PDA

View Full Version : Summer Season 2014: Early Impressions

MFauli
Fri, 07-04-2014, 01:13 PM
Last thread was very useful to myself (other than idiotically ignoring Knights of Sidonia), so hereīs the summer season.

I havenīt watched any new anime, yet, but feel free to post your impressions after watching the first episode. Itīs dearly appreciated.

MasterOfMoogles
Fri, 07-04-2014, 02:59 PM
So far I've watched the new Free! It is about as bad as the first one...

NeoCybercoin
Fri, 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM
Tokyo Ghoul looks good and interesting so I am definitely going to watch that one all the way.

animus
Fri, 07-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Only watched Tokyo Ghoul and Glass Lip. Tokyo Ghoul was interesting. Glass Lip was average so far, not sure where it's going to go.

David75
Sat, 07-05-2014, 12:39 AM
Tokyo Ghoul isn't my thing at all. Will stop at ep 1. It's not good or bad. Just not my thing.

Bakumatsu Rock: Dumb idea for a setting. Some fun here and there, but I will not watch it again unless this season is boring as hell.

Glasslip: It might be there's something in that show worth watching, but they didn't show it in the first ep. Will give second ep a chance

Argevollen: Mech anime, the scenario for that first ep was as generic as a first ep can be for a shounen mech show. Are such stories OpenSource/Gnu ?

Locodol: Low budget show, animation is almost non existent. Story feels a little empty. Wake up Girls! 2 seasons ago was a lot more entertaining in that low budget local idol anime slot.

Rail wars: For trains Otakus only? I tried to be interrested, but honestly it was hard to finish the ep. Even for train lovers, train trivia was not that interresting.

That's it for the first batch, and it does not start well...

deathnightwc3
Sat, 07-05-2014, 01:36 AM
I watched the first episode of Shirogane no Ishi: Argevollen. I haven't seen anything related to this anime aside from this first episode and honestly, the episode was a little lackluster. We'll probably watch the pilot in the next few episodes work his way to understanding his new mech. But the problem for me was it just didn't hook me in, overall lackluster imo.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 07-05-2014, 03:51 AM
I caught up on some of the new shows.

Tokyo Ghoul: Probably the most interesting so far. Not much to say about the first epsiode. We'll need to wait for episode 2 to see what approach they take to this situation.

Argevollen: Man, I feel like their mechs just suck in general. Of course, MC has to get a super cool mech randomly. I'm still waiting to see if there is going to be anything to set this apart.

Locodol: Pretty meh overall. I do like that the uncle is basically whoring out his niece, but other than that, there isn't anything interesting about this show. This doesn't look like it is going to be as "idol" as LoveLive and Idolmatser or have an interesting take on idols like Wake Up Girls.

Glasslip: Pretty standard PA Works fair here. The relationships are confusing and the dialogue is all over the place. I'm expecting this to be more of Hanasaku/TariTari/NagiAsu but not as good.

MFauli
Sat, 07-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Glasslip: First of all, is this supposed to be read "Glass Lip"? Anyways, super generic. Canīt say much, since they didnīt show much in the first episode. Artstyle is borderline imo, eyes are a bit too big, but for now itīs okay. Seems to be slice of life with some sort of magical element hinted at. Need more to conclude.

Tokyo Ghoul: I liked it. Thereīs a lot of explaining needed (why did they just implant Ghoul-parts into him without supervising him later on? Why isnīt he seeking help? Why did they apparently release someone who got new organs after a few days in hospital? Why is Touko so much stronger than the other guy? What makes one Ghoul more powerful than the other?), but for what it was, it was good. Although I wonder where the story will go. I expected Touko to be member of some special anti-Ghoul forces, not being a Ghoul herself, lol. A cast of main characters that kill and eat other human beings? Interesting.

Free! Eternal Summer: A bit on the gay side of things, lol, but other than that it felt like a genuine sports anime about swimming. I hope this focuses more on the action and doesnīt go full-shoujo like Haikyuu. Solid, not spectacular. Will keep watching for now.

Rail Wars: That was stupid. I expected this to different. Almost quit watching when the red haired girl jumped over the tree in the very beginning. Just too stupid. And why are they undergoing all this weapon training when theyīre just checking tickets and stuff? Also, red haired girl AND teacher want to shoot/kill molesters? Fuck off. Will probably drop and just wait for a bunch of nice h-doujinishi to be released.

Sword Art Online 2: See separate thread. In short: More of the same.

Shounen Hollywood: That was fun. An anime about a male idol group? Thatīs something new. The poses were damn embarrassing indeed, lol. Will keep watching.

Barakamon: Fun first episode, the little girl really made it work. However, this could quickly go boring. Wait and see-approach.

Aldnoah.Zero: Generic story so far, but amazing Sawano-music. Will give it another episode.

David75
Sat, 07-05-2014, 10:22 AM
Regarding Free, the first season was also borderline gay... to a male audience. I guess this is fanservice for the female and gay audience...

David75
Sun, 07-06-2014, 02:56 AM
Double post for the premieres that do not have a thread yet (and I guess only one might be worth it)

Shounen Hollywood:
Yay, male idol group in the making. Nothing worth watching or to get me to ep 2.

PriPara:
Yay, 10 year old girls idols in a fairy tale world with accessories to buy in the real life. Why should I watch it?
Oh, remember I do not read synopis anymore. So I can get that kind of non related to my audience category anime.

Barakamon:
That one has potential for dedicated thread.
I had some laughs, good characters/VAs synergies. I hope ep2 will not dissapoint. I guess breaking MC's stiffness/seriouness/depression/self-isolation in ep01 is a good point as we won't have a painfully long arc with him opening to others like in many other anime.

MasterOfMoogles
Sun, 07-06-2014, 04:08 AM
More impressions:
Aldnoah Zero:
Exposition overload! Way too much exposition, but overall pretty interesting so I'm excited for me.

Barakamon:
I didn't really know what to expect with this, and still don't. For the most part this seems like an odd-couple slice-of-life story. The characters are interesting enough so far, so I'm looking forward to the next episode.

Sailor Moon Crystal:
It is Sailor Moon. You should know what to expect. I got a few laughs out of Usagi being an idiot and Tuxedo Mask being ridiculous.

Rail Wars:
The setting is kind of weird and doesn't make much sense. The first episode plowed through their exposition. I'll stay on to see if this actually turns into another on-the-job comedy type show like Working! or Servant x Service.

SAO 2:
Lots of talking heads in the first episode, but it should only get better.

I would say Tokyo Ghoul, Aldnoah Zero, and SAO are leading the pack right now, with Barakamon following up. Everything else is mediocre or trash so far.
There is nothing compelling me to watch Shounen Hollywood or Bakumatsu Rock, so I'm skipping those. And PuriPara, lol...
Looking at the anichart, I'll probably also be skipping Dramatical Murder and Love Stage (too much BL) and Nobunaga Concerto (Sengoku Basara is enough Sengoku for me).

David75
Sun, 07-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Space Dandy 2:
That first ep was boring. But it happened also in season 1 and some other eps were entertaining. So I'll keep an eye on it.

Akame ga Kill!:
Well, at the beginning and watching the OP, I thought I'd stopped at ep 1. But somehow I might watch that show. Some humor and crazyness felt nice.

David75
Sun, 07-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Dramatical Murder:
My hopes weren't high, and really it didn't disappoint...
Bishounen every corner, in strange clothing, lots of colors. Seems like MC suffers from memory loss and headaches, but is in fact a master at a dangerous virtual game. Not my thing.

MFauli
Sun, 07-06-2014, 03:25 PM
Akame ga Kill!: Dropped. Couldnīt make it beyond the opening animation. Cheap animation and a generic hero slaying a 20 meter big dragon without any effort, jumping dozens of meter through air, and calling said dragon a "worthy opponent". A "worthy opponent" is someone you can beat effortlessly? Give me a break. Away with this shit.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: Dropped, didnīt grab me. I guess if youīre in the mood for some reverse-romance anime, go for it.

animus
Sun, 07-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Akame ga Kill!: Dropped. Couldnīt make it beyond the opening animation. Cheap animation and a generic hero slaying a 20 meter big dragon without any effort, jumping dozens of meter through air, and calling said dragon a "worthy opponent". A "worthy opponent" is someone you can beat effortlessly? Give me a break. Away with this shit.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun: Dropped, didnīt grab me. I guess if youīre in the mood for some reverse-romance anime, go for it.

Should've watched Akame a bit further.

shinta|hikari
Sun, 07-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Should've watched Akame a bit further.

I cannot second this enough. Watch the whole episode. That generic scene was there for a reason, and it is not what you think it is.

David75
Sun, 07-06-2014, 11:28 PM
I almost dropped it too. Might happen in ep2, but after watching ep1 till the end, somehow I don't think so...

David75
Mon, 07-07-2014, 03:03 PM
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun:
Girl likes boy. Boy is a shojo mangaka. She becomes his assistant and can't properly declare her love for him.
Most of the relationship tricks are overused, charaters too, but I had a good laugh. I guess it's the shojo version of Mangaka-san to Assistant-san to.

Hanayamata:
Art is a little hard to get to, faces/eyes and horrible teeth for that blond girl.
I might get interrested, I was able to watch it till the end and it was fine for a first episode.

Ao Haru Ride:
A shojo, been a long time since I watched one. Seems a little complicated tough, but if it's good why not.

Re-Hamatora:
Hamatora again. I remember watching the first season, but not liking it enough to wait for a second one. I was watching it to kill time.
Well that first ep didn't manage even that level. A bit like the first ep of season to of Space Dandy.

Buffalobiian
Tue, 07-08-2014, 12:34 AM
Ao Haru Ride:
A shojo, been a long time since I watched one.

Lies (http://forums.gotwoot.net/search.php?do=finduser&userid=11697&searchthreadid=22879&contenttype=vBForum_Post&showposts=1)

I'm still waiting for someone (FFF?) to sub Jinsei. Can't possibly pass up on a title like that.

shinta|hikari
Tue, 07-08-2014, 07:55 AM
Yeah, and if you try to say Soredemo is not shoujo, well, I will have no choice but to LOL.

I still like Hamatora, especially with more focus on Hajime. She is just so effing cute. Nice being all badass is great as always.

Barakamon was surprisingly entertaining. I am curious to see how his new life will change his art.

David75
Tue, 07-08-2014, 01:46 PM
Somehow, I must have problems with my memory. Or I do not really understand the definition.
when I wrote that, I thought Kimi in todoke. Can't believe Soredemo didn't come to mind.

MasterOfMoogles
Wed, 07-09-2014, 04:22 AM
Blue Spring (Ao Haru) Ride:
Way too shoujo for me. There just weren't any interesting hooks at all in this show. Girl and guy like each other in middle school, separate on a bad note (which was just stupid) and meet up again to find they've both changed. Neither character is very likable in my opinion so I'm just not interested. I'll probably watch another just to see who the side characters are and if there are any redeeming qualities.

Monthly Girls' (Gekkan Shoujo) Nozaki-kun:
Also shoujo, but I liked the comedy approach here. The characters are likable, unlike the above show. I liked the bike gag and I hope they revisit it later.

Hanayamata:
Where the MC wants the show to be as boring as possible. I have nothing against cute girls doing random club X, but please, don't be all emo about not even wanting to do anything. Hopefully that is all resolved now and they can actually gather the members and do something. Still, this is a very slice-of-life show, so I wouldn't expect too much.

Space Dandy 2:
More of the same. I got exactly what I expected with Space Dandy this season (which isn't much).

Akame ga Kill:
The show seems like it isn't really sure if it wants to be serious or comedy, so it is stuck in this weird in-between. They play up some tropes and subvert them in obvious ways as if to poke fun, but then use other tropes straight. Hopefully this show figures out what it wants to be, because the first episode was enjoyable enough.

Sabagebu:
About halfway through the first episode, I thought this was somehow going to manage to be as bad or worse than Gainax's survival game anime. I feel like they redeemed themselves a little with the battle. Still not expecting much from the rest of this show though.

Jinsei:
This seems like another "sit in a room and talk about stuff" comedy reminiscent of Seitokai no Ichizon, but the characters are a little less wacky (more like they're just awkward/weird in certain ways). I'll give it a few more to prove itself, but nothing outstanding came from episode 1.

Himegoto:
4 min anime about a trap? Maybe if there was something interesting at all to go on, but I think I'm dropping this one.

MFauli
Fri, 07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Locodol: Well, slice of life mixed with an idol-theme. More specifically, the "manager" of a quiet, too quiet town wants to revive the townīs image. Therefore, he attempts to establish the socalled Locodols, local idols. And, of course, he uses his niece for that. Haha. Donīt know where all of this goes, but Iīll give it a fair chance.

David75
Fri, 07-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Sabagebu!
Theme isn't my thing, everything feels so under-average in that anime.

Love Stage!
Yaoi

Jinsei
I hope it gets funier. I like some of those shows with small funny scenes/stories. But they have to deliver, and I don't remember laughing with that one.

Momokyun sword
Take Momotarou, change him to a big breasted girl for fanservice. Add 4 or five celestial girls, have them fight the oni and hope to be entertained.

Ilya 2
Well, continuation to the first season, will watch it, eventhough that spinoff isn't my thing.

Majimoji Rurumo
I don't know why I watched that one till the end and maybe even liked it.
After all, MC is your stereotype anime perv male teen, poorly drawn too. Animation is subpar. Female MC is a very old underage witch, with a nice design. Somehow, some subplot developments/conclusions were fun/unusual. Maybe that's why I liked it and hope it can keep it going.

Yama no susume 2
Girls like mountain hiking, girls do that in their gardens etc... well droped.

Zankyou no Terror
Some action, mystery and we're following some teen(?)-terrorists. That first episode didn't really cover enough material to really grasp anything conclusive. I might watch ep 2 to see how it develops, eventhough it wasn't my thing.

Rokujouma no Shinryakusha
A ghost, an inhabitant of the underworld, a magical(cosplay?)-girl, an alien girl, probably a goddess (or spirit) all want the male teen MC's room for their own agendas. Two of said girls wanting world domination, no less.
All those introductions where happening so fast that it felt more than forced, like ducks or gooses (tastier) being fed for foie gras...
In short, no fun.

Tokyo ESP
Diet building flying, people being slaughtered here and there by angry espers that resort to terrorism to get what they want.
Tiresome.

MasterOfMoogles
Sat, 07-12-2014, 06:31 PM
I think all of the shows have aired now?

Ilya 2
More of the same, let's hope for some more laughs and cool fight scenes.

Persona 4 Golden
I didn't really understand how they were going to redo this, but so far they've kept it interesting. I like that the MC is slightly different in personality this time around, almost like he is going new game +.

Majimoji Rurumo
First episode was kind of stupid. I'll give it a little bit more, but I don't know...

Momokyun Sword
Breasts! That is what I understood from watching the first episode. This show doesn't have a very high bar and I don't expect anything.

Terror in Resonance (Zankyou no Terror)
Not enough to really go on in episode 1. Seems like they have something interesting though, so I'm intrigued.

Tokyo ESP
It is X-MEN in Tokyo. As someone who has read the manga, I'm kind of shocked they started at the climax and had a full episode of it without cutting back to the beginning. Also, LOL at the characters from Ga-Rei Zero being in this. That made my day.

Rokujyoma no Shinraksha (Invaders of Rokujyoma?)
At first I was like "What is this? Nanana?" But it is apparently way more ridiculous than that. Various magical girl tropes all living together? Seems amusing enough. They didn't really set up where they were going to go in ep1, but I'll at least keep watching.

Sengoku Basara 3?
I don't like this alternate route they're going. If they don't have more "Are you ready? Put ya guns on!" "Brast off!" or just general Date Masamune Engrish, I'll be sad.

Looks like the only thing left is maybe Serei Tsukai no Blade Dance. I'm skipping Nobunaga Concerto and various BL/Shoujo titles.

MFauli
Fri, 07-18-2014, 07:06 PM
Tokyo ESP Episode 01:

Donīt know what to think about it. This first episode went all out, lots of gruesome murders. I hate the "white girl" already - there you have an anime introducing a rather realistic, gruesome world, and then you introduce your typical, generic hot, young girl to save the day? Sucks. :/
Will give it at least one more ep to decide.