PDA

View Full Version : Why is Gantz not being (re-)made into an anime??

MFauli
Tue, 09-09-2014, 03:13 PM
Ahoi,

so, with HXH about to end and having recently rewatched Shingeki no Kyoujin, I started thinking about it again. Gantz is, thematically, similar to SnK, except multitudes better. Itīs gruesome, itīs full of cool action, itīs interesting. And, most of all, itīs concluded. No fear of filler, because you donīt know when the manga might continue. A studio could plan the whole thing from start to beginning, without any uncertainties.

So, why is it that nobody does it? Yes, there is the old anime that covered the very beginning of the story. But thatīs it. It didnīt even reach the best parts.

Have there ever been any explanations? Or are there maybe actually rumors for a new anime version?

Seriously, Gantz simply seems to be a perfect match for the current anime Zeitgeist, it would be super popular. How come?

MasterOfMoogles
Tue, 09-09-2014, 10:11 PM
I liked Gantz, but it really is just mindless killing for the most part.
The story is also a nonsensical mess. I think Attack on Titan is much better at trying to tell a cohesive story.
Still, I wouldn't complain if there was a Gantz anime.

There are several live-action Gantz movies. I haven't seen any though so I can't say whether they're any good (I doubt it).

As for why it isn't an anime - there is a ton of extreme violence and some nudity. Stuff gets censored in JoJo, so I can't imagine how much they would try to censor Gantz.
Additionally, these days, anime are often made to try to increase sales of ongoing manga/LN. As Gantz is over, that isn't going to help as much.

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-10-2014, 03:56 AM
Additionally, these days, anime are often made to try to increase sales of ongoing manga/LN. As Gantz is over, that isn't going to help as much.

To be fair, Kiseijuu (aka Parasyte) is getting an anime next season, and that ended in 1995.

Gantz isn't gonna get redone, Shin Angyo Onshi isn't going to get the full anime it deserves, we're not going to get another season of Nyan Koi, and Mx0 isn't going to get an anime either. They're just not popular enough or iconic enough.

MFauli
Wed, 09-10-2014, 11:57 AM
They're just not popular enough or iconic enough.

I have no idea about those other anime you mentioned, but thats exactly my point: Gantz IS that iconic. Which is why i always found it weird that there has never been a proper anime-i-zation of the source material. Again, going with the Attack on Titan-comparison: Gantz is 10 times as iconic.

Feels like a missed opportunity for everyone (not) involved. :>

Ryllharu
Wed, 09-10-2014, 03:11 PM
No, as much as you may like it or it broadened your tastes, it's really not.

It's not FSN (which was even limitedly rebroadcast in 2010).
It's not Space Battleship Yamato.
It's not FMA (technically not a remake).
It's not DBZ.
It's not Sailor Moon.
It's not Evangelion.

The kind of series that everyone in Japan are aware of, cultural Icons.

Maybe in several years we'll see a Code Geass remake or something.

Carnage
Wed, 09-10-2014, 04:25 PM
What would be the point the entire 2nd half would half to be censored. Plus the final arc was half-assed. I love Gantz but am not crazy for a remake. I just wish they'd do a good adaptation of Berserk for once.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-10-2014, 06:19 PM
I think Mfauli did not know what iconic meant.

Add Berserk to that list.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 09-10-2014, 09:30 PM
To be fair, Kiseijuu (aka Parasyte) is getting an anime next season, and that ended in 1995.

Gantz isn't gonna get redone, Shin Angyo Onshi isn't going to get the full anime it deserves, we're not going to get another season of Nyan Koi, and Mx0 isn't going to get an anime either. They're just not popular enough or iconic enough.
True, I didn't really know anything about Parasyte. Apparently it was 1990-95. Gantz is 2000-2013.

What I would do for Mx0 anime or Psyren anime...

shinta|hikari
Wed, 09-10-2014, 10:41 PM
Axed manga don't really get anime, do they?

Y
Thu, 09-11-2014, 04:21 PM
It's extremely sexual and violent and there's no money to be made off it.

MFauli
Thu, 09-11-2014, 04:26 PM
AoT is extremely violent. Many popular current shows are, see HXHīs chimera ant arc.

And it really stop being "sexual" after the beginning parts that were covered in the existing anime.

Setting, concept and visual design would make this such a surefire popular anime, Iīm just too convinced of it.

Ryllharu
Thu, 09-11-2014, 05:15 PM
And it really stop being "sexual" after the beginning parts that were covered in the existing anime.
Uhh...did we read the same manga? Is it censored in your country?

Tits everywhere, frequent banging, creepy Lolita fetish shit, oh, and bizarre lust triangles. In the latter half. And that's before there are a shit ton of naked people chapter after chapter.
(Yes, I said lust triangles and not love triangles)

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-12-2014, 11:34 AM
This manga sounds like exactly the thing I need for when I'm pent up and need some release. Bring it on.

But Claymore first.

Carnage
Fri, 09-12-2014, 05:28 PM
This manga sounds like exactly the thing I need for when I'm pent up and need some release.

Quite the opposite.

Munsu
Fri, 09-12-2014, 10:24 PM
I'm up for a remake of GantZ for sure. But meh, I've waited longer for a remake of Berserk.

MFauli
Sat, 09-13-2014, 12:13 AM
I'm up for a remake of GantZ for sure. But meh, I've waited longer for a remake of Berserk.

unfortunately, now that we just got the movies and they dot continue beyond the eclipse AGAIN, hope is gone for at least 10 years or whatever :/