PDA

View Full Version : Sakuga animation panel and discussion

neflight86
Wed, 08-06-2014, 06:52 PM
Found this series on the YouTube and found it quite informative (the first two videos at least):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLNHSrJoqFM&list=PLwUrm_DEuZGlCNTaK3-P22Y8Br6BdxsCB

Its about general Japanese animation techniques and showcases some more prolific animators. Intiresting if you are intitested in animation itself. It wore on me a bit as I watched all 16 parts in one sitting and it unfortunately began to more or less run together as the presenters went through the gamut of featured animators.

I find myself to be a very visually oriented person. Do you hold any particular animator to high esteem? I wish I was otaku enough to name drop some, but I'm not.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 08-06-2014, 10:09 PM
I've seen this before and also been to a similar panel at an anime convention before.
I always love seeing the different styles and find the explanations of how they influenced anime to be really interesting.
I don't really follow it closely enough to know who the people are, unfortunately.

You can find a lot of cool clips of sakuga just on youtube, though a lot of the times people put crappy music over top of them.

darkshadow
Thu, 08-07-2014, 09:17 AM
I love how the example of great animation in naruto was deemed as shitty by many of our great community back in the day.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I low how the example of great animation in naruto was deemed as shitty by many of our great community back in the day.

Oh really?

I always described the old Naruto animation as "gritty", but definitely not shitty. The current lot is shitty despite the clean look.

neflight86
Thu, 08-07-2014, 11:33 AM
I was especially interested in the concept of Key Framing, where the most skilled artists actually make the poses and stances, sort of directing the flow of the animation and letting the lesser skilled animators fill in the gaps. I have actually started noticing in the credits of shows a section for key frame animation.