View Full Version : Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de

KrayZ33
Fri, 11-28-2014, 10:34 AM
http://i.imgur.com/cdhPhkX.jpg

"Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de
Genre: Supernatural, Comedy
Production: Trigger
Director, Series Composition: Ootsuka Masahiko
Starring: Okamoto Nobuhiko, Yamazaki Haruka, Yamashita Nanami, Hayami Saori, Taneda Risa

Half a year ago, the four members of a literature club, as well as the elementary school niece of their faculty adviser, were bestowed with supernatural powers. The boy in the club, Ando Jurai, became able to produce black flames. The girls acquired a variety of powerful abilities: Tomoyo could slow, speed, or stop time, Hatoko could control the five elements (earth, water, fire, wind, light), little Chifuyu could create things, and Sayumi could repair objects or heal living things. However, since they gained these powers, nothing has really changed in their everyday life. Why have they been given these powers in the first place? Will the heroic fantasy life they imagined these powers would bring ever actually arrive? "

Source:Mangahelpers (https://mangahelpers.com/forum/showthread.php/2998414-Inou-Battle-wa-Nichijou-kei-no-Naka-de)

---------------------------------------------------

I thought I'd do this series justice and create a thread about it

It's a fun watch and if you follow /a/ or some other anime related imageboards/forums or what-not you probably did stumble upon a few threads about this show already, especially about episode 7. Not trying to jump on the hype-train etc. but well, that scene was a highlight in my opinion. I'm trying not to spoil anything but it really felt like "having chuunibyou" is actually something problematic for the first time I came across this word/syndrome.

In the end it won't result in being a problem. I'm sure of it - its not a Drama and most of all: because people would dislike that and it would sell bad, am I right Japan? But that aside... my heart warmed up a bit, if just for a few minutes though. The VA must've done a really great job to achieve that, well done *tips his hat*

It's better than that Kyoani Chuunibyou show if you ask me, but it depends on how everything turns out, because if I'm not mistaken, this show will only feature 12 episodes and nothing really happened until episode 7/8.
So its more of a Supernatural Slice of Life show up until now?

David75
Fri, 11-28-2014, 02:22 PM
Yeah, in retrospect that scene was an incredible piece of acting.
I was surprised by its length, but it is no doubt a little gem for anime fans.

Kraco
Fri, 11-28-2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah, it was quite a scene. Never seen one like it in anime before. The director and producers probably had to make sure the VA would be able to pull it off when they were filling the roles.

I definitely like this more than Chuunibyou. But then again, I couldn't even finish the second season of Chuunibyou because the first one was quite enough already. I guess I can't stomach such worlds inside characters' heads unless it's some kind of deeper insanity in a really good story, not just bloody teenagers' power fantasy in their struggle to adulthood and independence. The fact the powers are real in this show makes all the difference.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-28-2014, 04:48 PM
A similar scene can be found in Ef a tale of memories.

I find both of them brilliantly executed.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 11-28-2014, 06:45 PM
I've definitely been enjoying this show.
While not all of the character arcs have been super interesting, this Hatoko one is fantastic.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-02-2014, 05:44 AM
[HorribleSubs] Inou Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de - 09 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=629820)

---------------

Hatoko is just a pure-hearted bitch when you get down to it. She's exactly the type of girl who softly says confrontational, accusatory, or backhanded insults on the sly and then follows them up with, "What type of cake should I get?~"

She's been doing it throughout the series, but she certainly is much more aggressive about it after her little blowup. As much as she says she wants to understand what Andou is all about, she never really tries to understand him. She was asking Tomoyo, but didn't really seem to care what the answer was. She was more interested in why he does it, presumably so she can stop him from doing it. She's attracted to Andou, but doesn't want the parts of him that the other girls can overlook (or even secretly enjoy).

And despite Sayumi getting manipulated by Sagami (who I am guessing is actually F), she seems to be the best balance between keeping Andou grounded while still letting him be himself. Tomoyo, though obviously the heroine, seems like she'd ultimately let Andou indulge a bit too much, despite protesting it. She's certainly as big of a Chuunibyou as he is, but I guess I just don't see a relationship between her and Andou lasting for all that long.

Too bad for Chifuyu though. There's no way the other girls will wait 8 years for her to catch up. She fell for him super hard this episode, but there's just no way.

I do love that this series cuts out all the shonen type stuff, and skips to the part of the series that most shows skip to get back to shonen stuff. It's all interpersonal relationships, topped with superpowers icing.

Kraco
Tue, 12-02-2014, 01:55 PM
It seems a bit implausible to me that Hatoko really would love Andou so much. Sure, they share a long history and he saved her back when they kids, after a fashion, but considering he's been a chuuni forever and still continues to be, and she clearly doesn't like all that shit she doesn't understand and even doesn't want to, so how can she love him? It would be more understandable as a past love, back when she was a kid herself, because kids live one foot in a fantasy world, but not anymore. I reckon she still should keep sticking around as she possesses the real power now, but chasing Andou isn't right.

I would have no problems with Tomoyo+Andou. If Tomoyo got over her embarrassment, they would be like Isaac & Miria, and nothing's cooler than that! I would have no problems with Sayumi, either. She knows how to enjoy his foolishness, even if she puts a stop to it at some point.

Poor Chifuyu will get over it. Time heals the wounds.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-02-2014, 03:35 PM
That's why my view is that Hatoko is a bit of a possessive bitch.

She's been the closest girl to Andou for years, but since the other girls have gotten closer to him in the recent months and taken away her monopoly on his after-school attention, it is suddenly a problem. She was content just going home with him everyday, he was hers after all and they were closest, why, they're practically a family already! Then Andou started getting Tomoyo out of her shell and telling Hatoko that she didn't have to stay, and Hatoko started making more and more sly remarks.

I get the feeling that Hatoko expected he would grow out of his chuunibyou, and then when they all got superpowers and he had no need to, she eventually snapped. That his chuunibyou and their superpowers helped him get even closer to the other girls, especially Tomoyo (and he eventually got closer to her than Hatoko) made things even worse, and now she's about to abuse Tomoyo's inherent kindness to claim him from her through the, "I admitted it first, you should back down," shoujo plot cliché.

I don't have a problem with a Tomoyo+Andou pairing...it's certainly the best fit, I just think Sayumi would be a better balance. Sayumi just got the relationship death flag this episode anyway, so I guess it is a moot point.

Kraco
Tue, 12-02-2014, 04:30 PM
I get the feeling that Hatoko expected he would grow out of his chuunibyou, and then when they all got superpowers and he had no need to, she eventually snapped.

Right. I don't know why I didn't think of that, the simplest explanation. Probably because they had the powers already when the show started, so growing out wasn't an option from the beginning of the show. Thinking back to her monologue, it also reinforces the idea she was just letting his nonsense flow through her head without registering it all these years, waiting for him to stop eventually. She surely has been patient, up until now.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-02-2014, 05:23 PM
It'll be really bad when Hatoko finds out the reason he is still a chuunibyou after all these years instead of quitting in his 2nd year middle school was because of a silver wig and sunglasses girl referring to herself with archaic pronouns...who is very obviously Tomoyo.

KrayZ33
Fri, 12-05-2014, 06:37 PM
I'm very certain this show will give me "the feels" sooner or later
I don't want any of the girls to lose and this seems to go into a more dramatic direction than I thought.

I like Hatoko for what she does, she's aware that she is not the only one who likes Andou and is very honest with her feelings towards him. I can imagine how hard it is to have a rival in love who is also a very good friend... the fact that she is able to approach this and tries to take a stand is very brave of her.

It's pretty much a 'declaration of war', but that just proves how much she likes Andou.

The talk she had with Tomoyo also made clear how frustrating it must have been for her to spend these days with him.. especially right before she snapped. Andou is unreachable for her in his current state, it's so sad, she can't even do much about it.

and she clearly doesn't like all that shit she doesn't understand and even doesn't want to, so how can she love him?

What makes you think that she doesn't want to understand it? It's obvious that its the opposite, it's just impossible to understand. They call it a "syndrom" over there after all (even though it doesn't describe a mental disorder or medical condition).. you are not supposed to understand it, you just have to accept it, which she could if Andou allowed it - when Andou gave her the book she clearly said "I didn't like it, I tried to read it several times, but it teached me that people like different things and thats okay"

what Andou did however is close to ignoring her after that
"You wouldn't understand, don't bother"
"Nah, it would be boring for you, let's not waste time talking about it"
These words must've hurt her alot, which is understandable considering how Andou acted and treated her right before she snapped.

David75
Sat, 12-06-2014, 12:55 AM
After all, she memorized all that nonsense and was able to cite many of those words she doesn't understand.
It really takes attention and dedication to memorize things you don't understand or even don't like.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 12:59 AM
Wanting to and being forced to are different things.

Have you considered how Andou felt after his world could not be understood? Tomoyo's complaint is paltry compared to that. She felt that she was "correct" and in the majority, while Andou knew he was niche, yet a close friend simply could not understand him and said as much.

In the end, the gravity dude has it right. Tomoyo felt guilty from being unable to understand Andou and lashed out.

Kraco
Sat, 12-06-2014, 05:02 AM
Hatoko is mentally challenged if she can't understand enough to accept the way Andou is. It's no fricking quantum physics. Sure, some people are basically lacking imagination so utterly that they only enjoy reading biographies and wouldn't touch even a detective story, let alone a fantasy novel, but if she truly loved Andou, she would have forced herself to understand it intellectually, even if she never could feel it. However, it seems to me she only checked out his world in order to be able to refuse it. Though not aloud until now when she suddenly realised she has competition and can't afford to leave Andou to grow out of his fantasies naturally. Not that he would anymore with the concrete powers.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 05:18 AM
Have you considered how Andou felt after his world could not be understood?

I don't know, it's a decision to be chuuni, he even said so himself that he was about to quit that bs... but for some reason didn't want to after he met Tomoyo in the past. It's not like he lives in a different world. We see him going in and out of it every few minutes in every episode. The most recent example would be when he claimed he had no emotions and Chifuyu asked whether he likes him or not.
It's more of a passion for him and nothing else. He likes edgy and dark stuff.... just like some people love reading LotR or are Sports maniacs
Then there is Tomoyo's brother, who said that Chuunis don't want to be understood, because if everyone accepts them, they wouldn't be chuuni anymore.
At this moment, especially with the "book returning scene" in mind, it feels like Andou is acting like a douche whenever there is someone he wants to - but doesn't - share his passion.

but if she truly loved Andou, she would have forced herself to understand it intellectually, even if she never could feel it.

That was what she did and Andou kept telling her "I guess if you can't *UNDERSTAND* it, it can't be helped"
Hatako got angry because he excludes her, not because he is a chuuni...

Kraco
Sat, 12-06-2014, 06:29 AM
That was what she did and Andou kept telling her "I guess if you can't *UNDERSTAND* it, it can't be helped"
Hatako got angry because he excludes her, not because he is a chuuni...

Understanding it in this case doesn't mean the kind of understanding a psychiatrist gives a patient. She should have understood it like a kindergarten teacher understands the kids, plays along, and encourages them. Instead it seems to me Hatoko tried to understand why Andou is so weird, which is fruitless. In fact I think the author made her far too stiff. It was best exemplified by the scene where she asked why Andou uses negative adjectives to describe himself and his powers. She gets better test scores than Andou but knows absolutely nothing about people.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-06-2014, 07:05 AM
At this moment, especially with the "book returning scene" in mind, it feels like Andou is acting like a douche whenever there is someone he wants to - but doesn't - share his passion.
I find it amazing that you sympathize with Hatoko in that scene and not Andou.

It hurts when you talk passionately about one of your interests and the person responds, "I don't understand how you like that stuff, let's talk about what I like instead."

Andou acted correctly by stopping. If he had continued to press the books, comics, and other things on Hatoko, he would have been forcing his own interests on her. We know from the series prior to that point that Andou isn't that kind of person. He never forces someone to do something they don't want to, he encourages them to embrace their interests that others might think are weird. He wants people around him to be happy. He's a big proponent of doing what you love, despite what others think about you. Hatoko on the other hand, only pretends to smile about the things Andou likes because she likes him, not his interests.

Hatoko made it clear she wasn't into the things he was into, so he stopped pestering her about it. It would have been unfair to her. Andou is very perceptive, and noticed that Hatoko didn't care about the book. Hatoko lost it when Andou started to find other girls who do share his interests.

He was opposed to Kuki trying to get Chifuyu to stop hanging out with them, and got them to understand each other a little more.

In contrast, Hatoko doesn't want to understand him, she wants him to change.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 08:46 AM
I find it amazing that you sympathize with Hatoko in that scene and not Andou.

Because Hatoko was polite and Andou behaved like a brat after that?
The way he treated her when he himself asked her to do dinner for him speaks of its own.

It hurts when you talk passionately about one of your interests and the person responds, "I don't understand how you like that stuff, let's talk about what I like instead."

But she didn't say that...her answer was the correct one to actually *not* hurt his feelings
She said something along the lines of "It's difficult for me to read this, its your thing - not mine. But thats okay, everyone likes different stuff"
Andou however was so butthurt after this that he shoo's her away even now, several year later... he doesn't even want her to listen to him talking about his chuuni stuff. It doesn't even feel the slightest like he is holding back for her sake.
(Ep7 proves this)

Andou acted correctly by stopping. If he had continued to press the books, comics, and other things on Hatoko, he would have been forcing his own interests on her. We know from the series prior to that point that Andou isn't that kind of person. He never forces someone to do something they don't want to

That's why he pretty much forced (well not really forced but "bother) everyone to participate in his nick-name brainstorming event no one really cared about? The Cosplay Event too? So far, Chifuyu is the only one who is truly okay with him being the way he is.

He's a big proponent of doing what you love, despite what others think about you. Hatoko on the other hand, only pretends to smile about the things Andou likes because she likes him, not his interests.

What's the problem with not liking everything someone else likes? Is it impossible to feel love for someone who doesn't watch or like Anime the way I do?

In contrast, Hatoko doesn't want to understand him, she wants him to change.

that's what *you* think she wants, she never said anything like that. In fact she says the opposite all the time...

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 09:37 AM
I think you over read Andou's reaction to Hatoko. He wasn't being a douche to her because his character isn't like that. None of his other actions so far suggest that he was doing it to intentionally exclude Hatoko. Ryll's analysis is more consistent with what we have seen of Andou's behavior. He simply did not want to force Hatoko to hear about his stories. He said so himself when he went depressed after Hatoko disappeared. His worry wasn't "Oh crap, I excluded her," but "She hates listening to the stuff I keep saying and wasn't happy being with me." This isn't inference. He actually said it when he was confronted by the other girls. It was completely off base and got him slapped though.

I think I understand why Krayz is misinterpreting episode 7. The scenes when Andou appeared to be excluding Hatoko were clearly depicted from her perspective. It was exaggerated because that is how Hatoko saw them, not necessarily because that's how it was actually delivered or sounded like. The cold tone in Andou's voice was completely unlike him. This was probably done on intention in order to justify Hatoko's breakdown. It is also possible that he seemed that cold because he was too comfortable with Hatoko, similar to how you don't really watch your tone and language as much with close friends and family.

I do disagree with Hatoko wanting him to change. She probably does want to understand him, but can't and feels frustrated and guilty from being unable to do so. Again, this was explicitly mentioned.

Kraco
Sat, 12-06-2014, 09:47 AM
So far, Chifuyu is the only one who is truly okay with him being the way he is.

Not true. Chifuyu is okay with it, since she's a kid herself. Tomoyo, however, needs him to be like that. Because it drives her novel writing dreams forward, and she doesn't herself have the guts to do it, and probably it wouldn't be quite the same if she tried to act as her own inspiration. Not to mention he can give her expert feedback.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 09:53 AM
And Tomoyo is a tsundere, and we all know what that means.

"Don't misunderstand! It's not like I like your chuuni personality or anything!!!"

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 10:59 AM
Yet she is the one who complains about his chuuni stuff the most.

Yes, I know she is being tsundere... but that's a lame excuse

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Lame excuse for what? What her being tsundere means (which in fact she is, obviously) that she doesn't mind or even likes Andou being chuuni. This directly contradicts your statement that only Chifuyu is fine with it.

Kraco
Sat, 12-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Yet she is the one who complains about his chuuni stuff the most.

Yes, I know she is being tsundere... but that's a lame excuse

She complains about it because she doesn't anymore have the courage, or should I say she's too decent a member of the society already, to do it herself. Obviously she needs the mentality still more than most because she's attempting to write and sell light novels concentrating around that stuff. It's the same as being a tsundere: She can't be true to her feeling nor admit them. At some level she does desire to make a boyfriend out of Andou, and I doubt she would anymore want to go on dates with a publicly open chuuni even if she secretly enjoys and needs that side of him in privacy. It's an unsolvable internal conflict for her.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 11:51 AM
Lame excuse for what?
While being tsundere is cute for the viewer, its basically being an ass most of the time towards someone if it would happen in reallife.

You could argue she is the strongest anti-chuuni voice in their group in Andou's point of view, at least prior to him catching her offguard

At some level she does desire to make a boyfriend out of Andou, and I doubt she would anymore want to go on dates with a publicly open chuuni even if she secretly enjoys and needs that side of him in privacy. It's an unsolvable internal conflict for her.

thats exactly what I meant, she would "deny" him or it (that chuuni-thing) any time.
So you can't say she "accepts it" either.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 01:05 PM
It's blatant that Tomoyo likes Andou including his chuuni aspect. She's just a tsundere. It isn't all that complicated.

You may dislike tsunderes, but that doesn't change the fact that Chifuyu isn't the only one fine with his behavior. It doesn't matter whose perspective it is or how you feel about it. It's fact.

Someone who isn't fine with it isn't gonna do a combined move pose with him (with such vigor, too) no matter what.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 02:24 PM
I don't dislike tsunderes, I don't dislike Tomoyo either and yes, she's fine with him being chuuni secretly, but if his chuuni gets loose in public, she can't handle nor bear it.
I don't know how anyone could consider that "being fine with it".

As I said, being tsundere is a lame excuse, she isn't purely tsun because she doesn't want Andou to know she likes him, but also because she is scared of how other see her if she goes out with a chuuni-nerd.

Kraco
Sat, 12-06-2014, 02:46 PM
she's fine with him being chuuni secretly, but if his chuuni gets loose in public, she can't handle nor bear it.
I don't know how anyone could consider that "being fine with it".

What sort of world do you live in? Everybody has secrets, big or small, that they don't go around advertising but still live full lives and have all sorts of friends and acquaintances. You know, don't tell, don't ask and everything. Being a high schooler chuuni must be worse than being an otaku, and not nearly all otaku walk around wearing imouto shirts in public places. She can be perfectly okay with his chuuniness but still not want to be included in public chuunibyou performances. It's not such a black and white thing, few things are in life.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 03:30 PM
Once you start quoting words, you know it has already devolved into a semantic argument. I have no idea what you are thinking about "being fine with it," but in the context of the discussion, I would say it means not disliking it. For comparison, Hatoko is not fine with it because it doesn't make sense to her. Then she goes on a rampage lambasting a friend's hobby, one he is very passionate about.

If a friend suddenly burst out and started ranting to me about how LNs and anime are for children and VNs are glorified porn just because I stopped telling them about something they have absolutely no real interest in, I'd probably hit him/her in the face.

I would actually venture out and say that only Hatoko has real problems with Andou's chuuni. The others may complain outwardly, but they seem to be perfectly fine going along with his schemes and activities. This is fiction after all, so it was merely the writer's choice that Hatoko was given this distasteful role, while the others have their own issues.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 06:34 PM
Everyone complains about him being a chuuni and if they really mean it or not is not really relevant for me.

In that regard I'd like to go back to post #18

Just ignore the

So far, Chifuyu is the only one who is truly okay with him being the way he is.
part if you disagree with it, I still stand for that line though, because so far even Tomoyo prefers Andou without his excessive chuunism in my opinion

I think I understand why Krayz is misinterpreting episode 7. The scenes when Andou appeared to be excluding Hatoko were clearly depicted from her perspective. It was exaggerated because that is how Hatoko saw them, not necessarily because that's how it was actually delivered or sounded like.

That's just unfair... I don't know.
At the same time, people compare Hatoko to a possessive bitch (even if they don't mean it as harsh as it sounds) just because she felt hurt and frustrated since someone very close excludes her by not sharing anything, even though all she ever said to that person was along the lines: "I don't like it as much as you do" when he started doing so
But its a misintepretation if I call out exactly what was shown and actually happened?

Sure, if you (Andou) are passionate about it you might feel disappointed, but that's no reason to totally avoid ever talking about these things again, especially if asked to share it with you. It's not only very impolite, but also *hurts*. Just imagine your wife/friend/girlfriend complains about how you don't show any interest in her hobby and when you do, she tells you to stop trying because you wouldn't like it anyway nor would you understand why she likes it. (which could also be understood as saying you wouldn't understand her)

If a friend suddenly burst out and started ranting to me about how LNs and anime are for children and VNs are glorified porn just because I stopped telling them about something they have absolutely no real interest in, I'd probably hit him/her in the face.

Since we are exaggerating: If a friend asks me to go away because he's about to talk about a topic I don't care/understand much about, so I can prepare dinner for him and goes all "stop bothering me already" while typing on his phone when I ask him to explain what this was all about, I'd spit in his face and leave the place immediatly, never turning back.

Yes, we know Andou is not like that because we see things Hatoko doesn't even has the chance to. We know Andou doesn't want to hurt a childhood friend like that, especially not someone like her.

But I don't believe it was the first time Andou acted like that towards her, she remembered the "book returning scene" because that's what started it and not because it was the only other time he did something like that.

Would you do 'the Andou' just because someone told you they don't like something as much as you do? Hatoko didn't even judge him for liking what he likes...
And its also worth noting that her complains where about him not telling her anything, excluding and providing poor explanation. You don't think sentences like "Talk to me in your own words! I beg you speak so I can understand you" and "If you teach me, teach me right" were said for no reason, do you? (Still kinda hurts me that this was said at the exact moment when she stopped "just" being angry and started crying)

He is dissapointed that Hatoko doesn't like it as much as himself, yet he doesn't really try to convince her either, blames (yes, that's what he *did* even if he probably didn't mean it that way, given his kind-hearted and honest nature) her for not understanding it. (the word is understanding, not "not liking it"). That is actually a huge difference, especially if told by someone you like as much as Hatoko does.
It could (we don't know that though) have been okay if Andou said "Ah, I guess you don't like it. Well, that's just how it goes". And that sentence wasn't said just once but three times in only one episode. You can't understand. You wouldn't understand. You don't understand.

F** it, why would someone say that to a friend?

edit: done with editing, oh my god, wall of text no one reads because it's written by me

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 08:12 PM
You do understand that Andou has been talking about his hobby to Hatoko for years before he stopped right?

Andou didn't stop talking about chuuni to Hatoko because he felt disappointed (though of course, he was disappointed). The main reason was because he thought she didn't enjoy listening to it and could not understand it anyway (which was perfectly true). He said so himself. We should stop over analyzing the situation.

I didn't exaggerate with my example. Hatoko basically said that his hobbies didn't make sense to her and rejected them. "Talk to me in your own words?" What the hell does that even mean? Did she actually just demand Andou to act in way that she wants instead of how he normally does and wants to? "If you teach me, teach me right?" Did she just demand Andou to teach her something he has absolutely no obligation to (and reason to because she doesn't even understand or care about chuuni, but only likes Andou)? Google it, Hatoko. Chuunibyou (中二病) isn't that long a word.

And really? If a friend does to you what Andou did to Hatoko you would spit in their face? You'll lose friends man. He wasn't even as rude as a moody friend on a bad day.

Face it, his actions didn't warrant an outburst. The only reason Hatoko reacted like that was because she bottled it up for ages and reacted to the recent influx of rivals. That's not Andou's fault. It was her choice.

I guess my basic question would be, why do you think Hatoko is so entitled? I can't help but see how much bias you are placing on Hatoko's side. Why does Andou need to accommodate her? Teach her anything? Tell her anything? It's his own prerogative who he talks to about certain things.

You seem to be bringing up the issue of making dinner a lot, but you do know that she could have refused if she wanted?

Try looking at this more objectively. Andou behaved relatively normally. He might have been a little cold and unlike himself, but people do that often even in real life. Hatoko's outburst is completely abnormal. Shouting at your friend like that, ranting about stuff he had no idea about, and complaining about things she could have settled herself long before is not normal or good behavior. In fact, the only reason we are even talking about this was because of how odd that outburst was.

I'm actually surprised Andou didn't get hurt and prioritized finding Hatoko (even if his understanding of the reason of her anger was off base). He's a pretty good MC.

EDIT: Just to be clear, I'm not saying Andou is blameless. He should've been more perceptive and caught on to this issue long before, but he failed at that. If Hatoko had talked to him in a less psychotic way about her complaints, I would have definitely taken her side. It might be personal bias, but I don't respond well to people shouting at me and blaming me all of a sudden. I imagine a majority of people share my opinion.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 08:56 PM
And really? If a friend does to you what Andou did to Hatoko you would spit in their face? You'll lose friends man. He wasn't even as rude as a moody friend on a bad day.

Bullshit, that's comming from the guy who would punch people's faces because they shout at them...

I didn't exaggerate with my example.

Yes you clearly did.

You seem to be bringing up the issue of making dinner a lot, but you do know that she could have refused if she wanted?

I don't know, maybe because I have proper manners in that regard. Just a wild guess though

I guess my basic question would be, why do you think Hatoko is so entitled? I can't help but see how much bias you are placing on Hatoko's side. Why does Andou need to accommodate her? Teach her anything? Tell her anything? It's his own prerogative who he talks to about certain things.

Because they are friends? Isn't that reason enough to act properly? Do you only speak to your friends if *you* feel like it? Only take, never give?

Try looking at this more objectively. Andou behaved relatively normally. He might have been a little cold and unlike himself, but people do that often even in real life. Hatoko's outburst is completely abnormal. Shouting at your friend like that, ranting about stuff he had no idea about, and complaining about things she could have settled herself long before is not normal or good behavior. In fact, the only reason we are even talking about this was because of how odd that outburst was.

I am looking at this objectively, he was being a jerk... there is no way around it. Yes, Hatoko was super mad, because as you already mentioned, things bottled up. What gave her frustation voice though was in fact Andou acting like a douche. That outburst was "abnormal" that's the essence of it, no one is denying that... However its perfectly easy to understand why it happened

Sure, she could've done nothing, dig everything in again and not care at all... but that would've made her an idiot. That's not even how a normal person would react.

Ryllharu
Sat, 12-06-2014, 08:58 PM
Google it, Hatoko. Chuunibyou (中二病) isn't that long a word.
In Hatoko's defense, she seemed to have considerable difficulty with chuunibyou type words, before (when she gave him back the book) and continuing through the present (her explosive rant). She's really confused by the kanji and bizarre readings attached to them.

@KrayZ33: Chill the fuck out. You are taking this way too personally for whatever reason.

KrayZ33
Sat, 12-06-2014, 09:16 PM
Because people ask me why I think the way I do?

I'm just amazed at how people look at things
Just like you guys seem to be about how I look at them

In my opinion Hatoko's current situation is the same as Andou's was in the past, but in reverse. The difference is/was how each of them handled it.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 12-06-2014, 09:41 PM
@Ryll - The terms are confusing if you actually want to emulate chuuni, but the wiki explanation is definitely not.

@Krayz - I think Ryll is referring to the amount of emotion you put into your words.

I wasn't exaggerating when I said I would punch someone if he/she shouts and blames me all of a sudden. I'm not saying everyone else would do so. That's just me. That said, I am absolutely certain none of my friends would ever shout at me, demand stuff from me, and reject my interests like that.

Give and take doesn't extend to being able to demand information from people. People have the right to share what they want to who they want. Even spouses keep secrets from each other.

My suggested action for Hatoko had nothing to do with enduring it and doing nothing. I have no idea where you got that. I clearly implied that the best course of action would be for her to confront Andou way before she got this fed up. If she had simply talked to him in a civilized manner (because he is her friend) instead of waiting until she burst, it would've been fine.

In any case, the arguments are spent IMO. Let's agree to disagree.

Kraco
Sun, 12-07-2014, 03:33 AM
According to the master chuuni Kiryuu Hajime, the chuunibyou affected need also people who don't understand them. We could thus deduce Hatoko not understanding a shit Andou was talking about might not have been such a big deal for Andou himself. It only became a deal of any sort after that outburst and Hatoko disappearing. This might explain why he put no effort in trying to teach Hatoko. He could have even been enjoying the feeling of appearing unexplainable in a friend's eyes, especially since he clearly had no idea Hatoko was in love with him and was suffering because she couldn't get a thing out of his nonsense.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 12-07-2014, 06:52 AM
Indeed. That's probably the reason why he failed to notice the stress Hatoko was under. To him, not telling Hatoko about his delusions might have been for both of their sakes.

Kraco
Tue, 12-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Episode 10 - HS

- - - - - -

I don't think anybody can say after this episode that Andou would be a rude and uncaring fellow. In fact I found him acting too saintly for somebody whose right hand is holding a cursed power, or whatever it was. I have to admit I enjoyed this episode quite a lot. I've always liked series where a weird/random dude has to take care of a young girl (in an unromantic manner, of course, I don't care for older dudes loving lolis).

I could swear I've seen the Animal Quiz host in some other show or two before. I wonder if it's some Japanese caricature archetype for the hosts of such shows on TV.

Ryllharu
Tue, 12-09-2014, 08:32 PM
While Andou getting Cookie to fall for him too was fun (and revealing his true motive to her later, the real meat of this episode was with Sayumi.

Andou is insightful enough, or at the least knows his friends well enough, to capture on the fact that Sayumi being her amazing self...wasn't in fact her being her usual amazing self. He caught on to the fact that she was acting differently. I certainly didn't notice anything particularly out of character with her, but Andou did.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 12-09-2014, 08:52 PM
Sayumi = legal wife.
Chifuyu = incest imouto.
Cookie = extra imouto (can't have enough)

Everyone else = meh.

KrayZ33
Wed, 12-24-2014, 06:37 AM
Ep 12

------------------

This show ended right when it was about to start. I liked it very much... a shame they use Anime only to boost LN sales nowadays.
I hope this will get a 2nd season someday.

Ryllharu
Wed, 12-24-2014, 08:40 AM
This show ended right when it was about to start.
I get the feeling you didn't understand what makes this series really great.

They cut out as much of the action as possible because it isn't about the little Fairy War at all.

It's about the "unfairly powerful" Virgin Child/Andou's Group (edit: Plus Kudou) proceeding with their ordinary lives while all this shit is going on that they are miraculously ignorant of. Granted, one of the other most powerful people is protecting his little sister until the end, but the fact that their group doesn't even bother to figure out why they have these superpowers is why this series stands out in a sea of LNs with similar premises, but are bland generic shit.

This show ended exactly where it should have. What makes it great is that it shows you none of the cliché LN stuff, and instead shows all the in-between stuff that is normally skipped.

KrayZ33
Wed, 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Nah, why introduce supernatural stuff if you skip it in the end.
It's meant to keep this show interesting and going. Why introduce several side characters, villain groups and even the war and rules itself.
Without it, its just another school - slice of life show with a harem ending (that means nothing was resolved in the end)
and shows/LN like SNAFU do a better job in that regard in my opinion

This show ended exactly where it should have. What makes it great is that it shows you none of the cliché LN stuff, and instead shows all the in-between stuff that is normally skipped.

I don't know, this show had clichès happening left and right, all the time. This in-between stuff is normally not skipped either.. in fact, isn't that pretty normal in anime? Having a rival in love, conflicted feelings, not wanting things to change, "MC has to choose me", Beach episode, Pool episodes, dates that are not considered dates, everyone falls in love with MC, MC is weirdo but a very nice guy and reliable etc. etc.

I don't believe anyone seriously believes it was a good idea to end this show here because the group finally understood that they love Andou and can continue their life with that in mind, it ended here because it is the perfect cliffhanger. The girls will begin to chase Andou even more, they are no longer oblivious about the "Fairy War" and might have to act now. To sum it up... "if you want to know what will happen to the cute girls you grew to like so much, please buy the LN"

I'm not saying it's "unfair" or "they've no right to do that"... it's just one of the reasons why I prefer shows like Aldnoah Zero. I *might* be able to see a proper ending and conclusion but its rather unlikely for LN shows nowadays (or always was-)..

shinta|hikari
Wed, 12-24-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm with Ryll on this one. The title itself suggests that the intention of the show was to have a slice-of-life story with the supernatural powers in the background. Usually, it is the romance and comedy that takes the background while the battles are the main point.

The anime can and will serve as advertising for the LN, but that doesn't mean the story that the anime told was intended for that. Keep in mind that the books existed with the same story way before it became an anime. It was already a slice-of-life story with random powers from the start, not because the anime creators wanted it to be so for advertising. As to why it ended at this point, one word: budget.

If you want the shounen supernatural battle stuff, you will get tons of those in the coming season. We have 4 of those coming in, which somewhat indicates how cookie cutter they are.

This show was a breath of fresh air because it added twists to the usual tropes and made the powers something ridiculously secondary. It will probably go in a different route in the LN eventually when the fairy war and the like are expounded on, but who knows. In the end, it will be a matter of preference. Someone who likes action more would prefer that. I personally want less fighting and more Juurai being cool as a chuuni (and moar Sayumi).