PDA

View Full Version : Tokyo Ghoul

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-11-2014, 05:57 AM
http://i.imgur.com/fT3pdWq.jpg

Alternative title:
東京喰種トーキョーグール (Japanese)
Genres: horror

Plot: The suspense horror/dark fantasy story is set in Tokyo, which is haunted by mysterious "ghouls" who are devouring humans. People are gripped by the fear of these ghouls whose identities are masked in mystery. An ordinary college student named Kaneki encounters Rize, a girl who is an avid reader like him, at the café he frequents. Little does he realize that his fate will change overnight.
-MAL

Links: ANN (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=16087), AniDB (http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=10401), MAL (http://myanimelist.net/anime/22319/Tokyo_Ghoul)

Download:

HS - Episode 01 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=570757)

HS - Episode 02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=573393)

--------------------------------------------

The last two episodes have been pretty engaging. The premise reminds me of a couple of episodes, but the most prominent one would be Shiki. Kaneki suffering from flesh withdrawal with (command hallucinations?) telling him to kill were by far my favourite parts. Touka being badass and cute at the same time is icing.

Kaneki's friend really is something though. He's sharp, but I'm not sure if he knew that the Senpai was a ghoul.

KrayZ33
Fri, 07-11-2014, 11:54 AM
It's a good show so far
I'd like more than 12 eps though, seems like it could be worth it, story wise etc.

MFauli
Fri, 07-11-2014, 07:28 PM
I don´t know. Enjoying it so far, but I can see this show to become tedious and "trope-y" quickly.

Major gripes with episode 2:

- the typical hero-awakens-with-super-powers, alongside beating an experienced veteran ghoul. Shit´s tired and played out.

- Rize possessing the hero´s mind. Yes, ghouls have no relation to reality and logic to begin with, but come on, they transplanted some peripherial organs into his body, no brain switch or something like that. It´s just annoying.

I wonder what those "good" ghouls eat, since the old guy seems to make it a point that they´re just living their life, not intending to harm anybody. Eating the flesh of deceased people?

Also, is that Eren´s voice actor? Not sure.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 07-12-2014, 06:32 AM
I agree with the 'hero awakening' that has been done so many damn times. And most likely will continue.
As for Rize, I think that's more of a symbolical thing since he is half Ghoul he fights his new Ghoul urges.

Pretty sure the 'good' ghouls' also eat human meat. Maybe they eat criminals, scum nobody would miss and or homeless people. Not wanting to harm people could also mean they eat as little as they need to to preserve their....stock. Hell they might freeze the leftovers.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-12-2014, 10:15 AM
If they could clone humans and raise them without a frontal cortex or anything beyond basic brain stem functions I think you could argue you've found a way to harvest meat workout taking souls since they'd have none.

David75
Sat, 07-12-2014, 10:21 AM
Like growing limbs, ears or other body parts?

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 07-12-2014, 11:57 AM
But I think that would require some major financial backing. So unless they own some major corporations I don't see that cloning happening.

David75
Sat, 07-12-2014, 12:12 PM
It's true that with today's IRL science/technologu/knowledge, growing an imperfect ear on the back of a test mouse is bleeding edge science/technology.
But it could be easy in that alternate world.
It's just that it would not fit we've what we've seen till now.
The MC needs to have very difficult choices to make, even if he has to live with such a fundamental contradiction he wants to remain normal and a good guy... but still needs to feed on human flesh.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 07-13-2014, 10:52 AM
Well, I'm not sure how it works but he could go after other ghouls and eat them instead. Perhaps that does the trick as well. It would certainly ease his mind a bit. Kill/eat the 'bad guys' and protect/don't eat the humans.

MFauli
Sun, 07-13-2014, 11:42 AM
Well, I'm not sure how it works but he could go after other ghouls and eat them instead. Perhaps that does the trick as well. It would certainly ease his mind a bit. Kill/eat the 'bad guys' and protect/don't eat the humans.

If what the enemy ghoul said holds any truth, then ghoul-flesh wouldn´t taste at all. It´d be like us eating human flesh. For a ghoul, humans are but livestock, like ants.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-18-2014, 07:35 AM
HS - Episode 03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=576243)

----------------------------------

I don't think I can ever get used to seeing little girls eat flesh like that. Hinami was easily the most shocking ghoul-meal so far.

Would ghouls be hurt by pure metals the same way vampires are? Those briefcases seem to pack a punch on their own as well as throwing out some form of shuriken. Quite a covert weapon, really.

MFauli
Fri, 07-18-2014, 03:19 PM
I dont get it. We were shown that ghouls have supernatural powers, yet these two special officers hack and slay them like they´re flies.

Also, the ending scene fell completely flat. The guy entered the cafe as if to provoke some reaction, but nobody showed any sign of such. I was expecting Toka and the other veteran staff to react in a shocked/horrified way, since I assumed this guy in the red dress would be some super powerful enemy ghoul, but nothing happened. Weird.

Regarding using suicide victims as their food: It seems like a peaceful solution for their food problem at first, but when you think about it ... they base their living off other people´s misery. In other words, what would they do if people were happy enough not to commit suicide?

Although it´s rather bullshit anyway. Only being able to eat human meat, but no other meat? I´m sure most of us wouldn´t realize they were eating human meat if it came prepared like your typical steak or whatever. So ghouls should be able to eat animal meat, too.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-18-2014, 04:01 PM
What is this weird trend where people demand realism from anime? This isn't even trying to be realistic. It is diligently creating its own world with its own rules, and explaining it quite well, I think. We really should not complain about it being unrealistic as long as it follows its own rules, not the rules of our reality. It is a show about ghouls (very cute ones, like Touka, Hinami, and hot ones, like Rize) for crying out loud.

About the special powers, I think there is something special about the briefcase. They gave special attention to it in this episode.

MFauli
Fri, 07-18-2014, 04:07 PM
When a show puts a lot of focus on explaining various details about ghouls, how they work, how they function, how they interact with human beings, then, yes, I start to apply the expectation of a certain level of realism to it. Right now, this anime is in weird spot between pseudo-realism and fantasy. Other than the lack of explanation for some things (see: meat), the only element that is super-fantastical is the energy arms/wings/tentacles that those ghouls can manifest.

Don´t get me wrong, this is one of the highlights of the summer season. I´m just curious about some things.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 07-18-2014, 05:06 PM
But asking ghouls why they can only eat human meat but not other meat is like asking an elf why he has long ears, or why dragons breathe fire. Isn't it because that is just the way it is? Sure, they might have an explanation for it, but rather than getting a half assed one, I would rather just accept it as part of their world.

MFauli
Fri, 07-18-2014, 05:13 PM
That´s where I criticized the "weird spot between realism and fantasy". Only being able to eat HUMAN meat puts it into the magical realm. But most of the other elements have an inner believability to them, "suspense of disbelief" iirc. It is a compliment of mine to this anime that I even started to think about that stuff - wouldn´t do it for a show I don´t like. So this being the way it is, it annoys me that there´s no proper explanation ... yet. I guess it depends on what the anime plans to lay focus upon: Action-heavy battles, or rich world building. Heck, there´s enough room for both to be done.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 07-18-2014, 07:49 PM
As above, I suspected that the briefcases were made of some pure metal capable of harming the ghouls. They also shoot projectiles.

These guys are pretty much the less classy versions of vampires.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 07-26-2014, 10:37 PM
HS - Episode 04 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=579229)

-------------------------------------

This wasn't as exciting as past episodes. We did learn that cannibalism doesn't degrade you like it does in some vampire shows though.. it just tastes like shit bad meat.

I suppose human food would taste worse though. Touka's a weird one. For all her Ghoul World / Human World talk, she forced her friend's food down with water rather than trying to bring it up so she could legitimately say she ate it.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 07-26-2014, 11:05 PM
She loves her friend.

It is absolutely illogical, and thus logical.

NeoCybercoin
Sun, 07-27-2014, 07:09 AM
I guess she just wants to be human that badly

Kraco
Sun, 07-27-2014, 12:53 PM
You'd think that a person whose only hobby is to read would be a bit wiser than Kaneki. He must be only reading literature that's turning his brain into mush scented with flowers. It's like there couldn't be a con man so bad he couldn't fool this doofus - twice in a row. Along with getting so surprised and shocked he falls on his ass, getting fooled is his greatest virtue. It's kind of annoying such a loser possesses the great power inherited from Rize. But I suppose that only underlines the truth that his life turned into shit when he became a ghoul. He should have lived his life never seeing a scene bloodier than a nurse drawing a blood sample.

I wonder when Hinami will die. I got that sort of feeling from her scenes. Maybe that will push Kaneki into becoming the one-eyed half-ghoul of legends.

MFauli
Sun, 07-27-2014, 02:01 PM
I just gotta say that this is, unfortunately, this season´s overhyped series. Strong start, but by now it feels to typical, to generic. I like parts of it enough to keep watching, but once the fall season arrives, this one will be quickly forgotten.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-27-2014, 06:40 PM
I don't understand how you can come to such a conclusion having not even seen half of it.

neflight86
Tue, 07-29-2014, 01:45 PM
I, too, am having misgivings about TG's sustainable quality. First the animation quality drop after episode one, then the more or less abandonment of the persuit of horror. It is obviously an action shounen with horror themeing but the PV somehow made me think actual horror.

Still worth watching, easily, but my expectations have been lowered until the power scaling begins and an interesting battle or two occurs (or not).

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-01-2014, 04:11 AM
HS - Episode 05 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=582082)

----------------------------

Go Touka and her ghoul hicky! It seems ghoul flesh powers up your body just as well as human flesh does after all, albeit tasting bad. Kaneki's hybrid goodness supposedly tastes awesome even to ghouls though, so I suppose that's some good stuff right there. Touka might just come back for more. ;)

So the girl lost her parents/siblings in an accident, and is okay with the guy as long as he doesn't kill her already dead relatives. That's handy logic.

MFauli
Fri, 08-01-2014, 07:16 AM
oh god, i forgot to switch off my brain before watching. This really isn´t a scientifically correct anime at all.

you cannot bite junks of muscle mass out of people´s shoulder and expect them to live. If they survive, half of their body would be paralyzed due to ripped nerves.

also, I understand flesh being a ghoul´s gasoline, but what sort of absorption rate is this? Touka just bit into his shoulders, and bam, she had superpowers. This was like when Eren bit his finger to turn into a titan. Digestion, how does it work.

Kraco
Fri, 08-01-2014, 08:08 AM
So the girl lost her parents/siblings in an accident, and is okay with the guy as long as he doesn't kill her already dead relatives. That's handy logic.

Yeah, that was pretty funny.

Kaneki needs to get his shit together if he wants to avoid the Most Useless Main Character of the Year award. I thought he has been eating the suicide victims they retrieved and should thus be able to freely use the power he inherited from Rize. Instead he does nothing, even getting Touka mixed up in this shit and wounded. Kaneki is the real scumbag in this story. What a waste of skin.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-01-2014, 08:29 AM
I'm sure Kaneki right now has just been surviving on those "sugar" cubes and coffee.

also, I understand flesh being a ghoul´s gasoline, but what sort of absorption rate is this?

Intravenous infusion rates, judging from the episode.

But if you can be thrown against a wall without breaking your back, I'm sure speedy digestion is nothing.

We need to move on from this gourmet guy though. It was obvious since the last episode that he won't amount to anything significant.

MFauli
Fri, 08-01-2014, 08:33 AM
Forgot to add: Now I know why I like this current villain - he reminds me of Light during his final madness. Good times.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 08-07-2014, 08:35 PM
HS - Episode 06 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=584921)

------------------

Tight! This is more like it! Screw the gourmet shit and give us some real tension. Right now ghouls seem more human than the Doves, which I'm sure is what the story is going for. It manages to kick out the emotions quite well.

It makes sense that stolen Kaguras serve as the Dove's quinque. I suppose if they're such powerful weapons, it makes sense to preserve one as powerful as Rize's into a boy who was "destined" to die anyway. It makes me wonder if Rize should have really died to being crushed by big beams though if she was really that powerful.

Kraco
Fri, 08-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Hmm... Looks like Hinami will be left with neither parents. I still think she might die herself, as well, and that will finally turn Kaneki into the white haired asskicker we see in the OP. Although I wouldn't mind if Hinami survived and Kaneki needed to get over his emoness and pacifism to protect her. If anything, the ghoul hunting officials should teach him that not all humans are worth mercy and compassion, and not all monsters are ghouls. One thing I do know I'd love for certain: If the mom dies, Hinami survives, and Kaneki (the white haired version) becomes the closest thing to a dad for her.

MFauli
Fri, 08-08-2014, 12:16 PM
too much magical bullshit. those ghouls are just another vessel for "magicians", akin to ninjas in Naruto.

I expected something more elaborate from episode 1, but oh well. I can enjoy this for what it is, but I had higher hopes.

neflight86
Fri, 08-08-2014, 01:40 PM
So Jason is a type of thing... I hope we get the rest of B-Movies's horror tropes shounenified. They might as well, and would give me more to look forward to.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-09-2014, 02:48 PM
This show has some great visuals from time to time. The concept art during the ED in EP2,
the Touka's fiery gleem in EP5 etc. etc....gets my blood racing every time

Kaneki needs to get his shit together if he wants to avoid the Most Useless Main Character of the Year award. I thought he has been eating the suicide victims they retrieved and should thus be able to freely use the power he inherited from Rize. Instead he does nothing, even getting Touka mixed up in this shit and wounded. Kaneki is the real scumbag in this story. What a waste of skin.

Don't know about that, hes is "half human" after all (and compared to normal humans, a ghouls is superman)... and its not like he asked or even expected Touka to help.

Kraco
Thu, 08-14-2014, 02:04 PM
Episode 7 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=587678)

- - -- - - -

This show is certainly taking its time to build the main character. 7 episodes in and the best the dude can do is make some coffee. I might have been spoiled by all the recent shows where the main character wasn't a loser in the beginning, but this is still getting ridiculous. Although I expected it, I didn't hope for it, but now I'm thinking Hinami needs to get slaughtered right in front of Kaneki to snap him out of his shit mentality. It's as if he, despite having seen so much, still doesn't understand he's trapped in a game of life and death and everybody else is playing it.

This anime has to be two cours or we won't see Kaneki participating in any action out of his own will. Extrapolating linearly from the beginning, by the episode 10 we might finally see him swat a fly. Although he will then spend episode 11 mourning the insect's gruesome, undeserved death.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-14-2014, 03:42 PM
If this were a two cour series, people would be pissing themselves by the end.

MFauli
Fri, 08-15-2014, 05:05 AM
So am I the only one rooting for the investigators? On one side you have ghouls that murder people and ghouls that hide and don´t do anything against those bad ghouls and ghouls that kill out of petty revenge delusions. And then, on the other side, you have normal human beings going toe to toe with those magical monsters, trying their best to make the world a safer place.

Sure, the grey haired investigator has gone crazy, but I´m sure he has his reasons. Amon-san, however, is a perfectly good guy, as well as the other two guys that were with him.

If this anime wanted me to take the ghouls´ side, they´d have to start making an effort towards a greater change. Realistically, the only move here is to reach out to the government and engage an agreement that dead bodies of naturally deceased people will go to ghouls. In return, the ghouls do their best to eliminate every evil ghoul, so that no human being will be murdered anymore.

Instead, they´re brewing coffee.

Another topic: I totally love the concept of those quinque weapons that are somehow ripped out of the ghoul´s body. Feels almost Evangelion-esque. If only there was a better explanation for the ghouls´ powers. As is, there´s too much non-sensica magic bullshit.

Kraco
Fri, 08-15-2014, 06:29 AM
If only there was a better explanation for the ghouls´ powers. As is, there´s too much non-sensica magic bullshit.

These ghouls are basically vampires. The author just didn't want to join the vampire craze that has been going on for years now. Vampires oft have all manner of supernatural skills, so the ghouls here have them as well. The fact they can eat nothing but humans is quite telling alone, plus we have got the kind of scenes like the one in the church where Kaneki offered his shoulder for Touka to feast on, which is straight from pretty much any modern vampire drama fiction. Normally when one thinks of ghoul, what comes to mind are nearly mindless undead, little better than zombies, serving vampires or whatnot, not the kind of almost human things we have here. But on the other hand, I suppose this gives more freedom to the author as he's not tied by anything, like he would be with vampires.

neflight86
Fri, 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM
Actually... This is just what I wanted. Finally a decent fight and real overarching story progression. Keep this up, please.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-16-2014, 12:07 PM
So am I the only one rooting for the investigators? On one side you have ghouls that murder people and ghouls that hide and don´t do anything against those bad ghouls and ghouls that kill out of petty revenge delusions. And then, on the other side, you have normal human beings going toe to toe with those magical monsters, trying their best to make the world a safer place.

....by indiscriminately killing every single ghoul
dem heroes man.

If this anime wanted me to take the ghouls´side

what if... what if the anime doesn't want you to take either side?
http://i.imgur.com/DpJlU7Ml.png

btw, they fucked up the sound during the fight against Mado, didn't they? Definitely didn't dub something there and the sound was out of tune/music too loud etc.

MFauli
Sat, 08-16-2014, 02:18 PM
....by indiscriminately killing every single ghoul
dem heroes man.

What do you propose then? Ghouls are infinitely stronger than normal humans. From what we´ve seen, the majority of ghouls doesn´t care about human life. So what do we, as humans, do? Well, what do we do with dangerous animals? We put them in cages/special areas or kill them when they get to close to our everyday-life. By that metric, there´s nothing wrong with the investigators´ treatment against ghouls.

KrayZ33
Sat, 08-16-2014, 04:41 PM
What do you propose then?

NOT indiscriminately killing every single ghoul?

We don't do that with "animals" (which they obviously arn't) either now, do we?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-16-2014, 07:56 PM
While I do not feel comfortable about indiscriminately killing every single ghoul, the animal comparison is also flawed in that we're not any animal's regular food source, let alone their only food source aside from cannibalism.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-16-2014, 08:47 PM
There is a path to coexistence. Kaneki's friend is proof of that.

MFauli
Sat, 08-16-2014, 09:00 PM

But somehow people dont think that one example of coexistence outweights the overwhelming majority of murdering monsters.

A good rl-comparison (even though I think it is fucked up and stupid) would be pedophiles. Unlike ghouls, you could argue that even most pedophiles are not criminals. Most of them have a screwed up sexual attraction, but don´t act on it. But even though it´s just am minority of pedophiles that commit sex crimes, our society has nothing but disgust and horror for ALL of them. We cannot even coexist with innocent people who happen to have an unfortunate sexual attraction ... and you think people could ever, at all, accept superpowered cannibals living amidst them?

Buffalobiian
Sat, 08-16-2014, 09:18 PM

That makes me wonder at what Kaneki would do if a hungry ghoul killed his friend for food.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-16-2014, 09:37 PM
We cannot even coexist with innocent people who happen to have an unfortunate sexual attraction ... and you think people could ever, at all, accept superpowered cannibals living amidst them?

What do you even mean? Even if you are a pedophile or hebephile (which I am, known to friends and some family), you can coexist just fine. Just don't break the law. People don't go around exterminating pedophiles either.

It is a matter of education. They just have to teach ghouls and humans a better way. Humans also kill other humans. The main difference here is that ghouls HAVE to eat human meat. Once that is resolved, coexistence is certainly possible (i.e. supplied by unfortunate poor dead, lots of them in the world). Ghouls are sentient creatures that even learn to love human beings and treat them not only as equals but valuable. They aren't mindless monsters. Your perspective is, for the lack of a better term, racist.

Humans far outnumber the ghouls. It is the same argument for most vampire stories. Despite being so much stronger than humans, they are actually living in fear of them, forced to disguise themselves. They aren't in the advantageous position, humans are by virtue of numbers.

MFauli
Sat, 08-16-2014, 09:51 PM
What do you even mean? Even if you are a pedophile or hebephile (which I am, known to friends and some family), you can coexist just fine. Just don't break the law. People don't go around exterminating pedophiles either.

You have to live in a bubble to seriously believe that. Go start a discussion about pedophiles on any internet forum und you´ll see the full range of postings from "we need to segregate them", over "we shouldn´t hate them, but they should seek chemical treatment", to "i wish every single one of them would die". I know this not because I´m a pedophile, but because I like to take contrarian positions in these debates, arguing in favor of the minority. "Just don´t break the law" won´t convince anybody who has a child. The "maybe" or "what if" is too strong. Which brings us to ghouls and their lust for human meat, which is infinitely worse than illegal sex.

Humans far outnumber the ghouls. It is the same argument for most vampire stories. Despite being so much stronger than humans, they are actually living in fear of them, forced to disguise themselves. They aren't in the advantageous position, humans are by virtue of numbers.

And just like with ghouls, humans can never accept vampires as a natural part of their society (outside of maybe some obscure, niche b-movie you might mention now). For pete´s sake, during the past few years, a single wolf appearing inside of Germany´s borders caused the whole nation to halt in shock and terror. ONE FREAKING WOLF. An animal that would most likely flee the moment you make some noise. The proposition of ghouls being accepted by human society is entirely unrealistic, even if idealistically reasonable.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 08-16-2014, 10:13 PM
The whole point of my reply to your pedophilia analogy was to show it was a false one. But since you want to pursue it, I will simply restate what I said. People don't exterminate pedophiles, despite how much hate they have for them.

The proposition of ghouls being accepted by human society is entirely unrealistic, even if idealistically reasonable.

So was the acceptance of homosexuals, and different religious beliefs. Remember when women were burned for having a black cat? or when millions died because they prayed to a different god? Believe it or not, I am a cynic, but history has proven that humans CAN learn and be more accepting, granted it is painstakingly slow.

Kraco
Sun, 08-17-2014, 03:23 AM
While I actually think it could be possible to coexist, I have to disagree at this point. For the simple fact that at least up until now the show depicts the cafe faction as kind of abnormal ghouls. The gourmet might have been also an extreme end (even though his gallery was quite numerous), but otherwise the likes of Rize and Nishiki seemed like the average ghoul mentality. That is, they had absolutely no problems slaying random humans to eat them. For any peaceful coexistence to happen, the vast majority of ghouls would need to want it and live accordingly (not kill humans for food). I'm quite unsure that could happen any time soon. If the humans got better and better finding and slaying ghouls, as I suppose would be the natural development, then facing annihilation the ghoul species might want to seek any way out.

MFauli
Sun, 08-17-2014, 03:31 AM
The whole point of my reply to your pedophilia analogy was to show it was a false one. But since you want to pursue it, I will simply restate what I said. People don't exterminate pedophiles, despite how much hate they have for them.

A lot (read: most) people wish to either lock them away forever or simply kill them. You are not new to the internet, so if you had ever had a debate about this topic, you have to know this. People wish to remove pedophiles from society, however way, and you think they would tolerate man eating monsters that will always win a physical confrontation? That is wrong.

So was the acceptance of homosexuals, and different religious beliefs. Remember when women were burned for having a black cat? or when millions died because they prayed to a different god? Believe it or not, I am a cynic, but history has proven that humans CAN learn and be more accepting, granted it is painstakingly slow.

Homosexuals were never a threat to anyone. Most pedophiles are not a threat to anyone. Most ghouls ARE a threat to everyone, and, moreover, even if peaceful, the only reason why you´d be alive when walking next to them, would be because they choose to. The moment they change their mind, you´re dead, you have no chance at surviving a ghoul attack.

Humans can learn, but what you´re calling "painstakingly slow" might be simply too slow. Mostly, humans are dumb. We´re at the edge of truly tolerating homosexuality. It´ll be an eternity until pedophiles aren´t demonized anymore. Then it´ll take even longer for animals to stop being murdered for food purposes. And by that time, we´ll have fully functional A.I. that will be discriminated against ("This is not an intelligent being, it´s just some machine!"). Humans will always brutally hate on something and I´m tired of arguing for one matter, only for another to arise.

KrayZ33
Sun, 08-17-2014, 04:34 AM
No one so far even considered the false-positives, sheesh
"He was seen going out with that ghoul from before - He must be a jew too, hang him!!"

Buffalobiian
Sun, 08-17-2014, 04:58 AM
No one so far even considered the false-positives, sheesh
"He was seen going out with that ghoul from before - He must be a jew too, hang him!!"

Apparently ghouls don't take physical damage from humans though, so you can just run a test on things. Still, if you're human then it's not nice either.

I am of the opinion that ghouls normally just attack for food. The ones that attack for fun are fewer. It lessens your profile and increases your survivability after all.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 08-17-2014, 09:03 AM
I am talking about the possibility of coexistence. I am not saying it is going to be quick and easy. It might take several generations, but saying it is impossible outright is not only pessimistic, but inhumane.

Ghouls are sentient beings that are being hunted down indiscriminately despite some being completely innocent. You are too vested in humanity (which is understandable because you are human) if you think that is acceptable. If you don't think that is acceptable, then there is value in achieving change.

A practical solution would be to still keep ghouls a secret to the greater public, but have human organizations (like the one they already have, but less psychotic) work together with ghoul organizations (something they could form to ease the process) to prevent conflicts from happening. Of course, people and ghouls will still kill each other from time to time just because it is their nature (people kill each other all the time), then they can simply police (read: kill) the ones that act that way.

Extermination is the stupidest solution here. Many will die on both sides until the ghouls are exterminated, children and all.

Kraco
Thu, 08-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Episode 8 - HS (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=590624)

- - - - - - - - -

Man, what a main character: Either he's a helpless punching bag or a berserk that kills everything that moves, friend or foe alike. It seems like he won't ever change unless he starts to eat properly. At least now he knows how to fight: By destroying the enemy's weapons. Though it would still require he eats and trains to avoid the berserk state. On the other hand since Hinami didn't die, I wonder if Kaneki's motivation disappeared again.

I foresaw Touka's fight ending like this the moment it began with Hinami still around. Touka is surprisingly weak, although I admit that Mado guy was strong especially when wielding two quinques. Touka might be more effective if she kept her head cool. With her speed, she shouldn't try to rely on rage and brute force all the time since it's not her forte.

MFauli
Thu, 08-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Kureo Mado is (was :-( ) such an awesome guy. Worthy of having me change my avatar in his favor. Sure, he had gone crazy a long time ago, but it wasn´t because of some silly hunger for power or anything like that. He apparently lost someone or several people to ghouls. And even without this history, as far as we have been shown, most ghouls are man-killing monsters. He was fighting for other people´s lives, and his vast experience had turned him ruthless. On top of that, he was a normal human being, special training aside, so going toe to toe with inherently physically superior opponents just makes him earn more of my respect. And then he always watched out for his partner´s well-being, always making sure his apprentice wouldn´t be seriously harmed. Yet, also instilling a very noble morale into his pupil, "never run away, even if it costs a leg or an arm". A true ghoul fighter through and through.

I will miss him, but I agree with Kraco that I saw his death coming when Hinami was just standing there unobserved.

Now for the ghouls: What dumb idiots. So our hero starts out, trying to explain that not all ghouls are evil. To be exact, he made it sound as if most ghouls weren´t evil, which, as far as we´ve seen, is the understatement of the year or simply put a blatant lie. Anyway, so when his weak effort of an explanation failed (he simply stood there and took a beating. seriously, how about talking?!), he started fighting the guy. Okay, he targeted his quinque. But then ... he loses control over Rize´s ghoul-powers, a fact that he knew about before. And to make it overly clear, he shouts towards the investigator "Run away! I cannot control it! You will die!".

:|
:/
:\
:|

-________-

Great. Really, hero, you just made the most convincing argument that a peaceful co-existence between humans and ghouls is a real possibility. NOT.
I couldn´t believe how dumb this was. And hilariously enoguh, meanwhile Touka had a rant at her opponent, stating that all humans should die. Fantastic, lol.

shinta, you still believe that co-existence is an option in this story? really?

Kraco
Thu, 08-21-2014, 04:21 PM
Great. Really, hero, you just made the most convincing argument that a peaceful co-existence between humans and ghouls is a real possibility. NOT.
I couldn´t believe how dumb this was.

It wasn't dumb at all. Amon should have been left with an impression this particular ghoul didn't want to kill him, even to the point of telling him to run when the ghoul was losing control. Let's not forget Amon was the one doing all the attacking in the beginning. And he didn't aim for only a weapon. If Kaneki had been a human, he would have died many times over. Yet still he refused to attack Amon. When he finally had to, he only destroyed the weapon and then told Amon to run. I don't really see how that was dumb or ambiguous. After all, if Amon hadn't kept pushing, Kaneki would have never attacked either and wouldn't have been in any danger of losing control.

Kaneki's plan was simply to tell Amon that not all ghouls want to kill humans, even if some do. It's up to Amon to either admit or ignore it, especially after the harsh reality of Mado dying. I don't believe Amon is a lost cause, though, since for some reason he didn't want to finish off Kaneki. Mado would have killed Kaneki immediately and never looked back. Mado had apparently lost so much that he was practically a ghoul himself. The old story of turning into what you hated.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
shinta, you still believe that co-existence is an option in this story? really?

The fact that this is what you gleaned from this episode proves that there is more hope for coexistence than there is for your tolerance.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 08-22-2014, 04:49 AM
What Kaneki finally realised is that to do anything, you really need some sort of power. As for Ghoul-Human co-existance, he must first unify the Ghouls by conquering all the wards and having them under his wing. Only then can his word be trusted by humans. As MFauli said, most ghouls seem to kill for a living. Kaneki needs to at least have an influence over that before making speeches.

On the other he's not very smart though, so doing the above would actually be pretty out of character. I can only hope that things progress and don't just stagnate. Kaneki having a "realisation" every single fight would be boring.

One thing we did learn from this episode is that the other one-eyed ghoul that's running around isn't as nice as Kaneki. I also can't tell from Touka's reaction whether Mado turned out to be related to her personally. That ending scene had a "Luke, I am your father" feel to it.

MFauli
Fri, 08-22-2014, 05:09 AM
That ending scene had a "Luke, I am your father" feel to it.

It was a pretty generic ring, so I assumed what shocked Touka was the mere fact thatthis loon was married, too. Which freaked her out even moreso since he just came from murdering the parents of Hinami´s.

Kraco
Fri, 08-22-2014, 06:16 AM
On the other he's not very smart though, so doing the above would actually be pretty out of character. I can only hope that things progress and don't just stagnate. Kaneki having a "realisation" every single fight would be boring.

Smartness isn't fortunately a vital attribute for a leader (why, the most powerful nation of our world was led by George W. Bush for a while). What he would mostly need are a vision (a plausible enough sounding solution to the current problem), charisma (including self-confidence because nobody would follow a person who wouldn't follow himself), strength because ghouls are, essentially, killing machines and to be able to convince them, one probably needs to crack some skulls as an example, and some good people backing him up. He would have some work to do, but on the other hand he does already have a legend going for him, so he could become that legend, and he would have plenty of strength inherited from Rize if he trained himself to avoid going berserk.

Kraco
Thu, 09-04-2014, 11:48 AM
Episode 10 - HS (http://torrentcaching.com/torrent/95D3F7E530F37DD4D3A92488EAE3F7788C25DD43.torrent)

- - - - - - - -

The saga of the loser main character continues. I'm slowly starting to think he's not ever going to get stronger but will continue as everybody's punching bag till the end of this series. I guess that would be pretty novel as far as stories go, but novel isn't always good. Especially this kind of novel. He's so pitiful that I can't even enjoy the scenes where he gets beaten, like I usually do with lousy main characters I hate so much I wish they would just drop dead. Kaneki, however, is so super miserable I hope this whole show will end soon.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-04-2014, 10:23 PM
Prepare yourselves. It has finally begun.

EDIT:
WTF? Only 12 episodes? This is gonna be a tight fit. They could have extended the budget to 13 and made this adaptation attempt easier.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 09-11-2014, 09:34 PM
HS - Episode 11 (http://torrentcaching.com/torrent/EF76E4E458F4BA9F8A8E7419D22CE0D7C174E2B5.torrent)

-----------------------------------

Old fellow being the One-Eyed badass is pretty cool. Huge death flag for him though. I'm expected Kaneki to take his place soon.

Why do submachine gun bullets hurt Ghouls? I thought only stolen organs worked?

shinta|hikari
Thu, 09-11-2014, 09:49 PM
They are damaged by enough force. Kagune are simply that powerful so they use them.

I really hope this is 13 episodes. If they are keeping pace, it should be.

Kraco
Fri, 09-12-2014, 02:10 AM
Why do submachine gun bullets hurt Ghouls? I thought only stolen organs worked?

They are damaged by enough force. Kagune are simply that powerful so they use them.

I don't get why they didn't take some APCs with them. And attack helicopters since Japan has plenty of those. Maybe they have some law forbidding the use of gunships against their own cities, who knows, but APCs should have been okay. With nice 12.7mm heavy machine guns, at least, if not autocannons. Even over here the cops regularly borrow an APC (although without the machine gun) from the defense forces when some seemingly crazy (or drunk since this is Finland) gunman has dug himself in and the cops need to put the building under siege and probably try to storm it.

Finally this show starts to look somewhat promising. Like I said in my previous post, I usually enjoy it when a loser main character gets the shit beaten out of him, but Kaneki has been so miserable even that wouldn't help. Although this episode was heavily censored and we didn't see anything at all, such torture wouldn't have been nice to watch in any case, no matter what sort of a deserving fool was subjected to it. But it seems like the dude really needed inquisition level treatment to grow some balls, assuming losing his hair colour means he turned into a proper fighting machine worthy of being the main character of an action show.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 09-19-2014, 02:07 AM

I really hope this is 13 episodes. If they are keeping pace, it should be.

I don't think so.

HS - Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=599147)

-------------------------------

I thought the show started off good, but then became mediocre. After the introduction of the premise and Anteiku (everything after Kaneki originally struggled with his identity), the show was really riding on shock factor. Overall it was a pretty alright watch, but it feels like it had potential to be better.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-19-2014, 07:50 AM
Okay, they did not animate the best part. Heck, they did not even resolve the last situation. They also skipped a crap ton of content and made the entire story shallow. Read the manga, at least until the resolution of the fucking arc. Here (http://www.mangahere.co/manga/toukyou_kushu/c066/)is the chapter that ends that fight.

MFauli
Fri, 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM
that wasnt the last episode, was it?

anyway, what a crap shit anime. This episode ... why can´t anime producers stop trying to emulate this Evangelion-esque artsy, pretentious shit? Spending a WHOLE episode on an inner dialogue, only switching to and from gore porn. This sucked, big time.

And instead of the main character developing into a hero on his own strengths, he undergoes a magical 180°-shift in terms of personality and ability. Lame.

Kraco
Fri, 09-19-2014, 03:26 PM
If this was the final episode, I'm going to rate this show very low on AniDB. If there were still twice as many eps left as we have seen so far, things could be different. Because, basically, the intro is now over, the main character is now born. But if that's the whole show, then it was nothing but an extremely elongated intro, and nobody sane would appreciate such a thing. Maybe things would have been still acceptable if the pre-main character, who was claiming the stage until the last parts of this episode, was actually likable and thus the show had been good, but as it is now, I spent every second of every episode waiting for the dude to stop sucking and being so miserable. So, if this was the last episode, it means I hated every episode of the show and there aren't going to be any eps left to redeem this story in my eyes.

Maybe I'll give this 4 since I'm such a generous and nice guy (and I haven't been tortured to change my personality).

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-19-2014, 03:29 PM
I actually liked the final episode if judged by itself. The symbolism and art were excellent, but I guess those are lost on others. As a finale, it was horrible, making the entire series pretty bad overall. It resolved nothing. It is the end. There is no thirteenth episode.

Read the manga, preferably from the start.

Kraco
Fri, 09-19-2014, 05:36 PM
I actually liked the final episode if judged by itself. The symbolism and art were excellent, but I guess those are lost on others. As a finale, it was horrible, making the entire series pretty bad overall. It resolved nothing. It is the end. There is no thirteenth episode.

Yeah, I didn't mind this episode, either. And if the real show started now, with a couple of dozen episodes with the white haired Kaneki, I would even forgive the first 11 episodes. It's true that the dude was a miserable fool, but such people exist and it was at least partially explained in the flashbacks of his equally miserable mother and no father. In that sense this torture and his subsequent transformation was far more meaningful than it would have been otherwise, as it went according to his own wishes in a really twisted and perverted way, and he had to change that himself, with a little help from Rize. I have to admit I was expecting far less importance from this torture, and thus was positively surprised.

Nevertheless the producer and director should be tortured for a while for designing this anime so stupidly.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 09-19-2014, 06:23 PM
If this were 39 episodes, they might have been able to animate the entire story. The manga is over. The fight right after the one in this episode is absolutely awesome. Though it would be censored as hell.

shinta|hikari
Sat, 09-27-2014, 12:31 PM
This apparently has a second season.

KrayZ33
Sun, 09-28-2014, 06:59 AM
that wasnt the last episode, was it?

anyway, what a crap shit anime. This episode ... why can´t anime producers stop trying to emulate this Evangelion-esque artsy, pretentious shit? Spending a WHOLE episode on an inner dialogue, only switching to and from gore porn. This sucked, big time.

too deep for you? I thought the last episode was actually pretty well done. The inner dialogue was neither pretentious nor wasted.

And instead of the main character developing into a hero on his own strengths, he undergoes a magical 180°-shift in terms of personality and ability. Lame.

Did you even watch the show or at least the last episode? In what universe was this change "magical"... and why would a generic "hero" character be less "lame". It would have been the most boring and generic outcome someone could think of.

I'm glad this gets a second season, as Kraco mentioned, we waited for him 11 epsiodes and right when shit went wild, the first season ended. I hope the BDs are not censored as well... I can't stand it when half of my screen turns black

shinta|hikari
Thu, 01-08-2015, 11:15 PM
Root A - Horriblesubs 01 (http://nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=643183)
-------------------------------------------

I started salivating when the fight between Touko and Ayato heated up and concluded.

Then they cut out the best fight/part in the entire story.

I seriously cannot fathom what kind of idiots are writing the anime version of this story. It isn't even information content. It was pure, awesome, brutal action that would make fans out of anyone watching the show. And they removed it.

FACEFLOOR.

Kraco
Fri, 01-09-2015, 03:07 AM
I seriously cannot fathom what kind of idiots are writing the anime version of this story.

The first season demonstrated quite sufficiently it's blistering kind of idiots who designed this thing. Still, I'd expect this second season to be better than the first. Although that would require very, very little effort considering what a pile of crap the first season was.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 01-09-2015, 07:57 PM
Well it's only the first episode so let's see where they are going with this.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 01-10-2015, 01:05 AM
This episode should be a demonstration clip for my VA montinitor. The 5000:1 contrast ratio in particular shines through here.

As for the story itself.. I'm still waiting on plot. I'm more interested in that than anything else, really.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-23-2015, 08:52 AM
HS - S02E02 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=645679)
HS - S02E03 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=647874)

------------------------------

This is all still very build-up-y but I still find it enjoyable enough. At least Kaneki is doing stuff now, we just have to wait for them to explain himself. It'll be something like dropping the pacifist act and actually needing to take action in order to protect the people he loves or something anyway.

While I root for Touka x Kaneki, I'm enjoying their lack of interaction more. Back when they did talk, it was always Touka verbally abusing him. That not only highlights Kaneki's weakness, but also brings out our frustration towards it. Now she's brooding silently and he's working without a word to them. This quiet mysteriousness is more romantic than anything they've done thus far.

By far the most mysterious is Kaneki's friend though. After a season and more, I still don't know what his deal is. He's not afraid of ghouls. He just appears completely altruistic in helping his friend. People like that either have an ulterior agenda, or they die a horrible death.

Kraco
Fri, 01-23-2015, 09:37 AM
While I root for Touka x Kaneki, I'm enjoying their lack of interaction more. Back when they did talk, it was always Touka verbally abusing him. That not only highlights Kaneki's weakness, but also brings out our frustration towards it. Now she's brooding silently and he's working without a word to them. This quiet mysteriousness is more romantic than anything they've done thus far.

Now that you mention it, that's absolutely true. I suppose Touka now knows Kaneki can do something finally and isn't weak anymore, but on the other hand he's gone and she can only imagine what he might be able to do. Of course the cafe isn't a proponent of heavy action, but I reckon the ghouls have in their genes a desire to be strong. That might have been everything that was needed to push their relationship forward, as it hardly seemed to be going anywhere back when Kaneki was weak and Touka was verbally abusing him any chance she got. Poor Hinami, though. Kaneki might have been the most important of the people she had left.

Kraco
Thu, 01-29-2015, 12:01 PM
Episode 4 - HS

- --- -

If I was designing a maximum security prison for man-eater monsters, I would design it so that when a general alarm is on and a control panel is smashed, all the cell doors will not open at once, releasing the extremely dangerous inmates. Instead the doors would be double locked in such a fashion that it would take a couple of totally offsite persons with their special keys to even begin to unlock them. Furthermore, if during that double locked period one of the cells was still breached, the rest would be automatically filled with toxic gas, strong acid, or whatever it takes to kill even the strongest of ghouls. But I guess the author of this story considered the opposite to be wiser...

Quite a lousy episode also otherwise. Most if not all of the fights were stupid and clearly suffered from animation budget constraints. This was like watching the first season all over again.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-30-2015, 03:46 AM
The fights were just largely meaningless in that I don't understand why they need to happen at all. In the end I'm just watching this for the sake of watching it though so that's alright.

It was a pretty fanservicey episode actually, with eating out Mado's daughter and all.

MFauli
Fri, 01-30-2015, 02:39 PM
If I was designing a prison for monsters, Id fucking build my headquarters DIRECTLY on top of it.
Seriously, that was so stupid. Gather s-ranked monsters in one location, do not prepare for strong monsters attacking from outside, ... profit. :|

And I will never understand how these investigators can keep up with ghouls, nor why using sword-shaped quinques that are nothing but ... swords are such special weaponry. Ghouls should be faster, stronger and more durable that investigators, no matter how hard they trained. The only thing that makes sense is that special quinque suit that was introduced in a flashback and is now used again.

Also, Mado´s daughter has super hot legs and I hope there will be h-doujins featuring her in a helpless state!

Buffalobiian
Fri, 01-30-2015, 10:48 PM
They build it elsewhere because it's supposed to be a secret location. They manufacture Quinques etc so will need logistical support. It's a bit hard to do that when there's a bunch of regular shift-working mobs right above you.

As for Quinque, do not forget that ghouls are supposed to be immune to things like regular attacks such as punches. That said, it's also been shown that they can die from gunfire and also giant falling pillars, so it's not set in stone what can and can't hurt them. I was under the impression that regular blades break on contact or something, but I might be wrong there.

Quinque suits weren't in flashbacks. They were used in the fight against the owl which happened recently.

Also, Mado´s daughter has super hot legs and I hope there will be h-doujins featuring her in a helpless state!

You saying that with Mado as your avatar just makes that all more the more creepy.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 01-30-2015, 11:35 PM
You saying that with Mado as your avatar just makes that all more the more creepy.

LOL. That line was the only good thing in this episode.

Oh wait, there was Akira. Her voice really matches her look really well. Clean and sharp. Sexy. The masculine name and lower voice pitch are also a perfect match.

Everything else was a mess. The action direction for this show is horrid. It's like I'm watching American cartoons. The duo fight with Akira and whatshisname was the worst one.

MFauli
Thu, 02-05-2015, 01:40 PM
episode 5 is out
---------------------

this is so dumb. Everybody knows each knows each other, like some cheap sitcom. And those agents are showing a ridiculous amount of pity and empathy. Their organization exists to dispose of ghouls, yet they dont kill the strongest of them when they have the chance to.

Also, what happened when Juozo delivered the, supposedly, final blow to Shiro-girl? After the cut, nothing could be seen, she looked perfectly fine. As much as i dislike Juozo, seeing those arrogant pseudo-twins put down was great. Now someone please kill that mummy girl in red.

Kraco
Thu, 02-05-2015, 02:08 PM
Good thing Touka and Kaneki were separated. Kaneki seems to be clinically insane now, even though he looked quite stable right after the torture. But perhaps, in retrospect, that was actually alarming. Apparently he's like a time bomb. Touka doesn't need such a crazy bastard anywhere nearby, Hinami even less so.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 02-06-2015, 12:22 AM
Okay, so I haven't read the manga up to this point, but when I watched this episode, I simply thought, "there is no way the manga can be this bad," judging from what I have read of it.

So I went ahead and skipped to the chapter that had this battle, and I have been reeducated about the stupidity of the human race. It was like they took everything that was bad about these scenes, made it 10x worst, then gouged out all the good parts.

This entire anime series is a concentrated pile of crap made from the manga's fecal matter. I will now drop this and resume the manga.

All your complaints either don't exist in the manga, or actually make sense.

Kraco
Thu, 02-19-2015, 12:03 PM
Episode 7 - HS

- - - - - -- -

I suppose Kaneki could have told Touka that getting horribly tortured for who knows how long sometimes changes the victim a little. But I guess he was too busy getting beaten by Touka to tell her how senseless violence changed him...

I wish it was Hinami who met him. I bet she wouldn't have started beating an already beaten man. But then again, Touka, and most of them, are genuine ghouls, so violence must be in their genes and they think nothing of it. Touka ought to understand Kaneki used to be an ordinary human, but she's too busy beating him to bother understanding.

MFauli
Thu, 02-19-2015, 03:01 PM
It was completely unrealistic how Hinami rushed to Touka instead of meeting Kaneki herself, when we had just gone through half an episode of her contemplating her love for Kaneki.

Btw. who was that green haired girl, i have no idea at all who she was. I assume shes not a ghoul, thus recommending Anteiku to the ghoul investigators.

My biggest complaint, though: I still hate the change of character in Kaneki. I wanted to follow his gradual evolution from a whiny newcomer to a valuable member of Anteiku. Instead his entiry persona changed within an episode (or two), killing off the guy we had to watch for half a season. Its just lazy writing in my opinion.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 02-19-2015, 03:09 PM
I think she IS a ghoul. Like that bandage masked one. I think the voice is similar. She also responded to Kaneki's name during the signing of the book. At least I think she did.

And is the manager the Owl or his brother or somethnig?

Kraco
Thu, 02-19-2015, 03:57 PM
Instead his entiry persona changed within an episode (or two), killing off the guy we had to watch for half a season. Its just lazy writing in my opinion.

Just like Touka you are underestimating the impact of such a prolonged experience, which was expressly meant to break him. It would have been unrealistic if he hadn't changed. Furthermore, I'm satisfied by the fact he's somewhat unstable and even insane now. It's a suitable accumulated effect from first losing his humanity and being introduced to the crazy ghoul world, then getting tortured in ways that would have made the best medieval professionals green with envy, and lastly he's losing control of himself and finding himself cannibalising against his will. You think that's not enough to change a man?

The green haired one is surely a ghoul. I don't know what kind of a game she's playing, though, but the ghouls are hardly a unified group. Anything but. I don't remember if the first season showed it, but I believe the manager is the Owl. My memory is poor, though.

MFauli
Thu, 02-19-2015, 04:27 PM
Just like Touka you are underestimating the impact of such a prolonged experience, which was expressly meant to break him. It would have been unrealistic if he hadn't changed. Furthermore, I'm satisfied by the fact he's somewhat unstable and even insane now. It's a suitable accumulated effect from first losing his humanity and being introduced to the crazy ghoul world, then getting tortured in ways that would have made the best medieval professionals green with envy, and lastly he's losing control of himself and finding himself cannibalising against his will. You think that's not enough to change a man?

Oh, you misunderstood me. Im not saying his change was entirely unrealistic. I simply personally hate it. I prefer character-driven anime, but by virtually killing off the main character, Tokyo Ghoul is no a story-driven anime. The can be fun, too, but I don´t like the switch.

Kraco
Thu, 02-19-2015, 05:21 PM
Oh, you misunderstood me. Im not saying his change was entirely unrealistic. I simply personally hate it. I prefer character-driven anime, but by virtually killing off the main character, Tokyo Ghoul is no a story-driven anime. The can be fun, too, but I don´t like the switch.

Right. But this works for me. He was so unbelievably annoying during the bulk of the first season that I was hoping for his death. The rather sudden change was absolutely the next best thing to happen.

Buffalobiian
Sat, 02-21-2015, 03:04 AM
The manager is the owl, and the green haired girl is the bandaged ghoul. None of this is confirmed, but the that's what we're led to believe.

The worst thing about this anime isn't the character change, it's that I have no idea what is going on anymore. Why was Tarzan important? What was the assault at the Cochraine thing about? Did Owl just save Kaneki and dump him outside?

Argh.

Xelbair
Thu, 02-26-2015, 06:26 AM
This series has been like that since s1 sadly.

Needles violence to attract people, some mystery and drama.. but 0 explanation of anything.
They've just mashed edgy and cool elements with some typical plot devices.

EDIT

i've got no idea why i am even watching this series. it doesn't even make sense.

why have prison for the DANGEROUS AS FUCK ghouls? you need them to experiment on? why keep so many of them then? there were nearly as much of them in that prison as there are in whole anti-ghoul party of wonders, not to mention only like 1% can even fight them, and only part of that 1% can fight against stronger ones.

why did anteiku oldfags suicide? they could've easily escape - especially when they were WARNED that attack is incoming(by their enemy to boot - why?)? they wanted to be punished? dumb as fuck - looking at the owner's character so far - he would rather ATONE for his sins than suicide.

what they did was acutally helping aogiri - diminishing CCG manpower, removing anteiku(who were probably only organized group opposed to aogiri).

and obviously everyone can find Kaneki whenever they can.. oh wait they couldn't find him for ages despite knowing or having hunches about his wereabouts before!

thankfully it is not as bad as Guilty Crown.. but it is up there. so much wasted potential.

EDIT 2
yes i know my sig is not working, i need to find it on my hdd and reupload it - no idea where i've put it.

Kraco
Fri, 03-06-2015, 12:57 PM
Episode 9 - HS

- ----- - -

The anti-ghoul office sure is a shitty workplace. They know they are against powerful opponents, yet they send in first the regular grunts armed with nothing but ordinary SMGs. Only after those poor men have died by the dozen, the commanders deign to send in the specialists. Hard to see what sort of logic this strategy is supposed to follow. I hope Kaneki's role in this messy slaughter is mainly to save Touka.

MFauli
Fri, 03-06-2015, 08:16 PM
I think it´s clear that Japan simply sucks at strategy. First Parasyte, now Tokyo Ghoul. What´s up with all those suicide agents lol.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-06-2015, 08:42 PM
What´s up with all those suicide agents lol.

They're Japanese. Need I say more?

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 03-07-2015, 03:34 PM
Too bad all of the Ghouls forgot they had Kagune. I mean I've only seen the Owl use it. The Devil Ape just jumped around with his crew. The Black Dobbers used knifes or something. And I thought Ghouls were somewhat...rare. Or at least uncommon. Now they are showing up by the dozens. I mean come on....

MFauli
Thu, 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
episode 11 is out
----------------------

just to be clear: nobody thinks this is a good anime, right?

:/
Wow, what a mess. Nothing makes sense. Nothing.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Not a lot is making sense indeed.
Though the girl being his kid did surprise me. I somehow thought he had a son.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-19-2015, 11:35 PM
I dropped it and read the manga. Best decision I've made in years, well aside from quitting alcoholism.

Xelbair
Fri, 03-20-2015, 10:23 AM
is manga any beter? because so far anime series is just godawful. it makes no sense - either plot, random characters appearing and dying, character's themselves are badly written, logical faults in nearly everything.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Manga is much better. I'd say start reading from the beginning. Kaneki and Touka's relationship is developed much better. The major deviation starts at the invasion at the end of season one. They cut out the best fight in the entire manga, Kaneki vs. Touka's bro.

MFauli
Fri, 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM
i dont see how a manga-version would fix the major problems, aka humans fighting on par with ghouls.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 03-20-2015, 04:10 PM
Well, they are still images. You get to imagine how it somehow happened instead of seeing horrendous animation chucking it into your face.

And in the manga, inspectors die left and right, especially in the sequel (yes, the manga has a sequel).

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Man, I caught up thinking this had ended and look what I find...

I don't know what's worse: parts of Code Geas S2, Darker than Black Gemini - or Tokyo Ghoul post-episode 03.

Admittedly it was fun watching fights back to back but that was it.

Xelbair
Thu, 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM
I wouldn't use code geas S2 - it wasn't THAT bad and it at least made sense(partially).
it is closer to Guilty Crown - the queen/king/supreme being of wasted potential.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-26-2015, 10:32 AM
That's true. I forgot about GC. That one did have good soundtracks though.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 03-26-2015, 10:33 AM
Guilty Crown, you got that right.

The only potential that didn't waste was the music.

EDIT: Buff beat me by a stupid second.

Buffalobiian
Thu, 03-26-2015, 12:08 PM
I beat you by a whole minute. Round it up.

HS - S2 Episode 12 (http://www.nyaa.se/?page=download&tid=670453)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you get from that? Nothing? Good, me neither.

Except that you keep living despite shit happening in your life.

NeoCybercoin
Thu, 03-26-2015, 02:04 PM
.......what just happened?

MFauli
Fri, 03-27-2015, 07:11 PM
This is over now, right? No season 3? good.

disregarding how shit this anime was: WHY ARE THEY EVEN FIGHTING? Everbody is soooo emotional. Shouldnt they realize that each other is an intelligent being that deserves to keep on living?

And random lol thought: Surely, someone must have realized about the mass production of all the gang members clothing :D

Munsu
Mon, 10-12-2015, 07:53 AM
This is over now, right? No season 3? good.

disregarding how shit this anime was: WHY ARE THEY EVEN FIGHTING? Everbody is soooo emotional. Shouldnt they realize that each other is an intelligent being that deserves to keep on living?

And random lol thought: Surely, someone must have realized about the mass production of all the gang members clothing :D

WRONG!!!

Season 3 will be here in 2016 or so:

Mobile game publisher GameSamba posted a press release last month to announce a Tokyo Ghoul mobile game, and the announcement included a quotation from FUNimation Entertainment CEO and President Gen Fukunaga stating that a third Tokyo Ghoul anime season is "set for 2016."

GameSamba and Funimation have the same parent company, Group 1200 Media. The two subsidiaries previously announced a free-to-play online Fairy Tail RPG.

The Tokyo Ghoul mobile game for Android and iOS is also slated for 2016.

Funimation confirmed with ANN that it is "anticipating a 2016 release," but the company did not specify whether it meant a release for the mobile game or the anime's third season. The company did not respond to ANN's requests for clarification as of press time.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-11/funimation-gen-fukunaga-tokyo-ghoul-season-3-set-for-2016/.93865

I haven't watched the second season yet, though I just got myself the BD versions so I'll do so soon.

KrayZ33
Mon, 10-12-2015, 12:52 PM
I watched the 2nd just recently, I still like the story, but the fights were really underwhelming this time around, the visuals too, especially each ghoul's Kagune.
Preferred the first one, I remember Toukas kagune shimmering like a bright fire and it was quite gorgeous, can't say I've seen something similiar in S2.
Huge quality drop in my opinion... however, maybe I'm just remembering S1 wrong

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-12-2015, 01:03 PM
The quality dropped. I dropped the 2nd season after seeing the ridiculous fight between Kaneki and the kung fu guy. It was like watching a parody, only it isn't. I decided to continue with the manga and did not regret a second of doing so.

Munsu
Mon, 10-12-2015, 04:59 PM
The quality dropped. I dropped the 2nd season after seeing the ridiculous fight between Kaneki and the kung fu guy. It was like watching a parody, only it isn't. I decided to continue with the manga and did not regret a second of doing so.

From what I understand they also fucked up the story in the 2nd season, though maybe you didn't get that far.

shinta|hikari
Mon, 10-12-2015, 05:01 PM
They already fucked up the story in the first season. It was a given, so I didn't mention it.

Munsu
Thu, 04-05-2018, 09:40 AM
First episode of third season, Tokyo Ghoul: re

https://nyaa.si/view/1023033/torrent

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 04-06-2018, 12:55 AM
So....did Kaneki get transplanted into that Hasai or whatever his name is?

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-06-2018, 08:45 AM
Yes, he did.

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 04-06-2018, 05:24 PM
Feels like it's going down the Claymore path that way only with dudes this time.

shinta|hikari
Fri, 04-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Except he is Kaneki himself.

Buffalobiian
Fri, 04-06-2018, 09:37 PM
How'd S2 of this end up going? I watched S1 and thought the only good episodes were the first 3.

NeoCybercoin
Sat, 04-07-2018, 05:54 AM
I think S2 ended with Kaneki fighting this dude with a rather weirdly colored Quinque or whatever it's called. You saw the start and the end. The end was that Kaneki just wasn't there anymore so you didn't even see the fight.

NeoCybercoin
Wed, 04-11-2018, 05:15 AM
New ep is out. And so that takes care of that little mystery.

He really is Kaneki just...with amnesia. Kind of a lame trope.

KrayZ33
Sat, 04-14-2018, 06:42 AM
The whole show is pretty lame so far.
The new characters are pretty much all unlikable.