PDA

View Full Version : Parasyte - the maxim

Kraco
Wed, 10-08-2014, 02:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/NeHZDL1.jpg

"They arrive in silence and darkness. They descend from the skies. They have a hunger for human flesh. They are everywhere. They are parasites, alien creatures who must invade - and take control of - a human host to survive. And once they have infected their victims, they can assume any deadly form they choose: monsters with giant teeth, winged demons, creatures with blades for hands. But most have chosen to conceal their lethal purpose behind ordinary human faces. So no one knows their secret - except an ordinary high school student. Shinichi is battling for control of his own body against an alien parasite, but can he find a way to warn humanity of the horrors to come?" -Manga-Updates

Genres: Violence, Parasite, Horror, Sci-fi, Seinen
Links: AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10272) | ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15855) | Official (http://www.kiseiju.jp/)
Download: Episode 1 720p (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=606939) | 1080p (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=606943) - HS

- -- - - - - - -

I read the manga ages ago and it only left me with good memories. This first episode brought back those good memories, and thus I'd consider it a success. Just the first half a minute gets straight to the point and reveals what sort of a gruesome story this is, despite occasional funny moments. Like the dude noticed himself, the parasyte was well depicted being quite alien and without human sympathy. That's always good, even if by the necessity of sharing the same body they must form an allience of a sort.

I'll keep watching till the end, that's for sure. A very nice addition to this super season of anime.

David75
Wed, 10-08-2014, 03:03 PM
I'm really weak with gory stuff, but for some reason I was able to watch all of the episode without problem.
It's just not the kind of show I want to watch. Nothing more, nothing less.

Atheist
Thu, 10-09-2014, 04:59 AM
Awesome first episode! ;D I'll definitely keep watching this series.

neflight86
Thu, 10-09-2014, 09:47 PM
This is goin' be good. I read the manga a few years back, and if I recall correctly, it was published in the mid-90s? If so, they did an excellent job integrating mobile technology (smartphones and tablets) in such that its was seamless. That is good adaptation work- they left the part in where the hand was reading books on his floor to allow the 'plump' version of the hand to animate shuffling around instead of being static in front of the computer screen. Contemporary (dubstep) and yet classic (those glasses!); I'm expecting greatness from this.

MFauli
Fri, 10-10-2014, 07:44 AM
Ok, I´ll keep watching this one :o

But something I just couldn´t help but feel annoyed at: First, he runs around town with his finger transformed into a penis with an eye ball attached to it. HIDE YOUR FREAK STATUS, boy! And secondly, they´re in a modern Japanese town and it juuuuust so happens that nobody in this densely populated area is watching this battle. j/k

But I can forgive those, I mean, it´s typical for Shounen-anime.

My main fear is if they can keep up the serious tone or if turns into a shallow monster of the week-type of anime. Seeing the super gruesome deaths of those other people and how even their tormented bodies/ leftovers were shown, my hopes are high that none of this will be the case.

KrayZ33
Sat, 10-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Genres: Violence, Parasite, Horror, Sci-fi, Seinen

it´s typical for Shounen-anime

best "shounen" genre-tags ever

MFauli
Sat, 10-11-2014, 03:05 AM
lol, okay, then it´s typical for most anime in general. better? :P

Ryllharu
Sat, 10-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Anyone else notice the bruise/burn on Shinichi's mother's hand at 9:55? Never shown again.

Suspicious as hell.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 10-12-2014, 04:29 AM
Yea, that was really weird.

Pretty great first episode, I'm intrigued.
I like how the parasite is completely logical about their relationship now that they're co-dependent.

David75
Sun, 10-12-2014, 04:36 AM
The parasite really adapts quickly to the language, reads books and all. So it really has superior or at least top tier IQ compared to humans. No wonder it has a clear idea of the situations and acts accordingly, right?

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-19-2014, 03:07 AM
HS - Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=609959)

---------------------------

I'm glad not everything's dark here. That would be rather downing. Even if Migi eventually learns that relocating is 100% possible, I hope that it decides living with Shinichi is the best decision. He'll always be a right-hand, so existing on his own wouldn't ever be possible. If it applies his own logic externally, every other parasyte should only think for its own existence. In the event of a food shortage, the primary would kill off its secondary for survival. Hunting frequently puts you at risk, and the primary parasyte doesn't really need the extra power of the 2nd.

I'm wondering whether the girl's left hand is also a parasyte, or if she simply felt his right wasn't as comfortable.

Kraco
Sun, 10-19-2014, 05:01 AM
I'm wondering whether the girl's left hand is also a parasyte, or if she simply felt his right wasn't as comfortable.

That was actually a pretty nice scene, suggesting she could tell his right hand wasn't so natural. I can also see where your other theory would come from considering she has asked him a couple of times if he's really Shinichi, as if she knew, as well, that there are people who aren't what they seem to be. However, her own arm can't be a parasyte since the parasytes can sense each other's presence. Even if her parasyte would be completely uncooperative, which is unlikely since it would also be trying to survive, Migi would have told Shinichi about it in any case.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-19-2014, 05:05 AM
That was actually a pretty nice scene, suggesting she could tell his right hand wasn't so natural. I can also see where your other theory would come from considering she has asked him a couple of times if he's really Shinichi, as if she knew, as well, that there are people who aren't what they seem to be. However, her own arm can't be a parasyte since the parasytes can sense each other's presence. Even if her parasyte would be completely uncooperative, which is unlikely since it would also be trying to survive, Migi would have told Shinichi about it in any case.

That is true, unless it's asleep. Though if they sense "brainwaves" then maybe being sleep doesn't hide you.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 10-19-2014, 05:46 AM
I was wondering if they were going to animate that boner scene and they did. Though in the manga you could clearly see Migi turning his lower arm into a giant dick. Fun times.

Buffalobiian
Sun, 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM
I was wondering if they were going to animate that boner scene and they did. Though in the manga you could clearly see Migi turning his lower arm into a giant dick. Fun times.

All I can see now is Migi turning into a giant dick while they're holding hands.

MFauli
Wed, 10-22-2014, 02:05 PM
episode 3 is out
-------------------

really enjoying this. although im wary of the all-too-humanized teacher alien. i hope we get a proper explanation for her composed attitude. Being pregnant isnt enough, it doesn´t explain why she´d try to get pregnant to begin with.

Also, I wonder if being pregnant limits her abilities. Afterall, splitting up your body seemingly randomly cannot be good for a "normal baby".

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 10-22-2014, 02:09 PM
I think she is naturally curious just like Migi only isn't as restricted. She too wondered what they are and since she found another of her kind with a male body she wondered if the child would be human or not. Now she knows they are basically just parasites.

Kraco
Wed, 10-22-2014, 02:38 PM
It makes sense they have different sort of personalities and interests considering how intelligent they can be. If they were mindless killing machines, we wouldn't be watching the same story anymore.

It's a good thing Shinichi finally realises he can't be a free passenger forever, especially since he didn't like the idea of following Migi's meat wall plan.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-23-2014, 12:37 AM
It pisses me off how simplistic Shinichi is compared to Migi. I do understand that if Shinichi was the ultimate partner right from the start this show would be rather boring. While it's necessary, it's still frustrating to watch. The teacher seems more tolerant than I am at least. Then again, humans being illogical is an interesting point for her as well.

Also, I wonder if being pregnant limits her abilities. Afterall, splitting up your body seemingly randomly cannot be good for a "normal baby".

Only the core can transform. For Shinichi that means his right hand. For the rest of them it means their head. The body is relatively intact from the neck downwards.

These are parasites, not viruses. The latter put self-replication above all else, including the destruction of the host. The former's success lies in living with the host for as long as possible. The lack of desire to self-replicate indeed makes them different from most animal species from our planet. Ants and such insects have worker subtypes, but these parasytes don't appear to be hive-minded either. There is no inherent structure to their way of life at all.

Kraco
Thu, 10-23-2014, 02:23 AM
It pisses me off how simplistic Shinichi is compared to Migi. I do understand that if Shinichi was the ultimate partner right from the start this show would be rather boring. While it's necessary, it's still frustrating to watch.

I reckon it's like this because Shinichi hates his fate and is being emo about it, telling himself he doesn't deserve to be put through any of this. Such mentality effectively means a person will resist any necessary activity even if the inactivity goes against their own wellbeing. I bet as a doctor you will meet lots of such people during your career.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-23-2014, 08:04 AM
People being illogical? That's the truism of the millennium. I hate it too, but it doesn't make it any less real.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-23-2014, 08:17 AM
People being illogical? That's the truism of the millennium. I hate it too, but it doesn't make it any less real.

It's rather strange. We tend to pride ourselves for being "logical", but somewhere down the line we complain about people being too logical.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-23-2014, 09:09 AM
I recently got that complaint. I don't think there is such a thing as too logical, personally. I'd have a blast with Migi and these creatures.

Wait, they will eat me, so I guess I won't.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-23-2014, 09:44 AM
You're right. There's no such thing as being "too logical", your actions are either logical or not. What people are actually complaining about are morals (or the lack there of), which our actions are based off (logical or not).

Xelbair
Thu, 10-23-2014, 03:21 PM
Morals are not based on logic.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 10-23-2014, 03:38 PM
That's why Buff said "logical or not."

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-30-2014, 02:56 AM
HS - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=616823)

--------------------------

Nooooooo! The mother's going to be turned. :(

Kraco
Thu, 10-30-2014, 04:19 AM
Nooooooo! The mother's going to be turned. :(

That would mean the old man would be eaten. Shinichi would become an orphan. It seems statistically quite unlikely in any case. Would there even be free parasytes anymore? How long would they survive in the wilds without a host? Some critters or ants would eat them or they would starve.

This ep had a few jolly scenes, like Shinichi waking up without an arm at all and the dad's suggestion for explaining Shinichi yelling to the mom.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-30-2014, 04:43 AM
That would mean the old man would be eaten.

The parasyte could be more like Ryouko and decide to camouflage, or it might decide to change heads, since we just talked about it.

The mix between comedy and seriousness is great.

MFauli
Thu, 10-30-2014, 04:17 PM
Regarding Shinichi´s fear for his parents: Couldn´t he tell Migi straight-faced that any scenario in which his parents die, would be followed up by Shinichi killing himself, thus Migi dying, too? Im trying to put myself in his shows, and if I knew some monster was about to murder my family, Id make that overly clear: My parents being killed is not an option. If you kill them, I will reveal the truth to society/the government. I dont care if you threaten to kill or mutilate me. My parents dying = Myself dying. So DO NOT DO IT.

Surely, that should work as a statement against a monster that acts purely on logic.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-30-2014, 04:39 PM
Regarding Shinichi´s fear for his parents: Couldn´t he tell Migi straight-faced that any scenario in which his parents die, would be followed up by Shinichi killing himself, thus Migi dying, too? Im trying to put myself in his shows, and if I knew some monster was about to murder my family, Id make that overly clear: My parents being killed is not an option. If you kill them, I will reveal the truth to society/the government. I dont care if you threaten to kill or mutilate me. My parents dying = Myself dying. So DO NOT DO IT.

Surely, that should work as a statement against a monster that acts purely on logic.

Migi has already said that he's more than capable of controlling Shinichi's actions and stopping him from going to authorities or killing himself. Making Shinichi physically mute (and probably a cripple as well) is not an issue for him. Granted, now that they're being attacked by other parasytes as well may change things up a bit, but it still stands that Migi will take such drastic measures if given an equally drastic threat.

Going with logic, he also understands that Shinichi may be trusted because their cooperation keeps him alive. However, the parents have no real reason to keep their secret on the basis of self preservation.

MFauli
Thu, 10-30-2014, 04:51 PM
i dont see how migi could control shinishi´s action. as long as shinichi has another arm and a functioning brain, he could either kill himself or make contact with other people. even if he fails to do that, his parents and then other people would notice his absence and ultimately his horrible physical state. migi has no chance to keep itself a secret if shinichi doesnt want it to be.

Kraco
Thu, 10-30-2014, 05:03 PM
migi has no chance to keep itself a secret if shinichi doesnt want it to be.

Sure it has if getting revealed and turned into a test subject is the worst choice. Self-destruction might happen first. These things haven't exactly been afraid of death so far. Migi would simply kill Shinichi is nothing else helps and make itself scarce. Besides, Shinichi would still have the girl even if he happened to lose his parents. I'm sure Migi would use that to persuade him.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 10-30-2014, 09:17 PM
i dont see how migi could control shinishi´s action. as long as shinichi has another arm and a functioning brain, he could either kill himself or make contact with other people. even if he fails to do that, his parents and then other people would notice his absence and ultimately his horrible physical state. migi has no chance to keep itself a secret if shinichi doesnt want it to be.

He already said that he can make Shinichi blind, deaf and mute. I'm sure crippling him is also an option. Having Shinichi in a coma or just plain alive is enough for Migi to get by. He's not after quality of life, he's just after survival.

MFauli
Fri, 10-31-2014, 01:03 PM
He already said that he can make Shinichi blind, deaf and mute. I'm sure crippling him is also an option. Having Shinichi in a coma or just plain alive is enough for Migi to get by. He's not after quality of life, he's just after survival.

sure, and doctors examining his body wouldnt find out about mii?

Buffalobiian
Fri, 10-31-2014, 01:21 PM
sure, and doctors examining his body wouldnt find out about mii?

That part wasn't explored, but Migi already said that he could wire up the arm to obey Shinichi's neural input while he slept. That means functionally it's not all that different. A doctor would expose Shinichi to look at his entire body, and perhaps Xray him given he'd like like he suffered from trauma, but I don't expect them to find anything particularly wrong if Migi can at least imitate normal arm structures. If the xray was normal they probably wouldn't CT the arm given that it'd look fine.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-01-2014, 03:44 PM
At least the scar was explained. His mother is a well-developed character. She's not the perfect anime mother archetype, permanently trusting. Instead, she legitimately parents her son, and she has her own level of assertiveness.

Ryoko should have stuck it out a little longer and studied Shinichi's mother during a "Home Visit." She genuinely seems intrigued about what their kind are, she's far more patient than any others we've seen, including Migi. Especially after her body's own mother appeared and spotted her instantly. With Shinichi's mother posing the same kind of question, Ryoko could have learned a lot more about blending in.

In the end, I guess Shinichi is right. The parasites are completely lacking in any level of compassion. They are purely logical beings. Ryoko is interested in study as opposed to a singular focus on, "the directive." I wonder if the host's body has more to do with it than the parasites believe. The most aggressive ones we've seen are all male or animals.

I wonder if another female parasite would be more patient and inquisitive rather than aggressive. Perhaps it is the host body's hormones having an impact on them. Migi is fed by Shinichi's blood, his panic affects them both and makes Migi's offensive abilities suffer. Perhaps Ryoko's host hormones are making her more patient than aggressive? She noticed the baby kicking with an unusual awe instead of her usual cold logic. I wonder how much she will be affected as her pregnancy progresses.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 11-01-2014, 09:21 PM
For something so logical, Ryoko should have came to the conclusion right away that mannerism was what gave away her identity, since her voice and looks are identical.

"Remove what is impossible and what is left must be true, however improbable."

MFauli
Sun, 11-02-2014, 06:29 AM
"Remove what is impossible and what is left must be true, however improbable."

The drones are acting on their own!

MFauli
Wed, 11-05-2014, 07:35 PM
episode 5 is out
-------------------

That was brutal. Didnt expect his parents to die, not so soon anyway. What I hate is how it happened coincidentially. These parasites arent that widespread from what we´ve seen, so they want me to believe that of all the people, it happened to be Shinichi´s parents who encountered another one? Meh.

And I wonder how the dad escaped from the parasite. Even when it wasnt in perfect control of the body, it´s parasite-tentacles seemed to work fine.

And FUCK the black haired girl. Feeling all high and mighty, happily watching how other guys are ganging up on one guy. Real brave, real mature. And then she has the nerve to approach Shinichi for a casual talk. Would have loved to see Shinichi just punching her pretty face. Uargh.

What Im currently looking forward to most is if Shinichi learns to fight. He´s too ... normal right now, relying entirely on Migi. At best he can cause some diversion, but that´s it.

Of course, all of this demands that he survives lol. Although I guess this will be how we´ll find out about his "change".

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-05-2014, 08:26 PM
That was brutal. Didnt expect his parents to die, not so soon anyway.

I saw that coming since last episode, but it still made a huge impact. I was honestly quite annoyed at Shinichi's state of denial because it clashes so much with my own (I am almost too willing to accept fate as it comes - to a fault). At the same time though, that drawn out conversation resulted in tension that wouldn't have been created any other way. Migi's constant warning really hit home that Shinichi's mental state was putting him in real danger.

I have mixed feelings about Shinichi's altruistic acts this episode. I'd be more comfortable with him acting out of concern for his classmate and (girl)friend, but currently it's more like he's doing it simply to prove he is still human. It's comparable to people who seek to be alternative to just to be alternative and anti-mainstream, not because the choice was inherently advantageous or self-satisfying.

The new girl was interesting. I want to know what her deal is. The current state of things also gives less weight to the idea that women parasytes are hormonely regulated to be gentler. The parasyte showed that it completely takes over the brain. Control of the hypothalamus/pituitary should effectively control all hormones that matter.

As for Shinichi's changes, I hope be becomes more able of a combatant with increased reflexes and thought capabilities etc. He needs to get over the fact that these are "monsters" and view them as sentient beings. His reflex reaction about becoming a man-eater irked me. Be proud of you symbiont superhuman powers buddy!

--------------

edit: yesterday I was checking out my hard drive and found that someone had given me the Parasyte manga, so I read the first few pages for comparison. This updated art, especially for Murano - is so much better. Migi's robotic voice also makes the anime superior experience in my opinion.

MFauli
Wed, 11-05-2014, 08:40 PM
I wonder if thanks to the overall changes in Shinichi´s body, he´ll learn to actively control Migi, as if it really was his ability. That´s the only way I see for him to become useful. There´s simply no other way to keep up with those lightning-fast attacks. No matter how much he´d train, he´d always be vastly inferior against another parasite.

I have mixed feelings about Shinichi's altruistic acts this episode. I'd be more comfortable with him acting out of concern for his classmate and (girl)friend, but currently it's more like he's doing it simply to prove he is still human. It's comparable to people who seek to be alternative to just to be alternative and anti-mainstream, not because the choice was inherently advantageous or self-satisfying.

Fully agreed. While it´s too little information to tell if he really wouldjn´t have helped otherwise, the thought of proving Migi wrong definitely gave the final push.

Oh, btw super weird scene: Shinichi was at home with the girl after he helped the class mate. Then at the end of the scene he asks "wanna stay over?" and the girl, without any reaction, smilingly answers "No, I have stuff to do. Bye". wtf. Am I reading this completely wrong, or wasn´t that basically a direct proposal to have sex? Not only was Shinichi not portrayed as someone who´d be so forward, the whole thing was just weird. If it was just Shinichi´s question, I would have thought "okay, Migi´s influence on his psyche is making him less subtle, more confident". But the non-reaction on the girl´s side kinda destroys that possibility.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-05-2014, 09:31 PM
Oh, btw super weird scene: Shinichi was at home with the girl after he helped the class mate. Then at the end of the scene he asks "wanna stay over?" and the girl, without any reaction, smilingly answers "No, I have stuff to do. Bye". wtf. Am I reading this completely wrong, or wasn´t that basically a direct proposal to have sex? Not only was Shinichi not portrayed as someone who´d be so forward, the whole thing was just weird. If it was just Shinichi´s question, I would have thought "okay, Migi´s influence on his psyche is making him less subtle, more confident". But the non-reaction on the girl´s side kinda destroys that possibility.

Well they are on friendly terms. Shinichi certainly didn't say "Do you want to stay overnight", so perhaps it was less sexual than (?perverted) anime watchers are used to. The camera angle certainly pushed us in that direction though.

Migi introduced the idea of having a scouter sussing other enemies out, so even if Shinichi can't react to quick-strikes like Migi can, he can still evaluate enemies and analyse combat situations without Migi's input if he becomes more "animal", so to speak. I just hope he generally becomes smarter and better at fighting, regardless of how it's achieved.

I don't know how I'd feel about having the 'mother' stick around. You could lie to the father and pretend it was all just a dream while teaching the parasyte how to act as Shinichi's mother. In the end killing her won't do anything other than confirm the existence of monsters and stopping that particular one from eating nearby humans. It had enough self control not to eat its partner initially, but right now it seems a bit retarded in the control aspect.

MFauli
Wed, 11-05-2014, 09:44 PM
But it wouldnt be so bad if they world got aware of these monsters by using the dead mother´s body. This way, Migi´s cover isnt blown, but mankind can begin to start doing something against these parasites. Also, Shinichi could start measuring how the people around him react to those monsters. Like, slowly work towards revealing his own physical state in a manner that Migi doesnt have to kill anybody.

The scouter thing was a bit silly much. I mean, what is that number really telling? In the real world, no matter how trained a person is, the wrong blow into the wrong place and even a weaksauce guy can beat a boxing champion. Meaning, the number is completely worthless in a true fight. If this were about a specific sports discipline, then it´d make sense. You can objectively measure someone´s boxing skills. But when it´s free-for-all, it really mostly depends on spontaneous ideas and luck.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-05-2014, 10:08 PM
It's a measure of stamina, weight etc and gives a %chance of winning. Fighting experience and intelligence can also be factored in, though that shouldn't be something you can tell from eyeballing someone.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-06-2014, 12:14 AM
You can, somewhat, by analyzing their movements and stance.

Luck will always be a factor in fights, but it is a minor one. Would you bet on a high schooler sucker punching an MMA champion and winning that fight? Yeah, it is possible, but it is astronomically improbable. The idea that "spontaneous ideas" and "luck" can reliably overcome training and experience is utterly absurd and is obviously an inexperienced (in fighting or martial arts) opinion.

EDIT:

To clarify, I'm simply saying that fighting or combat is not any different from any other activity. It is affected by luck, but honed by training. Natural skill plays a part, but meaningless in the face of practical experience. Those "spontaneous ideas" actually come from experience. Ideas cannot randomly pop out from nowhere. You cannot expect someone to realize that leaping into an armbar is a faster way of disabling someone's arm if they did not even know what an armbar and how to do it was in the first place.

Kraco
Thu, 11-06-2014, 08:13 AM
Shinichi is such a mama's boy. The head bully wasn't thus wrong when he asked if Shinichi is going to tattle to his mom or what. He really need to develop his combat readiness and especially mentality if he intends to survive and keep sticking his nose into other people's business. He would also be far from useless since every single parasyte shares a common weakness: the human body.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-06-2014, 08:19 AM
He really need to develop his combat readiness and especially mentality if he intends to survive and keep sticking his nose into other people's business.

The problem exactly. He tells the thugs to stop, then stands there to be punched. I hate that lack of illogical nature of his. If you're going to pick a fight, either fight or grit your teeth. Standing unguarded is the worst option.

That goes back to his altruism. He wasn't even there to help his friend. He was just there so he could say "Hey look, I spoke up. I'm human!".

The girlfriend matter was different though. He had an aim. "Let go of her. If you don't.." I like this Shinichi much more. His intent to fight was there, reflected by Migi taking arms. I think it was a physiological response that wasn't really controlled by either of them.

Kraco
Thu, 11-06-2014, 09:04 AM
Standing unguarded is the worst option.

That goes back to his altruism. He wasn't even there to help his friend. He was just there so he could say "Hey look, I spoke up. I'm human!".

Too bad standing still and getting punched isn't even human. It's just Japanese. Humans at large have needed to fight for most of their evolution.

The girlfriend incident was indeed more interesting as he started to really get into a fighting mood. However, and ironically, it was hampered by Migi. He would have killed the bully with the Migi arm, which wasn't really what he wanted. So, he suddenly needed to hold back. Good thing the troops arrived right then.

MFauli
Thu, 11-06-2014, 09:15 AM
I don´t think it was unnatural and stupid to stand unprotected against the bullies in the first incident. This was in broad daylight and Shinichi is not used to fighting. In his head it was unthinkable that the guy in front of him would really throw a punch. Of course, letting himself get punched repeatedly was stupid, yeah.

Man, gives me flashback of the Gantz anime, where several episodes consisted of "shoot him!" - "i cant ... i cannot kill someone! Fuck!", when clearly the anime went to great lengths to show how lacking of empathy society is ... yet shooting at an alien starts a moral conflict, lol.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-06-2014, 09:24 AM
In his head it was unthinkable that the guy in front of him would really throw a punch.

No, I think seeing your classmate on the ground tells you the guy in front really will throw a punch.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 11-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I think he was completely against violence at that point. He wanted to stop the bullying but not by resorting to violence of any kind.

This changed when his girl was about to be raped, so he tried to punch them at least.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-06-2014, 11:46 AM
I can understand being against violence. I don't consider guarding or bracing for punches violence though. Shinichi only thought to open his mouth and didn't do angering afterwards.

Archangel
Thu, 11-06-2014, 01:35 PM
This would have been heart wrenching if the OP hadn't spoiled it from the very first episode.

Kraco
Wed, 11-12-2014, 03:14 PM
Episode 6 - HS (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=622557)

- - - - --

Shinichi's haggard and tortured looks were exceptionally successful, as well as his expression when Satomi mentioned his mom. The atmosphere around him was quite melancholic, yet determined. Jolly good.

Migi might need to sleep four hours aday now, but on the other hand Shinichi is so polluted that he's starting to be a force to be reckoned with. Especially if they keep things under wraps so that no enemy expects it.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 11-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Now it is getting good. He's no longer fully human. Everything about him is enhanced. His senses, strength, everything as far as we have seen. Plus now he is actually looking to kill. Fully away that it used to be his mother.

Judging from the preview, it seems Migi isn't the only one who failed to take over completely.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-12-2014, 10:31 PM
Was it the dad who was in the preview? Has he been taken over and Shinichi never noticed because Migi was asleep?

I hope JKS doesn't die.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I hope JKS doesn't die.

Who is JKS?

Now we have to counter-balance the other way and have Shinichi balance out the other way. He's still driven emotionally, but the whole story about him not being able to cry suggests he's now less emotional and human.

What he currently is, is driven one could argue. He suppressed his emotions to reveal Migi and worked out that he needs to keep him by his side in order to protect and avenge. This is a slippery slop now that Migi and Shinichi are sharing features. I wouldn't say that Migi is any closer to taking over Shinichi's mind, but Shinichi is definitely taking on characteristics of a parasyte.

Maybe one day the two would actually be indistinguishable, at which point Migi would evaluate the risk of a takeover is zero. At the same time however, he'd grow so sentimental that he'd rather keep their symbiotic relationship as it is.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Who is JKS?

JoshiKouSei.

JK also works.

So does High school girl.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 11-12-2014, 11:07 PM
Ah, yes. Or is she middle school?

Anyway, I don't want her to die either. When she was cut off mid-sentence this episode (the subs precede the voice), I was half expecting Shinichi to jump, and half expecting a parasyte to come in and kill her. The fact that she's interested in Shinichi doesn't help. It makes killing her all the more convenient.

Kraco
Thu, 11-13-2014, 02:42 AM
Now we have to counter-balance the other way and have Shinichi balance out the other way. He's still driven emotionally, but the whole story about him not being able to cry suggests he's now less emotional and human.

Nah. That doesn't fully indicate one way or another about the human quality of his mentality. The parasytes haven't yet done anything that would make them more monstrous than humans. It's such a cliche, but it's true. Shinichi probably won't easily be able to cry before he has dealt with the parasyte that stole his mother's body. It's quite a natural reaction, and no stranger than crying before doing anything about it, especially when he knows perfectly what's going on, unlike his old man. It also doesn't help that he earlier changed his opinion and blessed his parents' trips.

MFauli
Fri, 11-14-2014, 12:38 PM
That episode was fantastic. At first I wasnt sure if its okay to like it, since I was contemplating if Shinichi´s change in character was reasonable. But then I decided that it was. And man, that final scene when he rushes from the hospital to the beach. The music, the scene where he jumps, how he´s running with his right hand transformed into claws ready to slash away. That was masterfully done.

I dont watch previews, but that person he was about to face didn´t look like his mom from the little we could see (back of the head). Wonder if it really is.

Only complaint: That one girl from school is pretty much confirmed to be his love interest, so it sucks that Makiko-chan is destined to be a side-character. Totally like her, the typical "random strange girl from the countryside"-clichee :> Would prefer Shinichi to start hanging out with her. Instead, I guess she´ll die soon ...

And one final note: I stand by my earlier posting that Shinichi should sit down with Migi and clearly tell it what he really wants. Like, having his dad stay alive. His close friends. Stuff like that. Even if Migi is revealed to them. I feel that could be easily reasoned with, by pure logic.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 11-14-2014, 12:52 PM
That one girl from school is pretty much confirmed to be his love interest, so it sucks that Makiko-chan is destined to be a side-character. Totally like her, the typical "random strange girl from the countryside"-clichee :> Would prefer Shinichi to start hanging out with her.

I call this animal attraction. ;)

neflight86
Fri, 11-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Very good episode and so much got done! Healing, transformation, introducing a new character and objective, the hospital scene... So fast without feeling rushed. More old (complete) manga should be adapted by such capable hands; it would make the world a better place.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 11-14-2014, 04:57 PM
Capable hands are rare.

EDIT: My sig is distracting me too much.

Archangel
Sat, 11-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Again the OP ruins more than a few things regarding the faith of this girl. I'm also a fan of this chemical induced character development, this is shaping out to be the best show of the season and possibly the whole year.

MFauli
Wed, 11-19-2014, 02:45 PM
episode 7 is out
-----------------

Okay, the parasite cells are already influencing his personality. That "yo!" at the end wasn´t the same Shinichi we got to know. I feel kinda conflicted about how to react to that. If Shinichi is actually self-aware of his attitude change, then it´s okay. But if its a case of a true change that happens silently, without our hero being aware of it, it´s basically the same as the original hero being dead. And I dont like that idea.

Also I think Shinichi was too strong. Last episode he could run slightly faster and jump somewhat higher than a normal human being. But I didnt expect him to be fast enough to evade a parasite´s lightning-fast tentacle attacks.

As for Uda-san, I had hoped that his parasite would also fuse with his heart, becoming the same being that Shinichi became then. Oh well.

One complaint for last: Please no harem :/ Wtf was that at the end. First he has clearly conquered the beach town-girl. Then the random sensor-girl got all flustered. And then he was greeted by his "girlfriend". Please dont do this. I like this anime a lot. No harem shit.

Kraco
Wed, 11-19-2014, 03:09 PM
Okay, the parasite cells are already influencing his personality. That "yo!" at the end wasn´t the same Shinichi we got to know. I feel kinda conflicted about how to react to that. If Shinichi is actually self-aware of his attitude change, then it´s okay. But if its a case of a true change that happens silently, without our hero being aware of it, it´s basically the same as the original hero being dead. And I dont like that idea.

He was a wussy in the beginning, so he needed to grow some balls, even if they were parasyte balls. He was also too weak to realistically survive continuous encounters with full parasytes. If it takes a forced personality change to the point of declaring the old Shinichi dead and a new one born, then so be it. It's the price to pay to get us a hero instead of a loser who couldn't even survive.

Managing to fight with the mom-monster wasn't necessarily a stretch. Uda's parasyte also noted her attacks were without inspiration and easy to read. So, basically she was doing half of Shinichi's job for him. This and earlier fights make me think full parasytes are in fact less intelligent, in practice, than failed ones. They have it so easy that they never needed to struggle or try to compensate for anything, making them less resourceful and adaptive in battles. This was apparently Uda's parasyte's first fight (since he was delighted to see how full ones look like), yet he did remarkably well.

It'll be interesting to see if the girlfriend can accept the change in Shinichi. It's like she started to date a semishy nerd, but suddenly finds she's dating a semitough guy, haha.

MFauli
Wed, 11-19-2014, 03:14 PM
He was a wussy in the beginning, so he needed to grow some balls, even if they were parasyte balls. He was also too weak to realistically survive continuous encounters with full parasytes. If it takes a forced personality change to the point of declaring the old Shinichi dead and a new one born, then so be it. It's the price to pay to get us a hero instead of a loser who couldn't even survive.

Just to be clear: Im not opposed to characters developing and changing themselves. It´s a common element of most adventure stories. However, if you take a hero, have an outside source change his character, and then have this "hero" go on as if nothing happened to him, that´s the same as killing of the hero and replacing him by a whole other character.

If all you happen to care is action, Kraco, then I can understand your point. But I watch these shows for their story and their atmosphere, I like to fully immerse myself as if I was part of the story. Thus, this episode made me feel as if I was killed. :/ There´s no more Shinichi as I knew him. I doesnt matter if the new Shinichi is "better". What matters is that the old one seems to be (partially?) gone.

Kraco
Wed, 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
I guess I can get your point if you honestly liked the old Shinichi. However, from my point of view all those eps before now were like an introduction with a pre-hero, and the real hero, the real Shinichi, is what we finally have now. This is the real Shinichi, not the dolt in the first episodes. Kind of like in some movies where we first have a happy main character, then get a time jump, and finally get the real asskicking main character (for example Conan the Barbarian). The time skip just didn't really happen in this show.

MFauli
Wed, 11-19-2014, 03:45 PM
I doesnt matter if I liked the old Shinichi or not, that´s the point. I like proper continuity, and I like for a hero to stay the same person. Imagine it like this: For five episodes, your hero is Shinji. Then a parasite enters his body and he becomes Naruto. Would that be fun to watch? Maybe. But it would absolutely suck in terms of atmosphere and continuity. It´s like the author suddenly became bored of his creation and hit the reset button ... exclusively for the hero.

Edit: GODDAM, Shinta, I think ill have to change my sig pic. It´s too hot :>

shinta|hikari
Wed, 11-19-2014, 11:09 PM
Don't think of it as Shinichi dying. He had so much crap happening to him in such a short period of time. Such things change people. The parasite cells just aided in that transformation. I'm pretty sure his core remains the same, otherwise this story would lose its protagonist.

I think the term harem is misused. A number of girls liking a guy is actually quite normal if the guy is actually likable. I doubt those 3 girls will start hanging around him at the same time, so it should be fine.

@EDIT: I'm having the same problem with my waki set right now.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-20-2014, 08:08 AM
I have my fingers crossed that he doesn't turn into some asshole. "Yo" is not a good start but I'll wait and see. Shinichi being capable was good to see however, and he really needs to be if he is to stand a chance against Ryouko. Thing is, now that parasytes are much less of a threat now with a powered up Shinichi, we'll need something else to keep this suspenseful.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 11-20-2014, 01:59 PM
Earlier on it was mentioned by A that the two parasites could share the body. So I'm sure we'll see more of those types soon.

Kraco
Thu, 11-20-2014, 03:17 PM
It doesn't take anything fancier than two full parasytes cooperating to make things considerably harder for Shinichi. We have already seen the parasytes don't have anything in particular against other parasytes in normal control of the host. They also do have intelligence, even if they aren't pushed as far as Migi to use it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-20-2014, 11:47 PM
But parasytes are selfish in their nature and will only look out for their own self interest (and that of the host if it also aligns). For a body with two parasytes, the increased ability would be accompanied by increased doubt between itself, especially when the situation calls for one being sacrificed.

Kraco
Fri, 11-21-2014, 02:52 AM
They don't need to share a body. We have already seen two parasytes can cooperate to the point of trying to reproduce. Shinichi doesn't fortunately have much of a reputation, even if he has left a single loose end hanging around in the female teacher's parasyte. However, if two parasytes get interested in Migi's signal at the same time, something as simple as that could lead to a situation where he would need to fight two enemies simultaneously.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I doesnt matter if I liked the old Shinichi or not, that´s the point. I like proper continuity, and I like for a hero to stay the same person. Imagine it like this: For five episodes, your hero is Shinji. Then a parasite enters his body and he becomes Naruto. Would that be fun to watch? Maybe. But it would absolutely suck in terms of atmosphere and continuity. It´s like the author suddenly became bored of his creation and hit the reset button ... exclusively for the hero.
Because being an active participant in murdering Mr. A, finding out your mother was killed by a parasite, then killing that parasite doesn't change a person in any way...

It wouldn't matter if he became super-human or was still using a sharpened metal pipe like before.

His would-be girlfriend has been asking if he's the same person for a long time. The experiences Shinichi has gone through have changed him. Make him a more confident person, tortured him, broken him, and brought him closure on his mother's untimely death. He's changed. People change.

That's what I love about this show. Humans are shaped by their experiences. No one ever stays static.

MFauli
Sat, 11-22-2014, 02:57 PM
You´re completely ignoring that his blood is running parasite-dna and influencing him. And that his casual behavior has completely changed, too, according to that "yo!" at the episode´s end.

Ryllharu
Sat, 11-22-2014, 04:42 PM
A) That's a huge assumption. It's also just a fear of his. There's no proof one way or the other.
B) That's a huge assumption based on a single casual phrase. Does a character's personality change just because they say "Hey," instead of "Hello..."?

You're completely discounting the changes throughout the series. Would the Shinichi we know from episode 1 defend a classmate he doesn't really like who has been a total asshole to him? Would he get the shit kicked out of him to protect Murano from probably getting raped? Would he be confident enough to talk to girls? Would he stab another parasite in the heart to save his own life?

Nah...there's no way he would have done any of that before Migi put 30% of his cells into Shinichi's body.

Give me a break.

Kraco
Wed, 11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Episode 8 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=627732) | 9 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=627743) - HS

- - - - -- - --

Suddenly a double release! Of course I didn't realise it at first and only downloaded the latter, noticing it first when scrolling down releases. So, I watched first episode 9 and was thinking all the time this is a weird place for a time skip...

Shinichi really changed. It's quite a big change, no shit, but if you think of it in terms of novelty, it's interesting. You don't usually see changes like this, and this even has a good foundation. The natural one of the shock of getting infected by an alien parasite and then getting his mom killed by another monster. And the unnatural one becoming mixed blood between a human and an alien. It would be weirder if he didn't change. I think it's especially good that he has troubles realising it himself. It's like a genuinely crazy person doesn't realise he's crazy. Still, the dog scene felt really forced. Like the dog got hit by a car right then and there only to create a situation where Shinichi would unintentionally spook Murano.

Jolly episodes all in all. Looks like the world isn't quite as ignorant as it seemed. I remember hardly any details from the manga, but since I was left with a good general impression, I don't think there's any reason to worry this more Vulcan Shinichi would be unable to provide any thrill.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-27-2014, 03:53 AM
It's weird that Shinichi can't even compare his current self to his past self though. He thinks it's "normal", but I think he should be intellectual enough to actually realise how "illogical" his past actions were.

Regarding the antennae girl, I thought it would be hilarious if she ran into Tamiya Ryouko and would be forced to wonder if she was bisexual.

Kraco
Thu, 11-27-2014, 05:25 AM
Regarding the antennae girl, I thought it would be hilarious if she ran into Tamiya Ryouko and would be forced to wonder if she was bisexual.

That wouldn't unfortunately work anymore because Shinichi told her she's sensing dangerous people, not love compatible ones.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 11-27-2014, 07:47 AM
That wouldn't unfortunately work anymore because Shinichi told her she's sensing dangerous people, not love compatible ones.

I wouldn't have said she'd believe that (under normal circumstances), but the beginning of episode 09 showed otherwise.

MFauli
Sat, 11-29-2014, 10:57 AM
So Shinichi is dead.

It´s not that it´s a deal breaker, ruining the anime or such. However, it changes this from a character-driven story to a plot-driven story. It´s no longer about Shinichi, it´s now about observing how the parasites and humans will deal with each other. That´s intersting, too, but it´s kinda sad to see our hero gone. Unless he can somehow return himself back to normal, preferably mentally only.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 11-30-2014, 06:25 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Shinichi will try to start thinking how to act human after a while just to fit in again.

MFauli
Wed, 12-03-2014, 03:36 PM
episode 10 is out
--------------------------

I love the method to identify parasytes. It´s so simple, yet entirely believable based upon what we had seen before. Fantastic, intelligent writing.

Shinichi seems to regain some of his human emotions, starting from the moment he saw all the bloody corpses in the school hallway. He also made a friendlier impression to me during the ending scene. Seeing how this anime actually makes use of well-thought out explanations, I can think of a number of reasons for a return to normal.

I didnt like, however, that Shinichi still keeps it all a secret from everyone. Even if there´s Migi´s unwillingness, I still believe that could be overcome by reason. And I sooo want him to tell Murano why he´s been acting so differently. Hell, he could just tell her noe that his mother was killed by one of these monsters. She´d be totally understanding.

Kraco
Wed, 12-03-2014, 05:26 PM
I love the method to identify parasytes. It´s so simple, yet entirely believable based upon what we had seen before. Fantastic, intelligent writing.

The man with few hairs left wasn't amused. Not amused at all.

I didnt like, however, that Shinichi still keeps it all a secret from everyone. Even if there´s Migi´s unwillingness, I still believe that could be overcome by reason. And I sooo want him to tell Murano why he´s been acting so differently. Hell, he could just tell her noe that his mother was killed by one of these monsters. She´d be totally understanding.

It's quite natural he might hesitate to tell his love interest that he's a monster hybrid. Even though he's basically hiding something he shouldn't hide, and can't hide, in the long run, it's still something that would be hard to tell. It's also a factor that he might not dare to really trust in his chances to maintain a long romance in any case, under these circumstances, so why not get whatever he can get out of it while he still can?

After rewatching the scene of Shinichi shortly meeting Murano before heading for the hospital I believe Murano guessed the mom is gone, the dad wounded. He's, probably, not the kind of guy who would try to score sympathy points anymore. Assuming he even could with his stunted emotions.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-03-2014, 10:37 PM
Parasyte keeps things so tense, and then turns it around at the end to give it all a nice warm feeling. I love this show.

I don't know if you guys watch the previews but... damn.

Shinichi's comment about these parasytes only wanting to kill each other was spoken without knowledge, but he does make a good point that when these cells aren't kept in check they become animalistic. That said, that's the case with all living beings. The main cerebrum developed on top of our midbrain is what allows us to control our emotions and have logical thought. All sentient beings actually are animals in check. Whether it's a mellow of vicious animal underneath is another story however.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-11-2014, 12:39 AM
HS - Episode 11 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=633154)

---------------------------

This episode didn't turn out to be as dangerous as I thought it was going to be. Pulling hair was certainly a great way to identify parasytes... and get yourself killed by them. The government rejoiced too much when they found out about this method. They declared war without actually having a good countermeasure. Identifying them isn't the same as weeding them out into a group that you can target with conventional weaponry.

I'm really liking Kana more and more. She's right about Murano losing Shinichi due to her doubts as well. In fact, right now I feel that Kana is the only one who can accept Shinichi for who he is is accepting Shinichi because of who he is. Murano avoids his right hand while she grabbed it without much thought immediately post-transformation, albeit in a dream. Murano is trying way too hard to get the old Shinichi back.

Just going back to the whole hair thing, Shinichi still has little bits of Migi's cells throughout his body. Kana made a point of keeping his hair in her hanky - I think at some point she'll open it up to find minor changes that suggest (but not diagnostic for) a parasytic entity.

MFauli
Thu, 12-11-2014, 01:16 AM
Regarding Murano waning the old Shinichi back, I dont think shes wrong there. The "new Shinichi" is a sick Shinichi, someone with a serious disease, so to speak. And as this and the prpevious episode show, Shinichi IS fighting back. He has the short bursts of true human emotion, his body feeling like burning up from the inside and all. At some point, I think, "old Shinichi" will return. Of course, all the experience will have changed that Shinichi, too, but it will be a normal mind change, like it can happen to all of us, instead of a forced, physical change.

Regarding the "love triangle": Kana is hotter. You chose poorly, Shinichi.

Im also wondering when we´ll see proper counter measures from "normal" human beings, like police/military forces. As of now, a single parasyte could annihilate a whole town by itself.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-11-2014, 01:29 AM
I don't think she's 'wrong' either in that there is not 'right' or 'wrong'. However, I do think it's not a very fruitful outlook. There's nothing to suggest that Shinichi, or any changed person rather, is expected to change back. She takes no active part in it either besides questioning him.

There's nothing wrong with wanting Shinichi to be kinder like is old self. The problem here is that she's rejecting all else. She's merely keeping Shinichi around hoping he'd turn back. A better approach would be hope or strive for that while accepting real world results (that Shinichi may never be who he is was again, and still taking that in).

Say if your partner had a stroke, you may hope that they recover. However, to reject their current state or and not considering them to be the same person (and therefore not love them?) just leads to ruin.

The last episode suggested chemical warfare to be a good way to disrupt them. I also noticed that the parasyte here also had superior capabilities similar to Shinichi. It stands to reason that the parasyte's cells were spread out to augment the body, along with any pros and cons that brings.

I'd hate to think that they get this upgrade for free. Shinichi/Migi's trump card is that the human is stronger than expected (and should be stronger than a parasyte's human host), at the cost of Migi requiring sleep and possibly being more emotional.

Kraco
Thu, 12-11-2014, 03:52 AM
I'd hate to think that they get this upgrade for free. Shinichi/Migi's trump card is that the human is stronger than expected (and should be stronger than a parasyte's human host), at the cost of Migi requiring sleep and possibly being more emotional.

Migi had to replace a destroyed heart. I doubt the muscle parasyte needed to replace anything, taking over healthy victim. While it would naturally lose cells spreading all over the body to make it a terminator like we saw, the weakness generated would probably be lesser than in the Shinichi/Migi case.

The hair fad really is stupid. The council didn't think it through at all. It does nothing but generate more victims. It might make the parasytes a bit more nervous (or would if they had emotions), but that's all. They will still go around because they need to eat humans. Now they will simply kill also people whom they weren't planning to kill originally. They might even need to kill a whole bunch if there were a group of people present.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-11-2014, 08:17 AM
Migi had to replace a destroyed heart. I doubt the muscle parasyte needed to replace anything, taking over healthy victim.

Migi only temporarily replaced Shinichi's heart tissue until it replaced its own. I really don't think there is a significant chunk of 'Migi' stuck as Shinichi's heart like you're suggesting. In his words, he said that "the repaired heart was too strong" and his fragments were not able to make it back to his right hand. Instead, they were scattered.

In other words, their job was the provide the scaffolding to repair Shinichi's heart. Once their job was done, their mantra was to return to his right hand. Presumably the blood flow was too strong or something and the fragments were no longer able to navigate the bloodstream under their own power.

All 30% that Migi has 'lost' is distributed throughout Shinichi and enhancing his performance. If another parasyte was to have the same performance, they should need to pay the same price. Shinichi's heart doesn't hold a significant chunk of parasytic cells from the repair.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 12-24-2014, 05:58 PM
Horriblesubs Ep 12 1080p (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=638202)

---------------------------------

Well shit.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 12-24-2014, 08:58 PM
Kana was both interesting and good eye candy, letting a human into the game of parasytes and all. Typical teenage girl downfall..

What a sad christmas. :(

Archangel
Thu, 12-25-2014, 01:15 AM
We keep going to that point of how he can't cry, which really can either be from the parasyte cells within him or the shock of losing his mother which personally i think he hasn't dealt with yet. The way they leave that question in the open is really great, it leaves you thinking. It's a shame Kana died but you can't argue with this level of character development.

AOTY, definitely.

Edit: And possibly OST of the year as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afs4EfLyTzI

You're welcome (http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/18891956/file.html)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-25-2014, 03:42 AM
The death of his mother marked the first personal loss from a parasyte. At this point, I don't think he can "get over" it any more than he has. Having killed the parasyte responsible, the only way for him to come to a full resolution to either eliminate all parasyte threats, or accept them as part of society. This is especially the case since Migi now has to sleep, so Shinichi will always have a window where he can only protect people within his immediate vicinity.

Archangel
Thu, 12-25-2014, 03:32 PM
The death of his mother marked the first personal loss from a parasyte. At this point, I don't think he can "get over" it any more than he has. Having killed the parasyte responsible, the only way for him to come to a full resolution to either eliminate all parasyte threats, or accept them as part of society. This is especially the case since Migi now has to sleep, so Shinichi will always have a window where he can only protect people within his immediate vicinity.
That's not how denial and shock work but ok

Kraco
Thu, 12-25-2014, 04:50 PM
It's so damn realistic how Kana was completely certain she could tell Shinichi apart from everybody else - only to fail in the most horrible and unlucky way possible. She should have known better, considering she headed out just a night or two earlier believing the random woman-parasyte was Shinichi. Love is blind[ness].

I like the combination of developed characters dying and Shinichi's cold despair due to his emotional changes and the fact he really can't do all that much, especially with Migi disagreeing so often. Their common ground is surprisingly lacking considering they are inseparable and constantly in dire situations (and naturally the main character or characters of the show).

MFauli
Thu, 12-25-2014, 05:28 PM
So am I the only one being surprised about Migi´s lack of reaction to Shinichi revealing its secret to Kana? All it took was a "she won´t tell anybody" and that´s it.

Either Migi changed, like Shinichi changed, too. Or, and that´s where I currently stand, Migi somehow played a role in Kana´s death, somehow leading her and the other parasyte into each other.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 12-25-2014, 05:44 PM
I doubt Migi had anything to do with it. It would mean that he could transmit signals from another place.
But I think his reaction had more to do with the fact that he already thought Shinichi might have already told her or done something.

Archangel
Thu, 12-25-2014, 06:12 PM
So am I the only one being surprised about Migi´s lack of reaction to Shinichi revealing its secret to Kana? All it took was a "she won´t tell anybody" and that´s it.

Either Migi changed, like Shinichi changed, too. Or, and that´s where I currently stand, Migi somehow played a role in Kana´s death, somehow leading her and the other parasyte into each other.

That's an aggressively stupid post, Shinichi made a clear and coherent point which Migi accepted. It's in both of their best interests to cooperate with each other as much as possible.

MFauli
Thu, 12-25-2014, 06:17 PM
That's an aggressively stupid post, Shinichi made a clear and coherent point which Migi accepted. It's in both of their best interests to cooperate with each other as much as possible.

He could have made the same argument for telling his parents or other people. I even went to lenghts to explain that several weeks ago. You told me why Migi wouldn´t agree to that. Now about a single sentence excused Shinichi´s disobedience. I mean, come on.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 12-25-2014, 08:11 PM
That's not how denial and shock work but ok

He's not in denial nor shock. What he is, is logical. A few episodes ago his dad was in denial and shock.

He could have made the same argument for telling his parents or other people. I even went to lenghts to explain that several weeks ago. You told me why Migi wouldn´t agree to that. Now about a single sentence excused Shinichi´s disobedience. I mean, come on.

The fact that Kana can actually sense them puts her in a different category. For one, Migi can tell that even though Shinichi has told Kana about him, Kana isn't avoiding him nor seeing him as a monster. Getting emotional and upset that Shinichi told Kana doesn't solve anything either. Migi has to accept it, or kill Kana.

Xelbair
Fri, 12-26-2014, 05:39 AM
I think that this episode set a new world record of death flags set.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 12-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Edit: And possibly OST of the year as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afs4EfLyTzI

You're welcome (http://www38.zippyshare.com/v/18891956/file.html)

I match your link and raise it by lossless.

[ASL]_Arai_Ken_-_Kiseijuu_Sei_no_Kakuritsu_Original_Soundtrack_[FLAC].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=639197)
[ASL]_Arai_Ken_-_Kiseijuu_Sei_no_Kakuritsu_Original_Soundtrack_[MP3].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=639196)

[ASL]_Miura_Daichi_-_Kiseijuu_Sei_no_Kakuritsu_ED_-_ITS_THE_RIGHT_TIME_[FLAC].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=636054)
[ASL]_Miura_Daichi_-_Kiseijuu_Sei_no_Kakuritsu_ED_-_ITS_THE_RIGHT_TIME_[MP3].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=636053)

Buffalobiian
Thu, 01-15-2015, 07:42 AM
Damn that was disappointing. The full OP didn't sound as good as I hoped it would :(

[ASL]_Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas_-_Kiseijuu_Sei_no_Kakuritsu_OP_-_Let_Me_Hear_[FLAC].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=643306)
[ASL]_Fear_and_Loathing_in_Las_Vegas_-_Kiseijuu_Sei_no_Kakuritsu_OP_-_Let_Me_Hear_[MP3].rar (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=643305)

Episode 13 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=642889), 14 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=645396).

-------------------------------

Tamiya Ryouko being able to laugh now is creepy and undesirable. Migi became more human in an understanding way while Ryouko just because crazy, batshit way. It's largely due to Shinichi being a constant moral guide. Migi comes up with ideas and Shinichi tells him the human's perspective. Since the two coexist, Migi learns that some options that sound good to him are unacceptable by Shinichi's standards and ends up discarding them. Ryouko doesn't have this feedback and goes about her ways. The best word to describe her difference is inconsideration.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-15-2015, 10:03 AM
I wonder why Ryouko changed her hold of the baby when facing Shinichi. It would be hilarious if the conversed while she holds the kid like a kitten.

Kraco
Thu, 01-15-2015, 12:30 PM
I wonder why Ryouko changed her hold of the baby when facing Shinichi. It would be hilarious if the conversed while she holds the kid like a kitten.

She probably knows how a baby is supposed to be held but simply doesn't bother every time. Since she's so academically interested in Shinichi, though, I imagine she wanted to initially hold the baby normally in front of him. After all, the conversation might have had a different kind of start if she had still had the baby in the bizarre hanging grip.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-16-2015, 04:40 AM
I can't make much sense of it. If she's aware of how people see her when she grips the baby by the clothes, surely it should affect her behaviour around normal humans. She's smart enough to not draw attention to herself. You'd think she would be more observant of such things after the mother of the real Tamiya Ryouko saw through her despite everything.

Kraco
Fri, 01-16-2015, 05:54 AM
It's offhandedly calculated. The random people don't mean anything to her. So, she only bothers to act more like a human in front of those humans she really interacts with. Most people don't know of parasytes, so they wouldn't initially think a woman carrying her baby in a wrong way is a real monster. They might wonder about it, some might say something, a few might eventually even report her to the authorities, but in the end that only happens rarely and mostly if they see her doing it more than once. Let's not forget it takes her effort to act even remotely like a human and trying to do it continuously might distract her from more important stuff.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-16-2015, 06:47 AM
You think she has to act more like a human in front of Shinichi who knows she isn't human, but doesn't give a fuck about other humans watching her?

That carrying a baby in two hands takes effort and might distract her from more important stuff?

Most people don't know of parasytes

Actually, I think they do. Especially after the hair-pulling trend.

Kraco
Fri, 01-16-2015, 08:33 AM
You think she has to act more like a human in front of Shinichi who knows she isn't human, but doesn't give a fuck about other humans watching her?

Yeah. Because she's interested in Shinichi. She wanted to meet him, so I don't think she would try to stop the meeting before it even began by making him concentrate on the poor handling of the baby. I reckon she also wanted to confuse him by looking like a proper mother. One kind of a shield already, even if the inhuman literal baby shield was more effective in the end.

That carrying a baby in two hands takes effort and might distract her from more important stuff?

We just saw the evidence in this episode that she doesn't necessarily naturally carry the baby with such a loving care a human would. She just carried the baby like any baggage. Who knows what happened between the auditorium and the roof? Maybe she noticed all the stared and finally realised the carrying method was all wrong.

Actually, I think they do. Especially after the hair-pulling trend.

Nah, didn't the council of geezers decide that it would be too dangerous to alert the whole nation and thus they only started the trend? If everybody knew, there's no way the private detective wouldn't have known. It'd be his business to know such things. But instead he could hardly believe his own eyes and didn't expect Ryouko to believe when he reported back.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-16-2015, 09:49 AM
I think I'll apply Occam's razor here and go with Ryouko not wanting to antagonize Shinichi, who she knows acts very human, by holding her baby in a weird way. She wanted to discuss, after all.

MFauli
Fri, 01-16-2015, 03:20 PM
I think it simply wasnt meant to be of significance when Ryouko held the baby at its clothes. If it was and she´s found out because of it, Id agree shes being careless and stupid. But as of now, Ill assume that it was meant more for us, the audience, to get another glimpse at her ruthless behavior towards her baby, rather than to introduce a future flaw in her disguise.

My two hopes for the future:
1.) The detective not being killed any time soon. I want him to be more fleshed out. Let him be Runge-san.
2.) Shinichi making a push to help ruining the opposing parasytes. No more hiding and doubting.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 01-16-2015, 07:04 PM
Maybe she doesn't understand herself as well as she thinks she does. She seems to be rather surprised of her own actions, like the laughing. Maybe she isn't even aware she carried the baby differently around him.

Kraco
Wed, 02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Episode 18 - HS

- ---- -- - - -

That fapping scene... No corners cut in seinen. It did a lot to make the criminal seem more like a sexually oriented serial killer. The police officers would have been so lucky if they had got Kana instead of this dude. Still, I can't blame them for wondering why on Earth Shinichi seems to be always there when shit happens.

I'm so happy I remember so little of the manga.

MFauli
Wed, 02-11-2015, 03:26 PM
Dat cliffhanger >_<

I hope shit gets finally done. Ive said from the beginning, Shinichi should have convinced Migi to let itself be revealed. Much easier to work from there.

Not sure why Tamura had to die, though. Whatever message about humanity she intended to deliver to Shinichi must fall flat after the fact of 30times murder. lol

Kraco
Wed, 02-11-2015, 03:58 PM
Much easier to work from there.

Work what? Migi isn't working on anything. He's just existing and teaching himself about the world, civilization, humans, and his own kind. Getting revealed certainly wouldn't help that goal at all. In fact it wouldn't serve even Shinichi that well. It's not like the officials would let a unique sample like Shinichi wander around and continue anything resembling a normal life even under the best of circumstances. Sure, he could tell himself he sacrificed himself for the sake of humanity, but apart from meaningless feelings of martyrdom, that would grant him absolutely nothing as a reward. He might as well be looking at an alternative universe mirror when staring at the pervert prisoner, seeing the version of himself that went to the officials.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-11-2015, 09:39 PM
That was bloody hilarious. All the better that the female staff member was took it in her stride.

I have a feeling that the telepath will let Shinichi off. If he really is a telepath, then he should know that things worth both ways. Shinishi's Fuck Off message may get to him as long as he stays calm instead of freaking out like he wants to there.

Reiko is probably tired at this point. Her kind is at odds with her (at least some of them) so she isn't in a position to direct their course of action anymore. She also discovered that she can't further their cause either because she refuses to experiment with the baby.

Not sure why Tamura had to die, though. Whatever message about humanity she intended to deliver to Shinichi must fall flat after the fact of 30times murder. lol

She did take 20+ rounds, but her fragility and "Thank you" certainly were not lost to Migi at least. Appreciation isn't an animal concept at least according to him. You should be confused about someone's altruism, then take advantage of it. Her time with the baby and thoughts have made her more human than Migi is. The latter converses with Shinichi, but never moved beyond the idea of helping his kind survive. That's understandable since his "kind" only barely extends to the other hybrid.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 02-18-2015, 11:23 PM
HS - Episode 19 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=657590)

--------------------

LOLOL, a filter for non-human material? That's the aspect of this show that's required the biggest suspension of disbelief so far. The hair-pulling trick was good. This is an ass-pull.

Shinichi should appear somewhat translucent in in that scan overall, but if they get his whole body they'd find his right arm to be completely see-through. However, Migi's also been gradually humanised as well. I wouldn't expect such behaviour if he was simply 70% of the original Migi.. so does that suggest he's actually 70/30 Parasyte/human tissue? Hard to say.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-19-2015, 01:13 AM
You know what's funny? A simple X-ray should have done the trick. The parasytes don't copy the bones and internal structures. They only mimic the surface, obvious when they split open their heads when attacking.

Kraco
Thu, 02-19-2015, 03:13 AM
Uhh... I thought it was a simple X-ray scan? What was it then? Surely the "filter for non-human material" was just a fancy name for the perfectly ordinary machine (the world of marketing is full of exquisite names for the same old shit)... Although I suppose it might be also some application of a different wavelength. It would hardly be the first fiction story to depict a scanner that could do what x-ray, infrared, MRI, and others could do combined. They were checking for the skeleton and almost immediately found a woman walking without a skull inside her head. Very plain and simple, no super filters needed. I'd expect the parasytes to actually be able to fake a skull if they knew it'd be necessary. It seems like even the military types didn't think of putting Shinichi through the scanner. Now that Migi knows of it, he'd probably build the bones when necessary.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-19-2015, 09:25 AM
I wanted to believe the same but rewatched it. I confirmed the Japanese script saying something along the lines of "a machine that filters out any material with human DNA."

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM
Just a fancy way of saying X-Ray scan.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-19-2015, 11:08 AM
Except it isn't?

They specifically mentioned human DNA. X-Ray doesn't give a shit if it's human or not.

Kraco
Thu, 02-19-2015, 11:56 AM
Except it isn't?

They specifically mentioned human DNA. X-Ray doesn't give a shit if it's human or not.

Did that look like a DNA scan to you? A DNA scan is either a pattern of lines for a comparative analysis, like a fingerprint, or ultimately a nucleotide sequence. A DNA scan doesn't show you a shape of a person and their skeleton. In the first place depending on the environment, diseases, and nutrition, the same DNA could produce two different kind of human shapes and skeletons. We probably won't have the kind of technology before a distant future that it could instantly predict the adult shape of an individual organism simply from the DNA.

Let's just say this was a minor error in an otherwise excellent series. Nothing to worry about. Especially when what we actually saw (the x-ray scan) made perfect sense. The machine was x-ray (or similar), the filter was the human operating it! When you saw the x-ray of a living, normal looking person without a skull inside their head, you can say at least the head portion probably doesn't have human DNA.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-19-2015, 11:59 AM
Kraco, that's what the guy said. I'm not making it up nor do I want it to be like that. It is what it is.

MFauli
Thu, 02-19-2015, 01:05 PM
Kraco, that's what the guy said. I'm not making it up nor do I want it to be like that. It is what it is.

Calm down. Maybe it was just the guy being fancy and he chose to say "hey, look, this awesome machine of ours filters out anything that is not human (because non-humans won´t display certain bone parties)".

I thought it was an excellent idea to identify parasites using realistic measures.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
I have no idea where you got the impression that I wasn't calm.

I am actually the only person in this discussion who is speaking objectively because I am not even expressing an opinion. I am just restating what the guy said.

neflight86
Fri, 02-20-2015, 01:38 AM
Pretty slick using an x-ray to sniff out parasites (I suppose a little radiation is the worth the cause). Excellent cliff-hangar as well as we have no idea how they can stealthily eliminate/capture the positives without alerting the others, if thats the plan.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 02-20-2015, 03:33 AM
There's no way to do it since the parasytes will know as soon as one of their signal disappears.

Kraco
Fri, 02-20-2015, 05:36 AM
There's no way to do it since the parasytes will know as soon as one of their signal disappears.

Has Shinichi told the officials that, though? They could still proceed normally with the evacuation, as if nothing happened, to mark them all and then try to take them in one fell swoop. That way they would at least know, for the time being, who are parasytes and who are not. It would be a big risk for the normal civilians around, as they can't really separate the parasytes without alerting them.

Maybe they have installed a remote controlled mine in every seat of the busses and thus they can individually get rid of the parasytes, all at once! The bystanders would just get a really messy surprise!

Kraco
Wed, 02-25-2015, 03:07 PM
Episode 20 - HS

- - - - --

That worked surprisingly well for the humans, at least until nothing but the real beasts made of multiple parasytes were left. It was largely due to Kiritsugu being so decisive. Hesitation would have meant a big failure, and they still might have lost some lives. Of course what happened to start the turmoil was a mistake, but there aren't really any existing troops trained to deal with alien monsters, so what can you do?

They need better ammo in the future, though.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 02-25-2015, 10:05 PM
That was a poorly directed episode. There were a lot of parts that leave the viewer questioning why the characters were acting that way. The worst part was when the soldiers shot a faker parasyte's arm, let it run away for some inexplicable reason, only to chase it two seconds later, shoot it like crazy, let it run off again without confirming the kill, and then allow it to meet with our big bad. Wow, that was horrid. It reminded me of the first episode of Seiken Tsukai, which I dropped after finishing.

The only other thing that made less sense was a bunch of soldiers following an obvious parasyte to an open room. Sure, it wouldn't have made a difference if they fought in the hallway, but they didn't know that. If anything, it reeked of a trap, but for some reason, they all just followed along like good little kids.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-26-2015, 01:16 AM
at was a poorly directed episode. There were a lot of parts that leave the viewer questioning why the characters were acting that way. The worst part was when the soldiers shot a faker parasyte's arm, let it run away for some inexplicable reason, only to chase it two seconds later, shoot it like crazy, let it run off again without confirming the kill, and then allow it to meet with our big bad. Wow, that was horrid. It reminded me of the first episode of Seiken Tsukai, which I dropped after finishing. I sort of understood shooting the parasyte's arm. The police weren't entirely convinced so they tested the waters by shooting the arm. Giving chase was a little slow when you should have just shot though.

Following the parasyte into a larger room was a mistake in that it gives the other guy more room to run (not that he needed to use super-speed). Shotgun spammage down a hallway works wonders. These guys need to play more video games.

They need better ammo in the future, though.

They also need to watch Terminator 2 and do what Arnie did to T-1000 at the end. And more video games, because any FPS player will tell you all about noob tubes.

Kraco
Thu, 02-26-2015, 01:56 AM
Like I said earlier, with the exception of Kiritsugu, there were no pros among these troops. Furthermore, like Bill said, they couldn't trust the killer (quite understandable) nor themselves. Following the big boss instead of shooting right away was very dodgy, but I kind of could understand that well, following the same logic of being hesitant to shoot first, or being hesitant all over. They hardly had any alternatives, though. Japan doesn't have the same amounts of armed criminals as the USA, for example, and they haven't taken part in any war since WW2. They simply wouldn't have people with experience. They could perhaps handpick ruthless individuals one by one to form the unit, but that would cause different sort of troubles (the copulating couple would have been slaughtered, as an example).

Xelbair
Thu, 02-26-2015, 06:22 AM
At least they've chosen a good weapon to deal with Parasytes - AA-12 full automatic shotgun. sadly they've chosen wrong rounds..
They knew that fire, and generally speaking burning works great vs Parasytes - why they haven't used HE ammo - which would've obliterated the guy who shot their bullets back at them.

Heck, showmanship Dragonbreath rounds would work well too - but guns might get damaged by it.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 02-26-2015, 06:42 AM
They hardly had any alternatives, though. Japan doesn't have the same amounts of armed criminals as the USA, for example, and they haven't taken part in any war since WW2. They simply wouldn't have people with experience.

I don't think that's a good reason though. Special Tactics teams train to a standard, and also mingle with other teams internationally. Just because they haven't seen a real deal before shouldn't affect how they perform. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

I just think that the rest of the squad have trouble aiming at people who aren't obviously criminally-pointing-guns-at-people's-head bad.

It doesn't seem like any of them were briefed that killing civilians was a secondary objective compared to wiping out the parasites. Had they known and agreed, they'd perform much more smoothly.

Kraco
Thu, 02-26-2015, 08:02 AM
In a fight, to hesitate is to lose. It's worse than not hesitating and making the wrong choice. Kiritsugu didn't hesitate at any point, even if he was every now and then caught by surprise by the new developments. But you could clearly see in this episode that many of the grunts didn't possess such mentality. You can say they should be pros after a fashion, with international cooperation training and whatnot, but did it really look like that? Besides, training is just training. It can never replace real experience. There are things you can't train, at least not fully, like the mentality of a killer. Still, like you said, their pre-operation preparation could probably have been better. It didn't really look like the troops were appropriate instructed about what to do if Plan A fails.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 02-26-2015, 09:28 AM
Rather than the writing, I think it was mostly a direction/production issue. There were a lot of parts where there are pointless stills, as if they were running out of budget or something.

Kraco
Wed, 03-04-2015, 03:03 PM
Episode 21 - HS

- - - - - -

Yamagishi should have pulled off a Leon there. If only he had had a few hand grenades. But then again, his limits became evident when he didn't reassess the level of danger when his men started dropping dead. Instead he just decided to push forward with the exact same methods that had led to the deaths of the earlier men. He didn't have what it takes, even though he looked promising in the beginning.

Quite nice LSD addict scenes with Shinichi afterwards. I kind of liked him more during the mid-phase when he was like a robot.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-05-2015, 05:42 AM
I didn't feel like this episode flowed well. From Shitting-his-pants Shinichi to revitalising-sex-with-Satomi it all felt kind of forced. I too am so used to seeing a fearless Shinichi that this reverting back to himself seems bizarre. I get the whole "reverting to your instincts" thing, but the hallucinations were simply over the top.

MFauli
Fri, 03-06-2015, 12:09 PM
its so frustrating to see all these special forces guys go down like flies, simply cause they dont follow basic tactics. Yeah, please everyone line up in a half circle in close vicinity of the monster enemy. sigh

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-06-2015, 08:43 PM
The last two episodes were horribly directed. I'm betting budget issues, or the director got sick.

Sapphire
Sun, 03-08-2015, 08:43 AM
I didn't feel like this episode flowed well. From Shitting-his-pants Shinichi to revitalising-sex-with-Satomi it all felt kind of forced. I too am so used to seeing a fearless Shinichi that this reverting back to himself seems bizarre. I get the whole "reverting to your instincts" thing, but the hallucinations were simply over the top.

I wasn't a fan of the random-no-build-up sex with Satomi (who he seems to have a pretty bad relationship with lol) either but once you live in Japan or watch real Japanese couples for a while it makes perfect sense.

I feel like Shinichi's emotional arc is really great. An "emotionless" parasyte is the one who brought him back to humanity? The combination of his "weaker" emotions flooding back, realizing he's not indestructible after all and seeing that that threat is DIRECTLY after him, and having 4-whole hours of being totally vulnerable sound like a great recipe for pants-shitting to me.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 03-10-2015, 11:14 PM
I wasn't a fan of the random-no-build-up sex with Satomi (who he seems to have a pretty bad relationship with lol) either but once you live in Japan or watch real Japanese couples for a while it makes perfect sense.

Wait, is that true? I need to get one of these.

http://i.imgur.com/PR451aI.jpg

I feel like Shinichi's emotional arc is really great. An "emotionless" parasyte is the one who brought him back to humanity? The combination of his "weaker" emotions flooding back, realizing he's not indestructible after all and seeing that that threat is DIRECTLY after him, and having 4-whole hours of being totally vulnerable sound like a great recipe for pants-shitting to me.

The thing that pisses me off about freaking out is that Shinichi should have the combat experience now to know that "freaking out" doesn't accomplish anything and he needs to take the next logical step.

That said, I forgot that revenge was a bit part of what made him robotic/logical before, so if that's out of the way now and he's back to pants-shitting-mostly-human mode, then so be it. :s

Kraco
Wed, 03-11-2015, 02:55 PM
Episode 22

---

I miss the Shinichi who one-shotted the parasyte who killed Kana. At least he now decided to fight again. But the Shinichi back then probably could have killed Gotou as the operation would have been much simpler for Migi as well. Now Shinichi could do nothing but throw the spear from far away. And then run crying like a little girl.

But I didn't dislike the latter portion of the eps, so it's fine.

Edit: I guess I should ban myself for missing the episode number despite writing the rule myself... But instead I'll blame Bill whose "Today" post wasn't referring to today's episode at all.

MFauli
Wed, 03-11-2015, 03:50 PM
episode 22 is out
------------------------

So .. what´s the big idea, Shin-chan? You barely stood a chance teaming up with Migi. Now you´re on your own. What is there to turn the tides of fate in your favor? :>

Also, super sudden emotional Migi. See, it was kinda noticeable that Migi got softer before this episode. Buuut it was still uncalled for how truly emotional Migi was now. If only he had been like that earlier, lotta things would have played out differently.

And Im not sure what to think of Migi´s situation now. So ... is the main Migi dead? If so, what´s with thos Migi-cells inside Shin-chan´s? Assuming they´ll grow enough to regain capability of speech and such, what kind of Migi will we see? A clone of the dead Migi with his memories up until the dead Migi separated from Shin-chan´s body? Weird.

Oh, and fuck, why didn´t Shin-chan at least take some fire-based weapon with him? sigh

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-11-2015, 10:02 PM
Migi did make sense this episode considering his development so far. If their only chance of victory was to act together, once that failed then it's about avoiding casualties. Migi's prioritising Shinichi's life as much as his own now. Shinichi in his old form would have been able to finish beheading Gotou with his superhuman speed and reflexes, but right then and there I'd say he had no chance despite how much I felt he was best to commit to that plan instead of letting Migi die.

As for 70% Migi's fate, I feel that Gotou would have absorbed him. He's already got another 4 parasytes under his control. He'll probably feel that controlling a reluctant parasyte is within the power of the "ultimate lifeform". Migi might not even be all that reluctant given that it's a chance to survive.

That theory fits the idea that Migi is still alive and that Gotou is somehow even less human-looking than before. This development would also give Shinichi a winning chance since Migi can now corrupt Gotou's control through will/consciousness.

Life and Oath makes even better sense this way. Too bad this suggests Migi will have to die with Gotou in the process unless Shinichi is able to salvage him somehow. From memory 30% of concentrated cells is enough to have a talking Migi.

Buffalobiian
Wed, 03-18-2015, 10:55 PM
HS - Episode 23 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=667349)

----------------------

That was a pretty believable battle overall. Two things that really pop out though, is the fact that 30% Migi is able to come out now despite not having the other 70% calling in close proximity. The other thing is that Shinichi has better senses than Gotou somehow.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 03-18-2015, 11:48 PM
The latter one makes sense and has been mentioned several times in the series. Even Migi was impressed with Shinichi's senses. The parasytes can sense each other but don't have amazing sensory abilities otherwise.

Kraco
Thu, 03-19-2015, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I'm quite satisfied the battle wasn't decided by one-armed Shinichi miraculously defeating that monster in an honest contest of brawns but rather by using a poisoned piece of iron. Although I didn't like how he was ready to give up a few times and then finally even did give up, as if it suddenly didn't matter anymore that the monster would likely still be around to slay the villagers mere hours later.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-19-2015, 03:44 AM
The parasytes can sense each other but don't have amazing sensory abilities otherwise.

That was what I was referring to. I gave "sentient muscle" more credit than it deserved.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-19-2015, 12:37 PM
I didn't think he could be sensed. I mean, when Migi was asleep, parasytes couldn't sense him properly, even with all the cells spread in his body.

MFauli
Thu, 03-19-2015, 02:36 PM
it was okay-ish. He won due to sheer luck. Finding himself inmidst of a waste dump that coincidentially features highly poisonous substances and parasites miraculously being weak to poison. Come on, parasites, even in Pokemon, poison is usually worthless!11

And I´m not sure im fine with Shinichi even being able to land that stabbing hit. Gotou was portrayed as faster imo.

But. again, given the circumstances, it was a competently handled fight.

Kraco
Thu, 03-19-2015, 02:48 PM
He won due to sheer luck. Finding himself inmidst of a waste dump that coincidentially features highly poisonous substances and parasites miraculously being weak to poison. Come on, parasites, even in Pokemon, poison is usually worthless!

Luck is a skill as well. It also makes sense there could be toxic substances among the waste because that would be more profitable for the mafia to get rid of illegally. Charge a good price for handling hazardous waste, then just dump it somewhere out of sight. Very classic. It doesn't matter whether a parasyte is immune to that particular poison or not, because the human organs wouldn't be. If you find poisons worthless, then you are a lousy poisoner. Poisons are biochemistry; any living thing can be poisoned. Why, even some non-living things can be poisoned as well: Pour something nasty in the fuel tank of a car and the engine will be poisoned!

And I´m not sure im fine with Shinichi even being able to land that stabbing hit. Gotou was portrayed as faster imo.

The parasytes certainly were very fast individually, but Gotou had an extra layer between the head and the limbs. He basically had to command the aggregate parasytes to move as he wished. Once they already move, sure, they are fast, but the initial reaction time would suffer from lag. He somewhat compensated by growing extra eyes to see in every direction to avoid being surprised, not to mention he was a good fighter.

MFauli
Thu, 03-19-2015, 03:52 PM
outside of role playing games, luck is not a skill :P

And you just pulled that one out of your ass, regarding Gotou´s "initial reaction time" lol

But I admit, the poison being effective against the human parts of him makes sense. Although Id have thought the parasites would have a way to neutralize it somehow - afterally, Migi freaking repaired a heart!

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Migi didn't repair a heart simply by using part of himself. Took a long time to do plus he needed the nutrients in order to do that. Or at least plenty of glucose.

Kraco
Thu, 03-19-2015, 04:59 PM
And you just pulled that one out of your ass, regarding Gotou´s "initial reaction time" lol

No, it's called giving the story a chance. Instead of saying that the story sucks because there's an unexplained detail, you can instead try to look for a plausible theory that would even have some basis on stuff we do know. Then it's just a matter of whether it's too far out there to be believable in the context or if it could satisfy you personally. During the previous assault arc I found the actions of the special forces quite laughable towards the end, but Shinichi managing to surprise Gotou once didn't cross my threshold.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-19-2015, 06:56 PM
Gotou underestimated the shit out of him. If you have an unbreakable shield, you tend to let your guard down. That's a simple and believable explanation, yeah?

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-19-2015, 09:59 PM
I didn't think he could be sensed. I mean, when Migi was asleep, parasytes couldn't sense him properly, even with all the cells spread in his body.

I wasn't disappointed that Gotou couldn't detect 30% Migi, but that Gotou only had senses no better than a normal person. His requiring sleeping also came out of nowhere. Migi only needed to sleep once he gave up some of his cells, but presumably it was because he was affected by Shinichi's humanity (did he take in some of Shinichi's cells too?). Fatigue was never actually an issue prior.

I'll have to agree with Gotou letting his guard down and not believing Shinichi could hurt him as opposed to somehow having a delayed reaction time.

Shinichi giving up on life while remembering naked Satomi was hilarious. To me that says "Yep, banged her. No more regrets."

Kraco
Fri, 03-20-2015, 02:51 AM
Gotou underestimated the shit out of him. If you have an unbreakable shield, you tend to let your guard down. That's a simple and believable explanation, yeah?

Of course he underestimated Shinichi. And not only subconsciously, he did it willingly because he wanted a good fight, not a slaughter. He could have simply finished off Shinichi any time using those blades, but instead he just kept throwing him around without cutting him into pieces. Even at that pile of waste he couldn't drop that honourable fight mentality because he walked right over to Shinichi instead of deciding to kill him from 10 meters away, giving Shinichi zero chances to counterattack. Only after getting poisoned Gotou got serious.

But does this all mean he wanted to get stabbed? I don't think so.

Kraco
Wed, 03-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Episode 24 Final - HS

- - - - - -

Quite a jolly show all in all. The setting was very solid to say the least, and I kind of liked how it all turned out so meaningless, or without a grander purpose in other words. Just like nature works. There's no special meaning or thought to it. I'm not sure what Migi's decision to go to sleep permanently meant, though, but it's still understandable in a way, since he apparently liked sleeping and dreaming a lot, when under Gotou's control. It's probably not so different being under Shinichi's control, in the end.

The whole psychopath escapade felt abrupt and forced. I think we were already past the point of Shinichi needing assurances that he's still a human, and the whole "the real monsters are humans" thing is such a cliche. As for saving Satomi for the #th time... Duh. Not to mention having the extra violence of the psycho leaving behind two more corpses, as if this show absolutely needed more to pile up before the end. Maybe this whole thing could have been replaced with Shinichi saving Satomi from a traffic accident. That's what Migi was concerned about, after all. At least Shinichi performed one final punch to send the show off, if nothing else.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-26-2015, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure what Migi's decision to go to sleep permanently meant, though, but it's still understandable in a way, since he apparently liked sleeping and dreaming a lot, when under Gotou's control. It's probably not so different being under Shinichi's control, in the end.

While under Gotou's control, Migi experienced what it was like to stop tending to his survival and just see, listen and think about stuff beyond his own existence. He grew tired of daily life and sought to meditate instead. He's pretty much become a sage.

MasterOfMoogles
Thu, 03-26-2015, 03:37 AM
I really liked this show overall, though I felt the last couple episodes got a little heavy handed with the philosophy themes.

MFauli
Fri, 03-27-2015, 03:04 PM
That´s supposed to be the actual ending of the story? Doesnt feel like it. If so, a rather disappointing anime in hindsight. Id really like to see a lot more. SHinichi making proper use of his partial parasyte-fusion. Telling his gf the truth. Figuring out the parasytes and their origin. Stuff like that.

neflight86
Sat, 03-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Agreed. I much more enjoyed the first half of this show. Not to say the second half is/was bad, but it was certainly unsatisfying, and as mentioned, heavy handed in the philosophy.

The greatest tradgety in this show, however, is the essentially nonexistent character development of Asano. She appeared to be there only to nervously ask if shinichi was really "himself", as if she was prepared to accept an answer of 'no'. Her interactions with the story at large were generally forgettable (repetitive in substance) and she was important for reasons we were told, not shown.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 03-28-2015, 12:56 PM
Who is Asano?

shinta|hikari
Sat, 03-28-2015, 04:47 PM
LOL.

For a second, I was not sure which one of you was joking, then I realized I wasn't even sure if the name was wrong or not.

Case in point.

neflight86
Sun, 03-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Sorry, Murano. Don't know where the name Asano came from.