PDA

View Full Version : Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-16-2014, 10:58 PM

Piano prodigy Arima Kosei dominated the competition and all child musicians knew his name. But after his mother, who was also his instructor, passed away, he had a mental breakdown while performing at a recital that resulted in him no longer being able to hear the sound of his piano even though his hearing was perfectly fine. Even two years later, Kosei hasn't touched the piano and views the world in monotone, and without any flair or color. He was content at living out his life with his good friends Tsubaki and Watari until, one day, a girl changed everything. Miyazono Kaori is a pretty, free spirited violinist whose playing style reflects her personality. Kaori helps Kosei return to the music world and show that it should be free and mold breaking unlike the structured and rigid style Kosei was used to. -myanimelist

Episode 1 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=607411)

Episode 2 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=610379)

Fantastic adaptation. Scratch that. Fantastic show. The 2nd episode made me bawl. This is definitely not for drama haters. Kaori's music was also great. Music stories are always better with actual music. This did not disappoint.

Kraco
Mon, 10-20-2014, 10:47 AM
This is definitely not for drama haters.

I hope that doesn't mean there's going to be a heavy polygon. I think I'd enjoy this show a lot, but I'm not really a fan of complicated and stretched love rivalries.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-20-2014, 05:10 PM
The rivalries are pretty simple. The drama is half about music and the protagonist.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 10-20-2014, 09:29 PM
That was pretty epic violin playing.

I don't really understand the MC's friend. What exactly is his relationship to this girl?

Childhood friend is playing a dangerous game. She likes the MC, but wants him to overcome his trauma and play piano again, so she is introducing him to this girl that he is sure to become infatuated with.

Kraco
Tue, 10-21-2014, 02:13 AM
I don't really understand the MC's friend. What exactly is his relationship to this girl?

He's a huge womanizer, plain and simple. He'll take all cute girls interested in him (and there seem to be plenty). Actually I think that's jolly good because under such circumstances it shouldn't be so bad for him when the MC "steals" the violin girl away from him.

Childhood friend is playing a dangerous game. She likes the MC, but wants him to overcome his trauma and play piano again, so she is introducing him to this girl that he is sure to become infatuated with.

She's playing such a losing game. Though I'm not altogether sure how well she has played the game at all. It's like she only loves the piano playing MC, the one not playing is nothing but a neighbourhood friend. Basically, she has wasted a lot of time and made the MC get used to her as a childhood friend, not a member of the opposite sex.

David75
Tue, 10-21-2014, 12:13 PM
It was weird how the stranger violinists didn't get animated while playing, and the heroïne was...
I certainly get why someone who already know the story would get emotional at that moment, because the progression is really well made/crafted to get people interested emotional. Without prior knowledge of the story, I was not far from shedding a tear...

Nice watch, for sure.

Kraco
Thu, 10-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Episode 4 - HS (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=617229)

- -- - - - - -

That was an interesting performance. It's no wonder the general audience applauded so much, despite the huge mess. They had listened to regular performances multiple times before, but now they suddenly got so much suspense, weirdness, comedy, but also good music. If anybody had been almost sleeping before Arima and Kaori, they surely did fully wake up. The best part was no doubt how they turned into a contest instead of the performer and her accompanist.

Arima really has issues, though. It's kind of weird how he was on his mother's side so much in the past, but now the ghost of that same mother prevents him from playing, even though he obviously doesn't hate music. You'd think the ghost made him play all the more and all the better, but I guess the human mind isn't that simple. Kaori has a lot of work ahead of her if she intends to beat the ghost out of him, that's for sure. She'd be quite strange to want to, after this fiasco, but then again, this is fiction and she is strange.

fireheart
Fri, 10-31-2014, 03:23 PM
I'm not sure if I like the show or not, there's plenty to like but there's also a bunch of things I don't like, mostly the way Arima is treated. Obvious he needs something to get moving again but I don't like the way they go about it. If you break down the things they have done so far to make him play in this contest they've broken into his house plastering papers all over the place, filled his shoebox and the music room with tons of paper he has to clean up, stalked him around telling him what to do, beat him up several times and completely ignored anything he says while forcing their ideas on him. Sure some of these things are there for comedy but I hardly see how shoving all that down his throat that he has to accompany her and then beating him up the moment they find him is comical. It just rubs me the wrong way and Kaori doesn't really help with her constantly calling him friend a despite the fact she's know his name for several years already. Add how Tsubaki also emphasized it early it's almost as if they're denying him his existence like it's not even worth calling him by his name.

Obviously lots of this is taken out of proportion and I'm overreacting to an otherwise sweet and enjoyable show but when you break down the things they've been doing it's far too close to bullying for my taste. Just change all his friends into bullies that are having "fun" with him and there wouldn't really be any difference in the events, at least not the things I mentioned hence why I don't like the way they've gone about it. For the record it's probably the comedic scenes where they keep beating him up that leaves an bad impression on me and it paints all the other things they do as shitty things.

Kraco
Fri, 10-31-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm okay with them treating him poorly as long as he doesn't play. But when he starts playing, they should stop and treat him with respect. Although whenever he sees the mother's ghost, it should be beaten out of him. I reckon if they hadn't been at least this forceful, he would have never even tried to play again seriously.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-31-2014, 06:23 PM
What Kraco said. He was dead inside until they forcefully dragged him back to life. Did you see his genuine smile as he competed with Kaori? That's the result of all that "bad treatment."

I do agree with you that the comedic scenes feel a bit forced, especially the beat me ups. This story can stand plenty easily without them. The blood joke is a little funny, though.

fireheart
Fri, 10-31-2014, 09:37 PM
@Kraco so just because he doesn't play it's ok to treat him poorly? I don't see in any way how that's justified, he'll survive without the piano it's not a must in his life. He'll probably feel better etc but his life would in no way end if he didn't pursue music on a serious level compared to not playing the piano. If everything that's been depicted happened in reality those friends would have put him in the hospital several times for not doing what they wanted. So why is it okay? Also treating him poorly has shown to be next to or completely inefficient so far. Forceful might help but treating someone poorly is to me never the answer.

@Shinta you talked about the results, I talked about if you break down their actions and look at them that they're dangerously close to bullying, results doesn't absolve that or take it away. But I'd probably be completely fine with all of this if they didn't include all the beatings, the blood thing just makes it worse since it makes them look like they don't care if they hurt him to that point. Again I realize my reaction is over the top and it's for comedy but I don't see the humor in kicking a guy that's already down and suffering from a trauma, especially not a show that seems to go for warm feelings. The contrast is just weird for me and like you said the show doesn't even need them.

Also if we look at the results, nothing they did moved him nor did any of those things I mentioned make him play the piano, they might have stirred something but none of it would have made him take that final step. The only thing that moved him was when Kaori made an honest plea for help. So is that smile and him playing a result of the "bad treatment"? My answer is no, it's a result from that honest plea and his willingness to be there for someone going through something that he has experienced. If you really think it's because of what I found to be bad treatment I'd really like to know how because the only thing I could think of was knowledge of the score.

http://youtu.be/gPPp3zWogfI?t=11m2s an extreme version but kinda illustrates what I mean. Warning the segment is kinda long and might be a bit graphic and uncomfortable or something else that I missed. It's about a guy who had/has a habit to bite his nails so to make him stop his friend starts biting his friends nail and doing all kinds of things to it and messed it up quite bad/sandpaper/smashing it/digging it out with a toothpick in order to make him stop biting his nails. It's ok though because they're friends and he's only doing it to help him. Again it's an extreme example but that's how they come off to me because of the beatings and it kinda ruins it for me which feels like such a shame because I'd probably love the show otherwise.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 10-31-2014, 10:16 PM
I guess all I can say is that the blood isn't really blood. It's just imagery used as a joke. It was like that since episode 1 where all the blood magically disappeared.

Kraco
Sat, 11-01-2014, 03:05 AM
@Kraco so just because he doesn't play it's ok to treat him poorly? I don't see in any way how that's justified, he'll survive without the piano it's not a must in his life. He'll probably feel better etc but his life would in no way end if he didn't pursue music on a serious level compared to not playing the piano. If everything that's been depicted happened in reality those friends would have put him in the hospital several times for not doing what they wanted. So why is it okay?

Come on, this almost makes it sound like this is the first anime (or even a cartoon) that you have ever watched. Blood is flowing all the time in anime, whereas in a similarly themed live action we would never see it. All manner of bruises and hitting as well. Don't ask me why it okay and why it works also for most people who don't really derive enjoyment from violence and gore, but it generally does, otherwise it wouldn't be there.

Also if we look at the results, nothing they did moved him nor did any of those things I mentioned make him play the piano, they might have stirred something but none of it would have made him take that final step. The only thing that moved him was when Kaori made an honest plea for help.

Yeah, right. Kind of like at a car manufacturing plant the car won't be a car before the last man on the line attachs the windshield wipers. If he forgets a wiper, the thing that's not a car is sent straight to crushing and recycling, right? Because only the very last step ever matters. A war is win by the last soldier who pulls the trigger before the politicians sign the papers for a cease fire. All the other thousands of men dying before the last soldier don't matter at all and died for nothing. Quite a fine logic.

In this specific case Arima wouldn't even have been there at the concert hall without all the earlier, forceful steps. He wouldn't have studied the score, either, nor listened to the composition played until he couldn't have forgotten it anymore.

fireheart
Sat, 11-01-2014, 10:42 AM
I guess all I can say is that the blood isn't really blood. It's just imagery used as a joke. It was like that since episode 1 where all the blood magically disappeared.

Yeah I know all this... I just wish the comedic scenes didn't ruin it as much as it does for me. Would have loved this show otherwise.

Come on, this almost makes it sound like this is the first anime (or even a cartoon) that you have ever watched. Blood is flowing all the time in anime, whereas in a similarly themed live action we would never see it. All manner of bruises and hitting as well. Don't ask me why it okay and why it works also for most people who don't really derive enjoyment from violence and gore, but it generally does, otherwise it wouldn't be there.

No but I don't remember watching an anime with this kind of setting and art that insert bloody beatings of the main character. This isn't a MC getting beat up for walking into the bath and accidentally peeking on girls, this isn't a tsundere beating her "dog". Put it into another way it's like Usagi Drop had someone in the story beat Daikichi bloody in every episode for comic relief, it ruins the setting and this show would have been awesome if it didn't do that for me.

Yeah, right. Kind of like at a car manufacturing plant the car won't be a car before the last man on the line attachs the windshield wipers. If he forgets a wiper, the thing that's not a car is sent straight to crushing and recycling, right? Because only the very last step ever matters. A war is win by the last soldier who pulls the trigger before the politicians sign the papers for a cease fire. All the other thousands of men dying before the last soldier don't matter at all and died for nothing. Quite a fine logic.

In this specific case Arima wouldn't even have been there at the concert hall without all the earlier, forceful steps. He wouldn't have studied the score, either, nor listened to the composition played until he couldn't have forgotten it anymore.

Do I detect some backhanded ad hominem there? And does it have to be logical? Because this is what the show is making me feel and I don't find every emotion to be logical, sure maybe if you go deep enough and dissect every possible reason for it. If you want to point to faults in why I don't like this show point to them instead of making examples and claiming that's my opinion.

I don't find any of your examples as accurate but in this very case with Arima I truly believe that if we reverse the order and Kaori did that honest pitch to him at the beginning he would have said yes. So do I find the way they treated him as necessary? No I don't.

Also I've already acknowledged that he learnt the score from it in case you missed it, so not sure where you want to go with that. But did any of it make him come out of his shell and start moving forward? No at least not imo.

I'll say it again being forceful might help but treating someone poorly is to me never the answer. If you think that treating someone poorly is ok then that's your opinion, I'm just venting my frustration over how it's making the show worse for me.

The show at the very least have me emotionally invested which is more that I can say about other show that I only watch for fun.

Kraco
Sat, 11-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I don't find any of your examples as accurate but in this very case with Arima I truly believe that if we reverse the order and Kaori did that honest pitch to him at the beginning he would have said yes. So do I find the way they treated him as necessary? No I don't.

I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have. Kaori behaving a little better and asking nicely did nothing but gave him a tiny bit of self-confidence, which he actually knew to be false and useless because it would do nothing to his deeper psychological problem. He agreed to play for the kids at the cafe as well, but as if dictated by a timer, he lost his ability in the middle of it. However, it hardly matters because it was just a cafe. He actually knew the same thing would happen during this consert as well, but Kaori's angelic face stuck so close to his own made him forget it for a moment, like it would have made any man. All in all it only worked because they were already there, being called to the stage. He wasn't a douche enough to back off at that point anymore, sending her to perform alone.

fireheart
Sat, 11-01-2014, 11:17 AM
I'm 99% sure he wouldn't have. Kaori behaving a little better and asking nicely did nothing but gave him a tiny bit of self-confidence, which he actually knew to be false and useless because it would do nothing to his deeper psychological problem. He agreed to play for the kids at the cafe as well, but as if dictated by a timer, he lost his ability in the middle of it. However, it hardly matters because it was just a cafe. He actually knew the same thing would happen during this consert as well, but Kaori's angelic face stuck so close to his own made him forget it for a moment, like it would have made any man. All in all it only worked because they were already there, being called to the stage. He wasn't a douche enough to back off at that point anymore, sending her to perform alone.

I didn't mean if she asked nicely as I said if she did that honest pitch the same one she did in the show in the last episode, tears and everything I don't have a single doubt that he'd say yes.

David75
Sat, 11-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Kaori was oozing amazing levels of sensuality. She's the exact opposite of Arima in everything related to the personality and body language. But they're both amazing teen musicians.
it's not the first time we have a clash beetween the orthodox/mechanical/ genius and the pure instinctive self created genius (Initial D comes to mind).
I guess it's only natural they attract each other.

Kraco
Sat, 11-01-2014, 12:02 PM
it's not the first time we have a clash beetween the orthodox/mechanical/ genius and the pure instinctive self created genius (Initial D comes to mind).

Wasn't Nodame Cantabile exactly like that as well? One a very meticulous genius who had been worked to the bone from childhood, the other a genius who didn't want to follow any rule books or strict interpretations. It's a big plus the problems are reversed in this show, because it's the by the book guy who's having troubles playing, whereas in Nodame it was the happy-go-lucky free spirit who almost gave up a few times.

David75
Sat, 11-01-2014, 12:20 PM
Of course nodame was a much better and related example... But It didn't come to mind when needed.

Differences are they are playing with each other, younger and they are both facing a wall. It's just they are not at the same stage. Arima is probably overcoming his troubles, when Kaori will probably get into it soon if I interpreted last week ep correctly.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-01-2014, 03:21 PM
She fainted. I'm kinda worried.

The romance took a great turn this episode. Soccer dude fell in love with Kaori. Childhood friend realized her feelings for Arima. Arima fell harder for Kaori. Kaori looks like she is more interested in Arima than the soccer dude.

David75
Sat, 11-01-2014, 03:30 PM
Childhood friend and soccer boy are fans/gallery/supporting characters. I guess they are to lose in the end, in any romance matchup... unless they fall for each other.

Kraco
Sat, 11-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Kaori looks like she is more interested in Arima than the soccer dude.

The soccer dude has absolutely nothing in common with her except the "bi-" in front of bishounen and bishoujo. It would be strange if Kaori didn't get more interested in Arima, assuming they continue to play together and encourage each other to get better. They would be sharing not only music but a lot of practice and performing time as well. It's also hard to imagine somebody playing like Kaori would be only interested in the superficial looks of a guy.

Childhood friend and soccer boy are fans/gallery/supporting characters. I guess they are to lose in the end, in any romance matchup... unless they fall for each other.

The childhood friend aside, you forgot the soccer dude already has like 10 girlfriends. He won't lose to anybody in the romance deparment, haha.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-01-2014, 06:33 PM
It's also hard to imagine somebody playing like Kaori would be only interested in the superficial looks of a guy.

Which makes it hard to believe she fell for him in the first place. I'm not saying that Kaori is becoming more interested in Arima. I'm saying she was interested in Arima from the start. She knew who he was but pretended not to, after all. She even goes out of her way to call him Friend A, as if she is intentionally painting the image that their meeting was accidental.

David75
Sun, 11-02-2014, 02:39 AM
The soccer dude has absolutely nothing in common with her except the "bi-" in front of bishounen and bishoujo. It would be strange if Kaori didn't get more interested in Arima, assuming they continue to play together and encourage each other to get better. They would be sharing not only music but a lot of practice and performing time as well. It's also hard to imagine somebody playing like Kaori would be only interested in the superficial looks of a guy.

The childhood friend aside, you forgot the soccer dude already has like 10 girlfriends. He won't lose to anybody in the romance deparment, haha.

It's true I didn't tell I was referring to taking Kaori for Soccer Boy, and taking Arima for Childhood friend.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-06-2014, 12:03 PM
I'm with fireheart. The music and animation is fine, but the way everything came together felt really forceful. The randomness stops me from immersing properly into this, and I felt White Album 2 did a better job overall.

So Kaori is dying and wants everyone to hear her music before she does, and Arima will train as an accompanist to get her to grander stages.

Kraco
Thu, 11-06-2014, 05:33 PM
Episode 5 - Horrible (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=620101)

- - -- -

So Kaori is dying and wants everyone to hear her music before she does, and Arima will train as an accompanist to get her to grander stages.

How do you know she's dying? Of course fainting isn't normal, but it's not necessarily a sign of something lethal. Now we learned it's not the first time, as expected, but she's still able to pull off quite a lot and her parents don't keep her from doing something stressful like competing, so I reckon it's not a condition she should be extremely careful about. Unless she indeed has a limited time left and nothing's gonna change it, so it's all the same if she tries to achieve something before the literal deadline. She would surely be a super strong 14 years old to have a personality like that in such a case. It would be more understandable with some 40+ years old.

The football dude is quite a bro, encouraging Arima to chase Kaori even though he's himself doing the same. That's a genuine playboy for ya.

But, man, Kaori really is shining.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-06-2014, 06:52 PM
It's a guess, I don't know. Given that she's had to go there for checkups and the fact she's not at all surprised she fainted again, It's my guess on how this is going to affect everything. The fact she lied about the seriousness of it is another factor that raises suspicions.

As much as I admire and want to be someone like Kaori, I can't just let it all go and live life just for certain moments. I also speculated that her personality was a coping mechanism for her illness.

Kraco
Thu, 11-06-2014, 07:02 PM
As much as I admire and want to be someone like Kaori, I can't just let it all go and live life just for certain moments. I also speculated that her personality was a coping mechanism for her illness.

Your theory is quite sound, and would of course offer heavy drama (and tragedy). I guess we will have to wait for her weaker moments. If it's like your theory goes, she has to have those. Now even when she was alone after waking in the hospital bed, she didn't seem particularly depressed or emo in any way.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-06-2014, 07:27 PM
I can't say whether she'd have weak moments currently as that depends on how much the personality is a front vs how much she's actually grown/accepted that personality as her own. If it was developed in response to her illness, I would at least say she had weak moments in the past.

Kraco
Sat, 11-15-2014, 07:14 AM
Episode 6 - HS (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=622926)

- - - - - - - -

The best moment, in a certain sense, was right at the very end when we saw some people who view Arima as a mortal enemy. It'll be beyond funny when these two (and maybe others) go the competition extremely excited about the prospect of again having a chance to compete with Arima, and then find Arima won't give a shit about them (likely won't even remember them) and might not even clear the first round.

Kaori is getting more and more awesome with every episode. I feel kind of bad for Tsubaki who obviosly has been in love with Arima forever, but Kaori simply is so brilliant that I can't grant Tsubaki even a single percent of hope. Actually I feel more sorry for the senpai who wants to date Tsubaki - only to have to listen to her prattle endlessly about another guy during the date.

I wonder if Kaori feels anything for Arima now. If she does, she might be trying to hold back, whenever she remembers to, in favour of Tsubaki. At least the womanizing playboy dude didn't have any time with Kaori in this episode. I hope he won't in the future, either, even if Kaori tries to create some distance between herself and Arima for Tsubaki's sake.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-15-2014, 07:33 AM
I'm more of a Tsubaki/Arima shipper. Kaori's pulling him out of his slump, but I do feel that the other two have much more of a connection. I'm biased however, as unpredictable, happy-go-lucky girls make me stressed.

[ASL]_Goose_house_-_Shigatsu_wa_Kimi_no_Uso_OP_-_Hikaru_nara_[MP3]_[w_Scans].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=623573)
[ASL]_Goose_house_-_Shigatsu_wa_Kimi_no_Uso_OP_-_Hikaru_nara_[FLAC]_[w_Scans].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=623572)

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Connection? You ARE biased. (The fact that you know it is worthy of respect, though.)

Kaori and Kousei look like they are destined to be together. Kaori's "confession" to soccer dude now looks like an excuse to get close to Kousei. Everything she has done in the show so far has been all about him. In contrast, everything Tsubaki has done so far has been to avoid him or her feelings for him.

I find that having only Kaori's thoughts a mystery to the audience a very nice touch. Everyone's thoughts are vocalized except hers, at least as far as I remember.

Kraco
Sat, 11-15-2014, 09:34 AM
I'm biased however, as unpredictable, happy-go-lucky girls make me stressed.

That's exactly why these two make such a jolly pair: One is, or was, an almost robotic, meticulous, systematic perfectionist after her mom's prussian teaching and upbringing, the other is an epitome of free will and happy-go-lucky mentality.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Yeah, this show almost makes me want to play with a piano again. I was like Kousei in that I only reproduced sheet music as is without personal input. Unlike Kousei however, I wasn't good.

Kraco
Sat, 11-22-2014, 07:38 AM
Episode 7 - HS (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=625433)

- - --- -- -

I guess I should have only used the sentence in the parentheses in my prediction, as not giving a shit was far too strong an expression, but otherwise I surely foresaw it nicely. The younger Arima, however, clearly didn't see the other competitors. It was quite funny he didn't even look at the results, only walked away. He really was a piano playing robot. Now he's a real aberration, and I do have a feeling he won't do too well. I can't see how he would. He ought to be even more terrified than the normal players since he can't hear what he's playing. Furthermore, he must be half, if not more, expecting to fail horribly and most probably many in the audience expect him to fail as well, especially after his funny performance with Kaori earlier. That's some pressure.

I'm not altogether sure what's the point in participating in a contest anyway. Is Kaori trying to use this as shock treatment? It's obviously a way to force him to play, but I can't help but feel it's counter productive if he accumulates more and more of experiences of failures. She did manage to make him play once at the cafe, which was a more forgiving environment. In the end it seems to me that he would just need to forget his mom and enjoy playing to be able to hear it again. How do these contests make him enjoy it?

Other than that, the park scene was very nice. Arima and Kaori must have seen the hand touching moment quite differently.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-22-2014, 08:30 AM
Their previous performance showed how Kousei is indeed a performer (ensousha). The music critic said as much. Kousei even involuntarily tried to steal Kaori's show from her. As much as he "hates" to play the piano, he was born and raised for it, and obviously loves it since he could not let it go after 2 years of struggling. A competition is the best way to make him realize that himself.

Kraco
Sat, 11-22-2014, 11:34 AM
A competition is the best way to make him realize that himself.

Is it? That's the exact thing I'm unsure of. Forcing himself to go in front of all those people despite knowing he's going to fail, one way or another, since he can't hear his own playing, is kind of negative energy shock therapy. If he can conquer the situation, he might indeed gain something out of it. Otherwise it's going to be pure horror. I kind of feel that if it works, it only works because of the far more positive moments he has with Kaori. His only other music related person was the tyrannic mother, but now he has the angelic Kaori as well. He might start to hear his playing as soon as the ghoulish image of his mom inside his head is replaced by an image of Kaori when he tries to play.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-22-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't think Kaori is sending him out there to fail. He won't win, sure, but that doesn't mean it will be a disaster.

fireheart
Sat, 11-22-2014, 09:06 PM
It probably will be a disaster, he's been away for a long time and facing a competition on his own for the first time. Before he played the piano for his mom, this is the first time he more or less plays for himself so unlike before the pressure and how nervous he is should be far worse. If I had to guess it'll probably turn out the same way as the other times he's played in that he plays fine at the start then panics once he can't hear the notes anymore, upping the tempo and smashing the keys just to give up. Though this time he won't have Kaori next to him to tell him to play again.

Also we're all biased no matter which couple we're shipping.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 11-22-2014, 09:57 PM
You're missing the part that this is entertainment. Him falling apart at this point won't please anyone, save for a depressed author. This isn't Tomino or Anno, at least I hope. We've already seen him fail. Repeating that is not only boring but needlessly depressing.

David75
Sun, 11-23-2014, 02:16 AM
My guess is that somehow the 2 competitors will become friends/friendly competitors.
So he needs to fail enough to make them shine a bit and join the crew.
The downside to that is that Childhood friend and soccer boy would lose even more screen/story time and become even less important with regards to the Music anime theme.

fireheart
Sun, 11-23-2014, 08:14 AM
I never said he'd fall apart, but I still think he'll fail generally in the way I described. He's already gaining a lot of things whether he does well or not in this competition, he's actually taking a look at his competitors instead of staring at the ground and realizing they're all feeling the same fear. He's also standing for the first time on his own and as Kaori said even if you mess up you'll stand back up because he's a musician so I think this is more about him realizing that. In terms of story it's unrealistic to expect him to do well enough and overcome his trauma that fast which is why I think it'll be a repeat of the earlier performance which was a disaster in terms of the competition.

Kraco
Sun, 11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
In terms of story it's unrealistic to expect him to do well enough and overcome his trauma that fast which is why I think it'll be a repeat of the earlier performance which was a disaster in terms of the competition.

If this show is all about the trauma, then yes, but if it's only the beginning of this story, then not necessarily. His only problem is that he can't hear his own playing. Only but huge. It's such a strange problem that he could snap out of it quite suddenly. After all, it appeared extremely suddenly. With Kaori around, I'd say he already has all the keys needed. But, yeah, I very much believe this performance isn't going to go smoothly. When he snaps out of his unhearing, I'd prefer if it happened due to Kaori more directly, making him fall for her all the more. It would be quite boring if it happens during a competition play such as this.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 11-23-2014, 11:09 AM
The biggest hurdle for me in this show is that you can't hear your own playing. That's just weird.

Kraco
Sat, 11-29-2014, 04:51 AM
Episode 8 - HS

- - - - -- --

I guess it makes sense they would feel so strongly about Arima since they are still middle schoolers. Despite the fact the dude hasn't played for two years (publicly, as far as they know) and they witnessed the last performance that turned into a catastrophe and ended his career. Do they know about the hilarious performance in the violin competition? I don't recall if it was mentioned. I reckon not, or they wouldn't be taking him quite so seriously. The dude thought directly that he's not sure if he has caught up to Arima, or if Arima is now even higher above. The girl seems a bit different since she's not as much trying to catch up to him as she's trying to show that the robotic Arima isn't anything special.

Man, it's going to be both so sad and so funny when Arima gives a horrible performance. If he manages to play till the end I guess technically it could be mediocre, but for those two, and maybe others who know his name, they would obviously be expecting something grand, so mediocre would be the same as disastrous.

Still, I didn't actually foresee Arima being so affected by these other pianists. Did Kaori foresee this? I might have been highly dubious about entering this competition in his current condition, but in fact everything else but his own playing seems to be doing wonders to his mentality. I suppose I grossly and unfairly underestimated Kaori's plan.

David75
Sat, 11-29-2014, 06:48 AM
I wonder what we should be waiting for.
We already had a horrible performance where he was at his low and somehow got the will to fight back.
Since this is anime, anything between abysmal bad and heavenly good is out of the question.
So what is the way out?
Because I can't see Arima outperform those 2. He started playing again for what, 2 months since Kaori entered his life.
Even if he's a genius, I wonder if that would be enough. I do not take fairness into the equation, hardwork is not enough in a competition. But even a true genius needs some serious training. And I think that even if Arima suddenly is freed from his various schakles and he starts playing with all of his soul, mind freed of every doubt, he should'nt be able to overcome his lack of training.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-29-2014, 07:26 AM
I think he will end up playing well and emotionally. It might be from the start, in which case he might have a chance of winning the competition, or it might be after an initial stuff-up like last time. In that case, he wouldn't have scored well overall, but the other two rivals would know that Arima had reached a higher level.

The depictions of their past is confusing. Arima looks like he was 6 years old when he quit. It's hard to believe that it's only been a 2 year gap. It visually seems more like a 5-7 year gap.

I liked how the girl this episode was really emotional, explaining how she suddenly peaked when she wasn't as good usually.

Kraco
Sat, 11-29-2014, 08:07 AM
The depictions of their past is confusing. Arima looks like he was 6 years old when he quit. It's hard to believe that it's only been a 2 year gap. It visually seems more like a 5-7 year gap.

Yeah, it's pretty confusing. It feels wrong every time they say two years.

I liked how the girl this episode was really emotional, explaining how she suddenly peaked when she wasn't as good usually.

Only the last two years. Before that she was apparently competing for the second or third place with the blond dude whilst Arima always took the first place.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-29-2014, 10:32 AM
Only the last two years. Before that she was apparently competing for the second or third place with the blond dude whilst Arima always took the first place.

True, but that was because Arima was driving her so you could say that she was always emotional.

Kraco
Thu, 12-04-2014, 03:24 PM
Episode 9 - HS

- - - -- - -

Hmm... I think Kaori grossly, and fatefully, underestimated just how big a demon Arima is carrying on his shoulders. The mother really was a monster, no question about that. After these gruesome flashbacks, it's kind of a good question whether Arima really is a musician or if it's only what he has left, after everything else was literally beaten away. Sure he must have talent, but it's nigh impossible to say, after such spartan upbringing, if that's what he would have chosen for himself if given a chance. He simply had no other choice whatsoever and it did continue for a long time, apparently. However, the fact the curse now is stronger than his love for music does suggest he's not, at least for the moment, nearly as genuine a musician as Kaori believes. If he was, the curse wouldn't be so disastrous. Although that's only what I think. I have never seen outside of fiction people who would be too emotionally crippled to do the things they most love to do. A fear of public performances and such are a different matter, naturally.

I have no idea how the dude's going to break that curse he's so strongly adhering to. The fact it's so illogical only makes it harder. Before this ep I didn't realise it was anywhere near that bad and thus I thought it would be a simple matter of replacing the negativity of his mom's ghost with the positivity of Kaori. However, he had been driven by a basically negative force for as long as he had played. It's no simple matter.

I always find it damn hard to watch episodes of (semi-) realistic shows where the main character will perform something publicly and is likely to fail. Fortunately this ep was so broken by those flashbacks that my thoughts were diverted.

David75
Thu, 12-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Another ep with some fillers some data... and a cliffhanger cut.

I think Arima has music in him, the girl in red is the proof. It's after that first performance the monstruous mother did all of that.

I guess that now that he made mistakes, he can't win, so I guess he'll drown a bit and will surface again. Seems like we've been there.

Kaori now... somehow, I do not think it's a good idea to have another close woman with severe health problems for Arima.
It now feels like he'll live the same story all over again: play to please her and have her health get better.
Of course he's not a young kid anymore, still the idea remains.

Kraco
Thu, 12-04-2014, 04:12 PM
Kaori now... somehow, I do not think it's a good idea to have another close woman with severe health problems for Arima.
It now feels like he'll live the same story all over again: play to please her and have her health get better.
Of course he's not a young kid anymore, still the idea remains.

Yeah, it's a really cruel fate waiting for him. Maybe it'll turn out different this time: The death of the monster made him unable to play, the death of the angel will make him play so well that people will cry listening to it.

David75
Fri, 12-05-2014, 10:50 AM
And I don't know if we really need that kind of drama in the setting we've had so far.

Kraco
Thu, 12-11-2014, 04:03 PM
Episode 10 - HS

- - - -- - - -

Damn those Japanese. They are so formal that even when they realised how much he was struggling to overcome an obvious trauma or other sort of (musically) fatal problem (and some did know what it was), they didn't bother to applaud afterwards, despite the fact the last portion really drew them in so much they didn't even noticed the passing of time.

I hope Arima got rid of the ghost of his monster mother with this. Every time she appeared, I was thinking that Arima needs to go and kick her gravestone to the ground, and that she ought to be pretty high on the most hated characters poll this season. Even if it's just her ghost. Not that the living version was any better. As expected, thinking of Kaori helped him crucially. Kaori the Exorcist.

All in all I'm happy with how this was executed. It was realistic he failed, though he wouldn't have necessarily needed to fail so much he would get disqualified, but it could have gone either way. This way, fortunately, allowed him to return as a pianist, even if it meant he won't be evaluated, so it was certainly worth it. Above all, it was quite nice he didn't give a shit about the competition at that point anymore. He only thought of Kaori and apparently was happy he could play once again, which is naturally the most important thing.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-11-2014, 10:33 PM
I think he will end up playing well and emotionally. It might be from the start, in which case he might have a chance of winning the competition, or it might be after an initial stuff-up like last time. In that case, he wouldn't have scored well overall, but the other two rivals would know that Arima had reached a higher level.

BAM

That last scene before the credits made it seem like the only person who mattered was his mother, even though I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be Kaori. Tsubaki's all but officially out of the romance ring now. :'(

Oh, and he's playing for Kaori now, is he going to have another slump?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-11-2014, 10:57 PM
The title, people.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-11-2014, 11:07 PM
The you in April lied (was a lie)?

I have yet to form a solid opinion on this yet.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-11-2014, 11:19 PM
Shigatsu wa kimi no uso = April is your lie.

Obsessive pianist girl just mentioned how his playing is like April.

Kaori has a plethora of death flags.

Kraco
Fri, 12-12-2014, 02:02 AM
Kaori has a plethora of death flags.

Yeah, we even saw an arsenal of pills, quite unbecoming a middle school student. She clearly didn't pass out just for the hell of it, back then. Will she live till the end of the story, though? Or are we forced to see her death?

David75
Sat, 12-13-2014, 11:23 AM
She even mentioned she plays to leave something alive in people... (No, nothing sexual :D )

Kraco
Thu, 12-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Episode 11 - HS

- - - - - --

It feels like she's not counting years anymore but mere months. Her apology to the violin sounded like she expects to play just once more. I reckon she got some motivation to make Arima play again by thinking that leaves the world of music with a plus minus zero situation, not negative, at least, with Arima replacing her. I can understand that. But, man, it's going to suck for Arima. He even had the guts to tell her how much she means.

I liked how Arima wasn't crushed in the least by the lack of applause, only having eyes for Kaori's response. And then again he remained totally calm looking at the list with his name missing, although to be fair he expected no less. Being confronted by the furious Aiza did nothing to crack him. He's really single-minded and independent in a good way, just like a hero to quote Aiza.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 12-18-2014, 11:20 PM
Manly tears.

Whoever voiced Kousei (I can't believe he also voiced Hikari in Nagi no Asu Kara, a character the complete opposite of Kousei) did an amazing job. His monologues never feel too melodramatic. It hits the right spot every time. He rocked it when he quoted Mozart and when he confessed to Kaori.

I really hope Kaori doesn't die. I will never forget this story either way, so I want to remember it without crying each time.

Kraco
Thu, 01-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Episode 13 - HS

- - - - - - -

Arima is progressing quite well on his path to becoming a weird pianist. The audience never knows how he's going to play, and furthermore, the style might switch once or twice during the performance. I don't think he will find employment in an orchestra, but he might do well enough as a solo player or in very small bands made of equally weird people (such as Kaori, though I guess she'll die before becoming a pro). But that's only if he can somehow overcome the fact Japan is a conservative country and classical music is rather conservative in itself. Fortunately colourful players, if the music is still good, naturally get their name out better and will be remembered better than strictly by the book ones.

It's an exceedingly forlorn analysis, though, that he would need to lose important people to develop as a musician. That might work for a musician, but what about the person? He took his mothers death so hard that if he now loses Kaori as well, it might rather break him for good than make him an even better pianist. After all, it took someone, Kaori, to forcefully drag him out from the shadows and onto the stage. If Kaori goes, what are the chances there would ever appear another one to do it again?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-16-2015, 01:21 AM
I love Emi. She actually did a fist pump after seeing Kousei perform so well. If Kaori is indeed fated to die, I hope Kousei ends up with her instead of Tsubaki.

@Kraco - Kousei is only changing play style mid performance because he is still unstable and growing as he plays. Once he peaks, he would not be a "colorful" pianist, but an absolutely excellent one that can play at an absurdly high technical level while imparting something to the audience. Japan's foremost pianist called him a genius, and she doesn't even call herself that.

Kraco
Fri, 01-16-2015, 01:55 AM
I love Emi. She actually did a fist pump after seeing Kousei perform so well. If Kaori is indeed fated to die, I hope Kousei ends up with her instead of Tsubaki.

It seems to me Tsubaki enjoyed taking care of the broken Arima, and now that he's healing, she finds herself unnecessary. While I reckon she's genuinely happy he can play again, she might even find herself missing the time Arima was a regular nobody, not a genius pianist, and only had her. After all, she had no part whatsoever in making him play once more, maybe even the contrary.

You are probably right about Arima's future, but didn't he say himself that his aim is to become an eccentric pianist?

Kraco
Thu, 01-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Episode 14 - HS

-- - - -- --- -

This show is quite good even when there's little playing. Although it's kind of painful to watch Kaori slowly dying and Arima trying to convince himself she's not. I don't think it's working too well for him, though. Her mother's fate probably taugh him too much, and since he visited the hospital often, I imagine, he must have seen a few strangers sharing the same destiny as well. I don't think Kaori is making the situation any better by just trying to tell it's nothing. That's something he ought to see through. All that is left is whether he believes what he wants to happen or what he fears will happen. He's a bit melancholic so it could very well be the latter.

I suppose it's good Tsubaki realised the reality of her feelings, but she's still my last favourite for Arima. If it's not Kaori, then Emi would be nice, like Shinta said. Tsubaki would be annoying because there's no spark there. I don't see how she could ever inspire Kousei, on the contrary, she might drag him down.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-23-2015, 12:04 AM
While I don't like the TsubakiXKousei pairing, I did feel very sorry for Tsubaki this episode. She really did love and care for Kousei all these years. The symbolism using the shiny mud balls, which require a lot of effort to do, to show Tsubaki's nurturing of her feelings was amazing. Her time, passion, and hard work made them shine, but in the end, they are just mud.

The execution of this show is excellent. Even the most trite storylines are delivered flawlessly. Even the timing of the musical score, the sudden news about moving, and Tsubaki's tears was like a KO combination for the heartstrings.

Kraco
Thu, 02-05-2015, 03:40 PM
Epispde 16 - HS

- - - - - -

That was quite a last line for an episode. I guess Kousei must understand already that she's dying. He couldn't anymore help but connect her erratic behavior to his mother's. Previously he had managed to avoid those thought quite successfully, even if visiting a hospital for any reason must remind him of it.

I think getting a student, sort of, is good for him as it keeps him better connected to other musicians. However, I very much doubt it will do much to help him cope with Kaori's death. He's just losing too much. Even though I wouldn't really want Kaori to die, but realistically speaking it would be kind of anticlimactic if she didn't. So, I'm actually looking forward to seeing just how finely this high quality show will pull off Kousei's suffering and struggle afterwards. Although I suppose she could linger on for a while longer and wouldn't die before the end, especially if this show won't cover too much time. It could be easier if she died sooner, however, and thus some sort of a conclusion could be reached.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-05-2015, 11:15 PM
I wrote so much about this episode then a fucking ad for farmville caused backspace to take me back to the previous page. FUCK ADS. Screw people who actually buy into them, too.

Was Kaori in the same hospital when Kousei's mother offered double suicide to her own son? The last lines in this episode were quoted in the subtitles, and the way Kaori said them was akin to repeating someone else's words.

If so, it would shed light to the mystery of why Kaori is so obsessed with Kousei. He was not a random hero to her, like he is to the others. He might have chosen life just when Kaori had been sentenced to death (or at least already knew about her time limit). I am so excited for next week's episode even though this one broke my heart.

Kousei didn't need another love interest. Nagi being Spikey's sister was unnecessary. It was heavily hinted, I know, but I would have wanted a mix up in this case.

Kousei is incredibly stupid for thinking that Kaori likes Watari. Unfortunately, we already know he is that dense after seeing Tsubaki's plight. Kaori cried on your back, you doofus.

The coloring used on Kaori's character fades gradually with each passing episode. Her lips are getting bluer, and her skin and hair have gotten deathly pale. The contrast with the flashbacks in this episode where she was as bright as the sun was heartbreaking. I cried when she could no longer hold her bow.

The writing for this story is excellent. I loved Nagi's lines. "I am the phantom. The phantom who lurks in the opera."

Buffalobiian
Sun, 02-08-2015, 10:47 AM
I stopped watching this show a few episodes ago out of time constraints, and even wondered whether I've had enough. I'm glad I didn't though, because the story for the past few episodes has been at its best.

I agree about the colour and what this means. The way it contrasts with Kaori's persona (she's acting 99% the same) just screams "She can't hide it anymore". I'm struggling to work out what she has. It looks neurological, but also very inconsistent. She only lost her dexterity in the last 2 eps or so. She actually appears sicker than her movement would suggest. Perhaps this, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_inflammatory_demyelinating_polyneuropathy) but she makes it sound like she's only got months left despite how well she moves. It's not the point though, so I can settle with "she's sick" just fine.

Was Kaori in the same hospital when Kousei's mother offered double suicide to her own son? The last lines in this episode were quoted in the subtitles, and the way Kaori said them was akin to repeating someone else's words.

She's quoting from the book in the wheelchair. The record showed her that Arima also borrowed that book.

Kraco
Sun, 02-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Yeah, it was made obvious she was quoting the words from the book, but nobody quotes such a line in such a situation as a joke. Though at the same time the words of a regretful dying person should be taken with a healthy dose of salt.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 02-08-2015, 12:07 PM
Oh I missed that. Thanks for the reminder.

Kraco
Thu, 02-12-2015, 02:42 PM
Episode 17 - HS

- -- - -

The lolicon bait is turning out to be a more meaningful character than I gave her credit for, despite the fact I already did call teaching her a positive if not necessary thing for Kousei. I still think it's going to be extremely hard for Kousei to get over Kaori's death, but maybe it's not hopeless, after all. If he has enough other things to worry about, and people who will keep kicking him forward despite his best efforts to feel sorry for himself, he just might pull it through. Even the playboy friend seemed willing to give him a push. I suppose it will help him that he's not extremely extroverted, so even if he feels like it's crucial to have someone you are playing for, it's not like his whole world was about other people.

We could use a bit of Emi now, though, especially with Kaori so tied to the hospital room.

Kraco
Thu, 02-19-2015, 04:11 PM
Episode 18 - HS

- - - - - --

An exquisite episode once again. Even the infernal Twinkle twinke towards the end couldn't ruin it. The piano portion was jolly good, as expected. It's not clear whether Kousei had it all planned like this or if he just decided to do it during the performance, but it worked very nicely. Nagi's personality also was such that it was realistic and plausible. Of course it makes sense that since Kousei's personal objective was to punch Kaori, he needed something extravagant, so in that sense it might have been planned. But nevertheless, the switch right in the middle of the performance was just like the Kousei we are used to seeing. I bet those knowing him among the audience were waiting for it as well.

I don't know what to think of Kaori's situation. The impression given is that she's headed for a grave, not a stage. Even if she lingered, such a performance takes some stamina and strength, so how realistic would it be for her to get another chance? But then again, considering Kousei's behavior, this was natural. It's not like he would simply accept his love's death. I'm simply not looking forward to a no conclusion with this affair. The manga seemed to have ended only this month, if I understood correctly, so a conclusion would be possible, counting the already listed ova in the spring. The worst case would be Kaori staying permanently in the hospital and Kousei playing out there, forever.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Nagi was really cute in this episode. Yes, I know it's mainly because of the loli waki exposure, but who cares. Kaori did not only revive Kousei. It also paved the way for Nagi to manifest her talent. Even without that final performance, she has already made an indelible mark in Japanese classical music.

I am personally not looking forward to their final waltz. No matter how it turns out, I know that my heart is going into break to itsy bitsy pieces. At least their feelings towards each other are now clear. I hope for a little bit of physical contact between them, though. I still cannot forget them butting heads, holding hands, and riding that bike. Music is amazing and all, but please let these ephemeral lovebirds remember each other's warmth somewhere else.

Kraco
Thu, 02-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Episode 19 - HS

- - - --- - --

Hmm... The beginning was kind of annoying since it suggested Kaori's situation was something surgery might solve, even if the chances are low. It's surely genetic, whatever she has, but I thought it was something current medicine simply couldn't fix, let alone surgery. But then again, if she's only looking for a little more time, maybe it's something like benign tumors in her brain. Even if they operated, the same situation would appear again.

Otherwise a good episode, as expected. I'm now glad we got to know some of the people in the audience, such as both Setos and Nagi, as now their reactions and hopes are much more meaningful. The sandwich scene felt like a sudden jump in those three's relationship, but I don't mind. It was good for Kousei.

A jolly good piece we got in this ep as well.

Takeshi is such a jolly big brother:
T: Don't you dare hit on my little sister!
K: I wouldn't!
T: You should! People will think she's not hot if you don't.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-26-2015, 09:37 PM
Emi is so cute. Her being silent and pouty all the time is so awesome, and makes Takeshi look like an idiot. Her childhood line when they were together eating was so adorable. Kuudere FTW.

I hope this series ends with Arima destroying the competition. As much as I love drama, I also love OP MCs.

Kraco
Thu, 03-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Episode 20 - HS

- - - - - -

An episode devoid of playing. It started to bother me towards the end, especially since the rest was about the same triangle drama we have seen a bunch of times already. Though of course the confessions were new. Looking at it in retrospect, the emptiness, save for the confessions, was excellent to build the atmosphere for Kaori's sudden and rather dramatic scene. The cat scene felt like a continuation of the Kaori scene because it was like a metaphor of Kousei trying to save Kaori, only to fail and again lose everything.

It would be cool if Kaori really died now and the series ended with Kousei giving such a powerful and sad performance that the audience was full of weeping people. Somewhat cruel to hope for such a forlorn ending for the main character, but what can you do when the chance is so good.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-05-2015, 11:49 PM
You're an asshole.

Like Watari.

I just want Kousei to be happy. There's too much tragedy in his life. He deserves a break.

Kraco
Fri, 03-13-2015, 06:27 PM
Episode 21 - HS

- - - - -- -

Quite heavy on the emo scale and it felt kind of disjointed between the positive end of the roof scene and then how Kousei seemed like a total wreck in the next scene, sitting all alone on the corridor floor, with the teacher also claiming he was no good. Although naturally one might just put it down to being an emotional issue not connected to Kaori but rather the fact he was so busy feeling sorry for himself he had no time for practice. With all the other emo scenes that's already a bit much. With the show ending, this also means he didn't score a single smooth performance. Isn't that a bit much? I'd have preferred to wonder how he will play, not whether.

I trust the last episode to deliver perfectly, though. Even if Kaori doesn't die.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-13-2015, 09:25 PM
I think he was practicing by himself. The teacher just didn't know about it.

Kraco
Sat, 03-14-2015, 03:48 AM
He said himself that he hasn't touched the piano for a week. I'm actually not sure how much time was between the Kaori scene and the contest, as I only paid cursory attention to the calendars shown, so maybe he did get a little bit of practice jammed in.

David75
Sat, 03-14-2015, 04:32 AM
I wonder how much of a problem it is to stop practice for a week.
We're talking workaholic piano geniuses here.
And although the other 2 had their full practice schedule okayed, it's not like they do not have their own troubles.
Also, Kousei seems to be several notches above the other two in terms of genius.

So is that week that detrimental, or does it serve as a breather where he can sort all of his feelings and be ready at the very last second to let his genius express itself?

Kraco
Sat, 03-14-2015, 08:59 AM
It's not a problem of the general level of skill as a piano player. The problem is that he had less time to practice and hone the specific composition he was to play. Although arguably his own words made it sound like his fingers had already forgotten how to play during that single week, which is bullshit, of course.

Kraco
Thu, 03-19-2015, 04:52 PM
Episode 22 Final - HS

- - - - -- -

A fine ending. I wasn't sure which way the story would choose for an ending, but I'm satisfied it was this one. There a certain ruthless sense of realism about it, yet this episode was really beautiful with both the piano performance and then the letter. Despite how he was earlier, now you can see Kousei had strength in him. Perhaps it was born from both experience and the fact he realised he's not alone despite the loss. When his mom died, he had neither of those.

A perfectly executed death of a main character is a powerful story element indeed. If a death is used cheaply, it won't amount to much or might even annoy, but there were no such worries here. If Kousei hadn't come to terms with this, the ending would have been bitter and thus bad. We saw enough emoness from him as it was, so this was real character development. Yet it was clear, already during the piano performance when he got the premonition, that it wasn't easy for him.

This was definitely one of the best shows of the seasons it covered. Maybe I'll need to check out the manga as well, to see if it's different. Although if Kaori's fate wasn't the same in the manga, I wouldn't know what to think.

Tsubaki is still a pesky musclehead. I hope the ending didn't suggest Kousei actually accepted her. Nagi, Emi, or anybody would be much better.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-19-2015, 11:30 PM
Masterpiece.

It is very rare to find a series in which the story, characters, and execution are all excellent. And a masterful ending at that?

Brilliant.

Even the title made perfect sense. Every single part of the story contributed to its conclusion. I can talk about this all day, but it would not justify how beautiful it all is. I'm writing with tears running down my chin.

Nagi's line near the end was translated wrong. She actually said, "It's not like I want to be Arima-sensei's piano, okay!? So cliche!" She wanted to be manipulated by those expert fingers, and who can blame her?

Kaori, you won't only live in the hearts of the characters, but the viewers of this heartrending yet warming story. I, for one, will never forget you. I'd rather you appear as a ghost before me than that.

Kraco
Fri, 03-20-2015, 02:56 AM
Nagi's line near the end was translated wrong. She actually said, "It's not like I want to be Arima-sensei's piano, okay!? So cliche!"

No wonder her reaction and the subtitle line didn't match at all. I can't help but wonder if CR didn't do that on purpose.

I got a bloody phone call right in the middle of watching this episode. It kind of ruined the atmosphere for me. Curses!

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-20-2015, 08:04 AM
I woke up much earlier than usual today. Normally, I can get back to sleep for some more shut eye, but then I recalled that Kaori is now gone. A crushing sense of loss woke me up completely.

Btw, the way Kousei ended his piece, tears dribbling down his cheeks but his head held high and his eyes to the sky, was the perfect topping for his performance. Kaori kept telling him that he was always looking down, and it took a final performance with her, an indelible goodbye, for him to break his bad habit and face the future.

I would ask for a harem end just to make up for all the pain Kousei has had to suffer in his youth, but we all know, as Kaori suggested, that he is nothing like his asshat friend Watari. I think Nagi would be able to support him best. She lives in his world but also has the spunk to keep him from sinking into depression. However, Tsubaki's devotion is hard to ignore. If it's simply about who cares for Kousei the most, only Kaori beats Tsubaki. The others love him more for his piano, but Tsubaki loves him knowing how pathetic he can be. I'm fine with KouseiXTsubaki, and that was what was suggested in the last episode.

Kraco
Fri, 03-20-2015, 08:54 AM
If it's simply about who cares for Kousei the most, only Kaori beats Tsubaki. The others love him more for his piano, but Tsubaki loves him knowing how pathetic he can be. I'm fine with KouseiXTsubaki, and that was what was suggested in the last episode.

Tsubaki loved him when he was pathetic and had nobody around but Tsubaki exclusively (and Watari, but being a dude, he's no competition). Tsubaki liked his piano playing, sure, but she also hated how it immediately took him away from her. So, even if Kousei stopped playing, and thus lost his soul, more or less, Tsubaki would be perfectly okay with it. She doesn't even understand anything about music, anyway. That's no good, no good at all. Nagi would absolutely make sure he keeps playing and aims higher, just like Kaori did. Tsubaki's devotion is of a dangerous kind. So, I'm not really okay with it. I hope the ova doesn't confirm that pairing. Or the manga, should I have a look at it.

Besides, pianists need their legs. Tsubaki is hell-bent on breaking Kousei's leg bones.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-20-2015, 09:12 AM
Tsubaki behaved like that because she didn't know she loved Kousei. Her behavior post-realization was far more acceptable than before it.

David75
Fri, 03-20-2015, 10:19 AM
I think neither Tsubaki nor Nagi could become a love interrest for Kousei. Should he overcome his budding love for Kaori and become available for another love relationship, it would probably happen outside the character cast we have here. Probably near of post music college graduation. And that would make a hell of a spinoff if carefully written like that show was.
Remaining cast not mentioned are Emi and Nao.
Emi is a mix of a strong oponent and also great Kousei fan. Being both pianist is detrimental. Also there's no hint at anything yet. But they are young teens and life is full of surprise encounters, even more so as they are top tier pianist, they WILL meet again along their musician life.
Nao is the under-underdog. She's behind Tsubaki who was herself behind Kaori. But she's smart and not that far. She also has time for growth. There's absolutely nothing hinting at any kind of relation with Kousei, there's only her screentime in the same show. So I had to mention her.
Then there are all girls at the same school and all the girls he will encounter from now.
The biggest hurdle being able to keep a place for Kaori in his heart, without closing doors to every other girl.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-20-2015, 10:44 AM
I don't get why Tsubaki and Nagi are out. You didn't explain why you think so.

David75
Fri, 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM
I had the idea, forgot to express it.
Well, even if people evolve, Tsubaki really feels like a big sister to Kousei and Nagi really is a piano student, not a little sister. Writing it like that, I feel like Nagi might have a little more chances than Tsubaki. But that teacher/student relation would probably be limiting Kousei, even if the age difference will become marginal overtime. Unless for some reason Kousei and Nagi live their lives separately for 5 to 10 years and are reunited after that, it's hard to see them together if they share that Prof/Student relationship.

Big sis Tsubaki is out in my mind, because Kousei has shown no love interrest for Tsubaki and was even surprised Tsubaki had such feelings for him. After he learns those feelings, he didn't really show any change that would hint he might be interrested in the near future. From the flasbacks and everything we got from the Tsubaki-Kousei relations, I got the feeling only a big sister love is in Kousei's mind.

Kraco
Fri, 03-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Nagi is 13, Kousei 14 years old. Nagi is a bit childish by style and behavior, but if she revamped herself, wouldn't she actually be quite similar to Kaori? She has the spunk, certainly, and also, perhaps equally importantly, the good looks. She was only Kousei's student because she isn't as advanced as a pianist and because Hiroko was crafty enough to make Kousei teach her in order to expand Kousei's circle of friends/acquaintances. By getting together with Nagi, Kousei would also gain Takeshi as a brother-in-law, which means those two could compete more intensively as they would probably communicate and meet more often. I reckon the Aiza family must be somewhat music oriented, which could help Kousei as well during his early career. It didn't seem like Takeshi would object either, as long as Kousei would keep rocking the piano.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Yeah, Nagi is like a dying Kaori. The real Kaori is nothing like the girl Kousei fell in love with. She is a shy girl who can't even talk to the guy she loved because he was in a group. However, that still means Nagi is the best fit to Kousei in terms of personality.

It didn't seem like Takeshi would object either, as long as Kousei would keep rocking the piano.

Unless the piano is Nagi and they do it in front of him.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-28-2015, 12:52 PM
I wonder how much of a problem it is to stop practice for a week.

It can feel pretty bad. Even if you miss a day or two you feel as if your fingers are rusty. Objectively it might not be a big deal, but it feels terrible.

Nagi is 13, Kousei 14 years old. Nagi is a bit childish by style and behavior, but if she revamped herself, wouldn't she actually be quite similar to Kaori?

And in this show the growth from 12-14 years is stunning: from midget to middle-schooler. Remember flashback Kousei?

To be honest I thought I would be disappointed at this show during the earlier parts of Kousei's performance. It didn't strike me as being particularly emotional, until we hit Kaori's disclosing letter. I still didn't get as teary as in Death Parade's emotional outburst but the feels were there. The highlight was seeing a more graceful, knowing Arima (and the final conversation that followed) - Kaori's permanent mark.

Only two points that peeved me off a bit in this show. One of them was earlier figurative "drowning" of Kousei's piano playing we had so much of. In retrospect it's necessary to contrast the scenery we see when he recovers, but it was still a dull none the less. The other point would be the medical inaccuracies (that's just me). At the same time, the detail given to the equipment was surprisingly well drawn.

I only just learned about the OVA now. I have no idea what it'd be about but hopefully it'll be a timeskip epilogue instead of a backstory. Things have finished off enough as they are. I'd rather see them moving forwards.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-28-2015, 04:51 PM
I didn't cry too much while Kousei was playing as well. Even the awesome duet did not hit me hard emotionally, but that was mainly because I was praying that it was all an illusion and Kaori is still alive.

And she wasn't.

Cries.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 03-29-2015, 09:59 AM
I didn't cry too much while Kousei was playing as well. Even the awesome duet did not hit me hard emotionally, but that was mainly because I was praying that it was all an illusion and Kaori is still alive.

That was the same for me as well. The slight drop in heart rate wasn't a convincing death flag for me and it took the cemetery scene to convince me that Kaori was truly dead.

I forgot to mention that Nagi is awesome. I'm a Kousei x Tsubaki shipper, but Nagi must be in the picture somewhere. A year or two down the track she'll be grown up and a little super annoyed that a music-illiterate person like Tsubaki is Kaori-sensei's girlfriend.

Emi's cool too, but she's content with having a sandwich next to him every now and again.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 03-29-2015, 03:48 PM
I need more Emi and Nagi and Waki. They should create a sequel for this.

Kraco
Thu, 05-21-2015, 10:49 AM
Shigatsu OVA 576p DVD - Mori (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=692049)

- - - -- - - -

I watched this a couple of days ago, and it was close I wouldn't have even bothered to post a notice here. It was so unremarkable. It was all about the distant past, when Takeshi and Emi started to try to compete with Kousei. So, this was 100% little kids. Needless to mention, nothing really happened here. I can't really say seeing Takeshi and Emi before they decided to give their all to the piano would be that enlightening or meaningless. Kaori also looks more strange than angelic as a little kid, so that was wasted as well. But whatever.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 05-21-2015, 11:37 AM
I skipped through this but didn't watch it. That's rare for me.

This story is just finished and done in my head and heart. Unless they decide to do a proper sequel.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 05-22-2015, 12:54 AM
This is Emi fanservice. You guys suck.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 05-22-2015, 08:31 AM
An Emi with no waki is no Emi even if loli.

EDIT: I skipped through it again, and there it was. I'll watch this tonight.