PDA

View Full Version : The iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-12-2015, 04:09 PM

Synopsis from ANN/MyAnimeList:
There are many idols with long-established talent agency 346 Production. And now the company is starting a new program, the Cinderella Project!

Girls leading normal lives...

They are chosen to be aspiring idols and see another world for the first time in this Cinderella story. Can they all climb the stairs that lead to the palace?

The magic begins now...

Horriblesubs Episode 1 (https://kickass.so/horriblesubs-the-idolm-ster-cinderella-girls-01-1080p-mkv-t10057618.html)

--------------------------

I really did not expect to like this because I usually hate idol shows, but I loved the first episode. The producer reminds me of Minato Kageaki in the VN Full Metal DaemonL Muramasa. His emotionless and lethargic behavior was hilarious, especially in contrast to his dedication and eye for talent, which is something proven by his 2nd idol selection.

Rin is absolutely hot. Her design is sort of Mio-generic, but there is something about the combination of her long black hair, thin neck, pearl necklace, and loose collar that is just so moe. The rough attitude without going overboard is also a big plus. It just makes me want to keep her as a pet cat or something.

Kraco
Mon, 01-12-2015, 04:24 PM
I haven't really ever watched idol shows. I doubt Skip Beat counts. Is this basically something similar to the voice actor / anime business shows or something totally different that would require deep knowledge of the whole Japanese idol craze? Usually I'd have added Idolmaster to the filter list at an image site, but for some reason I left it alone. Perhaps because the designs are so nice, like you said. I'd actually like to have a look at this because of Takagaki Kaede, but I don't really know if it's worth it. I never understood the whole idea of idols.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-12-2015, 05:13 PM
I don't think you need any knowledge about anything to watch this. It is a character driven story about normal girls wanting to be idols. Idols aren't really anything unique, either. Just think of them as singing/dancing performers.

The reason to watch this is for the really funny weirdo producer, cute girl(s, if more likable ones pop out. Rin by herself is enough for me), and great execution of an overused theme.

Kraco
Mon, 01-12-2015, 06:02 PM
The producer was a bloody robot, with rudimentary algorithms to try to make him look like a human. He was indeed funny with such a personality opposite to what one would expect from an idol producer.

I would have never expected it, but I did enjoy this episode well enough. I might also enjoy the future ones if they have lots of music, singing, and dancing. After all, just a weird producer won't keep thing running for too long. Conquering Rin was interesting but that's over now.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-12-2015, 06:32 PM
Having a bunch of cute girls interacting with the robotic producer would be something to watch, though. I wonder if he will be able to make a harem despite his odd personality and lack of eloquence.

Also, I'm sure he meant what he said when he mentioned "smile" as the reason for picking both girls. I bet he managed to imagine how great Rin would look if she actually smiled.

Ryllharu
Tue, 01-13-2015, 04:40 AM
Rin was fine and I liked her earrings as well for some reason (probably because most anime characters either don't have any or have impossibly huge earrings).

However, Uzuki was really annoying. I hate characters who say stuff like, "My smile is the thing I'm most confident about!" Ugh.
Her enthusiasm was fine, but then you realized that she was cheerfully for close to a month while having no progress and being told to do little but continue training. That cut deeply into the realism in my opinion.

Kraco
Tue, 01-13-2015, 06:04 AM
Nah, I don't think so. Clearly one would benefit a lot from a certain lack of brains in that kind of business. Being able to smile all the time, even through difficult times, must also be of tremendous importance.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 01-13-2015, 10:05 AM
An encounter with a stripper recently supports Kraco's opinion.

On a more serious note, Uzuki was obviously trying her best to stay positive. In the third iteration of the "lesson" command, she reacted differently. It isn't like she doesn't care about it at all. She simply thought she had nothing else she could do at the moment.

The fact that she felt depressed after finding out Rin was also selected because of her (yet to be shown) smile shows that she isn't as air headed as one thinks. A true airhead would think that the producer was honest on both accounts.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 01-14-2015, 12:03 AM
Producer in this is great so far. Definitely more interesting than the original Idolmaster producer.
I was wondering how this show would differentiate from the original, and they're doing a good job so far.

I was kind of surprised the 3rd girl looks like she will be a "genki" girl, since the first one was already "genki".

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-16-2015, 06:16 PM
THE iDOLM@STER CINDERELLA GIRLS - 02 [HorribleSubs] (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=646052)

-------------

Well...I almost decided to drop this series entirely thanks to this episode, but it did redeem itself in the last five minutes when the main trio had to learn to loosen up. The methods they used to get those three to relax was very natural and turned around the episode for me.

I realize this is about Japanese idols where none of this actually applies...but isn't it a problem that Rin:
1) Had no motivation to be an idol until a day ago
2) Has never danced before
3) No one knows if she can even sing or not

Uzuki and GenkiGirl at least both want to be idols, and we're well aware that Uzuki (nervous and klutzy she may be) has been practicing dancing for a long time. Presumably she can sing as well. Mio presumably can sing as well, but admitted she hasn't done any kind of choreographed dancing. Rin is basically a cool beauty and little else.

Right now, I feel like Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=9794) is a better representation of Idoldom because it displayed a strong emphasis on absolutely grueling hard work and relentless determination to achieve one's goal, and in two industries to boot.

Rin is just kind of going with the flow and may or may not even meet the qualifications of being in the music industry. Seems a bit off.

Kraco
Fri, 01-16-2015, 06:17 PM
Episode 2 - HS

- - - ----

Hmm... I recognised a couple of new idols. Kaede of course, but also Anzu because she has had some goofy fanart pics and kind of stands out being a little kid. Anastasia as well since she's a foreigner and thus a bit different. I can't really claim any of the others would have rung too many bells for me. There are some potential ones available, though, should they make minor appearances.

Other than that, the wooden handle of a sauna door obviously is not hot. I heard in the distant past the Russians built a sauna in a naval ship out of metal and that was bad, but wood doesn't burn in such a fashion. The outside handle obviously even less so. Man, hard to believe the director of this show has never seen a live sauna.

The producer unfortunately seemed more like a human in this episode.

Edit:

Rin is just kind of going with the flow and may or may not even meet the qualifications of being in the music industry.

You underestimate the producer android's quantum eye for talent!

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-16-2015, 06:21 PM
I like that you had a very Scandinavian gripe with this episode.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-16-2015, 11:12 PM
In episode 1, a classmate said that Rin has a good sense of pitch and even invited her to the brass band club of their school. If Rin doesn't play musical instruments (unsure based on her comment about the guitar this episode), it would mean that she has sung in front of that classmate before and showcased her talent.

My problem with this show is the number of girls. Some of them are interesting and cute, but there are way too many of them for me to give a damn. The only ones I actually liked are Rin and the sleepy loli whose name I don't even remember. Her shirt was awesome.

The art quality dropped in this episode.

Kraco
Mon, 01-26-2015, 11:37 AM
Episode 3 - HS

- - - - - --

No new idols I'd have recognized in this episode, but I have to say Anzu is more like a mascot than an idol. She even needed to be carried to the concert as if she couldn't walk on her own. Or perhaps Kirari enjoyes carrying the little thing so much she doesn't even have a chance to use her own legs. I'd like to see her do something else than sleeping, though.

I hope we will see and hear Rin sing for real soon. I guess that's where she ought to be heading.

Huh... What the hell. AniDB states Anzu is 17 years old. Unless that's an edit by some troll, she must have some genetic disorder.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 01-26-2015, 11:59 AM
but I have to say Anzu is more like a mascot than an idol. She even needed to be carried to the concert as if she couldn't walk on her own. Or perhaps Kirari enjoyes carrying the little thing so much she doesn't even have a chance to use her own legs. I'd like to see her do something else than sleeping, though.

Huh... What the hell. AniDB states Anzu is 17 years old. Unless that's an edit by some troll, she must have some genetic disorder.

There is nothing wrong with everything about Anzu.

I'd like to see her do more sleeping. Preferably nearby.

Kraco
Fri, 01-30-2015, 03:01 PM
Episode 4 - HS

- - - -

Every time Kirari opens her mouth, I want to strangle somebody. I don't remember when I last time listened to an anime character with so absolutely annoying a speaking style. I guess I'll be skipping her lines from now on, whenever possible. I seriously can't stand her. It's a huge pity because Anzu is funny, and those two are unfortunately in the same scenes.

Ryllharu
Fri, 01-30-2015, 07:26 PM
I couldn't agree more. She sounds fake. Like it is all some disgusting act, that kind of revolting saccharine personality. I expect her type of voice to be a character from Grisaia, not some fluffy, feel good, vapid series like this. I'd expect this type of voice to be tied to a foreigner, like the Russian idol, overcompensating for her poor grasp on the language.

Since it is presumably real, she's just some horrible obnoxious airheaded ditz.

I also have the unfortunate issue of always hearing Kurome (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=character&charid=68840) when Uzuki speaks. I'll admit that it is making me hate Uzuki more than she deserves, but I find her character's unflappable perkiness (when not paired with the equivalent of Mio's energy) to be quite unrealistic as well.

edit:
I'm also somewhat offended by the notion that the company thinks that Kanako is fat. She's not even fat by Japanese standards. I'd struggle to even call her chubby, because she isn't.

Kraco
Sat, 01-31-2015, 04:21 AM
I'm also somewhat offended by the notion that the company thinks that Kanako is fat. She's not even fat by Japanese standards. I'd struggle to even call her chubby, because she isn't.

Even if she wasn't right now, it's better to try to avoid that future with preemptive measures rather than trying to fix it when it's already the reality. Just look at that basket she had. Instead of bringing a cookie for herself and her friends, she brought a whole load of different kinds of stuff. It was clear she would be happy eating it all, possibly skipping a real, nutritiously balanced meal. Worse yet, she's really intent on having the other girls taste the whole variety as well, not just a single small piece every now and then. In my uneducated opinion it would be better if such idol girls would need to go out of their way to buy sweets (like people normally do), rather than have somebody regularly bring lots of them and offer them for free.

Kraco
Fri, 02-06-2015, 06:23 PM
Episode 5 - HS

- -- - - -

HorribleSubs is living up to their name by skipping a few lines. Not that it would have really mattered.

I kept thinking, and had thought already before this ep, that the nya-girl is really annoying, disruptive, foolish, and selfish, but then I realised she's just a young idol wannabe girl, so it's fitting. Somebody should really tell her that challenging the other girls is utterly meaningless, though, as they won't be making any decisions, no matter who wins the matches. I guess somebody like Rin is actually more abnormal in those circles, at least as far as fiction goes. I don't know how robotic and obedient the real young idols girls in Japan are behind the scenes. Rin is clearly so talented she can pull it off without any extra passion, but many of the others would need to rev up to make it. That being said, Rin also seems like a person who would silently drop out of the business probably never looking back if she wasn't surrounded by the more spirited people. For the time being, at least. If she made a real career out of it, I have no doubt she would treat it like any other job and do her best.

No idea what sort of an idol Anzu is... Maybe she's used to advertise futons, beds, and such stuff?

Kraco
Sat, 02-14-2015, 04:46 PM
Episode 6 - HS

- -- --- - -

HorribleSubs is living up to their name by not only skipping lines but by having nonsense lines of random characters as well.

Mio was surprisingly quite a spoiled princess. Although I suppose her eagerness, overflowing motivation, and endless self-confidence were partly due to totally unrealistic expectations. Too bad Producer's robotic personality didn't allow him to quickly return her to the right tracks. Since Mika was right there, and Mio's twisted sense of reality can be largely connected to her misunderstanding born from Mika's success, it should have been easy indeed to use Mika to correct everything as well. But not for a robot, I suppose.

Although somebody slapping her cheek would have been fine as well. She totally forgot idols exist for the fans and depend on them. She got it backwards, that the fans would exist for the idols and she would be entitled to a big number simply because she considers herself so awesome.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 02-15-2015, 04:49 AM
While Mio has some serious problems, this was a mega-fail from Producer for not setting expectations correctly.
That performance was pretty bad. None of the 3 girls were even smiling for most of it.
I feel like we got cheated that we didn't even get their song, but I guess that worked better to show how bad they did.

Kraco
Sat, 02-21-2015, 06:05 AM
Episode 07 - HS

- - - -- -

It would really help the idol unit if Producer had at least the human psychological skills of a T-101. The story the geezer told was also so boring and meaningless that it was very realistic... But it's clear cowardice isn't the dude's biggest problem. It's his positronic brain. I liked Rin especially in this episode, how she was trying to hammer some sense into Producer's head.

This show has so many characters that most are rendered mere background noise, save for arbitrary and rare individual scenes. But I guess it doesn't matter since the adopted way of mainly concentrating on a few of them rather than trying to serve all of them seems to work well enough. The rest of the girls create a sense of realism by making it look like the main girls are just a part of a bigger whole.

Kraco
Sat, 03-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Episode 10 - HS

- - -- - --

What an idiotic episode. Listening to Kirari for a whole episode was torture comparable to what Kaneki went through in Tokyo Ghoul. Or maybe a centipede in the ear would have been preferable.

One more jab at the Japanese police by anime. They really go by the "all suspects are considered guilty, otherwise they wouldn't be suspects" in anime/manga.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-21-2015, 06:40 PM
All suspects of child molestation*

Japan is a country of paradox.

This was a horrible episode. Whoever voiced giant girl ought to be ashamed of herself.