looked utterly stupid and nonsensical (i.e. flipping in place before slashing a dude). Aside from that, I like it. The dark and gritty parts are a refreshing change from the anime norm.

The fake deaf speech was kinda weak though. It didn't sound believable.

You know what this reminds me of? Getbackers.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-04-2015, 01:19 AM
A bunch of action sequences looked utterly stupid and nonsensical

That is true. It'd be more badass if he did it all in a believable manner.

Rocking the car was pretty cool so I'll just leave it at that.

Kraco
Sat, 07-04-2015, 03:16 AM
The fake deaf speech was kinda weak though. It didn't sound believable.

Very true. I don't remember from the manga how often he speaks, but I hope it's not often if it's going to be like that.

The problem with the action scenes was the ages old anime problem of the opponents doing nothing at all to resist while they are getting beaten. Must be some sheepish Japanese cultural thing, but since I don't recall disliking the action in the manga, I'd say it's not always going to be like that.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-04-2015, 03:19 AM
Must be some sheepish Japanese cultural thing

I think it is the Japanese badassery thing where you're so badass your badassness manifests as a chi attack that renders your opponents frozen and shitting themselves. They drool, start missing shots and speak nonsense. You then backflip once or twice before cutting them open. Blood spurts everywhere, they speak more nonsense and you become more badass.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-04-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm fine with enemies getting shocked after seeing a monster. The monster flipping in place, defying physics for no real reason other than to look idiotic, is what ticks me off.

Kraco
Thu, 07-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- -- - --

It's always a sign of a good show that when Worick sneaked behind the goons, he didn't talk shit before shooting the first ones. I guess Nicolas must be forgiven for fooling around since he apparently wasn't allowed to kill the other dogtag dude in the first place, and I reckon their kind enjoys such fights inherently, so it was recreation for him. Although I don't get why the defeated man allowed himself to be executed like a sheep. He wasn't so badly wounded he couldn't have jumped up and put up some manner of a fight before going down.

Alex was depicted quite well this time. She's desensitised enough not to flee (or scream), but still not used to people getting killed in front of her eyes. Even Nicolas still unnerves her.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-10-2015, 04:48 AM
He wasn't so badly wounded he couldn't have jumped up and put up some manner of a fight before going down.

"...you're so badass your badassness manifests as a chi attack that renders your opponents frozen and shitting themselves..."

-Buff

That guy's B for beta.

Munsu
Tue, 07-21-2015, 08:01 PM
Just watched the first 3 episodes of this, and really enjoying it. Not sure where this is heading, but I'm liking it.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-21-2015, 08:17 PM
I like the loli.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-23-2015, 01:47 AM
HS - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=714919)

--------------------------------

Hint: bet on Nic.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Plot Armor.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 07-23-2015, 08:31 AM
Plot Armor.

I guess.

My logic is that if you vote for the other guy you won't get your money back.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 07-23-2015, 08:33 AM
It would be cool if Nick loses though, for a change.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 07-23-2015, 10:46 AM
And then ended up getting saved by his buddy.

Munsu
Sun, 08-02-2015, 12:08 PM
After a long wait, episode 5 is finally out!
480 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=718979)
720 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=718980)
1080 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=718981)

Will be watching it in a few.

Kraco
Sun, 08-02-2015, 12:35 PM
It's a good detail in this story that the superpowered fighters have the weakness in the form of the drug they are eating continuously. Since they are also humans, and quite flawed at that, it seems, they don't think things through when living with that weakness. That's harsh realism.

Another thing I like are the very varied people we regularly see, even if they are all coloured by the same wretched city they share. But still they are vastly different and try to live differently, all according to their wishes, ambitions, needs, fears, conveniences, or whatever other motivations drive them. In that sense the girl of the clinic is a very good addition to the cast. The city's effect on her is no less successfully depicted than its effect on the old cop, for example.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-02-2015, 02:21 PM
I really enjoy the opening theme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxXtf2-GHyc&t=1m9s

the last bit is the best imho.
it's been some time since I liked a OP this much.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-02-2015, 09:00 PM
This show has the worst physics-bending fight scenes.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2015, 06:35 PM
This show has the worst physics-bending fight scenes.

I much prefer anything this show has to offer over exaggerated wire-fu though. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon was such a turn off due to that effortless fighting.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 08-03-2015, 07:02 PM
The shoulder grab into random fly jump onto the roof was wire-fu.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-03-2015, 09:50 PM
edit: yes, that is very exaggerated. :(

Munsu
Sat, 08-15-2015, 05:51 PM
Was pissed that the next episode hadn't come out yet after so much time passing until I noticed I skipped an episode, didn't see the release.

So here's episode 6:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=721245

Will be watching now, episode 7 comes out tomorrow.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Was pissed that the next episode hadn't come out yet after so much time passing until I noticed I skipped an episode, didn't see the release.

So here's episode 6:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=721245

Will be watching now, episode 7 comes out tomorrow.

Use RSS with utorrent and never miss another release

Munsu
Sun, 08-16-2015, 12:01 PM
Worick better get his hands off Nicolas' woman!

I wonder if Nicolas' is aware of who killed his mother (and if he cares considering his childhood).

Also curious about whom Nicolas' was dreaming, past lover or partner? She was wearing tags, so maybe the Twilight who's sick? References have been made to a woman prior to Alex being with them but it seemed like she was some regular woman, not a Tag, so curious about that.

Munsu
Sun, 08-16-2015, 03:22 PM

I wonder if Nicolas' is aware of who killed his mother (and if he cares considering his childhood).

Also curious about whom Nicolas' was dreaming, past lover or partner? She was wearing tags, so maybe the Twilight who's sick? References have been made to a woman prior to Alex being with them but it seemed like she was some regular woman, not a Tag, so curious about that.

And here's episode 7:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=723531

It does answer a few questions I had prior to this episode, and of course makes me ask quite a few more.

Kraco
Tue, 08-18-2015, 04:47 PM
I guess the hospital girl isn't quite an ordinary girl in an unordinary city since she enjoyed so much those breakneck jumps with Nicolas. Maybe the wretched city has no amusement parks?

Worick had a really fucked up old man. He's surprisingly wholesome mentally considering everything he went through.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 10:53 AM
HS - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=725866)

--------------------------

For the most part I think Worick does a better job of looking out for her. Nic does a few things here and there that seem important (like noticing her tremors today), but overall it still comes down to Worick making things smooth. He's just way more situationally aware - and I'm not even having a dig at Nic's lack of hearing here.

I feel that Nic gets Alex because he's the Asian MC.

Munsu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:57 AM
HS - Episode 08 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=725866)

--------------------------

For the most part I think Worick does a better job of looking out for her. Nic does a few things here and there that seem important (like noticing her tremors today), but overall it still comes down to Worick making things smooth. He's just way more situationally aware - and I'm not even having a dig at Nic's lack of hearing here.

I feel that Nic gets Alex because he's the Asian MC.

I'm talking more in the context of Alex being Nic's woman (his "trophy" excuse he used to save her life) and how he's been introduced as that as that sub-sequentially.

So yeah, Worick better keep his hands to himself.

Anyways, episode 8 explained a bit more the role of the mafia here. It was an overall slow episode, though I feel for the dude that seems to be Alex's long forgotten brother and not being able to enter the bar.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:59 AM
Anyways, episode 8 explained a bit more the role of the mafia here. It was an overall slow episode, though I feel for the dude that seems to be Alex's long forgotten brother and not being able to enter the bar.

Yeah. I thought he was a Tag at first so it didn't occur to me that he couldn't have entered. Any serious brother would camp the entrance though.

It's weird how Tags get targeted like they do. The only thing that distinguishes them visually is their tag (that they wear so obviously). The opposite should also be possible - that the Anti-Tags just take some tags themselves and infiltrate into functions like this to gather information.

Munsu
Sun, 08-23-2015, 12:02 PM
Yeah. I thought he was a Tag at first so it didn't occur to me that he couldn't have entered. Any serious brother would camp the entrance though.

It's weird how Tags get targeted like they do. The only thing that distinguishes them visually is their tag (that they wear so obviously). The opposite should also be possible - that the Anti-Tags just take some tags themselves and infiltrate into functions like this to gather information.

Yeah, I think it's a series that purposely overlooks that aspect for the sake of plot/entertainment. So I'm not going to overthink it because it's ridiculous in the face of it with the information we have on our hands at the moment.

What's also bothers me is how seemingly weak they're. I guess I need to reassess what being a Twilight actually means.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-23-2015, 12:09 PM
What's also bothers me is how seemingly weak they're. I guess I need to reassess what being a Twilight actually means

It seems like they're genetically modified soldiers or something.. and there are a bunch of weak duds. The strongest ones paid some sort of compensation, but I'm not sure that's a willing process.

Kraco
Sun, 08-23-2015, 01:04 PM
I enjoyed Alex's song. It was better than I expected.

I don't really get the mafia family's problems, though. The whole city is rotten, so the mafia should basically be the highest authority there. Of course if the Christianos are so financially troubled, that would limit their operations, but how bad can it be if they are still one of the four important families? It would make sense they could send a bunch of goons to patrol the streets around the bar. What sort of a mafia family can't even protect their own immediate turf? Any upstart competitor would get rid of them soon.

So, the tag issue wasn't the only flaw in this episode.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-23-2015, 11:38 PM
@Kraco - I can't believe you complained about Plastic Memories's contrived body reuse episode and not have a fit about Alex remembering his forgotten brother the very same episode he decides to visit.

@Everyone else - Nicolas is going for the tight and fresh loli. Stop making shit up.

Kraco
Mon, 08-24-2015, 01:29 AM
@Kraco - I can't believe you complained about Plastic Memories's contrived body reuse episode and not have a fit about Alex remembering his forgotten brother the very same episode he decides to visit.

It's certainly far too convenient, but I decided to ignore it for now because the dude never got close to Alex. So, it doesn't matter for now.

Buffalobiian
Mon, 08-24-2015, 07:26 AM
I'm talking more in the context of Alex being Nic's woman (his "trophy" excuse he used to save her life) and how he's been introduced as that as that sub-sequentially.

So yeah, Worick better keep his hands to himself.

Hah, he was all over her from the beginning. :p

http://i.imgur.com/kF7gcoo.jpg

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-30-2015, 02:14 PM
Ep9:

"Quality"

such a waste, the ep itself was pretty cool but wow, this felt like as if I was looking directly at their storyboard.

Kraco
Mon, 08-31-2015, 05:52 AM
I'm always annoyed when the villains slaughter people left and right and then the good guys (if you can call anybody that in this show) allow them to escape no questions asked. Why the the S rank super woman from the guild allow those two to escape? They were no match for her at all, as we saw. Quite a plot hole. In fact even Nic could have disposed of them if he had dealt with Delly's sister right when he had her pinned down in the beginning. Instead he was just staring at her and granting her all the time in the world to turn the tables. You'd think a dude who has been a mercenary since he was nothing but a little kid would know better.

The feeling of the story following a script, not logic or anything else, was quite heavy here.

KrayZ33
Mon, 08-31-2015, 11:12 AM
I partly blame the bad animation. Maybe I downloaded a broken episode, I don't know
People kinda teleported between rooms/scenes

Nic's part however wasn't *that* long, time went into slow-motion, nic hesitated for a second (I consider flashbacks and train of thoughts to take mere milliseconds) and that was enough time for her to escape.
Maybe he didn't even hesitate at all after his "huh?" scene and the sword moving towards her eyes was actually slow motion too and he tried to gut her eye out.
She managed to block his swing to the side with her bare fists a few seconds later, so it's not like she's lacking the speed to do that.

Kraco
Mon, 08-31-2015, 11:26 AM
You might be right. But the direction was bad, then, since it didn't give me that impression.

Nothing explains how those two managed to escape, though, since they were essentially helpless against the racked lady from the guild. Yet we simply saw them escape unhindered the next moment. It has been ages since I was reading the manga, so I have no recollection whatsoever if it was any better there.

Munsu
Tue, 09-01-2015, 05:56 PM
Previews had a 9.5.... wonder if we're getting some sort of recap or interlude type of episode.

I liked the idea of Nicolas being a Faker, though we'll see how much of that actually holds true when push comes to shove.

Munsu
Sun, 09-13-2015, 02:10 PM
So, there was an episode 9.5:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=731053

It was indeed a recap episode special. Very weird to see one this soon, in particular for a 12 episode series. At least it wasn't an episode that was a recap, but a special that was a recap. The distinction being that it didn't take away a numbered episode. Didn't bother to watch it. Did any of you watch it? Any new info in it worth looking into?

Anyways, here's episode 10:
http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=733274

Buffalobiian
Wed, 09-23-2015, 07:33 AM
HS - Episode 11
(http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=735683)

Did any of you watch it? Any new info in it worth looking into?

I watched it. It was pretty useful in explaining what all the different parties were up to. I didn't catch all of it during the previous 9 episodes.

More recently though, things are pretty weird. War out of nowhere.

Kraco
Wed, 09-23-2015, 09:12 AM
The tag guild is a weird place. They don't give a shit if somebody comes, blows up places, and slaughters members. It's a person's own problem if he gets killed. However, if a member gets hired and goes out to kill somebody, it becomes a huge problem and the guild goes out in force to put down such a person. I didn't realise this earlier, and thus it bothered me that they let the hunters who attacked the club escape. I don't really see why anybody would join such a guild in the first place. They do absolutely nothing to protect their members, yet you can't work freely if you are a member. Even a mafia is like a heaven for an employee compared to the tag guild.

Kraco
Mon, 09-28-2015, 04:34 AM
Episode 12 - HS

- - - -- --

I'll say one thing about the action in this show: I'm better at using a gun than anybody in that town full of criminals, including the gangsters that were born with a gun in their hand. And it's not like I'd be any master of gunmanship, though, far from it. But everybody in Ergastulum is totally and utterly miserable. They should stick to swords and knives since those they can apparently use.

Munsu
Fri, 10-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Episode 12 - HS

- - - -- --

I'll say one thing about the action in this show: I'm better at using a gun than anybody in that town full of criminals, including the gangsters that were born with a gun in their hand. And it's not like I'd be any master of gunmanship, though, far from it. But everybody in Ergastulum is totally and utterly miserable. They should stick to swords and knives since those they can apparently use.

Not sure where that comment about poor shooting is coming from, can you elaborate?

Anyways, just finished the series... sadly the last 3 or so episodes lacked focus from our main characters so it was an empty way to end the series, at least we got some Worick action at the end. In all, I expected more from this series, though I admit I enjoyed most of it regardless.

This abrupt ending is understandable though as Manglobe just filed for bankruptcy. Honestly, it sucks... they did quite a few standout series like Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy and such.

The other thing that sucks is that they were behind one of the three movies being adapted from author Project Itoh, which looks awesome, so now we don't know when their installment is going to happen: Genocidal Organ.

Anyways, it seems if this series gets a continuation at some point, it might need to happen from another studio.

Gangsta is the type of series I really like, so at the very least I'll start following the manga at some point. But as it is, the series just didn't get anywhere.

In all, the massacre in the past couple of episode were brutal and enjoyable to watch.

KrayZ33
Sun, 10-04-2015, 09:41 AM
I kinda lost interest after episode 9 and the "quality" that came along with it.
Destroys my view on a show in mere seconds.
Why would you release unfinished bullshit like that, this industry has to get it's shit together - it's not the first time it happened, but hey, they could care less about what I'm (not paying for 95% of what I'm watching) thinking about that.
It always manages to baffle me though, maybe my german germs working here but why would you release something that is not finished and how can you plan so poorly to fuck this up?
Huge backlash, everyone will look down on you, especially in a country where "saving face" is a thing

edit:

This abrupt ending is understandable though as Manglobe just filed for bankruptcy. Honestly, it sucks... they did quite a few standout series like Samurai Champloo and Ergo Proxy and such.

oh well, lol, that explains a lot of things.
Guess I'm to blame after all.