PDA

View Full Version : 2014 World Cup

rockmanj
Thu, 06-12-2014, 01:37 PM
I know this is a pretty international board, so I am sure some of us will be watching the World Cup. How are you watching and what team are you rooting for?

Animeniax
Thu, 06-12-2014, 05:11 PM
ESPN, rooting for the US until they lose, then Japan, then whichever team shows the most heart and skill.

I missed Brazil v Croatia but saw the highlights. The dive that led to the second goal for Brazil was disgusting.

Carnage
Fri, 06-13-2014, 03:55 PM
I don't know which was worse, Spain vs. Netherlands or last night's Heat vs. Spurs game.

darkshadow
Fri, 06-13-2014, 04:20 PM
spanked/destroyed/dead

Animeniax
Fri, 06-13-2014, 04:21 PM
Pretty awesome if you're a Spurs fan like me. The ESP/NED game was pretty cool, if you didn't mind seeing Spain give up with all that time remaining.

Animeniax
Sun, 06-15-2014, 02:00 PM
The Simpsons explains soccer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTgXMFoZ-s

poopdeville
Sun, 06-15-2014, 07:47 PM
Watching Brazil/Croatia now. Fuck that ref.

Even Brazil's third goal was bullshit. Brazil did a dirty tackle on a Croat, took the ball, and scored. Fuck that.

Watching Spain/Netherlands now. Wow, what is Spain thinking? Netherlands is bad ass. Especially Robben.

Watching England/Italy. This is what futbol is all about. Sportsmanship and gaming. I was almost moved to tears when those Italian players helped that English player (Sterling) with his leg cramps. Cahill fouled Barotelli and immediately apologized. And both were satisfied. Classy.

KrayZ33
Mon, 06-16-2014, 01:20 PM
GER 4-0 POR

feels good, pepe got what he deserved and ronaldo managed to hit a "1-man wall" with his free kick, holy crap I laughed so much

Dark Dragon
Mon, 06-16-2014, 05:15 PM
If the USA get through the group stage this year, Pepe will definitely be one of our mvp.

KrayZ33
Wed, 06-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Pepe.. probably the biggest asshole running around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWV1YBxQo44

I don't know why he is still allowed to play, in fact I'd put him into jail because most of his attacks are actually threatening the careers of his victims and are flat-out assaults

I'd like to hear what his teammates are thinking about him, they must hate him.

Animeniax
Wed, 06-18-2014, 10:39 PM
From my experience watching hockey, teammates love a guy like that. The more opponents hate him, the more his own team loves him.

Watching that video, I saw a few pretty bad attacks, but a lot were not. I'll say he's good at attacking the ball while defending himself, which results in a lot of stray cleat contact to his opponents. Meanwhile in most matches I see other players go for headers and kicks with no regard for who is around them, then they writhe on the ground in agony from any contact.

Best part is the mountain of a man at 2:55 who goes down like a sack of potatoes when Pepe shoulders him.

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2014, 02:57 AM
I'll say he's good at attacking the ball while defending himself,

he's not attacking the ball and that's the problem.

From my experience watching hockey, teammates love a guy like that.

then hockey must be a horrible sport, its not fun to play 10vs11 and not fun to defend against several free kicks just because 1 guy has a miserable temper

Animeniax
Thu, 06-19-2014, 08:24 AM
he's not attacking the ball and that's the problem.

then hockey must be a horrible sport, its not fun to play 10vs11 and not fun to defend against several free kicks just because 1 guy has a miserable temper

In some of those clips he's attacking the ball, particularly the ones where he's airborne. He does the smart thing and uses his legs to protect himself (by kicking at other players going for the ball). Maybe not illegal, maybe dirty, but effective. Most of what I saw were bad reactions to blatant diving and flopping, which would set anyone off.

True, playing 10-11 is a huge drain on your team. In hockey it's not so bad since penalties only last 2-5 minutes, and you don't permanently go down a man for a match. So maybe his teams don't love him, but they don't hate him either.

shinta|hikari
Thu, 06-19-2014, 09:16 AM
He was tiger kneeing everyone when he went for a header.

He is an asshole.

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2014, 11:08 AM
In some of those clips he's attacking the ball, particularly the ones where he's airborne. He does the smart thing and uses his legs to protect himself (by kicking at other players going for the ball)

why do you think that is "smart".. its a foul in every freaking situation, you use your upper torso not your knees and legs, wth

and his constant tackling with stretched out legs in that compilation is extremely dangerous, regardless of whether he is able to hit the ball first or not, its a foul

Animeniax
Thu, 06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Going vertical for headers puts you in danger of other players colliding with you. By raising your knees and legs you shield yourself a bit. Might not be the cleanest play but it's smart. They're considering making kids wear helmets at the high school level because of head injuries from mid-air collisions.

I don't dispute that he's an asshole, but some of his actions (like the Muller headbutt or the kicks to that first guy in the video) are out of frustration at the flopping and diving.

KrayZ33
Thu, 06-19-2014, 03:09 PM
what are you trying to say, I don't get it

By raising your knees and legs you shield yourself a bit.

by learning karate you can kick everyone on the field senseless

but some of his actions (like the Muller headbutt or the kicks to that first guy in the video) are out of frustration at the flopping and diving.

so? its okay to injure people out of frustration?
he didn't hurt müller by doing that, but his team.

@ topic

spain is out, sheesh

Animeniax
Thu, 06-19-2014, 06:49 PM
what are you trying to say, I don't get it

by learning karate you can kick everyone on the field senseless

so? its okay to injure people out of frustration?
he didn't hurt müller by doing that, but his team.

@ topic

spain is out, sheesh

England is out too. (edit: with a loss or tie with Costa Rica this weekend)

What I'm saying is, if you jump into the air with your legs dangling, another guy who also jumps will crash into you, possibly headbutting, slamming your torso, or taking your legs out from under you. If you jump with you legs pulled up and flailing, the other guy who jumps at you will pay the price by eating foot or knee.

I'm not saying it's ok that he acts out and gets violent. I'm just saying I understand why he does. There's too much flopping and diving in this sport that it's ruining the game.

Edort4
Fri, 06-20-2014, 02:13 AM
England is out too. (edit: with a loss or tie with Costa Rica this weekend)

What I'm saying is, if you jump into the air with your legs dangling, another guy who also jumps will crash into you, possibly headbutting, slamming your torso, or taking your legs out from under you. If you jump with you legs pulled up and flailing, the other guy who jumps at you will pay the price by eating foot or knee.

I'm not saying it's ok that he acts out and gets violent. I'm just saying I understand why he does. There's too much flopping and diving in this sport that it's ruining the game.

I dont understand your point here. I mean that what that guy does is against the rules of football (soccer) and is considered "violent" game. Its not about if it makes sense or not. Its as if you say that its perfectly normal that in basketball you can tackle people down so they dont dunk or run with the ball without bouncing it cause it makes sense to go faster. Anyways this is a sport. No need for "preemptive strikes" (this has become something cultural in the nation since we know when).

I think that you mix up dirty game with foul/violent game. Its true that sometimes the line between them is thin but in general there is consensus about what falls inside each category. Anyway its true that there is a lot of diving that should be reason for a warning or some yellow cards. Sadly the directives of all big clubs and football organizations dont go that way cause usually the ones that "fool" the referee and get the prize from "cheating" are the top teams/players. Its like the financial crisis. If you, small fish, steal 100k$ you go to jail. If you, mister too big to fail, steal billions you get a bonus.

Sadly its how the world works and I aint seeing it change just to make sports more "fair".

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 07:02 AM
I think some rules don't make sense, and others don't address problems correctly. I see personally that if you jump for the ball, you leave yourself open to injury from other players jumping at you "going for the ball". So defending yourself by raising your legs is smart, plus it can help you get more air (how Michael Jordan used to jump so high and maintain so much air time). Your basketball analogy doesn't really work, as that sort of contact is blatant and not a part of the game. But in soccer, jumping for the ball, slide tackling, and clipping are common occurrences while going for the ball.

Some of what Pepe does is obviously foul and violent, like kicking that first guy repeatedly in the video. Dirty is more subjective, as you said, it skirts the line of what's allowed and what's not.

Splash!
Fri, 06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
I see personally that if you jump for the ball, you leave yourself open to injury from other players jumping at you "going for the ball". So defending yourself by raising your legs is smart, plus it can help you get more air (how Michael Jordan used to jump so high and maintain so much air time). Your basketball analogy doesn't really work, as that sort of contact is blatant and not a part of the game. But in soccer, jumping for the ball, slide tackling, and clipping are common occurrences while going for the ball.

I really don't understand the logic here. If two players are jumping for the ball, sure there is some risk to both players. It is only fair that one isn't allowed to raise their legs to *defend* themselves at the expense of the other also going for the ball. Why is it *smart* if one player blatantly disregards the rules to risk injury to the other one that is actually following them? That is just dirty...

In hockey, for example, keeping possession of the puck makes you fair game to hits from the opposing team (that's the rule). If the possessor were to raise his stick at the direction of the incoming player trying to make a hit to *defend* himself, I wouldn't call it smart but plain dirty.

Edort4
Fri, 06-20-2014, 07:32 AM
I think some rules don't make sense, and others don't address problems correctly. I see personally that if you jump for the ball, you leave yourself open to injury from other players jumping at you "going for the ball". So defending yourself by raising your legs is smart

Well first this is your preference. Not going to argue about preferences. Im only going to say that you should put that into some rebound in basketball, its almost the same situation. Just imagine a player jumping like that to get the rebound. The referee would die of suffocation from all the whistle blowing. If both players jump acconding to the rules you dont have to defend from anything is as simple as that and even more when its against the rules. Moreover when 95% of the hits come from elbows not knees thats why those are so blatantly judged and criminalized. Thats how football its regardless if you like or not. You could go and make your own sport like gladiatorball or rawnba or whatever you like.

And just because that kind of situations are common in football is why there are so many rules about it. And thats also the reason for so much controversy. Cause sometimes is so hard to appreciate the difference between a disputed ball and an agression that all falls on the intention judging of the referee. Its the beauty (and damnation) of that sport.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 08:12 AM
I really don't understand the logic here. If two players are jumping for the ball, sure there is some risk to both players. It is only fair that one isn't allowed to raise their legs to *defend* themselves at the expense of the other also going for the ball. Why is it *smart* if one player blatantly disregards the rules to risk injury to the other one that is actually following them? That is just dirty...

In hockey, for example, keeping possession of the puck makes you fair game to hits from the opposing team (that's the rule). If the possessor were to raise his stick at the direction of the incoming player trying to make a hit to *defend* himself, I wouldn't call it smart but plain dirty.

If they both jumped simultaneously then it's fair game, but the one who jumps first usually takes the worst of it, as he's both concentrating on the ball so he doesn't see it coming, and because the other guy jumps into him while "going for the ball".

In hockey, you can defend yourself from a hit by lowering your shoulder or getting out of the way. It's different when you're jumping in the air and at the mercy of gravity and any opponent who jumps at you.

Well first this is your preference. Not going to argue about preferences. Im only going to say that you should put that into some rebound in basketball, its almost the same situation. Just imagine a player jumping like that to get the rebound. The referee would die of suffocation from all the whistle blowing. If both players jump acconding to the rules you dont have to defend from anything is as simple as that and even more when its against the rules. Moreover when 95% of the hits come from elbows not knees thats why those are so blatantly judged and criminalized. Thats how football its regardless if you like or not. You could go and make your own sport like gladiatorball or rawnba or whatever you like.

And just because that kind of situations are common in football is why there are so many rules about it. And thats also the reason for so much controversy. Cause sometimes is so hard to appreciate the difference between a disputed ball and an agression that all falls on the intention judging of the referee. Its the beauty (and damnation) of that sport.Well basketball is different, as you jump with your arms up to grab the ball, and a lot of players use their arms to create space as they go for the ball. In soccer, you jump with your head as the highest point. It makes sense then to have your arms and legs outstretched to defend your body as well as to possibly get more lift.

I'm not for or against this rough play, I just understand why players do it and can't hate them for it.

Splash!
Fri, 06-20-2014, 08:35 AM
More often than not, both players jumping are focused on the ball. To say the one who jumped first by a fraction of a second should be able to defend himself by raising his legs is silly. If the one jumping *first* is at risk, so is the other one. What is to stop every other player from thinking they were first on the jump in the heat of the moment? Anyways, it doesn't matter if the rule makes sense (which I believe it does), the fact is that raising your legs like that is not a legal play. One player disregarding a rule to gain an advantage against those who are following it is by definition CHEATING (and definitely dirty if it increases the risk of injury to another). There is nothing subjective about it.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 08:49 AM
How is the one jumping second at as much risk as the first? Only if you naively assume they are both focused on the ball. The rules are intended to protect the players but in reality they put them at risk. And do you even know what the rules say exactly about what is legal and what is illegal when jumping in the air?

According to FIFA, the only rule that could apply is "kicks or attempts to kick an opponent" (http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/footballdevelopment/technicalsupport/refereeing/laws-of-the-game/law/newsid=1290868.html). If you jump and your legs flail, that isn't automatically a foul if you make contact with another player. It's highly subjective of the ref whether it's a foul or not.

Splash!
Fri, 06-20-2014, 09:03 AM
How is the one jumping second at as much risk as the first?

Almost always, the one jumping later is at a greater risk of head injury. Not even going to bother explaining that one...

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 10:28 AM
Almost always, the one jumping later is at a greater risk of head injury. Not even going to bother explaining that one...

Sure he is at risk of getting kicked or elbowed in the head, if he chooses to jump at the ball when an opponent is already airborne. But the greater danger is to the guy who jumps first, as he can get undercut or get hit when he's not looking. You're assuming they both jump at the same time. In the video with Pepe's antics, he's clearly airborne well before an opponent leaps at him. As I said, he's defending himself, which whether dirty or illegal, is smart.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 02:47 PM
And now England is officially out. If a team is eliminated, do they still play any remaining games in the round robin?

KrayZ33
Fri, 06-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Sure he is at risk of getting kicked or elbowed in the head, if he chooses to jump at the ball when an opponent is already airborne. But the greater danger is to the guy who jumps first, as he can get undercut or get hit when he's not looking. You're assuming they both jump at the same time. In the video with Pepe's antics, he's clearly airborne well before an opponent leaps at him. As I said, he's defending himself, which whether dirty or illegal, is smart.

its as if you've never seen a duel between two players going for a header without injury or a foul.. and again, its not "smart", he's not even doing it to avoid injury on himself

"Better shoot that guy before he shoots me, he might do it! HE MIGHT DO IT!"

and on a side note, that foul counts as "jumps at an opponent".. just saying
contact doesn't have to be made, intimidation and distraction is enough

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 04:09 PM
its as if you've never seen a duel between two players going for a header without injury or a foul.. and again, its not "smart", he's not even doing it to avoid injury on himself

"Better shoot that guy before he shoots me, he might do it! HE MIGHT DO IT!"

No, but why risk it when it's your livelihood and you stand to lose millions or even end or ruin your career due to injury? You should protect yourself, and if that means scaring opponents so they don't jump at you or even to discourage them from playing the ball, then that's pretty smart. You can't say for sure he doesn't do it to avoid injury on himself, you don't know.

There are "tough guys" in every sport that you hate to play against. Some of what they do is considered dirty, some is illegal, but it's effective.

KrayZ33
Fri, 06-20-2014, 04:27 PM
No, but why risk it when it's your livelihood and you stand to lose millions or even end or ruin your career due to injury?

because you give the opponents several (unecessary) free kicks which might result in goals. which leads to you being benched and ending your career
playing the player (thats what "if that means scaring opponents so they don't jump at you or even to discourage them from playing the ball" means) instead of the ball is a foul, that is a fact, you might as well grab the ball with your hands instead of jumping, the result is the same
I'll stop discussing this now though... this is a waste of time.

Animeniax
Fri, 06-20-2014, 04:37 PM
As bad as Pepe may be, he's still a star and fan favorite. His team loves him (maybe not all but enough) and his fans love him, which answers the original question.

Yes, I'm sure you have much more important things to do. As do I.

Ryllharu
Sun, 06-22-2014, 07:01 PM
Suck it Arch.

2-2. Portugal still at -4

Dark Dragon
Sun, 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM
15 seconds, damn it all. It could have been a guaranteed 6 points.

Portugal is gone for sure, there is no way they're scoring 6+ goals vs Ghana the way they're playing.

Animeniax
Sun, 06-22-2014, 10:16 PM
I kinda feel bad for finding someone to blame, but Bradley fucked up big time. I haven't checked commentary on TV or online, but I hope they're roasting him for making such a boneheaded play that led to the goal.

rockmanj
Mon, 06-23-2014, 12:17 AM
That US game was really exciting despite the draw result. Both of the Portugal goals seemed to come from momentary lapses in concentration and/or judgment. Even the first goal they scored at the beginning of the game where the defender gave the crossing man too much room. I think we can deal with Germany; they didn't look amazing against Ghana. France, on the other hand, is terrifying.

Animeniax
Mon, 06-23-2014, 06:00 AM
The US had a few lapses in concentration. If Ronaldo had been on his game, the score would have been more like 4-2 Portugal. That first goal was ridiculous, Cameron kicked it straight to Nani for the goal.

One thing that bugged me was how selfish some of the players seem to be. Two US players go down with non-foul injuries late in the game, roll around on the ground for a couple minutes, then refuse to be subbed out. One of them, Beasley looked all of his 32 years in the waning minutes and had trouble keeping up with the play, but stayed on the field.

Animeniax
Tue, 06-24-2014, 04:07 PM
Uruguay's star Suarez bites an opposing player. I guess he was hungry for some Italian. The guy's nickname is "Cannibal" and this will be his third biting infraction in his career (that we know of). Fucking amazing sport, truly the sport of kings.

David75
Mon, 06-30-2014, 01:14 PM
Like the previous match, France had a difficult game with lots of technical mistakes. Seems like the group is fairly tired, which is usual at that point in a world cup. The Nigeria also suffered from fatigue and it seems in the last 15 minutes were not able to keep enough pressure and let the match go. It is to be noted that in the first 20 minutes of second half, the Nigerians were clearly dominating and lost their chance in changing the game. But maybe then, they lost the energy and pressure that would give the French opportunities later in the game.

Next opponent is either Germany or Algeria. We'll know in the next 4 hours.
A France/Algeria game would be a nightmare, prone to civial war... no really. Anytime Algeria wins or loses a game (for the past 5 years), there are burnt/vandalised cars or shops. You understand that I'd rather have Germany win against Algeria, not for the sport, but for peace reasons...

Animeniax
Mon, 06-30-2014, 03:07 PM
I want to see Pepe in a match against Suarez and Robben. Bunch of tools deserve one another.

rockmanj
Mon, 06-30-2014, 11:34 PM
Like the previous match, France had a difficult game with lots of technical mistakes. Seems like the group is fairly tired, which is usual at that point in a world cup. The Nigeria also suffered from fatigue and it seems in the last 15 minutes were not able to keep enough pressure and let the match go. It is to be noted that in the first 20 minutes of second half, the Nigerians were clearly dominating and lost their chance in changing the game. But maybe then, they lost the energy and pressure that would give the French opportunities later in the game.

Next opponent is either Germany or Algeria. We'll know in the next 4 hours.
A France/Algeria game would be a nightmare, prone to civial war... no really. Anytime Algeria wins or loses a game (for the past 5 years), there are burnt/vandalised cars or shops. You understand that I'd rather have Germany win against Algeria, not for the sport, but for peace reasons...

Looks like you got your wish...I am not sure who will win FRA v GER, but hopefully it is a good match. Friday will have some good games! And tomorrow the US faces off against Belgium. I don't like our chances, but if we can stay focused on defense and do well on our short passing near the box, I think we can win.

Carnage
Tue, 07-01-2014, 03:39 AM
I want to see Pepe in a match against Suarez and Robben. Bunch of tools deserve one another.

What did Robben do?

Animeniax
Tue, 07-01-2014, 08:02 AM
What did Robben do?

He dove a couple times in the match with Nigeria, then admitted to it in a post-match interview. Of course then video highlights of him diving throughout his career popped up so you can see what a p.o.s. he is.

rockmanj
Tue, 07-01-2014, 10:55 AM
He dove a couple times in the match with Nigeria, then admitted to it in a post-match interview. Of course then video highlights of him diving throughout his career popped up so you can see what a p.o.s. he is.

You are knocking a soccer player for diving? As abhorrent as diving is, everyone knows that it is part of the game. I would actually give him props for admitting to it. The most disturbing thing about Arjen Robben for me is that he looks like he is about 42 years old and is younger than me.

He is also really fast (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2659972/Arjen-Robben-fastest-footballer-world-rapid-sprint-Holland-against-Spain-World-Cup-2014.html)

Animeniax
Tue, 07-01-2014, 01:36 PM
You are knocking a soccer player for diving? As abhorrent as diving is, everyone knows that it is part of the game. I would actually give him props for admitting to it. The most disturbing thing about Arjen Robben for me is that he looks like he is about 42 years old and is younger than me.

He is also really fast (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2659972/Arjen-Robben-fastest-footballer-world-rapid-sprint-Holland-against-Spain-World-Cup-2014.html)

Yeah I guess I'm not such a huge fan that I forgive a problem that is endemic to the game. I don't know that I will ever be able to forgive such lack of sportsmanship. It's pervasive in hockey now too, so much so that they had to institute a penalty for diving. Can you imagine if guys flopped or exaggerated holds and interference to draw penalties in American football? The fans wouldn't stand for it.

I can't give a guy like Robben props for admitting it when he does it so matter-of-factly and unashamedly. He said, "I probably shouldn't be doing that" or some pansy shit in defense of his actions.

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-01-2014, 02:19 PM
You are knocking a soccer player for diving?

you are not? where are you from? italy?

just because the majority does it, doesn't mean its okay..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex6SpIllxiw
not saying he "never" does it, I wouldn't know because I'm not watching him regulary. however, the video is very clear on why diving is annoying, bad and shouldn't be done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrGgabJXowk

just look at it! this guys is like.. what? 5'8 / 1,70m? its so much fun to watch him *fight* through all that pulling and tripping. Diving should be punished much harder, but its way to difficult to identify it on the spot.... sadly

darkshadow
Wed, 07-02-2014, 01:20 AM
They never played Nigeria.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Yeah it was one of those useless foreign teams, who cares really. Way to miss the point.

rockmanj
Wed, 07-02-2014, 09:20 PM
I can't give a guy like Robben props for admitting it when he does it so matter-of-factly and unashamedly. He said, "I probably shouldn't be doing that" or some pansy shit in defense of his actions.

This article's (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/01/fifa-diving-holland-arjen-robben-world-cup)for you, Ani.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-02-2014, 11:01 PM
This article's (http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/jul/01/fifa-diving-holland-arjen-robben-world-cup)for you, Ani.

Good article. I'm a big opponent of "it is what it is" kind of thinking. I prefer to make positive changes and the first step is to recognize there's a problem. Diving in soccer isn't a world-rending issue, but it's easier to deal with than war and hunger, yet nothing is done about it. As many issues as FIFA has, this is one that could be dealt with rather easily to improve the game's image and sportsmanship.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-03-2014, 10:22 PM
So now that the US is out, who are you all hoping wins the World Cup? Personally I want Argentina to win.

Carnage
Thu, 07-03-2014, 10:33 PM
I'm rooting for Germany, then the Netherlands.

Killa-Eyez
Fri, 07-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Netherlands vs Colombia in the finals. I favor NL, though Colombia deserves to win.

Animeniax
Fri, 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Mueller is another diving p.o.s. No wonder Pepe went after him in that first game.

Carnage
Fri, 07-04-2014, 12:04 PM
If you hate such a large part of the game why do you bother watching?

Animeniax
Fri, 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM
If you hate such a large part of the game why do you bother watching?

Come on, it's not such a large part of the game. I've watched pretty much every WC game and the only instances of diving that really bug me are Robben in the Mexico game and every game Mueller has played in. Watching the US games, I didn't see a single dive that I can recall. I just love how they flail their arms and go all 4 limbs to the sky when they are barely clipped. Fucking terribly pansy of them.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-05-2014, 12:32 AM
Neymar is out with a fractured vertebra and Thiago Silva is yellow carded out of the next game. They're screwed against Germany. It was hard to tell if Neymar was really hurt at first because he rolled around on the ground in pain the same as he does anytime he is touched by an opposing player.

David75
Sat, 07-05-2014, 01:42 AM
France is out.
So after all they really had an easier group and Switzerland was not as though as their rank suggested.
The last 3 matches were all the same, technical passes never going really well and inability to shoot right.
The most important thing in a WC is the ability to manage the base level needed to survive each game when everyone is tired.
Seems Germany has a tradition of being able to do just that.
Also, I think we should have lost the Nigeria game, which was extremely similar to that one. The main difference is that the first goal was refused. If they had goaled then, my guess is that game would have been lost in the same fashion.

I was really surprised at all the missed passes and the inability to change tactics, always repeating the same long passes that are hard to get for tired players and easy to intercept for defenders...

KrayZ33
Sat, 07-05-2014, 06:25 AM
Mueller is another diving p.o.s. No wonder Pepe went after him in that first game.

you are wrong, Müller went after Pepe, not the other way around :)

its not a dive if a foul has been committed btw
just saying, what müller is doing is play-acting

However, when did Müller dive against France. I remember Klose overreacting to some shirt pulling, but not Müller doing anything outrageous this time

Animeniax
Sat, 07-05-2014, 11:12 AM
you are wrong, Müller went after Pepe, not the other way around :)

its not a dive if a foul has been committed btw
just saying, what müller is doing is play-acting

However, when did Müller dive against France. I remember Klose overreacting to some shirt pulling, but not Müller doing anything outrageous this time

Sorry, can't tell if you're being sarcastic, but I like this article from Slate:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/16/dive_of_the_day.html (http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_spot/2014/06/16/germany_versus_portugal_dive_of_the_day_pepe_attac ks_thomas_m_ller_s_beautiful.html)

I can't say when Mueller dived against France, I just tend to post immediately after seeing an instance. I guess none were so bad by most standards, I've still new to this game so any exaggerated fall is upsetting.

Play-acting is a nice way of putting it. The official term is "simulation" which is a bs way of hiding a shitty aspect of the sport.

edit: And Argentina scores!

rockmanj
Sat, 07-05-2014, 11:16 AM
France is out.
So after all they really had an easier group and Switzerland was not as though as their rank suggested.
The last 3 matches were all the same, technical passes never going really well and inability to shoot right.
The most important thing in a WC is the ability to manage the base level needed to survive each game when everyone is tired.
Seems Germany has a tradition of being able to do just that.
Also, I think we should have lost the Nigeria game, which was extremely similar to that one. The main difference is that the first goal was refused. If they had goaled then, my guess is that game would have been lost in the same fashion.

I was really surprised at all the missed passes and the inability to change tactics, always repeating the same long passes that are hard to get for tired players and easy to intercept for defenders...

I was thinking the same. Germany's precision passing and discipline was too much for France. Too bad about Brazil too. I think they can still do it, but having both Neymar injured and Silva out will be quite challenging for Germany. Maybe someone can step up and be a hero for them.

Also, this moment (https://vine.co/v/MUjJlQbmjTP) looked like it was about to get weirdly erotic.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-05-2014, 06:38 PM
Good game Netherlands vs Costa Rica... and no blatant dives! I knew they could do it. When Robben isn't being a pansy diver, he's actually a really good player.

Killa-Eyez
Sat, 07-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Unnecessary prolonging of the game. van Persie ruined a 100% goal chance. It should've been 3-0 Netherlands. Again, we won with luck cause keeper Navas suffered a minor injury during Robben's corner kick followed by Kuyt's goal attempt with a header and was maybe not fit enough to stop penalties. We won, but if we keep this up, Argentina will destroy us.

Animeniax
Sat, 07-05-2014, 08:41 PM
At least your team beat the string of losses in extra time/PKs. Costa Rica gave it away in the penalty kicks.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 07-06-2014, 12:56 AM
I did not enjoy it though. I know the players can score. They just didn't. Very frustrating. It didn't have to resort to penalty kicks.
But we're through, BY penalty kicks. They have never been our forte but this time around we know that if it comes to it, we CAN do 'em. Kuyt's penalty kick was u83r l33t.

The linesman was blatantly partial. That or he really was Asian and should open his eyes a little wider. There were at least 2 instances of an off-side call of which I'm certain no off-side play was made. Make Monay (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10918321/Football-match-fixing-deal-casts-cloud-over-World-Cup.html).

Brazil without Neymar will prolly lose from Germany. If Germany wins, they'll prolly get the 2014 cup.
Here's hoping Netherlands won't choke and will actually play the way they can and should for the upcoming 2 matches. We might have a chance.

David75
Sun, 07-06-2014, 02:23 AM
I really think they should pace the tournament slower. We get very dull matches because everyone is so exhausted. Add heat to that, and matches are just painful to watch. I understand they have to play games early due to target audience timezones. But playing with that kind of heat and Sun in your face really is far from a good idea.
Video isn't as beautiful, because the Sun washes out colors, players suffer from heat and light. But sure, watching games late in the night for Europeans isn't an option it seems...

MFauli
Sun, 07-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Well, hopefully Germany makes it this time.

Assuming they beat Brazil, a final against the Netherlands will be VERY difficult, though. The German team as playing against France wouldn´t have stood a chance against the super aggressive playstyle of yesterday´s Netherlands.

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-06-2014, 11:34 AM
Why not? both France and Germany played very good football

MFauli
Sun, 07-06-2014, 12:01 PM
France vs Germany was a terrible match all around.

Animeniax
Sun, 07-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Germany has look fairly average to my untrained eyes, and the Costa Rican defense stifled the Dutch. I'm still hoping for an Argentina win.

I really think they should pace the tournament slower. We get very dull matches because everyone is so exhausted. Add heat to that, and matches are just painful to watch. I understand they have to play games early due to target audience timezones. But playing with that kind of heat and Sun in your face really is far from a good idea.

I think the 3-4 days between matches is long enough to recover between matches, but maybe more breaks during the game would be better for the players and quality of play. Seeing lots of players cramp up and slow down in the 2nd halves, and a decent number of these matches are going to extra periods.

rockmanj
Sun, 07-06-2014, 12:48 PM
The thing about Costa Rica is that they played an extremely defensive formation...basically like a brick wall. I don't even think they were looking to score. In their own way, they outplayed the Netherlands. That being said, I am looking forward to the next few matches.

Killa-Eyez
Sun, 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM
The thing about Costa Rica is that they played an extremely defensive formation...basically like a brick wall. I don't even think they were looking to score. In their own way, they outplayed the Netherlands. That being said, I am looking forward to the next few matches.

I think Argentina will be playing in a similar manner against Netherlands which could result in a similar outcome. Let's hope not and Messi gets his teammates behind him to score a few. I know that when NED gets scored against, they get hungry(ier). When that happens, it should be a sensational match.

rockmanj
Sun, 07-06-2014, 02:48 PM
I doubt Argentina will play so conservatively. I think the only reason Costa Rica did so is because they knew they were outclassed in terms of offensive power and would not win a shootout against the Netherlands' superior attack. They also have a very disciplined defense. Argentina is a well rounded team with the best player in the world and have the ability to go toe to toe with NDL. In fact, I would not be surprised if van Gaal put an extra defender out there for the Dutch team (they have been playing with only 3 this tournament) to deal with Messi and Higuan. I would say that they are probably fairly evenly matched.

Animeniax
Sun, 07-06-2014, 02:59 PM
That is my feeling on it too, CR just doesn't have the ability to compete with the Dutch offensively so they played defensively and tried to capitalize on mistakes and chances. It worked quite well for them, shutting down teams with normally awesome offenses. Doesn't make for the most exciting matches unfortunately.

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-08-2014, 03:27 PM
Brazil is getting wrecked, yes!!

Animeniax
Tue, 07-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Wow what a massacre! There may be rioting in the streets of Brazil tonight. The German team should stop scoring, for their own safety.

Killa-Eyez
Tue, 07-08-2014, 04:24 PM
Lol, Cidade de Deus...

I expected Germany to win, but this hard?

All over my facebook:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entL_poYlVU

Ryllharu
Tue, 07-08-2014, 04:58 PM
- First time any WC team getting 7 goals in a semi-final
- Brazil's worst loss since 1920
- Germany has ended Brazil's winning streak of winning at home (formerly 62 wins)
- Klose becomes highest ever scorer in the World Cup (16 goals in 23 games)

I liked the adorable hugs from the German team to the Brazilians after the game was over.

edit:

BBC, I love you:

"David Luiz has lost his head, big style. He is not happy with Thomas Muller's challenge but then wildly swings at him, he tries to smash Muller into the stands but, as is befitting his performance tonight, he can't connect. An air-kick and more humiliation. No cards from the ref though."

"Marcelo caps a nightmarish performance by chasing 45 yards downfield to meet a crossfield pass -and then missing the ball altogether."

Carnage
Tue, 07-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Just fucking sucks that Germany couldn't defeat Brazil with two of the latter's best players on the field.

rockmanj
Tue, 07-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Ugh...that was rough. Hopefully the game is entertaining tomorrow.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Ugh...that was rough. Hopefully the game is entertaining tomorrow.

Yeah that was the worst part of it, the game was not fun to watch at all. Once your team is out, you should still be able to see a good match.

KrayZ33
Wed, 07-09-2014, 12:01 AM
ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!?

I, for my part, certainly was - heh.

David75
Wed, 07-09-2014, 12:10 AM
I hope for Germany they did not lose too much strength getting all those goals. Like I did hope for France, and then they somehow lost their edge...
Winning that way is dangerous for stamina and the will to fight in the next match.

Animeniax
Wed, 07-09-2014, 07:28 AM
I heard Brazil opened a government commission to investigate why they lost the WC final in 1998. Meanwhile in current news there was a mass robbery at a beach in Brazil and gangsters shooting assault rifles in the air when their local team scored a goal. WTF Brazil?

@David: I want Germany to lose and bad, so here's hoping you jinxed them. Muller has such a punchable face, coupled with his diving I hope he eats an elbow in the next match.

rockmanj
Wed, 07-09-2014, 09:16 AM
I hope for Germany they did not lose too much strength getting all those goals. Like I did hope for France, and then they somehow lost their edge...
Winning that way is dangerous for stamina and the will to fight in the next match.

I don't think they will have that problem. My thought is that the German team consists of deceptively human soccer robots. They never tire, have laser precise passing and NO EMOTION. "MEIN ZIEL ZU GEWINNEN bei Fußball" would probably be how they respond to any question.

Carnage
Wed, 07-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Yeah they were very calm in their interviews after the game and the coach even basically admitted they won by such a large margin because of Brazil's mistakes. He made note that they won't let it get to their heads going into the Final match. I do like the Netherlands but I really want to see Messi vs. Germany.

KrayZ33
Wed, 07-09-2014, 12:53 PM
They never tire, have laser precise passing and NO EMOTION.

....and we have him
http://www.wimp.com/goalkeeperquarterback/

:)

Killa-Eyez
Thu, 07-10-2014, 09:15 AM
I called it, and it happened. Same as Costa Rica, Argentina played some pussy soccer conservatively. Not much NED could do about it but they should've put everything on everything to make a goal. The line up was good, if you've just begun the World Cup... van Persie recently had a virus and was weak throughout the game and de Jong still suffered from his injury. I wouldn't have picked them as the starting line up. van Gaal should've saved his last substitute to replace the goalkeeper again. Cillessen couldn't stop a penalty if his life depended on it. And what's with picking Vlaar as the first penalty shooter!? Dude's a defender! Penalties prove to be a weakness for NED afterall.

But hey, what do I care, I don't even like soccer.

Animeniax
Thu, 07-10-2014, 09:27 AM
Sorry your team lost, but defense wins championships, if not more fans. Both teams played conservatively. I think there was a total of 5 saves (4 for Dutch and 1 for Argentine goalie) between the two goalkeepers during the entire 120 minutes.

Argentina played without di Maria and might be without Mascherano against Germany if he has a concussion.

Obligatory hot soccer fan from that game:

KrayZ33
Sun, 07-13-2014, 04:24 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

(wohoo)

rockmanj
Sun, 07-13-2014, 11:09 PM
All in all, a pretty interesting world cup. Too bad the Brazilians went out so badly.

Animeniax
Mon, 07-14-2014, 08:30 AM
It was good, not great. The semi and final games were defense-heavy and didn't showcase what some of these guys can do. I don't know if it was the heat or something else.

Carnage
Mon, 07-14-2014, 10:55 AM
After 7-1 no one wanted to take the risk of a shameful defeat. I was rooting for Messi, but I'll take the German win. Their team was overall best and performed exceedingly well last world cup as well.

KrayZ33
Mon, 07-14-2014, 11:15 AM
https://mediacru.sh/eCmWL1XHsgWs

knockout

Animeniax
Mon, 07-14-2014, 12:19 PM
After 7-1 no one wanted to take the risk of a shameful defeat. I was rooting for Messi, but I'll take the German win. Their team was overall best and performed exceedingly well last world cup as well.

Spain and Portugal losing big during round robin probably didn't help either.

I was rooting for Argentina but the absence of a guy like di Maria was too much. I can't root for a German squad with a guy like Muller diving and being such a pansy. He dove in the final. They are a good team though.

rockmanj
Mon, 07-14-2014, 11:42 PM
FYI, I don't think Messi should have won the Golden Ball. Robben or James played much better.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-15-2014, 06:57 AM
FYI, I don't think Messi should have won the Golden Ball. Robben or James played much better.

Few would argue with you about Messi, he looked pretty average through the last few games. Robben was fairly stifled by good defense in his last few games as well. Honestly no one (outside of goalies) looked dominant or even impressive the entire cup.

KrayZ33
Tue, 07-15-2014, 01:12 PM
Honestly no one (outside of goalies) looked dominant or even impressive the entire cup.

RODRIGUEZ
ROBBEN
SCHÜRRLE
LAHM
MESSI
NEYMAR

to name a few players that stood out

Messi had to play against at least 2 players in every game during the finals... more often than not, sometimes against *3*, that alone is worth the Golden Ball

rockmanj
Tue, 07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
And just for fun, here is a photo (http://screamer.deadspin.com/hey-check-out-mario-gotzes-boat-boner-1604597706/+Tom_Ley?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow) of Mario Gotze's boner. I am sure we have all been in that situation.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-15-2014, 08:44 PM
RODRIGUEZ
ROBBEN
SCHÜRRLE
LAHM
MESSI
NEYMAR

to name a few players that stood out

Messi had to play against at least 2 players in every game during the finals... more often than not, sometimes against *3*, that alone is worth the Golden Ball
Yes they stood out, but mostly in the early games before the semis, and none were quite impressive. You couldn't point them out to a casual fan and say, "there's a star player."

I discount Messi because he muffed that penalty kick in the final, but true every time he touched the ball it was exciting to see what he could do.

rockmanj
Tue, 07-15-2014, 08:57 PM
Yes they stood out, but mostly in the early games before the semis, and none were quite impressive. You couldn't point them out to a casual fan and say, "there's a star player."

I discount Messi because he muffed that penalty kick in the final, but true every time he touched the ball it was exciting to see what he could do.

I felt like Robben was playing very well despite his flopping ways...he always commanded 2 or more defenders and made a lot of great chances for his team. And Rodriguez did get the golden boot.

Carnage
Tue, 07-15-2014, 09:49 PM
Are you kidding? That must have been an insane amount of pressure, literally his entire career in one kick.

Also, even in the quarter-finals games it was clear Messi had been covered by minimum 2 opponents whenever he had the ball, often times 3. Yes, including the Netherlands and Germany games.

Animeniax
Tue, 07-15-2014, 11:39 PM
I felt like Robben was playing very well despite his flopping ways...he always commanded 2 or more defenders and made a lot of great chances for his team. And Rodriguez did get the golden boot.

He was impressive and probably MVP for his team, but with the lack of goals and flopping, I'm glad he didn't get any official tournament accolades.

Are you kidding? That must have been an insane amount of pressure, literally his entire career in one kick.

Also, even in the quarter-finals games it was clear Messi had been covered by minimum 2 opponents whenever he had the ball, often times 3. Yes, including the Netherlands and Germany games.I don't doubt he was under ridiculous pressure that would have most men wetting their pants, but that's why he's the star and regarded as one of the best players in the game. He's supposed to perform under those conditions where lesser players fail. I wouldn't say it's career defining, but another failed chance to prove doubters wrong.