PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Shinta|hikari!

Kraco
Tue, 06-17-2014, 12:36 PM
I hope this birthday has treated you with less corruption and rain, and more Italian food than the previous one. Although I admit for us outsiders the story of your last year's birthday was far more interesting than a regular birthday would make. But I reckon you aren't one for regular birthdays anyway (whatever those might be).

Have a good one!

Animeniax
Tue, 06-17-2014, 12:49 PM
Happy birthday Shinta!

Penner
Tue, 06-17-2014, 02:25 PM
Happy Birthday!!

Ryllharu
Tue, 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM
Happy Birthday!

shinta|hikari
Tue, 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys.

I actually went to Vegas during the weekend for this birthday. I was gifted a helicopter tour of the Grand Canyon by my friends. I traveled alone, which led to me meeting a lot of people which is a good thing. I heard a lot of funny stories, like this dude who got lost and texted his friends for help. His friends asked what he could see to approximate his location, and he replied, "I see a lot of lights..."

I did a lot of things like the Sky Jump (just to erase the trauma of my previous near death birthday) and had a fantastic time, especially with the lap dances.

What did piss me off was Spirit airlines. I booked using a booking site, so I had no idea they had so many random fees in exchange for the low ticket prices. They charge you for carry on! water! leg room! boarding passes! good will! And to top it all off, they were delayed for both departure and return flights to Minneapolis.

I have insomnia and I usually drink alcohol to get to sleep. I had 6 hours of sleep total for 3 straight days of travel and touring, so I wanted to drink before my flight so I can sleep during the ride. So I found a deserted place in the airport with a random electric socket on the floor (it had no reason to be there, really) to charge my phone on. I sat down and started drinking from the 375ml bottle of brandy that I brought with me. I was directly across the TSA security check, but the pay phones blocked the line of sight so we could not see each other. I had just enough in the bottle to make me sleepy for the next 2 hours. I fly in the next 2 hours after all, so I just matched that.

Then I go through security check, only to find out that my 12am flight is going to be 1.5 hours late, making my attempt at sleep futile, and my stay at the airport pretty horrible. I was so sleepy, but I could not sleep in fear of missing my flight. So I sat there and watched the Dai Shogun anime on my phone while trying not to fall asleep. Then the flight comes, I board, and I am completely awake. After an hour or so, I finally manage to nod off, but all of a sudden, the cabin goes bright because people did not close their windows despite being asleep! Night turned to day outside and ruined any chance of getting some shut eye. Moreover, Spirit does not have blankets, and the temp dropped significantly when we got close to Minneapolis, making it hard to sleep with my desert clothes.

I finally arrive at the airport, only to find out that the person who was supposed to pick me up had not even left the house. After waiting half an hour at the baggage claim area, the car finally arrives and I managed to get back home.

Then I unpacked my luggage, took a shower, then went to work.

Abdula
Tue, 06-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Happy Birthday, Shinta! May they never be boring.

Alhuin
Tue, 06-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Happy birthday fellow PS enthusiast!

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-18-2014, 12:16 AM
Damn that was a rough birthday trip shinta. Seemed like you had a good time during some bits anyway.. Happy Birthday!!

You need to get a snooze alarm for your phone.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-18-2014, 12:24 AM
Do not ever use Spirit Air Lines. If anything, my rant should have accomplished at least that. After my experience, I have vowed to be their eternal enemy.

Most people won't even have a chance to, but for those who do, don't.

@Buff - It was a great birthday weekend. The Spirit complaints do not even make up a tenth of it. I just thought that reading crap experiences is more entertaining than the usual fun trip stuff. Not sleeping is almost 2nd nature to me, so it was okay.

I don't get the snooze alarm though. What do you mean?

Buffalobiian
Wed, 06-18-2014, 03:18 AM
I don't get the snooze alarm though. What do you mean?

I thought you were afraid of missing your flight because you'd sleep through your alarm or turn it off without knowing. I have trouble like that in the morning as well so I set snooze alarms that will keep ringing every 5 minutes after 7am.

shinta|hikari
Wed, 06-18-2014, 07:59 AM
That was part of it. It was hard to predict how my body would work because I was so exhausted. Normally I can wake up right before the alarm sounds just using my body clock.

Another major reason I didn't try to sleep at the airport is fear of theft. I know it is pretty safe being among so many people, but having lived in wet corrupt hell for most of my life, that caution has been ingrained in me.

Xelbair
Sat, 06-21-2014, 07:50 AM
i am late but Happy Birthday nevertheless.

David75
Sun, 06-22-2014, 02:19 PM
Happy Birthday!