PDA

View Full Version : My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU!

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-03-2015, 04:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/30cL4nNh.jpg

Hello there,

didn't we have a Season 1 thread for this show, I can't find it.
It's moving forward pretty fast, but that's not a bad thing... Maybe 2-3 episodes/volume? If that's the case, they'll either end up animating the X.5 ones - which I didn't read or go all the way up to Volume 10 (S1 ended with Volume 6) and beyond, which is the most recent.

The "new" Character design is flashy, I like it.
Yukino looks really beautiful.

What I didn't like so much is that they left out the good parts with Saki... but they did that in S1 too. Too bad.. I hope they won't leave her out all the way, because she has some good scenes.

Kraco
Fri, 04-03-2015, 11:04 AM
It's starting to feel like Hachiman is getting more and more gay for Totsuka. If I have one problem with this series, it's that. It goes against the general theme of the dude trying to push everybody away. Otherwise it's all good stuff. This is far from the superficiality of Haganai.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-03-2015, 01:08 PM
Totsuka is the only genuinely nice person to Hachiman. Plus he's hot. I can completely understand Hachiman's dilemma.

And it's hilarious.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Well, it's never "serious" in any way, so I can laugh it off... one of my favorite moments of season 1 was when 8man despised it when Yuki greeted everyone with "Yahallooo" , until Touka started doing it and he went from "it sounds ridicilous" to "W-Wow, totally cute, everyone should do it"

Ryllharu
Fri, 04-03-2015, 02:01 PM
There are two major problems with this series:

1) Its characters do not leave an impression at all.
2) Not a damn thing happens.

As the events of the previous season were flashing by, all I could think was, "Damn, I don't remember any of this." I watched the previous season when it aired. Compare that to DRRR's intro last season and despite a five year gap I was able to remember it all. This was two years ago. I didn't really "get" this series then then. I still don't now.

I can barely tell you the names of the main characters. Strike that, I actually can't remember any of them. I have no idea who any of the supporting characters are (except for Hachiman obviously being gay for the trap). I try to remember who any of these people are, what their personalities are, whether or not the main trio helped them out before, and nothing registers. I know the one girl is cold, the other girl is a friendly ditz, and Hachiman is...like kind of an asshole, but secretly lonely and kind-hearted but...doesn't know how?

The first season left absolutely no impression on me. At all. There's a good chance I could tell you what series the girls were from if shown an image, but I still can't tell you their names. I only remember Hachiman because Arch mentioned it in IRC.

Furthermore, I couldn't tell you what the hell kind of character development happened last season. As far as I remember, it ended the way it began. Twelve episodes of basically nothing happening. They might have helped people, but I don't remember who they were or if they are part of the supporting cast. I know there was a sticker added to the door sign each episode. That's it.

Which continued here. You could condense this entire episode into 5 minutes and there would be no appreciable difference. The last 3 minutes were really the only time that anything even occurred.

There are better series out there that are like this, and they do a better job of it. Somehow...this is super popular, but I just don't really get it. Nothing happens, and nothing about any of the characters stand out. It's tough to even call it slice of life, because the characters end the same way they start.

I just can't see myself following this for an entire second season. I keep hearing how other people think it is great, but I simply don't see the appeal.

I will give it the requisite two more episodes, then probably just drop it.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-03-2015, 03:17 PM
It's popular because Hachiman is awesome and gets shit done despite being insanely anti-social and cynical.

It is also terribly realistic at times (at least from the perspective of RL loners), especially when portraying human relationships. I don't think I've ever empathized with a harem (it's not really a harem) protagonist more.

I agree that it isn't for everyone. I'd actually wager that a good chunk of people who like it just enjoy the cute character designs.

KrayZ33
Fri, 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM
The show manages to be both sweetly amusing and extremely sharp and... bitter. Both Yukino and 8man reflect that.

It's not really a "feel-good" comedy and continuously honest about how the world works. I can't say I've seen alot of shows like it.
Watching this show is like watching people.
It helps that the MC is without equal, the most pragmatic I've seen and won't get carried away by visions, dreams and is free of ideology, because we've seen enough of the opposite in other shows.

edit:... and I like suffering, Batman.. eh, Hachiman sells this show for me. So does a deadpan like Yukino
I disagree with the statement that the characters fail to leave an impression. I believe the first season made their stance and ideals on things very clear.
But I guess thats easy for me to say if I remember it and someone else doesn't.
What can I say... other than "tastes differ"

There are better series out there that are like this, and they do a better job of it.

Which one though? Would probably watch them.
The only Anime that gets related to it on anidb is "Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai" and that one is so much worse. It doesn't even get close. I can't name a single show that illustrates every-day social situations and the psychology behind the interactions between the characters (from the POV of a cynical teen) to such a degree (in the romcom genre).
Oreshura, Chuuni, Nisekoi... they're are so "normal"

For example, the only character I know that is similiar to this show's MC would be Kyon... somewhat.

Kraco
Fri, 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM
I simply enjoy watching Hachiman being so damn true to himself, even though he's clearly hurting himself more than helping with his ultimate better safe than sorry relationship strategy (or is it better always a little hurt than possibly majorly hurt once, who knows). He's not the usual inept love comedy lead who miraculously avoids getting any girl. He's instead using all of his efforts to make sure he won't get any. Nor is he trying to get any male friends either. That's why I'm sort of annoyed by the Totsuka case. Even though there's a saying in Finnish going along the lines of an exception confirming a rule, so it's not impossible for me to accept the fact Hachiman is treating Totsuka differently.

Despite the fact it was such a sad or cruel scene, I really enjoyed it when during the first season Hachiman turned down Yui preemptively when it started to seem inevitable she was getting interested in him, not only wanted to thank him for saving her dog. So, Hachiman naturally told her that she can just already forget him because the dog case doesn't matter anymore, as if that had been her only reason to hang around him for so long. The dude really knew how to put a stop to her romantic approach for the time being, embarrasing her and making himself look like an asshole, as usual.

Kraco
Sun, 04-12-2015, 02:33 PM
Yahallo 02 - FFF

- - - - - -

This felt like one of Hachiman's least stunts by scale, but I suppose in other ways it was still quite big, for example in imagining how many other people could have done the same. The others tell him he's nasty and his methods are nastier, but in the end nobody had any better ideas, so it was, once again, up to his wicked ways to solve the case. On the other hand with his preexisting reputation maybe he was the only person who could naturally (if such a thing can be natural) do it without causing a bigger problem in the process. He's got nothing to lose personally, after all, and everybody else knows that as well. It's already quite interesting how he has got no friends, unless you count Totsuka, but quite a few people can still approach with effortlessly by now, even if half the time they seek him out to tell him how low he is.

To be entirely honest Hachiman spends so much time with Yui and Yukino that it's kind of hard to view him as totally forlorn case in realistic terms, but obviously without those interactions there would be little to see in the show.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-12-2015, 02:46 PM
Yu and Yukino aren't his friends. They are merely his club mates.

That is what he believes, at least. That's why he failed to understand how hurting himself hurt those that care about him in the process. Hachiman is used to the abuse and can take it. That does not mean he feels nothing. He just believed that his feelings have lesser value than those of the other people around him, and as such, he sacrificed himself for them.

However, Yui and Yukino clearly think otherwise. They care for him more than they do about the others. Seeing him damage himself with his methods hurt them too. That's why the two of them were so angry at him at the end of the episode.

While I do understand those two, they should also put themselves in Hachiman's shoes. He knows no other way. Just that fact alone implies how horrible a life he has led. It's not like he chose that method because he likes to hurt himself. Despite his cynical thoughts and words, in the end, Hachiman is absurdly kind. That's what those two girls like about him, not his sharp mind.

Scolding him and walking away like that isn't a good way to fix the error of his ways. Hachiman is damaged. Kicking him down more isn't gonna help.

Kraco
Sun, 04-12-2015, 03:02 PM
He knows no other way.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. It's merely the most efficient way for one in his position. He's pretty sharp, so he likely could come up with other strategies, also those that would suit popular people. But an unpopular person can't make popular people do stuff, so he's stuck with doing the unpopular things himself, mainly.

Scolding him and walking away like that isn't a good way to fix the error of his ways. Hachiman is damaged. Kicking him down more isn't gonna help.

Of course. But it suits this story perfectly. It would ruin everything if too many good things happened to him.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 04-12-2015, 03:13 PM
He's pretty sharp, so he likely could come up with other strategies, also those that would suit popular people. But an unpopular person can't make popular people do stuff, so he's stuck with doing the unpopular things himself, mainly.

That's exactly it. Even if he could come up with strategies, they still have to be put into action, and he lacks that ability. He does not have Hayama's looks or popularity, nor people to help him (or so he thinks). He's so used to being alone that he defaults to solo skills that uses his own HP to use. His bocchiness is part of what limits his potential.

Of course. But it suits this story perfectly. It would ruin everything if too many good things happened to him.

I'm not complaining about the story, which I love. I'm complaining about the characters' actions, which I hated. The two of them smiled and entrusted (handed over because they can't do shit) the issue to him, and when he does something about it, they get pissed at him. Jerks.

neflight86
Mon, 04-13-2015, 01:37 PM
At least, in being upset by his sacrificial tactics, they affirm to us (him and the viewership) that they care about him, which is the most tangible gain he could hope for his services.

KrayZ33
Tue, 04-14-2015, 05:04 PM
I'm not complaining about the story, which I love. I'm complaining about the characters' actions, which I hated. The two of them smiled and entrusted (handed over because they can't do shit) the issue to him, and when he does something about it, they get pissed at him. Jerks.

I agree, his solution was actually not as "bad" as the previous ones (remember the camp where he made 4 girls reset their "friend status"?). For me, no one got hurt here, not even Hachiman himself. It might be different when Tobe's friends talk about it at school though but there is Hayama, who knows how to handle that and could probably stop any "badmouthing" comming from them.

Tobe was "okay" with it
Ebina was glad he did it.
Hayama has no right to really complain about how it was done. He *asked* him to do it, it's not like he didn't know how he would do it.
And Yui + Yukino could neither do anything themselves nor was there any reason for them to "pity" him.

I mean... why?
Ebina knew what was going on, Hachiman was lying anyway - and would you feel hurt if someone says "no" to your half-assed love confession?
For me this was a nice way of telling Tobe to give up for now... Neither Ebina nor Tobe had to face any consequences and they arn't even mad at Hachiman, Tobe even said/acted like something that could be translated as "No hard feelings", so why all this "stop hitting yourself" stuff.

Well, maybe Yui+Yukino wanted them to conclude this by letting Tobe get shot down, but they fail to show even the slightest amount of understanding for Hachiman. Just consider the situation he was in, with having to deal with not just one side of the story (Tobe's) but also with Ebina's, Hayama's and Yumiko's.
Of course, both of them didn't know that, but they wouldn't even let him explain either... not that it would've made much of a difference, seeing how Hachiman would probably lie about it and try to justify it without mentioning anything related to the "informal" request he recieved during the trip.

edit: for the episode itself
I had a few problems with it... it's not only that it felt rushed but I believe they didn't let us hear Hachiman inner thoughts enough. S1 had him talk more about how the world around him is biased, wrong and fake etc. and we didn't even get much of a reaction out of him when Hayama revealed his inability to do anything here. It was supposed to be a rather impactful scene, wasn't it? Let's not forget that Hayama nearly punched him in the freaking face right at the end of S1.

His train of thought was missing in my opinion, I guess they couldn't spare enough time to fit it all in (especially in the earlier parts during the trip)... which saddens me, because - well I might be wrong here - it's what made people like the show, isn't it?
At least I want more of his judgemental, darker innser side.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-14-2015, 06:12 PM
Ah, you may be right. I don't remember the LN well enough to compare, but this did seem to happen way too fast. Wasn't the first two episodes an entire book? Usually it's 3-4 per book.

Kraco
Wed, 04-15-2015, 02:01 AM
Well, maybe Yui+Yukino wanted them to conclude this by letting Tobe get shot down, but they fail to show even the slightest amount of understanding for Hachiman. Just consider the situation he was in, with having to deal with not just one side of the story (Tobe's) but also with Ebina's, Hayama's and Yumiko's.
Of course, both of them didn't know that, but they wouldn't even let him explain either... not that it would've made much of a difference, seeing how Hachiman would probably lie about it and try to justify it without mentioning anything related to the "informal" request he recieved during the trip.

Especially Yui who loves but also Yukino likes Hachiman, so they naturally don't want to see him hurt himself with his strange solutions to problems. For Yui it must have been quite hard to watch Hachiman confess to another girl, even if it was fake and pure strategy. After all, Hachiman earlier turned down Yui in quite a cold way. While they had no way of their own to solve this particular case, they might have still preferred the dude from another group to suffer the consequences rather than Hachiman of their own group. I don't honestly see why they should have praised his effort, which only benefitted Hayama's group but damaged their own.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-15-2015, 08:25 AM
And Yui did mention that she thought Hachiman was serious for a second. Her heart must have fallen to the ground at that moment.

But when I remember how much damage Hachiman takes from these two girls (even though he is "numb" to it by now), I can't really fault him for not realizing their feelings too much either. When Hachiman and Yukino were walking back together to the hotel after eating ramen with foreveralone, Yukino told him to keep away from her because she did not want to be seen together with him. Those kinds of things would make anyone think that they aren't liked, especially someone with tattered confidence like Hachiman.

Kraco
Wed, 04-15-2015, 09:51 AM
But when I remember how much damage Hachiman takes from these two girls (even though he is "numb" to it by now), I can't really fault him for not realizing their feelings too much either. When Hachiman and Yukino were walking back together to the hotel after eating ramen with foreveralone, Yukino told him to keep away from her because she did not want to be seen together with him. Those kinds of things would make anyone think that they aren't liked, especially someone with tattered confidence like Hachiman.

Can you really include Yui, though? Yukino certainly doesn't spare any words to let Hachiman hear just how miserable he is, but I don't think Yui does much of that sort. She's still trying to maintain her relationship with the more popular people, but she's not avoiding Hachiman at all. Add to that the fact Hachiman knows she is, or was, romantically interested in him. He just couldn't accept it (he wouldn't be Hachiman if he had). I feel sorry for Yui when watching this show.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-15-2015, 09:53 AM
On Yui's part, she hangs out with people who call Hachiman a loser. I certainly would not like it if a "friend" does that.

KrayZ33
Wed, 04-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Yukino told him to keep away from her because she did not want to be seen together with him. Those kinds of things would make anyone think that they aren't liked, especially someone with tattered confidence like Hachiman.

She didn't want to be seen with him because it was late and people would start saying/thinking indecent things about them.
However, I got the feeling that Hachiman understood that completely and wasn't offended by that.
But on a more general side of things, yeah, Yukino really likes to poke him as much as possible.

I don't honestly see why they should have praised his effort, which only benefitted Hayama's group but damaged their own.

I just can't see the damage done to Hachiman here... I get it that Yui is really dense, so you could argue that she didn't get it at first and was hurt by his confession to another girl and since Yukino is so close to Yui, she is angry at Hachiman for hurting her feelings. But right after he got shot down, Yui didn't run away in tears as if saying "why did you turn me down? Why do you think Ebina is a better choice than me" - She stayed and talked to him which tells me that, even if she had to confirm it just to be sure, she knew it was a fake confession.

There is no aftermath here other than what the group caused to itself.

edit: I just remembered that Yui+Yukino didn't know about Hachiman's talk with Hayato, Ebina (what he got out of her "request") and Yumiko. That actually changes things alot, for them he took the hit for Tobe and only for him.. but it's a totally different conclusion in Hachiman's eyes.

He helped Hayato, who couldn't intervene at all and was pretty much lost
He saved the friendship of Yui and Yumiko
He stopped their circle from falling apart

All that with a mere bluff... but Yui and Yukino don't know that Hayato and the rest won't think badly of him for what he did, in their eyes he just sacrificed himselfs/his social status, which of course pains them at this point and time of the story, even if they never officially said they are "friends"

Kraco
Wed, 04-15-2015, 12:01 PM
I said before that this arc felt somewhat lighter than some of his earlier plots. What you said is true in that sense. But I think in the bigger picture this wasn't so different. From an objective pov he suddenly barged in and ruined the dude's long awaited confession scene. If the situation hadn't been so special, that would have been an unforgivable douche move. Even under these circumstances it was quite nasty because he did it without informing anybody else beforehand. Hard to see any other more shocking solutions to the problem. I reckon Yui and Yukino can't anymore judge his stunts case by case. They are growing tired of the fact all of his deeds are like this if not worse.

Kraco
Sat, 04-18-2015, 09:46 AM
Episode 3 - HS

- - - - - -

It looks like the gap between Yukino and Hachiman is growing ever wider. The conflict is very concrete already. Of course it means Yukino actually cares, which makes it all the better. I feel sorry for Yui who doesn't anymore know where she should place herself. It's naturally she sticks to the brighter side under such circumstances, but that doesn't make her feel any better. My previous estimation that Yukino's displeasure has been slowly building up and the otherwise somewhat mild false confession was merely the last straw looks more likely now. It was also nice to watch how the others can't really come up with solid solid solutions without Hachiman's dark ways. The teacher verified as much by telling Hachiman hold the lead.

The, probably, first and last love interest from the previous school made a timely appearance considering what's going on. Now we know the dude actually tried to live a more normal and spirited teenage life, but as expected he failed. Having at least a single experience under his belt also explains how he could suddenly pull off the stunt of the previous arc.

I'm looking forward to the conclusion of this arc, now that they are basically working separately and perhaps even against each other. I don't really know why Hachiman should really bother to make it happen with the group broken and everything. Why does he feel so responsible? There should be a limit to being a nice guy when he's so isolated.

neflight86
Tue, 04-21-2015, 01:29 PM
The scene in the pastry shop was gut wrenching for me to watch.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 04-21-2015, 01:49 PM
It was. I hate all the girls in that scene, including Haruno.

Kraco
Tue, 04-21-2015, 02:35 PM
I don't remember Haruno's scenes so well from the first season. Was she always a person who doesn't really give a shit about other people's situations that much and just does whatever she wants? Somehow I got such a feeling during that scene, but I might be remembering wrong as well. She seems to be pushing Yukino, at least, to some direction. It's actually not such a bad personality in some ways, because normally people look down on Hachiman, without an exception, even though it can be either contempt or pity, or a mix of them. Maybe Haruno just treats him like she would treat anybody, for her own amusement. After all, she first derived fun from Hachiman's failed confession and then she even had her fun by suddenly dragging in the popular dude Hayato. So, she treated those two with no difference.

neflight86
Wed, 04-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Hayato mentioned that she only gives this much attention to people she is interested in. Sadist?

shinta|hikari
Wed, 04-22-2015, 05:18 PM
She's obviously an S, and a manipulative bitch at that.

Hachiman is not an M. She should go find a partner for her cruel entertainment elsewhere.

Kraco
Sat, 04-25-2015, 04:37 AM
Episode 4 - HS

- - - - - - --

Hayato really managed to go over the top by doing the unnecessary that can only backfire. He's not an evil guy, of course, but somehow he ended up sitting on a horse so high that he can't read the situation, especially Hachiman's, at all. So, he arranged the worst possible "date" for Hachiman, making the dude listen to ridicule for hours, and then ended it by a grand spectacle of inconveniencing and embarrassing everybody and insulting Hachiman, even if with good intentions. All in all you'd think that if he wanted to help or thank Hachiman, he could have come up with something more sensible. It's not like he couldn't have known how it would end up after experiencing the cafe scene of the previous ep. He's just as twisted as Hachiman, just in a different way.

Other than that, I feel like this arc is stretching believability a little bit. It feels too heavy for rather ordinary high school drama. But then again, I guess young people living it could be feeling it rather strongly. I can't say I wouldn't be enjoying the conflict within the club or in other words between Hachiman and Yui+Yukino. Although with every episode I'm hoping more and more that Hachiman would just accept Yui, and try to reform himself a little bit. The ending scene of this ep made it look like he might be falling for Yui a little, even if he previously was eyeing Yukino, I guess. Still, the novels are ongoing, so I doubt anything will change.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 04-25-2015, 08:14 AM
Haruno = Bitch.
Hayato = Jerk.

At least those two girls somewhat got what's coming to them. I'd like to add a detail lost in the adaptation process (yey anime with clone faces). Yukino and Yui are both really beautiful, several cuts above the two Hayato fans. Seeing Y&Y show up and not deny Hayato's claim about caring for our cute monster of logic put them in their place.

neflight86
Mon, 04-27-2015, 01:35 PM
Another Ackwonderful episode. I surely felt better when old crush and emerald echo were put on full blast. It was odd how earnestly they were trying to make fun of Hatchi, like they had nothing better to talk about to Hayato.

Speaking of, I've narrowed his possible motives down to the following:

Pity for an unsung hero

Guilt over getting even more popular at his expense (s1)

Wanting to give Hatchi a taste of his own medicine (well intentioned or not)

Showing off for one of the ladies present

Did I miss any?

shinta|hikari
Mon, 04-27-2015, 01:37 PM
Him being an ass?

Kraco
Sat, 05-02-2015, 06:11 AM
Episode 5 - HS

- - - - -

I always feel it's a bit unrealistic when a brother and sister get along too well or go too far to support each other actively in relationship issues especially, but fortunately there were no incestous vibes here, at the very least.

I did appreciate Hachiman reevaluating his stance and goals here, even though his methods funnily enough can't change, just like Yui noted. I wonder if Yukino actually wanted the three to transfer from the club to the student council. She certainly seemed dissatisfied, and it wasn't only because Hachiman alone (from the club), once again, solved the problem. She's kind of grouchy all the time, so maybe it doesn't really matter. Yui patting Hachiman's head and moving her chair next to his was a jolly scene to end the ep. The core element of the show is Hachiman sticking to being alone and pushing everybody away, but in the end I guess it would be unrealistic if he continued like that forever, despite numerous chances to break the curse.

neflight86
Mon, 05-04-2015, 01:38 PM
A shrewed move yet again. Turning the problem into the solution was a stroke of genious.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM
He had help.

Komachi <3

Kraco
Sat, 05-09-2015, 06:14 AM
Episode 06 - HS

- - - -- - -

I had no idea where this ep was going when Hachiman decided to remove the new request from the club roster and handle it himself. I failed to see the motive and reason behind that action. However, that was promptly forgotten once the absurd meetings began. I couldn't help but think this was personal venting by the author and a not so subtle jab at all the useless meetings lots of people have to go through in their work. It was so funnily bizarre and exaggerated that even Hachiman was almost left speechless. The chaiman's strange gestures made it all the better as you can totally see some young businessmen, consults, politicians, and so forth using such tricks to somehow try to enhance their personality. Hachiman's counter arguments were golden.

It wasn't so long ago I read from the newspaper or some other somewhat reliable source of a study where a good number of workers in the West had been asked about various official meetings at work. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I seem to recall employees answered over 50% of all meetings were totally useless waste of time that only lowered their work efficiency. It must be the same in Japan based on this ep.

I wonder why this new girl is getting so much plot time, though. Did the author run out of ideas of how to involve Yui and Yukino?

neflight86
Sun, 05-10-2015, 11:59 PM
Seems like the last solution prompted some follow up since he was instrumental in instating an incompetent student council president. That's probably why he is taking this one solo.

I look forward to seeing how he systematically cleans up the throughput (people) problems hampering this project or doesn't and jumps on a grenade again to fix this.

If he winds up with an un-requited harem, I would say he at least has done more to earn it than most protagonists in anime!

Kraco
Mon, 05-11-2015, 01:59 AM
Seems like the last solution prompted some follow up since he was instrumental in instating an incompetent student council president. That's probably why he is taking this one solo.

That's indeed logically sort of true, but the fact is Yui and Yukino were ready accept the request. The assistance club is somewhat internally strained at the moment, so a new task should have allowed them to concentrate on something external and let things proceed more smoothly again by occypying their minds with meaningful stuff instead of old regrets and problems. The only reason I can see is that Hachiman wanted to keep those two away from the student council since he basically removed them from the competition.

Kraco
Sat, 05-23-2015, 05:32 AM
Episode 8 - HS

- - - - - -- - --

Yeah, I don't understand either. Usually I'm pretty good at analysing characters, though not nearly always correctly, but this was a bit too dense. Or rather, there was too little substance and too much teen romantic comedy. Hachiman and Yukino are so super walled and antisocial that I feel bad for the airhead Yui, who's sandwiched between those two. She could really live a smooth, light life without thinking too much if she didn't have nutcases like those two to hang around with. Still, I guess it's pretty embarrassing for a dude with Hachiman's history to confess he wants to belong to a club and experience normal social interactions.

He did manage to make two girls cry, at the very least. That's something already. I hope he has a decent follow-up in mind.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 05-23-2015, 02:41 PM
At this point, I don't think the author even understands what the characters are talking about, much less the characters or the viewers.

I know I certainly don't.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 05-23-2015, 04:52 PM
I'll try explaining later when i get proper net.

EDIT: I'll try to keep it concise.

Hachiman and Yukino both hate superficial and fake interactions. That's why Hachiman sort of looks down on Hayato's gang (because it is utterly fake). However, the club and its members became important enough for them to actually resort to doing the same thing, like how Hachiman attends for a bit before leaving to help Iroha, and how Yukino humors Yui's attempts to smooth things over.

Their relationship became strained because of Hachiman's stunts. He realized he was wrong because he was hurting the other two. That's why he decided to tell them what he wants. He wants something real. Not a fake relationship maintained just for the sake of it, but real friendships.

Take note that the 3 club members are all socially inept, including Yui. All of them don't know what a real friendship is because they've never had it (or so they think). That's what they meant when they were all saying "I don't get this shit."

Does that clarify it enough?

I really loved this part of the light novel. I think I actually cried when Hachiman said he wanted something real. I was drunk but I think I cried again when I watched this episode.

Yeah, I'm a crybaby for 2D.

Kraco
Sat, 06-13-2015, 02:20 AM
Episode 11 - HS

- -- - ----

Nothing happened in this episode. That's quite a good summary of it. Aside from people strangely trying to decide their future based on what their high school mates are planning to do. I never saw anything like that in RL. Felt quite unrealistic.

Iroha seems to enjoy sticking to Hachiman, yet she's still all over Hayato. I guess poor Hachiman is getting some kind of safe guy treatment.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-13-2015, 07:30 AM
Aside from people strangely trying to decide their future based on what their high school mates are planning to do. I never saw anything like that in RL. Felt quite unrealistic.

No it isn't. I know several people from my high school batch that followed their love interests into college (that are below their academic level). Those didn't work out, but they certainly exist. Maybe it is more of an Asian thing? I believe a lot of the cultural and relationship dynamics tackled by this show are rather Asian, much like Hayato's family dictated lifestyle and future.

vejita613
Sat, 06-13-2015, 08:22 AM
Nothing happened in this episode.

Other than Yukino pretty much winning Hikki Bowl 2015.

Kraco
Sat, 06-13-2015, 01:50 PM
No it isn't. I know several people from my high school batch that followed their love interests into college (that are below their academic level). Those didn't work out, but they certainly exist. Maybe it is more of an Asian thing? I believe a lot of the cultural and relationship dynamics tackled by this show are rather Asian, much like Hayato's family dictated lifestyle and future.

Right. I keep forgetting I shouldn't judge stuff in anime based on my own values. It's an alien culture in Japan, after all.

Other than Yukino pretty much winning Hikki Bowl 2015.

Dunno. He's momentarily very easily embarrassed and impressed by attention from cute girls. But given a little time afterwards, he has convinced himself nothing happened or even that something negative happened.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 06-13-2015, 02:45 PM
Am I the only one rooting for IrohasuXHachiman? It seems he would be happiest with her.

Kraco
Sat, 06-13-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm rooting for Yui. I'm annoyed by Iroha because she seeks help, support (and company) from Hachiman all the time, yet keeps on prattling about the dream boy Hayama endlessly. Even if she ended up with Hachiman, it would always carry the feeling she gave up on her real dream and settled for a lesser man (in her opinion) because he was easily available. Quite unfair for Yui who wanted Hachiman and Hachiman only from the beginning. Yui is also an airhead in a cute way. And she's bloody hot.

KrayZ33
Sun, 06-14-2015, 05:04 AM
Right. I keep forgetting I shouldn't judge stuff in anime based on my own values. It's an alien culture in Japan, after all.

Nah, that thing might happen in every culture/country. At least I think/hope so, because kids don't think about their future that much. At least I didn't. And what you learn in Highschool barely matters anyway even if you want to go to college. But since the school-system is different in many countries, that might be different.

Back then, I went with what I could do best (if I remember correctly thats what 8man did?).. not with what I wanted to do and whenever I had to choose between 2 things I don't really care about, I chose the one where my friends went to.

Well, the schoolsystem in Germany is a joke anyway. I didn't go much, faked illness - you know, like the stupid kid I was back then, wanted to play WoW and stuff (missed over 300+ hours in a year or so) and managed to get ~3.3 Abitur (which is really bad!) if I remember correctly, oddly enough - according to wiki, thats ,approximately to the US system, still a B-.

Just how easy is it to get good notes in the US? Odd. If someone would ask me what a 2.3 is, i'd say a B or B-, not A-. Totally different topic I know.. will shut up now.

Kraco
Sun, 06-14-2015, 03:24 PM
Btw, how did Hachiman manage to fall like that? Is he 4 years old or a male dojikko? Or is it something neurological? A sing of Parkinson's? That was a stupid plot device.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 06-14-2015, 03:39 PM
During the marathon? He was pushing himself way past his limit. People trip when they do that. It's happened to me before, and I'm no dojikko.

Munsu
Mon, 07-24-2017, 09:10 PM
Just started and finished watching this series, and I enjoyed the heck out it which surprised me. The second season I didn't like as much though, but whatever. Thought it was well done overall.

Guess the question comes, where to go from here? Ended in kinda of a cliffhanger situation. As I'm noticing, most discussion threads have ended a few episodes prior to the last episode, guess no one cares to elaborate on how shows ended.

Haven't watched the last OVA though, should do so shortly.

neflight86
Thu, 07-27-2017, 08:44 PM
There was hardly any resolution, and the author makes his character exposition very... dense, leaving many plot elements open to interpretation. Last I heard, it had almost caught up to the novels, so another season was a ways off.

Munsu
Fri, 07-28-2017, 05:27 AM
There was hardly any resolution, and the author makes his character exposition very... dense, leaving many plot elements open to interpretation. Last I heard, it had almost caught up to the novels, so another season was a ways off.

Yeah, that's what I saw... like we're all caught up.

Funny, if you see the Student Council from the other school and their vagueness on just about every subject and how they go round and round is a perfect parallel to describe how the 2nd season went. A lot of vagueness.

But whatever, still enjoyed it plenty and hoping for more eventually.

neflight86
Tue, 07-17-2018, 07:15 PM
By the powers of my mighty Necro!

No news on more adaptation, but I just now got around to watching the OVA, and if you wanted a pinch more SNAFU, I would highly recommend this basically lost episode:

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. Zoku - OVA (https://nyaa.si/view/972616)

It makes me a little sad, actually, because I am now firmly certain this is my favorite rom-com anime, and being with these characters a little bit longer is bitter sweet.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-16-2019, 04:01 PM
Third and final season is coming:

https://preview.redd.it/c9x3jkokohm21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&efd1baa3https://preview.redd.it/c9x3jkokohm21.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&efd1baa31863

KrayZ33
Sat, 03-16-2019, 04:44 PM
oh sweet, since the translator I liked stopped after the anime overtook the LN I was actually dying to know how it'll end.

This is cool. Hikki has been one of my favorite MCs for a while now.

Kraco
Sat, 03-16-2019, 05:29 PM
This is good news. One series from the past I don't mind continuing to watch. At least as long as Iroha isn't the winning girl.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 03-17-2019, 03:55 AM
How dare you?

neflight86
Mon, 03-18-2019, 04:18 PM
Happy Day! This is great news (another season and the hope of an actual conclusion)!

Munsu
Wed, 06-24-2020, 04:37 PM
Well, seems like the new season is starting in about 2 weeks... and I don't remember ANYTHING =(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGtaYl-55KI

Kraco
Thu, 06-25-2020, 05:25 AM
and I don't remember ANYTHING =(

I remember something, like the characters. I also remember that shameless Iroha, who keeps exploiting Hachiman's kindness, yet is in love with another dude (I think it was Hayato).

Munsu
Thu, 06-25-2020, 04:58 PM
I remember something, like the characters. I also remember that shameless Iroha, who keeps exploiting Hachiman's kindness, yet is in love with another dude (I think it was Hayato).

This scene with the hand gestures is the only thing that stuck with me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=304dzyQHM6c

neflight86
Fri, 07-10-2020, 06:47 AM
S3 ep1 is out

Just like I remember it. The perfect mixture of wannabe edge, teen awkwardness, and sweetness to melt my jaded heart. It even looks almost exactly like season 2, animation-wise.

Kawasaki? More like Kawaii-saki, amirite?

As much as I love this, I still don't quite understand what Yukinoshita is trying to accomplish other than asserting her will to her sister? They all talk about such things in such vague terms. Is it more of the 'open my own wings to fly' thing?

Kraco
Fri, 07-10-2020, 05:15 PM
Maybe I'd have needed to remember the ending of the previous season to understand the talk scene in the beginning. As it is, it was just a lot of talk. Otherwise this was the familiar Hachiman social self-destruction. It was pretty sad how he didn't even taste the cookies but just put them out of sight.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-10-2020, 07:23 PM
They all talk about such things in such vague terms.

It doesn't help that a huge chunk of that conversation was mistranslated.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-11-2020, 01:13 AM
Yeah, seems like the translator is a real dud.
I mean, in some cases it seems like the whole "who said what" is completely backwards and wrong and they are translating from a different point of view.

neflight86
Sat, 07-11-2020, 07:28 AM
Oh? In that case, I'll wait/rewatch from horriblesubs, then.

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-11-2020, 07:34 AM
Doesn't HS use CrunchyRoll subs (which is where the mistakes are from? Or at least, CR uses these weird ass translations from whomever)

Either way, it seems like the official subs really mess around with who they are talking about or add words that are completely out of context and not said at all.

If anyone knows where to get the good subs, I'd appreciate it.
I do at least want the subs to talk about the correct things.

https://nyaa.si/?f=0&c=0_0&q=literallywho
https://nyaa.si/view/1261577

by the looks of it, this is from Spyro(?), he translated the original LN up to the point where the anime overtook the novels. His writing was pretty good and I trust him to point out the correct things.

Any suggestions?
Heres me hoping that some kid bothers to remux good translations with a good video source

Munsu
Sat, 07-11-2020, 03:21 PM
Oh? In that case, I'll wait/rewatch from horriblesubs, then.

Wait, so what release did you guys watch?

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-11-2020, 03:57 PM
I just watched Noice (v3)/Literallywho a few hours ago.
But I'm not sure if he'll translate the rest.

neflight86
Sun, 07-19-2020, 08:22 AM
Wait, so what release did you guys watch?

[Anime Time] was the group I used. I'm still parsing out who might have the best translation going forward.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-19-2020, 12:22 PM
MTBB from what I've heard. They picked it up because episode 1 was done so horribly.
Apparently, the official translation for the second episode was just fine, but MTBB's filesize is just half of what you have to download from horrible subs and it still looks better.

neflight86
Tue, 07-28-2020, 08:57 AM
ep3

I feel like I could watch this forever, as even just these insipid character interactions are plenty for me.

KrayZ33
Fri, 08-14-2020, 12:27 PM
ep6

--------------------------------------------

woah, we are going to see another "wave and move your hands awkwardly while saying random stuff and look smart" scene next episode.
I'm all in.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-22-2020, 10:06 AM
woah, we are going to see another "wave and move your hands awkwardly while saying random stuff and look smart" scene next episode.
I'm all in.

Ep7

HOLY SHIIIIIT

neflight86
Fri, 08-28-2020, 06:42 AM
Did not expect a rap battle; but I'm not complaining. It was surreal and I was entranced...

Even though she wasn't in the latest episode, I'm really enjoying Iroha's little arc. Unlike the other two (three if you count Kawasaki), she remains actively annoyed at her feelings of affection for the 8 man, and has even less experience in expressing them. As he said, it's cute.

Looking forward to the teeth pulling that is negotiating with Hyama.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 08-28-2020, 08:48 PM
Ep 8 is already out.

8man and Yukino deserve each other. Fuck off, Yahalloahama.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-17-2020, 08:13 PM
Ep 11 is out.

AND MY SHIP HAS SAILED!!!!!!!!

That was probably the best confession scene I've ever seen in anime, or otherwise.

neflight86
Mon, 09-21-2020, 06:57 AM
That was what, three (almost) confessions in one episode? Good stuff. Looks like the main story is wrapped up, so we can enjoy one last slice of life episode after.

My only regret is that Yuki's sister never got any real comeuppance for her constant meddling- but maybe her life as the future matriarch that she partially resents is her actual punishment?

A hug? How lewd!

neflight86
Sun, 09-27-2020, 01:27 PM

About the best ending I could have hoped for to a story with essentially no conflict. Enjoy your pseudo harem, Hachiman, you earned it!

shinta|hikari
Sun, 09-27-2020, 07:02 PM
Yukinon is sooooo cute!!! I am so glad my ship sailed into the sunset, and what a wonderful sunset it is.

I like how Iroha and Yahallo are both still gunning for 8man. One mistake from Yukino and he'd get NTRd.