PDA

View Full Version : Worthy dubs

neflight86
Mon, 06-09-2014, 01:49 PM
I searched for an existing thread but had no luck. Apologies if this is a repeat.

As one who endeavors to share the wonderful world of anime (hold your snickers, please) with select friends and family, any such candidates (anime) must undergo a comprehensive scrutiny to filter out the most polarizing elements that may or may not have been touched on in a recent thread.

One such element I often catalog as a major plus is a competent English dub being available. It can really elevate my enjoyment of a show or film and honestly lend to my and I assume others' ability to follow a more complex plot. Here, if not archived elsewhere, I would like to reach out to you for which works, in your opinion, have good to great dub work, if you concede such a thing can exist.

I believe that by and large, dubs have become far less painful on average, and that today's good dub is more like yesterday's great dub.

Recently re-watching Mardock Scramble is what prompted this, as I was surprised at how much more I enjoyed it the second time due to its marvelous dub, in my opinion.

Please, share your experiences and recommendations if you have any.

poopdeville
Mon, 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Anything by Miyazaki gets dubbed well.

FLCL if they're slightly experienced anime watchers. It might be too "random" for the boring, though. This one will be polarizing.

Unfortunately, that's all I can think of. I usually just watch subs, if I watch at all. That's not to say there aren't other ones, though.

neflight86
Mon, 06-09-2014, 06:05 PM
I would heartily agree on both counts. Miyazaki films are/were lucky to catch the eye of a Disney producer, and the production value that brings.

FLCL's dub is amazing to me because it captures the feeling or soul, if I may, of the show. That is the only reason that the blatant overacting was neither grating or annoying to me, along with the skillful tone shifts the voice actors handled so well.

I expect it to be, but isn't voice acting more prestigious in Japan than elsewhere?

lelouch
Mon, 06-09-2014, 08:31 PM
I prefer the Yu Yu Hakusho dub to the sub.

MasterOfMoogles
Mon, 06-09-2014, 10:31 PM
I was actually really impressed by the Attack on Titan dub.
I only saw the first 3 episodes of the dub, but I thought they did a really good job.